Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Engine questions

Comments

• sadrielsadriel Member Posts: 1
    My boyfriend has a ford ranger. He recently ran it out of oil while i was riding with him! I made him pull over, and we put oil in it, but the oil pressure did not come back up.

So, I went and changed the oil, and put a new filter on it - still no oil pressure.
    Replaced the sender in hopes it was the sender - still no oil pressure. Now, its beginning to tick...

Is the oil pump hard to get to? its a 98 with a 2Liter.

Please help. Is the oil pump a common part to go? Or is it possible that I just have a plug somewhere?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Ok, do what I did. I got out of my 94 Ranger and bought a new Corvette.

Next-to-last tank of gas gave 29.2mpg. Last tank was 27.7. It does require premium.....
  • geoffcgeoffc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1987 Ranger 2WD with 250,000 km. It's got the 2.9L 6cyl. 10W30 oil. It starts fine and the oil pressure gauge reads at about 1/4 up (I believe that it used to be at about the 1/2 way mark). Once the engine is warm the oil pressure drops and at idle it drops down to nearly nil as the engine idles roughly, then stalls. It won't stall if I rev the engine.

I'm thinking the gauge must be fine because the rough idle/stalling accompanies the low pressure. I'm not prepared to spend the time or money on an oil pump replacement, if that's what it turns out to be. Any alternative ideas to try before I relegate it to the scrappers?
  • abell2abell2 Member Posts: 2
    What is the normal start rpms for 02,4.0 Ranger...?? Mine starts up at 1850 to 2100!!!! The EGR system checks out,put a new idle control solenoid and it still kicks up..?? The idle does come down to the normal but ?? Sometimes it RattleS like a bad mixture or what..thoughts??
  • zacmzacm Member Posts: 2
  • soccabac17soccabac17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Ford Ranger 3.0, with about 137,000 miles on it. Once in a while (maybe once or twice every time im driving) when im cruising, or sometimes when im accelerating, it will cut out for a second, like a brief hesitation, then it will be fine again. The engine is not burning oil or any fluids, and the radiator isnt using extra coolant, temperature seems to be normal. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Fuel injectors perhaps?
  • seed60seed60 Member Posts: 1
    Here of late the truck cuts off when when you put it into park. The idle fluxuates and eventually stalls. I have check the oil, and other fluids. Has anyone had this problem before? I looked at the topic "idles rough until stall" and saw low oil pressure. Does anyone know of a solution for this problem??
  • hayparkhaypark Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ranger that is doing the exact same thing. Did you find out what the problem was?
  • hayparkhaypark Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what is causing the idle problem? Mine is doing the same thing.
  • sammy18sammy18 Member Posts: 4
    I have not found the answer. I have changed the idle speed control valve and checked for vacuum leeks and still have the problem. I will continue to work on it, if you find the answer please let me know.
    Sam
  • ltpageltpage Member Posts: 3
    I'm hearing an alarm somewhere behind the glove box of my 1997 Ford Ranger. It only sounds after I first start the engine for 10 or 15 seconds then stops.It is a different sound than the normal seat belt alarms and such. The truck seems to be running ok.
  • rangergirlierangergirlie Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I bought my ranger in 2005 with it being an 02 model and I have a question about the engine. well, I've noticed at the beginning of the year that it's not getting the right amount of mileage that it should be. I think it's suppose to be getting around 300 to the tank, but now it's more like 230 at max. Also, since it's been making clanking noises when i would accelerate, I had to switch to mild-grade on the gas (and it helps), but I'm not sure if they are related.
    But, right now it's at the ford dealership getting warrenty work on the aircondition. I have extended service plan so i don't know if maybe some of the engine problems will be with the warrenty.
    but if anyone has an ideas, let me know please. I just want my truck to be fixed so i can move on. :)
    You have the 3Liter V6, right?

