Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2

british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
Ok so now that there is some realistic looking media out there on the new LR2 I would like to open up some discussion on it.

The latest video is here.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=110159

So what do you think?

There is a real market here as proven by the RX and X3 models.

Acura has the RDX coming out that should arrive a little before the LR2. None of these vehicles have any off road capability at all so if the LR2 comes out with similar on road performance and features but with some real off road functionality I think they will have something.

There is a little bit of a niche that can be explored here.

Put the LR2 in the three trim system just like the LR3 is.

S level trim of the LR2 would be the base level and be priced at round about $27,000 just like the 2005 Freelander was.

Use Duragrain/leatherate in this model maybe make the sunroof optional along with real leather just like the S level trim in the LR3 is. Upgraded interior would put the car at just under $30,000

Possibly use a differently tuned Volvo 5 cylinder turbo motor for this trim.

Next trim level is SE.

Standard Leather and sunroofs optional navigation possibly and BI-Xenon lights. Probably a twin turbo straight six fron Volvo is standard.

Price this trim at around $31,900 starting and just under $36,000 with all options

Next trim level up is HSE.

Do it just like the HSE LR3, standard NAV and bi-xenons. Little bit larger wheels and tires upgraded interior with a little wood trim or maybe include a package with some metal finishes instead of wood.

Add an optional air suspension for the HSE LR2. Don't make it as advanced as the LR3 suspension but a little bit of autoleveling and a small amount of extra ground clearance would be good.

Start the HSE trim LR2 at just under 38,000, a little under where a base LR3 with the six cylinder no sunroofs or leather starts, make the air suspension the only real option probably and cap the max MSRP of a LR2 at just under $40,000.

Comments?

Comments

• stevenzozstevenzoz Member Posts: 8
    that sounds like a really good estimate.

also sounds very promising =]
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I hope I am estimating about right.

One of the things that killed the orginal freelander was that it was priced way out of its market competition.

Without even considering the vehicles other shortfalls that showed up later.

Moving it up a class to compete with the RX, X3 and future RDX is the way to go.
    LRL(Land Rover Life) magazine has several spy photos of the LR2 in CO doing cold weather testing.

Most Land Rover Retailers have LRL at their Centres that you can just pick up.
    New Land Rover LR2 pics.

Not sure how accurate they are but they are supposed to be from the preview broucure avaliable in Europe currently.

More new Land Rover LR2 pictures.

I have not hear anything yet besides announcment at either London or Paris auto shows and possible sale about this time next year as a 2008 Model.
    These are supposed to be more official ones.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    ..which is a good thing, IMO.. I always liked the look of the Freelander..

Surprising, when you see how far away the looks of the LR3 are from the Disco...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

If you would like to delete the above post to fix the format issue I can make another post with just the links to the pictures instead.
    This is on the UK Land Rover site LR2/Freelander 2 in Europe.

Give the site some time to load as it appears to be a little slow.

Just glancing through the features now I see they removed the rock crawl setting from Terrain Response. That is good cause no one should be rock crawling without low range.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    Which car platform is the LR2 based on?
    One of the volvo platforms but I am not really sure which one.

Probably the P2 platform that is used by the S60, S80, V70 and XC90.

What we were originaly told about a year ago was that it would be built on a heavily modified version of the next generation, sharing less then 40% of the components, X-type platform from Jaguar. It is being built at the Halewood Jaguar plant in England where the X-type is built so I guess this is still true.
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    3.2 inline 6 Cylinder from Volvo, also used in the new S80, 230bhp, 234 ib ft torque and 0-62mph 8.4 secs using a new 6 speed auto. Diesel, although im not sure if it will go on sale in the US is a 2.2 158bhp and 295 ib ft torque (same as the Liberty) engine developed with Peugeot and Citroen. It also uses the same platform as the new Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Volvo S40 and V50. The same platform will also be used again by Volvo for the XC50 which will be a baby XC90. I dont know about pricing in the states, but over here in the UK, around 22 - 30K is what people are saying, no word from LR them selves though.
    introductory press kit for the LR2 from Land Rover.

I will post some experts from it as I get the chance.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Great! One thing I'm curious about is the Terrain Response AWD system? Is it similar to that found on the LR3? More specifically, does it include a low range mode?

Bob
    No low range in the LR2 I am sorry to say. The terrain response system will be permanant AWD with four terran response modes.

1. General Driving
    2. Snow/Grass/Gravel
    3. Mud and Ruts
    4. Sand mode

I would have loved it if they included low range but I understand why they did not. If you look at the premium small SUV segment none of them have low range. It is not necessary to compete in the segment and while it would be a great thing to claim in a contest of one-upmanship it would probably price the LR2 out of the segment. It is also added weight and complexity that Land Rover does not need in order to have the LR2 help out their CAFE raiting.

The vehicles that the LR2 are competing against will be...

1. RDX
    2. X3
    3. RX350 to a lesser extent
    4. future Q5
    5. Future small Merc SUV

None of them will have low range but unlike the LR2 none of them will have a bit of off-road capablity. I wouldn't even want to take any of those vehicles ona dry sandy beach.

