Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    I haven't noticed that with my vehicle. In the tech's notes I got from the dealer on 8/22/06 after they had replaced my fuel pump, the tech states that the noise can be intensified by applying electrical load. I have also noticed at times and the tech confirms in the above mentioned notes that the noise turns off in Park. Today the droning noise did go off when I put the car in Park and on again when i put it in Reverse and I was able to duplicate that several times in the span of a few minutes. Anyhow, thanks for your continuing posts. I'll post again tomorrow after they try the second repair.
  • speedy1speedy1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new 2006 Toyota Rav4 a few months ago. So far I have not heard any droaning noise but I do notice that there is a ticking from either the valve train or the fuel injection. Anyone else have this sound? My friend's Avalon doesn't make this sound.

Also, when I am backing into my driveway or parking spot and turn the wheel there is a knocking or popping sound from the front suspension. Anyone else know this sound? It is driving me crazy. Dealership says nothing wrong.
    Did I mention the sounds is making me crazy?

Sure love the V6 motor though....amazing.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well your dealer must be in a time warp as there are lots of reports of popping or loud noise in various turns at low speeds. Lots of info on the web. No fix as far as I know so far.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    My radio operates as you describe except for the ASL. When I get the ASL display if I turn the right knob clockwise, I get low, mid, high, & off and with each click a distinctly different sound. This is the base radio btw.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Consumer Reports states that in their driving experience with the 4cyl, the engine "drones" at moderate speeds but is not annoying on the highway. Based on the CR comment it appears that all RAV4 4cyl engines may be prone to some droning. Unfortunately, this may be a characteristic of the new RAV. This may not be the droning noise that some are experiencing, but it is food for thought. Good Luck.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    Very interesting! Thanks for the reply.
    My Limited with the JBL system only has ASL on/off.
    :confuse:
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    Just got back from my local dealer and indeed the Type 1 and Type 2-1 have the additional LOW, MID and HIGH settings which the JBL - Type 2-2 does not have. The 3 ASL explanations are also correct in the User's Manual. Type 1 is on p170, Type 2-1 on p178 and Type 2-2 on p 179.
  • traveler8traveler8 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2006 RAV 4. I am having a problem with my cell phone charger. It appears to be too tight of a fit. When I try to remove it, it pulls the outlet out. The dealer suggested I find a smaller charger. I had a Toyota Previa before this and never had a problem. I thought all chargers are a standard size. In fact I did buy a new retractable one and still have the same problem on 2 of the outlets. I have not tried the 3rd outlet by the back door. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • jpp777jpp777 Member Posts: 1
    I recently went to a Toyota dealer and he indicated that the droning noise is coming from the alternator. This is why the noise changes once there is an electrical load to the alternator (e.g., wipers, putting windows up, changing gears). He checked other new Rav4 on the lot and indicated that this noise was consistent with the others. The noise still seems loud to me, especially at lower noises. Hope this helps some...not sure if this is the answer, but it may help our problem solving mission.
    I had a problem getting my cell phone charger into the outlet - it was a very tight fit so I did it very carefully and was so afraid to take it out that I left it in the outlet for a few days. I finally did take it out and it didn't pull the outlet out, but I was afraid it might. I kind of turned the charger a little before I pulled it out. I haven't put it back in yet, but am leary of doing so. The one in my 2004 RAV4 was no problem going in or out. The cupholders in my 2004 RAV4 also worked - I wish Toyota had left well enough alone and not redesigned the cupholders. Cups flop around in them - they are way to big.
    The dealer I've been taking my 2006 RAV4 to for the droning noise determined that the source of the noise was the fuel tank (indicating also that the noise could be intensified by applying electrical load). The first fix they tried was to replace the fuel pump (8/22/06), after having consulted with Toyota engineers/techs. That fix didn't work. After having performed further tests as requested by Toyota, the dealer (on 9/1/06) lowered fuel tank assembly, replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and reinstalled fuel tank. They then test drove the vehicle and after a 15 mile Q.C. test drive determined that the noise had been eliminated.
    When I picked up the car at 6:30 PM yesterday (9/1/06) I did not hear any evidence of the droning noise when I started the car. I drove it home (about 13 miles) and made a couple of stops along the way and heard no droning during that entire drive so it seems to be fixed because in the past I would hear at least some droning every time I drove it. I did not drive it today, but probably will tomorrow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a permanent fix. I hope this helps those of you dealing with the droning problem. I will still keep folks posted as to the continuing absence (hopefully) of the noise and also let you know if it returns.
  • sccrrefsccrref Member Posts: 4
    Do not know about all of you but right now I am pretty pissed. I spent the extra money for the upgraded radio and I do not like this piece of crap that Toyota installed. I am going to contact Toyota to complain and see if they will replace it. If not I will contact my lawyer and handle it that way.

