Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Real World MPG

Comments

• madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    My wife drives about 60% highway and she consistently averages about 29 mpg. We just got the first oil change at 4950 miles and someone told me they got better mileage after the first oil change. We will see. If you up the air pressure on the tires, you may get a bit better mileage.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    someone told me they got better mileage after the first oil change. We will see. If you up the air pressure on the tires, you may get a bit better mileage.

Yes, I'm not going to cry over 27mpg while the car has less than 600 miles on it. :)
    But I'm hoping to break over 30mpg just in town. Figure that my 2008 Civic Si was getting 28-31 combined and I figure the Fit should be able to do as well. We have to drive easy here due to all the cops monitoring the roads we live on. Lots of hills and sharp corners. A lot of fun except for the cops that are checking your speed.
    We had a small bit on snow maybe 2 inches and I saw a Subaru Outback twisted off the road. All seasons don't cut it on these roads. The Fit had no problem being driven normally. But 4-5 inches of unplowed snow on those hills will require snow tires.
  • damian1962damian1962 Member Posts: 28
    If your getting 27 mpg, that's it. Your not going to get better than that. The Fit numbers are estimates on flat roads and even then city is 28, combined is 30 and highway is 34. You must drive at no more than 50 mph to avoid stop & go and shifting gears at 2500 rpm's.

My M3 2.0 liter engine sedan AT (no cruise control) gives me 25 mpg's combined and my M5 2.3 liter engine mini van (cruise control) gives me 24.5 mpg combined. I use to own a fit and I trade it in in for more power, I found that the rpm's are the tale of the story. Both Mazda's I own hit 65 mph at 2500 rpm's which is the perfect speed for highway, I drive normal in city. The problem with the 2008 fit is once you go over 50 mph your mpg's go down because your rpm's are higher. The new 2009 is doing better due to 9 more horse power, at 65mph the rpm is 2500.

But don't be concerned about it so much, gas prices are down and hopefully will stay there.
  • rpm7rpm7 Member Posts: 4
    I recommend the Fit even if you have to cover the seats like I do. After 20 tanks of gas and averaging 40mpg mixed driving, I still love it. Great torgue and comfortable ride, alhough I did add a center console / arm rest. The Fit is also ranked high for reliability.
    fit43mpg, I believe you. Mine 2008 Fit has averaged 40 mpg mixed driving on regular unleaded gas. It doesn't seem to matter what type of driving, although I don't use the AC much. We were surpised to find we even got 40 mpg going from Denver to Grand Junction (over mountain passes) and back.
    Byron2, our 2008 gets 40 mpg average on regular unleaded with very little variation (maybe 2 mpg) and in mixed driving, and has very good torgue. I calculated milage on the first 20 tanks. I normally drive calmly with gas mileage in mind, although I accelerate to merge and whatnot without worrying about it. The mileage remains great.
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    If you read a number of these posts, you'll see that Fit owners are getting anywhere from really poor MPG (low 20s) to nearly unbelievable MPG (high 40s - haven't seen any numbers in the 50s). There are a large number of factors that will affect each driver's fuel economy (and I won't list them here to keep this short). My family has three 08 Sport Automatics, and between the 3 cars we've seen anywhere from 27 to 45 MPG.

More important than fuel economy is the "fun-to-drive factor," and the Fit rates very high on that scale. Go forth, drive your Fits, and enjoy them while you can (because in a few years we'll all be driving new types of vehicles that won't have internal combustion engines).
    If your getting 27 mpg, that's it. Your not going to get better than that. The Fit numbers are estimates on flat roads and even then city is 28, combined is 30 and highway is 34. You must drive at no more than 50 mph to avoid stop & go and shifting gears at 2500 rpm's.

