Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• nagoya09nagoya09 Member Posts: 9
    i am little worry since the trans problem occurs on the 4cylinder. i just bought the CE and made in Japan. so far so good. i already like the new look of the car and need to trade in for my 17mpg SUV and forgot about the rules"never buy the first year when the car just redesign" i work for the automotive industries. see many parts product under pressure of the dead line.
    the 07 camry has a new trans, and it is the early of production, many problem will occur.
    my wife have the 01 accord and there are the recall on these too. Honda extend the warranty up to 100k.
    the car manufacturing under pressure cut down the design, and test time to order bring the car to the market faster, therefore they did not have enough time to study, and lesson learn.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    There is no difference in the 4-cylinder's transmission. It is the same 5-speed unit used since the 2005 model year. Enjoy your new Camry!
    I was only responding to the part where you described driving on the exit ramp. I don't doubt there's a transmission issue in your case.
  • mesquite57mesquite57 Member Posts: 59
    corton,

Regarding the transmission problem. I have the same thing happening. If you haven't already done so I recommend the following four actions if we, experiencing this problem, are to get any kind of attention and expeditious resolution to this problem. The same goes for anyone else reading this thread that may be experiencing similar problems.

1. Ensure the dealer service department has test driven the vehicle and duplicated the probem and documented it in their computer system.

2. Notify Toyota Motor Sales USA in writing of this problem (address below).

Toyota Motor Sales, Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501

3. Notify your local Sales and Service manager in writing of this problem and that you expect it to be addressed quickly. This may encourage them to apply pressure to Toyota manufacturing to get this resolved.

4. Call the line for Toyota Customer experiences 800-331-4331 and report the problem. I received a case number for my report.

My symptoms seem to be changing as I drive more. I am having difficulty repeating the severe 1K RPM jump anymore but there is still some erratic shifting occurring and I'm not sure it's limited to 3rd to 4th.

As a 18 year aerospace systems engineer veteran, I am concerned that we are dealing with an issue of a prematurely released transmission design that has not been appropriately tested and proven it. I am not willing to wait months driving a $30,000 car that behaves erratically while Toyota USA engineering conducts the testing they should have done a year or two ago. This could take several months. And, as we already know, they thought they had the transmission problems fixed already (missing 2nd and 6th gears). Credibility is becoming an issue.

As much as I like my V6 XLE, I am considering returning it and waiting until Toyota works out its transmission problems. :(

Good luck in you experience. HOpe everything works out to your satisfaction.
  • camryfan1camryfan1 Member Posts: 17
    I agree with your post concerning the new 6-speed transmission.

I would like to know if you or others have noticed excessive negative camber on the right rear wheels of the new Camrys? I showed a Toyota Tech and he agreed.

Who is the correct person in Toyota to notify them of this concern?
    Is the right rear tire wearing unevenly already? If not, did you have it checked on an alignment machine? I'm not sure if you can really tell much visually unless there is uneven wear.

If there is a problem, I'd just handle it at the dealer level under warranty. Yours may be a one-off, but if Toyota gets sufficient warranty claims on this issue, this could lead to a voluntary recall.
  • jwa120jwa120 Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem concerning the transmission.
    I have a US built (May 2006) 2007 Camry LE v6 with less then 150 miles on the odometer.

When the car is cold, shifting from third to forth gear causes the the engine to rev 1000rpm to 2000rpm before engaging to fourth gear. I find this to be a safety hazard, the car disengages third gear and can take almost a full second to to shift into forth leaving the vehicle unpowered.

Once the vehicle has been running for aprox. 15 minutes on the high way the excess revving from third to fourth is less obvious and sometimes doesn't happen at all.

I am interested to know if anyone else with this problem has successfully had it solved? I have yet to report this problem to the dealership or Toyota since it is Sunday but intend to do so first thing Monday morning.
    The issue appears on many of the camrys. It's puzzling to me.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    When the car is cold, shifting from third to forth gear causes the the engine to rev 1000rpm to 2000rpm before engaging to fourth gear. I find this to be a safety hazard, the car disengages third gear and can take almost a full second to to shift into forth leaving the vehicle unpowered.

