Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy 4WD Problems

Comments

• woodsman3woodsman3 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 jimmy with the automatic button. The check 4x4 light came on for a min. or so and went out. The wife was coming home and put it in 4 auto and was fine, when she got to a really bad roar she tried to put it into 4x4 hi but it went into 4 lo. Then it would not come out. when she got home and told me I went to check it out and it went right into 4x4 hi, then I pushed 4x4 auto and it went ito that. I pushed 4x4 hi again and it went ito lo and will not come out. What is up with this . I guess I need some help bad. thanks
  • foxracer1foxracer1 Member Posts: 9
    hi this is brian i also have a 2000 jimmy 4x4 im also haveing the same type of prob i was told to check the vacuum actuator its under the battery try its got a vacuum hose and a cabel leaver check that and see if it holds when u push it in hold ur finger over the vacuum hole and it should stay in if not thats ur prob also follow the vacuum line up the the fire wall and ull see a peace with to hoses on it with a wire that gose to ur 4wd lights in side hope i helped u. im haveing the same problem mine wont lock in to 4wd and my lights aren't comeing on at all hope i helped good luck
    i have a 2000 gmc jimmy i'm having problems trying to get the 2wd back i changed the tccm computer on the kick panel did that because the lights in side didn't work because i went in water with my truck now the lights are back on but its saying its in 4wd lo and will not come back out i hit the buttons the just flash and go's back to 4wd lo can hear it trying to go in to 2wd but nothing happen check all vacuum and vacuum actuator under the battery tray all good followed vacuum line from actuator up to fire wall all looks good not sure if thats the problem the hoses going to the fire wall looks good don't no if its working right any one have any clue what may be wrong :mad:
  • parker9parker9 Member Posts: 2
    i have the 3 button style with 2 hi, 4 hi, and 4low. I've read all the postings in this section so i have already checked the vacuum lines and there ok , the actuator under the battery tray is working, i can hear the transfer case motor changing when i select 4 hi so i assume that is working also. but only the rear wheels are spining in the snow. any suggestions ???
    i finally got mine working, I found out it was the puttons in the dash, I replaced them and now it works. :)
  • mandy252mandy252 Member Posts: 2
    My 4x4 lights keep flashing and not allowing me to press any of them.
    I've disconnected the battery but still nothing.

Also, the head gasket just went and we replaced it, but now the truck is running rough, like there is a vacuum loose. Any suggestions.

Thanks
    Jenn
    hey this is brian when u did the head gasket did u check to make sure the timeings on look and make sure its TOD to dead senter the timeing markes on the crank also check the TCCM on the pass side kick panel if u have any more Qess let me now ill try to help u out the best i can brian
    hi this is brian did u check the plug on the diff to make sure the ball moves in and out like it should check that bc i had to check mine not sure if urs has it but dont hurt to look its next to the cable for the actuator its a plug and goes in to the diff look at that hope i may have helped if u may now y my jimmy wont go out of 4wd lo hit me up thanks brian
  • prm1prm1 Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 GMC SLT 4wd crapped out on me tonight. A few good klunks and then I can barely move. Sounds like a gear is grinding, like it can't quite engage. If I am stopped with the brake on and put it in either drive or reverse, something starts turning and making the same grinding sound. My best guess is that it was coming from the rear, but it was also raining hard so I haven't had a chance to listen to it from outside.

It has been making some occasional klunking noises the last few weeks. It has also developed an annoyingly loud whine that goes along with wheel speed, and isn't affected by turning, braking, accelerating or shifting. The whine may be a secondary problem caused by wheel bearings, UJs or the like.