I think it's hard to say. Let's see what a few hundred more miles will do. But we have a LOT of hills in this area and it downshifts 2 gears a lot of time to get up the hills.
    I think I can get it better, but my Civic Si got 28-30mpg combined and easily 28 just in town. But that was a 6spd manual.
    I'm hoping for 30mpg combined out of the Fit. Time will tell tho. It's still on it's second tank of gas.
  • wxlwxl Member Posts: 2
    I agreed. It all depends on your driving style. I have a 2009 Fit Sports MT. The 1st tank of gas I got 37.4 MPG based on fill-up and tripdometer mileage. I have 70 -30 highway to local ratio. Car computer showed 43 MPG which is way off and too high. I am still within the break-in period. I have been pretty light on gas and I do not rev the engine too high to accelerate. I think this is the best mileage I can get out of the car. I am quite impressed with it.
  • ryan28ryan28 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 09 Fit Sport AT. When I drove it back to Oklahoma from Fayetteville I was not impressed with the highway mileage, only 28mpg, which I calculated manually. The Fit seems to struggle when I drive it above 70 miles per hour. We were trying to keep it at 80 mph but it would always downshift, which of course is going to use more gas. It seems to lose mpg efficiency above 70 miles per hour. I need to take a trip to CA this summer but am not impressed with Fit's open road capabilities. Any thoughts?
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"We were trying to keep it at 80 mph but it would always downshift, which of course is going to use more gas. It seems to lose mpg efficiency above 70 miles per hour. I need to take a trip to CA this summer but am not impressed with Fit's open road capabilities. Any thoughts? "

Yeah....Slow down!

The Fit wasn't designed to be an open road speedster. It is more of a commute and "scoot around" vehicle. Although it does quite well at posted speed limits. Do yourself a favor and read several pages of this forum, and you will learn how speed kills mileage.

Those that go fast have to buy the gas! ;)

Kip
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I could get 35 MPG for a whole tank doing 80 the whole time. 07 sport AT. Just under 3000rpm at 80 mph.
  • thurst1963thurst1963 Member Posts: 42
    No way I have 2008 sport auto full highway at 70.Maybe get 30 mpg at the best.And it is broken in 10000 miles
    Might want to refigure that or it was a discrepancy in the way the tank was filled. :)
  • thurst1963thurst1963 Member Posts: 42
    WELL no to bad for me it is figured right I have taken it to the dealer 2 times and they say well it is between 28-35 mpg so there is not any thing wroung ha ha but it is a lot better then the 27mpg I was getting on the highway up till around 7000 miles :confuse:
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    I've been driving the same car and commute since July of 06. Maybe it's an 06 fit? whatever, the first US version.

It's 80 for half the commute, 72 for the other half. Get to ~190 miles on the half tank line. refill around 330 miles, when the light comes on, about 9.4 gallons on fill up. Consistently since purchase. I've never ever gotten below 33 MPG in any scenario (stop and go, lon climb up north, aggresive driving).

I think there's some turth to the good batch/bad batch.
    So far I've had a best of 27 mpg and the car is now at 1,000 miles. No way is it fuel efficient. My 2008 Civic Si with snow tires never dropped below 28 mpg even in the city. My wife loves driving the car and it's ok in the snow with the stock tires but next year we will be getting either an AWD or a 4WD vehicle. We just get too much snow and ice for me to be comfortable with the Fit as our only car for winter use. SUV's might get poor economy but they will get you there in the winter over unplowed roads. We have a lot of hills and a lot of snow and this year a LOT of ice. I didn't want an SUV but might have no choice. The Fit is not as economical to run as the Civic but it is considerably more versatile.
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    I can understand your feeling for the need to have an SUV for winter driving. We have 3 Fits in our family, and I bought either winter tires or winter tires mounted on steel wheels for each car, which we are driving right now in Nebraska (which has seen snow and cold recently). We are getting around OK with the Fits, but I also have an 03 CR-V that I bought new, has gone over 100K miles, and am keeping to drive on bad weather days. The Fits ride so close to the ground that if you get a significant snowfall and then the roads get plowed, you end up with a lot of spots where the accumulated snow/ice can cause the Fits to bottom out. So go forth and enjoy your Fits in the winter, but watch the potholes or the hard frozen piles of snow to avoid damage.
  • wistlowistlo Member Posts: 13
    First tank with highway miles for me was 34.2 MPG. Average indicated on gauge was 37.1.

This from Birmingham AL to Slidell LA, all Interstate except for about 30 miles on rolling hill side road (US 11 in MS). Speed varied between 65 and 80, 50-75% of time at 70 with cruise. No A/C.

This is a *new* car (a Christmas present that Santa will bring from its hiding place across town, tomorrow). Car was delivered with a 32 miles and a "full" tank. I don't know if the dealer actually topped it before handing it over. If the full tank started at 0 miles, then mileage would be 37.6.

