Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Ford Fusion

bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
edited March 2014 in Ford
I am trying ot make a final decision between the FORD FUSION and HONDA ACCORD.
My requirements are:
Manual transmission
Leather
MPG
Total cost of ownership.

Any insight welcome, current drivers of either are especially welcome!

Comments

• mattnday1mattnday1 Member Posts: 4
    FUSION gas mileage is better on the automatic than the manual- loaded SEL

Big discounts on FUSION after FORD down payment match and $500 rebate or low apr financing. currently 0/.9/2.9 for 36/48/60

Sticker on your desired car in 4 cylinder is under $22000 and an be purchase for around 17500 if you work at a deal.

Honda Accord EX with similar features is at minimum $3000 moe expensive.

Although the Ford wont resale as high down the road it will compare favorable if you get compare resale values based on purchase price paid.

Example

Honda Accord EX - MSRP $25000 - OTD purcahse price - ~25000 - Monthly Payment at 6% assuming $2500 down - $435/month - ~value after 36 months and 45000 miles - $13000 - Cost per mile without maintenance - .26 cents per mile

FORD FUSION - MSRP - $21350 - OTD purchase price with rebates - no financing incentive - ~19500(assumes discount of $2000 - it can be had cheaper)Mothly Pamentwith $2500 down ~338 - ~value after 36 months and 45000 miles - ~9000 - Cost per mile without maintenance .23 cents per mile

For me I turn my cars every 3-4 years and I thing the fusion is more stylish then the accord and has a lower cost of ownership short term than the accord. However, if you are the type of person to keep a car long term - 6+ years you will recoup the additional money you spent on the accord in maintenance savings and resale value assuming the FUSION has a similar maintenace record as past fords.

I just bought a fusion and love it. The engine is supposed to go 150000 without a tune up. I think they are building all cars better today. If the prices were the same I would choose Honda. However, I always buy based on value and the FUSION in my opinion is a much better value at this point.
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Wow, thorough answer!
    It sounds like you have done the same research I am doing.

The two models I am looking at are Ford Fusion SEL I4 5sp with moon roof, safety and security package and anti lock braking and Honda Accord EX V6 6 sp w/leather. Already the 2 are not really a straight comparison since the Honda dealer does not have the I4 with stick to test.

I am test driving both in a couple of days. A lot will ride on trade-in offered for my current vehicle in terms of who I go with.

If the Ford does not have a 'deal-breaker' it will be very hard to argue with the $$ savings.

I also need to consider, if it is the Ford I will probably trade in 2-3 years. If it is the Honda, I would expect to keep it for 5+ years.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    What are you talking about? NOBODY pays sticker for an Accord. NOBODY. Go check the prices paid forum for the Accord. People are paying, at a minimum, invoice, and sometimes lower. You can play on at least a few thousand off on MSRP.

I was looking at an Accord EX V6, MSRP of $27800, it would have cost me 24500. No rebate, but dealers are selling at invoice and in some cases giving you holdback.

I'm not arguing either way, I would just encourage the OP to not just assume the Accord costs quite a bit more, you may be quite surprised. Having never bought anything but GM, I was shocked to find out that an Impala loaded up the same way as the Accord I was looking it, even with rebates for the Impala, cost more than the Accord. I was shocked, actually.
    This may not be the right spot for prices paid etc. but the offer from the Honda dealer was $24,999, this is approx $5k more than the Ford plus Ford has the one-to-one cash incentive and $500 'bonus' money (don't get that, just take it off the sticker Ford).

I get X-plan pricing for the Ford through work and the Honda dealer is a 'one simple price' type place. Of course, my trade-in does not have 'one simple price' so we'll have something to negotiate.

I am 50/50 right now between the 2. Honda is a nicer package but I'll pay for it. Ford looks great and I won't see as many of them out on the road.

For the sake of comparison I should also mention that I do around 30k miles per year, reliability and cost to repair/ maintain is important.
    I misunderstood the situation when I posted that. You aren't comparing the same car. A better comparision would have been the Fusion SEL V6.

