Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma General Shopping Questions

2»

Comments

• ddigglerddiggler Member Posts: 17
    I found that when buying cars from dealers that the used cars often were more expensive then the new cars. This could be due to factory incentives? So if you want used over new then I would suggest you not shop dealers and check your local newspaper, Ebay, etc. If you're in Cal email me and I can recommend a dealer who gave me no haggling prices on a 2006 4x4 Tacoma access cab. I spent months shopping, visiting dealers, calling around etc.

I had a really bad experience at the Ventura CA Toyota dealer.
    I took a walk on the lot and as expected was attacked by what seemed a new salesman. He walked me around the lot, they had plenty of truck but not exactly what I wanted. I agreed to a test drive, which is what I wanted to do. Then they switched the sales person and I took my drive with another guy. He gave me this long spiel about how that day they had a special Toyota was putting on and for every one car they sold Toyota would replace it with two. So I could make an offer for almost anything and it would be accepted. OH BOY! So after the test drive I told the salesman I was interested but they did not have the exact model I wanted "Well if we gave you a SUPER low price would you buy this one?". The difference would be the same truck however a Sport package instead of an OFF Road package. SURE I told him, then into the dealer and office we went. Now to my surprise another sales person (Number 3) arrives, he takes a seat, looks young and unexperienced, starts out at regular price, I explain that Salesman 2 told me to come inside and I would be given a super low price. Ok so he starts to drop the price $100 then $200 and finally $500. He asks why I don't want to pay that price and that is what most people pay. I tell him A. it's not the exact truck. B. Salesman 3 told me about this special Toyota day deal. He tells me to wait and 10 minutes later Salesman No. 4 arrives. This guy now seems like the veteran salesman, who asks me "Do you really want to buy a truck today?". YES, but what is the price,"Well I can't tell you that until you commit to buy". That's funny you want me to commit to buying a truck without knowing the price first, I can't agree to that. Well then we can give you a price. Why? Cause you might take that price and shop it.

Intesting concept that this dealer is using, im 49 years old and have bought dozens of cars over the years, even Toyota and I have never heard of commiting to buy before you know the price. The next day I bought my truck from another dealer, EXACTLY what I wanted in options and a fairly low price. I actually did better shopping the web emailing dealers for prices then walking in. However the dealer that sold me my truck, I did walk in before email contact and there was not haggling, he showed me invoice, gaave me the figures and costs and total and stuck to that. He did not care that I still shopped his quote.
  • bcolombobcolombo Member Posts: 2
  • bcolombobcolombo Member Posts: 2
    I'm in N/E Ohio and am getting close to buying either a DC or AC with the TRD off road package. The dealer I went to said the Toyota is stingy with rebates (right now the $500 rebate is all thats out there) however I've heard that manufacturer's will offer better rebates around the time of the auto shows. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks.
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    I have been researching and deciding which truck to get??!!
    I think I am going to get the 4x4 crew cab with Trd-off road edition
    If I'm going to get a pick up truck, I'm going to get something that COOKS!!!

I saw a lot of posting on this sites and other sites, I was at the toyota dealers on a sunday so they wont bother me and looked at the sticker price on that truck. Its around 30,000
    It went up from the last yr model!

Anyway, I saw that one guy got the trd-sport for like $26500 with extra options
    do you guys think I can get it too???

I did alot of research of dealer invoice cost of the trd-off rd.
    I dont know if I believe it or not what it says on the computer.

What do you guys think? How much would you guys pay for a 4x4 crew cab trd-off rd
    $26500 would be great deal eh! I'll probably get the tonneau top too!
    I live in NJ guys. Need some insight and quidance!!
    I bought a 2006 4X4 V6 Access cab, with the TRD off road package, Towing package and floor mats. (I did not want the floor mats but they are part of the Toyota invoice). In any event the salesman I used told me that the same truck as a 2007 was not much more ($100-$500) but they did not offer the $1000 rebate as the 2006 models. I see that 2007 models have some changes, while slight they do have some changes. They also get 1 MPG better city then a 2006, the other figures remain the same. You also have to buy a first aid kit for a 2007 that you did not for a 2006.

List for my 2006 was $28,870 with all options
    I paid $25,266, plus $86 dealer profit

Then add tax, Doc fee $45, DMV $258 and $9 Tire fee

So use the above discount as a starting point, I would not think the 2007's went up more then $200 from that or 1%.