I will post again as I accumulate mileage.
  • ohthelawdohthelawd Member Posts: 17
    Hey, another southern Fit fanatic! Welcome aboard... ("thegraduate" and I both live in Birmingham). :)
    Two of us, actually (my wife and I). We live in New Orleans but I had to search far and wide to find the color and transmission (manual) we wanted. It was nice to inaugurate the car with a one-way road trip.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Our '07 Fit Sport (AT) has just recorded 26.7 MPG, which is the worst mileage this car has seen in 52,000 miles of driving. Not too bad, really. For this tank It was 90/10 city/highway, most days with a below zero temperature, snow, and with all the slipping, sliding, and stopping and going associated with this kind of weather. The overall average for the life of the car is currently just a tad below 33 MPG, with a nice and even 50/50 city/highway split.
  • fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    If your getting 27 mpg, that's it.

I wouldn't be so dismissive, for a car with such low mileage. My mileage in city was about 27 also, but I saw gradual improvement all the way to 10,000 miles. It's now about 30. There are so many factors, as you say, that there's no way you can be so sure.
  • JimLuddenJimLudden Member Posts: 4
    The MPG guage in my 09 Fit registers 10-15% higher than the computed mileage (dividing odometer trip miles by the number of gallons delivered by the gas pump for each fillup).

I trust the odometer more than the fuel flow meter. (Is the guage really driven by a fuel flow meter?) The dash MPG guage has to display the computed MPG based on the distance traveled (the odometer - and anti-lock brakes - work off of digital messages from the wheel) and some proxy for the flow of fuel. I assume that there is a fuel flow meter, but a vacuum reading might be used instead.

How can I adjust the calculation of MPG to be closer to reality?
  • dazedaze Member Posts: 1
    I got 355miles (hwy & side streets combined) on my 2nd tank cuz the 1st tank given by dealer was not completely full- bastards. But on a long road trip, I was able to get more than 420 miles (hwy only) for the entire tank. That's crazy! But I drive carefully and normally keep a consistent speed of 70 to 75 mph. I noticed that when I go to 80 mph, I get much less mileage. Also, I don't accelerate fast after the lights turn green or after having stopped at a stop sign.
  • damian1962damian1962 Member Posts: 28
    I traded my 08 sport MT in. It really didn't work for me as well as for many happy fit owners. The fit is fantastic if your constantly on the highway and your city roads are nice but where I'm at that's not the case (speed bumps, patchy roads, pot holes) It's like NYC where the roads in the city are bad. I got a Mazda m3 At and I'm really satisfied with the car, especially with it's suspension on hard roads. I get a combined 25 mpg no matter how I drive.
  • pmeyerspmeyers Member Posts: 7
    I have spent perhaps a dozen hours with Honda regarding the inaccuracy of the MPG gauge. I have submitted detailed data in writing to both the dealer and the regional office in California. Some take aways:
    1) There is no way to adjust the meter
    2) If the meter doesn't generate a fault on the system bus, it's working correctly, regardless of the reading. They will not try to replace the meter under warranty.
    3) You are being too picky if you expect an accurate MPG meter (less than 20% error).
    4) They have no plans to fix this issue in this revision of the Fit.

This is likely the last Honda I will buy. I have owned many Audis in the last 20 years, and my first experience with Honda is a stonewall on this issue. At least Audi will attempt to fix the problem. All of their MPG gauges are adjustable by a technician.

My car: 2009 Sport MT sans navigation.
    Realizing this is a Fit forum, Just wanted to pipe in concerning HONDAS' attitude toward customers sometimes.

I have had a couple of issues with our Pilot that HONDA is uninterested in.
    Main one being the towing wiring harness. We have been considering a super light "Egg" type travel trailer. About 1500# dry. It has electric brakes and requires a 7 pin electrical connection to the tow vehicle.

Our Honda installed $900 tow package provides a 4 pin trailer wiring connector that works fine for a trailer with no brakes or surge brakes. However I can't tow a trailer of any kind with electric brakes, as they require a 7 pin connector. The answer I get from Honda is basically, "That's the way it is". The Ridgelines have a 7 pin connector available, but there is no way, according to Honda, to adapt it to the Pilot.

To add to their poor planing and utter stupidity, the new '09 Pilots have an integrated trailer hitch, built right in. However there is absolutely no wiring to connect to a trailer. The wiring harness is $181 extra and the DEALERSHIP CAN'T TELL ME IF IT IS 7 PIN OR 4 PIN. OF COURSE THERE IS ALSO A CHARGE FOR THEM TO INSTALL IT. How stupid is that!

