Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• sarge07sarge07 Member Posts: 5
    He stated the procedure to me about depressing the accelerator 15% then 25% and entering some info on a diagnostic tester...so I am assuming they did it properly. Was I there and know for sure, no, but I would like to think that they don't want to keep seeing me every week and fix the problem according to the TSB.
  • yorkdaneyorkdane Member Posts: 6
    Well, I'm back. As most of you know, I had a new transmission put in my car about a month and a half ago, after the regular "fixes" (rebooting, manual reboot, valve body replacement, solenoid, etc...) and unfortunately the flaring has returned. I took my car in on Tuesday, and the dealership was instructed by Toyota to drain the transmission fluid (which they tried twice on the original transmission - to no avail), and to reboot the computer.

I have filed and been assigned yet another case number, although the rep said I shouldn't expect a call back from anyone.

I will be contacting Toyota tomorrow, in the hopes that they will do an even trade on another Toyota, before I file under the Texas Lemon Law (since this was the fifth attempt at repair - even though our laws only require three attempts). I was going to pursue this a couple of months ago, but then they called about the new transmission, so I was hoping this problem would be resolved.

To those of you that have had success with customer service, regarding trade-ins or buy backs, will you please give me their names?
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello Yorkdane,I was wondering what camry do you own? v-4 or v-6?
    I just got my car back today v-6 se after a valve body replacement. No problems yet though I'm waiting ti'll the morning to see if the rpm flare is gone seeing that it only happens after thefirst 10 mins after a cold start. I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has had suscess with a valve body replacement. I hope Toyota take care of your issues? Keep in touch, Chuck
  • sladd0175sladd0175 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any luck with Lemon Law in Georgia?
  • yorkdaneyorkdane Member Posts: 6
    V-6. Mine worked fine for about 2 days after that repair, then went back to flaring.

As for the repairs made on yesterday, I got in my car this morning, and it is now flaring between 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th.
  • sarge07sarge07 Member Posts: 5
    Well the dealership said they did not program the transmission correctly and reprogrammed it. I picked up the car and test drove with technician in the car, spike of 700 rpm between 3rd and 4th. The service manager and tech said that the transmission needs to learn my driving style (Bull shi#) I do not believe that is the reason. Anyway, they said it would take 3-4 days to learn??? I'm going to drive it over the weekend and if the problem still exists, which I fully expect it will, I will be taking my car back in Monday.
  • cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    The recent posts echo my experience with RPM spike (what Toyota calls RPM flare) on my (former) 2007 Camry XLE V6. I had the valve body replaced and then the transmission replaced and the problem was still there.

Has anyone had the RPM spike (flair) problem successfully fixed on their 2007 V6 Camry? If so, please post the details of your repairs so that the rest of those affected can at least get an idea of where to start.

It just amazes me that it is taking Toyota so long to get a definitive fix for this problem.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    wasn't it post 1520 that indicated success with the transmission and torque convertor being replaced? maybe the issue is in the torque convertor?
  • francfranc Member Posts: 20
    Chuck, Please let me know what happens. Read my posts to see where we are with our 2007 4 cyl. Camry. We have two cases opened and they still say there is nothing wrong with the transmission. Just spoke to the Toyota Case Rep. and told her not to call again unless they have a fix or are willing to admit that there is a problem. Maybe we can find someone in the Atlanta area, we live in Marietta, that will figure out what is wrong. Can't believe this is the Toyota Corp. :(
    Hello, I checked for the rpm flaring 1st thing this morning seeing this is when it usally would happen. So far no flaring though I'm nervous when hearing about pthers who have had it come back. I have the v-6 and they only replaced the valve body. I am in the North suburbs of Chicago dealing with Grossinger Toyota in Skokie.
    Tomorrow will be day 2 and hoping for the best?
    Keep in thouch
  • scarboro12scarboro12 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2200 mile new 2007 camry. Neither my case manager or her supervisor will return my call. They say the rpm spiking and hesitation will work itself out by the 1st or 2nd service. What a disappointment.
  • rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    Sorry to hear that the problem is still there. :(

I thought that the teaching was not done correctly the first time and I would bet that it wasn't done correctly the second time. And the comments about the transmission having to learn your driving style to eliminate the still-present flare is, as far as I am concerned, a sign of the service people covering their incompetence.