What Toyota basically did was charge for a Premium Radio and installed some piece of junk :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pete
  • gregorylynngregorylynn Member Posts: 38
    I had same problem with our Garmin C340 GPS power cord as well, damn 12V socket in the 06 Rav4 is too tight for sure.
  • spinningfoxspinningfox Member Posts: 3
    Just to share my own experience.

My wife and I went to a dealership in July test drove the V6 Rav4. We drove the Silver Rav4 for a while then went back to the parking lot; we stayed in the car for over 20 minutes per request of the sales person (he's helping someone else); then we heard the droning noise after about 5 minutes sitting in the car in Park mode; the noise continued for over 10 minutes until I shut the engine off. We thought it was this particular car being damaged by abusive driving thus didn't pay too much attention.

We bought a Pacific Blue Limited Edition Rav4 V6 4x4 fully loaded in August, so far I have put on 1000 miles on it. We've noticed that after the car is being running for a while, the droning noise is usually heard at stop in front of red lights, once I start driving again, the noise goes away. My wife believes the noise is coming from the rear of the car, hopefully Toyota have a fix soon.
  • mendota101mendota101 Member Posts: 17
    My commute is 170 miles round trip. Speed is 60-80 mph and I inflate the tires to 40 PSI. Mileage is 26-28 mph.

As best as I can figure the warning light comes on with 3 gallons left in the tank. Is this correct?

Tank is 15.9 gallons. No problems with the car and I change the oil every 5000 with Mobil 1 0-20 weight.
    As I mentioned in my 9/3/06 post, the dealer did a second fix for the droning noise on 9/1/06 by replacing the fuel pump assembly (the first fix, which didn't work, was to replace the fuel pump on 8/22/06). I heard no droning when I drove the car home on 9/1 and didn't drive the car again until 9/4/06 when I drove it for about a 60 mile round trip. I did hear the drone again slightly about 20 miles into the trip and then again when I went to back out of the parking lot and the car started to make a noise that sounded kind of like a small airplane in the distance and then the noise turned into the all to familiar drone (in reverse). I have heard it drone several times since then, the latest being yesterday when I got home from work after a 40 mile commute. I was backing into my garage and on came the drone. I put it into Park and the drone stopped. I put it in Reverse again and the drone came on and so on. I was able to duplicate that pattern several times and I finally stopped because I needed to go into the house. The drone is not a loud as it was before the two attempts a fixes were made and does not happen as often, but it is there and is noticible and I am worried that it will just get louder and more frequent with the passage of time as it did before it was "fixed". I frankly think that Toyota has made some sort of design error that needs to be fixed before there is a permanent solution to the problem - ie a vehicle which is quiet like a new car should be. So I am really discouraged because I would like to keep the vehicle - but not with this noise. If anyone who has had the droning noise problem has had it eliminated by a dealer, please let me know what the solution was. Thanks! I am supposed to make another appointment with the dealer and take the car in again so will keep all posted when I do that.
  • hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    The first few CD's seem to load fine, but after that they
    take forever. Sometimes it comes up with "Error 3".
    It just seems to get confused every so often. Anyone else
    run into this? :confuse:
    ------------------
  • jmccomasjmccomas Member Posts: 2
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that the spring loaded finger that holds cups in place in the console cup holder is useless? The springs seem so weak and the holder opening is so large that only the very fattest cups are held securely.

