Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Ford Fusion

Comments

• stevesjcstevesjc Member Posts: 18
    Accord does not outsell Fusion 4 to 1. It doesn't even outsell the Fusion 3 to 1. Please check your 2006 CYTD sales figures again.

With decades of history and all the glowing press about it you'd expect the Accord to outsell the Fusion 4 to 1 but its not even close. If Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, etc. are all correct then it could be the Fusion outselling the Accord one of these days...unless people chose more expensive, less reliable, and less appealing vehicles.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    This car is more comfortable, has a smoother ride, has better ergonomics, out handles, out performs, and IMO looks better than any Fusion I've seen. And my opinion is the only one that matters, since it was MY money.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    And my opinion is the only one that matters, since it was MY money.

And the Fusion owners can make the exact same argument and you'd both be right. So why do we keep going there again and again and again?
    Agreed. Since to each of us, it was OUR money, it is only OUR individual opinions that matter. It is my opinion that the car in that picture is fugly (I'm literally getting sick looking at it). Also, my car is way more comfortable for my 6'5" frame than the Accord or Camry (sat in both before buying the Fusion) and has better ergonomics and handling. My Fusion has always performed mighty well when I've asked it to. Never have I thought it was underpowered (and I sometimes drive very aggressively).

Speaking of performance, who was the first to have a 6-speed auto in this class?
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    Read LED tails a thing of beauty on the Accord, large chrome exhause finishers give the V6 a really sporty look. The angled reverse lights beside the license plate gives the trunk lid a nice look as well as the third brake light.

Ricey looking altezza style tails, trunk lid is bland, 3rd brake light is your average ho hum version, exhausts are not nearly as defined/finished.

I guess some might see better styling in the Fusion? :confuse:

Personally I can see much greater attention to details on the Accord styling/design and stuffs that indicates less cost cutting (like the 3rd brake light in the trunk lid and the reverse lights, more parts, more wiring required).
    Didn't you say it is our individual tastes that matter since it is our individual dollars being spent? The LED tail lights on ANY car are hideous to me. I mean, down right hideous (including the Milan). The chrome around the exhaust on the Accord is also there on the SEL V6 Fusion and the cut-outs in the rear bumper for the tail pipes is much nicer in the Fusion. Trunk lids? Are you serious? The Fusion's trunk lid is far less boring than the Accord. Plus, the (fake) chrome around the lights on the Fusion is much more attractive than the bland Accord.

Some might find the Fusion more stylish? J.D. Power surveys show LOTS of people do...

Who won the APEAL award for this class in 2006? Hint: it wasn't the Accord.
    Funny how every comparison test done (not sponsored by Ford) by every magazine, agrees with me. The only people who agree with your opinion, are Fusion owners, and Ford. And these testers don't just sit in the cars. They actually drive them (for miles not just around the block), and check out the ergonomics, comfort, and how everything comes together to make the best package. But Fusion owners know more about cars, than people who test cars for a living, right?
  • amer79amer79 Member Posts: 2
    Right out of the gate I will tell you that I am in car sales. I know right away that sends chills up some of your spines, but I take pride in my work and the type of sales consultant that I am. I am very fortunate to work for a company that allows me to sell (New) Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Dodge, Hyundai, Acura, Lexus, Chrysler, and Subaru.
    As a consultant I am not there to change the customers mind, my job is to give them all the information on the vehicles of interest and help them make an informed decision on the 2nd biggest purchase of their lives.
    But this Forum is about opinions, and I have a very strong opinion when it comes to the the better car between the Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. I am fortunate to be in a situation where I hear the pros and cons to all three vehicles. I get direct feedback from the customers and I hear what manufactors don't want the public to know. You know little things like the fact that Toyota had more recalls on their vehicles then the total number of vehicles sold last year. You don't hear about that on the nightly news. Or how about this review from a honda customer: "This is by far the worst car I have owned during last 40 years. I would definately put Honda behind all US maufactures in build and quality. Considering the price difference it would be foolish to buy Honda. The transmission lag is most annoying and brakes are soooooo bad." The only pro that this customer could come up with was the resale value. Who wants to drive a car they hate and the only positive thing they can come up with is that they won't loose their [non-permissible content removed] to much when they go to sell it or trade it in.
    I could go on and on about these other two, but I have much more exciting things to talk about. The FORD FUSION!!! The Fusion and I share a similar philosophy in life, "If you got it Flaunt it"! The Fusion lives up to that from the bold attention getting look on the outside all the way through the inside and to the back where you find more trunk space then some manufactors have in their SUV's. Fusion has an aggressive but sleek look that begs for you to come out and play. And once you get behind the wheel you will be looking forward to the commute to work. The Fusion doesn't want the attention of drive bys alone, once you slip inside and find the pampering you expect to find in luxury cars you'll be pinching yourself to see if you are dreaming. The contrast stiching (which resembles a Liz Claiborne purse I own)on the opitonal leather trimmed seats are the first thing you will notice. Then you will find the chrome ringed analog clock, woodgrain or piano black instrument panel, plus other luxuries like audio and temp controls on the steering wheel, heated seats, navagation, and the list goes on and on. These are options that you can get on the SEL package, but the great part about the Fusion is the opitons. There is a Fusion perfect for every buyer. You can get automatic, or maual, it comes in an I-4 or a V6, and the Ford Fusion has an available class-exclusive All-Wheel-Drive system. The best part is that whether you are purchasing an S, Se, or SEL package you won't be sacrificing on appearance, the thrill of driving, and it will lesson your stops at the fuel pump. And when the Fusion out slalomed a Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG on the track, autoweek concluded, "Outstanding might be understating it."
    I can go on and on about why I feel and consumers feel "It's the best looking car in it's class",(edmunds.com)or about it being power-packed, thrilling to drive, and I haven't even touched on the structure and safety you have with the Fusion.
    To me Fusion has no competition. Unfortunately there is a perception gap that domestic manufactures have to overcome.
    No, people who OWN the cars know more than those who test cars for a living. J.D. Power surveys OWNERS of the vehicles themselves and found that the Fusion is more appealing than the Accord.

