Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    What a great question! I bet there's no correction necessary. Let's say you're at sea level with ~30" mercury. Drive to the top of Pike's Peak and you're looking at perhaps 16" mercury. But consider that aircraft tires may go from sea level to 40,000 feet... and they don't explode at altitude.

I bet the limiting factor is the tire carcass, not the reverse restraining pressure from outside.

Anyone have some hard info on this?
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    On the ACE issue, I'm afraid I am not qualified to assist, I'm not a technician. The cupholders will fit any Discovery, Series 1 or 2, but are not available yet (except on new vehicles, sigh)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    But consider that aircraft tires may go from sea level to 40,000 feet... and they don't explode at altitude.

I wasn't concerned about exploding tires! Certainly aircraft tires are designed differently from road tires.

I was thinking about smoothness of ride, safety and factors like that. It would seem to me that "stretching" tires at higher elevations might put the tires into a different area of the elasticity curve, like becoming stiffer when driven near Pikes Peak compared with Key Biscayne.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Yep, it's a good question. What I meant to convey was the tire carcass is designed to handle a wide range of external pressures (aircraft tires being the extreme) consequently their carcass construction will be the controlling factor. To paint a mental picture, consider an inflated toy balloon vs. an inflated kevlar bag at sea level. Take them to 40k' and the toy balloon will pop while the kevlar has enough tensile strength to prevent overexpansion.

I know my tires warm up even when it's cold out, but they're nowhere near as hot as tires in Florida would be. BUT, when it's nasty cold they get "flat-spotted" and they roll rough the first few miles. I bet they're dangerous at that point. But once they've rounded out they seem to grip the road well. Driving at 12,000' last July it was 40F and the tires' performance was indistinguishable from sea level. But, on roads like that you're not really pushing for max Gs in corners either... (grin)

I suspect ambient temperature has more to do with the tires' performance than altitude. Any other ideas anyone?
  • Options
    expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    Has anyone learned anything from the Ford tire experience? Just because the vehicle manufactuer wants the tires deflated for a smooth ride it does not do much for the tire itself. I feel that heat generation is the key here. Underinflated tires, true, will give you the best ride, but the trade off is heat. The true test is wear and noise production. I have always found that 32-35 psi for passenger tires, cold, produces the best wear patterns, reduces cornering noise, increases load capacity and keeps the heat down. This 32-35# almost always is the number stamped on the tire itself. When a Ford recommended 28# they took on millions of dollars of damages and liabilities. I think I will stick to my recommended tire pressures. I kept my Burb at 45# for its entire tire life and this is what was stamped on the tire for maximum load carrying capacity. It produced a harsher ride, but what are suspensions for anyway. I feel that 28# in the front of my rig will produce a mushy ride, generate excessive heat and lead to premature tire wear and possible failure. Happy Motoring!!!
  • Options
    oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    :) I just had the coupling on the drive shaft replaced, the bushing was blown to bits! <--repair helped with vibration, but the "crickets" only sound when I am at speeds above 20mph and are worse when I turn to the left... my mechanic pal sprayed my serpentine with silicon, it's not too bad, some small cracks, but nothing to worry about. The worst thing my baby is going through right now, is this thumping kind of vibration below the driver side and feels suspension related. I mentioned to my mechanic that the steering/suspension issues were reminiscent of steering damper problems I had last year....hhmmm any ideas?! I'm happy to know I'm not the only one disappointed by the new Disco II, but I'm sure Ford fans would like it!!! (:O} ...I hate to insult LandRover, but at least I know mine is a Solihull original. talk to you soon:) defender.....series....less plastic, more steel :)
  • Options
    jempghjempgh Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know if keyless entry fobs for the 1997 model year can be reprogrammed for DII's(1999 specifically)? The Lucas part no. is 3TXBKEY if that helps. Thanks...
  • Options
    Hello again! Hmmmmmmm, crickets. I have something kinda like that, my front fascia (plastic, hanging-down air dam thing) is loose-ish and when I hit shudder bumps then it squeaks on its mounting screws. Problem is, how the HECK do you get at them to tighten??? :) There must be one ancient guy at Solihull that knows how to do that job and that's why they keep him around. I sure can't figure it out.

About the suspension thump, look at the front middle mounting point for your rear suspension. There's an A-frame under there doing the job of a Panhard bar, and its forward mounting point is about under your butt... any looseness there will be felt by your most sensitive measurement device.

I think I'll run right home and give my driveshafts a squirt of grease! Yikes, you reminded me that I haven't done that in awhile...