I've got about 6k miles on my RAV4 and, so far, this is about my only complaint, except for poor gas mileage. I've had absolutely no problems so far with the vehicle. I love this car. And that's saying a lot since the last two cars I owned were BMWs. My only large complaint is that I'm not getting the mileage promised. In the city I get about 23 mpg, which is OK. But on the highway I only get about 27mpg, without the A/C. With the A/C on, I only get about 26mpg.
  • gregorylynngregorylynn Member Posts: 38
    We are going to try beer foam cozys inserted into the holders to tighten it up for smaller or slanted shaped mugs/cups. Others have found cheap items at Target to use in a similar fashion.
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well apprently the 2007 comes with cupholder inserts in a bag. Try getting them for you 2006. The dealer ought to get them for you for free!

I though that mileage would be considered good. Is that for the V6?
  • jmccomasjmccomas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check with my dealer.

The mileage I quoted is for a 2006 4cyl 2wheel drive. I find it interesting to note that the 2007 is now rated at 23mpg city/28mpg hwy vs. the 2006 rated at 24/30.
    I called Toyota Customer Service ( the toll free number) and told them how useless the cupholders in the 2006 RAV4s are - ie you have to hold onto any cup that's in them when you stop, start, speed up quickly, turn a corner etc. I told them that it is dangerous to always have to have your hand on whatever cup is in the cupholder and also mentioned that I had heard that cupholder inserts were going to come with the 2007 RAV4s. I asked that those of us who own 2006 RAV4s be given these inserts because our cupholders are useless. The guy I spoke with said he hadn't heard of any such item and that he would note my complaint (he gae me reference number), but that they wouldn't be following up with me. Nice, huh? Anyhow, I told him that I would continue to call them back re this issue. I'm going to call one of the sales people I know to see if the 2007s are out and if they do have the inserts if it is possible that we 2006 owners can get them too. I'll keep you posted.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    where did you call? I'll call too...perhaps others....
  • jodi1972jodi1972 Member Posts: 2
    I am disappointed to hear that that your most recent maintenance did not fix the droning. I bought a 2006 Rav4 Sport V6 4WD a month and a half ago. After about 1500 miles, I started hearing the droning noise and its definiately getting worse...louder and happens more often. Its definiately coming from the rear of the vehicle and I notice that it becomes louder when I turn the headlights on. Once I turn the headlights off, the droning is still there, but a little softer. Except for this problem, I have no complaints about my Rav4, but this noise is driving me crazy. I always have the radio on to drown it out. I haven't taken it into the dealership yet to have it looked at because I wanted to wait and see how your fix went. I'm going to be making an appointment soon, and I'll keep you posted.
    I called 1 (800) 331-4331, a Toyota Customer Service number and I believed I selected option #6 after the recorded message went through the list of options. I do think it's a good idea if other people call so that maybe Toyota will do the right thing and give us all inserts. I really do feel that it's a safety issue because of the fact that if you want a cup to stay in the cup holder you have to keep one hand on it when you start up or stop suddenly and when you go around corners etc. The guy I spoke with at the above mentioned number disagreed with me and said that Toyota cars all meet Federal safety standards. Anyhow, thanks for your reply and good luck with your call.
    I'm sorry to hear you're having the droning noise problem too. Feel free to mention the nature of the fixes which were done to my vehicle (the first was that they installed a new fuel pump and when that didn't work they put in a new fuel pump housing or tube). After the second fix I called my case manager at Toyota Customer Service (1 (800) 331-4331) to let her know that I still hear the noise, albeit less frequently and not as loud. I also called the dealer who has been working on it to let them know. I am waiting for a call back from the dealer who is communicating with Toyota corporate and a Toyota technical rep. They are trying to figure out what to do next. I hope that once they tell me to bring the car in again, my vehicle will make the droning noise so they can hear it. It has made the noise on six out of the ten times I've driven it since I got it back after the latest "fix" so I can't be sure it will make the noise when I take it in. I sure hope they figure it out becaue I love driving the car, but don't want to be stuck with a car that makes that noise. Anyhow, I hope this is helpful to you and that maybe your dealer will come up with a fix. Thanks for your post and for keeping me and others posted.
  • scottcascottca Member Posts: 12
    Hi: Take a small tape recorder with you on the next drive and record the drone sound. I hope the mechanic will hear the difference. Might work!!
  • alberhpralberhpr Member Posts: 5
    I have had my RAV4 Ltd 2WD for a week and I find the ride to be pretty bumpy. There is a lot of up and down motion. Does this get better over time? I only have 450 miles on it.

