Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 450h Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Lexus GS 450h. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    Car_man, the original 450h forum isn't all that active. Did it really make sense to create two additional groups for leasing and buying? Those two are just a financing choice that are two sides of the same coin, and arguably all of the topics related to this car would make more sense in the same bucket, given the light traffic.
    Just a suggestion.
  • eccentric2eccentric2 Member Posts: 4
    HI All,

Got a few questions about leasing this car, as I was called yesterday that my car has come in a cool black gs450h, but when we started to work out the numbers it seemed way too expensive, we discussed multiple security deposits(can these be lost if the car is stolen or totaled?) I was looking at a MSRP of $60,049, no discount since it isn't readily available, but given a $1060 a month on a 36 month, 15k mile lease. (I just leased a cls 500 with sticker of 74k for $1080 a month). What would be a fair price and what should the residual and money rate be. Was excited to get the car but seems very expensive for a $60,000 lease.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eccentric2
  • bushsux1bushsux1 Member Posts: 6
    Eccentric2,
    I got the same quote. How did you work your deal out?? :confuse:
  • eccentric2eccentric2 Member Posts: 4
    I havent bought the car yet, its more expensive to be green then it might be worth with this car, I am considering buying for cash though. Otherwise I have another one at another dealer that should be in in about a month and maybe lexus will have a handle on the lease. But I will never buy anything from Countyline Lexus after my experience today! They just didnt care to even explain to me their numbers!! If anyone knows what the money rate and residual should be please post, as I was quoted .0028 and a 53% residual. I think I might get another cls 500 or an audi a6 4.2. So much for trying to be enviromentally friendly :(

Best of luck.

David
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I had exactly the same experience- fully loaded GS540h was quoted in the neighborhood of $1400/month for 36 months. You think this is bad, you should ask the Jaguar dealers how much their new XK8's lease for.

Since most of these high end cars are leased and not purchased and since money does matter, maybe Lexus doesn't have that many GS 450h's to sell and therefore won't offer attractive leases.

Of course, when Mercedes releases the new engines for the CLS, I suspect their leases won't be so attractive either.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi eccentric2. Multiple security deposits are an excellent way to lower your vehicle's lease payment. They certainly are a whole lot better than making a down payment because you will get them back at the end of your lease and you should be able to get them back if your vehicle is considered a total loss for insurance purposes. If you were to lease a 2006 Lexus GS 450h without any security deposit through Lexus Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00255 and 55%, respectively assuming that you qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I'm about to lease a 450h and I know there is a special lease rate in effect until April 2, 2007. But the Lexus web site only mentions that there is a special offer, without providing any details. The dealer I'm leasing from says the special money factor is 0.00255 (that's for the top tier credit quality - over 730 FICO score), which translates into roughly 6% APR, as opposed to the normal rate of 0.0028, which translates to 6.7%. The 6% rate does not appear to be special at all! Does anyone have any information on the actual offer?
    Hello dulnev. The special lease money factor that you were quoted for the 2007 GS 450h looks about right to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    I actually got a bit more information on another forum, and it turns out that the best money factor available is 0.00245 for borrowers in the top credit tier (over 730 FICO). The difference in the monthly payment from the originally quoted 0.00255 factor (for borrowers in the 690-730 bracket) is only $8 a month.
  • amg_driveramg_driver Member Posts: 2
    Eccentric the only green thin about the GS is the amount of money one myst pay to drive them. Are they really that green with 300 ponies! ;)
  • amg_driveramg_driver Member Posts: 2
    Eccentric the only green thing about the GS is the amount of money one must pay to drive them. Are they really that green with 300 ponies! ;)
  • juanbronjuanbron Member Posts: 3
    I have made tons of calls to fleet managers, etc. and it seems that the gs450h, leases for a tremendous amount more than commensurate cars in its class. Granted, its the only hybrid in its class, but if you build a 2008 535i and get it to just about the same equipment level of the gs450h, and they have a very similar msrp, the 535i leases for a tremendous amount less. Not to bore you with all the specifics, but on minimum drive off leases, on a 36 month 12k lease the price difference is around 150 dollars more per month for the gs hybrid. I am trying desperately to lease this car but feel its a rip off because Lexus sets its residual value so low. Couple this with the fact that bmw pays for brake pads, etc. and i have a hard time pulling the trigger.
    My questions is what is the secret to leasing this great car at a price more in line with what bmw is leasing its cars at? Or do i just bite the bullet and buy the car?
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    juanbron - Let's see what Lexus and BMW do in February. Just a note, BMWs lease well because they typically have very strong residual values, so the depreciation expense in significantly less. If you need more help, please feel free to email me.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    I have an '07 with 18k miles that I took delivery of back in May 2006 (one of the 1st delivered). Willingly paid sticker to get it when it came out, so can't complain about the price. What has upset me is that the value has dropped precipitously. I recently asked my Lexus dealer and a Mercedes dealer where I was considering a swap, to get me a quote on the car. Lexus came back with a $38k bid and Mercedes with $43k (higher no doubt because they were going to make money on the sale of the new car to me, and generally a more aggressive dealer).

