Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    Well here goes. Took possession ao a new 2001 DII SE7 with ACE last month. Before, driving a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have taken the JGC offroad numerous times, including rock crawling in Silverton, CO., New Mexico, Moab, Ut area, Big Ben in Texas and so on. Although it may be a bit too premature to make any difinitive comparisons, particularly since I haven't had the D offroad yet, I thought many of you would like my early impressions.

Ride: The D is a bit stiffer but certainly not unpleasantly so. There is a noticeable difference, at least with ACE, as to cornering. The J leans and sways, whereas the D is much more stable and precise. The J seems to have a slightly tighter turning circle.

Driver Position: D far superior; high seating position for good all around visibility, except view to right rear a bit obstructed by the right rear head restraint. You can cure this by raising or removing it.

Looks: Strictly personal.

Durability: Too early to tell as for the D but so far no problems. The J was a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Gas gauge, sunroof, CV joints (see offroad below), alignment that had to be specially modified, AC cooling problems, ABS system, etc. Service was even worse. Once when it died around town and had to be towed, I was told the gas gauge was defective showing 1/4 of a tank when it was actually empty. The part had to be placed on back order because this was a problem across the country and I was told they put 5 gallons of gas in it and I should fill up asap and monitor the gauge. I got exactly 5 blocks down the road and ran out of gas; it was more like they put 5 cents worth in it. See below for more dealer horror tales.

Radio/sound system; D with it's 200Ws, 12 speakers, etc wins hands down. The J Premium Sound System is no comparison.

Cup holders: Got to give this one to J. Still haven't found a suitable cup for the D front holders that doesn't knock against the AC controls either turning it off or putting it on economy. And this includes cups made for the D from British Atlantic.

Power/Acceleration: Not much difference. The J has the inline 6 and both are sufficient. I get tired of these magazine reviews saying the D is under powered. The acceleration is quick enough and I don't get left at the lights.

Gas Mileage: Whoa! 10-12, all premium, with the new D. J is 16-18 regular.

Ergonomics: Again, these mag guys write about poor ergonomics. I disagree. I have no problems finding any of the controls and am comfortable with them once learned. Same for the J.

Brakes: The J is a bit sluggish with a soft petal feel. The D is more crisp and stopping distances seem shorter and more controlled, although I haven't compared the actual specs.

Offroad: NOW we get to the meat of the matter and the reason I no longer own a Jeep. Canyonlands, UT has a pretty mean trail called Elephant Hill, which is not just a simple hill, but a trail with severe switchbacks, stair-like rock formations and the like. It is located about 40 miles from Moab. When I got there, I discovered the linkage to the transfer case was jammed and the J got stuck in neutral. I had to get under it and free up the linkage to get back into high drive. Drove back to Moab and a local mechanic fixed it. Still had enough time so drove back to Elephant Hill and traveled to our overnight campsite. Next day, almost down when this horrible grinding noise began to come from the front end. Checked and saw the front drive shaft CV joint was done in. Drove back to Moab at a top speed of 15mph (otherwise the vehicle would shake violently) on a 2 lane hwy with a posted limit of 70mph. Ask me how many 18 wheelers came close to running me over. The same Moab mechanic removed the front drive shaft and I had to detour using 2 wheel drive to Durango, CO. for repairs. FOUR, that's FOUR, days folks waiting for the part. Jeep was nice enough, though, to pay for a rental Wrangler so I could offroad in Silverton.

Next Year back at Canyonlands for the 100 mile canyon rim trail. NOT a hard trail. Camped out overnight around the 50 mile mark and don't you know it ascending a steep slope the next morning, the CV joint blew out again and I've got to go back out the way I came in because I can't get up the damn hill without 4 wheel drive, and that wasn't easy. Another trip back to Moab for removal of the front drive shaft again and the old detour to Durango. (I make this trip from New Orleans by the way.) Both the Moab mechanic and jeep service manager tell me the CV joints have not been holding up and have been fracturing due to pure stress; that a U-joint (as is in the D)would be preferable. I was told to contact my dealership when I got back.

