Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners Problems & Solutions

Comments

• tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Yup, perfectly normal. It's how the things programmed to work. Probably toyota's lawyers at work again (the same ones that programmed the nav screen!)

It doesn't make much sense- if you're going to remote start your car you are probably planning to drive it away somewhere!

tom
  • fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    Am I missing something?? How do you REMOTE start a TCH ?? Sorry for my ignorance, but I must have overlooked something. Thanks, Fred
    Hey Fred

It's an option on all Camry's. If installed, you can push a sequence of buttons on your remote and your car will start. The ICE starts up and warms the engine up- and gets your climate control started and you can have a warm/cool interior before you get into your car.

Not something I care to have (or have even used) but it was already installed on my car and they wouldn't remove it.

tom
  • fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks,

I have had tghis on my truck (I live in Michigan) and it sure is nice in the winter. Do you know if it can be installed aftermarket by the dealer, or possibly other places ??

Fred
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    Are you forgetting that someone ELSE could jump in and drive it away? I think that's why it is designed to shut off when the door opens. Just my guess.
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I would assume that it can be dealer-installed - I recall seeing a PDF of the installation instructions a while ago.
  • sailandrunsailandrun Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this site so hope I am posting this in a place where it can be useful. I bought my TCH at the end of June and have been very happy with the car - 38 mpg in hot weather. However...last week I drove to work and parked in my underground parking garage as usual. I put the car in park, shut down, got out of the car and hit the lock button on my FOB twice as I always do to lock the doors and turn off the lights. This time instead of two beeps/flashes I got only one and the headlights stayed on. I tried again with no luck, so I turned off the lights manually and locked the door with the manual emergency key. Concerned about the car's status I went down to the garage at lunch time and discoved that none of the FOB buttons worked. I entered the car manually and tried to start it. The only response I got was, "key not detected". After trying numerous times I called my Toyota dealer who gave me the number of the tow truck. The car was towed 20 miles to the dealer, and like magic, when the tow truck left, the FOB worked and the car started. The dealer kept the car, ran all the diagnostics and said everything was fine. They are guessing maybe there was some RF interference in the garage (for a whole day?) and said if it happens again hold the FOB up against the start button. I am praying it won't happen again, but other TCH owners need to be aware of this interesting possibility. It probably applies to any of their cars with the keyless ignition system, not just TCH.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Precisely, that is a safety feature for auto-theft...
    It shuts off when you unlock the doors with the remote (either pushing the button or grabbing the door handle). I actually don't know what happens if you broke into the running car and tried to drive off without the remote- it might work. :confuse:

If anything, the car should continue to run if the door was unlocked with the remote, and stop running if the door is opened without the remote.

It's not a big deal, but I think the remote start could have left the car running when you open the door so you can just drive away instead of stopping and then re-starting the engine. Just my opinion, of course. ;)

tom
  • twwilsotwwilso Member Posts: 1
    Had my TCH for just over a week now. A squeek has started that seems to come from the dash somewhere. also something in the rear deck lid is rattling over bumps as well.

has anyone had anything like this? i'm wanting to take it in to the dealer to have the fix it, but i'm afraid they won't do it or just tell me it's 'normal'...but it really bothers me to spend $34k on a new car that rattles more than my 4 year old car did.

todd
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    It's not that it's "normal," it's just notoriously difficult to locate and fix squeaks, rattles, and excessive wind noise.

Regarding the trunk, you could check to make sure the spare tire, jack, tools, and hard cover over the spare are secured properly.
    I have a squeak in the center console when the car is cold (it sounds like styrofoam being rubbed together) that goes away if I put pressure on the plastic plate forward of the shifter.

I also have 2 intermittent rattles, sound the same, in the B pillars or maybe the doors on the left and right. Haven't figured this one out yet.

I think because the car is so quiet it's easier to notice little noises. Of course, it doesn't make it less annoying.

