Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    funcars2funcars2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback aeggroup.. I was actually thinking along those same lines.. I offered $42.5k but they didn't accept it.. Only moved $200. So I passed on this car and will keep looking.

Appreciate your response!
  • Options
    alexebialexebi Member Posts: 16
    I am
  • Options
    wilmer1wilmer1 Member Posts: 6
    can anyone post recent deals on a GL350 or GL450. just deal points and not speculation ?

I'm also dealing with a few local dealers around the beltway and $10K off would seem hopeful. I These posts regarding margins and what a dealer should make and not make are irrelevant. If any dealer is offering a discount, then it creates competition and a dealer can choose whether to compete or not compete. What they make isn't my business (but based on how lavish these dealerships are now, I'm guessing they aren't hurting)

Thanks

Wilmer
  • Options
    novuswsrnovuswsr Member Posts: 8
    where are you located, I have seen a 2008 GL with 30,000 miles for $37,000.
  • Options
    wilmer1wilmer1 Member Posts: 6
    I did just buy a GL450, $9K off sticker. Its not the best I've seen on this board but it wasn't a car out of inventory. They are getting it from another dealer, rather than chase this specific car down I forewent the $1K and just took it.
  • Options
    gummibear737gummibear737 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a GL 350 in europe for 58.5K Euro which was a 10K Euro discount from MSRP. At first I wanted to buy a factory ordered car and they were willing to give me a 7.5K discount. Unfortunately they stopped manufacturing (or taking orders on) the 2012 GL on March 1st. So I got something in stock and I got 10K off.

One side note about the price: in Europe they add VAT (value added tax) to that price but I didn't include those numbers cause it would just confuse everybody. A car that sells for 50K USD in the US would sell for about 50K Euro + VAT in Europe. Prices and Taxes are much bigger here!

But the point is that you can get about 10K off on 2012 GLs because it is the end of the x164 platform.

For what its worth, its a fantastic car.
  • Options
    Hi wilmer,

Thanks for sharing. What was the MSRP on your car? What was the actual purchase price?

I ask because the amount off depends on the base price...and proper comparisons can only be made when we know the base price. This way we can calcuate the % discount. So a 9K discount might be a 10% or a 7% discount.

Glad to hear from you as I am in the market and keen to get a good deal. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    Congrats on your new car!

Do you think it makes sense to wait for the new 2013?

What changes are planned for the 2013?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Why to buy a 2012 gl: 10k discount, maximum reliability on electric system and other problem reliability areas, ride/handling/comfort will not significantly improve

Why not to buy 2012 gl: redesign will make u obsolete, gadgets suck, end of life purchases are not sexy

Reality if you wait for 2013 gl: no/insignificant discount on MSRP, redesign is questionable but newness factor is cool, gadget will be much better, reliability is a question mark if you look at luxury car redesign history

Who should look at 2012 gl: if mercedes gl MSRP is at the high end of you price range (10k discount is big), the 2012 is a great if not so sexy deal. Comfort, quality and safety is unmatched

Who should wait for 2013 gl: if money isnt a big issue then you will be far more satisfied, but not in the practical areas.
  • Options
    Thanks gummibear for the very good points. When do you think they will release the new 2013 GL. Are there any available pics of the redesign.

As for discounts I am only getting about a 9% discount off MSRP from dealers I talk to. Approximately $6K on a 71K car. Any tips on how to get the larger 10K disocunt i.e. 14% discount. I am in the US and so far no luck at getting any thing close to the 10K/14-15% discount you mention.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    2013 gl is out this fall. If you want an idea of how it looks just google merc gl 2013 and there's plenty of spy photos. There are some cosmetic changes (headlights, sportier front) but overall it retains alot of style elements. It is still a big somewhat angular car and the back is still boxy.

If you want the larger (10k) discount i can recommend a number of approaches. First off is use patience to your advantage. They need to move the 2012s and the more you wait the more likely they will crack. Also, use the fact that factory orders are no longer possible to your advantage. Multiple visits to dealer help. The more time dealer spends with you, the more they will feel the psychological need to make a deal. Wait them out. Second shop around with multiple dealers and tell them the price at which you are ready to make a deal. Somebody will crack with prospect of having leftover inventory. Also, consider that they try to make money back on service so use that to your advantage.

I am convinced that you can get the 10k discount with a little patience and leg work. I'm not normally a tough negotiator, i actually hate it. However the prospective 2012 gl buyer is probably trying to buy a bit over their price comfort range so the discount is paramount. If money isnt an issue then wait for 2013...nothing better than being early driver of relatively rare model.

I negotiated my butt off for the final 2.5 k of my discount. I walked away. I came back. I told them i was going to buy a q7 or lr4. I played it cool and let them re-engage me. Bottom line, if you consider that this car is priced much higher than it should be, and that the decision to purchase is more emotional than rational, then dont be asamed to play hardball.