They ping. This is what you are hearing. Higher grade of gas is about only thing to help with this.
  • rangergirlierangergirlie Member Posts: 4
    Yeah it's a 3.0L V6. I know the pinging noise will go away with using the medium grade gas. But with using that type of gas, is it normal to lose a little gas mileage??
    I would have thought it might give better milage.

But if you are not writting milages down and carefully calculating each fillup, your milage figures are useless.

Such as 'I get xxx miles on a tank of gas!'

My 94 4Liter with a cap got about 14 in town and the highest I ever saw was 18.5 on highway driving. I now have a Honda Ridgeline which gets 19-20mpg on the highway and is a much larger, 4wheel drive truck.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    How do you figure highway and city driving mileage? I would think that you divide the mileage by the amount of gallons used at fillup. Unless of course you have a computer that tells you your current mpg as you drive. Even then to state 18.5 highway? How accurate can that be?
    I do it the way you said, which is the correct way to do in. Every car of mine has a small notepad where each fillup and its milage is logged.

I've seen lots of postings where people say "My whatsit used to get 300 miles to a tank it now only gets 275. What is wrong with it?" This isn't a milage calculation.
  • rbd008rbd008 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Ranger V6 3.0L that has suddenly become hard to start. I replaced plugs, checked hoses and replaced the IAC valve but still no change. Any suggestions?
    Does it start ok when hot? If so, the following may be the problem.

You probably have two temperature sensors. One drives the guage on the dash.

The other talks to the computer and gives it the coolant temperature. This one has possibly failed. It is not telling the computer that the engine is cold. Under cold starting conditions, the computer increase the fuel amount injected (unriches the mixture). If this enrichment is not done, it will be hard to start.

This sensor will usually have black and yellow wires, twisted together, coming off it.

Or, your fuel pump may be failing and is not giving enough pressure to start. I would think this would cause other problem, like missing at high speed due to fuel starvation. A pressure guage on the schrader valve on the fuel injector line should give the pressure readings. I don't know exactly what they should be, but around 40lbs, I think, is usually in the range of a good working fuel pump. The fuel pump is inside the gas tank.

Or, you might just have a clogged fuel filter, if you have a lot of miles and it's never been changed. Or you got a tank of dirty gas.

I don't think the IAC valve has anything to do with starting, only idle speed.
    I'd also change the wires if you're still running the original. Not that it has anything to do with a hard start. Just that with the engine comparment temp the wires deteriorate and at 5 years would be a good idea to replace along with the plugs.
  • rbd008rbd008 Member Posts: 3
    My ranger has starting problems even when warm. I have to crank it usually 3 time before it starts. I see where the coolant temp sensor is next to the thermostat. But, if there is a 2nd sensor where would it be located? It runs fine after starting. The fuel filter was supposedly changed about 3000 miles ago during my last oil change by "Jiffy Lube"
    Well, if it starts hard cold and hot, it isn't the temp sensor.

Does it blow a lot of smoke after one of these hard starts? If so, it might be a leaky fuel injector, overloading a cylinder with gas.
  • kentheobaldkentheobald Member Posts: 2
  • kentheobaldkentheobald Member Posts: 2
    This isn't necessarily specific to Ford Rangers but I have a question regarding my O2 sensors. A mechanic told me I have a bad O2 sensor, so I'm going to replace it. My only problem is that I don't know which one is bad. What's the best way for me to find out? Can I just use a voltage meter? Also, are there any online tech manuals, or something of the sort, that have this info in detail? I think I have only 2 sensors, but am not sure. 99 Ranger XLT 4L
  • tony0974tony0974 Member Posts: 1
    93 4.0 183K miles

The other day I was driving home, when I red line the engine when gear slipped out. Got home no problem. Next day I went to start it, it would not start.It would crank. I tried it for a bit. Finally got it to start, but running rough and missing,with white smoke from tail pipe. I am thinking Blown head gasket. I checked the plugs, they were fouled, so replaced them and wires. Truck started up no problem. running better. but still smokes. well 6 hours later I go to start it up. It wont start. just like before. Check Engine light is on. It Seems to start fine once the Temp is up some. Going to go by Autozone today and see what the computer says.

