Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• sixthflicksixthflick Member Posts: 47
    1999? Yeah, that's almost 10 years ago. So I'm thinking the $144 wasn't too bad.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    I agree.. the price doesn't sound bad..

Plus, 17" will be better for winter than the 18"..

The question is: How will they look? 4 months per year is a long time with dorky looking wheels on a $40K car.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I was thinking the same thing on the looks. I could go with LR caps for the steel wheels or I could just buy some cheaper alloys and save my stock wheels for better weather. The only trouble I'm finding is not knowing what the bolting pattern is on the wheels.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Your dealer's parts department should be able to give you specs on the bolt pattern and the offset.. (hopefully... you never know)

A trip to your local tire/wheel shop might be helpful, also. They should be able to tell you if they have anything that fits, and actually try it to see. All they have to do is take off one wheel to check for fitment.

I would stick with the 17 X 7.5". More choices and cheaper than the 18".

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hey Gang- Just found out from my LR service rep that the 2008 LR2 SE's bolt pattern is 5 x108mm. I looked everywhere for this to try and get the correct size wheels and had a difficult time getting my service guy to provide the info - guessing they want to keep us buying direct from the dealers.

Anyways, I'm going with a set of 4 steel wheels, 4 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3, and 4 tire pressure monitors for about $1576. They're charging $55 per tire for mounting and balancing which is insane though, so I'm not too happy about that.

Perhaps I should just go with the steel wheels and tire pressure monitors and buy the tires and mounting and balancing from a local tire shop - any thoughts?
    Okay so it's down to five choices:

Spikes Spiders which are $475 mounted over my All Season tires or
    Land Rover Steel wheels, snow tires, TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) and mounting & balancing for $1500 or
    Momo winter alloy wheels, snow tires, TPMS and M&B for $1,200 orjust the All Season tires or
    Spider Spikes & the LR steel wheels package for ~$2,000.

My concerns are this: While I'm originally from Upstate NY with snow and ice, my wife is from Phoenix, AZ and we have a 19 month old son that rides with her in the back seat all the time. I'm buying these more for the protection of my wife and son than anything else.

Any thoughts or comments?
  • smichsmich Member Posts: 31
    Hey there,
    When I first bought my 02 Freelander, I remember seeing a set of 4 snow "cables" that fit around the wheels. I think they were offered in a LR accessories catalog. Look in the LR UK website. Also, in addition to searching the Tirerack website,search Atlantic British. They carry a bunch of LR parts and equipment for all the LR vehicles.
    smich
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know if these are an option to chains or cables? Looks like "Auto Socks" is a variant of the same idea.

Snowbootz: A new and better winter traction aid for vehicles

• ucla95ucla95 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a set of the 18" wheels from an SE in black chrome PVD with Pirelli Scorpion snow tires and sensors and everything installed and shipped for $2200 from calchrome.com
    Really like how they turned out.
    I have a semi-bad problem in my HSE. At 70mph quite a lot of vibration starts coming through the steering wheel, at 80mph it's unbearable. I've tried adjusting tire pressures etc and it doesn't do anything. Any thoughts? Anyone else with this problem?
    This vibration is making me think I made a mistake in buying this truck.
  • matrsoskinmatrsoskin Member Posts: 32
    Do not get upset: try to balance tires.

Happy Holidays!
    Unfortunately I already tried rebalancing all the tires and it did nothing, not even a little bit of help. Still tons of vibration, I can feel it all through the car. Going to ask them to test the engine mounts next. Still no-one else with the same experience?
  • SchlehkeSchlehke Member Posts: 1
    I recently went out and test drove and got some information on the newer Land Rover LR2's. I am very interested in the LR2, everything about it from the luxury appointed interior to its off road capabilities but I am worried about the reliability of the car. Has anybody had major issues with their LR2?? I know that the original Freelander was a horrendous car from a reliability and service aspect. Although the dealer reassures me that not a single screw from the LR2 is from the original freelander I am still not sold on landrovers past in the reliability side of the market. If anybody has any past experience I would love to hear about. If I hear people saying their getting a hundred thousand miles on their cars without any problems then I'm sold and I'm going to pick one up.