I plan on taking my car in at it's first oil change and having them hunt down all of these noises. Hopefully they'll fix one or two of them.

tom
    Check the Camry Hybrid forum at greenhybrid.com. Several posters have done things they claim eliminated most of the center console squeaks. I have recently developed some as well and I hope to try some of the suggestions soon.
  • aforsteraforster Member Posts: 1
    This is a weird one, I searched and didn't turn up anything like this.
    We just got the Camry Hybrid yesterday. It's a base model, no navigation system. Sometimes (*but not always*) when we start the car, the radio display indicates that it is on, but no sound from the speakers. No response to volume knob, changing station, AM/FM band, changing speaker balances, etc. Just silence. If I turn on the hands free cell phone system, I get the voice, loud and crystal clear. If I allow it to get to the point where it is trying to locate a cell phone (which we also cannot get to work) and then cancel it, the radio comes on immediately after the cell phone system shuts off. If I turn the car off again, the process (sometimes) starts back over. The problem is intermittent, so I am worried that it won't do it for my service appointment on Monday. I have not read the manual yet for assistance with the problem(it's on the agenda for this weekend). Is there some special setting that I have activated that I can deactivate or is this a legitimate problem?
    Makes me wonder if the system is hanging having difficulty linking with your Bluetooth cell phone. I would suggest keeping your cell phone off when starting your car and see if you can duplicate the problem. It may not be a problem with the system, per se. Think of it like logging into Windows with a flaky mapped (network) drive and how sometimes things can hang until the device timeout period. Just a thought.
  • flopshotflopshot Member Posts: 14
    Why don't you delete your bluetooth phone pairing, and see if you have the same problem. I agree with the previous poster that the radio is probably having problem handshaking with your cell phone each time you get in the car. If problem goes away, then re-pair your cell phone and see if the problem comes back. There are certain cell phones which won't play nicely with the radio bluetooth.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Pairing was not easy in my car, using a Sony-Ericsson Z520a. Seems like the 2 systems had trouble seeking/finding each other. I had your issues for a brief time, the second or third time I called/answered someone after I paired there was no sound to me on the handsfree but they could hear me. I restarted the car and that was the extent of that problem, so far. Once in a great while the radio does the silent thing but it seems to go away when I cycle the mode button a few times.

If your problems continue it might be a bad radio.
  • santorinisantorini Member Posts: 1
    Yes, a squeak started on my TC during the second week of my ownership (purchased car on 8/6/06). I tried to locate the noise - it seems to be coming from the beverage console area. It is audible enough when the radio is not turned on to be quite annoying.

Don't be afraid of your dealer - this squeak is NOT normal and should certainly not appear in a, well, somewhat state-of-the-art automobile after just one week.

The rear deck is fine in my car - so far...
  • savsgassavsgas Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem, it appears to be fairly common. I took it to the dealer. The problem is some missing "shims" which are really just some felt pads that isolate plastic bits from rubbing together and causing the squeak. Except for it taking longer than I wanted, the fix did not cause any new problems and I have been squeak free for two weeks now.
  • mrsjenn25mrsjenn25 Member Posts: 10
    I have the same thing coming from the shift/drink area...

Definitely going to take it in now that I know it's common.

And my husband thought I was nuts.. pssh. Well, not this time :)
  • grakograko Member Posts: 6
    I recently fixed the center console with felt pads after my dealer's felt tape failed to stop that rattle. Now I notice that either the windows are rattling in the doors when the car hits a bump, or the outside door handles are vibrating. Has anyone had that problem and found the cause?
    Thanks
  • jacqo711jacqo711 Member Posts: 3
    I do hear something rattling on the passenger side of the car now and then. Wasn't sure what it was. Sounded like the passenger seat, but could be the door handle. Only heard it when I was alone, that's why I thought the seat. When someone's in that seat, I don't think I've heard it.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have heard the passanger seat belt buckle rattle against the door post when the belt isn't being used. Try changing the height adjustment to see if that helps.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    so, is there a decent summary of the significant problems of the new hybrid Camry? (if there are any)

I keep hearing of transmission problems, but I havent' seen much if anything real about it

anyone?

(I am a wanna be Camry Hybrid buyer - drove one this weekend and am interested in ordering one. I don't expect the car to be perfect, but I want to know what I am getting in to)
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    so, is there a decent summary of the significant problems of the new hybrid Camry? (if there are any)

I keep hearing of transmission problems, but I havent' seen much if anything real about it

The most "significant" problem in the Camry hybrid seems to be a squeak from the vicinity of the center console. I myself haven't had that problem and I've had my TCH since late May. Based on a few posts at greenhybrid.com the windshield also seems more prone to cracking than non-hybrid models.