I did get back and my dealership said they couldn't help and told me to call Chrysler directly. They were ticked the dealership wouldn't do their job and sent me to another dealer who gave me everything but a "rubber hose" police like interrogation. Luckily I videotaped the trip and was able to show no misuse of the vehicle. Chrysler promised they were developing a "beefed up" joint because of what appeared to be a widespread problem, but later said it was for the V-8's only. For me, they said the problem was that the front drive shaft apparently had not been adjusted to length properly by the factory and during replacement of the original shaft at the Durngo dealership. They wanted to check the third one that had been put in and guess what, it too was too long. Because it

was frozen in position, it too was removed and replaced with promises that the problem would not happen again. Well, to make this long story shorter, my next vacation was to Florida where the only offroading I did was the beaches of Daytona. It's no fun going offroad if you're not relatively certain your horse will get you back.

As for the D's offroad capability I can only say it will be a lot of fun to find out, and that it certainly gives the impression of being capable.

OVERALL: If you want a great set of cup holders, go with the J. Otherwise, spend a few extra dollars on the gas and get what appears to be a FAR SUPERIOR vehicle on and off the road. So far this "horse" is great.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    the cupholder in the dash is a PITA, but did you install the cupholders that should have been in the cubby box for mounting on the console? If you didn't get them you should have. On the 2002 model they did away with the dash mount and came up with an improved design for the console mount. These will fit the earlier models, but probably won't be available for a couple of months.
  • Options
    kwamedogkwamedog Member Posts: 35
    Ok, I read every post on this board before purchasing my 98 Discovery LE last Saturday. We purchased it before they did the certification because she looked so clean had been serviced at every interval and only had 24,000 miles on her. I even looked at all of the service records which showed the only previous problem being a dome light that would not turn off. Needless to say the thing has been in the shop for 5 of the past 6 days. I knew that I was purchasing a problem child but this is rediculous. During the certification they found a rear main seal leak which took two days to repair (they also told me that they went over her with a fine tooth comb). We finally brought her home tonight and had her for a total of 20 minutes (just enough time to bring her to a frinds house to show her off for the first time) when the check engine light came on. We brought her back to the dealer who proceeded to tell us that there are 250 different reasons that check engine light can come on and that it is normal. The service manager explained that she has a 96 LE (that she purchased new) that has had the check engine light come on no less than 100 times -- is this true or is this a line of crap? She also told me that I should not worry unless the check engine light flashes, thats how I'll know it is a serious problem -- Is this another line of crap because I have never heard of such a thing. To make matters even more interesting I have only given them half of the money for the car (through Land Rover financing) with the other half coming in cash on the condition that it passes muster during certification. I guess that it passed certification fairly well (based on info from nanuq I would expect to find the seal leak in the Rover) its the 20 minutes after the certification that did not go as planned. I feel like I am certainly being initiated into the club! My question is would I be better off getting out of the 98 and leasing a 2001 or are my experiences just typical of owning a Rover. Fortunatly we have a lot of warranty left and will be purchasing an extended warranty if we ever take full ownership of the truck. There is no doubt (after driving it for one day) that my wife andI want a Disco but did we make a mistake by purchasing a 98? Ah, it is so nice to vent. Anyway, I don't think that the dealer would even let us out of this one if we wanted to -- then again we still have some of there money. If somebody who has Disco experience could advise it would be appreciated. Oh and by the way, we are still waiting to hear why the check engine light did go on.
  • Options
    waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Tincup and all:

Is there an xplan discount on extended warranties? Would love to do 10 years/100,000 miles on my upcoming DII purchase.

I almost feel guilty about getting rid of the '96 DI. Almost :) Test driving the DIIs, listening to the new stereo system, feeling the tighter cornering and better acceleration, my guilt subsides rather quickly.

They're doing 3.9% financing until 8/31. I'm out of town on business until 8/28. I'm filling out the paperwork next week, have asked my friend for the PIN #, and have finalized the purchasing criteria (except for extended warranty).

