Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

Comments

• dkarschdkarsch Member Posts: 72
    You truly show your ignorance if you think that a question about fuel mileage dropping in the winter can only be answered by a Yaris owner.

I guess the information from the EPA which micweb posted in reply to your message doesn't count?? Oh, let me guess, they don't drive a Yaris so their opinions don't count.

Based on your problem with pent up hostility, your drop in mileage is most likely due to an aggressive driving style.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    In that 90 day average, less than 5% is highway. It is also not city driving. It is mostly driving to and from work (37 miles round trip), on roads with a traffic light or stop sign about every mile. I usually do not have to drive to work during rush hour, so I can go easy on the gas. I do not drive below the speed limit, slowing drivers behind me. It does involve coasting when possible.
    I do have a scanguage II, which helps me to save fuel.
  • robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    "You truly show your ignorance if you think that a question about fuel mileage dropping in the winter can only be answered by a Yaris owner.

I guess the information from the EPA which micweb posted in reply to your message doesn't count?? Oh, let me guess, they don't drive a Yaris so their opinions don't count.

Based on your problem with pent up hostility, your drop in mileage is most likely due to an aggressive driving style."

There, you see, dkarsh. Once again you offer nothing relevant. I came to the Yaris forum and requested information from other Yaris owners. Qualified input. Information copied out off of other websites, "opinions," and general yack yack does not address my question. I can get that anywhere.

Did you notice that 2 or 3 posters have dropped in with real life data that is relevant? If you look closely you might see that there is an intelligent, civil conversation taking place. But, again, you drop by to offer absolutely nothing but more provocation. And I'm the one with "pent up hostility"? I don't know what your problem is, but it must be hard to spell.

And, oh, if you seem to get great gas mileage on your Corolla it's most likely due to running your mouth more than you run your car. Now, go find somebody in your own family to lecture. (I'll bet they seem disappear when the hear you coming don't they? ;) )
    lhanson, it looks like you started out with about the same highway mpg as I did. Your city was about 4 mpg better though, and I really babied mine for the first 2500 miles. Slow starts, lots of coasting (to the extent that can be done with an automatic), and I tried to vary my speeds the way the book says to. My city driving is not like downtown, inner city driving, though. I'm in a small suburban "city," so it's more like the "strip mall" part of town. I had been using "regular" grade gas exclusively until my last fuel up when I decided to put in "plus" (maybe 1/2 tank) thinking it might burn a little better in the cold whether. My mpg did come up about 1.5 mpg which was during the coldest spell to date. Of course, Plus is an extra dime a gallon.

Oh well, I'm up to 3000 miles now. Looking forward to converting over to synthetic oil and hoping to see some impressive numbers once the weather breaks.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Your driving environment pretty much describes my own. My car is garaged at night and I live near Memphis where our winter time temperatures about 15 degrees higher than yours. My commute to work is only 7.5 miles and I have about 6500 miles on the car after almost 10 months. I try to make sure that my tires have at least 40 lbs of air in them at all times. This is easy to forget when it freezing cold and it is very uncomfortable to be messing with an air compressor, but the cold air will cause you to lose a lot tire pressure which can significantly affect gas mileage.
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    ...I enter this forum. Seriously, no two vehicles come out exactly alike, and MPG can vary wildly. My '06 Corolla (no snickers please) gets 25 MPG in 50/50 city/highway driving, and I'm not Speed Racer. That would put me below average. I'm not surprised that Yaris MPG figures would fluctuate either. I just read a post on the Scion boards where a fellow is worried about his new xA only doing 25 mph as well.

Yaris owners, I'm jealous of your average 10 mpg improvement on my figures. Enjoy the savings.
    I have the 15" wheels and try to keep tires tires aired up to what the sticker on the door jamb says--32 if I remember correctly. The cold temperatures do make quite a difference. I've had to add air twice since fall.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Man, fastrunner, I like your mileage! When I first had my Echo I was striving to get that kind of mileage (in mainly commuter use and suburban driving, very little stop and go), and I found that if I really drove like there were eggs under the gas pedal, I could get my average up to like 42 or 43, which seems to be about where yours is. For me, achieving 40-41 mpg is very easy, requiring no special measures.