Bad temp sensor? Is the Head gasket Blown? Am I missing something? Please help?

Also it seems to have made a whole in my muffler. Needed to be replaced before all this happened.
  • bholiday_99bholiday_99 Member Posts: 6
    I have an 86 2.3 4cyl, when I drive the truck, its feels like it has no power. It feels like is lacks any compression. Could this be caused by possible fuel pump or filter problem? Or perhaps the fuel injector going bad? I did give it a tune up with new plugs and wires,etc. But Still no change. Any ideas?
  • tgwiiitgwiii Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought a 97 Mazda (Ford Ranger) B2300 for $1500 with 146,000 Mi. Its, so far, the nicest vehicle I've ever owned, Everything is wonderful except that it seems underpowered. -- It will go 80 -- at 3000 RPM, but doesn't want to go faster (except downhill) It seems like the 5 speed stick with an O on the top gear could be geared a little too high. I have thought of getting smaller tires--but the tire guy says they are the manufacturers reccomended size. Are all the 2300s hard to get over 80 or is it this one i've got?? Should I check the compression?? Is there any easy turbo installation?? How would I know/check if the catalytic converter is restricted??. It runs strong up to 4500+ in fourth, third.............Its not really too much of a problem though..........Where I live (Nantucket) the top speed limit is 45. When I drive to N.Y I like to do 90 behind someone else who can afford the $1500.00 ticket. I can live with 80 but I don"t like to keep it floored for hours at a time. Any help on this one will be much appreciated. I am a Detroit guy here on the Island. If I were in Detroit I could solve this quick!! Thanks, Tom
    I just posted the LOW POWER ALSO post after yours. Did your 2300 ever have better power?? Did it go 90?? How many miles does it have?? Thanks, Tom
    Good grief, it's a 4 cylinder! The only one I drove, I classified it as horribly underpowered.

And, I think all of them are limited to about 90mph, even the 4L V6's, where the injectors cut off. Ford doesn't want this to be a high speed vehicle.
    Yeah, Oh I guess it was sort of dumb to complain about 80 MPH @ 3000 RPM. Just talked to a friend with a Dakota six & he cant go more than 75 MPH. Still really do hate to have the foot to the floor at 80! The powerband seems strongest 3000 to 4000 RPM, so if I cou;d get the revs up a little into that band, maybe 85-90 woud be possible. I am thinkingg more & more TURBO!!! I see a turbo on e-bay $500?? Any ideas??? Thanks in advance, T
  • dorf55dorf55 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone have timing belt picture diagram for a distributorless 2.3 engine? Where does the auxilliary timing pulley pointer point at, that use to be for the distributor ? All info appreciated! I have a manual but it is not very clear as to where the timing marks are !
    Larryr
    Save your $500. Remember it's a ten year old truck. Any forced induction might terminate any life remaining in the motor. Not to mention that bogus turbo on ebay. I think it actually restricts airflow.

Good luck! ;)
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member Posts: 1
    thecyberlabs:
    Minor customizer of Ford Rangers:
    -Getting more HP out of your Ford Ranger.

*check 02 Sensor. (install new one regardless -stock O2 sensors are weak)
    *new transmission (for under $1000 you can have a brand new -better than factory - rebuilt transmission INSTALLED - I can show you where and how)
    *good oil
    *good gas
    *proper tire inflation
    *proper tires (I suggest 15's for a bit better performance on a typical 2.3L Ford)
    *lowering kit (my next project - will improve performance and MPG)

-All in all with my upgrades and modification tweeks, I have the two fastest 'off the shelf' parts Ford Rangers in town. The 90' ranger can actually squeal it's tires in 3rd gear, and pull away from even exotics like a low end Porsche...imagine the heads turning while my scrappy 90 Ford Ranger squeals its tires racing a Honda Civic..and winning. Top end though..I can only get the 90 Ford at top speed to about 85..the 96 Ford I can get now up to the top speed of about 92.
    Also using a cover helps with performance and drag coefficients. I use a basic tonneau cover and I have a lot better stability in high winds than the Ford Rangers that don't (even if the back gate is open).

