Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Lexus IS 250 vs Acura TSX

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Wow, here's something really interesting...

I find that TL's straight line design more aggressive and IS's curves more conservative and refined. Here comes the funny part...I choose the IS over TL with totally different view of the exterior from you. :surprise:

Nevertheless at least we agree on IS looks a bit better than TL in our own views.

BTW, I think laurasdada got an auto since he said that it was an AWD IS250.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Oh... didn't notice the AWD. :blush:
  • tlintotlinto Member Posts: 6
    I had a Mazda6 v6 Manual for 3 years and just traded it in for a TL. Didn't want the TSX because my wife has one, so I drive it all the time. And yes, I like it a lot. In fact, I can barely tell the difference between the TSX's 4 cyl engine and the Mazda6's 6 cyl engine. And fit/finish were worlds better in the TSX.

So, I cross-shopped the IS250 and the TL. Since I'll only drive a stick, the 350 wasn't an option. I took the 250 for a good spin and was extremely disappointed with the power. Not really any better than my old Mazda. Nicer interior and exterior, sure, but not a better driver and not more power. Also, the IS is way pricier than the TSX when you equip them comparably. The TSX doesn't offer a lot of choice, and that helps you get a fully loaded version at a reasonable price. Not so for the IS.

Took the TL out and the power difference was obvious. All the value of the TSX but more power....and a 6 speed manual.

It's been a month and I can't believe I was even considering the IS. BTW- my hair brushed against the roof in my test drive of the IS. I'm sure that would have driven me nuts after a short period of ownership.
    I can understand what you are saying and for some people, I suppose the TL is a no-brainer.

For the first time in my life, I am looking at vehicles and price is not my first concern.
    Yes, I would like to keep it below $45,000, but the price difference between the TL and IS has nothing to do with my comparison.

The IS250 is too under powered, I agree.
    I am comparing the TL and the IS350... without bring price into the equation.

I'm 6'1" and my head is no where near the roof of the IS.
    Was your seat all the way up?
    I have plenty of room in the front seats.

I personally feel that the IS is a higher class of vehicle.
    The touch of the steering wheel, head liner, dashboard, etc.... just feels much nicer, higher quality.

I completely agree, the TL is a far better deal for the money.
    My opinion is that if I had to bring price into the equation, I'd go with the TL before the IS.

But after sitting in and driving the IS350.... the TL does absolutely nothing for me anymore.
    I wish it did.
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    You're a lucky man if price doesn't figure into the equation much. I have an 06 TL but would have loved to have the jack to buy the IS350. Do these cars really compete with one another considering the price? Because the TL sells big because of what you get standard, outta the box, for $31K. The IS is what? 10K more? Shoot. That's a huge difference - enough to separate them from most folks' lists.
  • tlintotlinto Member Posts: 6
    For me, the lack of MT was also an issue with the 350. I was able to adjust the seat down so it didn't brush my hair, but then I was sitting lower than I wanted to. I'm 6'0 but shorter legs/taller torso.

Oh yeah, the TL was offering a 2.8 lease rate for 48 months compared with 5.8% for the IS. Worked out to be $100 or so more per month for a car with a lower MSRP (TL- Dynamic is 43,400; IS with option package 39,900).

I really wanted to like the IS- I had been following it on Edmunds, etc for well over a year before launch. The quality was there. The passion was not.
  • from_flfrom_fl Member Posts: 113
    Please go buy TL and TSX or even Mazda 6.

I don't like to see too many people driving 2-gen IS on road. Thanks.
    I think what he is saying is that, he likes the fact that they are not on every corner, and that the car is still a head turner everywhere it goes.

Once the rest of the free world realizes the wonderfulness of the IS, more will be seen, and he will stand out less.

Nothin' wrong with that!
    ;)
  • white_trashwhite_trash Member Posts: 11
    I''m about to trade in an 06' TL for an 07' IS 250. Had a Legend for 16 years
    and loved it, but am done with front wheel drive. I think the interior of the TL
    is much classier than the IS, and love the stereo,cassette and satellite radio
    all built in. More space in the trunk, and back seats, but I've also had four
    windshields put in due to visual distortions (which the sales and service dept
    all saw too). The IS 250 may not have as much hp as the TL, but being able to
    whip into and out of lanes and parking spaces will be worth the trade off...
    hopefully.
  • rabidkeeblerrabidkeebler Member Posts: 7
    Why can't we just put the body of the IS over the interior of the TL or TSX :P

I mean I'm basically torn between the external beauty of the IS but the bang for your buck of the TSX.
    "Why can't we just put the body of the IS over the interior of the TL or TSX

I mean I'm basically torn between the external beauty of the IS but the bang for your buck of the TSX."

