Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    I lost my case iam sick of this car I want to trade it but its a big loss of money
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I'm sorry I still don't see the legal basis for getting a refund if you don't like a product no matter if it's $12 for a movie or $22000 for an auto or $400,000 for a house. I don't deny that you are unhappy and I have seen the situation in several vehicles, including our Highlander, but I've been able to work around it and for whatever reason it's gone away - on the Highlander. Maybe as captain2 noted above the Highlander taught us how to use it.

But to expect a refund through some legal channel because the vehicle doesn't perform as expected is naive IMO. I have often been wrong before though.
  • Options
    damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    Did ur car loose pwr liked it died for about 4secs then jerked real bad and then took off and then the guy behind you just about smacked in the [non-permissible content removed] of you? Well u are intitled to your opion but i dont think you no what you are talking about and you dont no what others people with the same problem that i have. Maybe you are use to getting the screws put to you but im not and i am not going to start now. If i wanted to buy a crappy car i would of looked for one and paid 500 dollars for it.And like i said most of these cars didnt have issues until later with anywhere from 1000 miles to 6500 miles on it. Come take a trip with my camry and see how you like it. But like I said u are intitle to your opion.
  • Options
    damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    HEy sorry for being a smart [non-permissible content removed] i just get alittle heated about it sometimes. so sorry
  • Options
    I can make the Highlander do that, not for 4 sec but for a long instant.

All three current vehicles the Highlander, MR2 and Prius perform wonderfully after a period of acquaintance.

While I'm certain that you don't like the way your Camry acts from what it appears the vast majority of other owners don't find the same annoyances or adjust to the vehicle's peculiarities or Toyota has made some adjustments in later production to minimize the annoyances. I'm not trying to minimize your specific situation only to say that there is IMHO no legal recourse for not liking a product.
  • Options
    It also don't help when their execs get arrested for hiding the recalls.

A little hyperbole perhaps?

From Inside Line, 7-13-06

TOKYO — Japanese prosecutors are looking into an alleged delay by Toyota executives in recalling the Hilux Surf SUV, a.k.a. the 4Runner in the U.S.
  • Options
    chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Has anyone have their V-6 Se trans or valve body replaced yet. If so did id fix all the shifting problems?
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Toyota sold 42,000 Camrys in August, up from 39,000 the previous year. By now, I'd think, if problems with the car were anything other than the exception word-of-mouth "advertising" would have begun to hurt sales.

I'd sure like to know whether these early roll out problems are more, less, or typical for a new model.
  • Options
    rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    Market studies have proven that it will take years of reliability issues before a well-selling product experiences a downturn in sales.

The issue we have here is the "trend" of poorer design and quality control shown in the newer Toyota products. There has been an increasing numbers of articles in both Japanese and American engineering, marketing, and management journals questioning the subject and commenting on what Toyota could and should do to reverse it.

Newly designed models, such as the '07 Camry, always show a surge in sales. Look back to the '02 Camry and campare sales to '03 thru '06. By 2003, Toyota was offering 0% financing to keep sales up, and that was a hot year for sales of all cars.

Even now, you can get a new '07 for invoice or a little over. I purchased my '07 for $300 over invoice in March. A friend just purchased a 6-cyl LE for $350 over invoice. If you paid more than $500 over invoice, you paid too much.
  • Options
    chacha426chacha426 Member Posts: 16
    Izc - it appears to be an early rollout issue with that trans mission part. Purchased mine about June 1 and had the trans and torque converter replaced 2 weeks ago. After driving with the replacement, it's clear that my car had issues from the start and got progressively worse. The trans/torque conv replacement is better than "brand new". I've been assured that the part problem was caught early on and later 6-speed models are fine. However, them bumping up my warranty to 7yr/100K makes me feel better. Satisfied with the car and treatment by TMUSA and my dealership.
  • Options
    chacha426chacha426 Member Posts: 16
    It's odd... TMUSA offered me 3 options when my XLE 6-spd at 2200 miles, 1) replace my car with brand new, 2) full refund of the price of the car - no depreciation, and 3) fix my car, give a rental, pay 1 month car payment and extend the 3y/60K warranty to the 7yr/100K warranty. Opted for #3 and repairs have been complete and car is better than brand new.
  • Options
    When Toyota offered to buy back cars for the Transmission issues it was the car with the early snap ring proplems. The other issues as rpm flare in the v-6 and hesitation in the v-4 are not getting that offer. I have heard though the trans and torque converter replacement has cleard the rpm flare issue though they want to do the valve body replacement first. I would like to hear more on this if anyone has experienced this? Thanks
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    hi, i need some help regarding this tsb. i bought a 2007 camry about two weeks ago and experience an pretty noticable downshift when the car decelerates from 45 mph to 28 mph. my cars vin number is 4T1BE46K17U059812. is my car one of the ones affected?
  • Options
    Do you have a V-4 or V-6? I know the v-6 has a bulliten out for a valve body replacement.
  • Options
    I bought mt v-6 end of July. I have the rpm flare problem. My car been at the dealership for 2 weeks waiting for a valve body though I think they will have to do the trans and torque converter replacement. How long did it take you to get this done? Did they try a valve body first?
    Is the car still shifting fine? Thank for your feed back
  • Options
    camryusacamryusa Member Posts: 9
    The downshift I believe is normal. When I noticed it, I thought at first that I was having brake problems.