To solve your problem, you would do well to Purchase a "Scan Gauge ll". I got one a month ago. It provides lots and lots of information. It is adjustable by the owner.

It keeps track of the tank MPG, fuel used out of the tank, fuel left in tank, running time on the tank, running time left on the tank, instant mpg, current trip MPG that can be reset instantly, today's total mpg, yesterdays mpg, error codes, water temp, speed current, average, maximum, rpm current and average and max, and so forth. Background colors and brightness of the display, type of ready information on the display and a lot of stuff I haven't used yet.

My last two tanks showed the tank average to be within 1/10 mpg when I double checked with a calculator miles divided by gallons.

It plugs in under the dash in the same connector the mechanics use for diagnostics.

"Set Up" requires you to tell it the size of your engine, size of fuel tank and type of fuel ie, gas,diesel, hybrid. Fill the car with gas and press the "Fillup" button. Next time you fill up, it will say how much fuel it thinks you used, MPG and so forth.
    If the actual fuel required to fill the tank was different, you enter that. It makes it's internal corrections. Next 2 tanks were dead on for me. I'm working on the 3rd tank now. You can also tell it the price per gallon of the gas and it will tell you the cost of each of the different trips mentioned above until the next fill up. Plus the cost of running that tank.

If you like the car, but are upset with the one item, the $160 instrument is a lot less expensive than trading. Besides being helpful it is fun to play with! :)

This is a $160 instrument that probably cost the dealers $100. It would be a great dealer option that actually works accurately. I read about them 2 years ago. Wish I had bought one then.

We are considering a Fit for our family. But the huge swings in reported mileage is discouraging. As are the options that don't work well, and the lack of options.

There have many reports concerning the inaccuracy of odometer, fuel tank gauge, and MPG gauge, that Honda is not much help with.

Kip
  • rlh2rlh2 Member Posts: 11
    Now have 17,000 miles on 2009 Fit Sport with AT. Overall average mileage is 33.5 with a max of 39 and min of 29. Mixed driving with more highway than city. All values calculated after each tank fill-up. Mileage indicator on maintenance minder consistently reads higher, 12% higher on average. Couple of observations/tips:

- Mileage seems to be little better when driving in Sport mode and using paddle shifters compared to Drive mode (less automatic downshifting).

- Use of cruise control OK on flat roads but hurts mileage on up/down grades.

Also note that average mileage has been constant over first 17,000 miles. No mileage increase post-break-in has been observed.
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    After my first tank fillup on 09 base Fit AT, I got 35.6 calculated. I'd say 60/40 hwy/city.
    We are considering a Fit for our family. But the huge swings in reported mileage is discouraging. As are the options that don't work well, and the lack of options.

We get 28mpg combined. We live in a rural area with a few hills and almost no stop and go city driving except when we go to the supermarket on a weekend.
    Bottom line is the Fit gets EPA and no better. Of course I expect it to go up 3-4mpg when we stop using winter blend gas.
    I find claims of 40mpg in this car to be very suspect unless the car is driven downhill in neutral with a strong tail wind. My wife likes the car and it's easy for her to drive. For me, it's just ok. My 84 year old aunt has trouble getting into the back seat and complains about the door jamb being too high.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I have an '07 Fit Auto-Sport with just over 30,000 miles. On long highway cruises with 2 adults, 2 kids in carseats, plus their stuff, I can get 40mpg if I keep the speeds under 65mph. I use the cruise on the highway, but I keep it in 5th gear using the Sport mode to prevent downshifts on the uphills (it will automatically shift to 4th if it starts to lug, but doesn't downshift as quick as when it's in Drive). For normal mix of highways, suburbs, short trips, etc it normally get in low 30's MPG.

One thing I'll say is that the car is pretty sensitive to the driver. I generally get a few MPG better than my wife just because she's heavier on the gas pedal then I am.

