Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris v. Toyota Corolla

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Compare the Yaris to the Corolla

Comments

• cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    I drive a 2005 Corolla S (5 spd). I went to the dealer to look at the new Yaris because I was curious.

I couldn't believe how similar to the Corolla it was. Similar price, similar size, similar fuel economy, similar looks.

I don't understand what the big differentiating factors are. I also think Toyota might cannibalize its own Corolla sales with the Yaris - whereas I doubt the old Echo took away sales from the Corolla.
  • fooberfoober Member Posts: 21
    I would guess that toyota wants to see how well the yaris sells. If it sells well that they'll maybe drop the corolla line.

I think its all about expiermenting with what certain folks want to buy. So they're trying different designs. Since honda will be having a hybrid fit coming out is a year or two I'd have to guess toyota will also go hybrid with one of thier lesser priced economy cars.

Seems the japense are expecting gas prices to go up condsidering their all coming out with good fuel economy cars.

basically I'm guessing the auto manufacturers possibly expect the suv people to dive into good fuel economy vehicles pretty soon.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No way Toyota will drop one of the best-selling cars (the best-selling car?) of all time. Rather the next generation, due next year, will move a bit upscale to slot in better between the Yaris and Camry.
  • fooberfoober Member Posts: 21
    Maybe, It will be interesting to see what toyota does.

Whats really going to be interesting is if gas goes over 3.00 dollars a gallon how people will then buy vehicles.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Toyota will sell a LOT of Yarii and Corollas then, that is for sure. Probably lots of the Prius and Camry Hybrid too.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    id say the corolla already occupies a spot between the yaris and camry. before buying my corolla, i test drove the yaris hatch, yaris sedan and corolla back to back to back. the corolla is just a quieter, smoother ride than the yaris. it was definitely noticeable. additionally, its mileage is equal or greater than yaris.( my first tank yielded 42.5 mpg with 70% hwy 30% city) the next gen corolla will likely get a bit bigger and, true, it will widen the gap even further from the yaris in terms of size, comfort, and overall refined feel. hopefully it will retain its great fuel economy, since it will certainly gain some weight as the next gen of every car does. AS FOR TOYOTA DROPPING THE COROLLA.....UM.....WELL....WOW...ILL TRY TO FORGET THAT SOMEONE MADE THAT STATEMENT.
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    I played around with the pricing (MSRP) on Toyota's website. The price differential between a similarly equipped Yaris and Corolla is anywhere from $1,500 at the low end to $800 at the higher end (Yaris being the cheaper car).

I suppose the slight price premium accounts for the bigger engine and the "more car" you get for the Corolla.

It will be interesting to see how Yaris sales do vs. the Corolla!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I would guess that toyota wants to see how well the yaris sells. If it sells well that they'll maybe drop the corolla line.

This will never happen.

The Yaris is simply there as insulation and a buffer for entry level/bargain shoppers. It serves three purposes:
    1) The USED Car market is twice the size of the New Car market. New car manufacturers get zero from these buyers. For those who desire to spend only $11-15K for a vehicle there is an attractive Toyota option now;
    2) The Corolla doesn't have to fill this entry level slot anymore so the it can remain in the $15-21K range, be profitable and support the Camry line;
    3) It holds the fort against the Korean assault on entry level buyers. As Toyota and Honda learned 30 yrs ago grabbing buyers when they first begin to buy vehicles keeps them in the family for life in many cases.

The timing with fuel prices going as they are is propitious as well.
  • sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    I've been following the Corolla, Elantra, Yaris, and Accent closely here for a bit.

I actually *LIKE* the Yaris S Sedan aesthetic. Sharp.

But the weird "center pod" dash just annoys the heck out of me. I tested an Echo and found the experience odd; drove an Ion for a time (loaner) and found the pod equally odd.

I've been working on my research for a car next year, and this news feature (link below) leans me towards Yaris S sedan.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1908977

The only thing I wonder at this point is, "Can I get used to the weird dash lay-out?"
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have to say it again, and I mean it sincerely - after the first five minutes, you will never notice the center-IP layout again for the rest of the time you own the car.

Plus, consider that in the Yaris, the speedo is HUGE if you get the model with the Optitron gauge without the tach. It is like twice the size of the big center speedo in the Mini.

