Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mlot51mlot51 Member Posts: 8
    Replying to: rcolbourn (Jun 22, 2006 10:58 am)
    Radio Static- I have the non-JBL 6cd changer and have experienced the same static or "popping" on the radio. Others posting on the internet have this too, so we are not alone. Dont let the dealer tell you it is normal. It is not. My dealer agreed it wasnt normal and replaced the radio with a new one. No Luck-still static popping. It only happens when the car is moving, so Im guessing some sort of electrical interferance. Dealer has no idea, but said he has seen this in other Toyotas as well. Hoping for a TSB.

Bring it back to the dealer and if they insist it is normal, call Toyota directly and complain. If they get enough complaints, we will get a TSB and hopefully a solution.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    there are more and more folks experiencing this...it seems to get worse as the weather warms. There is another site who Edmunds does not want mentioned do to posting rules. Try RAV Rattle google and you will find it and more info. Here is what is known. The rattle will start as a quite tick in the door pillar. Adjusting the seat belt height will not help. As the car hits warmer weather the noise get louder and louder and becomes continuous. Once rough pavement activates it does not go away. It can be quieted a little by pressing on the pillar where the light colored trim meets the dark with your elbow. (I'll be wedging something in there for my 5 hour trip next week!) The noise actually is in both doors. Initially you only hear it in the one your sitting near but over time it becomes loud
    enough for all to hear. Folks have removed all the trim and the noise continues even while the trim is not in place. One person who was at a dealer has not had success in quieting the noise. My car will go into the dealer in about two weeks. I am not optimistic because I think its a metal on metal issue; I do not think plastics are involved. It scares to think that when a dealer removed all the trim that the car still made the noise and the dealer could not correct it. Still, I have to give my dealer a shot. I will not tolerate this though. My Camry was bad enough but at least those ticks were managable for the most part
    by lubricating door seals. This is not. So...over the next few weeks watch for a either a solution to be posted or RAV Rattles forum to start up. I will not let Toyota tell me this is normal...its just too loud. Especially if they do not ALL do it. Of course if they ALL did do it, a solution would likely be more forthcoming!
  • tom98tom98 Member Posts: 2
    After getting an oil change around 3600 miles, the Maint Req light came on. I researched the problem and followed suggested remedies(Turn key to ACC, press ODR button while turning key to OFF, wait a while and then turn key to ACC).
    Maint Req light blinked but stayed on and continues to stay on. Also strange, the mileage on the odometer seemed to increase by 1000 miles.
    What happened???
  • philholtphilholt Member Posts: 4
    I had oil and filter service by Grease Monkey in Longmont, CO, at about 4300 miles while driving X country. Outside of Moab, UT, my MAINT REQD light came on. The manual says to change oil (the manual often is not helpful); my oil looked fine. I crept into Moab much concerned about what was going on and a lady at an independent garage said that that warning comes on at 5000 miles unless cancelled. She looked up the technique and cancelled the light by pressing the ODR button and turning the ignition on and off repeatedly. After several on-offs the alert blinked, a few more and it went out. This zeroed out the a and b ODRs, but didn't effect the permanent ODR, which at that point read 5011 miles. I'm going to check the procedure with a Toyota dealer when I get near one.