I think if you browse other forums, you'll find similar MPG extremes on for any car. Plus it depends on what you're looking for. MPG was only one factor for buying the Fit. Interior roominess, driving characteristics, build quality and reliability were the main factors. The Fit has 21CuFt of cargo space behind the 2nd row, plus some usefull storage under the 2nd row, and a lot of storage with the 2nd row down. At 157" in length, it's easy to park. The steering is great. Quality has been stellar. We've found that for our family of 4, we can use the Fit over our big car for nearly all of our weekend trips. Even at 35mpg on the highway, it sure beats taking a minivan, SUV, or CUV only getting in the low 20s MPG at best. And resale value strong, so even if you find you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for a good price.
  • gatortom1gatortom1 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2009 base Fit with automatic transmission that I bought in September, 2008. As noted by others, the on-board computer registers 10% to 13% high. I was overjoyed with the 39 mpg and mostly around town driving until I filled up the tank and found I was really getting 35.5. In cold weather, the 35 becomes more like 32 mpg but even those numbers are great for 90% suburban/in-town driving. I now have 1500 miles on the car and am very pleased--except for the initial disappointment when finding the computer was registering high.
    The latest Consumer Reports magazine tests the Fit along with other subcompacts and if you look at the MPG ranges they report, none of the posts here will surprise you. For most of the subcompacts tested, the MPG range went from the high teens to the mid-30s depending on the car and driving conditions.

The one that stands out most in my mind was the Chevy Aero at 18mpg city and 35mpg highway in their tests. And I believe the Fit was in the low 20's city and upper 30s highway.
  • rcksngrrcksngr Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I just purchased a 09 Fit Sport AT last Saturday. Just wanted to drop in and say that my first tank yielded 35 mpg, 65% highway and 35% city. So far my wife and I have really enjoyed the car.
    09 Fit Sport with Manual: 31.5 in 100% city, trips shorter than 3 miles in most cases (took awhile to use that tank).
  • IslandJeffIslandJeff Member Posts: 2
    Just got an 09 Fit Sport, manual transmission. The dealer filled the tank at 6 miles on the odometer. At 270 miles on the odometer (264 miles driven) it took 6.95 gallons to fill - about 38.0 mpg and almost exactly the 37.9 average mpg that was showing in the gauge. That driving was 30% city (80 miles) and 70% highway at 60 to 70 mph. I'm waiting to see how the next tank will go - the gauge is showing about 40 mpg! I am REALLY happy with the mileage so far.
  • gatortom1gatortom1 Member Posts: 25
    With only 1500 miles on my 2009 Fit, I haven't established known "exact" consistency with the gas minder system but mine is regestering 10% to 12% high just like most others are reporting. I can do a mental coversion of 10% less without a lot of stress to find out what I am really using in gas. True, it would be nice to have an exact measure to the 1/10th mpg as mentioned in another post but the value of the system is to assist in achieving good driving habits for getting the best gas mileage. That goal can be accomplished without EXACT continuing readouts as long as they are reasonably consistent. If this is a huge issue for you, the $160 added instrumentation mentioned in the other post would be a better trade--off than giving up such a fantastic little car.
  • cmobicmobi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Fit Sport MT and typically get around 30 to 35 mpg driving around town and on flat highway. I have gotten 40-45 mpg under very specific circumstances. No headwind, no air conditioner, no passengers (these really hurt your mileage). Hilly terrane where you can coast downhill helps alot, especially if steep enough to be to be totally off the throttle - I think the gas shuts off completely to the engine. If not quite that steep, then either shift into neutral temporarily or just keep the clutch pressed to coast while the engine idles to maintain an acceptable speed without using the engine. These intervals of coasting can more than offset the periods of charging up the next hill. When you do accelerate, do so pretty quickly to get in top gear as soon as possible. Try to minimize braking. Try to coast up to red lights as much as possible and turn off engine at long stoplights. If not crowded on flat terrane, try speeding up to say 65 or 70 mph, then coast back to around 55 mph (in gear or in neutral), repeat as long as you can bear it. I think small engines run most efficiently at heavy throttle and at idle. The barely-open partial throttle to maintain a steady 50-70 mph is not efficient. Finally, get a ScanGauge if you have a 2008 Fit. It's difficult to calibrate accurately with each fillup because of the Fit's small gas tank but it really helps by keeping you aware of your mileage.
    On a road trip from the Gulf Coast to Pittsburgh during Mardi Gras (last week of Feb), our 2009 FIt got between 34 and 38 MPG.

We had driver + two passengers (about 450 lb, don't ask about weight distribution, please), luggage, toys, about 50 lb of bottled water.

Tires were at 38 PSI, up from the 32 recommended.

Terrain was rolling hills, almost entirely on cruise control.
    Sporadic A/C use with defroster.

Mileage definitely depends on speed; 60-65 yields near 38 MPG, 70 MPH about 34.

Coasting: On a 2001 CIvic manual with a OBDII meter connected, I noticed that fuel flow seems to drop to near zero when decelerating with the engine engaged. (I have not tried this on the Fit yet). I theorize that if the throttle is at idle (no pedal), the ECU will reduce or shut off fuel flow as long as engine speed is over idle speed.