:) It's sub-zero here and the Disco is so stinking quaint in these conditions. I leave her outside all day and then when I want to go someplace in the evening she fires right up but delicately (tho vigorously) complains about having to move. She'll do it, but WOW is she sluggish! After 10 minutes the lubes are stirred up a little and she starts to cooperate again.

Nice hearing from you!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input.....Bodhi gets slow when it's cold, but she likes a long ride and then seems to feel better....she's feeling somewhat back to her old self, so I am happy.....talk to you soon.....btw, how is the great north these days?
  • Options
    roo514roo514 Member Posts: 6
    From my experience...

1. Have had a 2001 Disco II for about 4 months and haven't had any problems with it. The dealer seems to be quite responsive and we recently went on an offroading trip with them in Hollister, which was great fun!

2. Can relate with your dog fur problem as we have a husky and a retriever (big dogs, big shedders!). They ride in the back (not allowed on the seats) and we cover the backs of the rear seats with sheets. I think the leather is better since the fur doesn't stick.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • Options
    john1313john1313 Member Posts: 16
    Ok, so I got my preapproval loan taken care of, my option requirements decided on, and the Vienna Green color chosen. I was wondering if any of you can tell me how much over invoice is a good deal? I live in the Bay Area (San Jose, CA)and would like to start the negotiating process by this weekend. The Edmunds TMV is not available for the '02 so who better to ask than you current owners. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    I hate to disappoint you, but the Discovery II is still a Solihull original. This vehicle was designed long before Ford took over. The changes that have been instituted since the changeover have all been in the quality of the vehicle.
  • Options
    Personally I am glad that my rig was built before Ford took over. With comments from my brother-in-law and his DII friends and my 10K of use these are the best models ever built.
  • Options
    Trust me, the product being received in the U.S. today are the best quality vehicles Solihull ever produced. Ford's contributions to modernizing the Assembly plant and training the production staf have made a huge difference, just as they have done with Jaguar and Aston Martin. Ford has had little if any influence in the Discovery, and you won't see any influence until the 04 redesign.
  • Options
    bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    Tincup,

Let's all hope Ford keeps their finger out of the pot. I'd hate to see them screw up the great unique vehicle the DII is. The last thing the world needs is another SUV redesigned to look like a minivan like the ML320 and the back end of the '02 exploder. Improved quality is good but leave the rest alone.

Almost 4 months and 6500 miles on my truck and I'm as satisfied with my decision today as the day I drove her home. Owning a Rover is a relationship not just another car. Similarly the dealer is about customer service not just "will that be cash or credit".
  • Options
    I'm glad your truck is feeling her oats again, that's the way these babies are supposed to run... like scared cats. Have you talked to anyone about a Borla exhaust?? That'll make your pussycat sound like a leopard.

The great white north is just that... great, VERY white, and north! We've got a lot of snow the last few weeks and now the temps are hanging around zero to -10F. My bike ride this morning was -5F and the toes got a touch frostnipped, but soon warmed up.

:) Last night at the troop meeting some of the guys were hanging out in the parking lot when I got there, they'd done some donuts with 2WD pickups so I pulled in and touched the parking brake to set her into a slide, then gassed it and worked the steering wheel, performing a *perfect* 4 wheel drift around their trucks, and backed her into my parking spot.

The crowd goes wild! Perfect 10s across the board except from the British judge... these trucks are to be "refined" into parking spots, not "tossed". *wink*

WARNING: take it easy on the parking brake to set her into slides... you can TRASH your transfer case!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    heh, I used to parallel park in front of my house with my Tercel like that all the time Nanuq. Well, except for the 3 months of the year when the asphalt was showing through the ice and snow. I miss my hand brake :)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Still no snow in the mountains, no rain in the valleys, and the temp is a balmy 65 degrees. One rain day to test my new rig this winter. It hung the corners like a cat and even under full throttle no side to side movement. Like I said before, "what a perfect vehicle for the wife and kids." The piece of mind is priceless. Have any of you guys rode in a 2002 Exploder lately? We put our company vehicle in 4X4 the other day and I thought the front end was going to come apart with all the noises heard and vibrations felt. Long live full time 4X4. The mileage is the same as the Exploder,16mpg. Go Figure.
  • Options
    waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Hello all!

It's been awhile. Travel hockey for my son is keeping us busy - it's about 35 miles each way (plus traffic).

Nanuq & Ocean - I hear what you guys are saying about DI's. I cursed at mine when I had it - it would make me swear like a sailor. But do you know what? I miss that Landie. It had character - a lot more character than my DII.

