Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Does anyone know where a download (PDF file) of the owner's manual may be found?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Give Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks, however, the link is only to the reference guide, not the Owner's Manual.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota just provides those little guides. I haven't found an Owner's Manual for any Toyota online. It's irritating since only a few manufacturers don't provide one online any more.

You may get find some helpful info in one of the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide.
    Toyota provides the iGuide online, however, Rav4 is not one of the vehicles covered. I've found Avalon manuals that others have downloaded from Toyota's tech info site and posted but haven't found anything on the Rav4.

Toyota used to provide manuals on CDs but no more.
    It's really irritating. I'm semi-seriously car shopping right now (in fact, I have a loaner Honda Fit overnight). The dealer didn't leave the owner's manual in the glove box but I'm reading the pdf version right now.

I've test driven the Matrix and am considering a Scion, but it's a real disadvantage not having easy access to the manual (when I last bought new back in '98, I made the salesperson find me a manual to read, so I'm a bit nuts about the issue anyway :shades: ).
    There is a laborious and time-consuming process to get the owner's manual in pdf form: on the Toyota owners website, it's possible to do a search of the owner's manual for some common term (such as " "), open all the returned documents (which is, essentially, a separate file for each chapter, the introduction, table of contents and the index and then save them. Then, if you have Adobe Pro, you can combine all the pdf's into one document. I don't think it's worth it, however. It's probably better to buy a 24 subscription to Toyota's technical website and download whatever you want!
    Ah, I didn't realize that was possible. Downloading by chapter is fine; I initially did that for my Nissan before the full text was available in one file. Someone out there somewhere has probably done all this (let us know when you find it :) ).
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Won't this work for you regarding the Matrix? There's a place for accessing the owner's manual there. My '98 Corolla is registered here, but the manuals don't go back that far for it.

Toyota Owners site
    Well . . . I downloaded each chapter and combined them into one PDF file (missing a few tables of content for some chapters). I'd post it somewhere, however, I don't know where.
    I think Google Docs is set up for public file sharing of documents. Probably several others.
    Google docs has a 10MB limit. The manual is 29MB. Do you know of a site that will accept a file this large?
    Heh, that's a big file. Now I see why you have to d/l many of them chapter by chapter. The pdf for my minivan was just over 1MB. Maybe it could be compressed or something, but I'm not up on .pdf files.

Don't know of other free places to host it. Anyone?
  • ravigatorravigator Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Wife has new 2008 Sport V6 4WD. Just returned from 2k mile trip. MPG averaged 24. One tank at 21. Once we got 26. Handled great. Very good throttle response.
    Very comfortable. Good visibility. So far so good.

Question...Anything we should be looking out for?

Found only one TSB for the tire air valve.

thanx
  • ginsvalloginsvallo Member Posts: 9
    What was the TSB for the tire valve about?
  • sage3sage3 Member Posts: 47
    Did anyone change the oil filter in the 2009 4 cyl? Well if you have not your in for a surprise! The new filters come with a 12 step "operation procedure" the filter comes with a separate drain plug (to drain the oil from the filter) and 2 different sized washers AKA "o-rings" that need to be swapped out during this process.Did I mention that the new filter design is no longer in the traditional metal casing, it comes open to the air. O, and of course you will need a special tool to remove the "cap".
    I will take on toyota's "figure out how to change this filter challenge and provide results later, but right now I am afraid, very afraid.
  • ginsvalloginsvallo Member Posts: 9
    Don't be afraid. The 2006 6's have that same system. It's no biggie and you'll get used to it.
    You are right, I did the change and it was not as bad as I thought. Did anyone try to remove the casing without draining it first?
    By the way toyota wants $28 for the specialty tool, I bought a 65mm 14 flange filter tool and it worked fine ($4.55 at advanced auto parts)
  • SA_in_COLOSA_in_COLO Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problems with my 08 RAV4 windshield washer fluid freezing. Fluid is good to -40 degrees and not a problem with any of our other vehicles. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What have you done to correct it? I'm concerned that it is a driving safety hazard.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "Back to the future.."

