Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Care - Interior & Exterior

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited April 2014 in Honda
Want to know how to keep your fit looking shiny & new? Ask here!

Comments

• sd_driversd_driver Member Posts: 49
    Since there's no Appearance Maintenance thread yet (or no Mechanical Maintenance thread yet, either), what types of exterior maintenance do people recommend?

What type of protectants?
    Zaino?
    Zymol?
    Turtle?
    McGuires?

My Fit is red. I know red fades faster than any other color. So I'm looking for some suggestions to sort through.

Do people have waxing/polishing regimens that they follow?

Thanks for any help.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    NuFinish has worked well for me. Zymol doesn't last long enough, although it has very "user friendly" (non-toxic) ingredients. Not impressed with Meguiars NXT of Turtle Wax 2000.
    Do you have an opinion on the use of "dusters" to keep car looking clean between washes? Do they leave scratches?
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Since there's no Appearance Maintenance thread yet (or no Mechanical Maintenance thread yet, either), what types of exterior maintenance do people recommend?

#1 - Honda spray polish cleaner!!! :shades:

http://hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=08C25-- P011M&Category_Code=CC
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I've been using high-line protectants and wax since 1964, and IMO the best available today is Klasse. It's not easy to find, as it's German, but well worth it.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Novus makes the best clearcoat polish on the market. It comes in three grit levels
    #3: polishing compound
    #2: Car wax levels.
    #1: no grit at all.

#1 is what you use on a new car. Protects as well as any of the waxes, though it is clear - it won't bring back much shine if the car is faded.

It's generally sold at gaming supply stores and boating stores(since it also works for plastic and fiberglass). $0 is spent on advertizing it - it's marketed at professionals only.

Works fantastic. Also keeps plastic lenses from getting yellow.
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    What about this new Synthetic polish.Goes onclear no white stuff.

Any Comments???
    I got some 1 Grand ERV dressing for the exterior rubber and vinyl of my Fit. I have a couple of questions because, well, up until now, caring for the exterior of my car has meant washing it occasionally.

I've noticed that it is impossible to put the dressing on the rubber/vinyl without spillover to the painted surface. (No, I'm not going to tape up my car every time I want to dress the vinyl.) Not only that, it leaves a cloudy residue that has to be buffed off. :mad:

Two questions:
    1) Will the ERV harm the painted surface?

2) If I wash the car before applying the dressing, can I just remove the excess dressing when I waxand buff the car after?

BTW: I'll be using Optimum Car Wax when I wax it.
  • coolchidcoolchid Member Posts: 33
    When wiping down the Fit (less than 400 miles driven - both city & freeway) after an hour's drive about town, I've noticed that there is an accumulation of fine black dust on the rear sill (below the lift-gate). It almost looks like brake dust, but I know that can't be, or exhuast soot?? It does seem more concentrated on the right side. Has anybody else noticed this or have any idea where it might be coming from?
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    For me it appears on the window, the hatch, and the bumper. I first noticed it on a sticker I have on my rear window when the white area was covered in the dust after a few weeks without a wash.

I never really thought about the source, but I figured it would be from the high-traffic freeway driving I do on the quite crowded I-5 in southern California.
  • jethadenjethaden Member Posts: 36
    I get dark soot/dust/dirt on the top of the back bumper (below hatch) where water collects and drys, leaving stuff behind. I rinse it off weekly. I would expect its collecting on back of car due to vacuum (lack of turbulence in back) while driving.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    It's clear, you don't have to worry about getting on the metal "Fit" emblem because it leaves no "white residue". It is easy to use and really looks great on the Black color.
  • frogdaddyfrogdaddy Member Posts: 33
    link title

Astro Shield

I've always used this. No silicones (promotes oxidation). Not a wax. Petroleum based (which I believe comes from the road to begin with no?)
    Polish and glaze not a wax. Probably similar to NuFinish. Non abrasive and works good with the orbital.
    My rear window strip on my rear passenger door is folded under and needs be replaced. 2 weeks to order. I hope this is not an indication of problems to come with this car. Other than that I love it. :confuse:
    My kid decided to climb in the back and push the rubber grommit that hides the hole to the interior hatch release.
    I had to take apart the interior plastic which led to scratching and breaking clips. Argh!!!! Oh well I can replace the clips and now I know how the interior plastic comes off. I can live with some of the plastic scrapes too. But I think the plastic is almost too cheap since it scratches so easily. Just me. :cry:
  • havingafithavingafit Member Posts: 22
    Ya see! Kids are highly over-rated!!!! (JUST JOKING!!!!) :D
  • doefdoef Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

This is actually my first post in this forum.
    I just bought used Fit which is 2WD (GD1) in Japan. But there is significant scratch on glove cover. So I am planning to replcae it. Yes, I could find the part in auction. But the auction offers the glove cover for GD2 and GD3.