The symptoms you are describing is actually a characteristic of modern electronically controlled transmission. My 03 Camry does the same thing when shifting from 3rd to 4th when the engine is cold but shifts fine when the engine warms up. I have talked to the dealer about this and was told that it was a normal characteristic that has something to do with meeting emission standards and not a problem. You can take it up with your dealer but I have a hunch he is going to say the same thing. It doesn't bother me anymore.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Excellent observation. The fluids have to reach a certain temperature before it will shift normally. It actually protects the transmission.
  • cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    Mesquite57,

You've given some good advice here. Anyone who is having any type of transmission problem with their 2007 V6 Camry should follow it.

My current situation is as follows:

I have had my car examined by the dealer and I have been in contact with the Toyota customer service department and I have a case number and a case manager assigned to me. Currently my car is driveable (but I really don't trust it) and I'm awaiting the arrival of a new throttle body for the transmission (that is what their diagnosis points to as the cause of the problem).

I am easily able to duplicate the problem with my transmission, and I see RPM spikes of as much as 2000 RPM when shifting between 3rd and 4th gears (engine rpm 2500 in 3rd gear, transmission begins to shift to 4th, engine RPM spikes to as high as 4500RPM, transmission finally engages in 4th gear). I'm also seeing intermittent RPM spikes between 1st and 2nd gear. In my situation, I see the problem every time after the car is not driven for a while (30-60 minutes) and then it always happens the first time the transmission shifts into 4th gear.

The transmission overall behaves very erratically and I can never really anticipate what it is going to do next.

Like you, I am absolutely flabbergasted that Toyota let this transmission out the door with what are obviously very serious problems.

To Toyota's credit, my case manager has been in contact with me and has offered to do pretty much whatever I want to keep me happy. This approach to customer satisfaction is a breath of fresh air in the otherwise stale world of what most companies call "customer service". I am happy that I purchased a Toyota for exactly this reason and will continue to be a loyal Toyota customer as long as they continue to earn my business.

I too am wondering if a complete replacement of the car is in order, because as things sit right now I don't have much confidence in the vehicle. What are our chances of having the short term problem fixed only to have a more serious problem crop up after 10 or 20 thousand miles.

Toyota has a real issue on their hands here, and so far they seem to be doing the right thing.

I'll continue to post as my situation warrants.

Good luck with your 07 Camry.
  • cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    To those of you who have been told that RPM spikes between gears is a normal condition and should be disregarded are sadly mistaken.

My 07 Camry did not exhibit this behavior for the first 1000 miles or so and I can assure you that if it had done it during my test drive I would not have purchased the vehicle.

Having owned, driven and repaired literally hundreds of vehicles with automatic transmissions (including many Toyota's) over the years I can say with 100% certainty that automatic transmissions are not ever supposed to allow the engine rpm to spike between gears.
    corton,

By the frequency of our communications it sounds like we're both very concerned with our cars. Your transmission symptoms seem to be somewhat more severe than mine. I have also noticed that I am not seeing the 1K RPM jump as regularly and repeatably as last week.

I am anxious to hear Toyota of America chime in to this forum on this specific problem. I'm also hopeful that I will get a call from someone from Toyota USA or my local dealer. I have heard nothing since bringing it in a week ago. My letters to Toyota USA should have arrived over the weekend....maybe I'll hear something in the next day or two.

What I would like (if I keep the car) is for Toyota to provide their platinum extended warranty at no cost to me. (I purchased their gold warranty which is good for 72,000 miles). I think that given the questionable quality/reliability of the tranny on the V6 that this might be in order. I have also read in this forum somewhere where that was provided to another owner, perhaps for the 2nd gear/6th gear problems earlier.

I'm still hopeful that this may be a software, electronic transmission control system bug that they need to work out and not something mechanically wrong with the transmission. I really don't want anyone tearing my new car apart!!

Please DO notify Toyota of America of your problem so I'm not the only one in which case they may think it's an isolated issue.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you haven't already, be sure to read the 2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Gear Snap Ring Issue: TMSUSA Responds discussion where Toyota of America did indeed "chime in" with some very helpful posts. It would be best to back up and start from the beginning.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I agree that a spike is not normal. I was talking about not changing gears (reving a bit higher than it should) until it reaches a certain temperature.
    pat,

Thanks. I am familiar with, and have read all the threads associated with the Gear Snap Ring issue. Toyota USA seems to have corrected that problem.

Toyota has yet to publicly acknowledge THIS 3rd to 4th shifting transmission problem that at least three of us V6 owners are experiencing. My goal is to get some response from Toyota as to whether 1) they recognize this problem and have been able to duplicate it at the factory/design facilities and 2) Do they have a plan to address it?

