Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• qdog99qdog99 Member Posts: 19
    i fixed my problem by changing out my tps sensor my check eng. light finally
    came on it took 2 months for it to come on if you read in your owners
    manual it says that if you have any engine related sensor problems that
    it would cut the traction control light on but it depends it you have
    the same problem when my track light came on it shifted hard the car
    would some times die sitting at a light or if i would take off from a stop
    the car would hesitate
  • shanestershanester Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 GA SE1. This problem has steadily gotten worse. When attempting to start the car, all of the lights, radio, everything electric turns on and works fine. When clicking over to start, nothing happens. We can hear the fuel pump kick on, everything seems fine except that the engine does not turn. Nothing happens.

The security light doesn't even stay on during this so we are at a loss.

Any ideas or suggestions?
  • rossofthewestrossofthewest Member Posts: 2
    I have the Exact same car (02 GA SE) and had that Exact same problem. The battery wont start the engine but everything else works, and it gives that dreadful "click" when you turn the ignition. One temporary solution to this was to check the connections on the battery terminals. i tightened them really good and the problem went away for a while. finally it got even worse and not even my overhead light would turn on when i opened the door, nothing at all. So I ended up getting a new battery hoping that was the problem, and so far (its been a couple weeks) everything seems to be working fine. It starts every time, no hickups.

And You probably already know this but be very careful not to touch both battery terminals at once or anything like that. Just looking out for you.
  • soderquistsoderquist Member Posts: 6
    we had that problem it runs great our car would start sometimes and other times it would'nt, its a short in the wiring harness that goes to the fuel pump sometimes it gets jiggled and works try testing the wires if you get nothing replace the fuel pump. that is what ours needed
  • hearterhearter Member Posts: 1
    My daughter owns a 1999 pontiac grandam with the quad4 dual overhead cam. The car has developed a tendency to stall or the engine die when in idle mode. There is a slight rough engine while idle. Car runs great at 600 and above rpm. I have replaced the plugs, plug boots, coil-covers and fuel filter. Anyone with a suggestion? The ignition module has been checked and tested 3 times. The car restarts immediately.
  • voodoo69oovoodoo69oo Member Posts: 1
    It has died on the highway at 70 mph. It has died in a long curve. It is driving us up a wall! We left this car at an auto electric shop for a WEEK and they could not get it to kill (intermittent) - we were driving it home from the shop and it DIED AGAIN!! We have run diagnostic (no code) we are about to pull our hair out - we also talked to another former owner that experienced the SAME prob. (no solution) Problem is car acts as if it ran out of gas. Please reply!!
    does your tach rev up and down slightly while sitting in park or does it almost die or dies while backing up if so you might want to chech the tps sensor (throttle position sensor)it can go bad but not bad enough to make the check engine light come on. it mine 2 to 3 months before my check eng light came on. that sensor controls how much air the engine gets and when it goes bad the car cant breath then the car dies because it cant get any air its kind like a person with asthma i hope this helps
    did you check the throttle positin sensor
  • dr_zoidbergdr_zoidberg Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 Grand Am SE i bought about a month ago. When I get on the freeway, the engine light comes on, and stays on till I get to my destination. needless to say, I dont drive the freeway often. I just replaced the fuel line and pump. Also I notice the oil, and fuel readers fluctuate. Today the check gauges light comes on during a drive from the grocery store and I see my battery gauge is up....up high enough to be concerned. :(
    Any Ideas?
  • simonslabsimonslab Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 pontiac grand am se and I took it to get the struts fixed and the allignment done yesterday and when driving it home the car suddenly began to sputter like it was running out gas and the fuel pump shut off been trying to find the problem tested the wires to the fuel pump and even rerouted the wire else where and the same problem happened it would run for 10 minutes and then the pump would shut off i just replaced the fuel pump about two months ago in a shot gun mechanic effort to fix something else could the fuel pump be the problem or the ingition switch
  • jpetejpete Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Grand Am with a Quad 4 engine. Its current malfunction is it starts to die out when I give it a little gas, regardless of speed. Once I push the gas pedal through this initial sputter it runs fine. The engine light has started coming on but isn't latching enough for me to take it to Autozone to have the codes read. This problem was happening before but only when it came off of high idle while it was warming up or when I first went to go if I didn't let it warm up. I read some similar threads that were attributed to a throttle position sensor but the symptoms weren't exact. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd really appreciate it. Just as a little background, I have had the car about 6 months- I got it off of a friend for $1,000. It isn't great but I need it to get to work (the wife gets the good car). I am at my wit's end with this car lately. I recently had the ignition module replaced because it would just shut off and leave me stranded. That was $700. I am in between a rock and a hard place. I need a running vehicle but I cannot afford to keep dropping $500-800 every couple of months. It defeats the whole purpose of having a beater. If I can get it to be reliable then it is worth it but if it is a money pit then I don't want to keep throwing money at it. Reading all of these posts isn't reassuring. I don't mean to offend but the Grand Am doesn't seem to be a great vehicle. My last beater, "Hoopty" was a 91 aerostar and it ran for 2 years with no trouble. I'd still have it but it broke down in the middle of a long road trip. I don't think I'll own another GM vehicle again.