Join the club :cry:
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Coincidentally, the (concept) redesign of the TSX looks alot like the IS so if you can wait, you might just get what your asking for---and then some.
    I dropped the 06 MDX off to the dealer so they could fix a rattling subwoofer wire and they gave me a TSX for a loaner.
    I asked if they could find a TL, since I was on the fence for buying one in the spring, and they delivered.

'06 TL, Anthracite on Black, Automatic, no Navi - 18,000 miles

I got in and found the MPG average at 24, so I cleared it and the trip odometer.

I've got approx 50 miles on it now.... hard miles ;)
    Amazingly, with 50/50 Highway/City driving, I'm still getting 23 MPG according the the car's computer.

No, I'm not beating on it, but I am seeing just what I can get out of it, if I can feel the dreaded torque steer everyone complains about, and if I'm happy with the Auto trans.

I'll just let laurasdada know now.... I like the car.
    It's not an IS350, but for $10,000 less, it's a very nice ride.
    Cruising at 75 with a tailgater in my mirror, I smacked the shift twice into 3rd and the car in my mirror quickly falls behind.

The car has more than enough power, plenty of legroom, and the torque steer issue is there, but not as bad as I thought it was.
    When I was 17, I bought a brand new Chevy Z24 5-Speed Manual.
    It also had torque steer, probably more than this TL, but I had no idea what Torque steer was then.... and I drove that car very hard as any kid would...never lost control.

All in all, I like the car.....alot.
    It's the most bang you'll get for your buck, I think.

I'm gonna test drive the 07 Infiniti G35x when it comes out in Nov.
    If I'm not happy with it, I think the 07 TL may be in my sights for early spring.
    I'm still on the Type-S fence though.
    I like the Auto, but in the TL, I'd prefer the Manual, or the rev matching paddle shifting auto... which only the Type-S provides.
    I'll test drive both and we'll see.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    R&T just gave the upcoming TL Type-S a very nice first drive write-up. 286hp, 6 MT available, some nice exterior and trim upgrades, beefier brakes and what they said was very good handling - for a FWD vehicle. :D

I suspect, for the money, it's very hard to beat. The Type-S addresses my main beef with the TL, somewhat soft handling.

If I was to consider a TL, this is the only one I'd look at, especially now that the MT is gone for the base model.
    You may also want to watch this...
    MotorWeek TL Type-S Review
  • toniamtoniam Member Posts: 2
    I've read all the comments, thank you everyone. My issue is that I drive in the Chicago winters. I love the Acura TL, but it received a poor review in the snow because it's front wheel drive. If I lived in California, this wouldn't be a problem, but let's not forget the Chicago winters.

I also like the AWD (All Wheel Drive) Lexus IS250, but it has a small interior/back seat and I'm concerned because I need it to fit a baby seat. I haven't read anything about the Lexus IS250's AWD and handling in the snow. Is the handling of the IS250 in the snow compensate for it's small interior? Is it too small? :confuse:
    Generally speaking, FWD vehicles do better than RWD vehicles in the snow- not necessarily true when comparing FWD vs. AWD. Many TL owners w/ OEM Bridgestone Turanza tires also report poor performance in snow. However, if you have a pair of snows, alot of posts on this website along with other sites report that the TL is fine in the snow. Hope this helps. ;)
    I agree with ggesq... with a nice set of snows, the TL will be fine in the Chicago Winters.

I'm in MA, which also gets crazy weather in the winter.
    I'm VERY into the IS250 due to it's looks, unbelievable feel of luxury and quality, and AWD.
    I've driven it, and I loved it, but it's got a lack of power, and small back seat (And I have my 3 yr old daughter in the back seat all the time)

I'm still on the fence as to what I'm buying in the Spring, but I'll say this...

No matter what car it is, I'm also planning on purchasing snow tires and wheels for the Winter months. It doesn't matter if it's RWD, AWD or FWD.
    The tires that come on the AWD IS250 are by no means Winter appropriate.

If you're like me, wanting Power and AWD, you may also want to consider the 07 Infiniti G35x when it comes out in Nov.

