Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Care - Interior & Exterior

Comments

• stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    A guy I worked with for years, before he died said the first thing he does when he buys a new car is take a ball peen hammer and put a dent in it, not a big one and then he stops worrying about getting his first ding.
    The first ding is always the hardest. Hey at least you can use Bounce to keep bugs and road tar off the car.
    BOUNCE

Repels mosquitoes.
    Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.
    Eliminates static electricity from your television screen. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.
    Dissolves soap scum from shower doors.
    Clean with a used sheet of Bounce.
    Freshens the air in your home.
    Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang one in the closet.
    Prevents thread from tangling.
    Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce to eliminate the static cling on the thread before sewing.
    Eliminates static cling from panty hose.
    Rub a damp, used sheet of Bounce over the hose.
    Prevents musty suitcases.
    Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.
    Freshens the air in your car.
    Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.
    Cleans baked-on food from a cooking pan.
    Put a sheet in the pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti static agents apparently weaken the bond between the food and the pan while the fabric softening agents soften the baked-on food.
    Eliminates odors in wastebaskets.
    Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.
    Collects cat hair.
    Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.
    Eliminates static electricity from venetian blinds.
    Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.
    Wipes up sawdust from drilling or sandpapering.
    A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.
    Eliminates odors in dirty laundry.
    Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.
    Deodorizes shoes or sneakers.
    Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight so they'll smell great in the morning.
    Rub the Front of your car with Bounce and mosquitos and bugs will wipe right off.
  • anahita61anahita61 Member Posts: 110
    Does anyone else continually get "shocked" by his or her Fit? Every single time I get out of my car (Silver Sport/black interior - not that color matters), when I go to close the door it shocks me! Doesn't seem to matter what type of shoes I have on (usually Birkenstock sandals with rubber soles, or sneakers), or what I'm wearing. It's to the point that I now try to rub my feet on the pavement before I touch the door - it's really awful, not painful, but unpleasant.

Is this happening to anyone else? :confuse:
  • jkliggettjkliggett Member Posts: 3
    Yes! We also have a silver sport. It isn't very shocking in the warmer weather, but as soon as the temperature drops below 60 degrees - watch out! I have become fairly good at closing the door with my elbow or backing into it. We had another small car years ago that had the same problem. I can't remember whether it was a Honda or a Subaru. Does rubbing your feet work? Do you look as if you are dancing?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Happens to my daughter a lot on our Versa, and it used to happen to me a fair amount during winter when it was drier. Given that it happened tomeona seasonal basis, it almost has to be some combo of humidity conditions and clothing that's creating the static.

And when I get it, it's usually a BIG one. I've gotten them right through the sleeve of a winter coat onthe back of my arm, right on top of the door! :surprise:
  • maxwaxmaxwax Member Posts: 11
    My 1993 Honda Civic shocked me for many years every time I got out of it.

In the two months I've owned my 07 Fit it's only done it twice so I don't consider it a problem.

I'll suggest that it may be a combination of fabrics being rubbed as you slide left and get out.

My inspector hat on, I ask: do you have carpet mats or "rubber" all weather mats like me? I'm guessing you have carpet mats!

PS. never solved the problem with static in the 93 civic, just lived with it..
    Easy to deal with just ground the car. Take a small but not too small wire especially a flexible one and tie it under your car somewhere it should touch the ground but not by a lot maybe an extra 2 inches at most so that it makes a good connection with the ground and that should fix the problem. I've had quite a few crs that did that and this always fixed it. The car builds up a static charge and it releases it on you. The wire grounds it so it should fix it. Otherwise you need an expert to ground the car.
    jkligget, no, I don't think it looks like I'm dancing, but I do rub my feet a bit. Wouldn't matter what part of my body I use, it's going to shock me no matter what.
    Hi maxwax, I have carpet mats. Maybe if we weren't in a serious drought here in the southeast it wouldn't be so bad. I'm guessing it's a distinct lack of humidity, and too much carpeting. My old Tercel had vinyl seats with fabric in the center, but the Fit is solid fabric.

I should Google the long term effects of constant static electrical shocking. ;)
  • audifan5audifan5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I used to experience very painful static discharge with my truck. I searched the net and found a website www.mizter.com
    The antistatic strap they sell worked for me.