Obviously, a car with a 4 cyl, no leather, is going to cost a lot less...
  • indyfanindyfan Member Posts: 22
    I have a 05 4cyl Accord, leather, automatic...gets fine mileage, wouldn't trade it for anything.
    No stick with the V6 unfortunately.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I do around 30k miles per year

With that kind of mileage I would definitely buy the Accord over the Fusion. Accord has a legacy of taking the miles with minimal maintenance. Fusion is a new model with a zero track record. You're gonna take a chance buying the Fusion and hoping it takes the miles well, when you KNOW the Accord will.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have 160,000 miles on my Accord with which to back up leadfoot's statement. I have a new 06 Accord that sits as often as its driven, because I take my old 96 half the time, as it still drives great, and has only needed two repairs in nearly 11 years of ownership; the brake master cylinder went out last week, and the main cooling fan motor gave out two years ago. Only $613 for 160,000 miles is nothing to scoff at, IMO. Get the Honda if you like those numbers.
    Test drive for both vehicles is tomorrow, I look forward to giving feedback.

It is hard to argue with the Honda reputation for reliability.
    I would not be surprised if the Fusion surpasses the Honda in the "fun to drive" department, but the shifter in the Honda will likely be better, and no doubt the V-6 Accord will blow the I-4 out of the water. Any idea on which one you are testing first?
    Accord is 9.30, Ford is 1pm.

I have just finished reading the Edmunds comparison between '07 Camry, Accord, Sonata and Fusion. I can't see a Sonata (snobbish maybe but that's the way it is) but it looks like the Camry is worth a second look. I had dismissed it as boring.
    Well, if you are looking to get a V-6 manual, the Accord is still the only way to go. Good luck finding a Camry manual (I don't know if there are many out there or not). There is no Camry SE (the only sporty-handling model) with a manual, not even in 4-cyl form.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    Fusion just got a weak crash safety rating from IIHS.
    See the following quote from March '06 test results.

"New Fusion isn't up to par with midsize competitors: The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan is among only two current midsize car designs (the other is the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring) that don't earn the highest rating of good in the Institute's frontal offset crash test. The Fusion without optional side airbags is rated poor for side crash protection, and it earned a marginal rating for rear crash protection.

"The Fusion is a disappointment because it's a brand new design," Lund says. "Ford has done a good job with some other recent models, but the Fusion is at the back of the pack among midsize cars for overall safety performance." In Fusions manufactured after January, Ford added a structure below the accelerator pedal designed to reduce injury risk to the right leg and foot in frontal offset crashes.

"This fix didn't work in our test," Lund says. "Forces recorded on the dummy's right leg were high, and a metal pin broke in the dummy's ankle. Ford is doing more research to find a solution and has indicated it will ask the Institute to retest the Fusion for frontal crash performance later this year."

The Fusion earned the lowest rating of poor in the side impact test. Without side airbags, injury measures recorded on the driver dummy indicated that serious head injuries would be possible in a real-world crash of similar severity. Measures from other parts of the dummy indicated that rib fractures or internal organ injuries and a fractured pelvis also would be likely.

"The side structure of the Fusion held up reasonably well in the crash test, and this car's structural rating of acceptable is better than some other midsize models we've tested," Lund points out. Protection in the rear seat was reasonably good. The head of the dummy in the rear seat struck the pillar behind the rear door. This area is required by federal standard to provide some protection for an occupant's head, but the Fusion is rated poor overall because of high forces recorded on the driver dummy's head, pelvis, and torso.

The Fusion's side airbags aren't standard equipment, and the Institute's policy is to test vehicles without these airbags if they're optional. Manufacturers who want a second test with side airbags have to reimburse the Institute for the cost of the vehicle. Initially, Ford didn't request a second test of the Fusion with optional side airbags.

"Usually when an automaker doesn't ask for the optional test, we presume it means the side airbags wouldn't help much to improve the car's rating," explains Lund. "But now Ford has requested a second test, so the Fusion with side airbags may earn a better rating than poor. We'll conduct the test and report the result."
    I would expect to order the model with side air bags but the article certainly is not 'glowing'.
    The Edmunds comparison referred to earlier that put Toyota #1 included the Fusion, Accord, Camry and Sonata. Ford came 4th. It's not looking good for the home team.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Failed to mention, the Accord and the Camry without side air bags also did not do well in tests.. :shades:
    :) Just compare apples to apples as best as you can. I have and the Fusion is a great vehicle. Perception and stigma are what drive most folks buying decisions. Hands down the Accord will cost you $3-5K more for any like optioned model. This is not a secret, its part of Fords plan to get itself back into the family sedan market. The question is is the extra $$$ worth it to you? In my region, Honda dealerships don't deal. You pay what they want or see ya..
    Car comparisons.. get what you feel comfortable with and confident with, not what everyone else is buying. This is a great country where we can decide for ourselves!.. Let us know what you get.. :)
    Check out the Honda "Prices Paid" forums, scape. You'll see that most people are getting invoice or LOWER...