Good Lick, im in California so it would not make sense for me to give you the salesman and dealer info to buy from them as im sure they could do this same deal for you. Email me via my profile if needed.
    so how much was the truck total cost?

tire fee? document Fee?
    I dont think I'm going to pay for that! Document fee is a BS fee where they got nothing else to do but charge us to do the paperwork?!!
    That would piss me off!!!

how do you tell how much they are making on the truck on profit?
    I saw KBB and edmunds dealer invoice cost, but how do i know it is true and real?

the truck actually went up like $2000

I having research since 2006 comparing with Nissan Frontier Nismo

It was above $28000 with the options i wanted in 2006 then in 2007 it was over $30000!! BS!!!

I dont care too much of the 6 disc charge, but I do want the AUX so i can plug in my i-pod.

They should give out the weather mat, they are like $20 at costco.

my ideal truck is pretty much like yours but with crew cab!
    We all will walk into a dealer and refuse to pay certain fees.
    You'll have to end up using the old "start walking out" when you refuse to pay one of the minor fees. When it came down to it for me I was looking at $26000. By the way my above post is what I paid, plus you have to add in sales tax, which was 8.25 in Cal. So I was OTD out the door tax included for $27,515 to be exact.

Floor mats are in fact a rip off and a Toyota manufacturer rip off, I sold mine on Ebay and spent the $20 on the Costco mats. While they did fit perfect as opposed to the Costco mats they're not worth the invoice of $104 which by the way also includes some small door sil protectors. The dealer might deduct the mats if you held them to it. Ask them to keep the mats but they can't take out the door sil protectors.

Im told that Totyota pays the dealer another 2-3% hidden profit we don't see. Im sure their are some other incentives for them besides that. You can take the INVOICE above $25,266 (which also includes the $605 destination fee) as invoice, then refuse to pay another penny and see what happens when you head to the door. Don't forget that the Tacoma is a popular truck, so they may not care. In fact some of their other products like the CJ and the Prius, you can forget about haggling since if you won't buy it the next guy will.

You don't have to buy the 6 disk player, I saw it as an option and not part of the Off Road package. I did not have it in my truck, I'll replace the factory radio anyway, it does play Mp3's but is pretty much junk. Go to your local (large) news stand and I think Consumer Reports has an Auto Guide that lists the invoice prices. I also looked at the Nissan but it seemed cheaply made and did not have the resale or reputation of Toyota.

When it comes down to it, they don't have to sell it to you.
    You don't have to buy it. How much should they make on a $27,000 truck? $100? I doubt that, even if I paid $1000 to-much as profit I did not feel cheated.

Good Luck
    TOYOTA has a rebate going on for all 2006 Tacoma's
    Get $2,500 cash back on a new 2006 Tacoma
    Till 02/28/2007

If you can still find the 2006 you want this is a huge reduction.
    Boy, the good old routine on walking out of the dealer to get the deals you want works most of the time I guess.

It looked you got a signaficant amount of money off the access cab!

What did you show to the dealer for them to say "ok I'll sell you this amount about invoice"?

I know tacoma is a very popular truck, but i see them everywhere online and dealers,
    They still compete each other for the truck.

NJ has ghetto cities where tax is only 3.5 % as opposed regular 7%
    It was 6% befiore until the governor raised it!!! DAMN U!!!

I guess i also need to run this with my insurance to find out how much is this going to cost me!

I dont think there's any 2006 tacoma around for the those rebates!
    On the west coast (California) they charge sales tax depending where you live, not where you buy. If I were you I would start with figuring out which truck you wanted, what options and packages, color etc. Then try to find out the invoice. If you can post those details I'll try and post the invoice.

Then contact some dealers via the internet in your area. I started with sending other dealers within 100 miles of where I live with my lowest price.

I just saw a story on the web about how NJ had the highest car insurance in the nation.

Some dealers won't want to give a lowest price until you commit to buy, which I found to be odd. For example in Ventura Ca the dealer came right out and told me "you need to commit to buy before I give you any prices". Who ever heard of that, being forced to commit to say YES you'll buy the truck and then they start to give prices. I walked when I got wind of this. Most dealers when contacted via the web gave me pretty low competitive prices and from those I was able to narrow it down to what was a fair price.