How come you fill up so frequently? Seems like you typically go to fill up when you've only used about seven gallons.

lucynethel: did you buy the new Accent hatch to replace your Yaris? Is your mileage a lot better now?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    I believe 40 PSI is too high and will result in accelerated wear of your tires. The recommended pressure is 32 and 35 is the maximum permissible pressure on most Yaris tires, at least they are on the Yokohama Avid Touring tires.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    Getting 1 MPG LESS with my Hyundai Hatch back.
    My Yaris came with 15 inch Goodyears with a maximum 44 psi rating. What does everybody else have? Do you suppose the odometer might be set to work with something other than 15 inch tires? A 14 inch tire would then get better mileage than a 15 inch tire, right?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    My sedan has 15 inch Bridgestones with a maximum 44psi also.

Mileage would depend more on the width of the tire. Wider tires would have more friction, lower mileage, but better handling.

A difference in overall height would change the speed on the speedometer and miles on the odometer, but would probably not effect the "actual" mpg.
  • osiris_9osiris_9 Member Posts: 3
    I use my yaris hatch auto for courier work and drive 450+ miles perday. 90% of that is highway at 80 mph. I had my Yaris for 2 weeks and already have 4000 miles on her. Currently I'm averaging 38 mph
    Wow, there must be something about your driving pattern that is hard on the gas consumption if you are now doing worse in the Hyundai. Of course, the EPA ratings on the Accent are a lot lower than Yaris's, and yet your mileage only dropped by 1, so I guess there is a silver lining there...

OMG, osiris! That's 100K miles per year! How often does your employer buy you a new car??

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

In all fairness to ANY car we own, it's the traffic. Leaving our house, it takes 13 -15 minutes to get TO a freeway that is stop & go. In those 6 miles and 13-15 minutes to that freeway, there are (we timed this!)6-7 minutes STOPPED at LONG red lights). Then 21 miles at 5 45 MPH of the so called "freeway". Just not what everyone else here considers "CITY" OR HIGHWAY " use I would suspect? But we took the Yaris on 1 single trip to a local mountain resort and only got 34 MPG on all highway use at 65 MPH on slight hills etc, so who knows. Just glad everyone loves their car. WHATEVER brand it is.....
  • dkarschdkarsch Member Posts: 72
    Information copied out off of other websites, "opinions," and general yack yack does not address my question.

Funny how EPA info isn't good enough for you. Of course some actual Yaris owners would respond but that doesn't mean that other wouldn't also offer their experiences as winter weather affects ALL cars.

Let's also remember that you were the one who started this when you jumped down Backys throat for offering up his experience with winter driving. Someone who replies to a post trying to help doesn't deserve to get treated like you treated Backy. If Backy and other non Yaris owners shouldn't post in the Yaris forum, does that mean that, since you own a Yaris, you will stay out of all the other forums??

I've had a blast getting under your skin but it all could have been avoided if you were a little less abrasive in your replies to the non Yaris people who were just trying to help you. In any case, I've made my point and am done with this little back and forth. If it makes you think before you blast someone for trying to help you in the future, then it was well worth it.
  • osiris_9osiris_9 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a independent contrator. I must provide the vehicle. The good thing is I get to write off the miles. Last year I logged 120k . It really helps when it is time to pay sam's taxes. I'll just put a new mill in her when she hits 200k. She is a toyota. I just change the oil every two weeks and flush the tranny every 20k. This car will last for a long time
  • wsladaritzwsladaritz Member Posts: 1
    Don't get your hopes up. I have been driving my 07 Yaris Hatchback since mid-October. I also fill up with 10 gallons every time and calculate my mpg. The best I have gotten so far is 34 mpg when about half the tank was used on hwy. I've also gotten down to as low as 26 mpg. I average about 29/30 mpg. I've tried taking back roads where I won't have to stop, and starting/stopping slower. I can't find anyway to help improve the mpg. I have almost 7k miles on it now.
  • codlotcodlot Member Posts: 5
  • saluki2saluki2 Member Posts: 1
    According to fueleconomy.gov there will be new guidelines to calculate fuel mileage in 2008. There is a calculator to see what previous ratings will be using the new guide lines. From what I see so far it looks like around a 10% reduction in mileage in both city and highway. The MT Yaris goes from 40 to 36 mpg highway and from 34 to 29 mpg city auto goes from 39/34 to 35/29 under the new standards. Looks like around 10% for everything I've seen in this class.
  • jollyreaperjollyreaper Member Posts: 9
    Purchased Oct '06, mileage calculated after each fillup, 3146 miles and counting. Driving is typically 5.6 miles to work and back with occassional trips outside of that range. Some weeks are nothing but that commute, other weeks include 50 mile highway runs to remote jobsites.