BTW, I watched the ABC news clip you linked to - I have a feeling that these folks that are predicting a $3/gallon FLOOR, rather than ceiling, for gas prices are right on the money. Right now I am paying $3.15/gallon, and that is before the big ramp-up in prices for the summer driving season. I can't see it coming back below $3/gallon here in California after Labor Day. Buy your gas-saver now rather than later.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"I have to say it again, and I mean it sincerely - after the first five minutes, you will never notice the center-IP layout again for the rest of the time you own the car."

well, i think that you can get used to looking there for your information. however, many of us think it just looks ugly in that spot. i drove an echo a couple years ago as a rental on vacation...2 1/2 weeks later, the center pod still looked ugly to me. yes, i was used to looking there for my info..but that didnt change the fact that it looked ugly to me....having said all that, it would not stop me from buying if i loved all other aspects of any given car.

on to the fit. my dealer buddy at evil honda dealership called, said he had 3 manual fits on the lot. so, i went to test drive out of curiosity more than anything. let me preface my following comments with this: i am a toyota guy all the way. i love my corolla. ive never cared for honda.

however, the fit was much more than i expected. it looked very cool, much more so than in the pictures. even the non "s" model looked cool enough that it would need no mods(for me, anyway). the interior seemed luxurious compared to the yaris, nice dark material. fabrics on the doors felt nice. i just didnt feel like i was in a subcompact car. even the shift knob and boot looked fairly upscale. the seat configurations are far more versatile than in the yaris. in fact, on the basic yaris, toyota really did nothing to make the hatch seats versatile. on the road, i couldnt push it hard through turns (due to traffic considerations), but on acceleration and at 60 mph, its quiet, moreso than yaris, and the engine didnt sound like it was working as hard.

price of a fit manual is $14400 w/ destination. but, as many of you know, the fit is well appointed as is.

the yaris hb, without being too loaded, will be cheaper. it will likely get the better mileage as well. unfortunately, AND I HATE TO SAY THIS, in every other aspect i think the fit is better, noticeably so.

of course, if you prefer the looks of the yaris over the fit, then thats a point for the fit.
    after the first five minutes, you will never notice the center-IP layout again for the rest of the time you own the car.

Actually, both the reviewers here (Edmunds) and Motor trend disagree with you - as do I: that week with the damn Ion drove me insane. I wanted to celebrate the return of my Sonata from the bodyshop (hail damage) by setting the Ion ablaze on top of a hill.

Insurance would not cover that, though. :blush:
    BTW, I watched the ABC news clip you linked to - I have a feeling that these folks that are predicting a $3/gallon FLOOR, rather than ceiling, for gas prices are right on the money.

You had better believe it: if you compare oil futures and current consumption globally, rather than just looking at the USA numbers, the shortage is already pretty serious - the prices here in the USA are not remotely reflecting the overall picture. That said, the prices are currently scrambling to do just that.

As for buying the gas-saver now vs. later, financed a new roof and remodel job using an equity loan ARM at variable rate. Given spiraling petroleum costs also mean inflation (and thus interest rate) creep, I have to knock that ARM down first doing double-payments.

THEN, the gas-saver.

The only other option is going to Mexico and paying a sketchy surgeon to sell a kidney and a lobe of my liver - and I am *NOT* hip to that game!
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    The center IP stack is not only a distraction, it's also potentially dangerous. Any driver will tell you that a well-designed IP should be in one's line-of-sight of the road ahead of you. Many new IP designs allow one to scan the IP without a major change in focus. This is not the case with a center IP stack. Not only do you have to change focus, but you must move your eyes as well to the center stack. Not good . . . Honda would never do this, nor would a substantial number of other manufacturers.
  • brighterdeathbrighterdeath Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I could not disagree with you more. It is such a pleasure not to have to try to see through the steering wheel to see the speed. It is without question a more logical placement now. :D
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    That isn't surprising. The Fit is getting good marks from a lot of sources. Did that 14.4k include A/C? I haven't seen one in person...but the pics are utt bugly IMO.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    It includes A/C, PW/PM/PL, CD, and all of the safety equipment. No cruise control or keyless entry for the base model though.

You should go see one in person. I have seen lots of cars that seem ugly in pictures, but in person are nice looking.
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    I currently own an '06 Corolla CE, but have experienced undue bumpiness due to the anti-roll stabilizer bar at the back suspension. Per a thread on toyotanation.com, the 9th-generation Corollas use this setup instead of a multi-link independent suspension. The advantage is that the ride is smoothed out, unless the road is bumpy. Any bump causes vibrations to travel the width of the car in the rear since the flexible metal beam runs from one end to the other. IOW my '99 Corolla was a better driving experience! (IMHO)

I've tested the liftback and sedan Yaris models, and feel strongly that the latter Yaris has a smoother ride than the '06 Corolla, in that the bumps are absorbed better. I will concede that on a well-paved road the Corolla wins. But overall the Yaris sedan provides a more consistent driving experience since I'm not being jarred as severely on rougher sections of the road. I'll be testing the liftback again soon as my first impression found the ride as unpleasant as the Corolla's.