I hope on Monday you can tell me I was wrong.
    Has anybody noticed that on the radio settings they have a asl feature? The manual says you can adust it to low-med or high which I saw on the v-4 le loner I drove. My car though the v-6 SE only offers you to turn it on or off. No low-med-high.
  • taracatactaracatac Member Posts: 4
    Wow, this transmission issue has me worried. I am buying a car next week, and was planning on the Camry LE, but now maybe I should go with the Accord. How common are these problems?
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I have always loved the Camry, and was very seriously considering a 2007 Camry LE. However, it appears the problems with the transmission, and the other reported problems, are getting the attention of the buying public. Our local Toyota dealer has a substantial number of Camrys in stock, CE, LE, SE, and XLE, and the inventory turnover is not normal. In fact, I've checked the lot every couple of days for 3 weeks, and these cars are simply not moving off the lot as in the past.

One question that I don't know if anyone has addressed as yet: Toyota contracted with the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN to build Camrys to increase Toyota's production capacity. Does anyone know if production there has begun, and I wonder if any of the fit-and-finish (build quality) problems pointed out by several publications may be due to this facility, and not the Georgetown, KY plant?
  • ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    taracatac, I desperately need a car. I ordered camry LE and later cancelled and got the deposit back. It seems the problems are quite widespread. Some people can live with it, some can not. I just don't want to be one of those unhappy person. Personally, I like toyota. I have a corolla and I love it. later, I looked for accord and it seems that the accord has brake, ABS and sometimes transmission problems (source yahoo auto reviews).So what car to buy?

Personally I talked with 3 people and they are happy with their camry purchase.

You can check other sites for reviews (msn, yahoo etc).
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    taracatac, I desperately need a car. I ordered camry LE and later cancelled and got the deposit back. It seems the problems are quite widespread. Some people can live with it, some can not. I just don't want to be one of those unhappy person. Personally, I like toyota. I have a corolla and I love it. later, I looked for accord and it seems that the accord has brake, ABS and sometimes transmission problems (source yahoo auto reviews).So what car to buy?

Personally I talked with 3 people and they are happy with their camry purchase.

hey ilovecars1, you can make that 4 very happy people. Though I've become a little paranoid ever since reading about the transmisions problems here, driving at irregular speeds and ways to try and see if I have that problem, my 07 SE has been nothing short of perfect. It's been just over 3 months now and can say I don't regret trading in my very old Avalon. I also own a Lexus 350 and Porsche Boxter S and can honestly say that my Camry is my preferred everyday car.

What I can suggest is forming a relationship with the dealer... so to have the peace of mind that you'll be taken care of. My dealer let me drive two different models for 24 hour test drives. And I don't necissarily believe that this transmission problem is as wide spread as you might think. I've yet to read one professional automotive journalist report such an issue, and I'd bet that some of the negative reviews on msn and yahoo are the same that are having problems here.

Anyways, Good luck. A lot of decent cars out there too, but I don't think you have too much to worry about in buying or leasing an 07 Camry.
  • damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    I drove my camry over 5000 miles before I had any problems with it. So I dont know if you will find it in the test drive. I am happy to hear that he is happy with his SE, Because I am thinking of trading my SE in for a 07 maxima, which if I would of test drove one before my Camry I would of bought it instead. Look around out there.
    Thanks for your post. Is your car a 4 cyl? How many miles on it?
  • mytchandmbmytchandmb Member Posts: 10
    So far I have absolutely no complaints with my TCH's transmission. At first I found that the car was not exciting. There is no surge of power when it shifts/down shifts. Then I drove our other car, iritating! If the (5 spd) tranny didn't down shift it was sluggish, and sometimes, it revs too much if it downshifted. I never had any complaint with the gear ratio selected by the TCH.

For the average driving the CVT is great smooth with no "shift" lag. I wouldn't buy it for my sports car. BTW, I am very pleased with the real life performance of the TCH.
    "Thanks for your post. Is your car a 4 cyl? How many miles on it?"

I went with the SE I4 5A with option C Package (Canadian packages) with leather/heated seats, moonroof..., after originally considering the V6. I realized as an everyday office car, I didn't need the excessive power of the V6.

There is currently just over 8,000 km (just under 5000 miles) on the odometer after a few long road trips. But most of my driving is in the city. And there has been no rattles or squeaks, or any QC issues, no transmission problems, no cruise control issues as of yet.

As for the 'weak AC' some have noted. I don't know if again, it was just their models, or just a perception issue, but living in southern Ontario, where our summers can hit 37 degrees Celsius (99 degrees F) and close to 50 degrees celsius (122 degrees F) with humidity, it had no problem keeping me cool.