You should try
    Thanks for the info - I bookmarked the web site.
  • tr4q3rtr4q3r Member Posts: 5
    it's quite normal. i get shocked more often than my family. Its what you call static electricity. Usually happens on dry cold days. The seat cover material is also is a factor. I've been shocked all my life from the office, to brushing with other people, to computers to cars. Most painful is with the car. I learned to deal with it by touching the metal part of the key and touching the other end of the key to the metal latch of the door before going out of the car. You i still feel the shock but it doesnt feel as strong compared if you touched a metallic object directly.
    Yes, I know it's called static electricity. What I learned from others who replied to my original message is that I need to ground the car if I want it to go away. I've not grounded it, it still shocks me... every single time I get out of the car and touch the door to close it. Every single time. I hate it, but until I ground it, it's what I deal with. Small price to pay.
  • fit07fit07 Member Posts: 5
    this question may have already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it...

Rust Proofing...I'm in Toronto Canada and we get a lot of salt on the road in the winter, so I know rust proofing is a must...but the question is which one...go with the dealer offer or use a third party?...any thoughts?
  • poachedpoached Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday I scrapped the bottom of my brand new fit. It hasn't even had a single oil change yet. I am so upset. Is the front bumper made out of metal (rust) or fiberglass. What should I do to repair the damage? Should I get the dealer to work on it or buy a kit at the auto store and do it myself?
  • marcy46marcy46 Member Posts: 2
    What else fits the sport fit besides the dealer car mats?
    I just couldn't spend that amt. of money on mats when I bought it yesterday...do I need to ?
  • jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    It all depends. You can buy official mats a bit cheaper through internet. But I just bought some $10 plastic mats at Target and put some "no slip" shelf paper underneath. They still need readjustment every now and again but I just can't see paying more for what goes under my dirty feet.
  • tr4q3rtr4q3r Member Posts: 5
    i think its plastic. i scratched my lower right lip in the curb too. not quite obvious but still just breaks my heart. got it when it was still about 300 miles on it.
  • caldodgecaldodge Member Posts: 8
    This IS covered in the owner's manual - it's a manual override for the Sport model, in case the electronic lock fails to unlock on command.

You're supposed pop the button out, using a small screwdriver.

I don't have the manual with me (wife has the car 230 miles away), but IIRC you move the flange to the right to unlock the hatch.
    I have been SO careful since I bought my Fit in March, always parking really far away from any other cars everywhere I go. Stores, work, even at home in my apartment complex, parking with several empty spaces on either side, purposefully. Yesterday at work I parked a little closer than that, and some schmo in a giant SUV parked right next to me. I didn't notice it until this morning, but the SOB opened his door until it hit mine, and now I have a white paint scuff mark about four inches long on my passenger door! I am so angry I can hardly stand it, and disappointed that so soon after purchase I've already experienced more damage than I did with my Toyota Tercel after 22 years of ownership.

I already had a rock fly up and scuff my windshield on the highway, a nail puncture my tire, and now this, paint on my door.

Anyone know how I can get it off? There doesn't appear to be any denting, or solid scraping of the paint, just this white paint scuff on my silver metallic paint. I rubbed with my finger, just to get a feel for how bad it is, and tried a little scrape with my fingernail, to no avail.

Also, I have noticed a road ding on the front hood, and underneath is black - is this normal? Is the black the "undercoat", and will I want to buy some Honda silver touch-up paint for that and any other little dings?

I wish I didn't have to drive on the highway for my commute, because that's where the dinging comes in, primarily (from gravel, etc., flying up from under tractor trailers), but this parking lot side-swiping thing is inevitable, I know. My Tercel had plastic "guards" along each side, so even if doors ever made contact, there would be no mark. The Fit seems so incredibly VULNERABLE.

Help getting this paint off?? Thanks!
    I wish I didn't have to drive on the highway for my commute, because that's where the dinging comes in, primarily (from gravel, etc., flying up from under tractor trailers), but this parking lot side-swiping thing is inevitable, I know. My Tercel had plastic "guards" along each side, so even if doors ever made contact, there would be no mark. The Fit seems so incredibly VULNERABLE.
    Help getting this paint off?? Thanks!