BTW when I tested the Scion xA for a second time, the ride felt as jarring as the Corolla. Yuck.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Yesterday I drove my son's 1997 Corolla back and forth to work. Today when I got back into my Yaris Hatchback, I felt like I was driving a minivan. I think that the illusion is caused by the large area between the steering wheel and the windshield and the much higher seating position. I think that the Yaris seats are more comfortable, and the engine seems to have more zip. The whole interior seems larger with more seating room in the back seats too. I also get at least 10 MPG more with the Yaris.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Thanks for clearing up why we get that vibration on bumpy roads. My wife has a 06 Corolla S and I took it back to the Dealer shortly after we purchased the car for that exact reason. The reason the Dealer gave us was that we had incorrect air pressure in the tires and she had to get use to a driving a smaller car. I knew this wasn't true because I check her tires regularly and her 93 Camry wasn't all that much bigger. 95% of the time it's fine but that other 5% was driving her crazy. There are certain roads in the area she refuses to drive down because she feels the car is going shake apart.

Other than that she loves the car and is getting 30+ miles per gallon all city driving. :)
  • ashikashik Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a new car within next 10 days. I need a small or compact car and after some researches, I have come upto 4 cars that I want to buy. I will choose one of them. I appreciate any comment from you on those 4 to make my decision more effective. My requirements are -

1) The car must not be big. So small or compact size is good for me.
    2) Must be 4 door.
    3) Auto gear.
    4) Good mileage.

The cars I liked -

1) Honda Civic Sedan LX 2006 Model - I like the dashboard and the look. But seems a little costly.

2) Toyota Corolla 2006 - Seems really good option for me.

3) Chevrollete Cobalt - I like its size and shape very much.

4) Toyota Yaris 2007 - I like this car though didn't go for a test drive yet. I want to know its difference and similaririty with Cobalt on size and shape. Its new and less expensive than others.

Comments please.

-- Ashik Uzzaman
    Software Development Engineer
    Philips Medical Systems
    Milpitas, CA, USA
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    Glad to help. I have to chuckle at how similar our experiences are. The car is good-lucking for its price range, and that's what keeps me from weeping. But at times I'm close to giving it up anyway due to the damn rear suspension.

Hope your wife fully adjusts eventually. Eight months on and I still haven't.
    The Yaris has a smaller engine than all the others. It has less power, but less weight as well, so if you mostly ride alone or with one passenger, it will be just as fast. It will get better gas mileage than any of the others.

Corolla and probably Cobalt will be updated in the next year or two, making your new car an "old car" sooner. Yaris and Civic are brand new models, so your car will seem new longer.

The Yaris sedan has the cheapest interior of any of these models - the most hard plastics. You will also pay less for it (depending on equipment) than any of the others.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Nissan just redesigned the Quest minivan interior and put the gage panel back in front of the steering wheel as opposed to the center on the previous version. This van has had poor sales and one likely reason was the center gage panel.The Scion Xb has a center gage panel but it is tilted towards the driver, making it easier to read.
  • ash588ash588 Member Posts: 1
    this isn't technically about the yaris v corolla discussion, but it's the only active discussion on the site...
    i want to fit a cd/mp3 to my 97 corolla and don't want to spend heaps - any recommendations??
    cheers,
    ash
    I bought a an AM/FM/CD/MP3 Pioneer off Ebay for a little more than $100 for my 97 Corolla, works great.
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    good mileage, 4 door, automatic, try a VW 07 Jetta TDI. Son is getting 45 average MPG MIXED CITY/HWY
    TDI starts at $21,605. Add extra taxes, registration, insurance, options $$$$....if your concern is money..makes no sense at all. If you like the car, great, but not really a competitor for a yaris or even corolla.
    You might as well spend just a little more, buy a Toyota Prius, get the same or better gas mileage, and get some dependability to boot.
    that the Prius and Jetta TDI driving experiences are WORLDS apart, and only one comes with a manual if you want it...

you want great mileage AND driving experience? How about this one:

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    I work as an Internet Manager at a fairly large Toyota store.

While I remember being impressed with the Corolla 5 years ago when the redesign hit, even THEN it seemed a little vanilla.

I think the appeal of the Yaris is it's uniqueness. Sure, the Corolla is a little quieter and has a slightly larger engine (woohoo 20HP!?!?), but it is OLD NEWS. It is most definitely a nice car, but still...

When the NEW Corolla hits as an 08 model, I truly believe we will see a marked difference between the two.

