Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    My last MPG with my 07 Sport Auto was 37mpg for about 75% highway and 25% suburb, including about 1/4 of those miles driven by my wife who like to zip around more then me! The only change I've done is kept the speed right at 60mph instead of 65-70mph for my 20min morning commute.

The speed limit is 65mph, so by staying at 60mph, I just stay pretty much in the right lane and listen to the morning news. It's more of a relaxed drive than going faster. Plus I can mostly use the cruise control pretty much the whole way to work, so the MPG improvement is not only because of the lower speed, but also because of the constant speed, vs speeding up and slowing down by passing folks all the time.

It takes me a few more minutes to get to work, but my mpg went from 34 to 37. I don't do any coasting, hypermiling or any of that stuff. Just keep the speed a little lower on the highway and don't race from stoplight to stoplight.
  • pmeyerspmeyers Member Posts: 7
    I previously posted my experience with an optimistic mpg readout. I have a manual sport. Mine was more than 25% optimistic very early on. With my most recent fillup, the meter was only about 12% optimistic. I'm not sure if this is because the car is getting better mileage, or that the meter is "adjusting". I'm still curious to know if anyone has any ideas just what this meter is measuring. Is it engine vacuum, rather than fuel consumption and distance? Why would it get more accurate over time (the magic 1500 miles)? For my first 750 miles of mostly city driving (80% city, 20% highway), I have averaged 36.9 mpg. On the other hand, I stop the engine at stoplights, coast, shift early and do all of the hypermiling sorts of things to get the best mileage. My highway speed has been right at 65, always with cruise control. I've achieved round-trip highway mileage right at 50.0 by the meter. Actual mileage was 38 for that particular trip. I typically use cruise control and set the speed at 29 mph on 25 mph speed limit streets and take 35 mph streets whenever possible for their better mileage (set the cruise right at 37 or so).
    It's just an experiment I've been doing, to see just what sort of mileage potential the little beastie has. My criterion for deciding on the Fit in the first place was the potential to get greater than 30 mpg in town running errands. With care, it certainly can meet that standard. Also, the rumor is that the mileage will get better after the first 5,000 miles.
    Due to stopping and starting the engine at stoplights, I'll likely end up replacing the starter sooner than I otherwise would have. BTW, did you know that Honda wants more than $400 for a replacement starter and, are you ready for this, $700 for a replacement alternator. Wow.
  • byron2byron2 Member Posts: 12
    First tank on the hilly San Francisco Peninsula: avg 27.8 per the computer. One 20 mile freeway stint at 75-80 mph showed 38, but then it dropped pretty quickly for the two miles of suburban hills on either end if the freeway run.

Car has on ~220 miles on it now. Still a tight motor. Should slowly improve over time. Nice car!
  • luvindialuvindia Member Posts: 8
    This weekend I took my car for a fall vacation to NH (from NJ) - overall MPG was 42 which is just AMAZING!!! I do not have the cruise control(base model) so the speed varied from 80-60 MPH. The MPG is about 45 if you drive around 60-65 and if I put 70-80 it drops to 41 or so...
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Was your MPG based on manual calculation or the trip computer, which is very inaccurate based on reports here.
  • luvindialuvindia Member Posts: 8
    It was based on the manual calculations, the way I do it

Reset the trip odometer when I fill up the tank. Get the miles driven and divide by the fuel filled. I always fill it up, I have been doing this since I started driving cars back in 2000 - best way to get the MPG. The honda MPG meter showed 46.X but as you know that is not the correct due to roll factors. Mind its a base model and there are only 20% of the total population of FITs available. It adds 2 MPG (in EPA terms) extra compared to Sports but I think EPA MPG can be easily be beaten if driven sensibly.
  • rlh2rlh2 Member Posts: 11
    Recently purchased '09 Fit Sport with AT/NAV. Averaging 34.2 mpg over first 1200 miles with individual tank calcs of 36.3, 34.9, 32.2, and 33.5. Mixed driving, mostly highway.