Honda dealers, apparently everywhere but the ones you tried, ARE dealing on Accords. $24,000 for a loaded EX-V6 (minus NAVI) isn't bad at all when you consider all that the car offers.
    Failed to mention, the Accord and the Camry without side air bags also did not do well in tests..

Um, scape, I'm surpsirsed you haven't done your homework on this one. All Accords come with Dual Front, Side, and Head Curtain Airbags standard. They even do this on their cheap-o models, the $13k Fit and $15k Civic. They aren't an option, you buy a Honda, you get side and curtain airbags and ABS by default.
  • bokonon1bokonon1 Member Posts: 10
    If the Fusion was tested with the same equipment as the Accord, it is pretty clear that its crash test results would have been equivalent. Ford made a foolish (or overconfident) decision to submit a de-optioned car without the side impact airbags -- and got worse results. That was predictible.

FYI -- Ford is making the side impact airbags standard equipment instead of an option, and it has also asked the IIHS to re-test the car with these.

I find the right leg results disappointing -- although the car had earlier received good offset crash ratings from the NHTSA tests.

In fact, let's use the NHTSA results as an additional point of information for comparing the Fusion to the Accord.

Specifically, the NHTSA crash results for the Fusion were about on par with the competition (i.e., the Accord and Camry) and a touch behind the 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The impressive thing from the test photos was the integrity of the Fusion's passenger compartment. The Fusion did slightly better than the Accord in rear impacts (if I remember correctly).

From checking the Fusion out in person, the car seems to have substantial reinforcement in the doors. And the doors/sills themselves are very thick -- for side impact protection. There is also a lot of steel reinforcement around the "B" pillars, in sort of a belt running around the car (which I believe is something Volvo started). It seemed well done.

So -- the bottom line is that the Ford is NOT a deathtrap. It just needs the side-impact airbags to be competitive with the Accord -- which already has them standard.

I am currently on the fence between purchasing a Fusion or an Accord -- I go back and forth -- but I feel comfortable that the safety of the two cars is equivalent.

Cheers!

-- Bokonon
    Okay, here's how it went down.

Test drove the EX-L v6 6m (please, more acronyms) and enjoyed the experience so much that I never made it to the Ford dealership. Now the proud owner of a graphite, 6-sp, leather, XM-radio, dual-climate $24,100 (not inc tt&l) 2006 Accord. I feel like I'm undercover- the exterior is plain and conservative, but with the stick-shift and 244 horses this baby MOVES!

Deal was sealed by:
    Honda reputation for reliability and build quality(as mentioned previously I do around 30k miles)
    V6 engine with manual vs I4 from Ford.
    Tried and tested mechanics- Ford is a brand new iteration, give them a couple of years.
    XFm satelitte, again doing 30k miles you need some variety, I am driving out in the country where it is hard to pick up strong FM stations.
    Resale stronger.
    I have worked with the dealership group on my previous car, no unpleasant dealership surprises (are any dealership surprises pleasant??)
    Dual climate is a nice standard touch.
    Did not have to add a single upgrade (I know some would argue that the -L part of the EX-L is an upgrade).

Anyway, I still think the Fusion is a great looking car and hope that Ford (homegrown) will give it the touches that will cause me to make a different decision in a couple of years. :shades:
    Can't argue with your choice. I shopped a Mercury Milan Premier, which was equpped just about the same as the Accord EX V6, and the Milan ended up being over $1k more, and that was before the $750 factory to dealer money. At the high 23-to low 25 pricepoint, Accord EX V6 becomes a very, very hard package to beat. Its undercutting a similary equipped Camry by literally 4-5 grand, and its even under the Impala LT3/LTZ, Altima V6, etc. You'd expect it to be more.

I really shouldn't buy right now, but its got me interested...
  • econoboxjockeyeconoboxjockey Member Posts: 17
    Congrats on getting the Double Six. Mine's Tafetta White with the Ivory interior. link title

Agree with the comments about the undercover car. Nothing to see here, folks, just another boring family sedan...but hey, since you're looking, check out the LED taillights!