The DII is more like the appliances you've spoken of in the past, Nanuq. Sure, it has character, but I find myself *frequently* missing my DI. Is that crazy or what? Better handling, more acceleration, better sound system, and more space in the rear. But not my DI...

The Defender is running great and whenever I long for the days of yore in the DI, I jump in the Defender and all seems normal again.

Going to have my head examined now :)

Wasko
  • Options
    Welcome back! Hey, you don't need your head examined, it's just all that rattling around in the D90 that's jogging some sense into the Disco Saga. Yeah.... it's really not that bad..... (said fondly with a sigh, conveniently forgetting the blasted blinking dash lights and intermittent rear windows)

It's good to see you again! This is like old times!
  • Options
    highmilehighmile Member Posts: 5
    We have just started shopping around for a '97+ Disco. Is it worth the extra mark-up for a certified Disco from a Centre as opposed to a similar model on another lot or individual? The 12 month/12,000 mile warranty is appealing, but is it necessary for a vehicle with 40K miles?

Tincup47,

Hope you might help me with this Disco history...last 8 digits of VIN# VA537950

Thanks!
  • Options
    kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    One last word on the subject. I talked to my dealership and they recommend 35psi front and rear. As I posted above 28 in the fronts borders on suicidal.
  • Options
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/firstlook/articles/46852/article.html

Looks like $72,500 will get you into one. A heck of a lot cheaper than the $135k they were selling for grey market, but still the cost of 2 DIIs :)

Thanks, wasko

• Options
    I can assure you that the recommended pressures are anything but suicidal. These are not arrived at for just ride comfort, but after analyzing handling characteristics of our vehicles. Most Land Rover employees drive themselves and their families in Discoverys, and we certainly wouldn't jeapordise our families or our customers specifying a tire pressure we considered unsafe.
  • Options
    02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Congratulations on your new Discovery. I was wondering when you are expecting delivery and what options you selected. Is there any possibility that you can post a picture of your vehicle when delivered?

Thank you,
    02Discovery
  • Options
    The Discovery you are looking at was built 07/23/96. It has had several trips to have minor leaks repaired along with 3 or 4 problems that the vehicle was towed to the dealership for. None of these were major problems.
  • Options
    I took a VIN# to a local Land Rover Centre to have them run a check on a Discovery. The guy in the service department said that only vehicles that were serviced by that particular dealer would be in the system. This just doesn't seem right according to posts on this forum. Where/how do you get your information?

And with that, could you check another vehicle for me? Vin# saljy1248va536949 It is really great that you are willing to do this for people on this forum. If the right Discovery is discovered, we will be driving it around within the week. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    I value your advice and opinion; BUT, keep in mind that is the position FORD is taking with the Explorer/Firestone litigation. They will never admit that they were wrong in recommending the low tire pressure they did, even though the evidence is overwhelming. That is just the way vehicle manufacturers do business. And, I know from personal experience that the DII tracks, corners and stops 100%--I don't believe this to be an exaggeration--better with front tire pressures between 32 and 37. I have several friends who own DIIs and they agree, as does seem to be the majority opinion of this forum, not to mention my Land Rover dealership also recommends 35psi all around. Additionally, a Car and Driver 1999 road test noted that the DII tended to wander on the highway, the steering needing constant minuscule adjustments, or the constant attention I noted. I would bet you the front tires on that unit were at the recommended 28psi and had they they tested it at 35psi, the wandering tendency would have gone away, just as mine did. Last, if any other further proof is needed, try a panic stop at 70mph with 28psi in the fronts, especially with the wife in the truck. Then do it again at 37psi. If that won't convince you, nothing will. At 28, the front end "wiggles" or shakes violently back and forth as the truck nose dives and is difficult to control. With 37psi, the wiggle is gone and control is back. Keep in mind, I have the 18" tires with the low profile and I don't know if that makes a difference compared to the 16" tires with a higher profile.
  • Options
    jake3895jake3895 Member Posts: 7
    I am getting my new Vienna Green Land Rover Disco this Friday. Is there anything I should look for when picking it up? I am so excited. Have never felt this way about getting a new vehicle.

Jake
  • Options
    Well of course! By all means look for a pub, stop and pick up a few pints of Guinness, then take her home and blow the froth off a couple with your Significant Other.

Congratulations! -Bob
  • Options
    The second vehicle you requested a check on had quite a few more issues dealt with under warranty. The dealer's service advisor you spoke with was probably checking on their in-house computer system. If he checked the Land Rover system he would be able to check on vehicles not sold or serviced at his dealership. This is the system I check.
  • Options
    boslawboslaw Member Posts: 12
    I love the way the new Disco rides. I'm somewhat concerned about the multitude of repair-related issues that seem to be all over the internet. A friend of mine had a 99 Range Rover which had so many problems it was considered a Lemon and replaced. Three consecutive Rover's were replaced under the Lemon law before he finally gave up. I'm hoping that most of the past reliability issues have been fixed by now. Has anyone with a new (2001 or 2002) Disco experienced many problems or are the cars mostly reliable now?