Similar to other posts, digital display reading is higher.
    Fuel mileage update on our '09 Fit Sport Auto. Now on our third tank of gas and car has about 650 miles on it. Just drove from UC Davis (college tours) to the San Francisco Peninsula. All freeway and all flat. Got 37.2 MPG per the computer. The Fit's not the world's best freeway cruiser, but it did fine. Of course our '06 Avalon, which is an awesome freeway tool for long trips such as SF to LA, is a pain in the butt in town. The Fit's perfect there. Byron
  • baddog2baddog2 Member Posts: 7
    1st tank on new 09 Fit Sport AT was 34.1 mpg (calculated)... 100 miles highway + 231 miles mix of rural roads and city Not sure the dealership topped the tank as full as I did, so 0.5 gals less and I would have had 36 mpg. Hoping the 2nd tank is better and the 3rd even better. I filled it up after the Need Gas icon lit up and it took 9.7 gallons (which I think means I still had 1 gallon in the tank). Is that consistent with other 09 Fit owners experience? Just wondering how far I dare go once the gas icon comes on.
  • jdfuryjdfury Member Posts: 2
    Sounds about right. The Fuel tank capacity is 10.6 gallons. I always use the trip odo (resetting after every fill-up), so whenever it turns over 300 miles, I know I have about 20-30 miles (from a conservative estimate, the actual number is probably closer to 50-60) to get to a gas station.
  • lknfitlknfit Member Posts: 1
    Man I love this car. Using manual calculations (computer seems to always be 2-3mpg high) I have had an overall average of 38.5 mpg with a 50/50 mix of city and highway. Best tank 41, worst 34. worst tank was fully loaded beach trip with family, dog, and a weeks worth of junk. Just clicked to 60% oil life. cant wait to do the first change.
  • tlylejeeptlylejeep Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2008 Honda Fit Sport with the 5 speed manual.

32.52 - from dealer fill-up
    Avg of 38.11 MPG
    I've had my new Fit exactly a week today and have 950 miles on it. First tank (dealer fill up) was 34.6 mpg (calculated) covering 40% city and 60% highway (200 miles round trip on tollway). 2nd tank was calculated at 40.7 mpg (car's computer said 42.3 mpg) and was all driving around home (live in the country) .... 7 miles to work on rural roads and 15 miles to town on rural roads and highway. I just put 250 miles on it today .. all highway miles with cruise control set at 65 mph and the mpgs look like they're going to be down from the 2nd tank as the car's computer is showing 39.4 mpg and I covered less miles on the first half tank of gas. I'm making the same round trip tomorrow and it will be interesting to compare the mpgs as I plan to not use the cruise tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. Mostly flat land here in Illinois, but some hills which made the AT shift down to 4th.

Anyone else have opinion and/or experience on whether or not using cruise control effects mpg?

I drove in the rain on the way home tonight and had to use the defrost setting to clear the inside of windshield. Would that effect mpg much as it causes compressor to work?
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    I've had my fit for 2 years now, an automatic sport. I drive almost all city except for road trips, and before this year, I was averaging about 27 mpg. Not bad for city driving. Earlier this year I read a hypermiling article, and while I wont do anything extreme, I have applied a few things from that article, mostly paying attn to rpms more than mph, keeping rpms at 2000 or lower when accelerating until I get to about 55, and then on hwy I'll keep it at about 2500 rpms. and then I coast up to stops when I see it red instead of keeping the foot on the pedal and braking last second at a light. Just doing that, I'm getting 31-32 mpg.

The last week or two, I've made two road trips from Houston to Austin. First one I got 44.38 mpg, and got 43.43 yesterday. I didnt think 40 mpg was possible in the car! Both trips only used 7-8 gallons, so I'm still shooting to break 40 over a full tank, maybe a trip to Dallas will do it.
  • boord1boord1 Member Posts: 17
    Just for information, how many total miles do you have on your Sport. I also have an auto sport but even with following the same rpm guidelines you use, I can't get past 33MPG. But then, mine only has 3600 total miles on it. Thanks
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    [quote]Just for information, how many total miles do you have on your Sport[/quote]
    I bought it in Aug 2006, and it has 33,000 miles on it.
  • kittyworldkittyworld Member Posts: 20
    ... " I can't get past 33MPG." ...