The explanation I received from both dealers is that there is NO resale market for this car, therefore few wholesalers are interested in bidding for it. It worries me for a year or two down the road with what it's going to be worth. I also think people are scared about how the batteries are going to hold up.

I kept the car and remain reasonably happy with it. Nothing I can do about the value now, but it's something that new buyers and leasers should consider. There's obviously a reason why Lexus is putting the residuals so low on the leases. It appears to reflect reality.
  • drleasedrlease Member Posts: 7
    The Market looks like it may be droping now. I talked to a Leasing Company in Ohio (Thompson and Ward Leasing) I found by searching New GS450h on Autotrader in Columbus. A new 08, MSRP $60,350, Said he would sell it for $55980, AND could get a .00234 mf on the car. I passed because the car was red and I want black, but I think it shows the direction of the Market.
  • socaljdsocaljd Member Posts: 6
    Hi CarMan,

What is the current MF & residual on a 36mo/12k term for a '08 450h ?
    Is the MSD program for Lexus still the same (.00008 MF reduction for each SD) ?
    Due to the current economy, do you think a 450h can be had for under invoice (in SoCal area) ??

TIA - socalJD
    Here's the information that you're looking for, socalJD. According to the latest information that I have seen, Lexus Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Lexus GS 450h with 12,000 miles per year are .00155 and 47%, respectively.

It is difficult to say how low the dealers in your area will be willing to go on this car, but I personally doubt that you will be able to get one for under invoice. I personally would shoot for a couple hundred dollars over. Try stopping by the "Lexus GS 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion for additional feedback on this car's pricing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • nemianemia Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what the current lease rates for the GS450h are, including the mf and residual for the 08 for a 36 mo lease w/12k mi per year?

Thanks!
    Hi nemia. Here's the information that you're looking for. Lexus Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 GS 450h with 12,000 miles per year are a terrible .00285 and 41%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

The lease program is bad, but Lexus is providing $6,000 dealer cash on this car right now. Make sure to take it into account when negotiating the selling price.

Car_man
    Host
  • linoglinog Member Posts: 1
    I went to the lexus dealer in the san fernando valley in californa and thier giving me a lexus gs 2009 450h for 1050.00 a month- 12k min per year- 36 months and- 6,500 down they said the car is fully loaded total with tax the car costs 71,000.00 the guy said what do you
    Hi linog. Wow that's a lot of money. Did the dealer mention what this car's selling price is? The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing what this car's selling price is, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount, and in turn how good a deal you are getting. Find out what this number is and let us know. I am sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will be glad to give you their opinion on it.

One thing that jumps out at me about this deal is the large down payment that the dealer is asking for. I always advise consumers not to make any sort of capitalized cost reduction when leasing. Those who make one risk losing part or all of it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, you will be much better off going with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    Hello CarMan. The date of your post is Feb 26, 2009, is the $6000 dealer cash you mentioned still going on? Nothing was listed when I looked at the incentives on this site. Maybe ended before March?