Im sure their are still 2006's sitting out there, while not many this is why Toyota offers the $2500 rebate to clear these last remaining trucks. Any dealer can do a truck search and find that last truck, then do a dealer trade for it.
    well, now I live in central jersey, pretty close to nyc, in a couple of weeks I'm moving down to south jersey for office transfer and moving in with the girlfriend,

There is a town in South jersey called Vineland, where sales tax is only 3.5%
    Only the Poor community get that deal! Paterson, and Elizabeth are also the only towns in new jersey gets that deal too.
    Of course there's a toyota dealer in vineland, NJ so i can save some money on that but i drove by it one day, Talk about run down, beat up trashy dealer!!! But hey, is a dealer
    I'm sure they are shady!!

I want the Crew Cab 4x4 with Trd-Off rd package plus the tow package.
    Color radiant red! Or Black Mica!

NJ is # 1 highest insurance in the nation and #1 in property tax! Politicans f-ed it all up!!! I kinda want to move out of the state sometimes thou.

I went to a dealer on sunday to see the truck, you can't even tell what yr it is because the sticke doesn't say it.

On the Nissan sticker said what yr it was but not the tacoma! I think the only way to tell is to open the door and look at the side panel

Oh if the dealer around here trying to commit me to buy to the truck in order to get price! I'll give them the finger and walk away!

Anyway, I'm not in a super rush to get the truck! I really dont know when i want to get it. I'll wait as long as August for the clearance time. I want to say more money for a huge down on it.

what did u do? buy the truck whole? finance with trade?
    The sticker for my 2006 had the year clearly in the top portion of the sheet. Perhaps in California the stickers differ as I've seen a few 2007 models which also had the year on the sticker.

You failed to state one important thing (manual or auto transmisson). Also be aware some, (almost every truck I saw) had the floor mats listed on the sticker, so you might get stuck with buying them. Im also told that in 2007 they force you to now buy a $100 first aid kit. So im listing AUTO transmission prices.

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Double V6 AT
    Invoice* MSRP*

$23,126.00 $25,515.00 Base
    $2,445.00 $3,045.00 Off Road Package
    $645.00 $645.00 Destination
    $520.00 $650.00 Towing Package
    $126.00 $199.00 Floor Mats and Door Sils

Total the above items for your starting point.

I put down 10K and Toyota financed the rest for 7% interest.
    I did not have a trade in.

So if the total below changes from all the figures above it may be due to the first aid kit, however below are the totals I got from online info for the truck you listed.

Invoice* MSRP*
    Base $23,126.00 $25,515.00
    Options $3,091.00 $3,894.00
    Destination $645.00 $645.00
    Total $26,862.00 $30,054.00

Good Luck
    yeah, I'll probably take a automatic because the woman can't driver stick. I would like a manual because it saves little bit of gas and down shifting too

So you think i can get the truck for $27000?
    I mean if you got it for $100 above invoice. I'm sure i can get this, of course i have to find a Shady salesman to do it.

if you dont mind me asking, how much do you pay a month? and how many yrs?

I have been doing the math, I probably looking for a 3-4 yrs payment. They better not have a penalty if i pay it earlier!!
    With $10k down on a balance of $16k I had payments of about $350 a month for 5 years. With Toyota Credit
    http://www.toyotafinancial.com/index.jsp

They don't have a penalty for early payoff.

The prices I listed are WITH auto transmission. I love the 5 speed auto on my Tacoma, with so many speeds you can down shift and up shift with almost the same benefits as a manual transmission. MPG's were not that different from an auto and a manual. I think $27 would be a best deal but anywhere under $28 would be good.
    my co-worker sits next to me also looking for a new vehicle. He's brother works for a dealer as a parts manager in Nissan.
    He is telling if you dont do the math, they would add in $10 or whatever small amounts to ur monthly payments.

He told me, Pick up trucks interest can be lower because that's how they are. You can get it for 5%. He said the toyota website doesn't have the state added on to your calculation. So he showed me on the edmunds to calculate how it comes down to. Which is not bad... I just need to put a bigger down.

I know the end of the year sales, they would have an awesome APR rates.