Any ideas? Transmission? Rear differential? Something else? I've got to tow it, so what kind of shop should I take it to? I'd take it home if it was something that could be rebuilt in place, but I don't feel like dropping a tranny. Any suggestions? I have been wholly unimpressed with the dealer in terms of both price and service (I am in San Diego).
  • dave1965dave1965 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, seems we all have similar problems with these GMC's ........ hoping someone can add some advice for me.
    1998 GMC Jimmy, 4WD, 3.8 V-6, Automatic Trans .......
    2 problems ....... replaced my transmission back in January .... it had been "banging" going into 2nd gear after driving a bit and everything was heated up, then began slipping and eventually went completely.Got a junk yard unit and installed and all was good for about 10 months ....... recently this transmission has begun doing the SAME thing ..... 15 minutes of highway driving usually and the first stop you come to ...... shifts VERY hard and bangs into second. Check engine light comes and goes. Someone told me there is a valve that sticks for the lock up torque converter and it needs to be replaced. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

2nd ........ my 4WD operates however ....... there is ALWAYS vacuum applied to the vacuum cable actuator located under the battery. I removed the vacuum line for now so i can drive in 2WD and if I need 4WD I have to re-apply the vacuum hose.
    Does anyone think perhaps the 3 port vacuum switch located on the top of the transfer case could be stuck or damaged allowing vacuum there all the time? I have removed the connector and made sure it is on the right position. It is keyed so it would be difficult at best to put it on wrong. If this is a good possibility ....... is it difficult to replace by yourself or does this have to go to a shop? I saw the switch on line for between 25 and 35 dollars.

Thanks all for any input I can get and good luck to you all!
  • prm2000prm2000 Member Posts: 17
    Following up, it is definitely in the rear. It seems most likely to be coming from inside the transfer case. I tried putting it in 4lo and it would move, but would make a horrible klunk after 4 or 5 feet, and I could visibly see the rear axle (I was on the right side) move awkwardly when it klunked. That was my last test, and then I had it towed home.

Does anyone know if that is something I could reasonably look at myself without a bunch of specialty tools? I have rebuilt several engines, replaced cv joints, rotors, and wheel bearings, but I have never cracked a transmission or a transfer case. Would you normally rebuild it in place, or replace the whole thing? Has anybody had to deal with this problem, to give an idea of the cost to repair?

Thanks
    check and see if you have the vac switch in the middle if the fire wall, my hose was broken there and lights were flashing.
  • mandy252mandy252 Member Posts: 2
    Ok it was the intake gasket my husband replaced, not the head gasket..and then he found out why it was running rough...he accidently bent a couple of the "fuel injector jets"...fixed and now is well.

As for the flashing lights for the 4 wheel..i'll have him check the vac switch as woodsman3 suggested. Thanks for the advice!

Jenn
  • nodnarb8612nodnarb8612 Member Posts: 3
    ok i have a 1992 jimmy and i cant get the 4x4 working and i was woundering if there is a way do engage it maunley
  • moneypit07moneypit07 Member Posts: 2
    3 button 4wd would not switch into 4hi or lo until the other day it went into 4hi and now it won't disengage... similar problem as others, lights on dash will just blink... spent hours reading forums trying to make sense of it all cuz i can usually teach myself how to fix things... so here is my progress and q's

replaced TC switch on TC motor, the old switch was definitely shot and there is vacuum to the actuator under the battery tray, when the hose is disconnected the cable moves, afterwards disconnected the battery in an attempt to reboot the TCCM to no avail

1. since the dash lights are responding correctly as to whether or not 4wd is engaged/disengaged does that mean the sensor on the front diff is working properly?
    2. because i have vacuum to the actuator then the lines should be good, right?
    3. where and what are any other sensors or switches i need to check?
    4. how do i tell if the encoder motor or the TCCM (i hear clicking when button on dash is pushed) is bad?