Have to agree with your logic about the Fusion. My last car was a Focus, also crafted in Hermosillo, that was made early in the model's second year, and I was dissatisfied with the long-term experience. Two recalls, warped rotors at 30K, oil and transmission leaks, and a resale value of around 30% of purchase price after five years of ownership. I hope the Fusion has better quality than that, but with $20K plus on the line, I wasn't going to bank on it.

Fully loaded, Honda reliability, room for four adults, smooth V6 power, and a six-speed manual you can't get on Fusion, Camry, or Mazda 6...I thought this was the best $25K car on the market when I got it in February, it's an even better buy at $24K now.
    Purchased a Fusion SEL V6 with all options available. Got the opportunity to park the Fusion side by side to a Camry and an Accord. The interior is not as subpar as some let on. But when you look at the $2-$3K price difference?? in a like optioned Accord.. Fit/finish quality between the two cars was really a toss-up. Door panels, trunk hood, fenders, lights, ect all fit very nice on the Fusion and the Accord. If you are in the market for a family sedan, the Fusion deserves at least a test drive and a serious look. Really, compare apples to apples, option for option, the Fusion is hands downt a better value. I paid about $23.5K for a fully loaded Fusion SEL V6 all options, plus got 0% financing! ;)
    That's great, and congratulations on the new ride...I really like the style of the Fusion. The difference in price isn't quite the $2k-$3k that you say, though, b/c EX-V6 Accords are going for in the $24k-$25k range going by what the prices paid forums are saying. Only a $500-$2,000 difference at the most.

Overall though, there is no wrong decision with ANY of these choices...and I think you got the most stylish out of all of them (including my own). Congrats on the purchase!
    Scape2,
    Congratulations. I will be interested to hear how the driving experience is. Doesn't surprise me that the hype about fit & finish was not wholly accurate. Some reviews said it was the tightest Ford ever, some complained about the roughness.
    I will say that the stick in the v6 Accord is FUN to drive! It is a whole new experience to enjoy my commute again.
    I agree, having a manual with the V6 would be a blast. I however commute about 20miles and all that clutch in/out action would hurt after a while. I guess if your commute is low traffic a manual would work however. I have to admit I was surpised as all He... the Ford sales guy was so willing to go to the Honda and Toyota lot. This in itself took some serious confidence in the product. I am not claiming the Fusion as top dog in this class of vehicle. I have to say, it is an alternative. After test driving the Fusion, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Altima, Malibu/Imapala, Mazda 6, Jetta. My two choices were either the Jetta or Fusion. I wanted different is all this time around. I was set on the Jetta. I have to admit the reliability past was a thorn in my side. My Fords have all been fine. Then the 0.0% financing letter came in the mail and that sealed the choice.
    Much better decision on the Fusion vs. the Jetta IMO...so much more car for the money with Ford, and very likely that it'll last you a lot longer and cost you a lot less. Plus, your 221 hp Fusion gets similar mileage (1MPG apart) than the 150 hp Jetta!
  • aznmaskaznmask Member Posts: 21
    for the car's vaule for got honda.. czu after couple yr if u dont like the car u can trade in and it still work 10K+.. but for Ford i dont think so.
    Ok, I have now found two places on the internet posting the Fusion V6 as actually quicker than an Accord V6 automatic.. I sure wonder why this is? Granted its .3 seconds.. but hey, its quicker. After all the Fusion has what 15 less HP? Its gotta make you ask why? How? Why other places are posting the Accord as quicker?
    Many reputable car magazines/testers have found results to reflect otherwise. I don't have an issue of CR handy, but in the last issue of Car and Driver as well as Motor Trend, the Accord handily outacclerated the Fusion (as it should given the 23 horsepower difference).

You can't always believe what you read on the internet. I've never seen a side-by side test where the Fusion beat the Accord in acceleration.