You will love the car so if you want to steal a mercedes on the cheap then this is your chance
  • Options
    Thanks gummibear for the encouragement and great tips. I think patience is the key. Currently my best offer is 6.5K off...that extra 3.5K is a big deal...especially for an end of cycle car. I'll be more aggressive...hopefully a dealer will aceept to sell at MSRP- >=10k.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Gummibear, I know you bought your GL in the EU, did you speciallly qualify for any incentives to get that 10K discount or was it just a straight discount. Some dealers have told me I do not qualify for some disocunts like the Conquest or USAA discount hence their inability to give me larger discounts.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Straight discount.
  • Options
    If the Invoice of a GL450 is 7% below MSRP and the delaer also gets a 3% of MSRP back as holdback that mean sin effect th etrue dealer incoice is 90% of MSRP.

so for a 70K car, the true dealer cost is about 63K which is just 7K below MSRP. So if people are getting cars at 10K below invoice, does that mean the dealer is selling it at a 3K loss...or am I missing something.
  • Options
    fq1fq1 Member Posts: 56
    Yes, you are missing the part that the invoice price minus holdback is not the true dealer cost. There are other incentives and kickbacks that dealers get that are never advertised, which provide dealers with their real margins on the car. Then the cash incentives are all on top of that. That is the reason people are able to get 14% or more off MSRP at times.
  • Options
    pacarguypacarguy Member Posts: 2
    Just closed (on March 31) on a GL450. P01 Package, Trailer Hitch, Rear Entertainment PreWire, Parktronic, Blind Spot assist, Heated steering wheel, running boards - MSRP 70740+1950 for Rear Entertainment System, Total MSRP = 72690. Sale Price = $ 65,000 - other discounts (employee) = 1500, Final Price = 63500. The 65K price reflects a 10.5% off the MSRP.

I have found this forum very helpful. Though I would contribute as well (if it helps others).
  • Options
    mp4937mp4937 Member Posts: 3
    2012 GL 350 BlueTec (New)
    Black/Black MB-Text interior
    Options: Premium 1, Parktronic, Blind spot assist, rear entertainemnt system, heated steering, side board with illumination kit
    MSRP $72,350, and dealer offerd $65,000.
    Is this a good deal? Any thoughts?

BTW: I just want to offer 60K + 1999 Nissan Altima (valued at $2300 trade in).
  • Options
    dewarsandsodadewarsandsoda Member Posts: 207
    Hi mp4937,
    I suspect that you can push for the $60K (or lower) as MB just introduced the completely revamped 2013 GL class which should be on dealers' lots in September...a mere 5 months from now.

My two rupees.
  • Options
    I settled for $63300.
    64,800 (sale price) - 1500 (FEP discount).
    Thats the best I could get for BlueTEC.
  • Options
    Is it really worth pre-purchasing maintenance plan (say 5 years)?
    Can any onne comment on howmuch in total they spend on maintenance?
    Thanks
  • Options
    srilankasrilanka Member Posts: 2
    what dealership please?
  • Options
    srilankasrilanka Member Posts: 2
    what dealership please..
  • Options
    drakaindrakain Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    I just leased my 2012 GL450, Premium 1 Pkg, 3-zone climate control, Parktronic, Blindspot Assist, Trailer Hitch, Pre-wiring for Rear Ent., MSRP on all of that is about $71,295 + destination, I paid $60K, with 59% residual on 42 months. $4000 out the door, seems like a killer deal to me.
  • Options
    wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Does sound like a great deal - what town, which dealership please.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Los Angeles, Beverly Hills
  • Options
    Congrats! That is a killer deal! Please let us know what the monthly payment was and if you had to do a lot of haggling.
  • Options
    jhczjhcz Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum. A local dealer has a 2011 GL550 loaded, ni miles. The sticker price is about $92K. He offered to sell it for $83K plus 100K miles certified warranty. I still think the is too high. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
  • Options
    $888 a month, no haggling, I was presented $915/month and asked to get it lowered to $900. He came back with $888 which actually made me think I should have haggled after that point. But being there for already 3 hours and a infant that was getting restless I was satisfied by the deal. I was upside down on a trade in so it accounted for a a bit higher monthly than it works out without the tradein.
  • Options
    Thanks! Which state did you register (trying to determine the without tax payment).
  • Options
    vroomvroom5vroomvroom5 Member Posts: 3
    Currently GLs are selling for 10-11 thousand below msrp so happy hunting!
  • Options
    timbright116timbright116 Member Posts: 1
    well that looks good
  • Options
    ymnik777ymnik777 Member Posts: 8
    Just singed a deal today. GL350, MSRP $75K, got it for $63,500.
  • Options
    dtumbadtumba Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone!

I've seen a lot of great posts about individuals purchasing a GL450 for 10-13% or even more below MSRP.

I'm curious on the breakdown between what makes up that discount? How much of the discount was from pure negotiation? From a conquest program? A cash incentive? A corporate partnership discount? Etc...

As an example, I'm looking at a 2013 GL450 (either finance or lease depending on terms). I have a corporate partnership program that gives me a $3,000 incentive. I can also include any cash or lease incentives available. The MSRP on the GL450 built through MBusa.com with the options is right at $74,000. I also drive a cadillac which may provide me with an additional incentive with the conquest program if they offer it (I've heard $3,000 is the number) for a trade-in.