GD1: 1.3L L13A engine 2WD
    GD2: 1.3L L13A engine 4WD (Japan only)
    GD3: 1.5L L15A engine 2WD

I am wondering if they are using the same glove cover.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    The glove compartment cover should be the same. I would have assumed the GD1 was a popular choice in Japan so I am not sure why they would only state "GD2 and GD3" in the auction...or why not GD4 as well?
    The color would be my only concern. From Honda's Japanese Fit site, it appears that there are different upholstery colors/designs on different levels of the Fit, and I don't know if that might extend to the plastics too?

Anyway, as long as you can find one that is the same color as your GD1, I think any JDM Fit glove compartment cover would work. Best of luck! :)
    Thanks Hungarian83.

I will bid that part.

Regards.
  • ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    Our ladder carved a nice little scratch in the dash. Best way to fix?
    Dealership or autobody shop? :cry:
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    My Honda Fit Sport just hit 4 mos and 11,200 miles. I've been very careful in picking my parking spots and before yesterday, the car has been dingless - and I live in the NY area. :blush:

Now, this morning I noticed on the hood right next to the left headlight is a noticeable ding. :sick: It looks like it was from a rock so I wonder if the Fit's steep sloped hood is not good at deflecting the uncontrollable debris.

Maybe time for a nose mask? :D College Hills sells the full nose mask though.
  • jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    I expected lots of dings and paint chips (and cracked headlights/foglights) because of rocks and debris from all the trucks and road construction in my area. I considered a nose mask too.

I had a leather bra on a previous Civic which did protect it from the rocks, but caused other problems. It rubbed on the areas where it was attached and damaged the paint. It was also a major pain to take off and put on. When moisture got trapped underneath it caused a different type of paint damage. I finally threw it away.

For my Fit I decided to go with paint protectant film (X-Pel). It was expensive ($800+ for the complete kit installed) but it looks great and does protect the car. I've seen older luxury and sports cars with it, and the paint and glass on their front ends looked like new. It comes with a 5-year warranty. You wash and wax it just like it's not there. After 3 months of this kind of driving I have no dings or chips and the headlights and fogs are perfect. But a stray rock has already shattered my windshield. I had it replaced in July.

Other Fit owners have already lost 1 or more headlights/fogs. Just add up the cost of replacing those and you'll see that this pays for itself. There are many other makes of this film too (ClearBra, etc.) If your car is exposed to a lot of rocks/debris I would highly recommend it. :)
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    So I was in the back of the car, changing, and realized that you can't open the rear hatch from the inside. I saw what I though might be a release button, it's a one inch round plastic button right in the middle of the door, toward the bottom. I pushed it, and it pushed right INTO the door, leaving a one inch hole. It was a cap of some sort. I can't figure out why it was there. It seems that you can reach part of the rear latch; there's a metal flange that I can move either left or right. Not sure if that's a way to prevent the rear hatch from opening, or a way to release the hatch if you're stuck.

But it's not like a trunk: you could just go out the back door. So two questions

what is this access hole here for, and
    how do I get that plastic cap out of my hatch door?
  • mklein2mklein2 Member Posts: 15
    My Base AT Fit is about 5 months old now, and I've run into a problem with the lock on the driver's side door.

It's difficult to get the key into the keyhole. Both keys work great on the passenger side, and they also work great in the ignition. However, they both feel like they are grating against something when I insert them in the driver's side door.

Any thoughts on why this might be, and any suggestions for solutions?

MK
  • scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    something like this should do the trick:

~marc
  • mklein2mklein2 Member Posts: 15
    Ok, thanks!

Also, just called Honda and they think there may be a burr issue with lock tumbler, so I'm taking it in to have them look at it. It's free, so might as well!
  • jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    I bought my car a month ago, and just noticed two tiny cuts/chips in the black plastic frame, above the left and right front door windows, right under the rubber. The lunar blue paint shows through.

Is there some quick way to "patch" the plastic?

• suzieq9980suzieq9980 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my new Fit this week. So far I am very happy with it. However, with all the snow we are getting I am concerned about the effect of the salt on the paint. Since I am fairly clueless on the whole waxing procedures for a car I am looking for someone to help me out.

What is the difference between a wax and a polishing compound? When do I need to use each? Any suggested brands? Thanks! :)
  • johnnyxjohnnyx Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have had my fit sport for about 3 months. I really like the car. Yesterday, I noticed on the lower panel on drivers side door is kind of scratched up and a little cloudy looking. I thought maybe this is my fault from my feet when i get in and out of the car, but I also noticed this on the rear passenger side also. Any Ideas on what might be causing this and remedies? Also, my dad took it to a carwash with brushes and now I noticed there are those really lite scratches in the clearcoat. Any idea on how to get rid of those? I am totally clueless on car repair. THanks!
  • anahita61anahita61 Member Posts: 110
    I hope someone answers this question - I've had my Fit since March and I notice the water has never actually "beaded" when I wash it (we haven't had a lot of rain since then, but I've taken it to a do it yourself spray wash - no brushes, just soap, water, under relatively high pressure, and I towel dry it until it's all dry and totally beautiful! - about four times now).