Did you check your tire pressure? I just bought my new Fit Sport auto for a week or so. After less than 200 miles the low tire pressure light came up. I checked all 4 and all of them had only 25 psi in it. Damn dealers! I was initially wondering why my mileage was so low - about 30 mpg in mostly stop and go local traffic (ok i know it's not too low and it's brand new but I was expecting better). I haven't driven enough after I fill up the air to factory recommended setting (33 psi) but I think my mileage should be normal now.
  • jazzbo2jazzbo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have consistantly achieved 39 to 42 mpg. I do this by occasionally coasting down hills when the oppurtunity exists. I coast to many stop signs and red lights, again when oppurtunity exists. I keep my tire pressure up around 40 to 45 psi and regularly rotate the tires(about every 3000 to 4000 miles) I have 18k miles on the car. I always get 400 miles on the trip odometer prior to refueling, unless of coarse I have to get gas when available. When I fill up after 400 on the trip odometer I generally put in 10.03 gallons
    I change the oil, I put a Fujita cold air intake on and drive with a light foot 60 to 63 on the highway. Faster than that, mileage will go down. I'm happy with it. I recently have had the air bag SRS light on constantly. I will get it looked at when I'm back near the dealer.
  • ak_fitak_fit Member Posts: 8
    MPG in my 09 Sport Fit steadily decreased to an average of 34 mpg. After reading an earlier post, I finally checked the tire pressure: 27 psi on each tire! (no sensor warning). Amazingly, I didn't think about checking this earlier. It's too bad the Honda tire pressure sensors don't measure and display pressure. Imagine how much fuel could be saved if all cars had this.
  • tonyspumonitonyspumoni Member Posts: 8
    Not much action here of late. Anyone have an update on their '09 mileage?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I suspect we're going to hear more reports of less than perfect mileage as ethanol blends spread. I know I'm taking an 8-10% hit in mileage because of ethanol. So are a lot of others.

The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol
    I live in So Cal where, I think, all gas is now 10% EtOH. Lifetime mileage on my '04 Prius is somewhere around 44 mpg.

I am swapping the Prius for an '09 Fit though this next week and now will not be so disappointed if I end up just hitting EPA.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Curious as to why you are swapping the Prius for a Fit.

Thanks,
    Kip
    I'm not sure if you can hit EPA numbers now unless they've been revised down to account for ethanol. Due to a combination of driving style and conditions I had always gotten EPA numbers on my vehicles all the time. My 2007 Versa was rated at 30 city and 36 highway and I was pretty much on those numbers, typically getting 32 - 33 in combined driving. That held up until the introduction of ethanol which dropped me to the 28- 30 range.
    '09 Sport AT. Car now has 920 miles on it. Last tank was 29.3 mpg per the computer. Mostly driving on the hilly San Francisco Peninsula with one trip to UC Davis.

Not bad, but what is a bit disappointing is that my '03 Accord EX 4-dr manual routinely gets 27 mpg driving in the same hilly area. I bought it new 5.5 years ago and the worse mileage I have ever experienced on a tank (I round to the nearest mpg) is 25 mpg. Since new I have had four tanks at 25 mpg and all others have been higher, with 27 the routine average. The highest has been 34 mpg driving back from Vegas last year. As far as power goes the Fit is ok but my Accord feels like a top fueler in comparison. I hope the Fit get more frugal as it breaks in. Byron
    Kip,

Complex decision really. My wife and I both have Prius(es), each of which is wholly owned. Mine has 67k miles on it yet has sold for the same price as a new, '09 Fit Sport. The general idea is to swap the used Prius for a new Fit, which will get 75% of the mileage and be covered by a warranty in these uncertain times (I've dumped about $1,000 in repairs into my Prius though the wife has had no trouble at all with hers).

On the irrational side, the Prius is a lousy car to drive. Sure, the mileage is good but the ride is super lumpy, it wallows through the corners, and the loose electric steering lends the car a very subdued feel that, on the highway, makes keeping a straight line a job that requires quite a lot of attention. If the both cars weren't loose and drifty, each with different sets of tires, both original and Michelins, I'd think that something was wrong but it must be a feature, not a bug.

Anyway, everyone seems to be pretty happy with their Fits - fun to drive, decent mileage, likely to be relatively problem-free - so I figured I could either tough it out as the Prius ages or sell it high and join the fun.
    tonyspumoni,

Seems you did the right thing. Also, probably really wise to do it before battery pack gave problems.

I'm in a trade mode right now and considering the economical gassers as well as hybrids. Leaning more and more toward a Fit or Yaris.

Thanks,
    Kip
    I purchased my 09 Fit Sport AT5 on 10/16/08 and got it just in time to do some serious driving in it ..... almost 2200 miles in the first 2 wks with no single one way trip exceeding 120 miles. Highway miles with cruise set just under 65 mph gave me my most disappointing MPG numbers. The single tank of 40+ was around home (rural roads and mixed city) when the weather was warmer. Best part was reimbursement for my travel at $.585 per mile for more than half of the miles!