On another note, what is up with the poor radio reception quality that the Camrys are getting. It really sucks. I sometimes wish that they had gone with a normal antenna.

Once again, I really love my Camry and am still happy with the purchase. However, if mine really develops the shift problem then I am going to be furious. I am tired of dealing with the know it all bureaucratic service managers. I already traded in my 05 Toyota Matrix for this Camry because of low quality reasons (I lost big). If I trade this Camry in, then I am going to loose even more money then on the Matrix. You must ask, what made me buy a Toyota again. Well, I only drive Hondas or Toyotas and the Honda Accord is going to be replaced soon. Was thinking of getting a SUV, but was afraid that the gas prices would kill me. I had to pay 1250 over invoice on mine (ouch), plus take a huge loss on my trade in (Toyota Matrix).
  • Options
    Two more things.

You can also shift gears manually on the 4 cylinder automatics, you just don't have the 5th gear available. When you need the 5th gear, then you can just put it into D. I do it sometimes when I need that extra power without the automatic transmission shifting on me.

The other thing is, does anyone have any news about the steering virbration problem (at around 70mph) and is everyone experiencing it? Thanks.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A reminder for some ... this discussion is a place where folks may talk about and help each other with difficulties of any sort with their 07 Camry. It's not a place to decide what to buy instead of a Camry and it's not a place to debate foreign vs. domestic thoughts.

Posts that are not on topic have to be removed.

Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    I have the four cylinder version. I read earlier there is a bulletin to fix the problem of the downshift.

Also is it good to shift the car manually on an auto?
  • Options
    simplykim17simplykim17 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced this:

When the rear window(s) are down and the front windows are up, there is a severe wind buffeting effect. Are there any remedies to this problem other than opening the front windows or sunroof?
  • Options
    concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    I have the same situation on my SE-V6 and posted a message about this within the past week. What I don't like is that the car decelerates down to approx. 22 mph and then suddenly rolls freely. If your foot is not on the brake when this happens, it could potentially plow you into something and cause an accident.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, it occurs on our 2004 Camry with at least the right rear window down.

How do I know this? Well, we flew to L.A. last December and rode back home cross-country with our son, who decided to leave school there. He had the Camry in L.A.

My wife mostly rode in the right rear seat. When we were moving at high speeds, she would sometimes lower her window to take a picture.

Man, what a buffeting we'd get in the front seat! It was downright painful on the ears. Scientifically, it's known as the Helmholtz effect. Interestingly, it wasn't bad for my wife right next to the open window.

I think this is typical of today's cars, where nearly everyone has a/c. There was a rant I saw on another website where the driver of a rental Chevy Cobalt lowered only his rear windows. He was running out gas and turned off the a/c. Why he lowered only the rear windows I don't understand.

Anyway, he claims the car became virtually uncontrollable above 40 mph due to the buffeting and vibration (perhaps a little hyperbole here). He thought he had a flat tire or other serious condition, but no, he discovered through trial and error that the windows being open caused the problem.

So, why do you want to lower only the rear windows? I'd try opening the front windows alone or the front and rear windows together.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    It's really better just to leave the tranny in "drive." (I'm referring to the 5-speed auto on the 4-cylinder model.)

The only exception is when you're descending long, steep grades. In that case, depending on your speed and the steepness of the grade, you may want to downshift manually to 4th or 3rd. At much lower speeds (25 mph or so), you can use 2nd. First gear will hardly ever be needed unless you literally want to crawl down a hill.