I had a service tech test drive it with me this morning and he said it was behaving normally for this type of vehicle.

I had a VW Passat and it had a great ride. :(
    Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had been taping the noise before I took My RAV4 to the dealer for the first two "fixes", but it turned out they could hear the noise when I took the vehicle in so I never needed to play the tape for the mechanic. I do carry the tape recorder with me, but have not tried to record the noise since the last "fix". I guess it's a good idea to try to record it again.
    I also had a VW Passat (2006) for a short time right before I got My RAV4 V6 Ltd 2wd. The ride in the Passat was definitely more smooth (and quiet!) than it is in the RAV. I have also had a 2004 RAV4,a Toyota 4runner, a Nissan Pathfinder, a Lexus RX330 and several cars. I think the service tech is right in saying that that is normal. My experience with SUVs vs. cars is that there is always a rougher ride in an suv, except maybe for the Lexus. I have a friend who drives a Nissan Altima which I ride in frequently and it definitely is smoother than my '06 RAV4. Unless you have something unusual going on with your RAV4 the ride you're experiencing now is probably its normal ride. Hope this has been helpful.
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    I have a surging problem that only occurs when the A/C is on. If I drive at a constant speed of about 30 to 35 mph at about 1500 rpm, every now and then, the engine will have a small surge. This may happen 1 time or a couple of times in quick succession. Then everything is OK for approximately 20 to 30 seconds. Then the engine surges again. I have noticed that when the surge occurs, the rpms drop to about 1200 and immediately goes back to 1500. If there are two or three surges, the tach responds the same way with a sudden drop in rpm but an immediate return. I do not notice this if the A/C is off or if I am going much faster with the A/C on.

I asked during maintenace if I had a problem. The tech told me this was at a shift point speed and that's why it happens. He suggested I just ignore it or drive faster. I have to drive at that speed into my subdivision for about 2 miles, so maybe that's why I notice it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Gil
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    Not sure if this would be in the right discussion. I wanted to post just in case people haven't had to deal with this yet. Tire pressure warning light came on. Checked all the tires, added air and the light would not go off. Of course I have not read the entire owners manual so I looked it up and found that even the spare has to be checked. Sure enough psi was only 29 so we added air and the light went off. Just as an FYI to check the spare also! Especially before you go through the hassle of putting away the air compressor. LOL :)
  • digitalmantisdigitalmantis Member Posts: 4
    I too have the droning problem. It started almost immediately after I took possession about 5 weeks ago (mid-Aug). Last night I attended our local "Get to know your Toyota" gathering at our dealer (www.oakvilletoyota.ca). There were several 2006 Rav4 owners in attendance who also have the same problem, and interestingly the service manager, has been trying to find a fix for quite some time. He said they have spent hours in a droning vehicle trying different things. New tires, rebalancing, drilling holes in the exhaust, checking the roof rack and ceiling metal, adding weight to the back etc. They've even had the top guns from Toyota Canada come to the dealer to get help. So far no luck. The good thing is that they know about it. The dealer says that Japan will have to get involved real soon because there is now a lot of drone complaints coming in. Sit tight, the solution will come and then all the dealers will be to apply the solution.
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    I too had the same problem and when I called the new car manager he said to check the spare tire. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about but sure enough, the pressure was lower than the rest of the tires and when I aired it up, the light went off.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Are there two different droning noises? It doesn't seem to me that a dealer would change or rebalance tires or check the roof rack in relation to the droning noise that others have described, that occurs only when the vehicle is in gear and stopped. Mine does this as well, but very infrequently.
    Thanks so much for your post - sorry you have the problem too. I am glad to hear that Toyota knows that there are lots of the 2006 Rav4s which have the droning noise problem and I hope they do get Japan involved real soon. The 2nd "fix" on my vehicle was on Sept. 1st and now the droning noise is happening more and more often and is almost as loud as it was before Sept. 1st. I really do hope they can come up with a solution because the car is really fun to drive aside from the noise. Anyhow thanks again for your post - I do feel somewhat encouraged by your news.
    My vehicle only has one droning noise which appears to/sounds like it comes from the rear of the car on the drivers side. I'm not sure why the dealer tried those things (rebalancing tires & checking roof rack) either.
  • sgendelsgendel Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a RAV4 2 months ago. Well about 2 weeks ago we had a lot of rain in NJ, one weekend it was the end of a Nor'easter. Anyway the car was locked up tight and when I went to the car on the passenger side front seat we had about and inch to 2 inches of water!! I took it to the dealer and the said they could not find a leak. The following day it happened again. This time the dealer asked if I park the car on an incline. I said yes about 5 degrees. They said oh well we might know of a problem. They took the car and claimed to have fixed it. We are supposed to have rain this weekend. Anyone else have a similar issue? :mad:
    I hear you, it just makes me wonder if the dealer is truly going after the noise that people are actually experiencing when I hear that they're investigating tires and roof rack as possible causes, both of which are clearly not involved-- at least in the noise I'm thinking of.