I've been driving from Connecticut to Washington state visiting friends and family in GA, CO, and now CA, often driving green-dot scenic routes. I am totally pleased with the performance of my '06 6cyl, 4wd Sport model-- 25 mpg at both 80 mph on the interstates and 50 mph with stop and go on secondaries. The ride is very comfortable, the cabin quiet and cool with 108F outdoor temperatures, the power amazing passing long semis, the cornering on s-curves excellent, the luggage capacity very good. I traded a T100 and a Lexus IS300 for the RAV4, hoping to find a compromise between the two. I am completely satisfied with the result.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    I am intending to buy the Sport V6 also. How do you like the seats after cross country? How tall are you? Any problems with paint chips and windshield cracks?
    Thanks and Enjoy your RAV4.
  • altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    Prior poster's question regarding seats and driver's height prompts me to comment that I find the (power) driver's seat in my Limited does not go back far enough for my liking. I am only 5-10, but find that my leg still has to be bent too much in the seat's most rear position. Anyone else feel the same way?
  • sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    altared,
    I have an LTD too. 5'11", and I could use another inch back, but I'll live. At first I felt a bit close to the steering wheel, so I moved it forward, and the arms are perfect now. I'm fine with the leg room now.
  • ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    My 2006 4x2 V6 Rav 4 also makes the droaning noise you and ofelia are talking about. It is really annoying and happens everytime I drive the car. It is almost constant and I can hear it even while driving on the highway with the radio on. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning and will mention the fuel tank/fuel pump issue to them. I hope they can figure out what is wrong with it because it is really irritating and not at all relaxing to drive the car. Did you take your car in yet to have them check the droaning noise? I also am hearing one of the plastic pieces on the dashboard rattle (it's the gray plastic piece that fits over the red emergency flasher button on the dashboard to be exact). It is also very irritating so for now I have put a couple of plastic tabs in between it andthe piece of plastic next to it which helps to keep it from rattling. I'm afraid to have the dealer try to fix it for fear they might break the plastic piece trying to get it off. Has anyone else experienced the plastic on the dashboard rattling and does anyone have a solution to it? Thanks for any replies!
    Now that you have had your fuel tank and pump replaced has the droaning noise stopped for good? I am curious because I am taking mine to the dealer tomorrow because of the droaning noise. Thanks for any feedback!
    Ihammer
  • tom98tom98 Member Posts: 2
    Just talked to a Toyota Dealer mechanic. Turn the ignition to ON and set odometer to TRIP A. Then turn ignition off. Then press the odometer trip switch in, hold it in and turn ignition to ON without letting go. Dashes will appear in mileage fo;;owed by flashing zeros. Maint Req light goes out. No reason as of yet for increase miles on odometer. Hopefully soon.
  • oxwoodoxwood Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for that additional info. So sounds like a wedge in the pillar trim is a temporary solution. I'll have to try that since I'll be going on a lengthy road trip as well. I will contact the dealership in the upcoming weeks but from what I gathered from your posting it doesn't sound promising. Please let us know how the visit with your dealership went. Thanks, ox
  • folkepalmfolkepalm Member Posts: 4
    I'm 6'4" and have the V6 Sport. The manually operated driver's seat provides more room than the Limited Rav4.
    I just made an 1800 mile trip and had no comfort issues.
    I have not had any windshield cracks and have the 3M clear bra so I don't have any stone chips.
    Good Luck!
  • cjrush5cjrush5 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. This post is dated, have you found the location of the oil filter?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • risarisa Member Posts: 14
    Where did you buy your 3M clear bra? I would like to get one for mine. How much it cost?

Thanks,
    My 2006 Ltd. V6 4x2 RAV4 makes the same droaning noise as has been mentioned by ofelia and silveravin in earlier posts.
    I took it to the dealer yesterday and was able to ride along with a master tech while he checked for the noise. Sure enough the car started making the droaning noise so the tech was able to hear it. After we got back to the dealer's service garage, I left and he checked the car out and could not pinpoint the noise/problem. It was after 5PM and the service writer told me that I could take my car and that the tech would talk to an engineer at Toyota in the morning (6/27/06) about the problem and that the service writer would get back to me today (6/27/06). He called me about 5PM today (6/27/06) and told me that the master tech had talked to Toyota engineering and they have had other complaints re the same droaning noise problem. They are working on determining the cause so that they can create a TSB (technical service bulletin) so that the noise can either be reduced (no thanks!) or eliminated (I would hope so!). I was told to sit tight as there is no ETA for a fix. They are supposed to contact me when Toyota creates a TSB, but also told me to stay in touch with them.
  • jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    I read on Edmunds that Rav4 has ice cold AC. I doubt. I collected my Rav4 Sport 4x4 2.4L this week on Monday. So far I have made 200 miles driving mix highway and off-highway conditions. I am satisfied overall however there is one flaw. AC does not blow cold air but rather mild cool. In a country where I live temperatures reach now around 110F with humidity varying between 60 and 80%. Pleasant for sauna lovers J.
    One could say - yeah 110F and he wants cold AC. Well, my second car is new Camry with the same engine. AC is there really ice cold. Anybody has encountered the same problem? Should I expect more out of my AC?
    jerr
  • risarisa Member Posts: 14
    Same here, A/C is not enough, I don't think it would get ice cold specially here in Texas so hot in summer. Sometimes I wonder if the back passengers would get cold air at all. I only feel mild cool when I pointed the vent air to myself, even if you put it in max A/C. Wonder if A/C is to small for this vehicle?
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    I even have to adjust the AC knob to III (the 2nd largest level) in order to have a cool comfy cabin...;

BTW, my car also starts giving that droning noise on and off. My feel is that it happens when the car gets hot.... Even when the AC is turned off, the humming noise is still there :confuse: . I am reluctant to bring it back to the dealer.
  • ofeliaofelia Member Posts: 10
    I am glad that the droaning noise does exist not just in my imagination and is a problem Toyota has to acknowledge. As I mentioned, they replaced the gas tank/line and somewhat eliminated the noise, but every now and then...I hear something similar to the noise I heard in the beginning but dissapears.