None of the V-6 sedans in the midsize field are underpowered, so I don't think anyone would be disappointed by lack of acceleration in either of the cars.
    Ok, these sites are pretty reputable. (I cannot post them per Edmunds rules) that do show the Fusion besting the Accord V6 automatic.. So, who do you believe? what do you want to believe?
    You claim, "handily outacclerated the Fusion (as it should given the 23 horsepower difference)." Yet MotorTrend, the difference was .6 seconds. Not handily in my book. If it were 2 seconds I would say sure, handily..
    Road conditions, climate, altitude do make a difference in testing. Don't forget, the sites I mention, the Fusion only beats the Accord by .3 seconds. That is 3 tenths of a second.. not enough for the human mind to even comprehend.. Besides, like you said, Most V6's in the class will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds. Plenty fast for what is supposed to be a "family sedan".. cheers...
  • cookstercookster Member Posts: 10
    I currently drive a 2004 Accord LX 4-cyl auto sedan. I rented a Ford Fusion SE 4-cyl auto for a few days while my Accord was in the body shop. The biggest difference between these two cars in my opinion is the engine. The Accord is smooth as silk and has lots of bottom end torque.
    The Fusion is rough and buzzy and really needs to be revved to get going. The fit and finish of the Fusion is OK albeit for some cheap plastics in the interior, but is not on par with the Accord. The Fusion felt a bit sportier than my Accord with somewhat more responsive cornering. However its wide turning circle is noticable especially when parking.
    Overall the Accord feels like a more solid, better screwed together machine.
    I would image the Fusion would be a much nicer car with V-6 to smooth things out. Cosidering what the dealers are discounting the Fusion for now, it can undercut the Accord by a sizable price margin. I suppose if one is buying on price alone the Fusion is worth considering, but it really is not in the same league as the Accord.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Why does this not surprise me?? from a Honda owner of course..

Fact is the Fusion has won multiple awards for its fit/finish of the interior by the way.. Once again pure perception. I guess when the media beats it into some folks heads enough they believe.... ;) I had the opportunity to park an SEL V6 Fusion right beside an Accord EX V6, AND a Camry LE V6.. Believe me its pure perception.. :P
    Believe me its pure perception..

Yep, it sure is. I perceive the tactile quality of the interior or my Accord to be better than that of the Fusion I sat in, and I perceive the exterior styling of the Fusion to be pretty radical in a good way.

Ya see, perception IS reality for a car owner. If 350,000 people claim the Aztek to be a beautiful car, that's their perception, but it's not necessarily mine. It doesn't make them wrong.
  • dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    3500 miles and 13.9 mpg per computer. This car is NOT FOR NY CITY DRIVING! And with hot weather and A/C on, just got 10mpg on last fillup.

This tin can car is a P-O-S!

A Bentley gets 10 mpg. A Honda Accord averages 30 mpg.

What is the lemon law on returning cars with BELOW avg mpg??
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I really have to question your post. I doubt if any vehicle, if it is stuck in NYC gridlock traffic idling or creeping along most of the time, will get very good mileage. Perhaps a hybrid which shuts down completely at every stop and runs on battery only when creeping along will do OK. Honda Accord will not get 30 MPG in heavy stop and go city driving. No conventional IC only engined vehicle will do very well under these conditions.

All cars when sitting idling in traffic will get exactly zero mpg.

Have you tried any purely highway driving to see if you get into the high 20's?

Also, have you ever checked your mileage the old fashioned way, filling up your tank and dividing miles driven by gallons used?
    NYC doesn't just mean gridlocked traffic, you're thinking only Manhattan. I drive in Manhattan plus 4 other boroughs plus NJ plus Long Island, a mix of traffic conditions, highways, turnpikes, parkways.

I'm also comparing this gas hog to the 1996, 1999 and 2003 Sables I've had, all driven the same way. None did this poorly.

Yes, I figure mpg old way and just got 10 mpg on last fillup.

I guess the Milan gas guzzler doesn't do well in summer with A/C on. :(
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I think you Carbon Based Interface needs to be upgraded to a new model with more memroy and a faster CPU.
    Why don't you just get rid of the Milan? Trade it now while you can still get decent money for it. You call it a POS for one reason only, the MPG? The car runs fine right? no transmission issues like on Camry and Accords right? Trade it in, let it go and move on... :shades:
    Again, it is a LEASE.

The Milan Premier V POS is supposed to be the replacement car for the Sable. How many Sables have you owned or leased? I've had three and the Milan POS is a VERY poor replacement on MPG, on quality, to be seen on reliability, yet more expensive. And all the Sables I've had were also fully loaded.

Someone like yourself, who lives in the Pacific NW, really doesn't have a clue about pot holes and poor street conditions, yet alone city or crowded suburbs. A bump on the road for you might be driving over a cigarette butt someone threw out their car window.

What other Mercury cars have you owned that you find the Wal-Mart material quality of the Milan POS so impressive? :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's just call it the Milan. We hear your opinion of it loud and clear! :-)
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "Fact is the Fusion has won multiple awards for its fit/finish of the interior by the way.."

what awards? this car is not a standout (positive or negative) when it comes to fit and finish by the way.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Fact is the Fusion has won multiple awards for its fit/finish of the interior by the way

Who did the Fusion win these awards from?

