Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• sunnyladysunnylady Member Posts: 11
    I have a 99 Grand Am Se.Bought it used,but it was only one year old and 30,000 miles.Luckly I had a warntty,as the automatic transmisson needed to be replaced,as it would stuttered in first gear.Before that the cruised control switch needed to be replaced.The dealer I bought it at told me,that would all be replaced at no charge to me,as it feel under the lemon law,as I had it only nine days after purchassing it.The most struggle was with the warntty company.First they told me that my rental was covered then,they changed their minds.Because I had gotten the name of the employee who told me it was covered,they told me that I wouldn't have to pay for any of the charges for the rental.However after the warntty expired,which was a two year.I had to replace the head gasket,alternator,water pump twice,thermostat,radio,and now it's the intake manafold gasket's.I call my Grand Am,the Caddillacs of Ponitac.Because it has all the bells & whistles,as well as, drives like one,plus the price and the headaches of the repairs. :lemon:
  • sunnyladysunnylady Member Posts: 11
    I didn't know they still make car's with timing chains? I thought they stopped that at the end of the 70's.I am aware that cars now a days self time themselves.Therefore,when you have a tune-up it will set its timing by its self. :confuse:
  • skranz95skranz95 Member Posts: 1
    I have a car that will stall intermitently. Upon stalling the battery and oil pressure light will come on and the brakes and steering become difficult. Once I place it in park I'm able to start the car back up again and drive a little further before it happens again. The last time I drove 75 miles before it stalled out again. I live in Mich so it's rather snowy and cold right now. Any suggestions? Maybe a plugged gas filter and some water in the tank?
  • loydjloydj Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 2001 Grandam GT and I have gathered from many of the posts made here that my coolant leaking problem is probably an intake manifold gasket. But, while searching for the leaking source, I noticed what appears to be an overflow hose coming from the coolant expansion tank just below the cap and goes nowhere. How does the system maintain pressure with that kind of setup?
  • gear_head2000gear_head2000 Member Posts: 10
    Must be different system than my '95. My '95 has two small hoses from the area of the expansion tank you describe... one goes to the top of the radiator, the other goes across the engine to the thermostat housing.
  • larrykellerlarrykeller Member Posts: 5
    Ok, read alot about the intake gasket roting out due to the coolant 'Dex-Cool'
    What coolant should be used in the 2001 Grand Am GT, so i dont have the same gasket problem many others have had????
  • tarheelzrbtrtarheelzrbtr Member Posts: 4
    its the blowing motor. i had the same exact problem, they changed the resistor and it did nothing. so, they then changed the blowing motor and it was fine from then on out. the resistor is a cheap fix, but the blowing motor cost is 200 somethin dollars for everything.
    lots of cars still have timing chains. timing chains prove to be better than the belts. the belts go bad unknowingly, but chains will let you know before they officially go bad and mess up your engine, they start making noises before they go bad. they arent even that expensive. dont let the word chain fool you into thinking its more primitive, b/c they seems to work well and last longer than belts.
    well my head gasket it slowly leaking oil, not coolant yet. im just wondering, how long will it take for the coolant to start messing up and leaking through the head gasket also??????

93 pontiac grand am se
    my abs light always comes on randomly, but never turns off until i turn the car off. the place i took it to said it could have been a bad censor, but i think they just said that because they werent sure. does anyone have similar problems?