Below are the numbers:

Tank...Miles....Odometer....Dash MPG......Calculated MPG......Date
    1......331.........331...............40.1...................34.0...............1- 0/18/08
    2......358.........689...............42.1...................40.7...............1- 0/23/08
    3......258.........946...............39.3...................33.5...............1- 0/24/08
    4......305.......1252...............40.8...................38.1...............10- /26/08
    5......332.......1584...............38.1...................34.0...............10- /28/08
    6......333.......1917...............40.6...................35.0...............10- /29/08
    7......388.......2304...............40.6...................37.0...............11- /02/08
    8......326.......2630...............40.5...................37.0...............11- /10/08

I feel I've got to know the car by now ....... and the verdict is that I love it!

I'm 58 yrs old. My first car was a 1961 Austin Healey 3000 Mark II with triple carbs and electric overdrive (20 mpg). I've had two 280ZX turbo 5 spds (25+ mpg), a 300 ZX (25+mpg), and a Celica (30+ mpg). I've also owned/driven a diesel VW Rabbit and a Geo Metro XFI which both got 50+mpg. This Honda Fit may turn out to be my favorite if it can continue to keep me this happy for the next 198k miles!
    Baddog2

Thanks for weighing in with the numbers and the upcheck. I'm looking forward to owning this fun, efficient, and engaging little car and am delighted to hear that you've enjoyed it so far too. Amazing mileage really and not far off my Prius numbers to be frank.
  • ohthelawdohthelawd Member Posts: 17
    You DO realize you're averaging almost 50k miles per year, right? :)
    I'm retired, but one of my part time jobs requires that I travel to different sites within a range of 65-125 miles from home on an irregular schedule. My new Fit came just in time to join me on back to back to back to back work trips and a special trip that was almost 400 round trip. Add in the two trips taking the wife into Chicago to and from the airport and the fact that we live in the country 12 miles from town ......... she was gone for two weeks and this boy didn't cook every night!

Let's just say that I don't expect to continue racking up the miles at that rate on my new Fit for the rest of th year, but I do expect to have 30k+ on it during the first year. One of my hobbies is breeding/training/showing Labrador retrievers. Dog show season is about to start for me and weekend trips with labs aboard will run 400-600 miles per weekend. I think I've got more usable space in the back of my Fit for dogs and crates than friends who just bought $40k SUV and I know I'll get better mileage.
    New car on September 10th this year. So far, 1770 miles at average MPG 39.5. Mostly city and suburban driving with occasional 80 mi round trips to Salt Lake City. Mileage is a little harder to maintain in fall/winter driving than summer/fall. Pretty much full use of hypermiling strategies, with coasting, turning off engine at stoplights & fast food lines, etc. MPG meter has been from 25% optimistic down to current 10% high. I've heard that the mileage improves at about 5,000 miles due to decreased internal friction due to engine break-in.

Anyone have a superior winter tire/wheel strategy?
    Anyone have a superior winter tire/wheel strategy?

You're going to take a mileage hit with winter blend fuels and less than ideal driving conditions, but I stick to my good driving habits in the winter and take what I can get!
    What I meant was that, here in snow country, leaving your alloys mounted in the winter is an invitation to curb rash (cause you can't see the curb for the snow and slush). My intention is to get used steel wheels from an earlier year civic or geo storm and get 175x70x 14 inch tires. Narrower tires are actually an advantage in the winter, since they apply the weight of the car to a smaller tread patch in the snow.
    Oh definitely. Great idea to protect your wheel investment. And provided you have the storage space it makes it easier to swap back to summer times next spring.
  • usaf66usaf66 Member Posts: 6
    I tested drove each LOVE the sport Fit EXCEPT interior only comes in Blk I have a white dog her hair gets over me in 2 hr. pieces transferred to the blk interior and looks terrible--But great car-no wiggle room in pricing that I can find I'm in NE Oh. Also the Versa doesn't seem stable-stopped and a small SUV passed me around 45 mph and the Versa shook-stopped on freeway shoulder with the FIT semi's didn't even make it wobble.

Any recommendation on comfort and milage for under $17k. buying my first NEW car in 20 yrs.

usafrosie
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    My intention is to get used steel wheels from an earlier year civic or geo storm and get 175x70x 14 inch tires. Narrower tires are actually an advantage in the winter, since they apply the weight of the car to a smaller tread patch in the snow.