I am looking to get a new car, preferably before the CA tax rate goes up on April 1. However, if other programs might kick in that would provide savings that offset the extra ~$550 in tax, I could certainly wait.
    Hey vigorlover. Now that's a model that I haven't thought about in a long time. I had a friend who had an Acura Vigor. Despite the fact that it never really caught on, it was a pretty nice car.

Yes, Lexus is still providing $6,000 dealer cash on the 2008 GS 450h. It is not providing any dealer cash on the 2009 GS 450h, but it does have a special lease program on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey Car Man,

I bought a 1992 Vigor GS the first weekend they were available for sale back in 1991. I had it for 16 years, over 165k miles. It was a great car.

I ended up buying a 2009 GS450h in March for $56,000 (about $150 over invoice with all the options: Mark Levinson stereo, Nav, XM, run flat tires, Lexus Link, ...). I just beat the CA state sales tax increase by a couple days. I wonder if had I waited, maybe the dealers would have had new incentives that would have more than made up for the 1% tax increase. Oh well, I am happy driving my new GS450h.
    Cool story vigorlover. It's always nice to see people who have a passion for particular vehicles. Thanks for letting us know how everything turned out. $150 over dealer invoice is an excellent selling price for an '09 GS 450h. You wouldn't have saved any money by waiting. Buying fast to beat the sales tax increase was the right call.

Car_man
    Host
    So far so good with GS450h. I am taking it in for its 1k checkup tomorrow. I have been getting about 25.5mpg on each tank in my combination city/highway driving (where my 1999 A4 2.8 got about just over 21 and my 1998 Jag XK8 cvt got just under 21).
    I'm glad that you're enjoying your GS, vigorlover. Thanks for the update.

Car_man
    Host
    It looks like there is a $2,500 dealer incentive right now on the 2009 GS 450h. Car_man, can you please post the current residual and MF for the 36 month lease with 12K miles? Thank you.
    Hi dulnev. There was a $2,500 dealer cash incentive on the 2009 GS 450h. Unfortunately, Lexus decided not to extend that dealer cash when it introduced its new September program.

Lexus Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 GS 450h with 12,000 miles per year are .00030 and 43%, respectively.

Having said this, I heard a rumor that Lexus had enhanced its lease program on all models yesterday. I'll look into that. If you'd like, post a reminder for me in this discussion in a day or two and I'll let you know what I have been able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man, please let us know if there's any news on this front. Thanks.
    There is, dulnev. Lexus boosted its residual values on all models by 3% across the board through the end of the year.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man, I just went ahead and ordered the 2010 GS 450h. I believe I got a very good deal -- $1,000 over invoice. But now I will have to decide whether to buy the car when it comes in or to lease it. Have the lease programs for 2010 GS been released yet? Thank you.
    I have had my 2009 GS450h since March (purchased for about the same deal you got), 7800 miles on it so far, and it has been great. Computer says overall 26.5mpg, which is a little better than the EPA ratings.
    Hey dulnev. $1,000 over is a pretty good deal. I have seen the lease program for this car. Lexus Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 GS 450h with 15,000 miles per year are .00255 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you very much for the information, Car_man! This is pretty encouraging. The residual I had on the 2007 GS450h was 52% with 12K miles. Do you happen to know how many percentage points Lexus adds to the residual for going with 12K miles as opposed to 15K?
    You're very welcome, dulnev. Lexus Financial Services adds 2% to its 15,000 mile per year residual values for leases with only 12,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • kvaillancourtkvaillancourt Member Posts: 16
    Found a 09 with 60 miles; selling for $51k. What can I expect for current money factor and residual? My wife is hesitant, but I think this is "killer" deal, your thoughts?
    If it is a new 2009 from a dealer, then the dealer should be able to provide you with at least the residual numbers. I believe 2010 is in low 50s right now, so you should expect the 2009 to be in the low 40s. Meaning it would be a really terrible idea to lease it. If you believe the deal is great, then just buy it. The resale value on the 450h is very good, so you can easily sell it after 2-3 years if you get tired of it.

You mention the price is $51K, but what are the options? For a 2009 you should not pay more than $1,000-2,000 below invoice right now.
  • kvaillancourtkvaillancourt Member Posts: 16
    I think I found the car; 09 GS 450h, verified 1 owner purchased at local lexus dealer 12/08 and traded in at local BMW dealer. Please give me your thoughts:
    Asking $42,995, 15k miles, Nav., ML, etc..It does have run flat tires (original) and I think I should ask for new tires (non run flat) as part of the deal. It does have spare. It has original warranty, but does anyone know if I can go to the Lexus dealer and purchase a platinum warranty? I drove over 30 miles and it was tight and I was surprised the tires were not actually nosier; Dunop 5000 run flates. Please give me some wisdom, anyone out their???
    Hi kvaillancourt. This particular discussion is for community members to talk about leasing a new GS 450h. You will probably have better luck getting feedback on how much you should pay for the used GS 450 that you are interested in over in the "Lexus GS 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion or the "Real-World Trade-In Values" discussion.

You also might want to try looking up this car's value over in the Used Vehicle section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    That price is too good to be true. I would check whether the car has been in a bad accident.
  • jmarcewiczjmarcewicz Member Posts: 5
    Repost from GS460 forum:
    Hope somebody can help.
    I am special ordering the above. The car comes to $61500 total MSRP. I'm looking to lease and the number my dealer (Phila-area) gave me were: $813.50 for 48 months.
    I do not have any other details (residuals, etc)...the number is just what I was told.
    Is this a good deal? Am I in the ballpark? :confuse:
    Any questions feel free to ask...
    Thanks!
    Hi jmarcewicz. You really need to find out what selling price the dealer is charging you for this car. Other than the monthly payment of course, this is probably the most important figure to find out when leasing. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is much more difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know what this vehicle's selling price is and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly let you know what they think.

Car_man
    Host
  • jmarcewiczjmarcewicz Member Posts: 5
    Here's the deal:
    After negotiating with dealers in DE and MA for the car to be factory ordered our local PA salesguy won out. Since the car would not be delivered until 3-4 months from order date none were willing to give a definite monthly lease price (because of future money factor, etc.). I & wife (her car) understood that, but still needed a "cap" amount - they could tell us now that the lease amount would be X but when the car actually arrived they could say the lease price was now X plus $500 (which we thought was unfair since her current lease would be up and she would then be back to square one AND without a car).
    Bottom line:
    The MSRP for the car is $63687.
    The current negotiated monthly price is $815 (4 year lease).
    We "capped" the lease at $900. So if the economy gets worse, the most we'll pay is that amount.
    If Lexus is running a deal concurrent with the car's arrival (in November) or rates are more favorable to us it may even be less than $815.
    SO, MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION:
    How good/bad was our negotiating skills? Did we do good? Are we being hosed? :confuse:
    Thanks for any/all input!
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2014
    Hi All,
    Thought I'd recount the highlights of a successful leasing experience for whatever it's worth. First, cudos to Edmunds for giving me all the info. I needed to make a great deal.

I leased my 450h from Southbay Lexus inTorrance. I told our salesman, Kevin M[], understood that I was using Edmunds as my primary source of information. It made his life easy. He cut to the chase and gave me clear and straight answers to every one of my questions. If my Mother wanted a Lexus, I'd send her to him.

Following Edmunds advice, I talked about purchasing until the last minute. I also told them I was not going to be trading-in my car.
    I was offered and accepted $2750 below invoice. To my surprise, at the end of the deal I got a bonus. Here are the numbers:

36 months, 15,000 miles a year
    Money factor: .00090
    Residual: 56%
    My last stop at the dealership was in the finance office to sign all the docs. I expected the usual pitches but got a very pleasant surprise. I was interested in one pkg. that covers the high end gotcha's that can come-up at the end of a lease, tires, excessive damage, etc. I liked the pkg. but not the price. When I told the finance manager that I was on the fence about it I was told that Lexus gives the dealers money to sell their add-on packages - and that the dealership would pass that money on to me. The pass-thru equaled more money than the pkg. itself. I got the pkg. for free and some.

I'm a happy camper. Thank you, Edmunds. You saved me a bundle.