On both Hondas (Fit & Civic) I have stopped coasting with clutch disengaged, which requires the engine to idle under its own power, and I now keep the car in gear during deceleration. It is difficult to tell whether this makes a significant difference in consumption.

After the trip with the Fit, the left front tire developed a bubble in the sidewall. This wasn't covered by the OEM warranty, but fortunately I took out a road-hazard warranty when I bought the car. The warranty people would not cover a sidewall bubble unless there was damage to the inside of the tire. The tire technician helped me find a very small split near the bubble site.

The Fit Sport's tire size, 185-55-16, is not common (in fact, I think the Fit is the only car using it, so far). I had to drive for a day with the bubble while waiting for it to come in by special order.
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    wonder if the high 38 PSI had anything to do with the tire bubble. Seems way too high, even for 100% highway driving, than the recommended 32psi. Any variance in temperature could've brought it even higher, which is not good for tires.
  • rterryrterry Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the 09 Honda Fit mileage computer accuracy.

The computer provides the current gas mileage (in the moment). Unless you maintain a given mileage reading over the entire range of a tankfull of gas, you will find that the actual mileage (calculated the old fashioned way) is about 3 mpg less than the computer reads when you stop for fill-up. This has been my experience with predominant highway driving in an 09 Fit Sport. In town driving my vary even more depending on how you drive.

Overall, I find the Fit gas mileage quite sensitive to the speeds maintained. At 80-85 mph on the highway I can consistently get 30-31 (real) mpg. Lower speeds 60-65 can produce 37-40 (real) mpg. In town is around 26-28 without trying too hard.
    The tires' maximum pressure is 44 PSI cold, so 38 is well under that rating. Older Hondas ran with 30 and 32 PSI recommendations for tires whose maximum rated pressure was 36 PSI, so the margin of error with these babies is larger.

Low profile tires (for the Fit Sport, 55 series, meaning the tire is 55% as tall as it is wide) I suspect are more susceptible to damage from striking discontinuities in the road surface. The older Civic has same width (185) but are 65 series, and those tires soak up bumps with more compliance. The lower profile does give the Fit lightning-fast, go-kart like steering response. It is a true pleasure to drive.

We have studiously avoided the legions of potholes in post-Katrina New Orleans. I suspect the damage was done by a large unexpected gouge on I-65 N just south of Cincinnati. (Middle lane, left side).
  • pmeyerspmeyers Member Posts: 7
    The computer also purports to report an AVERAGE MPG. Of course the instantaneous MPG varies all over the map. My quarrel is with the purported AVG MPG reading which, in my vehicle is around 20% higher than measured MPG. As I have reported earlier, there is no adjustment and Honda really doesn't care about the inaccuracy of this measurement.

BTW, my measured MPG for the first 4,000 miles or so has been roughly 36 mpg with 70% city/suburban, 30% freeway mileage. :)
  • ak_fitak_fit Member Posts: 8
    About 5800 miles on 09 Fit Sport Auto in Alaska. MPG 33 using math. Computer is about 20% higher. Since Nov I've run Michelin Xi i2 snow tires (awesome) on Civic steel rims purchased form the Honda dealer for something like $55 each. Size 185 / 60 15". The Alaska cold and road conditions may influence mpg
    Some of your MPG "tips" don't sound too right to me. Everything I've read and experienced indicates that the best MPG will come from a constant speed on flat terrain, not by hard accelarations followed by periods of coasting.

And if the effort of going uphill was offsetted by coasting downhill, then you might want to ask a biker if it's easier to pedal 10 miles on flat ground or up and down hills...they'll tell you that it takes much less energy to go a given distance on flat ground than up and down hills. And likewise for a car it takes more energy to go up and down hills. It's the "objects in motion tend to stay in motion" theory, so once you have a vehicle at a certain speed, it doesn't take much energy to maintain that speed.

What you may want to try to test this is drive a couple of hundred miles on a flat highway. Once at a constant 55mph and the other doing your accelaration/coasting method and then manually calculate your MPG and report back.
  • huisjhuisj Member Posts: 1
    The point is though that when coasting down a hill with the car in gear, the fuel injectors shut off. The engine is kept turning by the car moving, but no gasoline is being used during that time.