And the Maxima, it's a great car too. Gets plenty of great reviews too and I wouldn't put it down either. But some have their share of problems too and it cost more too. Just look at the edmunds forums to start, and consumer guide's review isn't very possitive and doesn't get a 'best buy' or 'recommened' rating like the camry does. http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38767/
    But, the maxima isn't really Nissan's direct competitor to Camry either, beginning at a base price near a fully loaded camry. Nissan's Altima would be the direct competitor and is recommended by consumer reports, unlike it's bigger brother. I'd also suggest looking at the Sonata... though it'll take a few generations of Hyundais to convince me of it's resale and reliability, it's backed with a great warranty and has been getting great reviews too.

The point is, unfortunately, some people unfortunately just end up with 'lemons' or other issues, whether minor or major, and others just have some expectations that may or may not be founded. For example, that bad review by cars.com by the three editors... one noted how unhappy he was with the leather, "it was stiff and cheap feeling," while the another editor said how happy he was with the leather, "to its credit, this camry had soft leather,"... so, as I said... it seems to be rife with perception issues. As for the actual measurable issues like ill fitting dash panel gaps, etc. Surely it's not acceptable, but occurs few and very far inbetween. Just read the doezens of other reviews by automotive journalists who have congratulated Toyota on it's latest efforts, or watch Edmunds.com's own video review... including one review by a journalist who is known to dislike Toyota and its' products... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/27/AR2006012700832.- - - - html

If you just google in 2007 toyota camry reviews, which I'm sure you have, you'll read a consistent and vast majority of automotive journalists have few quips about any quality issues, and none that i have seen about the transmission issues. If you should choose the Camry, discuss your concerns with the dealer and ask/inform them that you would like to thoroughly inspect the car when you pick it up, and refuse to accept it if there are such issues.

Again, it's too bad that some such as Damon34 have had major issues with their new camrys, and it's a bigger shame they haven't been able to and repair these issues. But I can tell you that I am extremely happy with mine, the only issue I have is with design... I wish Toyota could have figured out how to have the increased structural integrity that the V-brace provides, while still allowing for the rear seats to fold down, since this is an everyday car for me. Oh, I wish Toyota would have offered this car in a Pearl white paint with a cream/off white leather interior aswell. So, I guess I'm not completely happy. I hope this helps, Let me know if you have anyother questions...
    Hey damon34, do you have VSC on your Camry SE?
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I am really excited and glad to hear positive feedback about the 2007 TCH as I did purchase today one and not sure what to expect from it (my first Hybrid ever).

Tomorrow I am going to sell my 2006 4Runner LTD 4WD V8 to CarMax as I got tired of paying for gas so fast getting only 13-17MPG in city...
    "I am really excited and glad to hear positive feedback about the 2007 TCH as I did purchase today one and not sure what to expect from it (my first Hybrid ever)."

Congratulations! Keep us informed of what you think of your new Camry.
    Well, so far so good. On sep. 7th I got my car back after a valve body replacement. So far no RPM spike/flare. I'm hoping it stays that way? I will be more convinced in a few more days. Has anyone else had success with there RPM flare? Chuck
  • taracatactaracatac Member Posts: 4
    I think I will be going with the Camry. I plan on getting it by the end of the month. My schedule is too hectic next week. I will post when I get it.
    Anybody who purchased camry after the TSB's, did you guys notice any problems yet? I am just wondering if the relatively new camrys have any problem.
    I honestly beleive you will be more than happy, and I'm hoping for it. What model are you thinking about?
  • simplykim17simplykim17 Member Posts: 2
    I like to lower the back windows for fresh air without a bunch of wind in my face. What's the point of having back windows if they are virtually unusable.
    "I like to lower the back windows for fresh air without a bunch of wind in my face. What's the point of having back windows if they are virtually unusable."

I could be dead wrong, but I don't think that's a unique problem to the 07 toyota Camry. A friend and I went golfing last weekend, he drove us in his new 06 Cadillac STS and had that 'booming' buffetting sound when only the rear windows were down.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    It's not a unique problem. In my original reply to kim, I cited a rant on another website trashing the Chevy Cobalt for the very same issue.

I drive with only my sunroof open now, or at lower speeds in nice weather, just the driver's window.