This would be helpful in knowing how to approach the negoations!

Thank you in advance
  • Options
    wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Does that mean your dealer has the 2013 GLs? Or are you pre-ordering?
  • Options
    dtumbadtumba Member Posts: 3
    The dealers don't have the 2013s yet. They have the first one arriving the first week of September.

What I want to do is go to the fleet manager and have a custom order of exactly what I want so they have an immediate turn around on that inventory. I just don't know how aggressive to be in negotiating. I doubt the posters here have gotten 13%+ discount on MSRP purely by negotiating before other incentives.. but I'd like to know how close to or below invoice you can get before other incentives.
  • Options
    llngoc2llngoc2 Member Posts: 15
    I think people are getting 13+% on 2012 but not 2013, I personally got 18% off a 2012 GL at the end of July. (last day of the month/week probably helped) But for a brand new, redesigned model which is not even on the lot, 5% is usually a good rule of thumb and if you can 7%, it'd be a very respectable deal.

If you can get 13%+ on a custom order, redesigned model, there must be something serious wrong with this redesign then. :)
  • Options
    mcvolvomcvolvo Member Posts: 4
    just purchased a 2012 GL450...white, black mb tex, blind spot, P1, hitch... for 13k off MSRP. MSRP is 71.5 ..paid 58.5...got 2.99 apr too. Thoughts on this price? thanks!!
  • Options
    winegirl1winegirl1 Member Posts: 1
    About to buy my first mercedes, went in to lease but opting to buy. MSRP $69,700, we are at 56,700 with credit union financing of 1.49%, thoughts on pricing? is the prepaid mainantiance really worth it at $2400 for 4 years/45,000 miles? Thanks!!!
  • Options
    gl320drivergl320driver Member Posts: 3
    Price isn't bad, but I am assuming you're talking about a 2012. The financing terms are in your favor, the price seems high. When I bought mine at this time you should be able to get down to about 53k.

I would say the maintenance isn't worth it, but bear with me.

Your schedule would be every 10k miles or so. $199 for one, $299 for the other. Depending on if you're getting a 350, you have to consider paying for the additive which can be another 200 every SECOND service. So, if you drive about 12k a year, you're looking at about average 700 every TWO years or so.

That's only $1400 over 4 years, maybe a bit more. There's really no other maintenance that I've had to do, other than purchase tires (they wear pretty fast at around 27,000 or so).

IF it includes brakes, you may want to consider it, as my brakes are about ready to be serviced (I'm at 40k miles). I guess that would account for that extra $1000 in maintenance...
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Did you recently buy a new car because the financing offer was too good to pass up? If so, a reporter would like to talk with you about your experience. Please contact pr@edmunds.com by end of day Tuesday, September 25, 2012 with a brief account of your purchase and your preferred contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    Who has purchased a 2013 GL now. I have a 2010 GL 450 but am thinking of moving up to the 2013 version. What kind of pricing are folks getting out there on the new 2013s?
  • Options
    ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    I am targeting the gl450 2013 MB Lease special $699 for 36 month plus TTL and 795 acquisition fee. I want the dealer pick up the 5K cap reduction.
  • Options
    dinomandinoman Member Posts: 68
    PLEASE let me know if are successful of getting that deal. We are in the market for a new SUV by December. We are looking at the ML, X6, Cayenne, and GL. I was at the Mercedes dealer helping my dad lease a car. I test drove the GL, but it was too expensive to lease. They were only discounting it 3500 off MSRP. Lease would have been over 1000 per month.
  • Options
    tinytimtinytim Member Posts: 3
    Hi -

We just got a 2013 450 for invoice but had to agree to a money factor of .0021 (vs. their buy rate of .0016). Residual for 48 months with 12k per year was 54%.

We are also getting the 2013 550, this one for 1% over invoice - it had to be ordered, so we got exactly what we wanted but won't get the car until April.
  • Options
    SamZanSamZan Member Posts: 2
    MSRP: 74.5K, got it for 57.5K + Tax & Title. (22% off MSRP).

P2, MB Tex, DVD entertainment system, Blind spot assist, Running boards..etc.

Not sure if 30 HP more in 2013 Gl350..would make much difference?
    Budget wise..this looks like a good deal.
  • Options
    lex13lex13 Member Posts: 12
    I got a great deal on a 2012 GL450 (against advice I paid down the lease with a higher down payment). It is a 24 month lease and we love the car. Is it possible to stretch out the lease longer at this point (only been making payments for 6 months) or buy it out? I'm going to short sale my house and will take a credit hit for awhile and want to keep the car to ride out the storm. Thanks for advice....
  • Options
    nealitnealit Member Posts: 12
    what is the deal you got?
  • Options
    nealitnealit Member Posts: 12
    what is the term?
  • Options
    zzz2006zzz2006 Member Posts: 25
    We are looking for 2012 GL450 with less than 10000 miles. Lightly used or demo cars. The best offer we got so far was a MSRP 74K with 2500 miles for 59k.

Worthy it?

Thanks.