any help is appreciated
  • moneypit07moneypit07 Member Posts: 2
    dave, seems we have the same issue... just replaced the 3 port vacuum switch... to say it nicely it was a major pain... all it took was a 7/8 wrench but it was hard to see and to get to... its only $15 at autozone... maybe it'll work for you
    ok so when i push the 4x4 button (two way button) nothing happens i can hear something clicking it sounds like its coming from the glove box area but it wont engage....so i put a junkyard actuator in it and it worked kinda the light showed 4wd but i dont think i was in it, the right side back tire would just spin so i played with the button repedly pushed it and know im back where i started and any one help me it starting to get frustrating.
  • chrome_eaglechrome_eagle Member Posts: 4
    I have similar issue my oo jimmy goes into auto 4 wheel when first started up, but as soon as u go around block service 4wd light comes on and auto stops working sometimes, local mechanic put on comp. and said rear actuator was bad which I think that is encoder motor but I thought encoder was only for 4 low engagement does this sound like axle switch or under battery actuator, or what, someone can help me? thanks chrome_eagle
    I have similar issue my oo jimmy goes into auto 4 wheel when first started up, but as soon as u go around block service 4wd light comes on and auto stops working sometimes, local mechanic put on comp. and said rear actuator was bad which I think that is encoder motor but I thought encoder was only for 4 low engagement does this sound like axle switch or under battery actuator, or what, someone can help me? thanks chrome_eagle
    I have 00 jimmy and 4wd works fine on start up but when you drive about 100 feet 4wd service light comes on and then will not disengage from 4 wheel unless I shut off car and re start,. Local mechanic put on comp. and came up with rear actuator on T-case but I think that is the encoder motor right? And isn't that only for the 4 - low engagement so I thought maybe it might be switch under battery or front axle switch maybe someone can help??? thanks chrome_eagle
  • smittyj1smittyj1 Member Posts: 1
    When I actuate the switch I can hear the relays under the dash and I think I can hear the motor do something , the lights blink but nothing happens .
    Any suggestions ?
  • caryb1caryb1 Member Posts: 11
    Will put into 4wd high or auto and after driving a while the light will start to flash and have to put back into 2 wd. Changed the actuator. I have been told by several maintence people that it sounds like a vacuum leak. Need specs on vacuum system, size and length of hose to be ran. Chilton repair manual doesn't say much on this subject if any. Transaxle case was low on fluid, just filled working a little better but still doing it. Just purchased the vehicle. 1999 Jimmy. Been sitting for a while. Can this vehicle be put onto a machine to determine exactly what is wrong?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • awingsfanawingsfan Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 00 jimmy. It was setting itself in to 4 low and would not come out. I had the 4 button switch replaced and it was fine.
  • nwincentsennwincentsen Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I have a 99 GMC Jimmy that will engage in 4 wd with the auto button, not when you try to push the 4 HI button. Can't get it into 4 Lo either.
    Any ideas will be welcomed...I
    #130 in response to your question. We were told by someone on this site to change the switch on the dash (auto, 2w, 4wh, 4 wl) and we had great luck with it. Another thing that we found out. Check the transaxle fluid and make sure it is not low. ONLY use gmc brand not dextron. Dextron will become to hot. We also changed the actuator.
  • lagerplagerp Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 1996 Jimmy 4WD. The dash lights flash but would not shift into 4 Hi. But it would shift into 4 Lo. This is how I fixed it. Underneath the battery tray is a diaphragm that is vacuum contolled. I checked for leaks by blowing into the hose. It held pressure. Then applied vacuum to the diaphragm side. The diaphragm actuated, but wouldn't pull the cable. I rolled back the rubber boot and sprayed graphite lube on the inner cable. I also removed the retainer nut on the cable, (on the axle side) and srayed lube in there. Then since I was under the car, I pulled the sensor out of the axle and checked to make sure it was working with an OHM meter. I put everything back together and haven't had the problem since.
  • angler17angler17 Member Posts: 1
    My 4 wd engagement has a mind of its own it will shift at start up to 4wlow or 4whi I have to shut the off the ignition and press the buttons to get it back into auto 4w. I cannot get this truck to shift back into 2whi. I am stuck in 4wd range. please help!!!!
  • 97jimmy297jimmy2 Member Posts: 1
    i just recently bought a 1997 jimmy as kind of a basket case becuz it was all apart.it was missing the dash 4x4 switch so i went and bought one but my problem is i cant find the wires to plug it in. there are no wires cut anywhere. i have had almost all of the dash out looking for them to no avail.the only kind of harness i found that wasnt pluged in was in the dash behind the headlite switches panel could thispossibly be where the harness plugs in and then runs up to the switch. please help me
  • jerry92jerry92 Member Posts: 1
    WHEN I MASH THE BUTTON TO GO INTO 4HI IT DOESNT ENGAUGE.I HEAR THE TRANSFER CASE MOTOR TURNING,THE LIGHT FLASHES AND GOES OFF AND I ALSO HEAR THE CLICKING SOUND UNDER THE DASH.COULD IT POSSIBLY BE A BAD DASH SWITCH.IT HAS ENGAUGED BEFORE ON ITS ON WITHOUT EVEN MASHING THE BUTTON.NOW IT WONT GO INTO 4LO OR 4HI.COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.1992 GMC JIMMY 4.3 VORTECT.... THANKS..THIS IS MY FIRST 4X4 AND I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS SUBJECT....HELP!!!! :confuse:
    Ok u might want to try this under the dash on the passengers side there is a tccm (transfer case control module) try replacing that it is really easy to get to replace the wrong one it is attached to the ecm wish is a lot bigger so u will be able to tell the difference i had the same problem and that fixed my jimmy..oh ya dont forget to disconnected the battery cable be for u do this hope this helps
  • kelvinmaguirekelvinmaguire Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Disd you ever get a reply or solution to this problem?