For those of us in my age group the separate filter and filter canister was once SOP.

This "new" way less otherwise recycleable material goes into our landfills.
    -40 degrees is the rating as a liquid mixture, not for the spray/mist forced UNDER PRESSURE from the windshield washer nozzles. The more completely the nozzle converts the liquid to an aerosol mist (pressure differential across the washer nozzles' SMALL apperture) the more likely it will freeze "in transit" or once it strikes the COLD windshield.

If the fluid is freezing within the storage container then something else is amiss.
    Good point wwest; I am for less waste. In your past experience with this type of filter did you have to drain the canister before unscrewing it?
  • ThinkinghardThinkinghard Member Posts: 16
    Hi, folks,

Please allow me to ask a silly question here:

I bought a Rav4 from another state so I did all registration work myself in my town hall. However, when I got my plates and tried to install the front license plate, I did not find any holes there.

I am just curious whether I need to drill holes there for the front plate installation(?) :confuse: It is a new car so I really want to confirm it before doing anything to the car.

I appreciate your ideas!
    Back in the fifties there was no ability to drain the canister before removal.
    Look for a pair of correctly spaced small dimples in/near the center of the front bumper or nearby. Dimples are for drill placement but care needs to be taken to only penetrate teh "bodywork" as captive nuts are often pre-mounted just behind.

Thoughtfull, huh...??

Although my state, WA, requires a front plate I always have a recent re-order of the front custom, personalized plate, in the car just in case.....

re-order costs ~$13 every 3-4 months.

Damn, where did I lose or misplace that front one....??
    That's interesting. I've been assuming that you just screw the plate or holder into the foam of the front bumper and hope it doesn't pull out of the plastic bumper cover.

I wonder if you could pinpoint the captive nut with a stud finder?
    Thanks for your reply!

The distance between dimples is even larger than my plate! It sounds ridiculous but it is true.

I can drive to the dealer but it is too far away. I am not confident to get it done without hurting the body so I will let local garage to do it...

sigh....troublesome!
    Sorry, didn't think of that.

Because of the curvature, vertical curvature, of the bumper there is usually an adapter included with a new car purchase. The adapter fits the holes and then has the correct, standard, mounting holes for the license plate.
    If there are no dimples the likelihood of the captive nuts being in place is probably ZERO.
    thank you wwest.

I called the dealer and they said no such adaptor needed for Rav4.Only corolla need such a thing. That is absurd. But they did not mind if I could drive my car there and let them install it. Well, I know the dealer is 80miles away so I just asked a local garage to install the plate to the front bumper directly.

Oooops, hopefully my hassles end here.
    I am more often the source of information for dealer's staff, especially technical staff, than otherwise. In many cases I have had to prove, make my point, via publishing information from techinfo.toyota.com and providing the information to the Toyota, Lexus, Chrysler, or Ford technical staff.

Or even Porsche for that matter, but their arrogance does not allow them to take any corrective action.
  • leek_cosleek_cos Member Posts: 1
    Wifes RAV4 died at an intersection. Would restart at first but barely run (no power). Found fuel pump not running. Cut out relay is OK but does not get an activation from the ECM/ PCM. Can jumper the relay and run the fuel pump but engine will not start. Suspect ECM / PCM is keeping ignition or injectors off also. What conditions must be met for the ECM / PCM to allow the fuel pump to run? Hate to replace the ECM / PCM unless I know it is bad.
  • carperson1carperson1 Member Posts: 3
    I had an awful time with Toyota Today--mostly the corporate customer service 800# -- and the World Toyota Dealership in Atlanta, GA. I was so upset by their customer "no service" that I have decided to never buy another Toyota and to tell all my friends not to buy them. So, My RAV4/2006 began making the thunking/popping noise when I turned the wheel a couple of weeks ago--so I took it into the dealership yesterday. They said that it was a rack and pinion problem and would cost me $1021. The car is only a little over 2 years old but does have 49000 miles on it--so is no longer within warranty. I thought maybe they would extend the warranty since it was such a big problem and the car is still relatively new. I called the corporate 800 # and they said too bad--I was out of warranty range. Then I did some research on my own and found that it wasn't a rack and pinion problem but a steering shaft column. The dealership said oh, ok--I guess they had a more senior mechanic take a look at it originally?? And now it would cost $653. Hmmm...that's about a $400 misdiagnosis. Good thing I have the internet.