Also, the only other things I don't like about the car are rear seat entry and front seat door speaker. The rear door seems extremely small (especially at the bottom), and the speaker in the front door seems to jut out a bit too far into the leg space and my leg bumps against it. Have you all overlooked these issues, do you get used to them, or do you just not care?

Thanks in advance. I really love the car but I'm having trouble buying because of these issues, which I believe to be very important.
  • Options
    02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Greetings to all, it's been a while. Congratulations and best of luck to Jake3895 and John1313 on the purchase of their Vienna Green Discovery's. Having ordered a 2002 Vienna Green Discovery, without having seen the color in person, we located a dealer who had one on the lot and went to see it today. We think Vienna Green is a great color for the Discovery and our order for a Vienna Green Discovery SE will stand. While we were at the dealership we witnessed what might be described as absolute Disco carnage. A leasing/rental company was there to pick up a Bonatti Grey Discovery and a White Gold Discovery. In the process of backing up the White Gold Discovery, the driver placed his foot on both the gas pedal and brake pedal at the same time. If interested in viewing the results, click on the links below. Hey, tincup! Do you think this accident will be reflected in the vehicle's history? Heck, these two beauties still had their stickers in the windows!

If you are interested in the color Vienna Green, and have not yet seen it for yourself, we also provide a photo of one for your consideration.

We are awaiting a mid January delivery of our 2002 Vienna Green Discovery SE.
    Regards to all.
    http://members.aol.com/Spfnever/crash.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/Spfnever/tire.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/Spfnever/VG.jpg
  • Options
    mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I am trying to figure out if I can safely blend different viscosity synthetic oils to achieve a better ratio, ie 5W50 . I am considering blending 5W30 Mobil 1 with 15W50 Mobil 1 to get 5W50. Will this work, or will this just cause the oil to breakdown faster? Can anyone comment on this strategy? Mobil 1 does not make a 5W50:(
    Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Options
    You might just use Castrol Syntec, it's available in a 5/50w and I use it here in the nasty cold. It works great.

On a parallel topic, for non-synthetic oil you want to stick with a range of 30 points or less. For example, 10-40w or 20-50w. Any wider range than that means the manufacturer extended the range with polymers... those do improve the oil's qualities but not its lubricating ability. Oil lubricates, polymers do magic. Stick with a simple narrow-range oil and change it often.

Filters: I like the WIX long-body 51515, it's the replacement for the Fram PH8A and fits my DI just fine. It's got a nice quality anti-drainback valve and reduces startup noise with the lifters.

Best regards, -Bob
  • Options
    Disco carnage? Take a look at these...

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ps: he drove it home.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Was he making fun of Lord Lucas just before the roll?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    HA! No kidding... his Electronic Traction Maintenance and Balancing Offslope Servotronic Demagnetizers suddenly went "blip" when he was waaayyyyy up on that rock wall, and he tumbled, to the accompanying cackle of His Darkness.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind if I was in sub zero temps right about now! this spring-like weather just isn't cutting it for me and it's making Bodhi temperamental!! I had a Q about a start up issue: Have you ever tried starting her up, then no crank, but only once or twice and then doesn't repeat for several months? Oh, lord Lucas I bow to thee, don't let it be my starter, have mercy!!!! LOL...anyway just wondering if you've ever experienced this....donuts eh??? I can't wait for winter!! Nevertheless, there is supposed to be an intense meteor shower on sunday around 5am EST and I'm hoping to hit some hills for a good view. take care...
  • Options
    john1313john1313 Member Posts: 16
    As you all have read from my past posts, I was in the process of buying a Vienna Green DII. I got somewhat distracted and considered buying a Passat stationwagon and looked into it more. (What was I thinking...") Anyway, my senses are back on track and would like to pursue the DII of my dreams. My question to all of you is what's a good/fair price to pay for an SE with the
    7-seater option? How much over invoice is a "good" price. BTW - I live in the Bay Area (CA).

Bay Area owners - Can you recommend a dealership? I have been dealing with Stevens Creek LR but if anyone knows of a better dealership who can give me a better price please advise me. Thanks.
  • Options
    Yeah the Leonids are coming, and it's supposed to be the best show since the 60s! Good thing we're here in the Frigid North where it will be good and dark. I hope it doesn't snow, I want another clear and cold night.