I see the same thing with my son's Jimmy and if you found the fix, can you letme know please.
  • nwincentsennwincentsen Member Posts: 2
    No I can still get it into Auto 4WD, just not 4HI. so if that doesn't work come winter, than I will start tearing into it.
    Sorry, I have not found the solution as of yet. I have changed the accuator (by the battery), changed the switch inside on the dash ( the switch that switches to 4 wheel drive. I was looking through the questions and there was a person that had the exact same thing wrong as my jimmy and he said that it was the switch under the dash. I believe it is near the glove compartment. His is now working fine. Hopefully it will be that one. I am hoping it is not the one on the transmission. Wished I could have helped you out more. Please let me know if you come up with the solution. Haven't been working on it much, son just got married.
  • goodyguygoodyguy Member Posts: 10
    Do you have any suggestions as to what would be causing the 4wd fuse to blow when the 4-hi button is pushed on a 95 jimmy 3 button system?
    Thanks any help appreciated.

Goodyguy~
  • mwolf9000mwolf9000 Member Posts: 29
    How about a short in the wiring for the 4wd switch. Have you done anything behind the dashboard that could have effected that wiring?
    Thanks for the thought,
    I havent done anything behind the dash. However It has been raining and maybe something under the jimmy is shorting out.
    I will try to see where the wires lead to and connect to the transfer case?
    That would be a good possibility if it may be related to the wet weather. And do you have the correct amp fuse in the fuse box? My '96 uses a 20 amp and your '95 is probably the same.

And you definitely haven't done anything to the switch wires (such as installed a new stereo, etc.)? And nothing else is shorting out?
    Mine does use a 20 amp fuse. Here is what I don't understand If I disconnect the cable from the negative side of the battery wait a few minutes then reconnect the battery cable then it somehow resets and the fuse doesn't blow when the 4-hi or the 4-low
    button is pushed as long as the gear shift is in neutral. but if you push either button while in drive even while stopped the fuse blows. and the only way to get it working again is to disconnect the battery again. It used to not matter if you were in neutral or not when going to 4wd. and the owners manual agrees that you do not need to stop and shift to neutral to go to 4-hi but only when going to 4-low

any ideas?
    So does your 4wd function as long as you only touch the buttons while the car is in neutral? This is a stumper because, as far as I know, there isn't a gear-position sensor associated with the 4wd.