I've seen it firsthand with other cars too--the best tank I ever had with my old Focus hatchback was 39 mpg driving for a whole day in the mountains in Colorado. Coasting downhill with it in 3rd or 4th, I could go for miles at a time without touching the gas pedal at all, and it definitely seemed to outweigh the extra gas used during short bursts of climbing.
    Common sense and logic dictate that if we encounter equal length and degree of inclines and declines on a trip, the mileage would be the same as running on a flat road.

Our "Scan Gauge" is in our Pilot. While using cruise control, on flat ground at 60 mpg, we get 28-30 mpg depending on the very slight variations in road, wind and so forth. . On a long steep uphill grade, the mileage may drop to 12 mpg and the transmission has found it's way back to 3rd gear. Going down the other side, maintaining the same speed, the mileage may show 9999 mpg, as the default. Indicating we are getting more than 100 mpg. Transmission may have stayed in 5th, or grade logic may have geared down to 4th.

In the case of these steep grades, common sense says that the gravity we fight going up, helps us when going down. If it was only 100 mpg going down, and 12 mpg up, the pencil average for the 2 would be 56 mpg. Which is much better than flat ground driving.

On rolling hills, the mpg may show 22 up and 54 going down. Pencil Average 38 mpg. Still better than flat ground. But not as good as the steep terrain.

These 2 examples indicate the best mileage occurs with the steepest grades.

All that looks good on the "Instant MPG" gauge and on paper. But switching back to the "Trip MPG" is a reality check. It doesn't reflect that great mileage.

I do not understand why ! :sick:

Fact is, that in real world, the best mileage is achieved with a steady foot, or cruise, on flat ground at lower speeds. (55-60 mph). Worse mileage with the steepest terrain. At the end of the trip/day, the SG and calculator agree with this.

It has to do with math and things way over my head. ;)

Kip
    Some math errors in your post:
    "If it was only 100 mpg going down, and 12 mpg up, the pencil average for the 2 would be 56 mpg." You're calculating your MPG wrong.

If you drove 100 miles uphill at 12mpg that equals 8.3 gallons of gas used.
    If you drove 100 miles downhill at 100mpg that equals 1 gal used.
    So for the 200 miles driven you used 9.3 gal of gas and 200/9.3 = 21.5mpg average, not 56mpg average.

Or best case and you use zero gallons on the 100 miles of downhill, then for the 200 miles you used 8.3 gallons, or 24.1mpg average over the 200 miles

It's a common MPG calculation flaw. That if you drive 1/2 the miles at 20mpg and 1/2 the miles at 40mpg then your average MPG is 30...wrong because it's miles per gallon, not gallons per mile.

Now if you use on gallon of gas at 20mpg and then drive the next gallon of gas at 40mpg, then your average MPG will be 30mpg because for the 1 gal at 20mpg you'll have driven 20 miles and then the next gallon you'll have driven 40 miles, which equals 60 miles using 2 gal which equals 30mpg.

Just remember that MPG stands for Miles Per Gallons and not Gallons Per Mile.

Bottom line is that if you're only getting 12mpg on the uphills even if you shut the car off on the downhills you're still only achieving 24mpg average, which is much worse then a steady 55mph on flat terrain.
    It's not math as much as the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

First law dictates that one many not create or destroy energy, only transfer it. Hill-climbing raises the car's potential energy that is converted back into kinetic energy upon descent.

Second law says these processes must incur some energy loss to the outside world. For a car, wind resistance, friction, noise, heat from brakes, cooling system, exhaust are among these irreversible losses. (Hybrids achieve better mileage by capturing and storing energy that would have been dissipated by braking or rolling losses).

A roller coaster illustrates the first law: speeds up going downhill as potential turns into kinetic energy (momentum), then slows again on climbing as kinetic energy is stored as potential.

In cars, the efficiency of conversion of fuel to energy varies with load. Generally, lower power and steady-state (i.e., no change in power) yields higher efficiency. An engine running faster faces higher losses from larger volumes of exhaust, shorter power stroke duration, gearing loss in lower gears, greater heat transfer from combustion products to coolant and exhaust, etc. This translates into lower efficiency.

It is possible but unlikely that an engine performs better at higher load than what is required for steady-state cruising. For that case, the power-then-coast method would improve mileage.

But in general, given that no net energy is gained or lost from the inclines, wind and rolling resistance do not vary significantly from flat, the lower efficiency of the typical power plant on inclines will translate into lower mileage on hills.