Go to a professional detailer and have them buff it out. Then have them install some body colored side molding. It will protect it next time in a parking lot.
    You are going to get dings and chips and everything and for some reason the more you worry the more you get or notice you get.
    Not much you can do about rocks flying up and hitting the windshield. At least you don't get hurt. :)
    So a few bucks to buff it out and a bunch more to add the side moldings and you are golden, problem solved. ;)
    Thanks, stevecebu.
  • reconman1reconman1 Member Posts: 2
    i agree with you jkandell, i work at a honda dealership and i see alot of people that buy their own mats, you can buy good rubber mats for 1/3 the price of honda mats and will still look good.
  • jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    Has anyone else experienced the black plastic "tape" on the exterior of the door frame splitting, exposing the paint underneath? At first it was just along the top but now it's along the side of one door too. One dealer in town denied this was a warrantee issue, but I'm going to insist: it's not normal for the parts to start disintegrating. I'm at 4200 miles at about eight months.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    mine hasnt, but then again, i've only had my fit for a week!

sorry about your woes!
  • charmedseedcharmedseed Member Posts: 6
    Since I bought my Fit in 2006, I've had a terrible time with my front bumper getting caught on and pulled off by curbs! It's in terrible shape now... is anyone else having this trouble?
  • rapoerapoe Member Posts: 3
    The cheapest solution is to buy 2 yards of floor matting from a hardware supply (Home Depot, etc). And cut and trim it to fit. It comes in black perfectly matching the existing floor. The 2 yards cost less than $10 and worked for both front wells. At that price they can be replaced if they get grundgy.
    Now that I helped solve the floor mat situation, what about seat covers? Again the dealer cost is high and have looked for others cheaper.
    But I see problems: How are the seats covers installed? The plastic apron on the outside edge of the seats seems to make it tough. Then the covers for the back would cover access to adjustment levers and headrest removal. Any solution? Do the dealer covers take this into account?
  • marcy46marcy46 Member Posts: 2
    Be sure to have your doors closed if you back out of a carport. The door could catch on a pole and have to be replaced..I did it. So far the estimate to replace the door is $1030. My grandson forgot to close the door and I forgot to check before pulling out. Honestly the floor mats seem like no problem at all to me now. I will check out the matting and likely will do what you did after I replace the door. Thanks for the response.
    Do you know you cannot use seat covers in the FIT? I was searching for ways to get around the lever at the upper shoulder level for moving the seat forward when I saw this patch which is labeled side air bag.

I called the dealer and asked. He said the owner's manual tells you NOT to interfere with this. He says, though they don't say it, seat covers would. So don't use 'em!

So why are they selling seat covers at the dealer??? Dick
  • nthomasnthomas Member Posts: 40
    It depends on what kind of seat covers you get. I know there are places online that sell seat covers that are specifically made for each type of vehicle - they leave an opening where the side air bag is. I am looking into getting covers from CoverKing, and they do make provisions for side air bags.

It may just be a matter of getting something like that instead of a generic seat cover.
  • sportyfitsportyfit Member Posts: 3
    So, today I accidentally dropped my travel cup full of iced tea into my lap as I was exiting my Fit Sport (it tapped the side of the steering wheel as I was removing it from the cup holder and it dropped, go figure).

Does anyone have recommendations on how to remove stains from the seat fabric? I soaked it up immediately with napkins, but it got on the gray mesh of the seat and now there is a noticably darker splotch.

:cry:
  • mnapuranmnapuran Member Posts: 4
    One of my businesses is a higher end detailing company. I've used just about every product out there over the years. Believe it or not... 95% of the time (unless a customer wants something else specific) we are using Zaino products.

I have also recently starting spraying an amazing fabric protectant (been selling to dealers, etc) that has absolutely amazing results and benefits. It's been in use on high end jets for 15+ years and has always been a "green" product.

Mike's Blog
  • larry_slarry_s Member Posts: 2
    I was driving just before sunrise yesterday morning when I noticed a crack in my windshield. About a foot and a half long, starting near the lower left corner of the windshield in the "seal" and traveling up and to the right at about 45 degrees. Crack's in the outer layer not inner.

My Fit's only about five months old. Haven't had a cracked windshield in years. There is a very tiny ding partway along the crack. I've had other dings like this in other cars without cracks.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I was just unlucky or if there's some know problem with the windshield that others are experiencing.