'07 Yaris Hatchback Automatic

Total average is 27.79mpg. This includes stop and go traffic on my short commute to work, long hauls, etc. Doesn't fluctuate much at all. I start and stop at an easy pace but do have to drive above the speed limit to keep from getting anihillated on the interstate and turnpike. Located in Palm Beach County, Florida. Our only hills are the highway bridges. :) I run with air when it's hot. In our brief brush with weather that is not quite hot as summer (I hesitate to call it winter) I would drive with my windows down when in regular traffic but would put them up and use vent when at highway speeds. Never saw any of that reflected in the fuel use.

I took it in to the dealer to see if there was anything wrong with the car and they said no, ran it through the computer diagnostics and everything. I kept getting mixed message on whether modern engines still need a break-in time, whether fuel economy improves in time, how long it takes for the onboard computers to learn your driving style and adapt to it, etc. The dealer told me the computer takes about 5000 miles to learn you. I asked him what happens when the battery is disconnected. He said there's a 20 minute capacitor in there and if a new battery isn't hooked up by then the computer resets. WTF? My bloody cell phone can store my info in non-volatile RAM when I swap batteries pretty as you please.

Now what is this overdrive everyone keeps talking about? There's no "sport/economy" button on the automatic column like I had on my previous '91 Honda Accord. The shifter does have that left/right rocking motion it can do but I could never find anything in the manual to explain what that was for.
    What's this third gear thing everybody is talking about? How do you make sure you're not doing that? Every automatic I've ever driven, you put it in the D gear one click down from neutral, you know the automatic will select the right gear from all the options. Is this car different for some horrible and twisted reason?
    lol When I was a kid I was all "rah-rah America first, buy American!" When I got my first car, it was a point of honor to get something American. Ford Tempo! And that's the LAST American car I'll ever drive. What a POS! I'm annoyed about my Yaris not getting quite the fuel economy I was expecting but in every other way it blows that Tempo out of the water, then puts the pieces back to together and refloats it so it can be blown out of the water again!

I had a Honda Accord wagon as my second car. Damn good engineering but definately getting a bit old and long in the tooth by the time I traded out. I plan to own this Yaris until it falls apart, I hate car payments.
  • jcash2dsjcash2ds Member Posts: 29
    Driving is typically 5.6 miles to work and back...Some weeks are nothing but that commute,

Well, perhaps by the time you reach your destination the car is barely warmed up. Also, some places have the 10% ethanol in effect. Overdrive is 4th gear (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes, One drop-click below Neutral is what you should be driving on. If you push it to the left, you are limited to 3 gears, which will have drastic effects on your mileage, especially during those 50 mile highway runs.
    There is no emoticon for the look of blank....confusion. So I'm nerfing my car's performance with the left/right clicky thing? Why wasn't that in the manual? I read the whole transmission section to see if this had anything to do with anything and no mention of it was made! Ok, this is replacing "lack of cruise control" as worse feature about the car.

Could I have been causing damage driving in third gear like this?
  • jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    "I do not slow down other drivers with my coasting. If someone is behind me, I use the gas to keep moving."

I'm a big coaster too, with my Honda Fit. I shoot for half miles, though usually do only 0.1 or 0.2 (it adds up). In hilly terrain you can coast a lot more, of course. As an alternative to suddenly adding gas if someone comes up behind you, you can gently give it a bit more gas at the beginning in order to maintain polite speeds for the coast. I don't feel bad creeping to a stop light, but it's rude to go too slow if someone needs to get into the turn lane ahead or the light is green. To push things further, you can also sometimes use engine braking (which uses no fuel) in situations where you need to decelerate, rather than coasting (which uses a small amount of fuel to maintain idle). Not sure if I'm right about that last one, though, just what it seems to me.
    "There is no emoticon for the look of blank....confusion. So I'm nerfing my car's performance with the left/right clicky thing? Why wasn't that in the manual? I read the whole transmission section to see if this had anything to do with anything and no mention of it was made! Ok, this is replacing "lack of cruise control" as worse feature about the car.