Where did u find out about the rebate on the 06? Do you need to buy the vehicle at a curtain time to get this rebate?
  • 03gtiturbo03gtiturbo Member Posts: 11
    For those of you who don't know how to tell what model year a vehicle is, check the tenth digit of the VIN #. If it is 6, it's a 2006 model. If it's a 7, it's a 2007 model. I don't remember all of the letters used from 1981 to 1999, but there were a few letters skipped. Keep one thing in mind, though....if you buy a 2006 model, I would recommend that you buy GAP insurance. The reason being is that this is Feb/March 2007. If you bought a brand new 2006 model truck, left the sales lot, and your truck was hit and totaled on the way home, your truck would be paid off as a 2006 year truck, not as a 2007....basically you will take the hit for a full year's depreciation immediately. Same goes for if you decide you need to sell it in the next few months for some reason. Just something to keep in mind...
  • max2006max2006 Member Posts: 4
  • 67camero67camero Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for a new truck and have decided on a '07 Tacoma in Silver or Impulse Red.

PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB
    Sport Package #1
    JBL (maybe)
    Towing Package (Maybe)

I am using the truck for light hauling - Local shipping and delivery for my business. As well as a second vehicle for me and my family of 4 (plus our Golden Retriever).

Here are my thoughts.. correct me or recommend something if you think it may be helpful.

I did not choose 4X4 since I do not intend to off-road...

I chose the Sport package for the looks and larger wheels and extra goodies it comes with. I think it is a good package for the money.

Do I need towing package? It really is not too much extra $ so I do not care either way...although I doubt I will ever tow anything (but you never know).

Is the JBL system is decent? I prob would not buy after market stereo or add on. So I think I will get the JBL stereo.

Are there any other extras I should get?

Anyone know and good dealers in NC area... I am willing to fly or drive to save some $$??

Thanks in advance.. There is a good finance rate going on here 3.9% .. So I am buying before April 30, 07.
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    I'm having looking at tacoma for quit sometimes,
    I have been saving my money for it,

Where did you get that rate 3.9%???
    from a bank or credit union?

My configuration my tacoma costs more! I want Double cab with trd off-rd, automatic, 4x4 (i have snow here in NJ) and tow in case I need to move something.

I'm looking to pay around $26,000
    I see the special financing on Toyota.com and also saw TV commercial today.. must be a regional promo.>

Toyota's www site: In lieu of customer cash. 0.0/1.9/2.9/3.9 annual percentage rate financing on all new 2007 Tacoma models with respective terms of 24/36/48/60 months based on approved credit through Southeast Toyota Finance. Must complete retail sale and delivery between 04/03/07 - 04/30/07.
    After a bit more looking... I may decide against the TRD Sport package. It may sound silly.. but I do not care for the fake hood scoop.

Also after more reading.. I prefer a softer ride and see that the sport model is stiffer suspension.

So now.. I need to decide whether to go for the TRD Off Road ?
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    67camero,
    You won't get a softer ride with the TRD Off Road package. Trust me, I had one, a 2006 and the ride will bounce you all over the cabin. If the Sport suspension is stiff as well as the Offroad, you will be better off with the SR5 regular suspension package.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I'm also in the market for an 07 Tacoma. I sold my 06 for a Camry sedan, but now I realize I need a truck for doing things around the home. I was looking on setbuyatoyota.com and found the same specials you mentioned, 3.9% for 60 months. I'm looking to buy before the end of the month to take advantage of this special.

As far as 4x4, I don't offroad either, but it's good to have for unstable conditions such as slippery ground, mud, snow and other elements. I would opt for the tow package. My 2006 TRD offroad came with it and had I kept it longer, I would have put it to use. Once again, sooner or later, it will come in handy. As far as the stereo, you'll have to make that call. I'm happy with the sound the base unit puts out. I hope this helps you with your decision.
    yes .. The financing is attractive. I wonder if they will be extending it into May. So I may pull the trigger this week!

I finally decided on 07 DC Prerunner (4X2) with TRD O/R... this model seems to always come with TOW package. So looks like now it is time to chose color.

As for color...I have been thinking about the Indigo Blue... But my practical side is pushing me towards Silver or White.

Time to make final decision.
  • darylpdarylp Member Posts: 2
    Hi all -

I'm wanting a 07 Tacoma V6 4x2 SR5 Access Cab with black grill, bumper and fenders and NOT the chrome package. Unfortunately only the 4x4's seem to have that option. The dealership says that the truck with the options I want (or rather, don't want) can't be special ordered, but they will give me "the best deal possible, on the SR5 with the chrome package.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I going to have to suck it up and just not get exactly what I want?

Thanks in advance!