Note however that the tranny will automatically downshift to 4th or even 3rd if you step moderately hard on the brake pedal at some point during your descent (which will also temporarily cancel the cruise control). It will then hold this gear until you level out, step on the accelerator pedal, or hit "resume" on the cruise control.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "Scientifically, it's known as the Helmholtz effect." ((

VERY good! (Someone was paying attention in high school physics class and/or has had some experience with bass-reflex speaker systems.) Helmholtz resonators can also be tuned to null pesky frequencies. Every motor vehicle designed to operate on public roads (and most that aren't) has at least one such device. A smaller version is oft used by those operating outside legal norms to minimize their personal arsenal's propensity for attention-drawing noise, too. ;)
  • Options
    scarboro12scarboro12 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 07 camry with 2200 miles. My car has drivetrain problems such as acceeration hesitation, spiking rpm's and abrupt downshifts. Car has been in shop 3 times with no improvement. Toyota says problem should be smoothed out by 1st or 2nd service. I think this is wishful thinking. I bought a toyota to be reliable out of the box, not to have to work out problems before enjoying my new car. I'll probably go to arbitration and if I don't get problem fixed or a new car, I'll trade for a honda and never buy another toyota.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Hello scarboro12, is your car a 4 or 6 cylinder? What work have they done so far on the car? I am having problems also with my trans and could'nt agree with you more about not having to put up with these problems at the start of a brand new purchase. Keep me informed, Thanks, Chuck
  • Options
    I was driving today when I looked to the right and say the back (back rest) of my passenger seat vibrating and shaking. This is when going about 40 mph. CAN ANYOEN TELL ME IF THIS IS NORMAL AND IF YOUR PASSENGER SEAT IS DOING THE SAME THING.
    I already had to replace my drivers seat because of manufacture quality reasons. I know that if you leave the door wide open on the Camry, while the car is on, then the door really shakes.
    I really don't want to keep replacing seats here. I can see now that I should have waited a year before buying the Camry, for Toyota to get its act together with the new Camry.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Sounds as if you have a tire out of round. Mine is very smooth riding, with no body/drive train vibrations.
  • Options
    faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Same thing on my old '07 Camry XLE V6. It was worse if the seat was reclined much. It is not a problem in my '07 Camry Hybrid which replaced the XLE. It was an annoying rattling noise.
  • Options
    rkallyrkally Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please describe exactly what happens with V6 rpm flare to this car-novice....i.e. what speeds the car is at when shifting from 3rd to 4th, how high the rpm goes up?

Just recently I think my car has been holding onto 2nd gear longer than previously (pretty sure its 2nd, seems to slow to be in 3rd already), but is still shiftin at around 2200 rpm. The shift is more noticeable than other shifts it makes though - a slight jerk. Should I be worried? Does this also count as an rpm flare that would be corrected by the fix previously described?

your insights are appreciated - I'm admittedly pretty car-naive. My SE V6 has almost 700 miles on it - have been quite happy with it.
  • Options
    cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    "Can someone please describe exactly what happens with V6 rpm flare to this car-novice....i.e. what speeds the car is at when shifting from 3rd to 4th, how high the rpm goes up?"

Look at this link for a couple of video's of the RPM spike (what Toyota calls the RPM flare).

www.putfile.com/corton

The files are large (6mb and 4mb), so they may take a while to D/L and play on your system.
  • Options
    well, that's not what's going on with my car b/c my issue is at much lower speeds....just seems to hold on to 2nd gear longer than previously. should i worry about this?
    VIN ends in 015079....too late in production for the early issues I'd imagine.

appreciate your insights.
  • Options
    gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    rkally: your problem might be similar to mine, but not sure by the explanation. Doe sit feel like it has down shifted and holding you back, almost like the parking brake is on? We discussed this a week or so ago if it is the same probelem or as I have been told, a designed in normalcy. How is that for some new wording?
  • Options
    gene22: it occurs when i am accelerating rather than slowing down....probably something different from what you have going on.

does anyone think I should worry that i seem to be in 2nd until about 2200 rpm with an abrupt upshift to 3rd?? it was not doing this previously as far as i can tell. alternatively, i might just becoming paranoid b/c of other people's ongoing transmission issues.

thanks for your help
  • Options
    rfarkerfarke Member Posts: 3
    I agree about the poor radio reception. Has anyone found any help from a dealer, or outside source?
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Does it happen all the time or when the engine is cold ? If it only happens when the engine is cold then it is normal as I have been told. Has to do with SULEV emission and protecting the transmission.
  • Options
    Motown: I just drove home from work. Does not seem to depend on engine being cold b/c was still happening intermittently as i got close to home (about a 15 minute drive).....was I did notice is that it happens when I'm on the pedal gently b/c of slow traffic. When I press down firmly it does not seem to happen. It seems like the RPM's acutely go up about 400-500 when shifting from 2nd to 3rd....all other shifts are ok.

Is this the dreaded RPM flare or am I just paranoid?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    The rpm flare is supposed to be between 3rd and 4th gears and the spike is about 1000-2000 rpm not 500. The snap ring problem on the other hand is supposed to be between 2nd and 3rd gears. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    lativ6lativ6 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Chuck28,

I picked up my '07 V6 SE on Friday after 2 weeks at the dealership. They changed the valve body. It drove great Saturday and Sunday. Monday I stayed home all day and didn't drive it. On Tuesday the RPM spiking was back. I didn't want to admit it to anyone, but Wednesday and today it was even more apparent.