Until then, you can either:

1) Buy a lame-duck (albeit nice) car, knowing full well a complete redesign looms that will leave you with the "old" bodystyle. Spend a bit more money for a bit more refinement (it isn't as much as people think it is), and have a car that blends in EVERYWHERE it goes (not necessarily a bad thing...).

2) Buy a car that's edgy, less expensive (even if it's not by much), performs FINE (hey, it's no Ferrari, but I did manage 85-90 mph on a long uphill stretch of highway, A/C on, with NO problem whatsoever... so get over it :P ), and DOESN'T look like something your 75 year old grandma would take to Bingo. Not to mention it won't be redesigned for quite a while (remember the Fit will be redesigned sooner too).

All in all, I could have gotten a CE Corolla for close to the same $$$, but went with the Yaris. It was a no-brainer for me, and I love people asking me about my car, rather than assuming I'm borrowing it from grandma.

I don't mean to offend the Corolla segment... but COME ON, you all know it :D

T

PS, the center IP serves one purpose and one purpose ONLY imho... It makes the car simple and cheap to manufacture in either left hand drive or right hand drive configurations. That's right folks, Toyota did something slightly unusual in their non-flagship car to SAVE them money lol... for shame! It's not like we live in a capitalist society (insert sarcasm here). I don't love it, but I don't stay up at night whining about it either ;)
    "Sure, the Corolla is a little quieter and has a slightly larger engine (woohoo 20HP!?!?)"

Corolla has 10% more power and weighs 10% more. I would say that's a wash. These cars are both slightly under 9 seconds 0-60 with a stick.

Right on :) ... Even us car guys forget about simple things like power to weight from time to time hehe...

Another point that might not be quite as good is the lack of a true liftback Corolla (I don't count the Matrix btw, despite Toyota originally marketing it as the Corolla Matrix, it was purely for name recognition (I was at the Matrix U.S. Lauch hehe)).

Again, the Corolla is a very nice car, but everyone likes newer and shinier things methinks...

I do :P
    actually the corolla is only 11% heavier than the yaris (2335lbs vs 2595lbs) but has close to 20% more hp (18.86%).
    so i wouldnt call that a wash. anyway, i doubt anyone is getting these cars for thrills. still, for as small as the yaris hb is, it gives a pretty good ride.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    The pictures I have seen of the 08 Corolla looks like it IS a liftback 5 door? It also has the Yaris/Camry styled nose as well. it is the very FIRST Corola that loooks NICE (to ME!).
    Even though the 08 Corolla will be a phenomenal car (Toyota has been on a streak lately haven't they? :P ), you have to remember a couple of things:

1) The 08 Corolla won't be released until most likely LATE 07 as an 08 model. I have a few 2007's on the ground already, so it's possible they'll hit by summer of 07, but I doubt it.

The Yaris L/B is (somewhat ;) ) available NOW.

2) The 08 Corolla will be a hot commodity even if it does hit early. Just like most customers are fast to buy our cold product for invoice, we are fast to mark up the hot ones for over MSRP (and yes, even Camry's, Civic's, and Corolla's are fair game if the demand is there... and it will be for a while at least). It's how supply and demand works, and expect it to drive the price of even a "base" 08 Corolla to well over $5000.00 more than a "base" Yaris.

So basically, I think the price comparo between the two to be moot for at LEAST another year and a half to two years. I may rather a 08/09 Corolla by then myself too, but who knows...

T
    the '08 Corolla will be a good $1000 more than the current model. Yaris will seem like even more of a bargain after that.

The new Camry sold at sticker (and more, I guess) for about four months before the "$XXXX below sticker!" ads started. The new Corolla might get a bit longer than that because it will (hopefully) continue to be one of the most fuel-efficient cars available anywhere short of hybrids and diesels, but I don't think it will be ALL that long. Figure by January February 2008 it will be selling at discounts. But by then they will be discounting the Yaris too, and the two will be spaced farther apart in MSRP.

• bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Wait until the '08's start hitting the dealer's lots. You'll be able to get a brand new '07 for a little next to nothing!
  • akin242002akin242002 Member Posts: 30
    I would recommend buying the Yaris Sedan, not the Corolla, like I did. The car is less expensive, better MPG in a current gas epidemic, better exterior eye candy, and is more agile than all the other cars you listed. The only negative is it is a little nosier when pushed to its limits, but who pushes there car to its limits every time? Very few!
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    And of course, if you need a hatchback body style like I do, the Corolla can't match up with the Yaris at all.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    And of course, if you need a hatchback body style like I do, the Corolla can't match up with the Yaris at all.