Good Luck
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    i would be concerned about the back seat with the IS.

we use a toddler seat (3.5 year old) without a problem, but its not exactly easy to get it back there. not a lot of room. i'm more sure that a permanently installed car seat (used for less than 3 year old children).

i would bring the seat to the dealer and try it out, thats what we did, and decided that for the couple of more years with the toddler seat we could get by, plus 95%+ of the time the car is driven by me alone.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Hello, Toniam: Are you sure you meant, "...Acura TL, but it received a poor review in the snow because it's front wheel drive." I've driven fwd all my life because (as a New Englander/skier) I've found it to be better in the white gold than rwd. Of course, my TL is not very good in the snow. I attribute this to the Bridgestone tires, not the TL itself, though.

You really MUST sit in and drive at lenght each car that interests you. Then buy the one that best fits all your needs/wants/desires/pocketbook. Then, if your are truly troubled by snow, as suggested by others, buy a set of good snow tires.

Note that all things being equal, in snow, awd > fwd > rwd. And also note that awd will not help you stop or turn in the snow, just pull you through the white stuff. And Chicago's pretty flat, isn't it? :)

Good luck. Drive and decide.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Hi, Scott:

Nice to know you're thinkin' of me. If only you were Heather Locklear... ;)

Glad you liked the TL. Next month is the NE Int'l Auto show, you can jump in and out of TLs, Gs and Is as I did in '04 when I began comparing the TL, G, 3, IS300, 9-3... All had their +s and -s, but in the end the TL just fit best.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• toniamtoniam Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the good advice. I never thought about the AWD pulling me through the white stuff as opposed to just helping me stop. Thanks for the info, I think I'm leaning towards the TL.... :)

And thanks for the info on the back seat, I never thought about taking a car seat to the dealer!
    I will agree that AWD does nothing for stopping in the snow. This is absolutely true.
    In fact, this is why most snow and ice related accidents are involving SUVs and Trucks.
    The drivers feel they are invincible.

I've driven 4WD for years and understand the Do's and Dont's.

They idea is to pay attention to nothing but the snow/ice covered road and the surrounding traffic.
    No radio, no cell phone, and ladies... no applying makeup while driving!

Know in advance when you need to stop and slow down early.
    When approaching a turn, slow down before it, and then power through.
    AWD/4WD will be 100% better in turns than a FWD/RWD if this method is used.

Bottom line is that the AWD models will be better in the snow and will definitely assist in starting in the white stuff, getting up to speed, Getting up hills, through the deep stuff that hasn't been plowed yet, and yes... through turns.

But, the TL will be more than sufficient in the winter months with a nice set of snows.

I have to see the G35 before deciding, but after my 2 day test drive of the TL, I'm leaning that way a little more than I was last week. ;)
    In snow, the weakest link is the driver.
    It does not matter what you have (AWD, FWD, RWD).
    The weakest link is without a doubt, the driver.
    No argument there.

But I completely disagree that there is no difference between RWD, FWD, and AWD models.

If you refuse to agree with that, come on by some morning after a nice snow and/or ice storm with your 330i w/ Summer Tires and see if you get out of my driveway.

But don't worry, I'll tow you out with my AWD Acura MDX ;) :P :D
    Agreed. Although it seems having AWD only makes some of those weakest links even weaker! "I've got AWD!!! I'm invincible in the snow!!! Full speed ahead!!!"

As we say around PC users, It's the "ID10T" error... ;)

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yep, that's what we say - the eye dee ten tee error!! ;)
    Yup, that and "pebcak"

Problem exists between chair and keyboard

:P
    "PEBSAW?"

Problem exists between seat and wheel...? :)

• benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    What about: RYDM = Read Your Damn Manual

or my favorite ..

Loose Nut Behind Wheel
    BTW, some driver think first before he/she takes the wheel.

How about you use your AWD Acura MDX first tow "your" 330i out your driveway? I will then drive the 330i(with summer tires) to where ever. I love drifting.
    "How about you use your AWD Acura MDX first tow "your" 330i out your driveway? I will then drive the 330i(with summer tires) to where ever. I love drifting."

LOL, sounds like a plan.

If I could, I'd have a RWD toy and just park at the top of the driveway.... but it's a narrow coutry road.
    When the plow comes by, it would be messy... and the car would either be buried, or pushed into the next town.