Ofelia
  • ofeliaofelia Member Posts: 10
    I have to put my AC on the highest setting to really get cool. It's been hot here in California lately but even then, I think the AC is not enough. By the way, I posted LCD problems on my stereo, anybody have similar problems?

Ofelia
  • alinlalinl Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem with the LCD. Disappointing for a Ltd car with upgraded sound system. I will go to the dealer soon.
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    The volume knob on my JBL stereo would not turn up or down. I turned off the radio and it turned it back on and it started working again. Anybody have that problem?
    What a coincidence. I had exactly the same problem today. But by simply turning on or off the radio it didn't work in my case. Eventually the volume symbol appearred and started being adjustable again after I touched the tone/balance knob, etc. Man, I was driving at the time. I thought somebody had touched it somehow.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear that you still sometimes hear the noise - even after they replaced your fuel tank/line. I printed out your message regarding your dealer having replaced your fuel tank/line and silveravin's message about experiencing the same droaning noise and gave it to them when I took my car in so they were aware that other people were having the problem and also I wanted to give them a hint about a possible fix. They didn't want to do anything to my car until they hear from Toyota engineers. Hopefully they will figure out what the problem is and come up with a fix for it. In the meanwhile I am glad that I took my car in - I can't live with that noise forever!!.
    Also, I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I called Toyota corporate to inform them of the problem and got a case # from them before I took it to have the dealer look at it. The dealer told me that the service tech who looked at my car also got a case # for my car from Toyota. If you haven't done so I recommend letting Toyota corporate know because the more complaints they get about the problem, the more likely and the sooner they'll address the issue. By the way if your repair takes more than 8 hours you are entitled to a loaner vehicle and some dealers will give you a loaner even if you just have to leave the car for several hours for them to look at it. I got a loaner from my service center while my car was there. The number for Toyota customer relations is (800) 331-4331 and you choose option #6. I'll keep you & silveravin posted!
    Ihammer
  • justflooritjustfloorit Member Posts: 8
    I would hear the droning during hot weather while waiting at stoplights. Sounds like noisy radiator cooling fans to me. :confuse: I usually just drown out the sound with the radio. I'll just have the dealer evaluate the noise during my next oil change for my 06 Sport V6 2WD.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    What has the radio got to do with the subject "Re:AC Efficiency" :confuse:
    It's not the cooling fan. The other day I started my car and heard this humming noise (The car was driven earlier). I openned the hood and saw the fan was still, no motion.
    good catch, boy! Trace to the root, please. ;)
    You're right - it's definitely not the cooling fan. I thought that's what it was the first few times I heard it in my car, but I realized it was something else because it is on too much of the time while I'm driving to be a fan. It's interesting that you mentioned that "the car was driven earlier", because my car doesn't always make the droaning noise the first time I drive it each day. It almost always starts making the noise when I start the car again after making a stop somewhere and then it is pretty much on constantly. I am waiting to hear from Toyota corporate as to what it is and when a fix might be coming.
  • justflooritjustfloorit Member Posts: 8
    You could be right. However, I only hear the droning when stopped or driving slowly/parking. Once my RAV is above 10mph, the noise is gone. BTW, aren't there TWO cooling fans for the radiator. Hopefully my dealer will determine the exact cause of noise and eliminate it.
  • atom164atom164 Member Posts: 10
    I saw your question about windshield cracks... I've had my 06 Rav 4 Limited Edition since January and last Saturday the rear window simply blew out with no explanantion whatsoever. It was sitting in my driveway since the night before. No precipitation in the area nor traffic. other windows were opened about 2 inches to promote air flow. Temperature was around 80. Contacted Toyota :cry: ...nothing yet. I'm thinking questionable workmanship, dimished quality? Any suggestions from anyone?
    I kind of feel the same way like yours and Justfloorit's about when the noise occurs.

