Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Infiniti QX4 Owners is club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in SUVs.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • nk99nk99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, there:
    I am looking for a new set of floor mats for my QX4 (99). And I believe it uses same set as 01 model. Send me an e-mail if you still have it.

zhangy9488@hotmail.com
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    What kind of tires does the QX4 come with for the 17" wheels? Any comments on how each performs would be appreciated.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    245/65/R17

Either Michilen MTX or Bridgestone Dueler.

The Bridgestone has been the tire of choice for the QX4 for years, but the new Mich. has a better tread life rating, I think.
  • cgatzkecgatzke Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering what others think. My '97 QX4 has enough power for me but, will over-taxing the weaker engine give the same fuel economy than if i had a more powerful engine, which would not be working as hard, say an SUV with a V8? Hopefully i made myself clear. I love the QX4, and i hope i am not taxing the engine too much, also the cost of gasoline right now. THanks.
  • rfrohockrfrohock Member Posts: 1
    Hookey,
    I have a Silver 2000 QX4 approx. 15K miles that is perfect. Live locally, e-mail is rfrohock@ma.ultranet.com
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    I have a 2001 4x4 QX4 and like it a lot. I bought mine from Kelly Infiniti, up in Danvers. Ask for Rich Decker(good guy). There's also Herb Chambers Infiniti down in Boston and another dealership in Norwood. I believe all of the locations have QX4s in stock.

The QX4 doesn't have a third seat option.
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    i believe the tires are michilen LTX M/S
    thats what mine came with on the 17" 3-spoke

there were others on the lot with the Dunlop tires.

the LTX M/S are excellent tires.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Just curious. Anybody have an idea of the longevity of the HID lights. I know it varies based on usage. Also, any ideas on what replacing the lights are when they burn out. Is it as simple as replacing the bulbs.

Thanks
    Tony
  • moonchild3moonchild3 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Infinity QX4 2WD with 10,000 miles. Leather, air, sunroof, 6-disc changer, radio, automatic seats and windows, a/c. Perfect condition. Asking $29,500. Live in San Mateo, CA just south of San Francisco. Vino91@pacbell.net
  • mhornormhornor Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a QX4 or an Acura MDX.
    Does anyone know:
    1) how the new QX4 design will be different from the current model
    2) resell for Infinite vs. Acura(I am frustrated with the resell value of my Mazda Millenia)
    3)Austin dealerships
    4) why service is so high at Infiniti vs. Nissan and if Nissan service is reliable on an QX4
    5) what problems owners are experiencing with '01 QX4 model.
    Thank you, I'm frustsrated with the "sales talk" I'm receiving at the dealership, do not know what to believe!
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    Does anyone know:
    1) how the new QX4 design will be different from the current model
    visit www.freshalloy.com then go to model matrix
    i think its in two years

2) resell for Infinite vs. Acura(I am frustrated with the resell value of my Mazda Millenia)
    i would assume honda/acura has higher resale. no clue about the magnitude of difference.

3)Austin dealerships
    not from that area

4) why service is so high at Infiniti vs. Nissan and if Nissan service is reliable on an QX4
    my service dealer is nissan/infiniti. same prices same service

5) what problems owners are experiencing with '01 QX4 model.
    nothing yet. fuel consumption is high but its just as bad on most SUVs. check out the fuel consumption numbers when you shop around.
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    You ask an interesting question. I like the QX4 alot, but I don't think it is in the same league as the MDX. The MDX is larger inside and out, more stable, better resale value (Infiniti's have poor resale), probably better offset crash worthiness (the Pathfinder/QX4 did poorly in the offset crash test), has more leg and headroom etc. It's a personal decision, but I would choose the MDX. By the way, the MDX has 4 wheel disc brakes and independent rear suspension, which the QX4 does not have. I think for the money you could save, a Pathfinder LE, after discounts, would compare favorably to the MDX. The Pathfinder LE price advantage would be too large to ignore. In the case of the QX4 there would be no price advantage. Good luck!!!!
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    The truth is, all these tests don't apply to real world crashes, they are somewhat subjective to most car manufacturers. Example: My next door neighbor driving her RX300 hit a concrete flower box while pulling into a parking space under 5 mph and the air bag went off breaking her right hand and wrist, plus 13 stitches to her left eye because of her wearing sunglasses...go figure.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    BMW has gone in public saying that in their research they have found that the IIHS test to be reflective of real world conditions and hence design their cars with it in mind. Same goes for Volvo, and MB. European and Australian NCAPs (New car assestment programment) now include the offset crash test as well. Perform poorly in that and you can't sell the car in the country. The offset crash test is certainly more reflective of real world conditions than crashing head first into a non-deformable concrete wall at 35mph. How many people do that compared to having another car cross the centre line and plow headfirst into yours (which is what the IIHS test simulates)?