I am still miffed that this is a problem that Toyota knows about and has issued the TSB about...but I still have to pay for it. I wish I had known while I was still within my warranty at least.

Hopefully, this repair will fix the problem. I still feel cheated and "taken" and feel that I am paying for a problem that they knew existed and is potentially dangerous. It is my understanding that the steering wheel can "lock up" if the issue is not corrected in time. Shouldn't this be a recall? I also thought Toyota was supposed to be an honest company, but I am not impressed
  • canam1960canam1960 Member Posts: 2
    I can't agree with you more. I emailed Toyota Corp as well as spoke with my delaership's service manager about the same problem. They both basically said the same thing about their quality / design problem, "Sorry and Good Luck"

Toyota quality is not what the trade papers think it is. It has gone down hill in a hurry. I cancelled my order on a new Venza and told the sales manager I'll look elsewhere and "Good Luck"
    Please post about your experience over in Dealer Ratings and Reviews too. Thanks!
    My new 2009 Rav4 (4wd) was towed. After I drove the car back, I felt it seemed not as "smooth" as before. I asked the towing company how they towed my car. They just said they drag it to the bed of their truck and drove their truck away.

I've asked dealer to check it for me and they told me everything is okay.

It is a new car I bought 3 weeks ago. Really feel frustrated as I do feel something maybe wrong with transmission?

Please give me some advice. I do appreciated it!!!!

:cry: :sick:
    Why the tow....??

What work was done at the dealer..??
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    Did you watch them tow it? When they did that to mine(for a dead battery which would not hold a charge, covered under warranty) the tow truck had a platform. The back end of the platform was lowered to ground level and they pulled it up with a wench and nylon ropes. The platform was then leveled. It would be all but impossible to damage your vehicle if they did this. There are example in the owners manual on how to tow your RAV4. I would guess the tow truck operator would be versed in the proper technique but anything is possible.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    "DRAG" sounds like it was towed due to illegal parking. I saw a city tow flat bed trucker dragged the car up the bed (bed was lowered to street as slope) and wheels are not moving (assume shift still in Park). Wheels are like pencil erasers rubbing on all surface it travel. I don't know whether it hurt your car or not, maybe some one here can tell.
    I lived in an apt complex. I parked my car in the parking slip which was assigned to my apt. I did not move my car after the snow so the apt management company towed my car. That sounds ridiculous to me coz I parked my car in my parking slip and I have the parking permit! Anyway, I will get the towing fees reimbursed.

The dealer checked suspension and tires. they said everything seems ok now....
    I did not see how they towed my car. I asked the towing company and they said they knew it was RAV4 so they drag the "windcheck" ( I did not hear the word clearly thru the phone) to the platform their truck. But, who knows!?

I did some research and found that if towing company did not handle it well, my car's transmission might be hurt.

Is there any way to check the transmission?I do want to have a double check at a local garage....

