Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    damian1962damian1962 Member Posts: 28
    I can't accept the fact the new Fit does not include all the features the Japan Fit does. Nobody in America is so cheap they deserve less a car. And nobody in America is so cheap they wouldn't pay a couple gran more for all the goodies. America deserves the same quality not less. And since this site is about MPG www.fueleconomy.gov nails the real facts on that too... and it's 300 miles per tank and 31 mpg combined. with no more than 34 highway. And these are the real numbers.
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    damian1962,

Before you get your tickets and move to Japan to buy your Fit, I want to mention our latest mpg figures here in central Texas.

As I mentioned the other day, the temps have been 98 to 102 - everyday. The AC is on from May thru October and maybe more. Our in-town mpg has averaged 30 mpg w/ the Sport AT. Yesterday, we drove from Austin to Corpus and back (had to do some quick stuff) with AC on and averaged 43.3 mpg with 2 1/2 people and no cargo. No too bad. :):)

My husband and I alternated the driving duties....

Regards,
    Bubba
  • Options
    tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I can't accept the fact the new Fit does not include all the features the Japan Fit does. Nobody in America is so cheap they deserve less a car. And nobody in America is so cheap they wouldn't pay a couple gran more for all the goodies. America deserves the same quality not less. And since this site is about MPG www.fueleconomy.gov nails the real facts on that too... and it's 300 miles per tank and 31 mpg combined. with no more than 34 highway. And these are the real numbers.

Actually the Japanese Fit has a LOT more features than the American version. The JDM is different because Japan is mostly city and some rural when you really get outside the city. Small cars are very popular there. In the US large cars and SUV's and Trucks are the norm.
    The Fit also costs less in Japan than the US when you convert Yen to dollars.
    This is a decision by Honda and it's so they don't compete with the Civic a car that sells in very small numbers in Japan.
  • Options
    I don't buy the argument that the Civic would be affected in sales if the Fit came fully loaded. People who like the civic wont buy the Fit, and Fit Lovers would be on cloud 9 and would fork up the extra cash.

I like the Mazda 5 better, it suits my needs better. And for the Texan person who says move to Japan. I like the 30 plus beaches with crysal water down here. I love the resorts and Old San Juan to much. I am 365 days a tourist in the summer. You can't say that... can ya.. and just in case you also want to cheap shot me with the hurricains, houses down here are concrete not carton like in Texas where tornados wipe out entire communities. Stick to the subject the Fit should be better in everyway and it should give better mpg's. And yeah you would get more mpg in texas when the tornado winds help ya...Fit= :lemon:
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    So why can't these small cars get better fuel economy. Saying they don't, isn't an answer

Just because you say they should isn't a reason either. And just because older civic hatchbacks and geo metros would get 40mpg for some people isn't a reason either. Those cars were smaller, lighter, polluted more, were less safe, less stable, had poorer braking, etc...so of course they got better mpg then modern cars. Plus what speed where you driving them to get over 40mpg?

My Fit gets in the mid 30's MPG average and high 30s mpg on the highway and is safe, spacious, and handles great. Yes, I possibly could get better MPG in a corolla, civic or yaris (unless you're one of those only getting in the mid 20's MPG average for those cars...just read the other forums or fuelseconomy.gov), but then I'd drive the car less often because those cars aren't as practical as the Fit, in that with the Fit I can hold four people plus a lot of stuff behind the 2nd row and even stuff under the 2nd row. I couldn't carry that much stuff with 4 passengers in the Civic, Corolla or Yaris, so I'd end up having to drive our big vehicle.

But if you're just looking at MPG, then go find a 15yr old geo metro and have fun! ;)
  • Options
    Go to just about any country outside of the USA and people drive smaller and more practical cars. Why don't people buy Civics in Japan...because they're not stupid enough to do so when the Fit is nearly just as spacious inside, and has more cargo space. The same answer throughout all of Europe, where a Focus is considered a full size car. They don't drive SUVs, big minivans, etc, so when they buy a vehicle, they want it to be practical, but that doesn't mean they don't want all of the luxury features that are available.

In America, we want big vehicles and if a small vehicle like a Civic is going to cost the same as an Accord, then a typical American will buy the Accord just because it's bigger, so there's no point in a manufacturer putting so many options on a small car that the price will overlap their bigger model because Americans won't buy them.