As if 3+ years with the DI weren't enough, I'm getting ready to dive head first into the new Rover experience. Just hope there is water in the pool :)

Thanks - wasko
  • Options
    Brett:

Man, that is a tough one. I experienced lots of pain with my '96 between 30,000 and 55,000 miles but it's been trouble-free up to the current 78,000 miles. Just little stuff lately (brakes, pads, calipers, and brake lines due to MI salty roads).

The main reason I'm getting rid of the '96 is because it was a midwest truck. I'm ready to own a Rover for a very long time and want to be sure it's solid. My current one had heavy rust on the brake lines, has quite a bit of surface rust on the frame, rear door hinges (paint has flaked off), A-pillars, and other areas. If the car hadn't gone through all of the salty road winters, I'd be keeping it.

As for your '98, I'm sitting right smack on the fence-post on that one. Part of me says to stick with it and you'll get her over the hump (with pain and aggravation). Another part of me says that if the financial deal isn't done, step back and look at leasing. Could be a way to get into a slightly newer vehicle with potentially fewer problems.

Best of luck regardless - let us know how it goes.

Thanks, wasko
  • Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I've never heard of it flashing. That sort of makes me nervous to hear a service manager mention it. I may be wrong but...

There are indeed many reasons it can come on, most of which are ignorable (is that a word?) Since yours was just in for major repair it could be the O2 sensors (they were unhooked to drop the Y-pipe) or it could be the road speed sensor (also lives down there) or it could be water in the fuel causing a misfire. When mine was "new" I was so aggravated and gunshy from all the BS that I was ready to throw in the towel for a check engine and poor idle... and it was nothing more than a bad tank of fuel. But at that point you're not sure which way is up any more!

My gut feeling is, you're seeing small problems due to the major repair. Maybe they were in a hurry reassembling her, maybe they banged a sensor, maybe... whatever. If they're good for their word then they'll make it right. If they don't... then I'd get real serious real quick.

You're officially *almost* initiated... but it doesn't quite hurt enough yet. Now then, ask yourself if you're willing to go thru this until the warranty expires? Worst case, you will. Best case, you'll have no more trouble. It's something only you can answer, based on your ability to just let things slide (most "problems" are really not problems) vs. being too meticulous and going nuts from the headaches.

Wasko is right... as always. If you want less aggravation go with the newer vehicle and lease it. If you want to chance it, get this crop of trouble harvested and see what comes next. You may be pleasantly surprised... I was.

But Wasko IS wrong about one thing... the Series I is lots better than the Series II (ducking and grinning).

Hope this helps, -Bob
  • Options
    The service manager is right about the number of reasons a check engine light can come on. It can be as simple a problem as the gas cap being loose. You can thank the EPA for instituting OBDII diagnostics. Almost all check engine light occurences are emission related and do not indicate a critical failure. The retailer should be able to pull diagnostic codes using their Testbook or any scan tool. If the light is not flashing it is safe to drive the vehicle.
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    FWIW, I've been reading postings on this board for a while now. So far, it seems there hasn't much problems coming up with the DIIs. It appears that most of the "problem children" are 99s and older (DIs). This was the reason why I opted to go with a 2001 DII. It did clean up my bank account nicely but so far I haven't really had any real problem. I have taken it to the dealer for service a few times but mostly for very minor stuff. Aside from the cosmetic stuff that I wanted fixed and some loose (non-mechanical) parts that had to be tightened up, the only other thing I had them check is a pink fluid that leaked from underneath. Since then it's been behaving. Of course it makes a lot of noises I haven't heard from my previous cars before (which makes my wife extremely paranoid) but I guess those are just normal for the rovers. I have had it for 3 months now. Although my wife is the primary driver, I try to get it every chance I get. With the gas prices going down a little bit here in CA, it sure makes it more affordable to drive even for commuting to work. My wife has no problem with that. Her work is only less than 5 miles of side streets away from home. I just wish gas mileage was better on this truck so I can use it more often including commuting to work.