I went to my dealership yesterday to have my car serviced for the first 5000 miles. I mentioned the droning noise to the receptionist and he did admit hearing that too. He thinks that's from the fuel pump. After the service, he told me that one of the two technicians who came to my car did hear the humming noise. They therefore checked other cars and they heard the same thing; namely, it's normal. So, to let Toyota know the issue and wait for a "dotting letter(?)" for dealerships is all that what we can do.
    I can't believe they are going to pass the droning noise off as NORMAL! I had a 2004 RAV 4 before I got my 2006 and it never made that noise. In fact none of the other cars that I've had, including Toyotas and Lexus ever made a noise like this either.
    That's interesting that when you took yours to the dealer for the 5000 mile service one of the guys said he thought it was from the fuel pump. There is one other 2006 RAV 4 owner (ofelia) who's car had the noise too and they replaced her fuel pump, but she says she still hears the noise sometimes.
    Today after driving around with the droning noise happening most of the time, I got home and when I put the car in reverse the tone/pitch of the droning noise changed and it changed again when I put it in park. So I shifted back and forth from park to reverse several times and with each gear change the droning noise got higher or lower so I am worried that it may indicate a transmission problem. Ofelia had first thought it was a transmission problem too.
    Anyhow, I am going to continue to frequently call Toyota until we get some action from their engineering department on this because I just can't buy their position that since other cars do it too it's NORMAL! Since other cars do it too, the more likely scenario is that Toyota is going to have a recall issue or at least a Technical Service Bulletin should be issued setting forth the nature of the problem and a fix for it. I have filed a complaint with the National Highway & Transportation Safety Board since I am worried that the noise could indicate a transmission problem or could indicate that some part is wearing out on something because of the almost constant droning noise. Who knows if there is a safety issue involved???
  • jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    Should recirc switch on automatically on Ravs equipped with auto AC? Has anybody experienced it? If so then under what conditions it happens?
    jarek
    Your finding is really significant! Salute!
    I am going to check into it with mine next time when I hear the noise.
    It seems like that the dealership tech easily forgets cancelling the blinking maintenance light after service. I went back and the receptionist did it for me. In case you like to know, the procedure is:
    --Put the odometer at trip A; Then while press the knob turn the car key to ON (but not start the car). He said you will see some light bars floating from one side to the other indicating it's doing something). That's it.
    About: "when I put the car in reverse the tone/pitch of the droning noise changed and it changed again when I put it in park. So I shifted back and forth from park to reverse several times and with each gear change the droning noise got higher or lower"

I tried and didn't really notice a difference. The humming tone remained the same to me. By the way, I hear it while I am in the car and when I step out, I only hear the quiet engine. I was on a market parking lot when I checked this.
    Thanks for the reply. I also don't hear the noise when I get out of the car and try to hear it - only inside the car. As fars as the shifting from park to reverse issue, I should have mentioned that the droning noise doesn't always change when I do that shifting. It did that when the mechanic was checking it while I was with him and has done it a couple of times when I shifted back & forth from park to reverse, but it is not consistent. I guess the inconsistency is part of the reason the mechanic couldn't pinpoint the problem. Anyhow, I'm going to call Toyota corporate again tomorrow to see if I can find out about any progress their engineers might have made toward solving the problem.
  • charles64charles64 Member Posts: 13
    I have been reading the posts about the droning noise with interest. I have a 2006 4wd 4-cyl limited with about 5300 miles. I recently noticed a noise that may not be the same as the droning noise others have reported. When I am in reverse or drive at low speeds, I hear something that sounds more like a grinding noise from the rear (rear wheels?). This noise gets louder when I apply the brakes. The noise seems to go away after a few mins of driving....

Have others experienced this noise?
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Is there a special technique involved with re-covering the Base Rav4 spare tire? I simply cannot get the cover back on around the bottom. I have the elastic positioned correctly on the top and bottom.

Also, any suggestions for a lock? I was thinking about simply placing a locking lug on it.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    This just in from RAV4World.
    zaitcev wrote:
    You cannot just snap it in place, I tried and failed. So the technique I use is simple. Place it upside down and have it grab the top only. Push the bottom over the tyre's thread (it won't go all the way, which is our problem). Then, rotate the cover, taking care that it would not jump free. Once it's the good side up, you can snap it over the tyre completely.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    which way should that indentation be pointing anyway? My wife hates the tire cover but I am at a loss how to jazz it up. Lots of good info on that site.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    I have the hard LTD cover, but mine looks like a boomerang or Stealth bomber with the center pointed toward the upper left. ie: NW or 315 degrees. Should be lots of pix around, too.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Thanks. Tried this today. Seems to work well.
  • rray49rray49 Member Posts: 13
    I too have issues with the RS3200/keyless entry but slightly different. There are times that I do not want the headlights to stay on for 30 seconds but I can't figure out if there is a way to selectively turn that feature off. Does anyone know how?
  • brb972brb972 Member Posts: 7
    Is there a low fuel warning light on this vehicle?
  • rray49rray49 Member Posts: 13
    Yes!
  • brb972brb972 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks!
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Regarding the lights staying on for 30 seconds after you close the door - the word on another forum about this seems to be that if you lock the car with the remote and the lights are still on, you need to press the "lock" button a second time. Supposedly this will turn the lights off immediately vs. leaving them on for the 30 seconds. Don't have my RAV4 yet so can't personally verify.
    Gee, that's a new one - I haven't experienced any kind of grinding noise, just the droning. I hope you get an answer for that issue! Sorry not to be much help.