When mine does it it's coming from beneath the floor behind the driver's seat, as far as I can tell anyway, since I have to have the car in gear to hear it. It's not particularly loud and not something it does often so it doesn't bother me. But at least an explanation of what it is would be nice to have.
  • canadianeh2canadianeh2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Rav4 since April. At about 2000 KM (1242 Mi), I started to notice a droning sound from the back end. I can reproduce this sound at will, so long as I'm on a level surface with slight gas applied, driving speeds of 70 (43MPH), 80 (49MPH), 90 (56MHP) and 100 (62MPH) KM's per hr. In addition, I hear a low whining noise from the back end and some vibration.

Not only I have the annoying droning sound, when driving at parking lot speeds, turning into parking stalls or just going around the corner, the frontend creeks. Also the transmission tends to hesitate finding the gear it wants, after braking around Yield corners and then pressing the gas pedal.

Last but not least, two weeks after taking possession of the Rav, backing out of the driveway - on dry summers day - the Slippery surface symbol flashed on the dash (6 occasions) as if to tell me the road was slippery....it surely was not. It hasn't happened since.

I took it to the dealer today. He hadn't heard of the droning noise, so he says. I explained the hesitating gear change also happened on my 2002 Camry, the car now gone; the shop foreman told me the Camry had a software update to fix the problem. He's going to check with Japan if there's one coming out for the 2006 Rav4.

As for the front end creaking noise, the Shop foreman agreed that it's not normal, as is the droning noise. He ran a scope on the truck during our test drive to see if there was any indication to why the slippery surface light came on - nothing was found.

To say the least, the car is booked for an inspection and they'll provide me with a service loaner car. I have to give that much to dealer, he's trying to get me answers to fix the things that shouldn't be.

So, if anyone discovers things happening that shouldn't be with their Toyota....take it into the shop. Toyota is working at becoming #1 in the world. so lets test them on their desires, challange them to make sure your car is #1.

Regards.
  • siewerssiewers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 5 month old RAV 4 with 6 CD changer. Recently the radio display has either disappeared altogether (altho radio still on) or it is showing all sorts of digits/symbols. Anyone else with this prob or know the solution?
  • jodi1972jodi1972 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also glad to hear that Toyota knows there's a problem. I plan to call the customer service number you gave me tomorrow to make a complaint about the droning problem as well. The sound for me sounds like its coming from underneath the floor of the driver's side back seat. It happens 90% of the time for me when I am either idling or driving a less than 35 miles per hour. I'm not sure if it happens when I'm driving faster than that because perhaps the road noise drowns it out. I have noticed that when I turn my headlights on, the droning noise is higher pitched (but not louder) and then goes down to a lower pitch when the headlights are turned off. Also, if the vehicle is cold (outside temps outside cold and the car sits out all night), I don't hear the droning noise until the car has been running for a little while and warms up.

I have faith that Toyota will find a solution. Hopefully everyone that's having the problem will report it...strength in numbers!
    Everything you mention in your post has been the exact experience I have been having re the droning noise. I'm glad you are reporting your droning problem to Toyota customer service - the more of us who do that, the sooner we'll have a solution.
    The droning noise in my vehicle also comes from the back end and can be reproduced. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, the dealer replaced both the fuel pump and the fuel pump housing. Replacing the fuel pump only made the noise louder. Replacing the fuel pump housing/fuel pumb tube/assembly as it has been alternately called did lessen the drone for awhile, but now it happens almost as often as it did before and is almost as loud. It changes when I shift from P to R - mostly off in P and on in R so it seems to me that the transmission may be involved somehow.