If you have the chance to go with the 2001 DII, I'd say go for it. All the aggravation you're getting from your 98 might get you fed up with rovers. No matter how much you love the truck, that could change if it continues to be a thorn for you. As you said, the other half of the money is contingent upon the truck passing certification. I feel it shouldn't get certified if it has that much problems. Isn't certification intended to put the car in a like "new condition"? As for the "crap" about the check engine light, have them put their comments/observations on the service order. At least if something happens down the road that is related to that, you have documentation. That's what I did when I asked them to check clicking sounds coming from my brake pedal everytime I start the truck and was told it was due to the ABS adjusting itself. I had them write what they told me in the service order. If in case that clicking sound was a sign of an impending repair, I can easily say I had it checked and was told it was normal.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Nanuq:

You know, making the decision to goto a DII has been very difficult! At times, I feel like I'm betraying my current vehicle. That isn't natural, but it's the feelings owning a Rover can bring out :)

Speaking of that, did you change ISPs? I can't find the old "Love is a LandRover" poem anymore. People that don't understand these feelings need to read that - it's great!

If there were a few less problems on the DI throughout it's history, I'd be keeping it for the long run. But the early engine problems (2.5 years ago - posted in detail on the forum here), the "Michigan Suntan" (i.e. RUST), and the right rear sag (even after new shocks and springs all around) create just enough doubt on long-term ownership.

Trust me, I've labored with this for months. But I just got a bonus at work and the timing is right.

So, before 8/31, I too will be clearing the bank account to go with the Epsom Green, Bahama Beige successor to the current DI. Colors will stay the same as the DI - some things never change :)

Good weekend to all, wasko
  • Options
    Ok, Bob (Nanuq) was right yet again. The check engine light was simply a loose connection to the O2 sensor (at least that is how it was explained to me). We brought it back last night at 8 p.m. and had it by 9:30 a.m. the next morning. I brought up the idea of the 2001 to my wife last night and got a resounding "NO WAY." Not because of money mind you but because (now get this) she "wants her white Rover." In other words she only drove the car for a day and a half and already she is attached. Anyway, I have to say that the dealership has been great (of course I have not given them all of their money yet -- will do that on Tues. if all continues to go well). They have gone above and beyond in terms of making the car brand new. The lot guy heard a clicking sound in the driver side seatbelt when he went to fill her with gas after certification, told the service manager who ordered a whole new seat belt. The right bin in the back of the truck has a few minor scratches on it so they ordered two brand new bins. A clip to one of the front sunshades was cracked so they replaced both front sun shades. Right down to the guy who sold me the vehicle I would reccomend Land Rover Denver South. I could not believe that when I brought it back at 8 p.m. last night that there were 4 technicians still on the job (may be because they have alot of jobs to do). I also can't believe that they had the car ready for us (and cleaned) by 9:30 this morning. Despite our little problems we love the car and it seems as if the dealership is willing to satnd behind her.Unlike Jeep and our other car (a Jeep Cherokee). The one thing that we are learning though is that despite the fact that we still have 2 years worth of warranty left we will be needing an extended warranty for sure. Next week I will be purchasing a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty from the Edmunds affiliate. It is a great deal especially since the six years begin from the date that you actually buy the warranty. Well guys, here we go -- looks like we are staying with the 98. The good news is that the wife said that when we get rid of the Jeep (in two years or so) that she will part with her beloved "white Rover" (yipeee I'll inherit it) so that we could lease a new one. I never thought my wife would love a car so much I mean to the point that we may become a two rover family (ok, I know I'm jumping the gun we first have to see what this one does to us).