The airbag should not go off at 5mph. That's the speed the bumper tests are conducted! 20 mph is a more likely figure. As for breaking her wrist, that's caused by incorrect positioning on the hand on the wheel. Never grasp the top of the steering wheel. Always 9 and 3.

Tony, the bulbs should last for practically the lifetime of the vehicle. There is no filament inside the HID bulb to break or burn out. A qualified technician must change the bulb if there is a problem since the system deals with extremely high voltages (20,000 volts).

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    As I said in the real world a person may or may not have their hands positioned correctly or an air bag shouldn't go off under a 5 mph bump...but it happens. These are machines and if your car is even slighty hit differently then the IIHS test, the results could be dramatically different. I guess my point is, when the IIHS rams these car centered exactly going precisely straight down the path and hitting the the barrier with the weight of one dummy in the car, is that real world?...hardly. It only gives you a picture based on their exact positioning of the vehicle. This is what car manufacturers are saying and I somewhat believe their opinion.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Resale value on QX4's has always been fairly strong. Over 50% after four years depending on color, condition, and milage.
  • ppnffppnff Member Posts: 65
    We bought our 2000 QX4 in December 1999. Our QX4 has 9800 miles on it (we do not drive it a lot) and the rear driver side tire is having difficulty retaining tire pressure. The mechanic who helped me replace the faulty tire with the spare told me that it looks like a belt problem since he could not find any holes. The tires are the original Bridgestone Duelers. Can anyone help with any insights on how Infiniti handles warranty claims on tires? From reading the owner's manual, it looks like the warranty claim must be filed with Bridgestone, not Infiniti. Also, Infiniti seems to distance themselves from any tire problems. Either way, with the low mileage, the young age of our QX4, and type of problem with the particular tire, I intend to hold both Infiniti and Bridgestone accountable. Let me know if anyone has had the same problems and any recourses. Thank you.
  • mallen240mallen240 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else noticed that the IIHS last performed a crash test on a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE? Different engine, different body style, different safety equipment from 2001 models. If you look at the NHTSA crash test ratings, you'll see that the 1997 Pathfinder had three star ratings for both driver and passenger. The 2001 Pathfinder/QX4 has a four star rating for the driver and a five star rating for the passenger in the frontal crash test with five star ratings in side crash tests. Something doesn't add up. The IIHS seems to be basing its marginal rating on outdated information. They may eventually crash test a 2001 model. Who knows, the future test may show a marginal rating, but I doubt that it will. The 2001 Toyota 4Runner safety rating was upgraded by the IIHS under similar circumstances without a test to confirm the rating. For those concerned about actual insurance costs, my premium went down by 20 percent when I traded in a 2000 Maxima for the 2001 Pathfinder (nothing wrong with the Maxima, just needed something for skiing, hauling dogs, etc).
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    are essentally the same vehicle, just a different engine and slightly different body add-ons.

ace
  • joe_macjoe_mac Member Posts: 7
    I have looked at most of the SUV's on the market and the QX4 is at the top of the list for me. The MDX drives like a mini-van. The X5 is too small and the rear tailgate is poorly designed. The RX300 is too small. The Mercedes looks like a bus. Would I get a better deal buyer a late model 2001 or should I wait for a 2002? When will the 2002 model arrive? Thanks.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I agree whole heartedly with your opinion about the QX4 having the most esthetically pleasing body style. I bought a 2001 Pathfinder 2 months ago and enjoy driving it immensely; the 240 HP engine just purrs.

I understand MY 2002 will be unchanged but MY 2003 may be a much larger truck. That wasn't an issue for me as I really like the current body style. Besides, it guzzles enough gas as it is!

