Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    I will definitely keep you posted re the possible droning noise fix. I'm hoping the dealer calls me sometime this coming week to let me know that the new fuel pump is in so I can take the car in to hopefully get rid of this awful noise! I will let you know if that does the trick - and also if it does not solve the problem. Hopefully it will as I would hate to have this drag on for another 3 months while Toyota goes back to the drawing board.
  • caryscarys Member Posts: 3
    In other cars (like my Maxima) I'm use to resting my foot on the gas pedal and having to press on it to accelerate (duh!). However I can't "rest" my foot on my 2006 RAV4 gas pedal because it provides little resistance and the pedal is too easily depressed. I have to restrain my foot from pushing down on it! Does anyone else have the same problem and is there a way to adjust the tension of the gas pedal?
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    How many RAV4 owners have found the tailgate configuration to be a problem? It seems to me that in close quarters like dropping visiting dignitaries off at the airport, it would be a hassle. Wouldn't the opposite side opening have been better for use in the US? Does the new proposed liftgate configuration for the 2007 CRV give Honda a better setup in this regard? Sorry if this discussion has already been beaten to death. I'm newly interested in purchase of a smaller AWD SUV in 2007, and I haven't previously looked at the CRV or RAV4. Thanks. Ralph
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well it might be a little more convient but it is not built that way so it is a question of how often you load at curb side I guess. For me that would be like 2% of my use so it is not a problem. I also wish the rear window went down for that occassional long item but Mama Toyota said no. I don't see that part of the RAV4 changing anytime soon.
  • lilvallilval Member Posts: 4
    just bought an 06 rav4 and noticed that inside of windshield fogs up on left and right edges. took it back to the dealership's service mgr and he said they've seen the problems w/ cars before and it's due to dashboard needing to cure????? he said it could take up to 6 months to clear. i asked him if it was a problem w/ new rav4s, he said no. so i asked them to replace the dash, he said it wasn't advisable. i told him it only happens when i have the AC on and it takes 2-3 days before it shows up. he said it was film w/ chemicals emitting from the dash. i asked to set up an appt w/ a toyota rep. i think there may be a leak somewhere. anybody out there have any ideas. thanks in advance.. :mad:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Common problem with cars of asian origin but only in cold weather conditions. Are you by chance in the southern hemospere?
  • lilvallilval Member Posts: 4
    i'm in northern cal and it's been hot out here lately. so it's not cold at all. i did notice that the right side is not fogging up as much as the left maybe it is "outgassing" like mentioned at earlier post... i just never heard of it.
  • gregorylynngregorylynn Member Posts: 38
    Easy check is to turn on the AC on high, set air direction to defrost vents or upper vents. Should de-humidify and clear the window asap, if all is well. You can also use a cooking thermometer to check the temp of air coming out of each vent to look for a variance in the air system.
    There is a CAUTION note within all Toyota/Lexus owners manuals concerning a rather serious FLAW in the design of their automatic climate control systems.

Unlike more traditional designs which HEAT and dehumidify the airflow to the interior surface of the windshield these systems will often supply airflow to the windshield which is 20F COLDER than your temperature setpoint.

Most systems, when you use the defrost/defog/demist mode, full or partial, will supply HEATED airflow to the windshield on the assumption that the driver has a firm basis for the use of the defrost/defog/demist mode, "the damn windshield has condensation on the interior surface".

For some reason unknown at this time, NipponDenso, Denso US, seems to think it's satifactory to supply only COLD dehumidified airflow in this mode, even in the dead of winter when interior windshield fogging is most likely and therefore potentially the most dangerous to forward vision.

So, do NOT, NEVER use, continuously, either of the defrost/defog/demist modes if you have a Toyota or Lexus with the automatic climate control system.

In the above case you may have some sort of system malfunction wherein a small level of system airflow, COOL system airflow, is "leaking" to the interior windshield surface when the system is in normal operating, cooling, mode. Laying a thick towel over the windshield outlets is likely the easiest way to determine if that is the case since the airlow might be low/slow enough as to be undetectable via skin surface "feeling".
    Hardly a week goes by that we do not hear about some thing that Toyota incorporates that most people would consider somewhere between funky and downright stupid!