My 2009 Fit Sport Auto is coming in 10 days. I also need winter tires. Problem is the 185/55R16 tires.
    The only winter tire made in that size is Blizzaks which are not very good. The Nokian WRG2 which I had on my last car was great and it's a 50,000 mile snow rated all season and they work great. The problem is the size is 195/55R16.
    So no one, not the dealer, not the tire places or even Nokian themselves know if it will fit on the 2009 Fit.
    Bad choice of a tire size considering very few companies make tires in that size.
    If you find out anything please post it. I don't think steel rims are available for even the 2007's
  • rlh2rlh2 Member Posts: 11
    Have ~5800 miles on 2009 Fit Sport with AT. Overall mileage is 34.0 mpg with best of 36.3 mpg and worst 31.3 mpg in mixed driving. These values are calculated after each fill-up. In-dash meter consistently reads about 10% higher than actual.
    You could put slip covers on the seats. Or use a vacumn cleaner or tape roller frequently.

There are advantages to the Fit's interior, if you have needs to haul bulky items.

Another car option would be the Toyota "Yaris" hatch back in 3 door or 5 door.

Equally as good, or better, in gas mileage would be small sedans. They will generally be a bit quieter inside. Most have a good size trunk for hiding things from public eyes.

The Civic and Corolla are both slightly larger and possibly more comfortable than the Fit, and Yaris, and both use 1.8L engines, and run a little stronger. . The Yaris sedans and hatchbacks use a 1.5L engine.

EPA ratings and Drivers reporting on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ show mileage a bit better with the Yaris models. Corolla, Civic and Fit all fall real close in mileage.

There are lots of smallish Sedans available, and the dealers are willing to "deal" on them. Not many Fits yet, and the dealers want full window sticker.

Best way I've found to buy locally is to use Edmunds "New Car" area. You can equip and price a car right there. Then click on the button and get dealers in your area to give you "Internet" prices.

An advantage to shopping this way is that they had best give their best price, because you are not captive in their show room and can simply hang up.
    Also find out about the prices on their Document fees, and Extended warranty,( if you want one) AND "Dealer installed Options", . Those are "Profit" items that we need to know about before visiting the dealer showroom. You want the DRIVE OUT PRICE ! Many or most dealers have "Internet Sales" departments.

Last time we bought a car for our son, there was $800+ difference in internet pricing. He got the $29K Ridgeline for $23k+. Honda was offering "Deals" but so were the dealers. ;)

There won't be that much discount on smaller cars, but they still compete! Right now is a great time to buy!

Kip
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Try 205/50 R16. They will fit the rims on the Fit and using the tire size calculator at 1010 Tires shows they aren't off by much.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
  • thehermitthehermit Member Posts: 2
    I have three large white dogs, smallest one is 65 pounds. I solved the problem with their hair. Go to a carpet store and get a piece of carpet, cut it to fit the back with the seats down. Then go to a fabrick store and get a piece of vinyl long enough to go from the headrest down and double that. Sew the ends together. Get four metal grommets, remove the front headrests and mark the vinyl where the headrest mounts and place the metal grommet in the vinyl. Run the headrest mounts through the grommet and you have a barrier so the dog cannot get to the front and a cover so they don't shed hair on the seats. ;)
  • mgutaimgutai Member Posts: 25
    I bought a winter wheel and tire package from Tirerack.com for my 07 Fit Sport and am VERY happy with it. The stock wheel/tire package had 15" Alloys on 195/55/15 tires. I did a 'minus one' sizing and went to a 14" steel wheel ($39 each) with four 175/65/14 Winterforce snow tires ($57each). It's true that the narrower tires work better in the snow and slush. The Blizzaks or Dunlop winter tires probably provide better traction than the Winterforce tires I purchased, but Cost was my primary motivator, and I've been satisfied with the better traction these provide compared with all-seasons. The black steel wheels look cool too, as I went to a junk yard and found 4 older Civic "H" silver wheel hubs, for the retro look.

As for mileage, running on the all-season OEM tires gets me between 36 and 40 MPG. With winter tires on, it drops maybe 2 MPG.

The 09 Fit Sport, however, comes with a different size wheel/tire package than my 07. It's listed as 185/55/16. You can go to Tirerack.com and check out what packages are available, but it looks like they have no 15" steel wheels, if you go the 'minus one' route.

Also, I think most of the older Civic wheels were 4-lug wheels, whereas the Fit is a 5-lug wheel. You might try looking at used Accord wheels? Or wait a year until more companies make the different size wheel/tire combo that's on the new Fit.