1993 pontiac grand am se
  • nevadavaughnsnevadavaughns Member Posts: 1
    The digital clock numbers work but I can't read them. I tried to find a fuse or something but can't. If the lighting is just right, I can faintly see the numbers. How can I make the numbers light up?
  • sams4boyssams4boys Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A USED 95 GRAND AM ITS BEEN OVERHEATING FOR AWHILE I HAVE HAD ALOT OF WORK DONE TO IT I HAD THE WATERPUMP CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT CHANGED TWICE THE SECOUND TIME THEY CHANGED IT THERE WAS NOTHING LEFT BUT THE MEDAL RING THE RADIATOR CHANGED THE HEATER CORE CHANGED THE ALTERNATOR CHANGED HEATER HOSES WHERE CHANGED BRAND NEW EXHAUST FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD TO THE CAT BACK MY OIL IS FINE THE COOLANT IS BROWN OR MILKY BUT I WAS LOOSEING ANTIFREEZE BEFORE AND NEVER NEW WHERE IT WAS COMEING FROM BUT NOW ITS LEAKING AND IM LEAKING OIL .IT DOSENT COME OUT IN BLACK SMOKE OR BLUE SO THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS A BLOWN INTAKE ANYONE THINK THEY COULD HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
  • hgosinskihgosinski Member Posts: 22
    The same thing happend to me. I have an 02. I had the water pump changed, the thermostat changed, and even the radioto...it was still overheating. It ended up being the intake manifol was cracked. This a a very common problem with the V6 grand ams.
  • dantedamondantedamon Member Posts: 1
    Its true. Put your key in and turn until it is in the on position and wait 10 minutes until the security light stops flashing and then take the key out and then put it back in and start your car.
  • sams4boyssams4boys Member Posts: 2
    last time i was here i had said eveything i changed and the last thing was the intake well i changed the intake the gasket wasnt cracked or broke but when we went to change the gasket it should have been real hard tochange it but it wasnt it came off the manifold with no problem it had no seal to it whoever owned it before me didnt do it right so im not overheating now but i have to buy the inlet that goes to the thermostat houseing cause the mechanics broke it and im still leaking oil im fixeing that problem tomorrow so i will let u all know more and ps to everyone a grand am is a fourtune to own
  • boaboaboaboa Member Posts: 1
    I broke the accelerate cable while removing coolant sensor. I have a replacement part from local GM dealership around 24 bucks. Does anyone know how to replace it? Appreciate any help.
  • dmartin10dmartin10 Member Posts: 2
    To debjk57--

I have a 2003 GT and last March the same thing happened to me. I ended up spending over $1400.00 to get this fixed. GM is being sued for this problem and there is a class action suit that is supposed to be settled in April or May of 2008. GM was aware of this problem, it stems from the gaskets, which are nylon, giving way to the Dexcool brand coolant. I understand that the coolant slowly breaks the gaskets down causing coolant to leak into the engine. Symptoms are the "low coolant" light coming on and the "service engine soon" light coming on. Whatever you do, if you feel that this is your problem, don't travel too far!! My car went in an instant, all the coolant leaked out onto the street and the temp gauge shot up like a missle and I couldn't drive my car.

GM unfortunately did not step up to the plate because they said that I had no complaints about my car prior to this, so there was no history. So, the law suit is good for them. I'm not sure if it's too late to join, but good luck.

The plus side of this story is, I haven't had any problems with my car since. I hope it stays that way for a while :)
  • hgosinskihgosinski Member Posts: 22
    Oh I hope I can get in on that. I have a 2002, with low miles, and last year I had my intake maifold replaced...becaus eof that stupid dexcool...It would be nice to ge something out of it. Thanks for the info!
  • philwilkenphilwilken Member Posts: 2
  • philwilkenphilwilken Member Posts: 2
    i can not remember how to reset the change oil light
  • mckissickmckissick Member Posts: 1
    do you have to remove the motor to replace oil pan
  • timkellygpitimkellygpi Member Posts: 10
    Turn the key to the on position then back till you hear the electronic click, then hit your unlock button on the drivers door 3 times and it should reset your security and start.
  • stallion1431stallion1431 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 04 grandam gt and i have read many fourms on here and on diff, car sites and from what i gatherd on it dexcool is bad for 04 grandams i dont know if its bad fer all grand ams or what, but ny owners manual says to use dexcool in it. but like i said be4 i read from differnt people that dexcool is bad for it is this true?? i dont know what to use now if someone know excatly what to use will they please respond..(p.s) can i use prestoneinstead of dexcool. thank you
  • tpjjmjtpjjmj Member Posts: 1
    2004 Grand Am, Oil Light

How to reset the change oil light?
    It's been on since I have driven 4500 miles.