Either way, the driveway and winter roads are a concern.
    Oh well.
  • sjaisjai Member Posts: 2
    I own the IS250 AWD. I have had it for a month now. I was planning on getting the Acura TL. I did not intend to spend more than 35K (after taxes) on a car with Navi. Test drove the TL and was about to purchase it. Took a friend to the Lexus dealership on the same day and while there decided to check out the IS250. It was over for the TL after that. The IS250 has a more luxuriuos interior. You have to test drive it to understand what I mean. Also I think the IS250 is the least photogenic car of the 2. It has less power though but I was looking more towards luxury (e.g keyless entry/start, backup camera, ventilated seats etc)than power/speed.I ended up spending 40K (after taxes) but it was worth every penny. IMHO, the TL gives you more value for the dollar, but I think this is becuase it has shared parts with the Honda Accord. A clear sign of this is the steering wheel. I think the quality of the leather and plastic is more inferior as well. I think thats why the price is lower than the competition. I don't think the TSX is in the same class as the TL & IS. I think it can be compared to the JETTA and others in that class.
  • tigerninatigernina Member Posts: 7
    I was in the market for a TSX too but when i test drove it, i was very aware of the raod noise. it is loud when you turn off your radio. now i am leaning towards the TL which is 3K more but 33K OTD isn't so bad compared to road noise of TSX at 30K OTD. i hope i do not need to change my mind again b/c there is so much research and wheeling and dealing involved to get a fair price
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I don't keep up-to-date with pricing, but if the TL is only $3k more than a TSX, the TL is either a steal or the TSX pricing is robbery!!!
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    the TL is about 4k more than the TSX..I havent had a TSX quote for awhile but Im pretty sure its around 25k...now the TL is still a steal at that price...the part I dont get is how they come about pricing the IS 250 for up to 2-3k more than the TL!
    TSX is an Accord. TL is another fancy Accord. All has FWD.
    I had 2 Accords. Been there, done that. I think I have enough Accord.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    TSX is an Accord. TL is another fancy Accord. All has FWD.
    I had 2 Accords. Been there, done that. I think I have enough Accord

The TSX is an Accord? What a profound revelation. You're a cliche dude.
    "TSX is an Accord. TL is another fancy Accord. All has FWD.
    I had 2 Accords. Been there, done that. I think I have enough Accord."

My wife has driven a 2000 Honda Accord EX for the past 6 years.

We're now looking for something new and I've taken the TL out for a few test-drives...one being 2 days long.

Trust me, the TL is not my wife's acord.

I have not driven a TSX though...
    TL and Accord might share the same platform but there are significant differences between the two.

"Been there, done that. I think I have enough Accord."
    Adios!
  • grace_gtgrace_gt Member Posts: 14
    The TSX is an Accord in Europe. They even have a Wagon called Accord Tourer which is a wagon version of the TSX.
    Check out the UK Honda Website:

http://www.honda.co.uk/car/
  • claypotclaypot Member Posts: 2
    "TSX is an Accord."
    I would say TSX is a slightly fancier version of Japanese Accord as you may observe in http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCORD/

"TL is another fancy Accord."

"I had 2 Accords. Been there, done that. I think I have enough Accord. "

I have driven 98 Accord Wagon in Japan and another 00 Accord here in the States and I am now driving 06 TL because I wanted to find a car similar in styling and features available in Accord.
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    peope can say that about any car though no matter how you put it

the IS is just a fancy corolla
    TSX/TL just a fancy accord
    the G35 is just a fancy maxima
    the es350 is just a fancy camry
    etc
    etc
    etc

while they all share simlarities with their counterpart...there are more than enough differences to set them apart.
  • jzalkinjzalkin Member Posts: 56
    "peope can say that about any car though no matter how you put it

the IS is just a fancy corolla
    TSX/TL just a fancy accord
    the G35 is just a fancy maxima
    the es350 is just a fancy camry
    etc
    etc
    etc "

Actually you can't (atleast without lying).

- The IS is based on a cut down platform of the GS
    - TSX is based on European Accord
    - TL based upon US Accord
    - G35 and 350z share platforms
    - ES350 shares Camry platform.
    Typo

- TSX is an European and Japanese Accord. Honda motor company think it is.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    G35 and 350z share platforms

Yes - they share a platform so they are both RWD and use that fantastic v6, but the interior is an upgraded Nissan Altima.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I am not sure I understand this thread. Just because two cars by the same company have the same platform, does that mean that they are necessarilly the same complete car? I don't know much about this concept but let's put in some items that change between an American Accord and a TL: engine, transmission, suspension, steering mechanism, brakes, sound absorption, body style, tech features, and interior design and materials. Okay, so the lateral stiffness is similar but really, what else is similar? The old Camry and ES were an example of two very, very similar cars under different makes, but the differences today are extensive.
    No matter how you spin it. TSX is an Accord. Honda motor company think it is.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The TSX is an Accord in Europe. It is not an American Accord.
    Agree but why?
This discussion has been closed.