In my old '80 Volvo 2-door, I used to leave the flip-open rear windows opened all summer -- this helped pull air through the car, and I didn't use the a/c much.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you are correct. helmholtz resonance is a phenomenon we are actually all quite familiar with (from an effects standpoint) if we have enjoyed music, and many many models of vehicles exhibit this resonance.

here's something specific with respect to the vehicle cabin and the mathematics involved for the curious:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Acoustics/Flow-induced_oscillations_of_a_Helmholtz_- resonator
  • lativ6lativ6 Member Posts: 14
    Chuck,

I'm holding my breath for you. I brought mine back in on
    Saturday. No word yet. My RPM flare returned 4 days after having the valve body replaced.

Click on my name and get my email address.
  • tnltnltnltnl Member Posts: 9
    Are the Camry problems identified in this forum occurring in Canadian Camrys?
    Are the Camry problems occuring in the models created in the second manufacturing run (I think it occurs in June)?
    thanks
    There hasn't been a problem with my 'Canadian' Camry SE, nor any of the ones of the people I know. That said, I have read about one 'Canadian' camry with the problem. But since, the 'Canadian' camrys come out of the same plant in the US, I can't see why it would only affect 'American' Camrys.
  • briyoung1briyoung1 Member Posts: 6
    I did notice it and I purchased my Camry about a month ago or atleast I think I noticed it, after hearing all this talk about it I think it is having a placebo effect.
    Well...my dealership is done "playing dumb" with me and finally produced a TSB on the valve body repair...I had to ask them a million questions and they said they would look into it...well after they changed my oil the service tech comes over and is like..."oh, there is a TSB for the problem you are having" HMMMM, and it was out for a month...go figure. They won't even tell the consumer about this unless you ask because it is not a cheap fix...oh well, now I was told it will take a full day to replace the VB and I get a loaner...GREAT!
    "I did notice it and I purchased my Camry about a month ago or atleast I think I noticed it, after hearing all this talk about it I think it is having a placebo effect."

LOL!!! I know what you're talking about. I've been driving in all sorts of unnatural ways trying to see if I can feel the 'hesitation' problems some are talking about. But, thankfully, no problems yet.
    I hear ya...I am just having them do the job. I guess it cant hurt....!?
    Hi lativ6, my prayers are with you. I've gone 4 days without the flare. Though the shift from 3rd to 4th seems a little rough at times I'm hoping that will work it's self out as the car breaks in.PLease keep in touch. I wasn't able to find your e-mail? Where is your work being done at?
    what kind of problem did you notice? Hesitation or RPM flare? Yours is 6 cyl, I guess.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can click on any member's name in the title of their post in order to see their profile. If that member has made his or her address public, you'll be able to see it.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    somehow, I smell a bug that might have been introduced in the transmission software by a disgruntled employee.

Otherwise how can you explain this rpm flare behaviour in light of all the unsucessful mechanical fixes?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "But since, the 'Canadian' camrys come out of the same plant in the US, I can't see why it would only affect 'American' Camrys." ((

Canucks are mellower... (They don't start wars, either.)
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Canucks are mellower... (They don't start wars, either

Ok, where is our host? If we can't recomend other cars then I dont think politics should be allowed either. :P :P :P
    )) "...They won't even tell the consumer about this unless you ask because it is not a cheap fix..." ((

Expense is irrelevant since it's not born by the dealership. This is a warranty service for which the dealership directly bills Toyota for reimbursement of part(s) and labor charges.
    email pat and be sure to tell him that I'm some sort of dispicable purveyor of an anti-American political agenda...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    No, it's just he whined and cried when I made a comment about a Chevy and I wasn't supposed to say anything bad about his beloved Cammy.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Unless it is a safety issue, there is no urgency other than to replace the tranny when they brake! I own a 2003 Infiniti G35 (as well as a 2007 Camry SE V6) and for the first year and a bit, owners were replacing their disk brake pads every 12,000 miles! Some would say that it was a small price to pay for super braking BUT who ever heard of that happening.
    Well, about 14 months into production, Infiniti offered ALL owners a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty(parts & labor) on all of our disk brake pads which is unheard of in any auto warranty.
    What I expect Toyota to do some time in the next few months, is to eventually offers us some kind of extended warranty on the drive train(for pre Sept 1/2006 production V6 cars)to help spread out the cost to replace all of these "troublesome" transmissions as they FAIL.
    Not sure how many are out there, but you can't manage replacing them ALL within a short period of time.
    Anyway, my SE V6 is still trouble free.
    "to help spread out the cost to replace all of these "troublesome" transmissions as they FAIL."

Have any of these transmissions actually 'failed'?