About your no-start issue... it can be a couple of things. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I jump in and crank the key before she's had a chance to compose herself. Remember, these are refined ladies we're driving and they must prepare themselves before appearing in public. :) Actually there are a bazillion solenoids over in the passenger footwell and they all have to do their business before cranking happens.

Alternately, it may be that your fuse block is getting some corrosion. Not to worry! This is a pleasant job. It's under the hood, offside about midpoint with the engine right up on top. It's a black box (the horror!) about 10" long by 6" wide. Just open her up and unplug every cable that comes in the underside. Then remove each fusible link (one at a time so they don't get scrambled) and clean it and its connecting points in the fuse block with something mildly abrasive. I use a simple pencil eraser. Blow out the dust and reassemble. It takes about 15 minutes total.

I was having all KINDS of electrical weirdness and this simple job solved them all! It seems all the big circuits come in right there, and if you have sporadic connections then they feed "noisy" power to the ECUs... and computers do NOT LIKE that. They want nice clean filtered smooth power. Like a nice espresso... a little zing but no grounds.

I hope you get some snow soon! We've got lots here, but I want another 5 or 6 feet... that's about perfect.

Q'amai, -Bob
  • Options
    Thank you...I remember you mentioning the joy you experienced when cleaning the fuses, so I will be sure to take care of that in the next few days. Oh, how I wait for the snow to accumulate!!! I wouldn't mind trading places with you for a day or two. ah..Alaska.... ...soon.....hopefully next year sometime I will be driving across country thru B. C. and then to Alaska...the auroras are calling me!!!...not to mention the glacier caves and lakes,will allow for some serious hiking in B. C.! National Geographic mag. has a nice article on the auroras in their Nov. 2001 issue....incredible pics. Talk to you soon and enjoy the night air!!..hopefully you have a clear sky for the show!
  • Options
    Take a look here, these are some of the best sites for aurora pictures. Jan Curtis is famous for her work, and the Poker Flats site has lots of good stuff too.

http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Curtis/curtis.html

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

• Options
    AAHHHH....those were amazing!!!! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    Tincup47,

Could you do me one more favor? This is the last one, I promise. What can you tell me about this VIN# SALJY1242TA186683? This one is serious, and the hope to make a deal by Tuesday if all looks good. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    photodiscophotodisco Member Posts: 17
    on friday i took my disco II for a little fun, i went into a muddy field and at some point i was on a slight downard decline. my front 2 tires were stuck in very deep mud and my rear tires were out. after a couple manuevers, i was able to back my truck out of the mud. along the way i heard a bad sound from the front end. got out to inspect and saw the front left fender was crooked and out of place. the right side has nothing wrong with it. i looked underneath and saw a couple of screws that were ripped from their place. and crooked pieces of plastic. two questions?
    1) it didn't seem like that steep of a grade, why would it scrape. i've seen commercials of rovers plowing through mud that seemed 1.5 feet deep covering their entire wheel and fenders and their plastic fenders don't go flying off.
    2) how much is this going to cost to repair? i'm almost scared of taking it to the dealer and finding out the cost.
  • Options
    Nanuq:

I'm on a deer hunting vacation in MI, back at the in-laws for some much needed unwinding and decompression.

The first shirt I grabbed out of the duffel at 5am EST on opening day was my Lord Lucas tshirt :)

Must have been good luck - bagged a spike on the first time out. But now my Defender probably won't start when I get back to WA :)

As I was rumbling across the field in the father-in-law's 85 Dodge pickup, I closed my eyes briefly and dreamt I was in the middle of nowhere in a SIII 109. Of course, this is farm country and I *am* in the middle of nowhere.

Funny how Rovers creep into your thoughts all the time. And funnier yet that an 85 Dodge is still running (barely though).

Happy Thanksgiving to all and happy rovering!

Take care, wasko
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    photodisco,

I don't think the grade has much to do with it. If your tires were buried in mud, that could be enough to allow "upper parts" to be exposed to the ground with unpredicatble consequences.

As to the cost, if you're very very lucky, the fender can be bolted back on with some reinforcing sheet metal and washers where the bolts used to be. On the other hand, depending on the specific nature of the damage, you might have to replace the fender. I do hope that the former is the case!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Vehicle was built 12/20/95, has an extensive warranty history, mostly minor items.
  • Options
    We just brought home our new baby! A '96 Discovery SE7 Avalon Blue. The ride is terrific, and I can't wait to get it up in the mountains over the holiday weekend!

Tincup47, thanks for all your help!