This effort is to achieve my ultimate goal of getting my transmission running the way it was on day one....very smooth and predictable shifting through all six speeds.

By the way...to all interested in this thread, this problem also occurs in the "sequential shift" (manual shift +/-) between 3rd and 4th. The problem is not restricted to fully automatic "D" mode. :surprise:
  • blindmantooblindmantoo Member Posts: 139
    I'm picking up my V6SE next week - after a twelve week wait. How can I reliably try to recreate this "issue" BEFORE signing the final documents? I understand that it may not happen when the car is brand new, but in the opinion of those experiencing the problem, what should I be sure to do to see if it exists?
  • rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    I, too, am experiencing the same type of hesitation with my 07 LE with the 4-cyl PZEV engine. Vehicle now has over 1600 miles.

I am also having an issue where, when pushing slightly on the gas, the car does not accelerate (seems to go into a lean condition) until I back off on the gas a little and then the vehicle accelerates OK.
    Associated with this is a very sensitive transmission kickdown which activates with the slightest attempt to accelerate. My 03 LE 4-cyl held a gear without coming out of lock-up until I really got into the gas, which I find preferable since this engine has good torque at low rpm's and shouldn't need to thrash itself to accelerate.
    Finally, almost certainly associated with the other issues, is the fact that when in cruise control at 60 to 70mph and starting up a slight incline, the vehicle will lose a little speed and come out of lockup and then shift to 4th to regain the set speed and overshoot and shift up while slowing down and, if the hill is long enough, go through this procedure more than a few times. For a new vehicle with all of the computer control used, this is very unacceptable operation - and frustrating.

My dealer checked the car and a few days later an engineer from Toyota did a scan-tool diagnostic while I drove and he recorded the operating parameters of the vehicle. The engineer said that he was seeing lean conditions with slight throttle pressure, but he indicated that everything else seemed normal. He indicated that a new map for the engine and/or transmission control unit might be forthcoming, but couldn't give me any more advice other than to call the dealer every few weeks to check on a release.

These are the things you don't identify on a test drive, and if I had, I would have held onto my 03 until the problems were resolved. VERY, very frustrating.
    blindmantoo,

Ensure you test drive it before accepting. I have no way of knowing if my problem existed when new because the car had just arrived on the dealer's lot and was still covered with protective plastic. I never test drove it before purchasing (trusting in Toyota's reputation and having driven another V6 XLE the night before).

I'm not sure if the problem exists from mile one on the odo but the best test is to make sure no one is in front of you (no traffic) so you can accelerate smoothly (low to moderate acceleration) without having to let up on the accelerator. Pay close attention to your RPMs as it shifts from 3rd to 4th. If the RPMs jump up 500 to 1200 you have the problem. For all other gear shifts the RPMs simply drop nicely as it shifts. The car should shift very smoothly through all six gears.

I didn't notice this 3rd to 4th problem until I had around 500 miles on the car. It may have been there all along but wasn't experienced because of the way we were driving. I was on a 420 mile trip on freeways and there wasn't much acceleration through the gears for those miles. They were mostly spent in 6th although we did vary speed and gears per break-in recommendations.

Good luck... :)
    tmsusa,

I have not seen any comments from you since before this new transmission problem has cropped up.

Could you review the discussions in this thread "2007 Toyota Camry Woes" beginning with item #60 and continuing through current comments regarding the erratic shifting from 3rd to 4th gears in the V6's. I have a V6 XLE with this problem and there is at least one other person here (corton) with the same problem.

Do you have any information to share such as "is Toyota aware of this yet?" and are they working it?" Have they been able to duplicate it? When might we expect a fix?

Thank you in advance. :)
  • tmsusatmsusa Member Posts: 81
    It would not be fair for me to comment on individual case issues for which I do not have any specific technical information. I am not familiar with the issue you describe, but will be happy to look into it with our technical services group. There has been some confusion with the "intelligent transmission" capabilities of the 6-spd automatic, but I'm not sure that is the issue here.

Thanks for this feedback.
    I went to my Toyota service department on Monday morning concerning the shifting problem from 3rd to 4th. I told them that the problem was most evident when the engine and transmission are cold, they suggested I leave the car and they would diagnose the problem.