John
  • grandam258grandam258 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pontiac Grandam that won't start. It was giving me problems and sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. Seemed like no fuel was getting to the engine. I had to have it towed to a service station (not pontiac). Once there it started. The man said it could be the fuel pump or the injection module but he couldn't tell because it started. I had him replace the fuel pump and for about 1 to 1 1/2 months it was fine. Now it won't start again. Same symptoms except before if you bounced on the trunk it would start but that doesn't work anymore. I had it towed back to the same service station and now he thinks its the computer and said I have to take it to a Pontiac dealer. Any idea on what's wrong with my car? The GM dealer says it might be the PCM, whatever that is? This is getting extremely expensive but I can't just go out and buy another one. Please help, anyone that has any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Cathy
    i would hold out on the computer (PCM) if your car has not had any flood damage i doubt its your pcm chances are its something small check all your fuses,check your ignition coil modulator thats the thing that the spark plug wires run to from the spark plugs,check your battery just to be on the safe side because my car at one time was just dying while i was driving on the freeway or when i come to a stop and somedays if wouldnt start at all and i thought that it was the starter or altenator or bad fuel pump or bad computer and i even took my battery to be tested and they said it was good but it was not i just replaced my battery first and now it drives perfect with no problems
  • timtaritimtari Member Posts: 2
    I claimed an abandoned 93 Grand AM that was parked for a year. The starter, alternator and battery were gone. I have purchased and installed them. I have checked plugs, fuel filter and fuel line to fuel feed-line connector at the rail assembly. It does have fuel. The only way I have been able to keep it running is by spraying starting fluid into the throttle body at the injector plentum. As soon as I stop spraying, the motor quits. I don't think the fuel is not going through the injectors. Can the injectors go bad from sitting? Are they not getting proper voltage? Can they be cleaned? I have access to auto xray code detector. The code that comes up is "Vehicle is not responding". I tested it the same type of vehicle and that car came up "no trouble codes found". We followed all the trouble shooting suggestions. Now at a loss. Would really appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Tim
  • kmajorskmajors Member Posts: 17
    I have had similar problems on my Grand AM. Try changing the PCV valve and chack the tubing to look for cracks and disconnections.
  • chic2chic2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have had the same problem happen several times- the car does not turn over. How did you make out? Has the problem been resolved? No one knows what it is in my case.
  • rbalesrbales Member Posts: 1
    On monday night my car ran fine, On tuesday morning I tried to start it and it would turn over it acted as though it was going to start but would not. We replaced the coil packs and the ignition modulator and now when I accelerate on a hill or after I have come to a complete stop it cuts out. I took it to my local Chevy dealer who said that they would put it on the machine to see if they could tell why its cutting out. The service advisor called me and said that it has a skip and "thinks" it is the ignition modulator and that the "aftermarket" modulator we put on could be bad. He wants me to pay $260+ tax for a new one plus $242.01 for them to take off all the "aftermarket" parts (coil pack and ignition modulator and spark plugs) then charge additional $ to put all NEW Chevy parts back on the car. Do aftermarket parts make that much of a difference or could the problem be the fuel pump or something like that? Please help
    Look back by the fuel tank.
  • soccerboy16soccerboy16 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT. I have had it fo about 2 or 3 months. It has ran fine with no problems since i got it for my birthday. A day or two ago i was coming home and, without warning it died. The trip home was about 10 miles and the car died about 4 or 5 times without warning. After it would die it would start back up with no problem at all. Finally when i got it home i popped the hood open and checked everything and the only thing that i could see was that the power steering container/pump had no fluid what so ever in it. i was wondering if that would make the car act that way or if it something else. Someone please help me with this!!!!
  • shawng22shawng22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 grand am with 103,000 miles and i took it to teh shopt oday because it was shaking and there was no acceleration. They told me they had to do a major tune up and that they ahd to replace three of my coil packs and they gave me and estimate of 326 for parts and 150 for labor does this sound right...it is a 4cyl grand am se
    I would check the electrical connections. Make sure there is nothing shorting out and the ground straps are in good condition. Next go get a code reader and see if there are any error codes that might point to a problem. You can have a local shop do it for about $90; you could but a reader for about the same amount; or you could just go to one of the national chain auto part stores and ask if they have one to use/rent. This is normally a FREE thing.