Thanks
  • ohwell159ohwell159 Member Posts: 11
    I have 20,000 miles on my LR2. I love it. I would say it has been problem free. I am glad I took the chance. I too was like you and did the research and was very concerned. My dealership takes great care of me. I have had her in for her scheduled
    oil changes and a few very minor things. Two of them were for recalls. I am very happy with my decision.
    Unfortunately I have to warn off any potential purchasers of this vehicle. The vibration problem is very very dangerous. I cannot hold onto the steering wheel over 70mph, and the whole truck is shuddering (except the engine which is smooth). Clearly this is a driveline issue (CV joint?) which the dealer will unlikely be able to remedy. I will have to go down the lemon law route which is unfortunate.
    ucla95 - Although Land Rover is now owned by Tata Motors, I suggest contacting the President of Jaguar Land Rover North America and explaining the situation to him. Copy the Dealership Manager on your correspondence so that he/she knows that you are going directly to the top with this issue. I've had my LR2 since October of 2007 and had a few issues with my dealer. After contacting the President of JLRNA (Jaguar Land Rover North America) I was immediately contacted by Headquarters Customer Service and the issues were taken care of right away.

I love my LR2 even though it has its quirks. It sounds like yours is a major
    issue which I'm sure will be handled right away.

Good Luck. It sounds like your issue is affecting only your vehicle and not
    others, as mine is not having this issue.

Check out the attached link for further information on the President of JLRNA:
    http://rovering.squarespace.com/journal/2008/9/25/north-america-jaguar-land-rove- r-north-america-llc-announces.html

Email me directly if you have any further questions.
  • MAlr2ownerMAlr2owner Member Posts: 8
    :) I have a 2008 LR2 with 33,000 miles on it.. I have owned it for about 14 months.. Not a hint of a problem. The service from my dealewr is first rate.. Now my wife wants one too.. Her car is a 2002 Chevy Surburban.. big difference in what it can carry..

Several days ago driving in very bad snow storm.. I discovered that if I put it into the snow mode and use the select shift.. I had no issues stopping or moving along.
    I have 33,000 miles on my LR2.. They gave me an estimate at the Land Rover dealer.. but I am inclined to go to a tire store.. any suggestions on the OEM replacement? I am thinking Michelins. The current tires are about 70% used..
  • ronxlr2ronxlr2 Member Posts: 46
    Has anyone had to replace their front brakes for their LR2 yet? Not long ago, I had to shell out $200-300 (can't remember exactly how much) to replace the rear brake pads. I dropped my LR2 off for the 30k mile service this morning and I just got a voicemail saying I needed new front brake pads, which would run just over $400 for parts and installation. After doing a quick search on the web, I found some EBC front brake pads for under $100. Are they really trying to charge me over $300 to install front brake pads?

Should I take it somewhere else to have the brake pads done? Or is $400 reasonable for replacing front brake pads?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It seems a bit odd to me that you had to replace your rear pads before the front ones. Ordinarily the front pads do ~80% of the work of stopping a vehicle. Maybe Land Rover shifts most of that work to the rear axle with a brake equalization gizmo?

$400 is a bit high, but about half what people seem to pay for a Mercedes M-Class brake job.

If you have time to mess with it, I think I'd take it somewhere for a second opinion, especially if the same shop did the rear pads.
    ucla95 - Did you try contacting Gary Temple about your vibration problems yet?
    If you've already replaced your rear pads and now they're saying that you need new front ones you either:
    A. Have a heavy foot or tend to ride the brakes...
    B. Have carbon graphite brake pads - these tend to work much better but also wear much faster
    C. Need to find a new service center as it appears they're blowing smoke up your ....

I would ask the service center what type of pad they've been using on your vehicle and if they can show you the difference between your stock pads and carbon graphite ones. Request an ITEMIZED estimate (listing all of the components they'll be replacing and with what type) from a few service centers before dropping your cash on the counter.