Hope this helps.
  • fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    I know this has been mentioned before, but it should be restated that any report of mileage in this forum should be accompanied by what gas blend you filled your tank with, in order to have a truly useful apples-to-apples comparison of mileage results with fellow Fit owners.

This is critical because ethanol has less energy content gallon for gallon than pure gasoline, so mileage will suffer the more ethanol is blended in. I used to complain that my mileage was worse than average until I realized that all regular gas in Massachusetts where I live is E10 (10% ethanol).

It takes 1.53 gallons of ethanol to equal the energy of 1 gallon of gasoline.

This means that if you can go 300 miles on 10 gallons of pure gas (30 mpg), you can only go about 196 miles on 10 gallons of pure ethanol, or 19.6 mpg (300 ÷ 1.53 = 196). Theoretically, since you can't put pure ethanol in a car that isn't specially designed for all-ethanol.

If you were to put E10 in the same vehicle, you would go 289.6 miles:
    9/10 of 300 miles is 270, plus 1/10 of 196 miles is 19.6, equals 289.6 miles.

So your mileage goes from 30 mpg to just under 29, and the only difference is the fuel blend.

I think most people don't even realize that their gas may have 10% ethanol blended in, since it's not disclosed in any meaningful way at filling statons because all gas engines can run with small amounts of ethanol mixed in. It's usually written in small print on the pump, next to the yellow sticker with the octane rating. At higher percentages (more than 15%) engines and fuel lines need to be modified to accommodate ethanol's corrosive effects.

FYI, with 16K on my '07 Fit Sport, I average between 29-33 mpg in evenly split city/hwy driving, using E10.

Editorial aside: coupled with its huge agricultural and production costs, not to mention all its government subsidies, ethanol's mileage penalty makes the whole ethanol-as-a-solution-to-our-dependence-on-foreign-oil propaganda one big crock. In my opinion.
    You definitely want to be a part of our The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol discussion!
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    Trip from SD to NY at an averaged of 36mpg. Speeds of 80mph over 750miles in SD, 75mph over 350miles in MN, 75mph over 450 miles in IA and 65-70mph the rest of the way. This on pure gasoline. The pumps were labeled "contains up to 10% ethonal" until we got to to PA so we knew what we were getting.
    I have found over the years my fuel mileage drops about 5% when using blended fuel which reinforces what others have said here so I avoid it on long trips.
    BTW-drove through 2 wet snow storms averaging about 40mph over 100 miles.
    We got 41mpg over 3 tanks of fuel running at the lower speeds.
    On A Strange Note--we filled up 3 times & got 11.4,11.7 & 11.7 gals in the tank with the low fuel light on just 1 of those times. Tank holds 10.8 per owners manual.
    The last non-ethanol station disappeared here in September :sick:
  • fit43mpgfit43mpg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Fit Base A/T that consistently gets 43 mpg highway with the A/C off! When my wife drives the car the mileage drops to 41-42 mpg highway. With the A/C on we get 38-40 mpg depending on the wind. The car really seems to struggle in a head wind with the A/C on, but has little trouble once it is turned off. Needless to say, we are very pleased with the fuel economy of this car!
    '09 Sport Auto. Car now has just over 1000 miles on it. Now that my daughter has her license, pretty much only she drives it. This means that all driving is purely local (the hilly SF Peninsula) stop and go and because of this she probably has not exceeded 45 mph since we last filled the tank. From a MPG perspective this is probably worse than driving in Manhattan since it is flatter there. At least I hope so since she last filled the tank and reset the counter about 110 miles ago and the computer now shows 20.4 mpg. I know she does not have her foot in it since she is still getting comfortable with driving in general and remains quite cautious.

Anyone else getting mileage like this in purely city driving? FWIW, we did get 38 mpg on an almost-all-freeway trip to look at colleges when the car had about 500 miles on it.

Thanks,
    Byron
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Bryon,

When Buster and I drive our 07 Sport AT, we average over 40 mph on the highway and around 31 in the city. When our 2 granddaughters drive the car for any length of time, mileage drops to around 22 mph. That tells us something!!

Regards,
    Bubba :shades:
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    So far my first tank has delivered a whopping 27 mpg!
    I'm unimpressed! :mad:
    The worst part is 60% of that was highway miles. :sick:
    I don't really pay attention to the meter in the car I calculate it manually. But I think it said 32.something MPG. So it's obviously off.
    I'm really hoping that it will improve over time.