Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

167891012»

Comments

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    edited April 2012
    I also coast in my Pontiac Corolla. I also use to put the car in neutral when I drove a stick. Not to get too far off topic, but what exactly does hypermiling mean? Now that I am retired and in no hurry to rush to work, plus the fact that we are off of winter gas, means I'm getting better mileage. I'm assuming the Yaris also loves the summer gas. Now, if I can only find a way to detach my grappling hooks from the back of the tractor trailer when I desire to exit the highway, I could definitely maximize my mileage. :surprise:
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Member Posts: 49
    It's my understanding that hypermilling pertains to driving in such a way as to maximize fuel economy, like slowly accelerating after stopping...

There are some websites you can visit that will give you the tips and techniques -
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Hypermiling also involves lots of little methods like way overpumping tires (to max on the sidewall, sometimes 20 PSI above manufacturer recommendation), driving well below the speed limit, turning off the engine at red lights, pulling away really slowly from stops, all that kind of stuff....

I'm so curious why it is that my computer readout CONSISTENTLY shows me a number that is 1 MPG higher than my calculated MPG, yet everyone else here is reporting that their computer actually UNDER-reports their mileage. Maybe mine is defective or something.....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I had never heard of a computer undercalculating mpgs until I came to this forum. Almost always it is 2-3 mpgs too high.
    nippononly:

Do you have a 2012 LE as well? If so, what color?
    Mine is a red 2012 SE. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yes, that seems to be the norm, the onboard mgp calculator is higher than the manual calculation - but for my car it's the opposite (thus far):

for today's fillup - onboard mpg: 35.4
    manual mpg: 36.4
    Wow, gotta love the 2012 Yaris LE!

filled up today:

Onboard MPG computer: 35.7
    Manual calculation: 38.1 :D

Tires: 37 psi
    tremendous! What was the hwy/city percentage for that tank?
    This is almost all city driving, I'd say 90%...

I've been trying to accelerate gently since the car is new and it's still getting "broken in" - or is it? I remember the new car sales director at the dealership telling me the engines on new cars are broken in at the factory these days - I have also been coasting on occasion, (when feasible) when I see a red light up ahead...

Is 40 mpg a possibility?! I don't know, but 38 mpg for an automatic car that's a non-hybrid is pretty impressive if you ask me.

BTW, Intellichoice.com gave the 2012 Yaris LE it's highest rating (excellent) and it got 6 awards - I believe one was for fuel economy :)
    Well, the gas mileage has dropped a little :cry: , I'm thinking maybe because of running the A/C more?

Per mpg car's computer: 35.9

Per manual calculation: 36.4

Still pretty good though!
    again; amazing. Not to get off topic too far, but my Toyota Vibe as I call it got me 34 in/around town. After 55,000 miles, that is an all time high (manually calculated). I got this because I am retired, and am driving much more conservatively, to include avoiding jack rabbit starts. What a difference retirement makes :shades:
    A friend of mine has a 2007 Vibe (she loves it) and has said the gas mileage is over 30 mpg city.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    We have 2010 Yaris 4 door SE, auto with 21000 miles. Just came back from Smoky Moutians trip at 70 to 72 mph with cruise. We got 38 to 40 mpg round trip :shades: That includes 4 days driving in Pigeon Forge TN & Gatlinburg TN & two trips thru Cades Cove Nature Trail. 1400 miles round trip
    Most recent fillup:

Onboard mpg computer: 35.9
    My calculation: 35.4

Well, it looks like 38.1 mpg isn't going to happen again, 35.4 still pretty impressive though - perhaps the decrease in mpg is due to my driving technique, I'm probably not as "cautious" or "gentle" now that I've got over 3,200 miles on the odometer (well past the break-in period) - that plus using the A/C so much due to the warmer weather -
    Managed 39 mpg for the first time, and the onboard computer read 39.4 so it seems like it might be learning or something, and is certainly now within the margin of error inherent in when the pump chooses to shut off.

Seems like the switch to summer blend has improved the mileage a bit even though I am now using the A/C a lot of the time.