Good luck.
    thanks for the replies so far.... i just talked to them and they said the front brake pads are more expensive than the rear brake pads... they said the front brake pads are $250 and installation cost is $155.

i've never replaced brake pads myself and don't have a lot of time on my hands to mess with it... so i'm considering just telling him to do it and take the hit. i do remember them quoting me about $400 when i had to get the rear pads replaced a couple months ago, and then when i went to pick it up, they said they had been looking at the "wrong pads" and that it was only $250. So it seems like maybe they use some really fancy pads for the front and average pads for the back... does that sound about right?

Rob
    ucla 95 - The email address to Gary Temple, now President of Jaguar Land Rover North America can be found at the following website link:
    http://www.automotivedigest.com/resources/resource_results.asp?md_seq_id=8&sg_se- q_id=354
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    That sounds outrageous for the cost of pads. I don't care which manufacturer is making them. Unless they are carbon ceramic and still ridiculously expensive, that is crazy money.

That being said, brakes are the one part I recommend using dealer parts. The factory pads always seem to be the best compromise of performance and noise and dust (BMW being the exception). If it were me, I'd try to find someone to do the job using factory parts. The labor quoted is not crazy, but the pad price seems just nuts.

Regards,
    Tom
    yeah, i'm going to have to do some research so i'll be ready next time i need to replace the pads... since i didn't really have time to investigate and don't want to risk shredding the rotors in the meantime, i told them to go ahead and do it.

too bad there's only one LR stealorship anywhere close to where I live.
  • weideweide Member Posts: 2
    The service advisor at Scottsdale Land Rover told me when I had my LR2 in for service that the LR2 and LR3 would no longer be brought into the states.
    He didn't give me a date but hinted that they couldn't compete on price with Ford and GM.
  • gillzgillz Member Posts: 15
    I have an LR3 HSE with 19" wheels and the front brakes + rotors recently were replaced by a local Land Rover repair shop - not a dealer. Costs as follows :

Brake Pads (set of 2) $108
    Front Rotors - cross drilled $198
    Brake Sensor $22.34
    Installation, cleaning of rear brakes and lube caliper sliding surfaces $192