I doubt the power steering being empty has much to do with your car dying. You still need to find out why there was no fluid in the power steering pump. Since it doesn't evaporate it had to go somewhere. Look for wet spots around the pump, hoses, and steering componets. These won't fix themselves and they only get more expensive the longer you wait. Not to mention you steering going bad at a really bad time.

God Luck
  • soccerboy16soccerboy16 Member Posts: 2
    thank you very much for the help. me and my dad think that the torque converter control is bad. there is also some leakage, if thats a word, around the steering pump. i am going to have to take the car to a garage and get it tuned up also.
  • ericalee522ericalee522 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 gran am gt and this is the 2nd time my car hasn't started. I tried leaving the key on for 10 min and trying to start it but its not working?? Could it be something else.... Very frustrating!! :mad: can someone please help!
  • zenith321zenith321 Member Posts: 1
    When your oil light came on because it was time to change the oil, the only way to make the light go off is to hit the reset button in your fusebox (passenger side,interior). The button is small square orange. Once pressed, it will go through a series of 3 lights, just watch your problem go away!
  • lmurfieldlmurfield Member Posts: 4
    I just had that same problem with my '02. Find yourself a thin pair of long tweezers, and gently insert into the player. Grasp the cd & pull out gently. Even if you have to invest $10-15 for the tweezers & get a new cd, it's cheaper than the $300 the dealer wants to charge. The cd I removed works fine, and I haven't had any trouble with it since.
    Been having trouble with my '02 Grand Am turn signals. They will go out intermittently. Just replaced the multifunction switch (dealer said that was the problem), and still having the same problem. Have read the culprit may be the hazard switch. Any one out there have this same problem?
  • kelbykelby Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 02 GT just a little while ago. I took it to the dealership and all it was was a sensor in the front end for the ABS. Take it in and that should hopefully be all that the problem is. Warning tho: it will cost about $400 if not covered under warranty.
  • kelbykelby Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 02 GT twice in the 6 months that I've had it. They had to replace the master switch and the hazard switch plus there was a sensor that needed replacing. Warning tho: if not covered under warranty it will be pretty expensive unless you get a deal somewhere.
    I think the Reset button is on the driver side fuse box.
    Thanks! The hazard switch is next on my list. Fortunately, I have a mechanically inclined husband, so labor is cheap!
  • beelzebobbeelzebob Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 2000 grand am gt about a month ago. got a good deal because the car has no owners manual and needs tires.the problem is there are 2 different tires sizes on the car. 1 205/55/r16 and 3 225/50/r16.i need to know which is the proper size before i can buy new ones.i would appreciate any help. thanx. :)
  • 2000gase12000gase1 Member Posts: 1
    hey I just purchased a 2000 se and everytime i hit a bump they would come on. Any light that comes on drives me insane, So I got ticked :mad: and starting going through my car. came to find out after removing my front tires that my drivers side abs sensor was jammed in the spindle between the ball joint. All I did was used pry bar to relive the stress between the two and pulled it out, put it back in place and the lights went out. :shades: hopefully this is off use if not try replacing sensors. you might luck out and get on from junk yard meaning if it worked. And if not they are expensive from dealer.
  • gizcatgizcat Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 2001 Gran Am SE 2.4l automatic. It sounds exactly like mine. Did you get any help with the problem? Is there anything that can be done to fix it?
  • charley78charley78 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Grand Am GT, 145,000 miles on it. It's been a rough week. Replaced the water pump, power steering hose and I'm now having problems with starting the car.

The first time happened a couple of weeks ago, tried to turn car on and when turning the ignition there was a pause and then everything stopped, had no electricity and couldn't remove the keys. A dealership I took it to said it couldn't find anything wrong, but that I had blown the 60 maxi fuse. They couldn't blow it again and said it must have been a fluke. I bought some back ups, but last week I blew those. I took it to a different dealership, but got the same response. Replaced the fuse, ran diagnostic, tried to trip it, but everything worked fine and he said there was no problem.