A thing about Ford Rangers and high speeds...not a good idea!
    At about 90MPH, they tend to get skittish, due to oversteering probably.
    At about 95..This gets to be dangerous...at 100MPG..it's not good...the truck tends to get very unstable. I do believe these trucks are specifically detuned so they don't exceed these numbers.

Word of caution..do not buy ANY gimmick modifications...like cheap sensors that claim 10HP gains and 12MPG increases..they ain't so...
  • flippinegoflippinego Member Posts: 1
    When you say no power are you meaning that it feels sluggish as though it just doesn't want to accelerate. Also does it seem like it misses when you go up a hill or anything to that nature??

I would think to check your catalytic converter. If you have never replaced it that could be clogged. Depending on where you live and the emmissions checks I would just get them removed since they tend to be rather expensive.

If you have fixed problem I would like to know what you did in order to fix it?

Good luck!
    Yeah, Cybertrucker. I don't know much about computer controled injection. The Check engine light does come on every once in a while. I'll check the oxygen sensor to see what sort of readings it is registering. To me it seems as though the timing is a little retarded, but whatever the other problems, reaching 80 and being flat out @ 3000 RPM is a problem in that the power band of the engine is ABOVE 3000 RPM, most likely in the 3500 to 4500 range. And I like the gearing for my day to day no faster than 50 life here 0n this Island where the top speed limit is 45. Its only on my trips to NY that I want to be able to go 95 or 90 not 80. Just seems like a tutbo would be a decent solution to these circumstances. Gas milaqge is my top priority as gas here is 50 cents or a dollar more than you are paying on the mainland $3.40-$3.90. Also the turbo would not make the engine wurk any harder in my day to day commute at 45. I'm thinking a used Saab or Merceces turbo would do the job. The hot side would be a bit tricky, the cool side a piece of cake Someone must have done this already. Thanks
  • harris1942harris1942 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 Ranger 2.3L with 160K miles. Recent engine noise has been diagnosed as worn cam followers. I am wondering if this is a common problem with this engine? I have been told it will cost @ $2000 to repair. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  • rocko2rocko2 Member Posts: 2
    I UNDERSTAND THAT PREVIOUS BUILT FROM 2003 RANGER 3.0 HAS A TSB FOR BELT NOISES.ANYONE KNOW OF IT?
  • spiker50spiker50 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2005 Ranger xlt 4x4 4.0l edge. the previous owner put a K&N air filter converson kit on, I would like to have the orginal air box for the filter, it helps keep the filter cleaner, without loss of performance, anyone know where I can get one?? Also since this is the XLT, do the door switches have lights for night driving, (EX. the lock sw or window sw?)
    Mr. Salvage is your friend.
  • spiker50spiker50 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that maybe some one might have one laying around that I could purchase for a reasonable price.
  • badluckwiths10badluckwiths10 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1990 2.3L and need atiming diaghram. can any one help?
  • jerrygw3jerrygw3 Member Posts: 4
    where is the in take runner found ford ranger 2.3
    engine.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    owned a Ranger,but am considering it. However, I have driven Ford products with the 2.3L engine and found them to be somewhat underpowered. Since I know this, I know what to expect if I do purchase one with the 2.3. My question is, though maybe underpowered, how reliable and what issues does this engine have and how good are the automatic trannys in these? Any other issues to consider? Thanks to all.
  • harris1942harris1942 Member Posts: 2
    My 1992 Ranger started pinging around 50K miles. I put up with it for years and burned premimum gas to help control the problem. Finally I was told by a mechanic to have the fuel injectors power cleaned. I took my truck to a Ford dealer and Paid $200 to have it done. It completely solved the problem and the engine ran as good as when it was new. I just noticed you have a V6, my engine is a 4cyl. I feel confident telling you it will solve your problem. Good Luck
    The 4 cylinder is underpowered, in my opinion.