Does anyone kmow if you have the manual system and select defrost do we get warm/hot air to the windshield?
    Only if you "dial" it in.

If your manual "setpoint" was on or near the cooling side when you switched to defrost you will get "COOL" defrost/defog/demist airflow. And in fairly short order if you didn't previously have the A/C engaged, it is now, and the airlow to the windshield will get even COOLER. But at least it will be dehumidified airflow....eventually....as soon as the evaporator vane surface temperature declines to the dewpoint of the incoming (fresh) airflow and only if the blower speed it low enough for the incoming airflow to be cooled to dewpoint....

But what if the dewpoint of the incoming airflow is so low the A/C is ineffective at dehumidification....??

DENSO: "Gee, I guess we didn't think of that...but we do disable the A/C if the OAT is below 35F...."

The manual doesn't tell you this, at least the last Camry manual I've seen, but when you need to defog/demist the interior surface of the windshield turn the heating and blower level all the way up and then switch to the defrost/defog/demist mode.

If that happens to be overkill then so be it, no harm, no foul, you can now re-adjust, moderate, the effects at will.

The RX300 series has a c-best option, two actually, wherein the "link" coupling the operation of the A/C to defrost/defog/demist mode can be severed. The second on allows you to indefinitely disable the A/C until the next time you turn it on yourself using the button.

Prior to discovering the c-best options I simply disconnected the A/C compressor clutch wire during the winter months.

In my 1992 LS400 I installed a switch that increased the resistance of the interior air temperature sensor. Before I activated the defrost/defog/demist mode I flipped the switch to make the climate control ECU think the cabin was cold, very COLD, and that resulted in lots of HEAT and high blower speed as I switched modes.

Later versions, my 2001 RX300, have added another level of digital signal processing that doesn't allow sudden/quick changes in certain sensor output readings. But then the RX has a "twist" dial to set the temperature so I just give it a quick clockwise spin.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    I thought that folks were just unlucky...they said their windshield had cracked for no apparant reason. I also thought they probably got hit by a stone. I am here to tell you that it is fact..the windshield will crack on it's own. It happened to me today and the car was parked under cover. At first I thought it was something spilled on the windshield because of the strange design...well, it was not..it is a crack. The oddest design like a string was stretched across and in an arc around the windshield. I will be in Toyota tomorrow morning. I did call and was told of course a supervisor has to look at it....this is a problem folks and it is real. It will happen to you sooner or latter. Just like the fume canister...under the drivers side of the car...it needs to be fixed by Toyota...no way a $24000.00 car should be sold with these defects. C'mon Toyota...this is just plain wrong.

Jimmy Drew :mad:
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    I traded in my RAV4 last Nov for an HHR LT2....after 10K miles....zero defects.....very happy....the RAV had over $6K worth of warranty work done before I unloaded it on that poor unsuspecting dealership.....by the time the RAV had 10k miles it had spent many-many days in the shop. Bought son and daughter a new 95 & new 2000 cavelier & sunfires.....after all these years only one trip back to dealerships for ...a switch....they still drive those cars...the cheapest cars GM ever buildt make the RAV I owned seem like a bad nightmare....cannot begin to list all the things that went wrong with it....good luck guys!!
  • maxwell3maxwell3 Member Posts: 10
    does the RAV4 have some sort of warning (sound?) that tells you that you've left your lights on after you turn the engine off?
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    No, the lights automatically shut off after 30 secs unless the keys are in the ignition.
  • maxwell3maxwell3 Member Posts: 10
    I should have clarified...the headlights?
    Yes, I'm talking headlights, too. After the doors are closed there is a 30 second delay and then the headlights turn off. You can turn them off ssoner by locking the doors with the remote.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    well partly because I was expecting it to happen because of other postings and partly because this is really quirky my windshield is not cracked. My hairline cracks turned out to be something on the windshield..yes I tried to clean it and when I got to the dealer today they tried...and the service advisor said wait a minute something isn't right and he came out with a razor blade..shure enough he scraped my "crack" right off. :confuse: Boy did I feel stupid. Anyway, I take back my post...all is well and I love my Sport V6 Rav4. Oh, I also asked about the fume canister if anyone has had a problem or is there a recall...my advisor said not a one returned and no recall.