So for the few of us that like small, practical cars, we're at the mercy of limited choices because of the overwhelming stupid (in my opinion) choices of the average American consumer when it comes to car purchases.
  • Options
    wiseone2wiseone2 Member Posts: 15
    The Fit appears to be a good car, but the posts for mpg, seem to show this isn't
    Hondas best effort. In 1996, I bought a well cared for '90 Civic CRX HF with 70000 miles on it. Gas was cheap and not a big deal at all. After a few months, I noticed, I rarely ever needed to put gas in it. So I checked my mileage for the first time, 53 mpg. I had no idea. Manual trans, no a/c, no pwr windows, small tires.
    Why can't Honda do this today??
  • Options
    jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    I've heard that recirculating a/c is cooler and that does make sense (since the air is already cool); but for some reason the a/c air seems colder when set on Outside air, even though the fan isn't blowing as much air out. I live in Arizona and a/c use seriously affects my mpg; I've made an art of shutting it on and off as a drive: on for coasting, off every time else. At the height of summer it gets so hot I alternate between "1" (instead of off) and "3".
  • Options
    Manual trans, no a/c, no pwr windows, small tires.

Nobody would buy it without an automatic transmission, power windows, 8 airbags, anitlock brakes, a more swacious interior, etc... Plus I think when people remember the MPG from 10 - 20 years ago, I don't think they were very scientific with their calculation because gas was so cheap. Plus they might not have been driving 70-80mph, but only around 60, and the Fit can get 40mpg easily if only driving at 60mph.
  • Options
    but for some reason the a/c air seems colder when set on Outside air, even though the fan isn't blowing as much air out.

I'm not sure what you mean. When set to Outside air vs Inside air and the fan speed is set to 1, you'll get a greater airflow when set to Outside air because the outside vent is open, so the moving car is creating the greater air movement, as well as the fan. Maybe that's why you feel cooler...because the air is moving faster.

I think the problem is that you keep shutting of the AC and then turning it on, so you now have to re-cool the car again. It might be better just to leave the setting to fan speed 2 and on recirculate and just leave it alone to keep the temp in the car more constant. Once the AC is turned off, any car will heat up really quick. Have you tinted your windows?
  • Options
    retire36retire36 Member Posts: 6
    We have a Fit and a Tahoe. You would probably consider it stupid to have a Tahoe. We use it to pull a ski boat and haul our family of 4, a Great Dane and usually one of the girls friends to our place on the Delta on weekends during the summer. Try that with a Fit or a Corolla.

Our girls are going off to college, one this year and one next year. These activities have kept our girls busy and the family close for several years.

We love the Fit and drive it 2-3 times as much as the Tahoe.

We don't think buying the Tahoe was a stupid Americana's decision.

Dave
  • Options
    The Fit appears to be a good car, but the posts for mpg, seem to show this isn't
    Hondas best effort. In 1996, I bought a well cared for '90 Civic CRX HF with 70000 miles on it. Gas was cheap and not a big deal at all. After a few months, I noticed, I rarely ever needed to put gas in it. So I checked my mileage for the first time, 53 mpg. I had no idea. Manual trans, no a/c, no pwr windows, small tires.

According to bobw, it's because older cars are not very good. I've owned older cars and they were very good in economy. I guess the price we pay is measured in fuel economy. Safety or fuel economy and our Gov't picked safety. Overseas cars must be horrifically unsafe to get such great fuel economy, probably fold like tissue paper in a collision with a strong wind. :blush: At least that's the attitude many people seem to have.
    Honda Can do it today, but they don't, neither does anyone else. Just the Prius. I did better in my old Geo Metro. I drove about 70mph at that time and putting the A/C on was like an air brake. You felt like the car hit an unseen wall. still I had a Civic DX Hatch and it was always in the 40mpg range with no babying just driving it.
    The Fit is underpowered, needs a bit more HP maybe 20hp more and it would be fine.
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    damian1962,

You must be off your meds again!