Hope this helps - for front pads alone, you are clearly getting shafted...
    Even the service manager thought the prices for those pads were pretty high, but he assured me that's what they listed for. I don't know much about brake pads, but from what I've read, the front pads used in the LR2 are different from standard brake pads and tend to be more costly -- I have no idea why, and am certainly going to look into whether alternate 3rd party pads would work just as good (for $96 ordered online)... the pads I'm talking about are HBC and are the only ones I've found for the LR2... does anyone know about this brand?
    Thank you very much for this, I will contact him this week. To give an update the truck has been at my dealers twice and they have no idea. They rebalanced the wheels and nothing and cleaned the rotors and axles and nothing. I love the looks and interior of this truck but if I can't drive it on the highway it's a joke.
  • SeattleLR2SeattleLR2 Member Posts: 1
    I love my new LR2. All except for the rear spoiler. It drains the Rover look from the car. How can I remove it? I see two clips at either side of the gate, but I believe there is an adhesive pad on each side, too. Can I remove it without ruining the paint? Has anyone used goo-gone or does it ruin the finish? And what performance downside (water, drainage) should I expect? Thanks!
  • roundstoneroundstone Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have passage side seat belt problem? Belt retracted and would not release anymore on this LR2 with 15kmiles.
  • rover2brover2b Member Posts: 8
    I've had my LR2 for 10 months, have 15k miles and have not had any issues whatsoever. I fell in love with the truck when I saw it at the Washington Auto Show, did some research and became concerned about vehicle reliability, much like others have posted. But, I have to admit that so far, I am completely satisfied with my LR2. As with all vehicles, there are some minor things I would change (I had the windows, particularly the sunroof, tinted as the interior gets pretty toasty in our hot, humid Washington summers) but I was drawn to the overall look and feel of the vehicle as well as all the standard features that made it stand out amongst the competitors. The dealer and its service department has treated me well as well and that's always a bonus. Best of luck! :)
  • jax10jax10 Member Posts: 36
    2008 LR2 HSE
    17,000 miles
    Tears worn down to wear bar or whatever it is called, all worn evenly. I bought this new 1 year ago. Yes, they have been rotated, etc.
    Anyone else with this problem? Should not have to buy tires for a long time...put 3 times that many miles on Tahoe & Suburban tires....very disappointed with this. Have loved the LR2 so far.
    What will or should dealership do about this problem?
    Thanks.
    I have the same issue.. but it doesn't matter how LONG you have had your car.. The important issue is how many MILES you have on it. That's the issue with any tire and the wear. Nothing wrong with the vehicle if the tires wear.. I have 35,000 miles on my LR2 after 15 months and on my list is a tire replacement. The dealer gave me a quote of something over $1,000 and I plan to go to a tire dealer for a quote as well. With full time 4 wheel drive... you will go through tires more quickly. I also suspect that the original tires were a good traction tire which may tend to wear more quickly. I had my tires rotated, of course, but any car with fulll time 4 wheel will wear through tires.. Also the car is a heavy car.. another factor.. ao nothing unusual.. just a cost to drive a vehicle like the LR2..
  • roberto6roberto6 Member Posts: 23
    I had same problem on my new Pirelli Scorpion tires - winter. After 25 000 KM
    tires worn out. Not even 2 complete winters. All highway driving.
  • jax10jax10 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for replying,
    But, of course I know it is not how LONG you have had your car, it is the MILES...
    As I said it only has 17,500 miles on it, that is HALF the miles that you said you have & you have not replaced your tires yet.
    But it's time now .. at 35,000 miles.... I have not noticed what brand of tire LR puts on the vehicle... today I was driving in snow and thpught about pulling in somewhere for replacement.. I would expect that the dealership will be more expensive than anywhere else for this..
    The email address provided didn't work. I tried some other permutations and nothing. My dealer said my car was not welcome at their dealership anymore as well apparently since they can't fix it they can't get paid. I'll never buy another Land Rover that's for sure.
    I can't believe no one will help you if your complaint is legit.. If not go to your Attorney General..
  • bostonsportsbostonsports Member Posts: 1
    our great warranty does not cover brakes & rotors, i also need a tire pressure gauge that got frozen in the cold weather . the gauge is made by Ford. I am told I need a new sensor also if I am doing brakes. Please does someone have a parts book that can give me p/n's and a place I might get these parts cheaper then the dealer. would like the better brake pads. advise. stewart gubostonsports@yahoo.com
    Warranties do not usually cover brakes, rotors, wipers, tires and so on..Neither does LR. They wear out. As it happens, today I am getting 4 new tires.. I have 36,000 or so miles on mine. I went to a "tire" store as opposed to the dealership. The guy there included re-building the pressure sensors as he says they tend to corrode and will usually need re-building as they have dis-similar metals in contact thereby creating a corrosion issue.. He said very typical all manufacturers.
    Contact me directly at sixthflick@hotmail.com and I will email you Gary Temple's direct email address. His email address was recently changed, but I've been in contact with him recently so I know this new one works.
  • jessica873jessica873 Member Posts: 11
    does anyone have a 2009 lr2? how do u like it? any problems? price paid?
    zero issues.. love it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to check out the Land Rover LR2 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • forester2forester2 Member Posts: 3
    After many nights researching and comparing I finally went with the LR2. Thought hard about the MB 330, L350, XC70 and X3. After test driving all 5 there was no question about going with the LR2. Special ordered the no cost 18" rims. I only had to compare costs and tire options available in the 18" vs 19" to go with the 18". After 3 months I have to say I like the LR2 better every time I drive it. Have had it in deep snow, ice, mud, potholes and interstate. It's just plain fun to drive. The straight 6 engine takes me back to my old torquey Chevy. No problems so far. Wish they would have stayed with the free 50,000 mi maintenance.
    Try Rovers North or Atlantic British.
    You're kidding? They did away with the 50,000 mile maintenance? Are you sure that wasn't just the dealer that you bought from? If so I'm glad I bought mine in '07 and it still only has about 16k on it, so I'm in good shape.