5-speed SE

Mine's automatic...sticker had 30 mpg city - 35 hwy, of course this is just an estimate, so the fact that I'm continuing to average higher than 30 mpg/city since Day One is great as far as I'm concerned :)

So far the lowest city mpg has been 33, highest 38.
    It's definitely the best bang for the buck as far as miles per gallon. ;-)

agreed, which is the only reason why this car is still on my radar screen. Within the next year, I'll take one for a spin, as well as a Fit and a (new and used) Versa. With gas prices staying in the stratosphere forever, I simply won't consider getting any car that does not get 30 or more mpgs every time I'm at the pump.
    Understand completely, my prior vehicle (2001 Toyota Corolla LE) got 30 mpg probably 98% of the time, hwy was close to 40 mpg (sticker had 30 city 39 hwy)...I wasn't about to purchase a new car that didn't get at least 30 mpg city - even though I realize that what the sticker says is just an estimate -

So far the Yaris has delivered on the mpg and then some!
  • swedsonswedson Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2009 model Yaris in last September as I needed a small and safe car to drive to my work. I live in a Small town in Sweden and work in a city around 22miles away. As I found that Yaris is a good car in many ways, I use it more often than I thought I would be. The worst mileage I got was in Feb'12 (Winter can be harsh in Sweden) was 37,63 Mpg and the best I am getting now is around 47mpg. I have driven around 11800miles from sep'11 with an average of 43mpg. As we pay around 8USD per gallon in sweden, it's important to have good mileage. A friend of mine bought a Prius and fitted extra batteries and he is getting whopping 80mpg!
    filled up a little early, 8.5 gallons, 326 miles.....

I'm using the A/C most of the time now, so that seems OK. Still going for a 40 at some point, one of these days. ;-)

5-speed SE

Stopped last night on way home to fillup -

per car's mpg computer: 35.9
    per manual calculation: 36.1

I'm also using the A/C alot lately. This is almost all city-driving.
    absolutely incredible.
    was 8.6 gallons, 315 miles, so that is what, 36.5 or something like that? My worst tank in a while, but lately I have been driving it like I stole it (:-)) and I am using the A/C all the time now.

I am going to try and focus a little more on better mileage for the next tank and see how that goes...2012 SE 5-speed.

Mine's gone down a little too -

Last tank, 33.7 mpg - all city driving -

Still higher than sticker for city driving, I'm attributing it to using the AC all the time -

Highest I got was 38 mpg -
    My driving is mostly suburban, with some stop-and-go in my short (7 miles each way) commute.

My non-commute driving is mostly highway driving however.

The best tankful mpg I ever had so far was 41 mpg in mostly highway driving, cruise set at 65 with some passing at 75, A/C use half the time.

The Echo I had before this car could easily get 45-46 mpg in the same circumstances, but it also handled like a wet sponge so I will take the fuel economy hit in exchange for the much better tires and suspension of the Yaris. ;-)

the tank after the last I managed 39 mpg, so when I watch myself a bit and keep the speed down, I can improve mpg enough to notice.....

Last tank was 34.5 mpg, almost all city driving...mine's the LE with automatic, I'm spending about $15 a month less on gas compared to my prior car.
    With gas rocketing up $0.60/gallon over a five-day period two weeks ago, I have suddenly been taking conservation even more seriously.

By shaving 3 mph off my typical speed on the highway and coasting as often as possible, I got the mpg up to 41 for the last couple of tankfuls. Rather gratifying given that I was stuck in traffic on the way to work more often than usual.

This thing really loves coasting - it is the best single thing to boost mileage significantly. But reducing highway speeds by 5% is a close second. Other stuff like avoiding rapid acceleration away from lights and such doesn't seem to help as much.

2012 SE 5-speed

I do the same: foot off of the gas when I know I'm approaching a red light. I even shut off the engine when I am first at a light and know it is a "long" wait. I continue to get 33 mpg around town with my "Corolla Vibe" even with my original sticker stating 26 city, 31 hwy.
    Toyota did its new Yaris a serious disservice by not giving it a sixth gear. They could have left the first five gears the same, and just added a taller highway gear. For me the proof is how little I have to reduce my highway speed to achieve an additional 2 mpg. It only reduces engine revs by a couple of hundred RPM, the same thing a sixth gear would presumably do (hopefully it would reduce highway RPM even more; 2800 RPM to go 65 MPH in top gear in such a small car is ridiculous).

• kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited October 2012
    Reducing the speed also reduces wind resistance.
    Example: At 60 mph the wind resistance is 3600(A).
    At 70 mph, it is 4900(A). ("A" is the frontal area of the vehicle).
    There is also some tire resistance reduction at lower speed.

I agree about the gear thing. Certainly "seems" that slowing the engine a bit at highway speeds would help economy.

Strangly, while other manufacturers have 5,6 and even 8 speed trannies,
    Toyota Still uses a 4 speed auto in many of its 4 cylinder cars.

Me thinks the Yaris and Scion are really geared more toward town, city and commuting in traffic, rather than highway use. Same would be true for the Honda Fit.

Other forums indicate that the Corolla and Civic get near the same mileage on the highway as the above 3. Even though they have larger engines, more frontal area and are heavier. :confuse:
    Yes, I know it is not just a matter of reducing engine speed, but other small car manufacturers (HyunKia comes to mind) have put 6-speeds in and attained that 40 mpg number, so I bet the Yaris is giving away a couple of highway MPGs here.

Hatchbacks will always be less aerodynamic than sedans which is why Corolla/Civic get the edge there. From what I understand, the hatchback impact is compounded the shorter (less long) the car is, which also works against Yaris, Fit, Etc.

I am thinking of renting a Prius C Five for a week, which is basically a Yaris SE with a hybrid powertrain (the steering and suspension supposedly come over intact from the Yaris SE to the Prius C Five trim with the 16" wheel package) to see (a) how much better mpg I get with my driving pattern, and (b) how much slower and all-around less fun to drive it is. If the MPG is a lot better and the CVT doesn't drone enough to put me in a bad mood, I may trade the Yaris for the Prius.

However, I suspect that with my driving pattern (70/30 highway/city), it will only manage 45 MPG or so. If I could get a solid 50 and it wasn't achingly slow I would consider the switch. Even then I would only be thinking about switching because the no-action gas pedal in the Yaris (for the first couple inches of pedal travel, the engine doesn't rev at all. Even after that it revs so slowly that timing the gear shifts can be challenging, and I have driven a stick for 25 years) makes it such a pain to drive.

Or maybe the new Golf GTD is for me....TDI fans say they can get mid-40s MPG in that car without really trying. I hear the new Fusion hybrid is rated 47/47, but that's a bigger car.

• andie_3andie_3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm averaging 38mpg with a 20-ish mile mostly highway commute.
    hit 41 mpg right on the nose: 373 miles, 9.1 gallons. I have found that just a small reduction in highway speeds, to 62 mph, has led to a major boost in mileage, by as much as 2 points. Don't know if I will have the patience to continue that (;-)) but it's good to have as a tool in my back pocket for when gas prices go rocketing up to $5/gallon in the summer here in California.

2012 Yaris SE 5-speed

edited August 2013
    So gas prices didn't skyrocket this summer, much to my surprise. I continue to pull 39-40 MPG on average, but tend to drive it a lot faster now than I was back when I last posted. Had it up over 100 a couple of times this week, and unlike my old Echo, this actually doesn't feel like it is riding on bicycle tires and isn't all over the road at those speeds.

AND this is the first car I have owned with an onboard gas mileage calculator that was actually spot on, tank after tank, as I do the calculations to check it.

• newbieauto1newbieauto1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2014 Toyota Yaris. The car is only getting 21.8 mpg for city driving. When I'm driving the Eco light is usually lit up which I was told means that I'm driving in an economic manner. This car gets worse gas mileage than the car I traded for it.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

I just purchased a 2014 Toyota Yaris. The car is only getting 21.8 mpg for city driving. When I'm driving the Eco light is usually lit up which I was told means that I'm driving in an economic manner. This car gets worse gas mileage than the car I traded for it.

What did you trade to get the Yaris?