Regards,
    Bubba

PS Please use both eyes when you read the postings here.
  • Options
    bam8bam8 Member Posts: 7
    I've read posts on other website re. mpg when driving the Yaris and there does seem to be some 28-32 mpg drivers who are confused as to why the numbers are so low. There is clearly variation in how folks drive or think they are driving..and some variations in the vehicles? It just seems like, with the fit, there are more complaints on low numbers. Folks don't always id whether on not they are driving a base or sports version or mt or at...how much stuff or people they are hauling ect.

I clearly gave up some safty features buying the yaris (the airbags I cared about) and loved the storage options in the fit..and the 4 door hatch. But balencing out $,versus features versus gas mileage....the Yaris won the last round and I don't regret it.

My ideal vehicle would be a combination of both. I have no interest in all the bells and whistles..I actually prefer less of that as it is less to go wrong :). My list is short..safe, good gas mileage (35+) good clearance, 4 door hatch option so I can put a rack on top and a good radio! Sold. Lets see what the 2009's look like!
  • Options
    Bob3 your very active on this site. I read some of your post and you are really up to date on many things. Thanks for that. My friend bought a civic after seeing my sport fit. Civics now a day are as big as honda accords. When I saw her civic I was amazed. It's a nice classy sedan at a very good price. But the Fit is very sporty looking and can look better with many add ons. Mine has a sport grille and a Form Fit hood deflector. I looks great. I only wish I had a sunroof.
  • Options
    Bubba Gundvalsenn

In the desert.....there's a horse with no name. I bet your fit is very nice too. If you need more stuff for it. www.hondamajestic.com they have the best prices I've seen. The best mpg I've gotten is 34mpg.
  • Options
    In your case based on your needs it wasn't necessarily a stupid decision.

I'm talking about folks who buy an Expedition just to drive back and forth to work. People who don't ever use it for the reason it's designed.

That being said, for the price of a Yukon you may have been able to get an Odyssey or Sienna that has more space inside and gets better MPG.
  • Options
    I did better in my old Geo Metro. I drove about 70mph at that time and putting the A/C on was like an air brake. You felt like the car hit an unseen wall. still I had a Civic DX Hatch and it was always in the 40mpg range with no babying just driving it.

Exactly my point. When I'm driving my Fit, I can turn on/off the AC anytime and while it might affect the MPG by 1-2MPG, I don't notice any power loss. Plus the Fit is a lot taller than a Geo Metro or Civic DX Hatch, which is another reason they had better MPG, especially on the highway. And the Fit has more space inside then either of them.

I'd say the main difference to the cars in Europe is that they have manual transmissions and smaller engines, so they have better MPG. Not too complicated.
  • Options
    Civics are good cars and like you said a very classy sedan for the price but for me (family of 4 2 adults, one toddler, on infant) they aren't practical enough. Even though the Fit is much shorter then the Civic, I can fit more stuff behind the 2nd row of the Fit then I can in the trunk of the Civic. Plus you sit up higher in the Fit and have a better view around you. And in my single days, I'd still pick the Fit over the Civic, because it's a whole lot easier hauling a mountain bike in the back of the Fit than in a Civic.

On the other hand, if the Civic's trunk is big enough for a person's needs then it's a great choice for a sedan.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    (family of 4 2 adults, one toddler, on infant) they aren't practical enough

I first read that and thought "Wow, forty-two adults in a Fit?" :)

Even that wouldn't "Fit." ;)
  • Options
    igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    remember the old contests for how many people can vit into the old VW Beetle?

in due course i bet there will be youtube footage of folks doing the same with a FIT.
  • Options
    cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    The simplest way to put this before ones' eyes is to go and drive a Town Car in Italy. Many roads are so narrow you cannot navigate, fuel is so expensive you don't wanna go anywhere. I have driven a '72 Buick in Italy many years ago and it is mostly a PITA because none of the infrastructures are set up for that size car. Likewise, the US is set up for 'road monsters' and the little critters get swept up...
  • Options
    I've read posts on other website re. mpg when driving the Yaris and there does seem to be some 28-32 mpg drivers who are confused as to why the numbers are so low. There is clearly variation in how folks drive or think they are driving..and some variations in the vehicles? It just seems like, with the fit, there are more complaints on low numbers. Folks don't always id whether on not they are driving a base or sports version or mt or at...how much stuff or people they are hauling ect.