Jimmy Drew
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The throttle lag collection of posts has been moved to the new RAV4 Throttle Lag discussion (yeah, original, I know :shades:).

Here's the link (Lir posted an update a short while ago):

RAV4 Throttle Lag
  • kiddo1kiddo1 Member Posts: 1
    For some reason my alarm went off and in my panic to quiet it I somehow disabled the automatic locking device forcing me to use the key.

Is there an easy solution to this problem? My dealer is not very helpful and wants to charge me for "diagnoising" the problem. Am I expecting too much from them, or is the problem that complicated?
  • ofeliaofelia Member Posts: 10
    Depending on what type of alarm you have, there should be instructions on how to reset it. If the alarm is installed by the dealer, they should be able to reset it for free. Go directly to service manager or customer service manager for better results.

My alarm would go on after disarming, and I would turn it of by putting my key on "on" position (for accessories) then hit the reset button for alarm at the bottom. The second time around, this did not work, I called the dealership and he told me to hold the button while putting the key to ignition on. I took it to the dealership coz I can't take it anymore, they changed the alarm brain. Seems like toyota has problems with the alarm coz my co-worker had the same problem.
    It was around June 15th that I began the complaint process regarding the droning noise my 2006 RAV 4 makes by taking it to the dealer to have them listen to it. They gave me an appointment for June 26th and that day they looked at it, but didn't solve the problem. I have talked with Toyota corporate and the dealer many times since then and they finally decided that it is the fuel pump. So this Tuesday 8/22/06 they are going to replace it (fuel pump) with a new one from Japan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve the noise problem once and for all! I will let you know whether this works or not in case there are more of you out there with this problem. By the way the NHTSA site has several Service Bulletins listed for the 2006 RAV4s for various issues and I am going to ask the dealer about these when the car goes in for the fuel pump.
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    I have been following your message all these days. How were things turned out?
    Thanks for asking. Unfortunately Toyota's first attempt at a fix did not work. They replaced the fuel pump yesterday and when I got the car back over 8 hours later they said they were sorry, but that the noise was still there. It was even louder than before. They told me that Toyota was probably going to have them replace the fuel tank next to see if that worked, but that they would call me back today to let me know. When the service writer called me today he said that Toyota had instead decided that the next thing they would try would be to replace the fuel tube assembly, which includes the fuel pump housing, a/some screens, a switching valve and a pump regulator. They ordered the part, but it may take some time to get it since it is on back order. So I am stuck with the droning noise and I have no idea how long I will have to wait for the next "fix". Very discouraging! I will keep posting updates as the process moves along.
    Thank you for the quick response. Hope the replacement of the whole tube assembly cures the noise.