Could I have been causing damage driving in third gear like this?"

See pages 125-127 of your manual. It is explained there and will answer your question.

Don't feel too bad; I did the same thing. But, fortunately it was with the Scion loaner we were provided before our Yaris arrived. My wife was the one who brought it to my attention when she noticed me leaving the shifter in 3rd gear. Although I initially protested she said, "I read it in the manual." Upon actually looking at the labeling of the shifter and "thinking" I had to agree with her. :blush: What are ya gonna do?

It isn't a design or documentation deficiency. It's "us." If you're used to driving a car with an "in-line" shifter pattern it's an easy mistake to make. Maybe they could improve the manual with some bold, colored text to draw this to the readers attention, but a lot of people would probably still overlook it. Who reads the manuals anyway?
    "You don't "slam it" back into gear, you match the revs to the speed and slip it back into gear without a quiver."

Do you really need to rev-match on contemporary cars like the Yaris? (Is this what they used to call "double clutching"?) I thought automobile manual transmissions ensured the gears were always in synch before meshing, in comparison to, say, my vespa scooter which would grind if you don't match the rpm's.
    Yes, all manual transmissions have synchros on every forward gear, but you can sure take it easier on your synchros if you do what I described. And certainly if the speed of the engine is very different from the speed of the gear you are trying to engage, you may get the occasional "crunch" if you don't rev-match, depending on how good your car's synchros are.

And no, that's not double-clutching.

"To push things further, you can also sometimes use engine braking (which uses no fuel) in situations where you need to decelerate, rather than coasting (which uses a small amount of fuel to maintain idle). Not sure if I'm right about that last one, though, just what it seems to me."

Any time your engine is running, it is using gas. It can't run without it. So coasting in gear (with a manual) using the engine to brake uses roughly the same amount of fuel as just allowing it to idle. But engine braking will increase the life of your brake pads and helps the piston rings seat as well. :-)

"Yes, all manual transmissions have synchros on every forward gear, but you can sure take it easier on your synchros if you do what I described."

One way to match the revs from neutral to a gear is to blip the throttle a bit before shifting. I don't like that because it's wasted gas--which is what I'm in neutral trying to avoid. So what I've been doing most of the time is shifting into a slightly higher gear than is recommended in my manual. A higher gear means lower rpm, which results in a closer rev match to neutral; and since I'm already coasting I don't really need as much torque. Make sense?
    "Any time your engine is running, it is using gas. It can't run without it. So coasting in gear (with a manual) using the engine to brake uses roughly the same amount of fuel as just allowing it to idle."

If you're idling the engine has to use fuel to keep things moving just enough. But if you're engine braking, doesn't the ecu on cars like the yaris shut off the fuel injectors? The moving pistons from momentum keeps it "running", no?
    I read on & ON about this poor gas mileage and how it has GOT to be for a bunch of ridiculous reasons on "THIS" group. Yet every other REAL group of owners show a ton of us who just don't get good gas mileage!Seems to be tied to age AND driving expertize of the members of the "REAL" Yaris groups too. Suggest everyone try:

http://www.yarisworld.com/

And for the RECALLS:
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/yaris/71419
    -yaris-recalls/

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/f6.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/f26

There are so many more if anyone discovers GOOGLE......

Point being, a LOT of folks routinely get 25-26 MPG City and 30-32 MPG Highway. A LOT of folks are just "dreaming".......
    I read on & ON about this poor gas mileage and how it has GOT to be for a bunch of ridiculous reasons on "THIS" group. Yet every other REAL group of owners show a ton of us who just don't get good gas mileage!Seems to be tied to age AND driving expertize of the members of the "REAL" Yaris groups too.

Didin't you give up your Yaris? You are the one still looking in every nook and cranny for something against the gas mileage...