My friend who lives overseas owned a Jazz and all he ever got was 26mpg in the city which was congested and hot. The Fit seems be that you either get an economical one or you don't. The Yaris is a good city car. I'd take a Suzuki Swift Sport over it in a second if they sold them here in the US.
    I really like the Fit but the fuel economy isn't much to brag about. I'm hoping the new one will be less sensitive to how you drive it. My Civic Si never varies by more than 2mpg no matter how I drive it unless I push it over 6,000 rpms. I rarely do that so my economy hovers around 30mpg combined. That's 90hp more than the current Fit.
    I like the Fit it just needs more HP. The Scion xD has the corolla engine it it but it's basically a 5 door Yaris with a bigger engine.
    We have so many long roads and highways here that a bigger car is almost a must. I like the Yaris but it's too buzzy on the highway, peppy tho due to light weight.
    I can't wait to see what the new Fit does. I've seen the 5 door Yaris overseas. No surprises there, same as the 3 door really.
  • Options
    Exactly my point. When I'm driving my Fit, I can turn on/off the AC anytime and while it might affect the MPG by 1-2MPG, I don't notice any power loss. Plus the Fit is a lot taller than a Geo Metro or Civic DX Hatch, which is another reason they had better MPG, especially on the highway. And the Fit has more space inside then either of them.

The Fit is cavernous inside. I remember my old Geo Metro was that way as well. I moved a huge chest of drawers in it. No one believed it would fit.
    The Fit is very much the same way. My friend sold his Jazz due to poor mpg. He bought a diesel Hi-Lux which actually got better mpg than his Jazz. Gas there is now $6 a gallon, but he's over in China someplace now. I'll have to ask him what gas is over there.
    The Fit just needs a few more bhp and the mileage no doubt would go up a bit. It's just too small an engine for the car IMO.
  • Options
    gr00v3gr00v3 Member Posts: 6
    Just drove from Providence, RI to North Conway, NH, and back in a 2007 Sport AT and averaged 38.5+ MPG. This is with the A/C on.

I usually drive 70-80 mph, and I'm not afraid to go past 3000 RPM when needed. On top of that, the car was loaded up with camping gear.

Amazing!

(I just wish it had more oomph between 2nd and 3rd gear, but the paddle shifters help a lot.)
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Just read in a magazine that the '09 Fit now has 115 HP, but don't think that will make much difference in "oomph ". :confuse: :(

Kip
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yes, but if torque matched that number, that'd be an increase of nearly 10%. Wouldn't 125 lb-ft, 115hp be fantastic? I suppose that'd hurt mileage too much.
  • Options
    fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I drove around this weekend in Phoenix. I don't think the MPG is really affected at all by the AC. The non-ethanol summer makes up for it; my MPG is the same year round.

Also, always on recirculate. cooling 80 degree air vs. cooling 105 degree air. Common sense.

If you've parked in the sun for a while, then it'll be on 4 for a few minutes. Then down to 3. On the hottest days I go back and forth between 2 and 3 depending on if my skin is in direct sunlight through the windshield.
  • Options
    I drove around this weekend in Phoenix. I don't think the MPG is really affected at all by the AC. The non-ethanol summer makes up for it; my MPG is the same year round.

Some States like mine, have 10% ethanol usage all year round! :sick:
    So we never get a break. The winter blend seems to give about the same fuel economy.
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    I would like to see the Civic 1.8L engine as an option in the Fit Sport. Can't help but believe that, IF driven conservatively, it could deliver near the same MPG as the 1.5L engine.

That magazine article also said the Fit will have a Hybrid offering in the next couple of years.

I'm still hoping for a "Plug in at home" and a 60-100 mile range and 60 mph speed capability. It would serve most commuters and errand runners just fine. Should be a lot less expensive as there is no gas engine, no EPA hardware, no complicated transmission. Just a battery pack, similar but larger than the hybrids, and a controller for smooth starts and reverse.

I think the first manufacturer to offer something like that will be in the "Cat Bird" seat for a while. :)

Kip
  • Options
    question: is MPG negatively impacted with the bigger tires? for example, the '08 fit base comes with 14" tires. But if I wanted to, I could buy 15" or 16" rims/tires to fit this vehicle. I'm wondering if the bigger tires would negatively impact MPG. Opinions?