I still think you have a wire shorting out somewhere (causing the blown fuses). As a wild guess... what if the hot lead from the dashboard switch (going to the vacuum switch on the intake manifold) was shorting with a wire from the steering column? They might be sharing space in the same wiring harness as they pass through the firewall.

Has no one else on this board had the same problem? Or at least have better knowledge of the 4wd wiring?
    I,m stumped

Ok I took my truck to a steep dirt hill to see if the 4wd actually works.

I stopped at the bottom put my truck in neutral pushed the 4-low
    button heard the klunk sound like it engaged. The 4-low light stayed on I put it in drive and started up the hill got to a place where the back wheels were spinning I opened the door to see if the front wheels were spinning too but they weren't.

So I had to back down the hill put it in neutral pushed the 4-hi button it lit up so I tried the hill again same thing no spin from the front wheels. So what next?
  • modigitymodigity Member Posts: 4
    The cable from the 4wd actuator to the differential is rusted out. Does anyone know where I can get one other than the dealer? I checked rockauto and ebay but couldn't find it.

Thanks
  • fishel9294fishel9294 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4 door 4wd with 102,000 miles. About 2 wks ago I heard a "hum" coming from the front end when driving. Soft at first then increased slowly. In the past when I heard the hum, the hub and bearing have been replaced (all 4 around once, the 2 front again).

I went to get an inspection sticker and got rejected for safety reasons. I was told at the garage that they knew it was the h & b because they were able to move the tire (the truck was on a lift just off the ground) left/right when they grabbed it and it shouldn't do that. I was told not to drive it. A second opinion told me a tire that can be shaken left/right is either a tierod or sway bar. I also want to mention the front end is out of alignment.

I am afraid to drive it, but truly have not other means of transportation. I thought I smelled something burning when I got out of it earlier but am so hyper-aware that there is an issue, I am not sure. :blush:

Any suggestions on how best to proceed would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    fishel9294, it would help if you created a new thread with your question, and not post in someone elses thread. You aksed a completely unrelated question to the original posters question. This is called hijacking a thread. :surprise:

Don't worry, I have accidentally done this too!!! You will get a answer quicker if you create a new thread. Good luck with your problem
  • fishel9294fishel9294 Member Posts: 3
    sorry
    reposted
    thank you
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You will get a answer quicker if you create a new thread.

Not necessarily. Many members use the My Watched Items forum tool and subscribe to certain discussions and miss new ones.

CarSpace is a conversation based forum and the more general discussions (like Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair) have threads that meander all over.

Just different strokes. :)
    I see that now... still trying to get used to this forum. It is a different beast! ;)
  • 1998gmc1998gmc Member Posts: 1
    Weve been having a clunking noise in the front by the passenger side. we have been told it is the lower front ball joint. we were driving on the high way after having our ball joints greased , we started hearing a loud noise that sounded like a pop can on a bicycle tire. as we slowed down the noise slowed down with it and as we sped up the noise did. We took it to a shop they took the tire off, said it was the differential and we wanted a second opinion. drove it away and have not heard the pop can noise since, just the clunking still when we stop, turn and go over bumps. if anyone one can help,

Thanks DJ
  • kozman1kozman1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    My 4 wheel drive will not work on my 1995 GMC jimmy. Mechanic said it was the cable. I have no idea, so I go on the intenet and buy a ACDELCO US 15721261 Trans Shift Cable
    4wd ; 4-speed At (m30) ; Chevrolet (x88) ; Gmc (z88); Years:1995-1996; Per Car Qty:1; from Bestvalueautoparts. You quessed it WRONG cable.

My mechanic said the cable is about 18" to 24" long. Thats it no other info.

Does any one here have an idea what cable I need and where to get it?

Thnaks for any info
    Frank
  • kozman1kozman1 Member Posts: 5
    Also my 4 wheel drive is not the button style. Its the shifter type if that helps.

Thanks Again ,
    Frank