Suggest everyone try:

http://www.yarisworld.com/

Yes do look at YarisWorld.com - a great bunch of Yaris fans there. Here's the link:
    http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38

Look for yourself and tell me how many- better yet, what percentage- of the people are getting the "horrible mileage" you claim. What is horrible? 29?? That beats most other cars' Real World MPG, any make, any model in the city.

And for the RECALLS:
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/yaris/71419
    -yaris-recalls/

As for recalls, maybe you need to read the article before you try and scare someone.
    Link: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/yaris/71419-yaris-recalls/

Comment : "" NEWS: Toyota recalls vehicles over faulty engine part

TOKYO (AP) -- July 18, 2006 — Toyota said Tuesday it is recalling about 420,000 vehicles globally, including some Echo and Prius models sold in the USA, over a faulty engine part.
    The faulty part is the latest in a string of problems requiring recalls by Toyota, raising doubts over whether the automaker can maintain quality standards amid booming sales.

The recall affects about 150,000 cars sold overseas, mainly in the United States and Canada, Toyota spokeswoman ...said. These autos were manufactured in 2001. ""

Had you actually read the forum, you would've noticed it is talking about Echo and Prius models, manufactured in 2001. The Yaris is new for 2007, isn't it?

There are so many more if anyone discovers GOOGLE......

Point being, a LOT of folks routinely get 25-26 MPG City and 30-32 MPG Highway. A LOT of folks are just "dreaming".......

What do you consider "a LOT" ? 10, 15 people with mileage under 30 mpg ? considering the tens/hundreds of THOUSANDS of Yarii sold, in reality, your "LOT of folks" turns out to be a minor, and unfortunately unlucky, percentage.

Fuel Economy . Gov
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=mpgData&vehicleID=22749&browser=tru- e&details=on

4 out of 24 vehicles from different states registered under 30 mpg. :sick:

On the other side of the spectrum, 6 out of those same 24 cars registered 39+ mpg. O the injustice! :cry:
    Liar, liar pants on fire! :P
    Yes, that makes good sense, but you should be careful not to lug the engine, which can damage it and/or the transmission over time.

And in the larger picture, you have to ask which will cost you more over time, the 0.05 ounce of gas that throttle blip costs you each time, or the extra bite out of your gear synchros each time you put it in gear.

No, the throttle plate has an idle position that allows some air/fuel mixture to get through at all times - this is where it sits when you are engine braking. That air and fuel has to be burned or the engine would flood as you were driving along. Not to mention, you would have the most drastic engine braking ever! You would never need your brakes at all with that much engine braking. :-)

Turning your ignition off while the car is running turns off the fuel injection system. Imagine doing that, and that is how much engine braking you would have if normal engine braking worked as you described. Of course, that would be super-jerky and inconvenient - in fact, that is why Toyota came up with HSD, to do exactly what you describe for real! In Toyota hybrids, the gas engine ignition and fuel injection shuts down as soon as you step off the gas and the engine itself quits - the electric motor steps in to make the transition smooth (eliminating the "super-jerkiness") and collect electricity from the car's momentum at the same time.

Try simply reading the TRUTH at:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=22749- -

......... Yes, I have seen the new EPA MPG estimates. Did you read the fine print "Use the new EPA MPG estimates to compare to 2008 and later model year vehicles."

This will be the new method of estimating mileage in future vehicles. The numbers they have posted for the Yaris are simple calcuted estimates for 2007 and older vehicles. Keep in mind the new system recalculates EVERY car's mileage, not solely the Yaris. Therefore, you will see a drop in Yaris mileage estimate, as well as any other cars, including your Hyundai. :)

Furthermore, while this is an "estimate," no guessing/approximating speaks louder than the actual numbers posted by drivers themselves. AGain, look at the average : 34.5 based on 24 vehicles.

Aren't you the OP that ran out of gas because you failed to notice your gas was blinking? ...seems to speak volumes about your attention to detail...

and maybe:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4222

What is the point of this link? Yes, this person is getting under 30 mpg. I guess the sky is falling and we need to recall the Yaris....what a horrible car. Can you believe someONE actually got less mpg than what is stated on the label ???!!!

o for comparison...I'm getting 35 mpg in the city. Guess they need to recall this one too, huh? ...better start shopping for that Accent..
  • spaminajamspaminajam Member Posts: 13
    Glad you agree! :)
  • kenray1kenray1 Member Posts: 2
    07 Yaris Liftback manual transmission.