Help

tpjjmj
  • tdm3tdm3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a very strange problem w/my 99 Grand Am (85,000). My oil pressure light comes on only when I make a fast and/or sharp turn. It may seldomly come on if I take off too fast. Other than that I try to make slow, wide turns until I get it checked out. Anyone else w/the same problem, so you can give me a possible heads up on what the problem could possible be?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Is the oil level low?
  • porter418porter418 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 1997 grand am v6 3.1leater engine and on my driver side floor there is a huge puddle of water every time i remove the water the next time it rains the waters back and its starting to move into the back seat i cant find the leak anyware if anyone can help me with this that would be great thank you.
  • anjalbirlanjalbirl Member Posts: 1
    In tacoma..my engine lights stays on.
    2 it every place in tacoma.
    i pay to have things fixed.
    an the lites back on.
    who can i trust. 2 fix my car without lying 2 me.
    zmcgaughy@yahoo.com
    stace
  • iceman5533iceman5533 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have a 2000 Grand Am SE and whenever i turn right or left it makes a clunking noise. I checked the swaybar and the tierod and they where fine i replaced the strut bearing as it was making some noise on the drivers side thinking maybe that was the problem. But it still makes these sounds. Does anybody know what these clunking noises might be?
  • 67bluecamaro67bluecamaro Member Posts: 8
    About 6 months ago I changed the thermostat and coolant in my '02 GA SE1 V6. About 3 months ago I start hearing this clicking sound when the car is first started up after sitting a long time, but it seemed to go away after the car was fully warmed up. I changed the started because it was getting weak and looked for the cause of the clicking noise. I noticed coolant is low and fill it up apparently I hadn't topped it off enough earlier. The clicking noise stopped after i changed the starter and filled coolant. Eventually clicking noise came back, I checked the coolant again and again it was low. I fill it back up and begin checking for coolant under the car and no signs of leaks. Again clicking went away after topping off coolant. Clicking came back after a few weeks, again coolant was low top it off along with putting in some stop leak even though there was no signs of a leak. Since then clicking has been constant every time i first start the car up.

The constant clicking noise at start up seems to becoming from the top of the engine either around the thermostat housing or the fuel rail/intake manifold. And the noise stops or at least really quiets down after the car has warmed up fully. Has anyone else experienced this and what did it turn out to be? I have tired a high quality injector cleaner in case the rails or injectors are dirty and caused the clicking noise.

BTW I haven't had dexicool in the car since about 45k miles after learning about the problems and the car now has 103k so i don't think it is a result of bad seals or gunk from dexicool.
  • gear_head2000gear_head2000 Member Posts: 10
    Engine clicking when cold: I have a similar noise in my '95 3.1V6 Grand Am. It is what I would call valve or lifter tap. It is as though one of the hydraulic lifters takes a long, long time to get fully pumped up. Seems to be worse in cold weather (makes sense - oil would be thicker). I wish I had a solution for you. I've tried some oil additives, but nothing seems to help. The good news is that my Grand Am has been doing this for at least 2 years and it hasn't gotten any worse. If you find a solution, please post it here!

Clicking when turning: Sounds like a CV joint.
  • gizcatgizcat Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Grand Am and the driver side door is not level with the top of the car. It is off a fraction. Anyway to easilky adjust it so it is level? A couple of years ago I locked my keys in and had to have it opened for me. They put a device between the door and frame and used air to pusr it out enought to unlock it. Ever since, it has been off a fraction.
  • rugratdrpepperrugratdrpepper Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Grand Am is continuously blowing fuses. This is the 3rd one that has been put in in one week...the same 20 fuse that was originally in the car. Can anyone tell me a reason maybe why it keeps blowing. No coins are able to get into the lighter to blow it. The car has no added features to the radio or anything. Can someone help?
  • n5445n5445 Member Posts: 28
    I passed my emissions even though I have a p0442 small leak DTC!

What I realized here in Illinois is that you dont need a perfect grade to pass.
    the 00 grand am only has 5 tests that match the epa tests.
    As long as you pass 4 of the 5 you will get a passing grade.