Other than that, it's a Ranger. I had a 94 Ranger and I loved my truck.

It had what I considered about normal maintenance things, maybe somewhat more than I would have liked but I still loved my truck.

It needed front disks and rotor, plugs and wires, radiator leaked and replaced, brake light switch replaced 3 or 4 times (why did this happen so much?), window regular, power window motor. Sold it at about 75,000 miles, it was in great shape, and a friend that is a car dealer got a lot of money for it. And a kid in Arizona got a great Christmas present from his Grandpa!
    The 4 cylinder is underpowered, in my opinion.

Other than that, it's a Ranger. I had a 94 Ranger and I loved my truck.

It had what I considered about normal maintenance things, maybe somewhat more than I would have liked but I still loved my truck.

It needed front disks and rotor, plugs and wires, radiator leaked and replaced, brake light switch replaced 3 or 4 times (why did this happen so much?), window regulator, power window motor. Sold it at about 75,000 miles, it was in great shape, and a friend that is a car dealer got a lot of money for it. And a kid in Arizona got a great Christmas present from his Grandpa!
  • molive_35molive_35 Member Posts: 2
    this might sound like a silly question but here it is,
    I own a 94 STX super cab ranger with 250,000 miles at 212,000 i replaced the motor due to a bad valve ( wasn't going to pass up the deal on a whole motor with approx-70,000 miles on odometer,thing was this motor inside was real clean due to i had to replace a valve cover scince the retard at the auto-salvage place dented it. Now mind you I had once worked at Roush in design aid and pulled many of these out and in (never ran after) but the motor I purchased was out of a 93 I saw the vehiclei t came out of and it was slightly rough on the outside ,this is not a problem due to I like the power it now has , but originally when i bought the truck in 94 it wasn't a speed demon its 4x4 but now with this newer engine i can and i mean roast em at a dead dig, dry pavement i can bark em taking off and slight dusting of wet i just set this sucker side ways to no end, I was just wondering scince it does slightly lope and I did put in another ECM after I dropped the motor in ,the ECM is from someone from light truck , and it just rocks out but even with the stock ECM it was about the same but now I just get better shift points and better milage,,. could this motor i dropped in have been tweeked before I bought it because it runs more like a 5.0 than a 4.0...Just wondering even my wife noticed the power 1 day (I pissed her off 1 day and she stomped it when she left.i think she almost crapped her shorts)...I've always had this thought in back of my mind scince and so has my buddy who helped me drop this motor in.....
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    I think the engine you have now is just in better shape than your original one ever was. If the 4.0 you have now is tweeked as you say, I think you would notice it. About the only things you can upgrade on that engine, is headers, cam, throttle intake, and manifold. The reason it may seem to have so much power is because your truck isn't very heavy, and doesn't require a lot of power to get off the line. If this question is really nagging you, have a mechanic look at it for you to see if there were any upgrades.
  • ridley1ridley1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm thinking about ordering a 2008 2wd Ford Ranger with 4.0 & auto trans. Can I get any feed back from owners of newer Rangers w/4.0. I was also thinking about a (PLEASE DON"T LAUGH) Chevy. I've only owned Ford trucks but I got upset with my Excursion when the V-10 blew a spark plug out of the head. I'm a retired GM employee and can get a better discount on GM then Ford. I've been on the Chevy website and seems like everyone is talking about having to replace the cylinder head on their I5 & I4 engines. Any feed back, good or bad, will be a HUGE help.
  • 5150abf5150abf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 ranger 4x4 with a 4.O litre engine.
    It started missing the other day, it is giving a code 171( bank 1 too lean) and says cylinder 2 is misfiring.
    Is this a bad injector on the #2 cylinder?
    I was going to switch the #2 injector to the other side and see if the problem followed till I saw you have to pull the entire intake off and with injectors being as expensive as they are I don't want to change it if I don't have too.
    Any help with this is greatly appriciated.