Daryl
  • leeharvey418leeharvey418 Member Posts: 38
    The problem is you're asking for an SR5. The chrome trim is an integral part of the SR5 package. If you're looking for the matte finish (unpainted plastic) grille and fender flares, you should be able to do that. I've seen all manner of Access Cab Tacomas without the SR5 trim (4x4 in both I4 and V6, 4x2 I4, possibly PreRunner, though you can't tell passing on the highway). I would guess that the salesman with whom you've been speaking either A) can't make this connection or B) wants to sell you what he has rather than what you want. Either way you should take your business elsewhere (at least to the dealer's fleet manager).
  • wcs2wcs2 Member Posts: 2
    why can i not get a 2007 tacoma double cab sr5 package #2 in speedway blue. all the double cabs are either trd off road or trd sport. i want just a plain sr5. can i not get that?
  • wcs2wcs2 Member Posts: 2
  • uncalumnusuncalumnus Member Posts: 11
    I know here in the Southeast USA (NC)speedway blue is not available unless you select the TRD or X Runner. I am also fond of that color, but alas I have had to choose another.
  • chomama1chomama1 Member Posts: 15
    I like the 17" wheels on the Sport and also the limited slip differental. I don't think I need that lock up that the Off Road has. Any other thoughts, Im buying this month.
  • nriesennriesen Member Posts: 1
    You're assessment is correct.

TRD-Sport is very similar with the acception of the items that you described. The Limited slip diff is better in 2WD snow driving since the power will be moved from a spinning wheel to the wheel with traction on the rear axle. You will be happy that you went this direction.
    Where are you buying?
    Probably in Winchester, VA. Trade in on my F350 diesel was pretty good. The only sport they have is a dark blue, can't stand the color, so I'm waiting for next shipment. I don't like the tires on the Sport, but I can always put all terrain on later. I saw no difference in the ride of the Sport and the Off Road. At first I was looking for a cherry pre-2005 because I like the body style better, but I am really impressed with the new engine, so i'm going new.
  • ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    I agree fully that the limited slip is a beneficial difference between the Sport and Off-Road. I can actually feel the limited slip working in a variety of situations but I would rarely use the locking diff of the Off-Road model.
  • datovitsdatovits Member Posts: 5
    hey anybody hear clicking sounds from the engine? I hear clicking sounds from the right side of the engine when facing the engine from the front? could this need valve adjustment or is this normal? my truck is a 4x2 '07 double cab new 700 miles only. help can anyone let me know if they have the same sound! thanks.
  • bonemancoinbonemancoin Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I have the very same noise. and I have 7 Thousand miles on mine. Did not have it at first. took it to the dealership. said it was Normal. I do not like it. going to take it to someone else. Toyota said it was Fuel injectors. sounds like a problem to me.
  • gcrabgcrab Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a tacoma, 05 or newer, 4x4 4 door and am not sure what i want so I have a few questions.1. It seems that everyone agrees that the trd off road is the best off road rig, but how do the sport and sr5 do off road? 2. Most discussions seem to be about the sport vs. off road, how does the sr5 stack up to these two? Is it worth the extra dollars for the upgrade? Are there any other major differences between the three that are worth talking about, I would love to hear anyones opinions on these issues. Note that this will be a daily driver where the weather is good, but I do want the ability for bad weather driving and some off roading for camping, hunting, fishing, etc...
  • gcrabgcrab Member Posts: 2
  • cwbykishicwbykishi Member Posts: 3
    dude i just got an 2008 tacoma double cab trd off road and i hear a clicking sound... it goes..with acceleration.. i took it to the dealer today with 1400 miles on it..and they said it was the valves and it was supposed to soudn that way. . i made the technician ride with me and thats what he told me. i dont really like it..... cause my chevy didnt have it.. ..and my 90 mazda did but i sold it..and it was a 4 cylinder.

do you still have the clicking???? anyone else have that clicking and did you guys get it resolved????

eric
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    One of the things you need to do is familiarize yourself with the frame rust problems experienced by owners of trucks of the vintage you're talking about. URL is http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1200e2/465 You don't want to commit to a truck that is going to be taken off the road in a few months due to frame rust. Also the edmunds.com used car buying tools are very useful to figure out about what you should be paying.
  • dr1verdr1ver Member Posts: 1
    09 tacoma, 4-cyl, same thing. I am about to go to a different dealer and test drive a different one, just see if the noise is there. When I drive and see a new (05-09) tacoma, I stick my head out the window, to see if I can hear it. I think I am noticing it on others... kind of difficult at some speeds... This sucks!!! It does sound like valves...
This discussion has been closed.