No TCH transmission problems that I've seen reported anywhere. All the 2007 Camry transmission problems that I've read about are on the non-hybrid versions.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    awesome

hard to believe, but still awesome

are they making the TCHG in the U.S.? Is there still a bias toward wanting a Camry made in Japan, or has that bias subsided?

[I recognize that this is the kind of stuff we all should know already, but I'm rather new to the Camry hybrid idea since I had assumed I wouldn't like it. But now I need to catch up.]
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    are they making the TCHG in the U.S.? Is there still a bias toward wanting a Camry made in Japan, or has that bias subsided?

I don't think they are to start up until late Fall in Kentucky. I think they will make as good of a product as the Japanese but I wouldn't want one of the first 1000 to roll out that first week. (although I do have #579 from the Japanese plant

As for windshields, there were two people that had cracks and said they were prone to cracking. However others have given stories of rocks flying off with out damage. I know I've caught a couple of rocks already and do not have a chip problem. I guess the same logic would say they are prone to running into deer because we've had a couple TCH'ers hit deer as well.

I have a rattle on certain rough roads, but not often enough to complain yet about.

NO transmission (power splitting device) issues at all that I've heard about on the hybrid.

Other than my alignment was out I have had no problems in 11,900+ miles of driving and an AVERAGING 38.95 mpg
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    Small problem easily solved during a 4,800 mile trip concluded on Saturday!.
    Noticed a burning smell when we got out of the car several times. I first thought it was truck brakes since we first noticed it a rest areas along the last 660 mile grind of the trip. When I got home on Sunday, I had the bugs washed off the car and smelled the burning smell again in our driveway. I opened the hood and discovered that a foam rubber strip which had been secured with some kind of double stick tape to the top area of the radiator had come loose and blew back directly onto the catlytic converter which is near the front of the engine.. I'll say BURNT!... to a crisp!.
    I suppose this could have been worse if it became enflamed but as far as we know it didn't. I removed it and scraped the residue off of the catalytic converter with a putty knife. Problem is solved. I will ask the dealer about this problem this week during servicing. I don't think this is significant and I don't think there will be any long lasting issue with it, but do wonder why they put a cheap piece of self stick foam rubber near the engine compartment and so close to the catlytic converter heat source.
    So..if anyone else smells something burning, check this out first.
    WillyBill
    :confuse:
    I wouldn't worry a bit about the Japan vs. Kentucky manufacturing. The Kentucky plant has been in production since 1988, and my '04 and '05 Camrys were both built there. The same quality is there that was present in my Japanese-built 1997 Camry.
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    This may be a picky point but --- the 12v aux sockets in my TCH are extremely tight. I've tried different adapters and they are a hassle to remove. In fact the center console just about came apart when I removed my phone adapter. I put a radio shack adapter that take 1 plug and outputs to 2 and that seems to work well in the dash opening but the one in the rear of the center console is useless. Is anyone else experiencing the or did I get the odd ball one?
    \ :confuse:
    I use the one in the rear of the dash console for my radar detector (don't know why I hook it up driving under the limit now). I've had it in and out a lot. It is tight but seems "solid". My wife uses the one in the center of the console for her phone all the time with no problem
    I had the same problem with the rear center console one. Pulled out my cell phone charger and the whole panel came with it! I was going to talk to my dealer about it. Maybe they're smaller in Japan?

tom
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    not picky at all...i have the same problem...i actually have to hold the outside rim of the socket as i pull out my car phone charger...so now i just keep the charger pluged into the one in the dash, and only use the console one if i have to
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Bought a brand new (obviously, sorry) full-loaded TCH with the navigation system earlier this week. Because of the time of night that I picked up the car, the dealer could not do some of the "dealer add-ins" I requested so I took the car home and brought it back the next evening. Fine, no problems, and the car had 50 miles on it total.

Last night I go to pick my TCH up and it will not start. Two of the managers on duty could not get it to start. Neither electronic keys could get it to start. To say that I am upset is a bit of an understatement. No more than 50 miles on my brand new car and it won't start.