Brett in Denver
  • Options
    flyinggeek2flyinggeek2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,
    I too own a 98 disco that we purchased with 25,000 miles on it. Just love the thing to death. Have had a couple of problems but were under warranty. Still working on the cutting out/stalling at speed(I'm thinking clogged fuel filter).Did purchase the same extended warranty from Warranty bynet.com(best price for what you get)This has been the 3rd extended warranty that I have purchased over the years and ALL have paid for themselves. I have kept all of my vehicles well pass 125,000 miles and plan to do the same on the Disco(after my wife gets the next new vehicle then I get the Disco-yessss) so for me it's the right thing to do. Keep the oil changed.Keep the service up,work threw the small stuff and you'll be fine.Take her offroad,you'll love it.
    Seeya
    Flying
  • Options
    Ours gets free maintenance to 50,000 miles and free oil changes for life so we have no excuse not to take care of her.
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Does anyone know when will the 2002 disocvery be available.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what year is the best year for a used discovery.
  • Options
    Yep I moved my web page to the new site... of course, on nanuq.net

http://www.nanuq.net/Arnold's/Bob/LandRover.html

It was a great weekend, I had Anuqa in some UGLY positions, at one point I thought I was going to smash my headlights against the ground coming down over a rocky edge. YAHOO!!! Made the wife seasick too. :) And it made me grateful for that approach angle! Whoops, I don't mean YAHOO from the seasick part. It's, er, um, it's a Rover thing. :)

• Options
    In response to yours tincup post #951, yes I did get the console cup holders. However, I can't bring myself to put screw holes through the console to hold them on as recommended. I am using velcro, but they are still barely big enough to hold a small cup, not the larger or taller mugs I like when on the road.

P.S. Could you tell me my build date: serial # saltw12491a72880901070
  • Options
    Had a few too many numbers in your VIN, but I figured it out. Your's was built on 04/27/01. I understand about the cupholders, those were an LRNA attempt at providing our customers with a useable option. The British think our usage of cupholders is lunacy, their engineers shudder at the thought of people eating and drinking while the vehicle is in motion.
  • Options
    rkh1rkh1 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a 2000 or 2001 Discovery II new or used. I have heard many great things about the vehicle. Though, there are two arguments I have heard in regards to not getting the vehicle, 1) it is under powered, and 2) terrible gas mileage.

My intended use of the vehicle is mostly on-road but it will be used off-road and trips in the snow. And pulling a trailer with motorcycles, etc.

Any input you can provide on why it would be a good or bad purchase would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Can you figure out build dates? Do you do this based on VIN #. I would be more than happy to give you mineif you would'nt mind.
  • Options
    I have access to that info, give me the last 8 of the VIN and I will check it for you.
  • Options
    Just my 2 centavos regarding your concerns. Power is how you define it. Don't expect acceleration like a muscle car since this was not it was designed for. Aside from being heavy, it just isn't meant to be driven like a sports car. However, you can expect more than enough power as you say when pulling a trailer. Driving off-road and trips on snow would be no problem. That is where you can expect stellar performance. As for the gas mileage, check any other vehicles in the same category and engine size and you will be surprised to see that the "terrible" gas mileage for this trucks are just the same give or take 1 or 2 miles per gallon as the others. It definitely doesn't work out well as a commute car in that regard but it is certainly a dream when taking it for off-roading, ski trips and every where else where safety, 4-wheel traction, functionality and comfort is a must. Also, it's great for taking them on short trips to your friend's house to say hi and see their jealous reactions for owning such a prestigious vehicle. ;) You've come to the wrong place though to ask whether it's a good idea to get a rover. People here are quite passionate about their "babies". It's almost impossible not to be that way though once you have one for yourself.
  • Options
    c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    I just bought a 2001 Disco II SD7 a about a month ago and I've noticed a few things that may or may not be a concern. First I get a whining, almost a buzzing sound every time I start the truck. But this sound eventually goes away within a few minutes of driving. Second I've also noticed that the self leveling suspension would be releasing air here and there, more often during the times I start and shut off the truck. This happens even when I'm the only one driving the vehicle and I mostly transport my two kids plus a couple of strollers (what can I say urban assault vehicle). So I can't say that I'm loading down the truck in any way. And lastly, I didn't drive the truck for a little over a week and had in parked in my driveway (slight incline) and I noticed that the rear end of the truck dropped quite a bit, almost as if all the gas on the shocks were lost.