You have magazines (with paid editors...paid by whom, exactly...) and I have unbiased research. I stand by my claims.
  • amer79amer79 Member Posts: 2
    I have only two response to what you have said. First off you need to recheck your comparison tests and "every magazine". Fusion has blown the others out in comparisons.

And last time I checked consumer reports are usually what most people turn to when looking to buy any large purchase. I want to hear from an actual owner who drives one every day, someone who knows the car inside and out.

As I said before, it's a perception gap.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Again, we are all entitled to our opinions. No one is right and no one is wrong - we have different priorities that lead to each of us to decide what works best for our own needs.

What we are doing here is comparing the attributes we see in each vehicle that matter the most to us. What we do not need to be doing is telling others that their opinions are somehow "wrong" because opinions are neither right nor wrong. They just are.
    We are all sharing our opinions and citing the opinions of others who agree with us. I don't see how this violates the intent of this thread. Nor do I see you slapping the wrists of Accord fans.

Where did I say anyone was "wrong?" All I did was cite opinions that agree with mine, just like Accord fans are doing...
    Wow, this is amazing. Out slalomed a MB, but not an Accord. Power-packed, but the Accord is more powerful. Lessons stops at the fuel pump, but gets worse mileage than an Accord. Please don't touch on safety, because the Fusion comes up short there too.
    Even your screen name shows your bias (amer79). You should at least try to be less obvious. It seems your perception is warped. Not the rest of the world's. I would really like to know which comparison test had the Fusion ahead of the Accord.
    I don't see where anyone said the intent of the thread has been violated. I'm just pointing out to everyone, no matter what vehicle he/she is a fan of, that we're discussing opinions here and that, by definition, means no one is wrong.

Let's bring things down a few notches, please
    Tell that to Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, and the thousands of people they surveyed regarding the Accord and Fusion. The Fusion wins with real owners and the Accord wins with paid editors. I'll take real owners anyday.
    Again, I didn't say anyone was wrong. Someone said people who are paid to test vehicles know more than Fusion owners and I am pointing out that it its owners of both Fusions and Accords that were surveyed by CR and JDP and CR found the Fusion more reliable and JDP found the Fusion more appealing...according to owners.

There is no problem with citing unbiased research that agrees with one's opinion. Therefore, there are no notches to bring it down from.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Opinions are fine. We love 'em. However, once stated and those who agree/disagree have made their comments, what's the point of pursuing the argument? If you don't like one or the other, fine, but insisting others change their opinions isn't going to happen. It's all subjective, and that's that.
    Regarding safety...

According to Consumer Reports, the Fusion has better 60-0 breaking distances and higher maximum avoidance maneuver speeds than the Accord. I'd rather avoid a crash in a 4-star crash tested car than crash a 5-star crash tested one...but that's just my opinion.
    Tell that to Consumer Reports, J.D. Power, and the thousands of people they surveyed regarding the Accord and Fusion.