Up here in Canada, Nissan just this week offered the local Toronto dealers $1,500 rebates. The Pathfinder "XE" trim is being offered at $32,500 Cdn. I haven't seen same for QX4 yet though.
  • joe_macjoe_mac Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for response. Glad you are enjoying your Pathfinder. The 240 HP engine is great.
  • calvinsj1calvinsj1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my QX4 Model 2001 with full options from last Nov 2000. I like the Navigation System. It works so perfect. I recomemd buyers to buy this car. The car is so smooth and so much horse power.

The only disadvantage about this car is GAS.....GASS..... it takes so many galonsof gases and gases. I spend more than $200 for gas per month.

Path Finder is a CHEAP car. It can't compare to QX4
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    "Path Finder is a CHEAP car."

Or try: QX4 is an overpriced Pathfinder.
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    To each his/her own guys/girls. I found it hard to "settle" for the Pathfinder after one drive in the QX4. I quote settle because I think the Pathfinder is a great vehicle.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    but, to each his own...both are great vehicles but i just don't want to pay more than i have to.
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    for a QX4 since it is a Pathfinder? It looks almost exactly like the Pathfinder. Wouldn't a Pathfinder EL be equal to a QX4? My wife is in the market for another SUV, she has a 4-Runner, and we both agreed that the QX4 is a Pathfinder. Then again the Lexus DX 470 is a Land cruiser, but I guess if they build it someone will buy it. Even if it's the same vehicle with different badges, different front end, and 10K more!!

I was just wondering why anyone would pay extra for a QX4?
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    My sentiments exactly JQ3 ... QX$ is a Pathfinder LE in disguise. Admittedly, there are some differences but it is difficult to rationalize the $5000 ? premium.

Most importantly, it is the IDENTICAL 240 HP 3.5L powerplant (and a fine one it is!).

My $0.02.
    Both are excellent vehicles. My personal view is that the QX4 is a pretty vehicle and the Pathfinder is a handsome looking vehicle...does that make any since?
  • endophilendophil Member Posts: 16
    I had a 1998 QX4 for three years. Reliability was great,but the car wasn't. It was noisy, the engine was underpowered, so so interior. when it was time to purchase a new SUV I was hesitant about another QX4. To my surprise the 2001 is a great SUV. It's quiet, great engine,classy interior. Infiniti made this the SUV I always wanted.This is definitly not a pathfinder in my eyes. It has so much more class. For all you people looking to compare QX4 is the way to go. The mpg is still terrible,but you can't have everything. Maybe Infinity will correct that next.For all you RX300 fans out there it is a great SUV. To me it is fine for a woman not a real SUV. Just an opinion.
  • sally20sally20 Member Posts: 1
    I had originally had the same impressions with respect to the QX4 being basically the same as the LE Pathfinder. It is in the mechanical. However upon test driving both back to back I can say that the QX4 definitly drives smoother over washboard type road surfaces and bumps. It is also generally a more quiet vehicle in comparison to the Pathfinder LE. Also, I believe that the seating is more comfortable, probably due to the different grade of leather. The difference in drive feel was explained to primarily in the suspension tuning and larger 17" wheels that the QX4 has. Also, supposedly Infinity puts in more sound insulation into the product vs the Pathfinder. Is it worth the extra dollars? My wife thinks so and that's the end of it!
  • vkraynovvkraynov Member Posts: 8
    This is a beaten up topic, but there are a few interesting and expensive options on QX4, which are not available on PF - some of which are in no particular order:

Xenon headlamps
    electroluminescent dash
    better sound insulation
    4th year of warranty
    free loaner car for service

The drive is definitely smoother on QX4, as many people noticed, and I agree (I bought QX4 three months ago, after having test-driven both within two hours of each other). Arguably, '01 QX4 has a cleaner executed interior (wood trim panelling covering cup holders between front seats for example, or wood inlayed steering wheel). The difference in price is more like $2500, not $5000, which is less than 8% of the vehicle total price. The same incentives are available on QX4, as on PF, including 3.9% financing currently. It's anybody's call whether the above is worth the premium. Both are great trucks.
  • curtnheidicurtnheidi Member Posts: 36
    Just got a 1999 QX4, and it seems a noisy at speeds over 25mph. It sounds as if the exhaust is the culprit. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet, just thought I would get some input from the forum. Is this common? Anyone have similar experience?