Asides from all of that the truck is running great and I'm extremely happy with her. I've never had a vehicle so solidly built and right now she's screams to be taken off road. If anyone has experienced these very minor annoyances, please advice. Thanks for reading my post and for your feedback.
  • Options
    I too was concerned about the Vehicle being under powered since that is all the auto mags seem to write about. So do what I did. Go drive one for yourself. I once owned an RX-7 twin turbo so I know about power. True the DII is no "muscle car", but it "ain't no" pansy either. See my post 950 above for my comparison with a Grand Cherokee. As an added note, I was going to wait for the 2002 model because I heard rumor it might have the 4.6 engine (it won't), but after driving the 4.0, I was impressed enough with the power that even if the 4.6 was available I would get the 4.0. And like I said, I don't get left at lights, and if you want REAL power, wait until you feel the torque. As for the gas mileage, it isn't that far off from other comparable vehicles and the $ difference added up for say a year is not that much more, if any.
  • Options
    You may be hearing the "enormous sucking sound" that I get from my DI. I've got several ideas from different people that it may be the fans coming on when it starts, or it may be fast-idling to get the cats heated up quickly when it's cold. I'm not sure, but it always goes away within 1/4 mile. Hmmmmm, come to think of it I was out climbing her HARD last night up in the mountains and I eventually got the same sound... I bet it's the fans on full blast.

About the saggy backside... hey it happens to the best of us! (grin) I acutally have no clue about that one. Leaking self-leveler air seal?

Best regards, -Bob
  • Options
    Can't say much about the whining sound. From my experience, the only whining sound I hear is coming from me for not being able to drive it as much as I want to. On the serious side though, it does make a lot of noise. The engine does purr quite a bit and for someone like me who never drove anything more than a 6 cylinder before it did sound weird. I've also heard a vibrating sound coming from near the middle underneath the truck. Based on what I've read on some websites, it maybe some loose connection from the exhaust. I had it checked and sure enough that's what the dealer fixed. As for the SLS and the hisses you hear, I was told all the symptoms you were describing are all normal. Specifically, if you have the ACE, the hissing you hear when you turn off the engine is caused by ACE realeasing pressure. There will be other hissing sounds you will hear and from what the service guy from the dealer says, it's all because of the pressure being released by the different systems on the truck. The only hissing sound I heard recently that wasn't normal came from the tires. My wife drove over a screw which punctured the right front tire. Unfortunately, it got the part where the thread and wall meet which make it unrepairable. The darn tire (Goodyear Wrangler HP 255/55R18H)is not cheap and easy to find either. The lowest price I found was $225 including tax, balancing and mounting and it has to be special ordered. Does anyone know of any comparable lower priced tire (make and model)? It will only be used as the spare since I already have the full size spare take the place of the right front tire.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, One other question I failed to ask on the previous post. When we picked up our Disco, we were given a quick run down of the features of the truck (normal I suppose), but what struck me was that the salesman
    mentioned that we could use regular unleaded. So far I've been using premium unleaded, but I'm tempted to use super unleaded (given the prices lately). Has anyone used anything other than premium unleaded and have experienced any bad or good results from this. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    You'll notice slightly less power with Regular, but lots more pinging under heavy load. The engine will eventually "learn" you're using a lower octane fuel and will adjust its timing to compensate, which leads to less performance.

It's not much of a power difference, so balance your checkbook vs. how hard you use it.

One thing that's very important is regular use of quality fuels with good additive cleaners. I switch between Texaco and Chevron to benefit from both their fuel system scrubbers. I haven't found a need yet to use the special "intake cleaner" fuel additives.

Another trick is to drive around in "3" instead of "D". It gives you more power and response, and mileage doesn't seem much worse. Once your speeds get up around 45-50 then go to "D". As a rule of thumb (and as an excuse to play) I run my Disco HARD up thru the gears after every fillup. She seems to thrive on that.

If it's a new engine, be good to it. No overrevs, no sustained high-RPM driving. CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER at 500 miles and 1,000 miles. Do lots of speed-up-and-slow-down using engine compression braking... it sluices the fresh metal out of the cylinder wall areas with oil.