I somehow feel it is temperature related. It happens always when the car is hot. :confuse:
  • ofeliaofelia Member Posts: 10
    I hope that fixes everything, when I posted a few months ago, I mentioned they replaced the fuel tank and pump. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, I hear some sounds again. It dissapears and doesn't stay that long and comes from the back of the vehicle. I think I'm getting tired of the problem that I mask the sound with my radio...hope it works for you since they are replacing the whole fuel tube assembly.
    Thanks for your response. I will keep you posted, but it may be awhile before I have anymore news since the dealer said the part is back ordered. Sorry to hear you still have the droning sound. I'm glad they didn't bother to replace my whole gas tank since that didn't seem to work for your vehicle.
    You're welcome. You know, I think you have a point about it always happening when the car is hot. I have been keeping a diary complete with dates and times and a pattern has developed which does indeed indicate that it is heat related. For example, when I first turn the car on in the morning to drive to work the droning noise never comes on, but after I have been driving for awhile it comes on (when the car is hot). If I make a stop at the store or wherever after having driven for awhile (again, the car is hot) and then get back in the car to head home the droning noise comes on as soon as I start the car. Anyhow I will keep you posted as to the result of replacing the tube assembly though that may not happen for awhile since the part is back ordered.
  • xtek3xtek3 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry to hear about your ongoing dilemma. I too face a similar situation. The droning sound occurs around 55-60 mph and lasts approx. 2-5 sec's with a frequency about every 30 sec. Brought it to the dealer's (wife did that is) and thy took it out for 5 min's and could not duplicate sound-this happens to me each time I drive it!! So I feel this is going to be a pain in the arsk to troubleshoot and resolve. Pls keep the post going.
    I'm really sorry to hear that yet another of us 2006 RAV4 owners is experiencing the droning noise problem. It's interesting that you mention that it happens in your vehicle at around 55-60 mph. Johan, in another earlier post said he thinks it's a temperature related issue. Mine usually happens after I've been driving for awhile at freeway speeds (so of course the car is hot by that point) and it also does it while the car is stopped, but still running, ie at a stop light or in a parking lot and always after it's been driven for awhile. The droning sound also happens to me each time I drive the car. Mine is a 6cyl and I'm not sure whether others with the problem have 4 or 6 cyls. It is a blast to drive - great acceleration and handles very well, but I can't live with this noise if Toyota isn't able to fix it. I was discouraged to hear that another forum participant, Ofelia, had her entire fuel tank and fuel pump replaced and that that did not resolve the issue. Maybe the next fix they try on my car will take care of it - I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but have little faith at this point. I will definitely keep the post going because maybe if they solve it with my car they can fix all of the others without putting you all through so many hoops.
    Time related or temperature...?

Cabin temperature and therefore time.....

For improved FE (again!) some of the latest Toyota/Lexus models are now using a variable displacement A/C refrigerant compressor. I wonder if that is what some of you are hearing, calling a droning noise.

The system uses a swash plate technique to vary the displacement. Unlike older models wherein the compressor clutch was either engaged or not, the new compressor's clutch will remain engaged at all times the A/C is enabled. Its "internals" will be adjusted to pump a lower level of refrigerant, probably especially noticeable once the cabin has cooled to or near your setpoint, manual or automatic system.

The noise of that slow pumping displacement, in combination with a relatively fast/high engine RPM would likely be a very noticeable anomaly for those of us having long ago adjusted/adapted to the noise of the old on/off compressor.

Next time you hear the droning reach over and turn off the A/C and see if it doesn't stop.
    I thought of the droning noise might be related to AC before and thus tried by turning off the AC. You know what, the noise was still there. The new AC technique you mentioned put me to think that might be the reason why the AC is so weak. As earlier posted, I had to turn it on at level three or to the maximum (level 4) when the weather is hot. For this, I also thought of the insulation material for this new rav4 is not good enough considering its sale price.

I didn't notice the noise when the speed is over 50mph though. Like ihammer mentioned, I notice it only when the car was driven earlier. It never happens when I start it early morning going to work.