There's a slight problem... Fusion owners have cars that are at 1-2 years old. Accord owners stretch back many more years... we all know what happens to cars as they age, things are bound to break. Kudos to the Fusion for being relatively trouble free for new owners though - it is a new design and that is a good thing they are winning these awards. It means their satisfaction among new owners are really good.

How a Fusion ages is only a factor that time will tell us. The Accord is at the end of its current model and all the bugs have been unearthed and many resolved. Yet still more crop up like the recent airbag recall on 04-05 Accords. There isn't even an 05 Fusion, so we never know if in a year or two big problems start to appear - they might, they might not.

As for accident avoidance - VSA (electronic stability control) on the Accords have been confirmed by both the IIHS and NHTSA as invaluable in accident avoidance.
    J.D. Power surveys owners of vehicles from the exact same model year. The APEAL award was based on 2006 Accords and 2006 Fusions.

Consumer Reports is open about the Fusion's number being "predicted" reliability. However, they are predicting it based on the problems reported by owners of 2006 Accords vs. 2006 Fusions. Given their history of working with initial quality vs. reliability data and their extenseive analyses of these data, I think they are a pretty good bellweather (sp?).

As to Vehicle Stability Control systems...even with the system on the Accord, it still has slower maximum avoidance maneuver speeds than the Fusion. VSC should help the vehicle maneuver better and at higher speeds to avoid an accident. In the case of the Accord, it doesn't make up for the other ways that the Accord lags behind the Fusion in maneurverability.
    So it is truly a measure of new owner satisfaction then. The Fusion won that, it should for such a brand new design! :)

It is not a useful measure then of true reliability over time.

As for "predicting" reliability, Hyundai has gotten plenty of accolades for new owner satisfaction, but it has also been reported that over time they break and the satisfaction drops dramatically. So much for "predictions".
    APEAL is, yes. It is a more appealing car than the Honda, excuses aside.

Predicted reliability is different from strong initial quality. Your Hyundai example is strong initial quality and I agree this does not always translate into long-term reliability. Consumer Reports didn't say Hyundais would have better long-term reliability than Accords, did they?

Again, paid editors vs. unbiased research...
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Wow - I guess you're right and all the millions of satisfied Accord owners are wrong. You can base your opinion of Fusion's long term reliability on somebody's guesstimate. I'll take Honda's excellence in reality any day over Ford's maybe.

I test drove a Fusion twice. Tried to like it. I walked away snickering about Ford's weak attempt to compete in this class. Items like poor placement of HVAC controls, 1970s style shifter, plasticy interior, no power recline on the driver's seat. All pretty sad compared to an Accord.

And the Fusion will get outdistanced again in 8 months when the new Accord arrives.
    Well, there's the rub. Opinions are neither right nor wrong - they always fit the person who holds them and no one else! ;)
    Its not just me...its also J.D. Power and Consumer Reports (and the thousands of owners of 2006 Fusions and Accords they surveyed). Look, I'm not saying you're "wrong," I'm just saying the most respected organizations in the industry are showing that the Fusion is at least as good as an Accord. Poor placement of HVAC controls? I've had mine for 6 months with no problem at all. 1970's style shifter? I didn't see too many center console shifters in the 1970's. Also, the Fusion's shifter looks better than an Accord's and is hooked up to a 6-speed automatic, not an outdated 5-speed like the Accord. Plasticy interior? No more or less plastic than an Accord. What? Is there real wood trim in your Accord? No power recline on the seat? Like sitting back is that hard to do... :confuse:

Predicted "outdistancing" means nothing compared to unbiased research... :P
    Look at these two interiors, and tell me which one looks better. Do the buttons down behind the shifter in the Fusion look like they would be as easy to reach as in the Accord arrangement? Doesn't look like it to me.
    "(W)hich one looks better" is entirely subjective. This isn't something where we're going to find common ground.

Let's talk about some objective similarities and differences between these vehicles instead of continuing to try to fruitlessly pound our opinions into the heads of those with whom we disagree.
    Agreed.