I just got off the phone with my Toyota customer service rep. and she told me to take it back to an authorized dealership to diagnose the problem. I told her that I knew what the next step would be and that I was not willing to take that step. She refused to comment and told me that their only obligation was to repair the car. She claims that no one has ever been offered a new vehicle!! I asked to speak to her supervisor and she told me that she was the only person that I would ever be able to deal with.

I spend two hours Friday evening washing and waxing my car. I don't want to drive that stinking loaner again.

When are you getting your car back?
  • Options
    Hi Lativ,I am still waiting on them to do my valve body. They are waiting on a O ring. I'm trying to have patience.
    The next step may be for them to change the transmission. I read a post where they had the valve body replaced that did'nt fix the problem but when the trans and torque converter was replaced there was no problems after 3 weeks.
    You may also be able to ask for a 7 year 100,000 mile waranty on the new trans? I feel for you as I am going through the same emotions. You may want to look into the lemon law as I may do that? Though you must give them a chance to get it right. Hang in there! Chuck
    Ps I would love to talk to you further though this site does not allow the exchange of info. Keep in touch...
  • Options
    eddiecruzeddiecruz Member Posts: 18
    Do any of you notice that the rear tire wells of the 07 Camry are made of fabric? It looks like the same material that the trunk is lined with. I have never seen this and usually manufactures make the wheel wells out of something more durable. I’m wondering in rain if this would absorb water.
    :confuse:
  • Options
    scarboro12scarboro12 Member Posts: 4
    My car is a 4 cylinder. I have a case # and case manager assigned to my complaint. They have not returned 2 phone calls. I will try to speak to a supervisor thursday morning. Those of us who have the drivetrain problem are getting stonewalled by Toyota.
  • Options
    drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    Do any of you notice that the rear tire wells of the 07 Camry are made of fabric? It looks like the same material that the trunk is lined with. I have never seen this and usually manufactures make the wheel wells out of something more durable. I’m wondering in rain if this would absorb water.

good question eddiecruz... it's not a cost cutting measure, it's actually been used in lexus models and is intended to further reduce road noise, especially, the dings and 'ticks' that you'd hear driving on gravel roads and salted roads. My Lexus RX has it, and has stood up very well. It doesn't soak up water like you'd think...
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Has anyone tried to get a TV station or Newspaper interested in doing a story on these problems. Manufacturers hate news/tv about problems.
  • Options
    agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Does anyone know if the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid has similar transmission issues as the 2007 Camry I4 and or V6 experience? I know that TCH has ECVT transmission, but I was curious as I am planning to purchase one before 9/30/06.

Let me/us know...
  • Options
    sladd0175sladd0175 Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Camry 4cyl 5MT also hesitates very badly, usually between 2500-3500rpms. I have taken it to the dealership a couple times and they have opened a tech case. Has anyone had any luck yet? BTW, Mall of Georgia Toyota was much more helpful than Atlanta Toyota. Atlanta Toyota was rude and acted like I was crazy. I also found their shop foreman does not know that much about those cars. He tried to tell me the 4cylinder Camry has four O2 sensors so I asked him to show me them.. Cause I thought it only had two.
  • Options
    The two tranny's are entirely different. The PSD in the TCH and Prius and Highlander Hybrid does not shift in the same way as a traditional transmission does.

The PSD/ECVT has potentially an infinite number of settings ( gears ) depending on what's needed, not the 4, 5 or 6 as in a traditional tranny. You should drive one for an extended test to see that there is no sense of shifting at any time. The reliability of this has been excellent since it was intro'd in the 2004 Prius.
  • Options
    sarge07sarge07 Member Posts: 5
    My vehicle SE V6 had about 600 miles on it when it became very noticeable. The speed does not matter, my shift flare occurred during the 1st couple of cycles through the gears at start up. Regarding your other question about "holding on to 2nd gear for a long time" I would agree completely, mine seems to do the same thing.

I had my vehicle in for service and according to the TSB they replaced the valve body. Picked up my car yesterday and the flare is still there, the TSB did not work. The thing that upset me the most is the technician said "it's all fixed" and as soon as I drive off the lot the prob lem repeated itself. I dropped my car off this morning and called Toyota Customer Service, they issued me a case number and told me that a case manager would call me within 24 hours. I love the car, hate the transmission issues I'm having. This is my first Toyota and how I am treated regarding this problem will be a deciding factor if I should ever buy Toyota again.
  • Options
    rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    As I've stated before in other posts, the teaching procedure applied after the repair is quite specific and, if not followed properly, could lead to a transmission that continues to exhibit the flare.

Do you know that the tech took the car out and performed the procedure properly?