BTW, my car is V6 sport 2wd. I do enjoy it other than that.
  • mbuttonmbutton Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I were driving on the highway recently and we noticed when slowing down on the off ramp, there was a very strange noise coming from the back of the vehicle. After troubleshooting a bit, we realized the bars on the roof racks had become loose and since we were driving with our moonroof completely open, it was causing some major vibrations of the loose racks. My husband tightened up the racks and the problem was solved. I thought I would pass this along in case anyone else was experiencing something similar. We thought it was a serious problem and were very relived to find it was a quick fix!
  • kjensenkjensen Member Posts: 2
    I too am experiencing the same issues with my 2006 Rav4 4x4, V6. We’ve owned the Rav for 6 weeks now and it’s been making this noise for the last 4. I thought perhaps it was the fuel pump so I took it to the dealership and was told it was indeed the pump, and that there was nothing wrong with it other than a possible design error. I was also told there wasn’t much the dealership could do with it at this time. I’m glad to hear that it’s just not me that’s been having this issue. The symptoms are almost identical as to what you mentioned as far as when I hear the noises. I was wondering if you have ever noticed that when you hear the noise and you are stopped at a stop light or pulling into the garage and put the RAV into park the noise stops, but starts again as soon as you put the RAV back into gear. Have you experience this? It makes me wonder if it’s a vibration in the transmission since it stops when the RAV is shifted into park. I’ve have shifted through all the gears and it continues to make this noise until I put it in park again. Maybe this is just happening to me but I thought I would check with others.
    Please keep us posted on what luck you have with replacing the fuel tube assembly, I plan on going back to the dealership but if I have a solution for the problem I might actually get somewhere with them. I really enjoy driving the RAV so I’m hoping this issue can get resolved.
  • jeromchekjeromchek Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2006 Rav4 4x4 V6 Ltd since early July. I've just noticed in the past few weeks, a groaning or droning noise coming from the rear-end. I too noticed it doesn't make the noise in park. Tonight when I pulled into the driveway and was slowly backing in reverse, the noise started. I shifted to park, and it stopped. I then shifted through all gears and it was there, until I put it back in park, it stopped. My husband was outside the car and could also hear the noise, coming from the rear-end. He is making an appt with the dealership tomorrow to have it looked at. I'll let you know what they say..
    My vehicle is the 2006 Rav4 4x2 V6. Anyhow, I have been keeping a diary re the droning noise every day I've driven the car since 6/26/06. I have a note dated 7/25/06 regarding shifting from reverse to park and so on back and forth. I noted that if I'm sitting with the car idling in park the droning is present and when I shift into reverse the tone of the droning noise changes to a higher/louder tone and if I shift back into park the tone goes lower/quieter, but is still present. I sat in the car and was able to duplicate this about 10 times. I'm sure I have notes from other days when the same thing happened. Anyhow this sounds similar to what your car is doing except that for you the noise stops when you shift into park. Interesting.
    The fact that your dealership told you that it was indeed the fuel pump and that there was nothing wrong with it other than a possible design error is apalling. Possible design error??? If they admit it is an error they better come up with a fix for it or they may end up having to buy all the droning 2006 RAV4s back. I love driving the car, but not enough to put up with the droning noise (that shouldn't be there in a new car - or even an old one!) every time I drive it.
    I will definitely keep you all posted as to what happens when they replace the fuel tube assembly. I've been out of town for the past 3 days so don't have any news about that yet. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any news as to when the part might be coming in.
    When I first started hearing the droning noise shortly after I bought the car (4/30/06) I did think to try turning off the air conditioning to see if that would make a difference and it did not. The noise was still present. Actually I am relieved that there doesn't seem to be a connection. I would be very unhappy if I thought that I was going to have to listen to a droning noise everytime I used the air conditioning. I can't imagine any engineer thinking that it would be good idea to incorporate an irritating noise into any function of a vehicle. Well, actually that's why I won't own a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle again. There is a grinding noise which happens shortly after one starts to drive off in some Nissan (Sentra for one) and Infiniti (G35) vehicles which the Nissan dealer said has to do with the ABS pump functioning properly. What a weird way to design a vehicle!
    When I first started hearing the droning noise shortly after I bought the car (4/30/06) I did think to try turning off the air conditioning to see if that would make a difference and it did not. The noise was still present. Actually I am relieved that there doesn't seem to be a connection. I would be very unhappy if I thought that I was going to have to listen to a droning noise everytime I used the air conditioning. I can't imagine any engineer thinking that it would be good idea to incorporate an irritating noise into any function of a vehicle. Well, actually that's why I won't own a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle again. There is a grinding noise which happens shortly after one starts to drive off in some Nissan (Sentra for one) and Infiniti (G35) vehicle
    I spoke with the dealership service dept. assistant manager this morning and the fuel tube assembly part is in. I will be taking the car in this Friday morning (9/1/06) to have it installed and will let everyone know after I get my RAV4 back if that has gotten rid of the droning noise.
  • sccrrefsccrref Member Posts: 4
    Can anybody tell me how to work this thing. I read the O/M twice. According to the book when you turn it on their should be a low/med/high setting.The display shows nothing all it shows is on/off.