I'm wondering what I should use to protect the finish. Wax? What kind? How often? I used to use Rain Dance on my old Tercel, the paste kind that you rub on, allow to dry, then buff off. Is this good for the Fit's finish too?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You mean, you haven't waxed your Fit since you bought it? No wonder the water doesn't bead. Wax it--Rain Dance or another quality wax. I like Meguiars Gold Class myself, the liquid. Do it 2-3 times a year or whenever you notice the water not beading. It probably takes all of, oh, 15 minutes to wax the Fit. :)
    My car was detailed at the dealer before I left. It was SO clean I figured they must have waxed it, or that the manufacturer waxed it - I don't know if it has been waxed or not. I haven't done it, though, no.

15 minutes? No way. I spend at least twice that just drying it after I wash it. Waxing it is going to take me several hours, no doubt. I read on the FitFreak forum that it took one person five hours, but he sounds like me, someone who will do every nook and cranny, the inside of the doors, etc.
    Thirty minutes to dry off a Fit?? Several hours to wax it??? I can wax my minivan in under an hour. But I treat it kind of like an aerobic workout, so maybe I go a little faster than some folks do. :) A complete detailing takes me longer of course, but I do that at most once a year.

P.S. Get yourself a squeegee (for wiping glass) and a nice, big, fluffy cotton terrycloth towel, and you can dry off your Fit in about five minutes. Ten tops. Like the Men's Wearhouse guy says: "I guarantee it."
    You know what? My Fit is brand new, my first brand new car in 22 years, and I love it. I am in no hurry to clean it, I take my time, I do the insides of the doors when I dry it, and every single spot that got wet. I suppose you could consider it a detailing, but without the polish/waxing. I actually really enjoy the time it takes me to towel dry the entire car, as it affords me the opportunity to fully examine it for scratches or other hazards from driving on the Interstate every day.

I'm sure when I get around to waxing it it will take me several hours, because I am careful and very detail oriented. No slap dash job for me, not with my brand new Fit! It's a car I intend to keep for the next 20 years or more at least (I kept my previous car for 22 years), so I will take great care with it... at least initially. ;)
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I wonder how that scrubbing and polishing affects the clearcoat finish on the paint?
    I don't know - who said anything about "scrubbing"? I only wash my car and dry it really well.
  • jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    This is probably a stupid question, but what exactly are the benefits of waxing one's car? Why is the water beading so important? I'm in the desert since we only get 10" rain a year. Even washed cars get dusty here in a couple days.
    If the water beads it means there is a protective wax coating, or at least that's how I understand it. If the water is sheeting, just lying on the paint surface, it's an indicator that the wax has worn off, and therefore there is a lack of "protection" against the elements. I don't think it's about dust, but about having a layer of protection against sun and light scratches.
    Yes, some people don't understand that clearcoat is actually paint, and can be affected by the elements. Also, a waxed car just looks better. And it's more fun to drive a car that looks good. Even if it's just for a day or two, before it gets dusty again.

I'll bet you don't have kids yet, do you? ;) I used to be the same way with my first new car, a '76 Corolla. Waxed it at least once a month, whether it needed it or not. Probably never had a spec of dust on it, or not for long. But even though I did (and still do) a very thorough and careful job washing/drying/waxing my cars, it doesn't take me as long as you take. Enjoy it--while you have that kind of time to spend on your car. :)
    Nope, no kids now, or ever. :)

I'm just really paranoid about driving around in a brand new car, and parking a brand new car near other cars, and the elements (you should see me when hail is predicted!) - I'm kind of panicky about something happening to ruin it.

Already a rock bounced up to my windshield while I was doing 70 on the Interstate! Nothing I could do. The windshield is scuffed in several places from this huge rock bouncing all around on it. Luckily it missed the paint, and the windshield is not cracked, but still. It's not pristine anymore. :(

Yes, I'll make time for the detailing, or pay someone to do it for me. The latter is more likely at my age.
    Check your insurance coverage--it may include zero deductible glass replacement, and if there's any marks in the driver's line of sight, the insurance company should take care of it.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I would recommend the Zaino line of products to protect you Fit. Once you have prepaired the surface and got the first coat on, it is very easy and quick to put more coats on. i can do my fit in about 15 minutes, let it dry for an hour and about 30 minutes to wipe off. What is important about a sealent/wax or whatever you call it is how it protects you cars finish from UV rays. I found that Zaino protects your car from about 40% of the harmful rays. That is what is important to me. I live in Foslom outside of Sacramento and the summers are hot, hot hot.