(I know the speedometer/odometer would not be accurate/need adjusting)
  • Options
    cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    The rim size is not as critical to MPG as is the width of the tire and the tread pattern. Generally a skinny hard pumped tire ~40 PSI with long, smooth groove pattern will have less roll-resistance then a wide footprint soft compound high performance rubber that will stick to the road like glue, or a wide knobby off road tire!
  • Options
    tfuisztfuisz Member Posts: 8
    The key is are the wheels/tires heavier or lighter. If they are heavier, each time you accelerate, you need to impart more energy to rotating those heavier wheels. The best MPG would come with low rolling resistance tires and the lightest wheel/tire package you can come up with. Usually, bigger wheels are heavier.
    A prius or hybrid could collect some of that energy back on braking, but a fit just turns it into heat at the brake disk.
  • Options
    shrutiwsshrutiws Member Posts: 1
    What kind of gas you use? Is this your normal MPG on day to day basis?
  • Options
    madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    My wife just filled up and she averaged right at 30 mpg. This was a combination of about 60% city and 40% highway with the air running on 3 most of the time. I have heard some folks say the mileage gets better as you go along.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The sport comes with 15 inchers and the mpg rating is the same as the base.
  • Options
    katrinka1katrinka1 Member Posts: 9
    My first (all Civics) was a 1977, then: '81, '86, '91, and '99. Only sold any of them because I was tempted by new features/colors. This '08 FIT (SPORT/AT) is such a disapointment that I am willing to trade it in for another Civic. I get 20 mpg on the highway. I am following all suggestions to improve mileage. Did I get a LEMON?????? My '91 CIVIC still gets 40 mpg. We just gave it to a needy person. That was the best year for the Honda Civic. Find one, buy it!
    Purchased the FIT on 5/1/08. ????????????? Thanks if you can help.
  • Options
    madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    20 mpg does not sound right. My wife got 30 mpg on her first tank and that was a combination of approx. 50% highway and 50% city. How long have you had yours? Normally the mileage gets better after the breakin period.
  • Options
    i wonder if they just tested the Fit Sport and applied the same ratings to the Fit Base.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. Although I have had this car since May 1, I travel, so I've not hit the 1,000 mile mark. I've been told this is the magic number.
    Otherwise, it's a great little car.
    I do know FITs with MT do hit the acclaimed mileage.
    Two weeks after I got it, I took a weekend trip and believe I hit 24 mpg. It was all highway, but with gradual ascension up to 2,000 feet. RT total was 180 miles.
    Maybe I need driving lessons!
  • Options
    I joined the site yesterday. I purchased the same vehicle (as yours) on May 1st, and record 20-24 mpg. VERY, VERY disappointing. I am still under 1,000, so am hoping mileage will improve after hitting that mark. What have you learned??? Have you altered the way you drive?
  • Options
    feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    Don't get freaked out yet. My 08 sport MT got 28 at first but now gets 39. I've got 7000 miles so break in is part of it. My techniques are changing as well. Check out these sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/
    http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