So I kept the gas tank near empty, reset the p0442 code and drove the car until the other 4 tests would run and get a "ready" status.
    Oviously you need a code reader to determine when the rest of the test have completed.

Since the Evap test wont run until there is a certain amount of gas in the tank, it wouldnt run and therefore stayed in "not ready" for the 5th test.

Took it to the emissions test and wholla- passing grade. Finally can get that plate sticker thats 2 months over due!!

I still will need to find the p0442 cause, but atleast now, I have the time to do it without worrying about getting pulled over for an invalid plate sticker.

I refuse to take it in to a shop and fork out $$ when the car has 135k miles on it. That money is better spent replacing things on the car that need it yourself.
    evap purge valve,egr,canister vent solenoid,gas cap,etc.
    For the amount it cost to repair one thing at the shop, you can do all of them for the same price at home. It just takes awhile longer to do.
    It sounds like the same noise that is heard in my motor...if so it is the tension idler. It only cost about $40.00. The mechanic I work with told me. I'm actually going to get it today and let him put it on for me. Hope this helps.
  • lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    On the subject of Timing Chains....
    I can't seem to find out from the dealer whether my 2.2 liter Grand Am uses a timing belt or a timing chain. I have never had a Timing Chain go bad on me, but every engine I ever owned with a timing belt has destroyed itself before it reached 120000 miles. My Grand Am is approaching 100000 miles, and if I have a timing belt, I want to replace it before it breaks and destroys my engine. Anyone? Do I have a belt, or a chain?
    Dickey_B
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Chain.
    Thanks, burdawg. That makes me feel much better.
    Dick
    Simply take off battery cables and then place them back on.

Or turn switch on, (not ignition), pump brakes 3 times cut off switch, and then crank the car up. This should work...if it doesn't do the first.
  • jandavgjandavg Member Posts: 3
  • jandavgjandavg Member Posts: 3
    will parts from a 94 fit my 95, I had an encounter with a large deer and need to replace parts.. thanks jan
  • sodalissodalis Member Posts: 1
    on the way to work this morning my headlights, tail lights, and dash lights went out. Is this due to a bad micro relay in the fuse box under the hood? Maybe #19 or #20 which are listed as being for automatic light control? 2001 Grand Am SE
  • RonG5351RonG5351 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the fuse for the cirgarette Lighter? I chcecked all the fuses on the side of the dase board, they all were good.
  • jerzeejojerzeejo Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, need your help.

My 1996 Grand Am (137,000 miles)- check engine soon light came on. Car seems to excelerate on its own and when that happens, strong gasoline smell in the car, especially when the heat is on.

Any ideas?

Just replaced 02 sensor.

Thanks much for your replies.
  • gogir67us2001gogir67us2001 Member Posts: 3
    have u checked ur throttle/gas cable? thats what was wrong with mine. check it and c if it's bent or broke.
  • hartt1hartt1 Member Posts: 3
    the fuse for the cig lighter is in the fuse box under the hood i think its a 15 or 20 i had the same problem took me forever to find it
  • gizcatgizcat Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where the Throttle position sensor is located on a 2001 Grand Am and can it be replaced easily?
  • snydemasnydema Member Posts: 1
    I have checked fuses and lights but all looks good? Any ideas?
    snydema,
    Use an Ohmmeter to check your fuses. Sometimes they look good, but are open. Do the same with the lights, but of course, it's unlikely that they would all have burned out at the same time.
    Next, check the flasher module. I don't know where that's located on your car... you will have to get a shop manual to find that out. If you don't have a shop manual, you can subscribe to an online service that has shop manuals for your vehicle at this web address:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/
    Good luck. I hope it's not wiring. The shop manual will give you step by step instructions for finding your problem.
    Dick
  • timkellygpitimkellygpi Member Posts: 10
    My ABS light always comes on. I can turn the trac off before putting in gear and it will not always come on. However, I would rather fix the issue. Do I need to replace the wheel bearings or is there a sensor some where that can be replaced.