Ok, I have now found two places on the internet posting the Fusion V6 as actually quicker than an Accord V6 automatic. I had to humilate a guy in his new Accord EX the other day in my Fusion SEL V6...

Since you like to brag about how you out accelerate I4 Accords, I wish you would pull that Fusion up next to me, at a stoplight one day.
    "Fact is the Fusion has won multiple awards for its fit/finish of the interior by the way"

You really need to get those Honda blinders off someday..

Stratigic Visions gave the Fusion the best interior award..
    JD Powers has given the Fusion the most appealing sedan in this segment..

Want more??

If you don't want to be embarrassed, don't try to race a V6 Fusion with a 4cyl automatic Accord.. You will be sorry, very sorry... a 5spd, you may do a bit better.. Time to come to grips bud... Granted a V6 Accord manual will beat a V6 automatic Fusion, no doubt. By about a full second.. wow! one second!! Yes there are other reviews/car sites that show the Fusion to actually be .2 seconds quicker than an Accord v6 Automatic. Please, we are talking tenths of a second difference here, can you count to tenths of a second?
    Come to grips, Ford has built a sedan than CAN and does match the Accord.. it was only a matter of time. Heck, even the Sonata or Altima do the same thing. Its just that the writers and media take the easy road and write what the masses want to hear..
    Come to grips, Ford has built a sedan than CAN and does match the Accord..

Like you said, it's all perception. You perceive the Fusion to be better, and I have no doubt that for you, it's the better car. For me, it doesn't come close to matching the Accord. Perception is reality for the car buyer. It's time that buyers from both camps realize that. The interior of the Fusion was it's biggest turnoff to me, mainly it's ergonomics and 90s dashboard (green instruments that are almost identical to my 1996 LX Accord). One man's trash is another's treasure, though. I know many people think I'm a nut for paying $21k for an EX Accord with no V6, when I could've had a V6 Sonata for $18-19k. I shopped for months however, and it was the best car for ME!

scape isnt really wrong, and neither are the Accord folks, that's my point.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Its just that the writers and media take the easy road and write what the masses want to hear..

The writers and media say the Accord is the best. Why? Because it is true. The Accord engine is smoother, more powerful, and on top of that gets better gas mileage.

Most of the media picks the Accord as the top sedan each year. And year after year, they are proven right.

The Accord name has been around for a long time, because it is associated with quality and reliability. Why do Ford and Chevy keep changing the names of their cars? It's because their previous models were nothing to be proud of. How long will the "Fusion" name be used? (Probably less than 10 years). Ford had a reputation with the Taurus, and what did they do with it? they made very few improvements over the years, and Toyota and Honda technology flew past it, while it stood still. Now they have to play catch-up. This will not happen overnight, if at all.
    Engine is smoother per whom? more powerful? How? by .6 seconds? from 0-60? Check around the net there are even reviews that have the Fursion SEL V6 best an Accord V6 automatic by .2 seconds.. Surprise!.. Gets better MPG? Which one V6's? My V6 averages up to 27.4 MPG and I only have 3,700 miles on my car. Its not even broken in yet..

Pure Perception. Think out of your Honda box once in a while..

Get out open your eyes. There are plenty of peeved of Honda owners out her on the internet in other chat rooms and car sites.

I never said the Fusion was "better" than the Accord. I am however confident it is on par and equal to the Accord. Plus.. with the over $1500 I saved in NOT buying a like optioned Accord.. The wife and I are now booking a cruise to the carribean.. :shades:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As has been noted elsewhere, "perception" is the key to one's choice. Your perception is crucial to you, obviously, but by the same token, others' perceptions are crucial to them.

There is no reason to expect that your perception should dictate joe blow's perception - and vice versa.

;)
    Engine is smoother per whom?

Generally, my idea of "smoothness" comes from the lack of multiple different sound frequencies at idle (think of an electric motor's hum as being the ultimate "smooth", while an old diesel truck would be the opposite end of the spectrum with it's clicking and clacking clatter).

Also relating to smoothness are things like exhaust quality at higher RPMs too, thrashiness coming from the transmission/engine combo (as seen in some GM I-4 engines), or vibration coming through into the cabin.

That's how I perceive and measure smoothness.
This discussion has been closed.