Use common sense and only use the "moderate" hypermiling techniques. I achieve 39 with 2/3rds city driving without drafting or other life threatening methods. Good luck and be patient. The fit is a sound car but a great deal of good mileage is the driver's technique.
  • Options
    I don't use any "special" techniques and get in the low to mid 30's MPG consistently over the past 20,000 miles in my sport auto. That being said, my normal driving doesn't consist of flooring it after every stop sign, no does it mean that I drive 20 MPH above the speed limit. If I got consistently in the 20s MPG, I'd be at the dealer until they fixed it, or I'd sell it on my own if they couldn't fix it, since they have a very high resale value.
  • Options
    fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    My mileage has steadily improved from mid-20's to 32-34 mpg since the break in period. Mileage didn't show marked improvement until I hit close to 10,000 miles. I've said this here before, but recent posts prompt me to write in a reminder: mileage can definitely get MUCH better w/ time, and with no change to driving behavior either. It happened to me. Mine may not be the highest mileage I've heard quoted in this forum, but still I'm convinced there's no other vehicle out there with a better price to mileage to cargo/versatility to fun-to-drive ratio. As an all-around package, I'm very pleased.
  • Options
    I have considered learning new driving techniques/what I am doing 'wrong', but I've driven the same way for 35 years and the each Civic never dipped below 30, whether city, hiway or combo. I am going to talk to the dealer, especially after reading all of the 'success' stories! Thanks!
    I sold all of my Hondas for well above blue book value, but could not sell a 'lemon' like this one, in good conscience. Bad Karma! ;)
  • Options
    Obviously poor mileage is even a bigger deal now, and I purchased the Fit after extensive research, so I 'do the math' at every fill-up and record city vs hiway. Tedious, but need the information should I, indeed, have a 'case'.
    My heart sank last week when the odometer was at 96 and the tank was exactly half full. The 'empty' light was on when I'd last filled it, which I know is not OK, but I had such high hopes. I appreciate the success story and will hang in there, but it will take me a few years to hit 10K!
    I have decided to have the vehicle checked out, however. Thanks!
    What a great forum!
  • Options
    Obviously poor mileage is even a bigger deal now, and I purchased the Fit after extensive research, so I 'do the math' at every fill-up and record city vs hiway. Tedious, but need the information should I, indeed, have a 'case'.
    My heart sank last week when the odometer was at 96 and the tank was exactly half full. The 'empty' light was on when I'd last filled it, which I know is not OK, but I had such high hopes. I appreciate the success story and will hang in there, but it will take me a few years to hit 10K!
    I have decided to have the vehicle checked out, however. Thanks

My friend had one and the best he ever got was 24-26 mpg in the city and he had the 1.3L Jazz base model.
    The manager of the dealership easily got 36 mpg or so without any special driving techniques. This was pure city driving.
    That car went through extensive testing and it was found to be a normal variance and he sold the car as he figured it should easily get 30+mpg in the city like many of the other ones were.
    When he sold it it was like brand new and only had about 6,000 km on it!
    They will not find anything wrong with yours either and my friend had the factory technicians (not the dealers technicians) fly down to figure out what was wrong with it. They hooked up all sorts of fuel meters to the car and tested it and it simply used more fuel no matter what they did. So I hope you find out what's wrong with yours but it's unlikely. :lemon:
  • Options
    watsacwatsac Member Posts: 49
    The first 1051 miles were all CITY and I averaged 23.7 MPG. :(

The next 378 miles were all HIGHWAY and I averaged 28.1 MPG. :(

So I guess technically, I do fall within the EPA estimates of 27 city (range 22-32) and 34 highway (range 28-40) but I am clearly on the low end of those ranges. :(

I'd like to know exactly where and how you have to drive to get 40 MPG! It must be all flat with no stops and no faster than 55 MPH. ;)
  • Options
    ifitifit Member Posts: 18
    How you drive can have a huge impact on the MPG. When my priority is good gas mileage, I shift gears at a much lower RPM, between 2000 and 3000 for all gears. At Amazon and other websites you can get one of the devices that will give real time MPG. These devices are plugged into the cars computer, and displayed on a little screen. I suspect that these devices are how some of the hyper mile techniques were found or measured. The Pious has a real time MPG display. Pious owners love that feature.
  • Options
    The first 1051 miles were all CITY and I averaged 23.7 MPG.
    The next 378 miles were all HIGHWAY and I averaged 28.1 MPG.
    So I guess technically, I do fall within the EPA estimates of 27 city (range 22-32) and 34 highway (range 28-40) but I am clearly on the low end of those ranges.

Ok now let's compare your figures to my 2008 Honda Civic Si. This has like a 197hp engine and a 6spd manual in it. I drive it normally and no Hypermiling techniques.
    The first real fill up after the dealers gas ran out it got 25mpg combined, that was in the winter with winter gas and before the break in was over. Since the break in period I consistently get 28-31mpg combined and that is with the crappy mandatory 10% ethanol gas we have in this State. I just drive normally. My friend drove normally with his Jazz/Fit and he got the same lousy mpg that you do, almost exactly the same.
    The Fit is a very useful little car but if you get one that gets poor economy nothing will make it improve. I know this because my friend traded cars with the General manager of the dealership who also had the exact same model and he was at like 34mpg in the same city driving the same way he always does. That's a big bump from 10.5km/l!
    He sold it and I think i would have too. My Civic Si - high performance sedan gets better mpg than a Fit and it has 90hp more! :confuse: