Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    All:

Had the same symptoms described above and made about 10 trips to the dealer. Only difference is my check engine light never came on. Ended up being an engine vehicle speed sensor (less than $100).

Thanks,
    wasko
  • duperdogduperdog Member Posts: 1
    All,

I have recently decided to get rid of my '98 Explorer. I have had enough of the problems with the tires and the other issues etc... I went to the LR dealer and drove a base '00 w/6 disc CD and running boards ($33500)and loved it! The dealer here says the pricing on a base '01 is the same as the '00, but I cannot find any information on Edmunds with '01 pricing, info etc...

I would like to buy this vehicle, but my wife (the primary driver) wants to lease due to all of the problems she has heard about the vehicle. Does anyone have any info on the '01 or any web site where the info is available? Any help would be appreciated.

PS. My wife would rather get a Durango, but I cringe at the thought of a Chrysler vehicle in my driveway...

Thanks,
    Steve
  • nhclaxnhclax Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at a couple of used 97 SE7's, both have 30 - 35K and are priced in the mid to low 20's. Is there any info or advice on what I should look and ask for when dealing with the dealer? I realize the Disco's past history, but have become hooked on the style.

Also, this truck will be my fiance's primary vehicle. Does anyone have any saftey info. I know it may sound morbid but how do they hold up in accidents?

Thanks
  • laursarlaursar Member Posts: 1
    I'm also buying a '97 Disco and can not find any safety info. Can anyone help?
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Take a look at this:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Accidents/Wrecks.htm

I hope the link still works?

Regards, -Bob
    I should have checked it out first. Try this one instead:

http://www.landroverclub.net/HTML/Wrecks.htm

Sorry!!
  • RoitanRoitan Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know what the standard warranties were on the 1997 and 1998 Discovery's sold in the U.S.?

Also, has anyone heard any talk of ever bringing over the Turbo diesel to the US in the Discovery?

Thanks
    Roitan
  • bbc28bbc28 Member Posts: 6
    3 year 36K-I think!
    If you can get a good deal on the 98 buy it then purchase an extended warranty while the factory warranty is still in effect.

You'll literally save houndreds if you buy the extention before the original expires.
    Bob,

When my 97 Disco slows and RPMs fall to 1500 (getting off highway) my transmission clicks-sometimes more loudly then others. I wouldn't quite call it a clunk but almost.

I think this is when it shifts down to 2nd and first from third gear. Is this normal and do others hear the same noises
    Living in Seattle affords me the opportunity to drive through lots of water. I am originally from Eastern Washington and often find myself needing some space so I take my 97 disco into the N-Cascades.

A couple of weeks ago I was up on some logging trails and had forged a small pond on my way up into the mountains. After, a couple of hours I headed back down only find the small pond was now a small lake. I threw the disco into low and locked the diff and slowly headed acrossed. It plowed through and the water came up a little farther then anticipated!

Good fun and a great truck.

I bought my disco after spending a few weeks in Namibia in an old 110 style. Different rig but same ruggedness.

Buy now before those UAW idiots at Ford ruin them!

Brett
    All:

Checkout http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/mid_suvs/mid_suv.htm - has some great information for those worrying about crash tests, etc.

Thanks, wasko
  • knbknb Member Posts: 1
    New Owner of Used 97 Discovery, Seems to be running ok, but check engine light on a second time in 2 weeks. First time it was evaporator that caused light to go on? Starting to get wary. 41,000 miles on truck? Any comments?
  • wmasc1wmasc1 Member Posts: 1
    this response is for #120:

i own a 96 Discovery and I had the same problem with the check engine light being on. ur light is on because the oxygen sensor might need to be replaced...........you can avoid taking ur Disco to the dealer because they will just charge u an arm and a leg. so instead go to ur local auto store and purchase 2 cans of catalytic converter cleaner and pour into ur gas tank. and run ur Disco nearly empty before refueling so in this way the catalytic converter cleaner u had poured in cycles throughout the whole vehicle. catalytic converter cleaner does the job cuz it also cleans out the oxygen sensors. this should avoid the costly trip to the dealer.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    They have the most ridiculous SUV test I've ever seen in there this month. They test SUV's in the $40k range. Every picture in the article is offroad even though most of the SUV's included don't have low-range 4WD. The Disco II finished last because the writers obviously care a lot more about on-road ride than they do offroad ability, where the LR shines (one of the pics is of the LR pulling another one out of a mud pit). Stupid article.
  • rlerner1rlerner1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1999 DII - has anybody had problems with tires prematurely wearing ?

At 20K+ miles I have lost almost 50% of the inside tread - Land Rover does not recommend rotating tires ??? My tires are good year HP's
    KNB, a check engine can be caused by dozens of things. More details? Does it stumble and lose power? Dash lights come on? Does it idle well, or does it surge and/or die at intersections? Strong on the freeway? Electrical noise thru the speakers?

RLERNER, I have a '96 with the stock Michelins, mine are pretty much toast at 50k miles. They tend to scallop the inside edges for some bizarre reason... nobody can tell me. These are solid axles, ought to be no flex there. It's designed for a slight toe-out alignment in front but that ought not scallop them. Also I rotate mine front and back on the same side, making sure to get the pressures right after I move them: 38psi rear, 28psi front. It makes a big difference. My guess is it has to do with the full-time 4WD and differing tire speeds in corners. Friction against the road is all that forces the center diff to slip, and that may wear tires more than we'd expect. Maybe not.

Good luck all! I put in my light winter oil last night (5/50w Castrol Syntec) and boy is she happy this morning! Purrrrrrrrrrrr... Everyone stop and think: when did you change your swivels and diffs? It's about time, a long summer of playing may have some moisture in there. Oil's a lot cheaper than metal.

Regards, -Bob
  • biz_qwikbiz_qwik Member Posts: 5
    My '01 DII is at 31,000 and due for servicing. I have looked on this site and have seen a few posts regarding changing seals and such but where can I read what happens?

Are these services in the book required to maintain warrenty?

My brakes were replace 10K ago only by previous owners dealer and have now started squealing when lightly applied. I plan to check and replace myself if necessesary, but this seems like such a short period of time to me. Is some noise normal?

To be honest I drive 95% paved unfortionatly but love it when it can get in the mountains. My stock Goodyears are wearing strange in the front and the rears still seem fine. They grab grooves in the road and pull the Disco around drasticaly at times.

What tires are best for my use?

thanks alot,
    B
    Nanuq:

Hey, good to see you back on the forum! I thought the buzz in the radio was a Rover feature :) I don't have any check engine light, but I do get that electrical whine occasionally.

Just about to roll 69,000 on the '96 and she's getting ready for a MI winter. I'm hoping for a good winter full of snow and some long weekend trips to the cabin.

Thanks, wasko
    Q'amai! (that's a native Alaskan greeting)

I get that whine every few months, it's my built in timer (isn't it thoughtful of the boys at Solihull to give us a timer?!) that it's time to disassemble my fuse block and clean it again. If I let it go too long then electrical weirdness returns with a vengeance. Simple 15-minute job with a screwdriver and pencil eraser: take apart, clean all contacts, blow out residue, reassemble. Presto!

Oooooooooooo this reminds me of a joke I received once on the Web,

Q: "What's the difference between a wife and a mountain bike?"

A: If your mtn bike is whining you can fix it!

(ducking and running)
  • trc2trc2 Member Posts: 3
    I know that the insurance institutes don't give the LR high marks, but when I lived in Russia we hit a cement barrier in a '97 Disco going @ 45 mph. Flipped over and down a river bank. Well, The Disco was destroyed, and the total damage for the driver and I was one broken wrist, some bruised ribs, some slight facial lacerations (no scars) from flying glass and a serious case of the "thank you Lord!s" I now drive a '00 Disco. I find them t be heavy, reliable, solid trucks that take good care of their owners...
  • erikjerikj Member Posts: 14
    Well, while driving to work this morning, the transmission in my '99 D-II (ACE, 27010 MILES) started slipping. I diverted to the dealer, and by the time I got there, the truck was really lurching (except for reverse, which didn't work at all).

They actually seemed pretty stunned when they checked it out. Then they gave me a 2000 D-II loaner and sent me off. I just checked in and apparently a new transmission is on order. I still love the truck, but right now I'm just happy to be under warranty.
  • recivreciv Member Posts: 2
    Have had the truck for about a month now. NO problems at all but have the 3 year warrenty just in case. Well, there is one problem My wife will not let me drive it. She absolutly adores it, even with the low gas milage. She says that I can drive it on the weekends. I live for Friday so that I might drive the best truck around. Have I mentioned the room in the back seat. You could camp on the floor back there.
    It is great
    Here's a good link for Rover wrecks. Scary stuff!

http://www.landroverclub.net/HTML/Wrecks.htm

Erikj: you're right, they should be surprised. The ZF is one tough transmission. The shop here has NEVER had one come back broken. Ever.

Good luck! -Bob
  • plitnickplitnick Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a '99 Discovery and am trying to determine if it is an SD or a Series II.
    According to the Edmunds notes the SD has std leather and heated seats but no traction control or Hill Descent Control, while the Series II has cloth as standard, but comes with Traction Control. I would like both traction control and HDC. Any help/thoughts?
    plitnick: I could be wrong, but it looks like you want a Series II. When LR put in the traction control they took out (access from the drivers seat for) the center differential lock. HDC essentially uses the same mechanics as TC.

I can't remember whether the '99 SD model has TC or HDC, but I'm pretty sure previous models did not. I have a '99 brochure at home, and I'll check.
  • honeybee1honeybee1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I need help finding or finding information on getting a rear end or rear end housing and a slave cylinder for a 1990 Aro Carryall from Romania. I have been told that a 1999 Rangerover may fit but I don't know. There are no Aro part stores here in the states and I'm having a time finding a salvage yard. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    ...you post this question over on:

http://www.wowpages.com/roversnorth/wwwboard/w3bbrr.html

There are lots of Rover gents over there with decades of experience.

Good luck, -Bob
  • jrhodes16jrhodes16 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at getting a 2000 Disco II brand new (there still are some out there) or with low low mileage. But after reading all of these posts, it has made me wary. Originally I was looking at an DII (1999 or 2000), but it sounds like you do not want one with any miles on it (or else get one with 40K+ on it to fix the bugs). I still want one...but price is a consideration in my purchase. How much does a bumper to bumper warranty run with the DII? Thanks for any more advice from current DII owners (not salesmen).

Joe
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    I've had a lot of problems with my original mich. tires. 1. loud 2. scalloped 3. uneven wear 4. extraordinarily susceptible to punctures....so far. My dealer told me I have at least 10,000mi left on my tires(I presently have 59,000mi on my 1996 disco). I think it is my shocks and am planning on replacing the originals with Bilsteins. My dealer had no comment on the leaking shocks or the scalloped tires, but I believe they are related-my mechanic thinks I may be correct. ALSO, I would like to know my best source for detailed directions on learning and practicing basic repair and installations on my disco. Merci !!
    Oceandweller:

For maintenance and very light repairs, Haynes Manuals have always done a pretty good job. Checkout www.atlanticbritish.com or www.roversnorth.com. Also, if you're looking for detailed information on installing aftermarket parts (such as the Bilsteins), www.discoweb.org is a great place to start. Goto the Tech section and you'll see install instructions for shocks, tires, rock sliders, winches, CBs, trailer wiring, etc. Great site!

Thanks, wasko
  • jsingerjsinger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 D-II (38,000k) with a seaping head gasket that they are going to replace. The question is: will the machining of the heads in this process affect the performance or the longevity of the engine? Additionally, will it be prone to more easily blown gaskets as a result of this happening so early in the cars life?

Thinking of selling-
    John
  • newbee4newbee4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I'm new to the Discovery world.. I would like some feedback ( good and bad)on the 96 Discovery.

I found one here in Colorado Springs for about 20k
    with 50k miles - it's SE7 ...

Is it expensive to fix these cars?

What kind of reliability am I looking at here?

What are some Known probles with these vehicles?

What kind of gas mileage should I expect?

Thanks for all inputs in advance!

Sincerely,

Newbee4.

ps. Trading in a '92 Jag SJ6 for it!
  • newbee4newbee4 Member Posts: 2
    Wasko.

Thanks for all the information you confirmed what I thought was the case.

One thing that raises a red flag for me is the low mileage on ALL DISCOVERIES in the lot...I mean the one I am looking at has the highest..and that's only 51K...

It seems a bit suspicious that the mileage on these vehicles appears to be below the National Average...
    If it was one or two I wouldn't be concerned but IT'S ALL OF THEM!

Thanks again for your response!

Newbee4 ...
    Newbee4:

Checkout www.lrx.com - do a search for 1996 Disco's and you'll see that the majority have low mileage. A few up in the 70's, but many are down in the 50's. Not sure quite how to explain that. One thought is that many are leased as weekend/second vehicles by wealthier folks and hence the low mileage. Mine was leased (3 years) prior to me buying it by the wife of a building contractor. She didn't work, so it served the minivan purpose. A 3 year lease and it only had 29,000 miles on it when I took ownership in 1998. That would mean she put about 9600 miles on it a year - very low.

Thanks, wasko
  • waldrojewaldroje Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, i have a '00 DII, 13k miles, and am having some problems which the dealer at the moment seems incapable of fixing. Hoping someone else may have had the problem. Lately, the DII is starting very hard, requiring many cranks to fire up. Completely inconsistant though, sometimes it fires right up. First time dealer replaced the starter, second time said error codes pointed towards loose wires. This is all in the last 2 weeks. In addition, not sure if related, but both my traction control and hill descent lights come on occasionally right when starting the car and stay on until car is turned off. Neither system seems to be actually engaged. Dealer of course is having trouble replicating the problems because they happen inconsistantly. Anyone else experience anything like this?
    I had a similar problem with the TC and HDC lights coming on (along with my brake light) while driving. It turned out to be a broken pin in a connector attached to the Engine Control Unit (ECU). They soldered the pin and the problem has was resolved. The ECU is a very expensive part and LR doesn't like to authorize a warranty replacement until they're sure the dealer has been diligent in finding other possibilities.

My dealer had told me come in with the warning lights lit if possible. So, one day I'm on my way to work when the warning lights came on. The low gas warning was already lit, but I skipped buying gas because that would mean turning off the truck and losing the TC/HDC warning lights. I went to the dealer and left the truck running and ran to get a tech. By the time I got someone out to see the warning lights, the truck ran out of gas and stalled. This of course lights ALL of the lights on the dash. Anyway, I left the truck at the dealer and luckily the problem occured during a test drive.

In any case, the ECU might be something that would cause all of the issues you are seeing. Having just had my whole transmission replaced, I know that LR will replace expensive parts under warranty once the dealer rules out other possibilities. Intermittent problems can be bears to resolve quickly. Good luck.

- Erik
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    LR products are notorious for its plothora of mechanical problems,. Many LR/RR are leased as a result of this. Leasing a LR/RR will allow you to stay within the manufactures warranty and avoid paying out-of-pocket for unually premature mechanical repairs.

The reason being people, still consider LR products is because, image, and pound-for-pound performance capabilities of these vechicles. LR vehicles far exceed that of MB, BMW, Lexus and the like,. and offer the greatest of snob-appeal.

Hence, if you are in the market for an SUV and you are considering a LR/RR - LEASE a new one, and do not buy a used one! Buying one will cost you a arm and a leg! Just do the standard 12k mileage allowance for 36 months, not 39 months, those extra three months will cost you!
  • nhclaxnhclax Member Posts: 3
    Leasing only works if you can stay within the 12k mile mark per year. These days that's almost impossible. I average 15 - 25K per year and I work 3 miles from my home, and have a company vehicle. The way I see it,what ever you purchase is going to have its' share of headaches, so buy what you like and just deal with what ever comes up. I've owned 4 different SUV's they are all expensive to repair.
    All:

I may be relocating to the Pacific Northwest. Any Rover fans out there in the Seattle/Tacoma area? If so, any good trails?

Thanks, wasko
  • kellyjmorgankellyjmorgan Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 98 Disco LE. I believe the warranty is 4yr/48K? Is this correct? I was looking at buying a 96 Disco several years back, but decided against it with all the problems I was hearing about. But, it seems that the 98 and up are much better on Reliability. This one has 28K miles on it and is at a dealer here in the Central Florida area. Any info on what I should check out before buying would be great. This will be a second vehicle for me, (offroading, mt. biking, camping), so I'm not to worried about braking down. I just love how these vehicles can go almost anywhere.

thxs
    Nanuq:

Outstanding, I'll give Gord'n a call in January when I'm out there!

Just got our first 1/2" of snow here - wishing for about 6-8 more so I can head up north with the Rover and prowl around a bit.

Thanks, wasko
  • r6racerr6racer Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at purchasing a Discovery II (most likely an SE with ACE). I was wondering about normal maintenace costs. Are they fairly comparable to Japanese SUVs? What are the maintenance intervals and what can I expect to spend? I've heard of 50 dollar windshield wipers, is this true? and are there in any other items are unique to the Disco II series?

Thanks in Advance!

Art
  • waldrojewaldroje Member Posts: 4
    I posted a couple weeks ago regarding starting problems as well as Hill Descent and TC lights coming on. After working with LR technicians, my dealership seems to have fixed the problem, which turned out to be a faulty relay, which both lights and the fuel pump went thru. FYI.
  • jaugustajaugusta Member Posts: 1
    Hi -- Does anyone know Specifically what Pssgr. Door Speaker is in my 1996 Disco. (I don't have cd. I have two tweeters by the windshield, two door speakers, two rear corner speakers, ad a rear door woofer). The stereo is a "LandRover" Pioneer. Does anyone know what the door speakers are?
  • djg642djg642 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 discovery SE that I'm getting ready to sell here in Phoenix, but I can't figure out how much to ask for it. It has just over 50K miles and is borderline flawless both mechanically and cosmetically. I have seen people asking anywhere from $18,500 to $24,000 for the same type of vehicle. I was going to ask $23,000; any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!!
  • regattaregatta Member Posts: 1
    i am new to the rover experience and have just purchased a '96 discovery that did not have the owner's manual. i was just wondering if anyone knows the speed that i should not exceed when i have the differentials locked.
  • mobilmobil Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at various SUVs, I presently own an Isuzu Trooper but have lately been looking at a Discovery. I am interesting in hearing from anyone recently buying a 2001 and also if you found any dealers willing to negotiate reasonably on your purchase. Also, would like to hear from any Discovery owners about your experiences with service and any maintenance problems as the nearest dealer is over 175 miles away. Thanks
  • tag7tag7 Member Posts: 2
    I am in search of an Owner's Manual for a 94 Discovery. Have tried everything to no avail. Land Rover says the manual is out of print and can not be ordered. I tried various club sites that they referred me to, but none had any. Is there an owner of a 94 Disco out there who would be willing to mail me their manual so I could photocopy and mail it back? I would of course reimburse for all postage charges.
    I can be reached at tag3@westchestergov.com. Thanks
    Have you tried

http://www.wowpages.com/roversnorth/wwwboard/w3bbrr.html

yet? Those guys will bend over backward to help.

Regards, -Bob