Just finished the tank the dealer put in, and did my first fill-up. 35.37 mpg!!! Sure beats the 12 mpg I was getting in my Dodge Ram p/u. I'm saving more than enough on gas to pay the Yaris' car note.

I have a 70 mile R/T work commute, mostly interstate around 75 - 80 mph with the a/c on low. That's probably 80% of my miles. The rest is really heavy stop & go city traffic. I haven't altered any of my driving habits to try to increase my mpg, having too much fun zipping around.

When I filled up, I did put in a 10% ethanol blend. I had never heard about that reducing mpg. I'll watch for that, and let you guys know.
    Did the tank of gas from the dealer have ethanol in it? My experience with ethanol is that it will reduce your mpg by about 10% over non-ethanol gas.
  • roadie85roadie85 Member Posts: 1
    I am just about ready to purchase a Yaris Sedan with the manual transmission and would like to know what miles per gallon other owners of this particular model have been getting.
    Check www.fueleconomy.gov or read back through this thread.
  • lovcomlovcom Member Posts: 5
    I have the 2007 Lift-Back model, with auto-tranny....I too often have your same type of commute, and justed wanted to say that if you keep your speed down to 65 mph, you should be getting what I get: 44.5 mpg...no lie...when driven like an old lady, the Yaris really sips gas. Since you commute a long ways, I would suggest you get the ScanGuage II...which plugs into a port below and to the left of the steering column of your Yaris...it gives realtime MPG, tach, average MPG, by the tank, the day, prior day, air intake tempurature, water temp, plus many more variables....
  • alexismariealexismarie Member Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing a Yaris hatchback for the gas mileage. My driving is perhaps 30 city 70 hwy. I wonder whether the full options package - the additional airbags, etc, would have any effect on gas mileage due to added weight?
    Sure, any time you have to move more weight or power more accessories the trade-off is increased fuel consumption. You have to balance whether the conveniences and safety features are worth the trade-off. I'm not sure whether there is information available to quantify the difference in gas mileage. But, the extra fuel cost due to adding an option package to a Yaris would probably be less than the cost of running the A/C or the extra weight of carrying passengers. Most people probably wouldn't worry about it.

I have a Yaris hatch with convenience package, cold weather package, side curtain airbags, and ABS. At just over 5,000 miles, now that the weather has warmed up, I've been getting just what it's rated at--34/39. In fact, on my last tank--which had no highway miles--I got 36.6, so it seems to be getting even better. Yay! :)
  • rocketman10rocketman10 Member Posts: 20
    Kenny, I get the same kind of mileage as you do..when I travel highways, I go about 60 mph and get the same kind of mileage you do and I get where I need to go in the same amount of time...so I am very, very pleased with my Liftback automatic:)
  • nightfrog65nightfrog65 Member Posts: 3
    Vehicle Description:
    2007 Yaris Liftback- 5 Speed MT
    Mileage: 1050 mi

Fuel Economy
    100% Highway Miles-40.7 mpg
    65% City 35% Highway- 37.3 mpg.

Average 65-70 mph when driving highway miles
  • tbg1tbg1 Member Posts: 22
    Dallas, TX city traffic (almost exclusively). Mostly trips to/from work that involve roughly a 34 mile daily round trip on Central Expressway (crawlway), US Hwy 75 in north Dallas. Typical big city, heavy rush hour traffic, morning and evening.

My car is a Liftback with automatic transmission and A/C (which, thus far, hasn't been used extensively). I filled up at the same gas station (Sam's Club) each time which uses a 10% ethanol blend.

After 5,100 miles I'm averaging right at 34 mgp (33.9). This is virtually 100% city traffic driving. This is in line with what the window sticker said (as best I recall).

The one thing I've changed in my driving habits is that I don't stomp down on the accelerator any more (doing, so-called 'jackrabbit starts')... I tend to accelerate from a stop at a more gradual pace now. This seems to be easier on the small engine and I believe probably helps with the mileage. :)