Several hours later I received a call and was told that they recreated the spiking issue of 1000-2000 rpms, and that it was ok, that it was part of it normal operation because: "the transmission must learn my driving rabbits." I asked the gentleman how long would it take for my car to learn my driving habits? He replied 1000 miles.

The answer they gave me is ridiculous and insulting. No automatic transmission should exhibit such behavior. I find the excessive reeving and the one second gap before the transmission shifts into fourth from third is a serious safety hazard, and I am disappointed in Toyota's response to the problem. I plan on writing a letter to Toyota. And plan to write a letter to the National Highway Traffic Administration (NHTSA).

The NHTSA investigates such claims and can order a recall on the vehicle. If Toyota will not admit to the problem the issue should be brought up to the NHTSA.

The 2007 Camry owners manual on page 416 states:

"If you believe that your vehicle has a defect which could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)..."

To contact the NHTSA by phone call 1-800-424-9393
    or write to:

NHTSA
    US. Department of Transportation
    Washington, DC 20590
  • neal1234neal1234 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE READ ALOT OF TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS IS THAT ONLY FOR V6 OR V4 TOO?

I AM BUYING A CAMRY LE V4 ON SATURDAY (JUNE 10) AND WANT TO KNOW IF I SHOULD WORRY?

WHAT CAN I LOOK FOR BEFORE I BUY IT? I AM CERTAIN I AM GOING TO TAKE IT FOR A TEST DRIVE AND SEE IF EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT BEFORING SIGNING PAPERS.

PLS HELP WITH ANY ADVISE. THANKS.
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    I might have a problem. Have a new V6 XLE with maybe 200 miles on it. I have noticed that when driving city streets, maybe under 30 mph and I let off on the gas, it seems to back down, sort of like when you drive in forced lower gears. I have checked to make sure I was not braking or if the parking brake was on. My normal driving is to let up on gas slowly, not in a jerky mode, but this feels like someone who is accelerating and quickly pulls foot off gas. Hmmmm??
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Several hours later I received a call and was told that they recreated the spiking issue of 1000-2000 rpms, and that it was ok, that it was part of it normal operation because: "the transmission must learn my driving rabbits." I asked the gentleman how long would it take for my car to learn my driving habits? He replied 1000 miles.

I was given the same response re: my 2005 Highlander.....15,000 miles later, same story. Considering that 90% of Camrys (and Highlanders) out there will have multiple drivers (husband and wife, kids?), how on earth will the transmission learn all their habits and know which driver is taking it out for a spin at which time? What a joke.

5+ years and they still can't work out the kinks in this "new and improved" 5 speed transmission. I'm mystified.

tmsusa - feel free to respond whether you think the techs' responses to us are legit and, if so, how a transmission could ever "learn" driver habits when there is more than one regular driver.
    4-cylinder models are okay; they use a 5-speed transmission introduced on the 2005 models. By all means, take it on a thorough test drive to make sure you are happy with the way the car performs, BEFORE you sign the paperwork.
    I don't think you have a problem. You may want to test drive another '07 Camry with the same engine and transmission to see if it behaves similarly.
  • 07camryse07camryse Member Posts: 25
    My quick advice,, do not type in all caps...
  • 07camryse07camryse Member Posts: 25
    You two guys who reported this problem,, have you driven the car at least 50-100 miles since this 3-4th shift problem started? Just wondering if you are just having early sings of the snap ring failure?
    Would you please keep us informed about the possible programming update to the ECU on your 07 4 cyl LE and also anything you hear about the excessive right rear negative camber issue that seems to be common?

Thank you.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...I asked the gentleman how long would it take for my car to learn my driving habits? He replied 1000 miles. ... The answer they gave me is ridiculous and insulting. ... No automatic transmission should exhibit such behavior..."