Well this morning I blew three fuses and finally took a taxi to work because I was out of backup fuses. Thoughts? I found recall notices online about an ignition switch as well as a fuse cover. I had something done four years ago after I received a recall, but I can't remember what it was for and I couldn't find it in my records.

Thanks.
    The OEM size is 225/50-16. You can use either size but all four should match.
  • waterbirdwaterbird Member Posts: 1
    How do you reinstall the serpentine belt tensioner arm on a 96 Pontiac Grand AM? Arm has come out of collar and spring won’t allow it to slip back in. Any tricks please respond...thanks
  • nd7305nd7305 Member Posts: 1
    just wondering if u tried new plugs and wires ? our 00 grand am se never went as far as not starting but that was one thing and the other is that the injectors could be clogged !? lil more expensive or you can try running some lucas fuel injector cleaner less expensive , or having a mechanic clean them ! more expensive but not outrageous 100-150 and new injectors very expensive start with wires and plugs though i guess
    good luck
  • mkbk2005mkbk2005 Member Posts: 2
    car will sometimes die when driving. After you get stopped and put in park and start it up it is fine till you put in drive then sometimes it will die again. Never have problems with it starting and idling just when it is in gear. Like a transmission sensor.
  • jchoney19jchoney19 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Grand Am, and I love my car, but I have had the same problem with this car over and over again. When I go to start the car it won't start. I've had the car towed several times and taken to a dealership and also to a regular repair shop. I've had to fuel pump replaced and also the lock cylinder replaced. I have spent so much money on trying to fix this problem and nothing seems to help. I will work for 1 week and then go bad again. I have also tried to leave the key in the ignition for 10 mins, like I have read elsewhere, and it still wont start. Someone PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:
  • mkbk2005mkbk2005 Member Posts: 2
    should be near the rear of fuel tank
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Is the security light in the dash cluster coming on when it won't start?
    sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it dont. I know the trick of leaving it on for 10 mins and then starting it again, and that dont seem to work anymore, it did at first, but not anymore
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    So, when it won't start the light is on, but if the light is off it starts OK? Or does it sometimes not start and the security light is off?
    it seems that it doesnt matter if the light is on or off. i have had my car not start when it was on and again when it wasnt on, so i dont think that is the problem with my car, even though i wish it was!
  • albrosmalbrosm Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem my fuse keeps blowing too have you been able to find the problem yet, this is what i did i disconnect it at the pump to see if it was a electical problem turn the key on never blew the fuse so i replace the pump, and still does it need help please
  • bagoplaya06bagoplaya06 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Kenwood deck for my car and i was wondering if anyone else new what i need for it. I went to best buy and they said my wire harness would be like 150$ cuz it is connected to my gauges seems weird and not right. I have the whole deck and i have direct wires for a system i got but i need the wires in the cd player to fit with the stock wires and have no clue on what i need. I could use all the help i can get. Also how do you reset the oil change light. that thing really gets to you.
  • mia27miamia27mia Member Posts: 1
    hello, i am thinking about purchasing an 2003 pontiac grand am se. it has about 30,000 miles on it. looks to be in good shape, has all the features i want at a good price. is there anything mechanical i should be looking for in regards to this particular vehical?
  • bagoplaya06bagoplaya06 Member Posts: 2
    ya check out the brakes good....also when i bought mine i didnt see it at first but the first time i washed after it dried i seen some paint bubbles that peeled off that i hated. you might want to see if you can get the transmission looked at cuz me and my sister both have grand ams and they have both had problems...other than that right now thats all i can think of. so good luck. my 01 grand am se 4 cyl. had 40,000 miles on it and i got it for 8,000 so there you go.
  • csealecseale Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2003 grand am a year ago. I have had problems with the brakes, replaced the fuel pump, new battery, new rotors, pads, calipers. The low coolant light flashes on and off. It has been hit twice. I think the car is a jinx!! ">
  • farfig1farfig1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have a 93 grand am se 2 dr. And when I bought it, the right window was not working properly. When I took it to the dealership, they told me that the problem was that a large gear inside was broken. Basically what happens is when you roll down the window, it falls off the track inside the door, and to get it to go up, you have to manually center it, and then use the button to get the window to go up. the part itself is $500, and then there is also labour. I was wondering if I would be able to pick this part up at a junk yard, and just replace it my self. However, I don't know if this part is extremely hard to get at or not. I've tried looking at haven't seen anything.

Also on the same door, the power locks no longer work for unlocking. has anybody else have/had this issue.

Thanks in advanced

-Brad