The LR2 will make its European debut on Tuesday, July 18th at the london international auto show.

Europe will also get a diesel and while initialy not avaliable a 6 speed manual will be offered in Europe sometime in the spring of 2007.

I hope the diesel will eventually made avaliable for North America although I doubt the manual ever will be.

In North America only the 3.2 liter inline 6 that makes 230 hp at 6300 rpm and 234 lb.-ft of torque at 3200 rpm combined with a 6 speed automatic with manual shift and addaptive technology will be offered.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    Maybe it was the angle, but I thought the profile resembled the Escape!

The Volvo I6 is one big lump of an engine. I think it would work better mounted longitudinally (as it originally was in the 760 / 960), but I don't think any of the current Volvo platforms support that.
    No low range in the LR2 I am sorry to say. The terrain response system will be permanant AWD with four terran response modes.

Bummer indeed.

I would have loved it if they included low range but I understand why they did not. If you look at the premium small SUV segment none of them have low range. It is not necessary to compete in the segment and while it would be a great thing to claim in a contest of one-upmanship it would probably price the LR2 out of the segment. It is also added weight and complexity that Land Rover does not need in order to have the LR2 help out their CAFE raiting.

I don't buy it, not one bit. This is a "Land Rover," not another SUV wannabe. It should have a low range! If anything, the low range would set it apart from its competition, as well as reconfirm its off-road heritage. Offer it as an option if need be—but offer it!

If Jeep can offer a low range option for the Patriot, so should Land Rover offer this feature in the LR2. Granted, it's doubtful those two will ever be cross-shopped, but that's not the point. The point is every "trail-rated" Jeep offers a low range. So should should Land Rover.

Bob
    The originaly freelander did not have Low Range and was frankly amazing off road. The only thing it could not do well was rock crawling and even then a good driver with help from the HDC system could go places many Low range equipped SUVs could not go.

Last I heard the patriod and compass were not getting low range so had that changed?
    That's true for the Compass. The Patriot will have low range as part of an option package called Freedom Drive II. See link.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18

I would still want a low range, if for no other reason other than off-road insurance. Same with a full-size spare tire. I'm hoping the LR2 at least has that? Also, what the tow rating (braked and unbraked)?

Bob
    I don't think they have released tow raitings yet for the LR2. The freelander was 3500 lbs I think with trailer brakes.
  • bosi77bosi77 Member Posts: 37
    Will the land rover LR2 have an adjustable air suspension?
    From all I have seen no.
  • bosi77bosi77 Member Posts: 37
    I want to know how do you start a new forum? Can you please help me out?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I can help you (I'm the host!) - what do you want to do? Please make sure we don't already have a discussion before starting a new one. Use the search tool at the left.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yeah better to let Kristie help you I just post here and I do that too much.

When I started this thread I looked around to see if there was anything on the LR2 and when I didn't I just started it.

In retrospect I should have named the thread Land Rover LR2 instead of 2008 Land Rover LR2.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    two questions about the upcoming LR2.

1. Was Car and Driver on the money with pricing? I.e. starting at 29,000 and 34,000 loaded?
    2. How does the LR2 compare in size to my 01 Montero sport, wheel base is nearly the same, but did not see any other numbers for the LR2

Thanks!
    They haven't told us pricing yet but I would hope that is what they would keep it at around that.

They originaly said they the base price of the LR2 would be around about where the old Freelander topped out. This makes me think a 29,999 base price, keep in mind no one will order those cars, and then probably mid to upper 30,000s for the top end.

Land Rover has already increassed the base price of the LR3 signifcantly for 2007 so I bet they are leaving room for a very pricey 38,000-40,000 dollar LR2. The LR3 used to start under 40,000 but Land Rover has now required that all V6 LR3s come with the 3000 dollar premium package. That combined with the normaly year to year price increases means that I think a 2007 LR3 will start around 43,000. They have not announed 2007 pricing yet either so I do not know for sure.

The only other bits of data I have on the LR2 as far as size is concerned are for interior volume.

Luggage volume with the rear seats folded stands at 59 cubic feet. With the rear seats up volume stands at 26.5 cubic feet. These numbers are aproximate and could change some. That is a little less then 10 cubic feet more space then the old freelander.
    hmmmm....35,000 for a premimum small SUV maybe, but 40,000 might be too much. Even though the wheel base is nearly the same the luggage space sounds quite a bit smaller than what I have right now.

I guess I will have to wait and see when they arrive. From the pictures it is a very handsome SUV, and I like the thought of comfort and ability. ;)
    An X3 starts at 36,800 and with just the typical options breaks 40,000 awful quick.
    Really the LR2 was not on my list until I received my most recent Car and Driver. My Montero Sport has the balance of room and off road ability for my family. I would not look at an X3 for that reason, i.e. other than heading to the local ski area is is not much of an off roader. The LR2 merits a second look because is has off road ability in addition to being a refined ride. Granted it is no defender 90, but I think it would get me to my favorite shady spot down along the river!