I have also experienced the transmission hesitation, most often after I have slowed down to go through a toll booth on the bridge and then try to speed up to merge - there's a hesitation in the response of the transmission, the consequence being that the car doesn't get going very quickly. This could create a dangerous situation.

I have also had the slippery surface symbol light up 3-4 times at a certain gas station when I am pulling up to the pump - not always the same pump and the concrete surface is dry.

I don't experience any front end creaking noise, but I do hae some creaking on the dashboard. The plastic panel which surrounds the emergency flasher button is loose at the bottom (was when I bought the RAV4) and it rattles. I have stuck some clear plactic index tabs in the crack to stop the noise as it could get worse if they take the dashboard apart to try to fix it.

I'm still waiting for a call from the dealer to let me know what Toyota has decided to try next and when I can take the car in.

Anyhow, thanks very much for your post.
    Yes, take it in to the dealer and they should agree to replace it without argument. Take a pic with your camera or cell phone to show them if you like, but the radio display going out or displaying garbage characters is a known issue with RAVs that seem to have been built earlier in 2006.
    I stand corrected on the droning noise - I wasn't aware that some were experiencing it while driving, so perhaps it does make sense for the dealer to be looking at things like tires. I've only heard mine do it when stopped or at a crawling speed while manoeuvring into a parking spot.

Yes, it does stop when you put it in P. However, I've noticed it doesn't stop immediately when going into P, but kind of quickly tails off. Go back into gear and it starts up again.

Any transmission hesitation when coming out of a corner I've chalked up to the tranny's eagerness to be in 5th gear as much as possible, but it isn't making much power at the low rpms that result. Step on the gas after a corner and you catch it napping and have to wait while it shifts down into 4th or 3rd.

Have not seen the skid control light flash except when I'm using the "hill holder" feature.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I read elsewhere there was an issue with the floors of some RAVS (in the rear) not being fully secure; sounds weird but folks were saying it felt like the sheet metal popped up and down when they stepped on it? Could this be causing the drone noise....?
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    I have read a lot of these posts regarding the droning noise and I think mine is starting to do it. Mine is the LTD 4WD V6. I first heard something odd when I put it into reverse to do a 3 point turnabout, it made sort of a clunking/humming noise. Sounded as if it was coming from the back driver side. Then this morning when I pulled into the parking spot, I heard a humming noise when I put it in park. When I put it in drive, it went away. Is this the noise everyone is talking about? I am hesitant to bring it back to the dealership we bought it from because dealing with them is a nightmare. Do you think I can bring it to any Toyota dealership? Should I plan to be without the car for a week while they try to figure it out???
  • digitalmantisdigitalmantis Member Posts: 4
    Someone mentioned a few messages ago that there are in fact two droning problems. I am "lucky" because I have both of them. Let's call the first one DRONE 1: It is a loud drone when stopped at idle (say at a traffic light). It comes from the back and there are indications it may be the fuel pump. It cmopes and goes and sometimes can be duplicated. DRONE 2: is when you are driving at 50-60 mph with light acceleration (not coasting), and there is a vibration from the back that is like you are on the rumble strip at the side of the highway, but at about 25% intensity. My local dealer here in Canada (www.oakvilletoyota.ca) is frantically trying to solve DRONE 2. I have DRONE 2 all the time at the 50-60mph. I have DRONE 1 only once in a while. I must say that I have also experienced a DRONE 3, once, which is a very loud compressor type noise on the driver's side when on a curve. That one I'll leave for future conversations. Anyone have a DRONE 4?
  • zippyv6zippyv6 Member Posts: 1
    My Rav4 has the same issues. The dealership has replaced the front struts and strut bearings for the creaking noise in the front end, but this did not solve the problem. My droning noise does not appear to be the same as most everyone elses. Mine will make the noise while I have my foot on the gas pedal, but will stop a soon as I take my foot off the pedal. I am on my third radio also. My transmission also has the slipping sensation that you have mention. Toyota has a bulliten out on the transmission, but the problen is still not resolved