Thanks!
    It sounds like they dragged it with a winch to the platform.I would think that it was not too far of a drag, if snow was on the ground it could have decreased the amount of friction. Personally, I am very sensitive when it comes to my vehicles especially when they are new and so in case of such an event I would be looking for noises and or abnormalities. I have learned to take a deep breath and not focus on the negative, in the event that something was damaged the tow company could be held liable, and plan C could be go to a different toyota dealer and tell them your Rav seems to have a problem and it's under warranty...
    I have the same problem with my 2009 sport, started noticing it at about 300 miles and it now has 6000 miles. A number of forum members and I went back and forth about this topic in messages beginning around #607. Never resolved the issue I wrote a two page letter to corporate and attached another to the feedback survey they sent me. I heard nothing from them. I dont know that our next vehicle will be a toyota, probably not.
    Thank you sage3. I will go to another toyota dealer to let them check it. Will that dealer charge me even if I am under warranty?
    I don't think they would charge you to look at it. I would not offer info in terms of it being towed because if the transmission has a problem they may point the "blame finger" at the tow company.
  • digs5446digs5446 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a certified used 2008 Rav4 base FWD w/ 13.5K miles. I also got the extended comprehensive warranty that will give me another 6+ years, on top of the 7-year powertrain, and I plan to follow the factory maintenance religiously. I'm going to get all of my service done at the dealership, both for peace of mind and because it's a beautiful, huge, brand new state-of-the-art facility...it's the biggest and most highly rated and awarded Toyota dealership in New England (Acton Toyota of Littleton).

Anyway, in terms of tire care, whether it be rotation and balance, alignments, repairing flats or road hazard blowouts which require new tires, would you recommend that I stick to the dealership or use a tire place like NTB (known as Tire Kingdom in some regions)? We use NTB for my wife's 2002 Acura TL which is out of warranty, and we've been happy with them so far. Their tires are priced a little high (compared to Tire Rack, Sears), but if you pay an extra $27 for the "King Royal Service" you get free flat repairs and tire rotation for life, and if you have a blowout due to road hazard they will refund you a prorated amount.

I'll only be putting about 7,000 miles a year on my Rav4 and I drive conservatively and keep an eye on my tire pressure. When I bought it the dealer tried to sell me on a 5-year tire program with similar benefits for $499. Seems way expensive considering it would cost $108 to cover all 4 tires at NTB, and you might not ever need to use it on all 4 tires in 5 years, hopefully. I will also need to have snow tires mounted and unmounted every year, and I know different places charge widely variable amounts for that. I plan on getting a tire + wheel package from Tire Rack so I can keep the tires on their own rims. I imagine that should also be alot cheaper than having them remove and replace the actual tires from the rims.

Just wondering what people's experiences have been in dealing solely w/ the dealership when it comes to tires. Thanks for looking.
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    Are you familiar with Costco? The tire prices are a little lower but, at no additional cost, they will rotate and balance for the life of the tire. They will also properly patch a tire that has a flat. And the tires are warranted if they can not be patched. The dealer charges about $25 to rotate the tires and balancing costs even more. So once you need new tires, and it may be awhile, I would go to Costco. In the meantime, it is up to you. Costco's across the country stand by the warranty. As far as alignment, when I need one, I have gone to Firestone and buy the lifetime alignment. By the time you get your second alignment, you are way ahead.

The prices for the service at the dealer is very high. Here they have packages and a list of services. It runs in the $300-500 range for the interval they determine need more than an oil change and tire rotation. If you compare the list to what Toyota recommends, it goes way beyond the recommendation. Their pitch here is you paid so much for the vehicle, you should do all these services to protect you investment. At the major points(15k intervals, I think), I pick some of things off their list and skip the rest.

Good luck to you.
  • digs5446digs5446 Member Posts: 3
    I am familiar with Costco - I actually got a coupon in the mail for $70 off a set of 4 Michelins. Unfortunately though, I am not a member and in order to use the lifetime services that come w/ the tires you have to remain a member. Perhaps if we had a couple kids it might be worthwhile, but for now I've done fine with bulk grocery shopping at Target. Plus, when I did an online search at Costco's site to see what tires they had that would be compatible with my Rav, I came up w/ a goose egg.
  • nefarmernefarmer Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tool advice. Did a first oil change yesterday on a RAV4 we just purchased and that saved alot of time and hassles. :)
  • stratusnj75stratusnj75 Member Posts: 1
    Adding a new member to the family in 6 months and need more seats in the car. Have a 2006 4wd Rav4 but did not purchase the model with the folding 3rd row seats. Was wondering if it is possible to add them after the fact or did I have to order that specific model?

Thanks,

Devin