I would love an LR3, but just don't feel right spending 50k on any car.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    person by any stretch of the imagination, but the interior of the LR2 is beautiful! I can't wait to see what it looks like in other colors (other than the yellowish puke color in the LR site).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• yaya4yaya4 Member Posts: 4
    I know pictures have been posted and a lot of info is already on the thread i just thought i would add my 2 cents. Aside from this awesome new car, they have hired Maria Sharapova to be their spokesperson for the release of the car as well. I think the car will sell itself but no problem adding a super athlete to its marketing tactics.

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Company/News/Corporate_news/Maria_Sharapova.ht- m
    Any additional scoop you can provide on the LR2 would be much appreciated. I am very curious to see this car in person. Do you know if it will be on the fall auto show circuit?
    It will launch at the British Auto show in July and the european launch will be sometime after that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Land Rover brings some pre-production models to the larger North American Auto shows. I am pretty sure they have already set up a large event for Land Rover retailers in October/November sometime.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Maria Sharapova in more commercials, but I doubt it will have an impact on sales of the LR2.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The British Auto show starts tomorrow err today err well it starts in six hours according to the website.

http://www.britishmotorshow.co.uk/

I am not sure when the LR2 is being shown but it will be sometime this week.
    According to this article.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116159#2

The LR2 is going to be priced around 15% below the LR3 which means it should start around $33,000 to $34,000
    BR - Anymore updates on the LR2? I looking forward to seeing one in real life at the seattle autoshow. :shades:
    Nothing yet. We have gotten the intro brochures that were already scanned into the web but that is it.

Sometime in October we are supposed to get some hands on training with some pre-production models.
    Thanks BR, keep us up to date. I can't wait to see one in person, and see some hard data on prices.
  • nickelpetenickelpete Member Posts: 21
    Last week I saw a cable TV MotorWeek "Car Keys" segment on the new LR2. I recorded it and watched it several times (its only 3 or 4 minutes long) because (a) I am starved for info on this car and (b) because I couldn't believe my ears.

Right at the end they said, "expect it showrooms next Spring starting at about $27,000". I was floored. All I have been hearing for more than a month is "$36K+". (Must have been a verbal typo.)

Thought you'd like to hear.
    Can't stay to chat.
    Got to run.
    The other day I had my monthly convo with our regional Service rep.

He didn't have any information on pricing yet but I kind of expected that.

What he did tell me is that the LR2 is expected to be in the US around March of 2007. The factory is building pre-production models right now that will be involved in the final testing stages.

In October some of these pre-production models will be coming to the US for additional testing and training. Salesguides and techs will go to some training days to learn more about the vehicles.

Our service rep is in line to get a LR2 for real world mileage testing because of the 4,000-5,000 miles he drives a month. He can cram a year of real world driving into only four months. Next month or the month after I should be able to get some real seat time in the LR2 and if my service rep gets a car I should be able to get some pictures and maybe some video.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    They are a very nice looking vehicle. It's to bad the engine bay has dogs instead of horses. :(

Rocky
    Dogs???

The I-6 in the LR2 is basicly straight out of the S80 which is a smooth driving great car. That motor has great mid-range torque and pulls smoothly.

It is all set up for turbos at sometime in the future if Land Rover chooses to do that although that is unlikley.

Look at the competitors...

X3 Horsepower 225-hp @ 5,900 rpm
    Torque 214 lbs.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm

CX-7 Horsepower 244-hp @ 5,000 rpm
    Torque 258 lbs.-ft. @ 2,500 rpm

RDX Horsepower 240-hp @ 6,000 rpm
    Torque 260 lbs.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm

LR2 Horsepower 234-hp not sure at what RPM yet
    Torque 234 lbs.-ft not sure at what RPM yet

Trounces the X3 for thousands less..

Not quiet as much as the RDX and CX-7 but the power should be more linear without the turbos and the gas mileage should be better as well.

The CX-7 will be a lot cheaper but it won't have nearly as much standard equipment and probably won't be as nice in side.
    2007 X3 has 260-hp...

But, I agree.. It is a nice package and competitively priced...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oohh didn't know that. I had heard they were gonna bump it up but had not seen how much they were going to do it by.

Hmhh that makes things more interesting. The X3 is still way overpriced and ugly though.
    The engine is the same one that is in the '06 330i... Possible small differences in stats, due to tuning/exhaust routing, etc..

The X3 is a lot more competitively priced if you take leasing into account... If Land Rover has aggressive lease deals similar to what they had on the Freelander, they'll be fine... but, if they don't.. I don't know..

The "small" SUV market is a tough one to handicap..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Uhh yeah Land Rover does not do agressive leases. That is actually something else I talked to Bill, the service rep, about. LRCG(Land Rover Capital Group) is going to have to step it up and offer some competitive leases on Land Rovers in general.

I am so tired of trying to explain to someone why a 65,000 dollar Range Rover Sport leases at over 1,200 dollars a month and a 7 series that costs 10,000 dollars more leases for around a grand a month.