It's a good idea to change ALL fluids every year, engine oil lots more often than that. Fluids are a lot cheaper than metal. I use synthetic in the swivels, diffs and transfer box. In the engine I use half/half dino-lube in summer (20/50w and 5/50 synthetic) and pure synthetic 5/50w in winter, using a WIX 51515 filter (the replacement for the Fram PH8A long body). I change the auto trans fluid annually but only changed the filter at 30k miles... she's good for life now. You can change the power steering fluids (ATF) with a turkey baster while she's running.

Ummmmmmmm, what else??? I know I've forgotten something! :)

Anyway... Rover on!
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Doesn't Land Rover recommend that you use Premium only? At least that's what I had on my '97 before. By using regular and something breaks, would that void the warranty though? I think they recommend that if there are no premium or the octane fuel recommended, that you can fill it with a lower octane gas, just enough to get you to the next station and fill it up with the recommended octane.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    I'll have had my DII SE for 5 weeks tomorrow. The engine does purr but inside it is super quiet. I get an engine whine too but at freeway speeds around 70 mph. It's constant and only stops when coasting or when the speed drops. Anyone know what it might be?

Last weekend we loaded up our kid, dog, and camping gear and went up to Lopez Lake to jet ski. On Sunday we ventured down to Pismo Beach and had a blast. She handled like a dream! (We didn't get in too deep since I wasn't prepared to dig out or repump the tires.) Night and day difference from the explorer I had before. I see how exploring off road could become addicting.

Power is not an issue: plenty on the freeway and for getting up and down the hills around our house. The only downside so far is that my wife hasn't found a way to get good visibility around the spare and the rear headrests but I figure in time we'll work that out.
  • Options
    I think what you're hearing is the transfer case, mounted beneath the front passenger seat. You're lucky, Rover is the only manufacturer that uses gear-driven transfer boxes (instead of chain drive), and they're immensely strong.

Wait till you hear her in low range... then you're into the straight-cut gears (instead of helical cut) and they're REALLY noisy! But man oh man are they strong.

Enjoy the sound... it's reassuring.
  • Options
    "3" instead of "D", interesting I met a Rover who did the same thing. I was unsure about it, maybe I'll try it out a tank of gas and see how she runs. I didn't understand what you meant by "As a rule of thumb I run my Disco HARD up thru the gears after every fill up. She seems to thrive on that".

And thanks for your advice on the fluids, I shall do the same!
  • Options
    hatton3hatton3 Member Posts: 13
    Plenty of you chaps seem to be using the DII for offroad use and towing. Can I ask what do you use as a rear tow point. The standard land rover tow bar that I have fitted reduces the rear ground clearance to only a handful of inches which converts the vehicle into at best a plough offroad and a worst a ground anchor. The Range Rover had a lovely swan neck / easily removable tow bar but I haven't seen that on a D II. Any ideas ?
  • Options
    I assumed the whine was something normal to Rovers. Like someones here has said... just turn up the radio a little. I didn't notice anything in particular in low range on the beach but then again we were having so much fun I probably just missed it!
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Keep in mind that our hitches here in N.America look completely different than the fish hook-like hitches that you have in Europe :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    WA781105 - these are the last 8 characters. Let me know when my baby was born, thanx!
  • Options
    All:

Financing was approved on the DII SE, I've got my Xplan PIN into the dealer, and they're installing heated seats in it tomorrow (they're for my wife, really!). The bummer is that the truck won't be ready until late Friday, early Saturday. I leave Saturday early afternoon to head out of town on business. If I don't get it on Saturday, I'll have to wait until next Wed-Thurs. Argh!

If anyone is interested, I've got a tan rear load space mat from my DI that I'll part with for a song and shipping. I don't know the Edmund's policy on posting things for sale, so I'll just say that if you're interested, contact me offline (stephenwasko@hotmail.com).

After I've driven the DII for a couple of weeks, I'll post my impressions on the differences between the '96 DI and the new DII. This will primarily be to get under Bob's skin, but may serve as general interest to others :) Just kidding Nanuq!