Great car, otherwise.

Larry
    larry_s, I had to replace my Fit's windshield about six months after I bought it - a tiny rock hit the bottom of the windshield and a crack ran straight up and began to turn and spread further horizontally. The guy who replaced it said that windshields are weaker on the edges. It wasn't a big deal to get a new one - the guy came to my job and put the new one in. It wasn't even very expensive. But yeah, that was a first for me, after owning my last car for 22 years - never had a crack, and I know I had a few rocks bounce up and hit it while driving on the highway. Maybe the Fit's glass is not as good?
  • johndintexasjohndintexas Member Posts: 18
    My wife has a 2007 Fit Sport, and I don't fill it up all that much. We've had it almost a year now, and I just now noticed something a bit odd the last time I filled it up.

When I removed the plastic exterior gas cap, I noticed that there isn't one of those little metal tabs that cover the hole down into the gas tank. Usually, a car will have one of those metal tabs as protection, and when you go to fill it up, the nozzle of the gas pump will push it open.

In other words, once you unscrew the exterior gas cap, there's nothing there but an open hole down into the gas tank.

I'm wondering, did I just never notice that the Fit doesn't have one of these little metal tabs, or did it originally have one and maybe it broke off sometime?

Thanks!
  • thora47thora47 Member Posts: 5
    I just got my 2008 Base Fit last Friday and filled it up a couple of times because we took it on a road trip... now that I think about it, I don't think mine has the tab either.

I'll double-check next time, but... what's the point of the tab anyhow? Is it some back-up for the gas cap?

I've always remembered to replace the gas cap and don't intend to start forgetting now!
    :)
  • johndintexasjohndintexas Member Posts: 18
    Yes, please check next time, and let me know.

I think the tab is to block any foreign objects from going into the gas tank if the cap is not on, like you mentioned, as a back-up. Also, if your cap breaks and you have to drive, say, in the rain, it will stop water or anything else from going into the tank.

If the car doesn't have one, it's not that big a deal -- if you fill up and don't put the gas cap back on, there's actually a light on the dashboard that will display to let you know.

I just thought it was a bit weird, though, that there isn't one, as I've never seen a car without one. But if the car did have one and it broke off or something, I'd want to take the car in while it's under warranty and get it fixed.

Enjoy your new Fit, and thanks! :shades:
  • jbonsaijbonsai Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: Six months and a variety of problems! :lemon:

1. Paint cracks
    2. Clear coat literally falling off...
    3. Continual static shock when exiting vehicle.
    4. MT (gear-shift) clunky, jumping out of gear.
    5. Stalling engine, poor clutch release.
    6. Position of pedals are uncomfortable.
    7. Senseless power window and door lock controls.
    8. Small plastic pieces (interior & exterior) breaking and falling off.
    9. Plastic, tarp, burlap seats; CHEAP!
    10. Letter tray in front of cup holder, when lowering coffee cup in holder, letters catch lid of cup; messy!
    11. Roof is cheap thin tin, press on top of roof (lightly) watch whole roof bend-in!
    12. Painted lower rockers, (yes) drag foot over rocker when door is open; SCRATCH!
    13. Windows fog-up extremely easy!
    14. Vehicle heat reminds me of 7th grade orange school bus, pure hot exhaust; Horrible comfort!
    15. Honda too cheap to provide (two) vanity mirrors?
    16. Top speed around 60mph, after 60 vehicle is out of power and gear; very high whine (rpm) at 65.
    17. Tiny 10.8 gallon fuel cell, always have to fill-up!
    18. Interior smells like a Mattel toy; all plastic!
    19. You get the idea...

:lemon: This car is a pile of junk. :lemon:

Truthfully, if you buy a Fit your an idiot like me!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What I see here are the following problems:

* paint problem - have you reported this to your dealer? If not you should do it soon.
    * shifter - but not sure what "jumping out of gear" means.
    * plastic pieces breaking/falling off - which ones? (offhand I can't think of any small plastic pieces on the exterior of the car)
    * windows fog up easily - try cleaning them; new cars emit plasticizers that cause fogging problems. Will go away over time.