"Adaptive Learning", as it's known, is not unique to Toyota automatic transmissions. My '96 Accord had the feature and my '03 Sonata does, too. My Sonata took well over 1,000 miles to finally come to terms with me (maybe Korean automatic transmissions are slow learners?). Part of the extended initial "learning" process is the fact that the clutch-facing frictional materials (brake pad-like material in close proximity to metal components and actuated under hydraulic pressure when gear transitions occur) in a new transmission take time to fully mate to their metal counterparts. Until that normal wear-in occurs, the adaptive learning sequencing is merrily attempting to learn one or more driver's technique(s), but cannot until the mechanicals optimize. Frustrating? Yes. Ridiculous and insulting? No. Where two or more drivers operate the car, the transmission will never fully "learn" the driving habits of either driver - a compromise shift control "map" will be written into the engine/transmission control computer's NVRAM. Another consideration to be aware of about "adaptive learning" is its self-correcting abilities to maintain shift quality as the frictional surfaces which apply engine torque inevitably wear over the life of the transmission. In former times, periodic trips to the dealership or a transmission shop to have the "bands" adjusted to restore shift quality and ellimnate slip were necessary. Now automatic transmissions adjust themselves on the fly as needed.
  • barroncbarronc Member Posts: 44
    My 2007 Camry V6 XLE does exactly the same thing as yours. It doesn't bother me but ever since I bought the car late April it did this. I thought possibly the car had pretty stiff rear end gears. I know when I owned a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 and had 3.73 rear gears installed it felt pretty much the same way. I wouldn't worry about it unless of course your tack jumps all over the place like some Camry owners have posted here. If you leave your brake on (like it did once) your car will exhibitae a jerky motion and the brake warning like will go on on your dash.
    I went to my dealership this morning and spoke with the service manager, he stated that my car (2007 camry LE v6, made in USA 5/06) does not have the snap right issue. In response to your question I notices the shifting problem for 3rd to 4th before I had 100 miles on the vehicle

I took the service manager on a test drive after he said my vehicle was ok; the car was in 3rd gear aprox 2500 rpm and attempted to shift into 4th, the rpms spiked all the way up to 6000, at that point fearing for engine damage i took my foot off the gas and the car shifted into 4th. Only at this point the dealer admitted there was a problem with my vehicle and that they would repair it.
  • orangeman88orangeman88 Member Posts: 11
    What other vehicles are you considering? I have an '06 Impala SS, love it and have had non of the problems new Camry buyers are reporting.
    07camryse,

My problems started at around 500 miles on the car. I now have 1400 miles so I've put an additional 900 miles on.

I still experience the problem but it seems to be limited to when the car is "cold" now (not run for a while).

It has been one week since I brought it in to the dealer and they still have not called me with any information. :mad:
    jwa120 or 3rd to 4th shift engine rpms increase

Please read my note in message # 158 of this forum. You must report this to Toyota USA or none of us are going to get any attention. Toyota still thinks this is an isolated issue.

All of us experiencing this must report it to Toyota USA and get a case number so they understand that this is more than one incident :D
    tmsusa,

Thanks for responding. I would be very interested in getting some technical information from Toyota as to how the intelligent or adaptive transmission is supposed to work as there is none in the owner's manual. I was under the impression that this was adaptive over a short period of time (seconds or minutes, not thousands of miles!)

If this is a simple problem of adaptive sofware it seems like Toyota USA should let its customer community know what to expect as far as transmission behavior is concerned. Right now it appears to be an improperly functioning transmission. In any case, it should never be jumping 500 to 2000 rpms between gears...and why just 3rd to 4th?

There are now 4 of us in this forum that have been experiencing this problem (unless someone is using different user names).

I am encouraging all to contact Toyota USA to help build a case that this is not limited to just one vehicle.
    I was planning to buy a CE or LE 5 spd AT Camry to avoid the 6 speed transmission problems. I went to the yahoo auto site and read the user reviews under LE 5 spd AT and counted at least 7 complaints out of 27 reviews about its transmission/driveability!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    First off, I don't own a Camry right now and so I perhaps am not as sensitive to the transmission issues that certain posters are experiencing, since it is affecting their lives and reflects a purchase on their dollars and not mine.

That being said, I almost feel as if some of the negative response on the 5A on this and the Yahoo! site is the kind of snowball effect that issues such as the initial 6A Snap Ring can produce. The 5 speed automatic in this '07 Camry is THE EXACT SAME 5A as in the 05/06 FOUR CYLINDERS, of which I really didn't observe any abnormal response rate personally. The 5 speed in the 4s is also not the dopey 5 speed automatic as in the FORMER V6s (this powertrain, however, is still used in the Solara).

Just for what its worth...

Also, on Sunday night at ORD I begged and pleaded for Avis to switch my rental vehicle from the icky Jeep Liberty they assigned me to the Camry SE 4 5A right next to it. They did! I've had it for 150 miles now, and received it at the 6 mile mark. I'm not sure how many Avis contracted for (and I hope its not many, as resale values can be negatively affected), but the agent told me this was one of the first they received. The ride back up to Milwaukee was a breeze, and I've not noticed any odd transmission behavior.