Cheers, wasko
  • Options
    Under Bob's skin???? Well!!!!

I have to admit, I have driven both beasties and I really do like the DI better... it feels less claustrophobic to me, outward visibility is better, but SWMBO suuuuuuure liked those heated seats. :) And the traction control in snow was pretty cool... a little weird but useful!

Enjoy your new beastie, Wasko!
  • Options
    hoppy19317hoppy19317 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 disco that I bought new and have taken care of it at dealers since purchase. It has 122k miles. Now experiencing engine overheating problems at idle at stoplights, etc. with the situation worse if AC is on. Dealer checked t'stat, fan, radiator, switches, relays, etc. and told me that "a cylinder sleeve has probably dropped" and that I was likely looking at a new engine for $5k-$7k. One of the guys from Atlantic British told me that this (cylinder sleeve dropping) was not uncommon and the fix is a new short block.

Any similar experiences?!?!
  • Options
    Your vehicle was built 03/05/98
  • Options
    I'm going to buy a used discovery or as new freelander at the end of the year, and I wanted to know which model year is a better choice for a used discovery series 2
  • Options
    The newer the better, quality has gone up since the introduction in 1999
  • Options
    A Thursday birthdate -- better than a Friday or a Monday. However, wondering if the guys at the factory might have started the weekend a bit early. Actually, since we got the whole check engine thing dealt with she has been running like a charm (knock on wood). We are having so much fun driving her though that we are racking up the miles. She is a beauty!
  • Options
    Man 5-7k is a lot of clams. I wonder what the average life expectatncy is for a Rover engine.
  • Options
    "Running like a charm (knock on wood)" ?? You need to pay better homage than that to Mr. Lucas :)

For starters, you should wander over to or http://www.atlanticbritish.com/product_links.asp?p1=20&i1=ON&d1=ON&s1=9078&c=&r1=ALL . Buy at least one for you, one for your wife, and one for your Rover.

Just ribbing you! Glad you're having a good time with the Disco - it will bring you years of faithful service.

Thanks - wasko

• Options
    "He sees you when you're sleeping,
    he knows when you're awake...
    he knows when she's been running right
    so touch wood for goodness' sake!"

Yep yep yep... I once said something like that about my Rover. Never again. Nope. She runs like a flabby washing machine on unbalanced spin cycle, during a lightning storm. Terrible, simply terrible. I can't BELIEVE how poorly she runs.

(wink wink nudge nudge - think he bought it???)
  • Options
    Who in the heck is Lord Lucas? Let me in on this, something tells me I will need to know.
  • Options
    I have looked and looked and i can not find out any information on the new discovery coming out in 2003. Has anyone heard anything about it.
  • Options
    British electrics used to be sourced from the Lucas company, and they were notorious for not working at the most inopportune times... like crossing rivers. Headlights would fail at speed on dark curvy roads... hence the name "Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness".

You mess with the Big Boy, you lose your electrics. Simple as that. Touch wood, say a prayer and appease the gods of electricity. Don't even THINK of commenting how well your truck is running, and if someone else does, then toss up a distraction QUICKLY.

I personally think that's why they put wood on the dashboards... it's handy that way. :)
  • Options
    I've never heard of a Rover doing that, so it can't be that common. There are lots of discussion groups here on the Web where you can ask about it. I'd take it to a competent mechanic if you need it resleeved... these aren't rocket science engines, they're basically Buick V8s... no magic at all. Mike Green at West Coast British had over 600,000 miles on his Disco last time I talked to him, on one rebuild.

Here are some links:

www.lrx.com/forum/messages.html
    www.mrbean.net.au/~rover/home.htm
    www.land-rover.team.net/
  • Options
    Yes, Lord Lucas is a powerful and devious force. My wife was very concerned when we first looked at the DII. She still has memories from when she owned a Triumph Spitfire back in the early '80's. Between Triumphs and Jaguars Lord Lucas was a very busy guy back then.

Of course if there had been any way to keep that car she would still have it today.