When driving with the window open at 60 MPH i have to turn the volume up past 40 to hear any sound from the radio/cd player. Is this correct? :( Any help would be appreciated.

Pete
  • mtbiker120mtbiker120 Member Posts: 1
    Here's another piece of info regarding this droning noise: I recently purchased the RAV4 V6 Sport and have about 1000km on it. I just noticed the droning noise today. When I had it in D, N, or R, the noise is there. When I put it in Park, the noise disappears. Here's something that nobody has mentioned yet on this forum, as I turned the windshield wiper on, the noise goes away and as I turned it off, after 2 seconds, the noise comes back....interesting. I would like to ask those of you who have this problem to try it out and see if I'm the lone soul that this noise is related to the wiper as well. Hey, maybe this can help the techs to come up with a real fix.
  • kjensenkjensen Member Posts: 2
    I hope this works for you. We're leaving on a 2000 mile trip tomorrow with our RAV4, I hope I can stand the droning noise. I will try to log on sometime next week to see how things go for you tomorrow.
  • bgsayebgsaye Member Posts: 6
    I also noticed that the ASL does not work. I do not get the low/med/high options and cannot tell any change in volume at high/low/no speed. I just accepted the fact that it does not work...first year bug. :(
    Reading "between the lines", I think I have figured out the Owner's Manual explanation of how ASL works. It can only be turned 'ON' or 'OFF'. The 'LOW', 'MID' and 'HI' settings refer to 'BAS', 'MID' and "TRE" tone levels which are set by the same knob. Admittedly the Owner's Manual is confusing and downright misleading if taken literally, but I believe my explanation is actually what it is trying to say, albeit poorly. As far as the 'Automatic Sound Leveler', its function is to adjust the volume level higher or lower according to the ambient noise level in the car.
    Good luck on your trip and have a safe one. I just got back from an 860 mile trip with my RAV4. I didn't have any problems with the car other than the droning noise. There definitely was lots of droning, but I noticed it mainly around town when I was in the LA area. On the freeway at high speeds there was lots of road noise and I was also listening to CDs and/or the radio so I didn't hear it as much as I do around town. I got home on the 29th and yesterday when I was driving around doing errands the droning noise was really loud. Anyhow I'll keep everyone posted.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    The ASL works fine on my base radio. There is a vast difference with it on. The changes between lo med high are very noticeable. It is almost too much for my ears.
    Well other people have reported that ASL works fine once they get it on.
  • jeromchekjeromchek Member Posts: 2
    I posted a previous post about the droning noise on my '06 Rav. This evening, I noticed when I turned my lights on, the droning noise stopped. I turned the lights back off, and the noise started again. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Unless you have a different ASL than I have, ASL is simply ON or OFF. The HIGH, MEDIUM, and LOW refer to the equalizer settings. HIGH=Treble, MID=Medium, and LOW=base. The Audio Control Knob cycles through BAS, MID, TRE, FAD, BAL, and ASL. BAS, MID, TRE are adjustable from -5 to +5, the FAD is adjustable Front7 to Rear7, the BAL is adjustable Left7 to Right7 and finally, the ASL is simply adjusted to ON or OFF. All of these adjustments are made by turning the knob while the particular function is displayed. Let me know how yours is adjusted if different from this. Mine works fine too, but is only ON or OFF.
    I waited until the droning noise came on today when I was driving my car and then turned the windshield wiper on. The noise didn't go away when the windshield wiper was on in my vehicle. The technician's notes I got from the dealer after they replaced my fuel pump on 8/22/06 state that the noise can be intensified by applying electrical load and also they state that the noise disappears in Park - just as you said in regards to your vehicle. I also noticed today that when I shifted into Park the noise disappeared and then when I shifted back into reverse the noise came back on. I was able to duplicate that several times in the space of a few minutes. Anyhow, thanks for your input - maybe by puttinmg all of our experiences together we can, as you said, help the techs come up with a real fix. I will let everyone know the results of tomorrows visit to the dealership for the second attempt at repair.