The only good news is, since it happened at the dealership, they no it wasn't anything I could have done. Indeed, it was one of the manager's who first opened my door and all. The downside is, since it happened at the dealership, I have no idea what they could have done.

Any way, has anyone else run into this and what could be the possible problem?

And most importantly, how to fix it so it never happens again?
    Is it giving you a message saying "key not detected", or is it more like a dead battery (dead hybrid battery)?

If they were working on it with the ignition on, and they aren't familiar with hybrids, could they have left it in Neutral for some reason and allowed the hybrid battery to discharge? (The engine can't charge the battery when the gear selector is in Neutral)...
  • spaziwkspaziwk Member Posts: 9
    My Dealer installed and After Market Automate AM1 Alarm in My Camry Hybrid. The Alarm manaual ays it can be re-programmed to not beep the horn when I lock and unlock the doors but does not tell you how to do the re-programing.

Does anyone know to Re-program the Alarm?
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    spiff72, would you mind if I hired you as my mechanic?

I picked up my car and they could not tell me why it would not start the other day but the chief mechanic guessed that his guys had worked on the car with the door open and/or lights on and had discharged the battery. The only thing was, however, we he had looked at the car it had charged back up. Evidently, when I tried to pick it up the other day, they had just finished working on it and the battery hadn't had a chance to power up.

Being honest, there is a thing or two about that story that I don't quite buy. However, so far I have had no problems with the car. I'm sticking with it for the time being and if nothing like this happens again, I'm willing to call it a fluke or something.

Thanks for your response.
    The below is not an issue with the 2007 TPMS but an incompetency of toyota dealership(s)....:

It is the 2nd time the Tire Pressure Warning Light comes on steadily after blinking for about 1 minute or more.

Before taking delivery of my 2007 TCH, I found the driver rear (RL) left tire had a screw on the tire tread enough to cause it 3 psi lower than the other tires. Anyhow, I told them to replace ONLY the tire and not the rim. After many attempts and frustration, I took possession of the vehicle and within 30 minute or so the Tire Pressure Warning Light came on steadily after blinking for 1 minute, so I pulled over to check if there was any tire with low pressure, but no issue there, so I drove the car again.

Next day I went to my local toyota dealer and told them that I am suspecting that the rim was replaced and not only the tire on the other dealership and when the service advisor called my salesman he said that only the tire was replaced and then I got so mad I took the phone and told the salesman to go and find out precisely what was done from the service manager and when he came back on the phone sure enough the whole wheel (rim+tire) was swapped from another non-hybrid 07 Camry XLE. When I asked him why?? Did not I say DO NOT do that only replace the tire, his response was this is what I was told they did (talking about QA service from Peterson Toyota, NC).

Now after supposedly they reprogramed the new ID code into ECU I got the Tire Pressure Warning Light on again after 6 days (maybe is a different issue -- not sure), but I believe they did not follow the below step to have all 4 ID codes reprogrammed into ECU (but 6 days to show the inaccuracy??):

"When replacing the tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter, all the separate ID codes of the 4-tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter must be registered. Even if only 1 tire pressure warning system valve & transmitter is replaced, the ID codes of all 4 tire pressure warning valve & transmitter must be registered again."

Will call on Monday and find out what the next step will be and hopeffuly the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) will have the specific error to get it fixed.

P.S.
    As an FYI, I have done multiple resets of the TPMS, but w/o any success.)
    I heard second hand that a corporate rep for Toyota was complaining about the new Tire Pressure Monitoring System, which of course was mandated by Congress after the Firestone tire/Explorer rollover problem.

He said this system is going to cause a lot of consumer dissatisfaction and complaints.

Too bad, because in theory, it seems to be needed, because too few people bother to regularly check their tire pressure with a gauge.
    Too bad, because in theory, it seems to be needed, because too few people bother to regularly check their tire pressure with a gauge.

Of all the unsafe things American's do I don't know why they had to mess with this. If people can drive without seat belts and ride motorcycles without helmets then why can't I drive without a TPMS. I don't have a problem with them but I want to install a set of winter tires on a seperate set of wheels for the TCH,and a Scion Tc. I just bought a set of factory OEM 17" alloy wheels on ebay for the Tc CHEAPER than what a set of 4 TPMS sensors will cost. If they are requiresd on all cars then there should be a standard and all of them interchangable (and cheaper)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    When are TPMS supposedly mandated? This is the first I have heard of it. It is an option on many cars. I can sure think of a lot of safety issues that are more important than monitoring tire pressure.
    I believe this model year (2007) is when all vehicles must have the system. This is a direct result of the Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

Plus, many studies have shown that a large percentage of tires are underinflated and not just by small amounts.