That depends. I've never had an instance where something I was carrying was too big for my Corolla, but could fit in a Yaris just because of it's hatch configuration. Now the Matrix, that's a different story. There are numerous real world items I deal with on occasion that would fit in a Matrix, but not fit in either a Corolla or a Yaris hatch.

I really think the utility of the Yaris is somewhat overstated. IMO - It really can't fit anything in it that most people need even somewhat regularly that couldn't fit into a Corolla.
  • akin242002akin242002 Member Posts: 30
    Right now I would say that the 2007 Yaris has the 2007 Corolla beat for overall value (Better MPG, exterior design, and less expensive). I don't think I will be able to say the same when the 2008 Corolla verses the 2007 Yaris. 2008 Corolla is expected to have better MPG than the 2007 model, more horsepower, and better exterior design. Combined with the standard features like Antilock breaks, the 2008 Corolla seems like would be a better deal than a 20007 Yaris.
    I really think the utility of the Yaris is somewhat overstated. IMO - It really can't fit anything in it that most people need even somewhat regularly that couldn't fit into a Corolla.

Dogs. Two good-sized dogs will fit in the back of a Yaris hatch with the seat folded down.

It would be cruel to put my dogs in the trunk of a Corolla or any car.

And yes, the Matrix has space for dogs, but that car costs too much.
    building a bunch of Corolla LEs right now with just SAB and curtains, the EVP with 6-disc changer, ABS, and alloys. That car has a sticker of $17,760 (manual shift, including dest). With the routine discounts on that model right now, it would be easy to pick up for $16K. If you could even find a Yaris with SAB/curtains and ABS, equipping it to the level of that Corolla would put the price more like $17K, or about $1000 more. Not to mention, I am rather partial tio the Optitron meters of the Corolla LE, and isn't keyless entry extra-cost on the Yaris too? Which would add another $200 to the Yaris price, but would be included in the Corolla.

If you want the hatch, there's no contest. But if you want the sedan, Yaris is going to be a hard sell strictly on the numbers until the redesigned Corolla arrives in 15 months.

There is still the fact that Corolla is around every corner, while the Yaris is relatively unique, not to mention the Yaris has handling that is more spry than the Corolla's. Plus, there's the 2-point advantage in mpg for the Yaris.

I ordered the Yaris hatch, loaded with everything including side curtain airbags, keyless entry, power package (which includes a 60/40 fold-flat rear seat and alloy 15" wheels), and ABS. I'm paying $15,800.

It works for me.
    Dogs. Two good-sized dogs will fit in the back of a Yaris hatch with the seat folded down.

It would be cruel to put my dogs in the trunk of a Corolla or any car.

Huh? Without knowing it, you just made an argument for the Corolla and against the Yaris. The back seat of the Corolla is fine for two dogs, while you maintain the use of the trunk for groceries or anything else you may not want the dogs to get into. If you are folding down the Yaris hatch seats, then you are losing the use of those back seats and you are risking your groceries to the dogs.
    I can't use a back seat in a car for my dogs. They are not Yorkies or beagles or something like that. They are high-energy sled dogs (about 50 lbs. each) and will not stay put. In other words, they would be jumping from the seat to the floor all the time in a sedan. They would also probably chew on cloth seats and destroy the upholstery, no doubt.

No, better to have them in the rear compartment of a hatchback with a flat, durable surface. Containment would be much better in a hatchback. And one egress option (i.e., in/out through the hatch) is probably also better than having two (the rear doors of a sedan), considering that the dogs will bolt and run if they see the chance.
    Any Walmart-type store carries seat protectors, canvas covers and other contraptions for under $50 that attach to the front and back seats to keep dogs from doing just what you mention....not to mention some also block/prevent them from hopping up to the front seat, which you'd still need with the hatch anyway.

And both cars have essentially the same number of egress options: the number of doors you choose to have opened at the same time. As a matter of fact, I find it less likely for my dog to be able to bolt out of one of the side doors of my Corolla than the hatch of my Highlander. With the hatch, I have to lower myself to the ground and open it very slowly to keep him from bolting out before I can grab his leash. With the side door, I can reach his neck area right away upon opening the door.
    A hatchback has a more contained area with a flat floor, like the back of a van or SUV. There's not enough room on top of a sedan's back seat for both of my dogs, and I don't want one dog on the floor and one on the seat. A hatchback suits me better (and what you described IS the procedure I use for getting my dogs out via the hatch; I'm used to it).

It's always a possibility for a dog to bolt and run out of a sedan if someone else (like one of the kids) inadvertently opens one of the rear doors. That is what I'm trying to avoid.

You prefer the Corolla, fine. But I don't see it as a viable option for me.
This discussion has been closed.