Curt
  • pmallonpmallon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 QX4 and yes, it gets noisy as your accelerating. According to reviews and comments I have been reading its normal. The QX4's are notorious for sounding like they are straining but they are not, Its a powerful(underpowered) reliable engine. They are also know to downshift at high RPM's. What I do is control my engine...If I am getting on a highway or increasing speed, I push it to X rpm and release the pedel a bit until it downshifts, then increase speed. The engne is built to last and I hope the 2001 240hp is a huge difference, I am thinking about trading in my 98 for a 2001. I need more power. But everything else I am happy with, It's a really solid truck and the interior is solid as well. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference of the 170-240 hp?, can you really feel a difference. I know it will be faster but is it quieter and smoother???
  • endophilendophil Member Posts: 16
    There is an absolute difference in power,smoothness,definitly less noisy. The 2001 QX4 is a totally different SUV than the 1998 or 1999.Like I said before, the only similarity is the gas mileage still sucks
  • bfannbfann Member Posts: 8
    we drove the qx4 last week and loved it. has anyone heard of any lease deals going on with this car? thanks
  • pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    No lease deals that I'm aware of, at least there weren't any when I researched recently for the Colorado area. They do have a 3.9% financing deal in effect until the end of this month that is a great deal over any rates you'll find with either e-loan or the other online financing centers. I just bought a 2001 QX4 last Thursday and absolutely love the vehicle. Performed like a champ in the Colorado Rockies over the weekend.
  • hvarsovhvarsov Member Posts: 1
    quiet, comfortable, the best seat of them all, classy and luxurious ride-----that is the qx4--------I rode them all and checked them all out and if you have to have a truck, this is the closest to a car like ride you are going to find--------add a small sub woofer to the radio and it will be the perfect car/suv-------The Bridgestone tires are softer and quieter than the Michelin tires and i dont care if they wear out faster---I love my 2001 qx4
  • eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    Has anyone replaced their factory speakers?
    I'm getting too much static noise from
    both of the front door speakers. I also
    have to re-tighten the spare tire holder
    every 4 months due to squeeky noise
    coming from that area. So far 16,000 miles
    and I absolutly enjoy this vehicle.
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    that's exactly one of the reason that you purchased the qx4 instead of the pathfinder, right?

have the dealer replace the speaker and permanently fix the rattling spare tire.

ace
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Anybody have info on changes to the "Q" for the 2002 model year?
    Thanks !
  • grover3711grover3711 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. Just got a new black '01 QX4 and I'm loving it. I was wondering what all modifications/additions people have made to their qx4's so far. Eds1300, I noticed a similar squeeking/rattling sound from the spare tire and static from the speakers... were the dealers able to fix the problems?...and if so what all did they do?
    (thanks again 4 the help and info)...

grover
  • jscatenajscatena Member Posts: 61
    Be careful if you try to tighten. There are two bumpers under there that, if allowed to rub, will rub the finish off your alloy wheel.

jpscatena@t-one.net
  • darlagaultdarlagault Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 QX4 AWD with 5,000 miles. I took it in to the dealer for oil change and needed to have the tires rotated due to cupping on the front. I only drive city streets and some highway. I had been leaving transmission in "auto" instead of rear-wheel drive. I have Michelin tires. Does this tire wear seem normal? Could there be something wrong with the front-end? Other advice?
    Thanks
    Does anyone know what the Front to Rear weight distribution is on the 2001 QX4 4WD ?
    Thank you
  • eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    I have not taken my vehicle to the dealer in Dallas, but will soon. I will update this board after. One advice for those new QX4 owners, please check your tire pressure, when I purchased
    mine at Crest Infiniti in Plano my tire pressure
    was at 55 psi due to the summer heat.
    Good luck to everyone.
  • dbarnumdbarnum Member Posts: 1
    I've narrowed my mid size search to the QX4 & am close to buying. Is regular gas ok or is it nec'y to use higher octane?

p.s. great site
    I recently took in my 2001 QX4 with 4,996 miles for the first oil change. My Michelin tires showed cupping on the front, so a tire rotation was necessary. I had been driving in "Auto" 4WD instead of "2WD" (rear wheel drive). Has anyone else had this problem ? What causes cupping? I drive mainly city streets, some highway. I use Regular gas with no problems, and I am getting 15 MPG. I love this vehicle.
  • piwitopiwito Member Posts: 4
    Help! I am in the market for a '97 or '98 qx4, unfortunate I cannot afford the '01 model,
    Any comments are appreciated, I have been reading about the not enough power and about being to noisy at lower speeds or when accelerating. Now I am having doubts.
    thanks