I check my tires with a gauge once a week and daily on long trips; I must be in the minority. No, they don't lose air that fast, but you never know when you'll pick up a nail, and I'd rather find out sooner than later.
    Precisely, and that is how I found a big screw on the rear driver tire before I sign the papers for my 2007 TCH purchase... no TPMS is as accurate as a digital/non digital air pressure gauge... my salesman was amazed and asked me how I found the screw on the tire and showed him my digital gauge and told him DO NOT leave home w/o it ;).
  • alancolesalancoles Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my TCH for 4 months and put over 5000 miles on it. I have had 3 problems so far:

1) The noise from the radio area. Solved by the dealer after 3 trips there.
    2) Water in the hood. After washing the car or after it rains, water seems to pool inside the hood. When the hood is opened, the water pours out onto the windshield. Does anyone else have this problem and has it been corrected?
    3) ICE occasionally doesn't turn off after stopping the car. These seems very erratic. Most of the time, the hybrid system works as intended but on some days it just doesn't want to cut the ICE out. Conditions are identical to when it does work well, so it is not an issue with the AC/lights, etc. Seems to be either a faulty sensor or a bug in the hybrid algorithm. Can't really show the dealer the problem as it happens randomly, about once every 2 weeks or so.

Anyone experience these problems and found a solution?
    I really wouldn't worry about #3. Sometimes that's just the way it is. There are a lot of variables that contribute to whether the ICE shuts off or not.

It has started getting cold here (30-40's), and I noticed that my ICE wouldn't shut off as much as it used to. I turned off the climate control system, and the ICE shut off almost immediately. When I turned the climate control back on, the ICE kicked back on. I assumed that this was just because the ICE needed to heat the coolant to provide cabin heat. I noticed on my next drive that the ECO mode was turned off, so I turned it back on. This seemed to allow the ICE to shut off more frequently.

I am pretty sure the dealer would tell you this is normal behavior for the hybrid system.
  • supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    I have the same "Water in the Hood"... when I open the hood, water drips on my windshield.

However, it appears to drip from the washer fluid spray nozzle. I am not too concern because I don't think the water is actually inside the hood, but rather in the windshield washer rubber tubings.

I did a quick test. The car is dry. Open the hood, and there is no water drip. Now close the hood, spray the windshield washer, then open the hood again. Now I have the drips. My conclusion is that it is from the windshield wash tubes, and not rain or other external water source.
  • stj4stj4 Member Posts: 27
    I had the same problem. About 3 days after buying my car, i plugged in my GPS, and the plug would not come off. Luckily I took it to the dealer (different one), on a saturday @ 5.15, and ran into their general manager (who noticed the camry hybrid, which their dealership had not received yet, was in early May).

He seemed interested in the car, got inside, and tried to pull it out, and the whole thing came off (i thought that was real funny) He then went inside the closed dealership, and got one of the mechanics, who put it back in, and took off the plug with a gentle twist.

The problem happened again, and now I have an inverter plugged into it semi permanently, and use the one next to the aux audio in which does not seem to nav this problem
    The car does run once it is started without the key.

It happened to me once. me and my wife were coming back, and I decided to walk the last 2 miles. Since I was driving, we stopped, i got out, , and she drove off in the car. Once the car started moving, she noticed it started beeping, and " no key fob detected sign came on, as she did not have her keys with her.

She kept driving, and stopped at home without problems.
    Hello everybody,
    does anyone know how toreset/ turn off the Maintenence required soon Indicator after an oil change? So far, I have done my own oilchanges on all my cars, and I changed the oil myself @ 4700 miles, and around 49xx miles, the Maintenance service required soon Indicator comes on every time I start the car.

BTW, this is the easiest car to change the oil of all the cars I had, including a saturn, a camry, and a Sienna

Any help is welcome.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    Come on. Can't you read your owners manual?

Maybe there is something else in there that you've missed.