With cars being so technical now adays there is not much work you can do on them aside for changing the oil and filter. making sure the surface of the car is in good shape is one thing I can do. I wash my cars every weekend, and find that the Zaino finish still beeds up for at least 6 months after you apply it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I guess waxing/washing is just a personal decision. I never waxed my 1999 Cougar (silver) and washed it using those drive-in self-washers when it was dirty, and after 9 years it still looked great. But I was never interested in using my hood has a mirror, so to each his own ;)
    Zaino, thanks petro33, I'm going to remember that. I'm just north of Atlanta, and we have super hot summers too - I actually read in the owner's manual, or maybe it was on the Owner Link web site, not to park the Fit in the sun! I don't have covered parking at home, but I do at work (and I utilize it!), so my car is exposed to loads of UV rays, hot or not hot. I'll look for Zaino products. :)
  • fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    I'm just really paranoid about driving around in a brand new car, and parking a brand new car near other cars, and the elements (you should see me when hail is predicted!) - I'm kind of panicky about something happening to ruin it.

That was me today. I am hoping that the weatherman's prediction of "possible hail" was just for today (and not storms later this week) because I won't be able to garage it till next week.

So far I have only polished two panels. One I used something to take off paint from someone elses "ding" to my car and had to polish it because the coat had clear spot where it lost it's shine.

The other was getting bugs off front hood yesterday, being sweet to it while I cleaned each bug away and polished it. Ahhh....

And then this morning I promptly hit a bird. lol I am hoping it is not stuck somewhere under my car or something because I did not see it come out.

I guess I gotta get used to it.

I might polish another panel or two tomorrow, even tho the rain is going to screw it all up by the end of the week.
    Aw, fitluver, poor bird! Poor Fit! Poor you! ;)

I don't know, but when you've driven an old car for years, and not even washed it, and let everything that's broken stay broken, only adding oil when it spits out, and gas to keep it going, and just fixing the brakes every so often, to suddenly have a BRAND NEW car, all shiny and perfect, well, it's quite the shift. At least that's MY experience. I was honestly worried about it before I gave in and bought my Fit - oh my god, how am I going to function with a brand new car?! But I'm making it, so far. The rock scuffs on my windshield are a bit of "broken in" proof I didn't need, but at least I'm less panicky now.
    Aw, fitluver, poor bird! Poor Fit! Poor you!

I don't know, but when you've driven an old car for years, and not even washed it, and let everything that's broken stay broken, only adding oil when it spits out, and gas to keep it going, and just fixing the brakes every so often, to suddenly have a BRAND NEW car, all shiny and perfect, well, it's quite the shift. At least that's MY experience. I was honestly worried about it before I gave in and bought my Fit - oh my god, how am I going to function with a brand new car?! But I'm making it, so far. The rock scuffs on my windshield are a bit of "broken in" proof I didn't need, but at least I'm less panicky now.

Don't feel bad for me. I managed to polish a ding that I got the first week I owned it, just to leave me with a panel to polish a time or two to restore it. lol

I know what you mean about new car shock and the concept of "I might own this car for two more decades."

I almost bought base model and thought better of it when I realized I would be in my fifties when I got rid of the car. I thought midlife crisis mobile, this is it! :)

When I told my child to take better care in back seat etc and told her she might be able to buy the car off me in ten years when she is ready to drive, she said, " yeah right." Little does she know......

I like having the sport because it gives me the perks I will want for another decade or two (hopefully.)

Now that I am not a kid anymore, I feel a strong sense of responsibility to keep her looking at sexy as the day she pulled off the lot. ;)

I will probably baby my baby, at least for the first few years.
    So I was in the back of the car, changing, and realized that you can't open the rear hatch from the inside. I saw what I though might be a release button, it's a one inch round plastic button right in the middle of the door, toward the bottom. I pushed it, and it pushed right INTO the door, leaving a one inch hole. It was a cap of some sort. I can't figure out why it was there. It seems that you can reach part of the rear latch; there's a metal flange that I can move either left or right. Not sure if that's a way to prevent the rear hatch from opening, or a way to release the hatch if you're stuck.

But it's not like a trunk: you could just go out the back door. So two questions

what is this access hole here for, and
    how do I get that plastic cap out of my hatch door?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

There seems to be some sort of possible opening on the bottom of the door, but I wouldn't know how to open it and not sure I want to try.

I will have to ask my dealer about this.

Anyone else get one out
    ?
    Does anyone know how to turn off the cargo light with the trunk open?

I have had occasion to keep it open for extended periods of time but do not wish to have the light running.

I considered trying to make a metal connection of some pliable metal across the plastic trunk lock. If you look close at the lock on the door, there are little metal bars on the white plastic which I think form a connection across the base when trunk is closed.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.