I find the Fusion's interior FAR more attractive than the Accord's and I have never had trouble reaching my HVAC controls, never.
    In your humble opinion, of course! ;)
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Ford's got the boxy looking, clunky, cheap controls thing going. Just aweful. If they changed that they'd have a chance. But its tough to beat the Accord's aircraft look and feel to its controls, switches and buttons.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    in the picture of the fusion, the 2 most commonly used climate control functions(temp and fan speed) can be adjusted using the redundant controls on the steering wheel.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    In the picture of the Accord, we see a trim level that no Fusion can't come close to matching... an available 6-speed manual transmission that goes 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. A car for the true enthusiast drivers! :D

The Fusion - with only an autobox in V6 trim... can't be considered a car for the true diehard performance enthusiast drivers. :lemon:
    In the Accord you put the A/C on dual auto, and the temp control is the closest knob to you. The passenger can control his/her own temp the same way. That's as easy as it gets.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Ford's got the boxy looking, clunky, cheap controls thing going. Just aweful. If they changed that they'd have a chance. But its tough to beat the Accord's aircraft look and feel to its controls, switches and buttons.

Yea - Ford just can't come close to the level of Honda when it comes to interiors.
    Predicted reliability is different from strong initial quality.

Its basically math. And therein lies the problem... the Duratec 6 in the Fusion isn't a stellar engine. Besides the addition of VVT, its a carryover from the Duratec engines in the 1995-2006 Sable/Taurus. This engine has not proven itself to be rock solid... things happen to them as they approach the 100k miles marker. Even the Vulcan which I had in my Taurus which is considered a more reliable engine than the Duratec 6 had issues. I've read plenty of Duratec woes from Sable/Taurus discussions in my time owning the car. This is something CR I would be isn't looking at in their predictions.

Honda motors OTOH are rock solid... both the K and J engines should easily do the 105k to first scheduled tuneup. I put close to 80k on a new K-series engine before the car got totaled in an accident... never a sign of any problems. The Vulcan I had with only 50k miles when I got the car needed attention pretty quickly. Honda has some of the best engines in the world... everything from lawn mowers, bikes, cars, and now even a jet. That's pretty darn impressive and they had many years in successful F1 racing too. The engine is like the heart of a car.

And I know from first-hand experience that a Honda designed crumple zones/safety structure/airbag combo works!
    that's really funny! an accord 'a car for true enthusiast driver'. i guess if that's the best of someone's experience i can see how they that could feel that way. 80% are 4 cyl models. how many are 6 cyl/6 speed? 2 or 3 percent?
    when i think accord or fusion, i think family sedan.
    They aren't that rare - one of the guys in my development has the Accord V6 6MT (not a coupe, a sedan!) as a daily driver and Corvette sitting in his garage. ;)

You can have a family and still enjoy your drive!
    yeah, there are rare, just like 17 years ago when i had an sho as a daily driver and a mustang gt as a summer car.
    back then, my 1989 sho 3.0 v6 redlined at 7200 rpm.
    current v6 honda still can't match that. :surprise:
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    my 1989 sho 3.0 v6 redlined at 7200 rpm

You realize that was a Yamaha engine....right?
    i still drove it and it was almost 20 years ago. maybe i'm still listed in the 'sho registry'. my point is, it a case of it's been done and not so recently. a ford/honda v6/manual trans is a niche vehicle, not what most buyers purchase.
    i kind of think of the fusion as a possible sho 'lite'.
    a v6/manual trans accord sedan sounds like my kind of niche car! i always have liked vehicles that are just a bit different(sleepers). ;)
    The Fusion is the Fusion. There is no Fusion SHO, Fusion SVT, etc at this point. Honda does have an Accord that is special in the V6 6MT... there is no equal in a Fusion.
    except a mustang which will.., well you know.
    i will admit that the current accord for the most part has exceeded the envelope of a 19 year old performance oriented taurus. :P
    I will admit I would be drooling if Ford would build a limited production version of the Giugiaro Mustang... that is a thing of beauty.
    '09, if the spy pictures are accurate.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    '09 spy shots

I don't know if I see exactly what they are pointing out but you might get the picture.
    The front end would be promising if its the same as the concept (nice effect with the headlights and the hood light an eyelash) - I would hope they'd offer an all glass roof option too, much like the concept and the Porsche 911 targa.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    You can get a current Mustang with the panoramic roof right now from a dealer (doesn't open and installed by a 3rd party). I saw one when shopping for mine. It wasn't my cup of tea plus they wanted $10k over sticker for the option.
    what do think the chances are of ford releasing a retro fusion that looks like an original taurus? of course that is a joke. :)
    Why are you talking about the Mustang? I don't remember seeing Mustang in the thread title. Oh, I guess you can't talk about the Fusion, and performance, at the same time, because the Fusion doesn't have much. :sick:
    i don't consider accord and performance at the same time.
    my guess is most others don't either, although some do.
This discussion has been closed.