The other things you listed are characteristics of the Fit that are common to many cars (e.g. static shock when exiting, thin metal panels, painted rocker panels, all-plastic interior with that "new car" smell) or design points that should have been easy to spot during your research of the Fit and the test drive you took before you bought the car.
    I'm with backy...

6. Position of pedals are uncomfortable.
    7. Senseless power window and door lock controls.
    15. Honda too cheap to provide (two) vanity mirrors?

These are things that should have been appreciated during the vehicle selection process. While I don't find the pedal position to be a problem, nor the window and door lock controls to be senseless (I'm not even sure what that means), one who does find those things to be true should ideally note them before owning the car for six months.
    I noticed during my test drive that there wasn't a vanity mirror on the passenger side - but... whatever, I'm sure there's a visor out there available for purchase should I find myself in a position to care about my passenger's ability to do one more 'hair-check,' or something.

16. Top speed around 60mph, after 60 vehicle is out of power and gear; very high whine (rpm) at 65.

Oh heeeeeeeeeck no. Mine has plenty of passing power at 70 or 75 without even downshifting. I have the MT, I noticed during a test drive that the AT like to down-shift a LOT - that should be helping you if that's what you're driving... ? I did notice a bit of a dead-spot around 3,300 RPMs at speed, but down-shifting absolutely took care of it. I needed to back of the gas on my road trip as the car kept wanting to go 80 mph.

10. Letter tray in front of cup holder, when lowering coffee cup in holder, letters catch lid of cup; messy!

I didn't realize that was a "letter tray." I actually use mine to store my sunglasses. You could always put your letters somewhere else... ? Now you're just starting to sound jaded.

It's unfortunate that you've discovered that the Fit doesn't fit you. For what it's worth, I've only had the car a week, but I'm still in love.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Truthfully, if you buy a Fit your an idiot like me!

An "idiot" would be someone who bases their buying decision on a single Edmunds post ;)
    18. Interior smells like a Mattel toy; all plastic!

You should smell the interior of the Toyota Matrix! Talk about outgassing, oh my gosh. I seriously did not buy it because of the horrible odor of all the plastic - the Fit, on the other hand, smelled nice from my first test drive. :)

Sorry you're so unhappy with your car. I don't experience any of the issues you mention. No scratching on the "rockers", and I have the manual and have no problem with gears jumping or stalling - sounds like driver error?
    John D, Are you still with me? I just filled up (finally! I love my Fit's mpg), and I forgot to check on the tab. I'm terribly sorry - I actually remembered as I was calculating my mpg, with intentions of double-checking, but managed to forget... for what it's worth, I still think you're right, that the tab was never there to begin with - I am still on the mission, though - really... just give me another ten days. :)
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    There is no tab on the gas tank.
  • amethisteamethiste Member Posts: 28
    I just bought my blackberry pearl fit yesterday. The warranty person tried to sell rustproofing, sealant, fabric protection , and rust undercoat (with free Lo-Jack) for $1400. I declined and she said that the undercarriage of the Fit was bare metal. I still declined. I have a hard time believing that this car has no rust undercoating.

Does Honda do rust undercoating at the factory? Does anyone have experience with road salt in the winter? Did they have trouble with the undercarriage rusting?

Thanks
  • fit4life1fit4life1 Member Posts: 14
    Has anybody done anything yet to their fit in the way of customizing? I bought a black 2007 base model about 1 month ago with 2800 miles. So far I tinted all windows except windshield, put in subs, amp, and sat radio, installed keyless entry (yes, the base didn't have it), upgraded to 15" black rims with performance tires, vent visors for all 4 windows, new shifter knob, racing pedals, injen 5" exhaust system, custom spoiler, and I have an injen cold air intake coming this week which will mount behind the front bumper. I def dropped some change on this car so far, but I don't want to look the the others on the road.
  • feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    It's their job to sell high profit items. The profit margin on the fit is, in general, low so undercoatings BLAH BLAH etc. are things they'll push. Wash the underside of the car at a powerwash (handheld, manual) during and after winter months and everything should be fine.
  • amethisteamethiste Member Posts: 28
    Thanks feddup. My dad is a former body and fender mechanic and he told me the same thing
  • jaggrinjaggrin Member Posts: 5
    I bought my Fit at the beginning of June. When is a good time to start waxing and how often should one wax their vehicle? Thankis.
This discussion has been closed.