~alpha
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Consumers Report mag has an on-line section for subscribers to give their personal experiences with new cars. The new Avalon was rated by 38 people, the 2007 Camry by 16. Other than the Avalon's navigation system, both cars received very positive reviews. None complained about a lag in shifting or poor transmission response.

For sure, that doesn't mean some people don't have real problems. It does suggest, as do continue high sales, that the problems are not widespread, at least not yet.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    As 210delray noted there is a specific reason why the headrests are configured like they are. Without this type of design ( future improvements may be available ) the passengers may, according to the IIHS, be subject to severe whiplash injuries.

In todays environment avoiding whiplash injuries is equally as important as avoiding frontal impact injuries. I don't know if you were driving before seat belts became the law but when they were first implemented, then mandated, many drivers and passengers refused to wear them due to the discomfort. This is analagous.

IMO while the new design headrests may be uncomfortable if it keeps me from breaking my neck or spending the rest of my life crippled or out of work for months or disabled for life then I'll put up with the discomfort.

From another perspective. If the automakers refuse to follow the IIHS's guidelines and testing criteria then the next headline you will see is:

[ Name of Automaker ] Fails Insurance Institute Test, [ Name of Auto ] Rated Worst in Class.
    After reading your post, I went to the one other site that I know of besides yahoo autos for user reviews. It was the MSN auto section. I read every review concerning an 07 Camry CE or LE 5 spd AT (27 reviews). I found 7 user reviews that complained about the transmission/driveability (the same ratio as the yahoo auto site).
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Those automotive forums are an unscientific and inaccurate representation of any potential problem. I wouldn't put too much credence in their accuracy. The Consumer Reports website is a far more accurate representation of any potential problem a vehicle has
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    We of course have no way of knowing what percentage of people with problems take the time to find forums like this one and post their experiences. So, the problem might be much larger. But then there's the perspective that Toyota sells 40,000+ Camrys per month.

If these problems effect more than a tiny number of people, we'll soon know about it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Camryfan, did you read my post? Why would there be a problem with the driveability of the 07 CE/LE 4cyl 5A when the exact same powertrain team was used in the 05-06 models? Doesn't that not make sense?

~alpha
    For the sake of passing on correct info, I'll clarify your comment about the 5-speed auto in the 2007 4-cyl. The tranny may be OK, but the logic in the ECU/TCU is not and the throttle-by-wire system is really poorly implemented...

There are related problems due to these systems that cause occasional poor throttle response, lag after input, and excessively sensitive downshift commands
    Yes, I will keep this forum informed of any possible ECU/TCU map updates when (and if) I get notified. Others may find out about the updates earlier, and I would hope they would share the info as soon as they can. If I haven't heard anything in a week (inspection done on 5/17), I will be calling the Service Manager to check on progress.
    I've already essentially posted this in post #201, but the 07 CE/LE 4cyl 5A is radically different in the ECU/TCU and the throttle-by-wire system. Those components are at the heart of the driveability problems being experienced and reported by a fair number of owners, considering how many will ever even read these forums and newsgroups.
  • max_99max_99 Member Posts: 28
    For me, the headrests are comfortable and I am glad the design is safe. For others who are a shorter, the headrests are uncomfortable.

Using your seatbelt analogy, the design is like a seatbelt that is too high and crosses over a childs neck instead of the lap. Later designs allowed adjustment so it didnt' cross a small person's neck and injure their neck during an accident.

Using that analogy, I question whether a headrest that pushes a small persons forward and down from the top to the point it causes discomfort is safe. I belive the headrest is supposed to just be in contact with the back of the head and push it straight forward, not push it down from the top.

In addition, it is very difficult to see around this headrest and I am 6'3". To me that is a bigger safety issue than keeping my head within 4" of the headrest.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone files a complaint with NHTSA citing this wide headrest as the cause of an accident by blocking views.

If I were Toyota, I would be proactive and jump on this problem. It wouldn't be hard to make this headrest comfortable, within 4" of someones head and still easy to see around. A new headrest is easy change.

If you meet someone who doesn't like this seat, it's a deal breaker for them. It then becomes a moot point of how safe it is. They buy another car.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Have read the es350 posts so far none reporting trans
    problems,I wonder if the lexus trans is programmed differently,it is the same trans.