Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Do you really think they'll make all these changes for 03 then release more changes for 04? I've found that Land Rover doesn't make changes too often. I think the most logical is they make a minor upgrade for 03, then wait till they intro DIII a couple of years down the road.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I just went down to watch the dog pulling competitions and the snowcross races... got down there and all the lesser 4WDs had all the good parking spots... afraid to scratch their truck, eh?? So I eyeballed a great spot, but there was a big snow berm plowed up across its opening. So I turned across the road, locked the diffs and backed toward it... figuring I could just push my may backward thru the berm. Welllllll, turns out that berm has been there for awhile! And I didn't just back thru it, I flew backwards over the TOP of it... launched myself up and back, and WHOOMP down into the deep snow, stopping beside a Toyota 4Runner that had stopped on the hardpack snow where the trailer trucks back in. My boy and I had a good laugh over it, and got out and locked the doors and walked away. The guys in the Toyota looked at me like "you're supposed to DO that with a Land Rover???" to which I just smiled as we walked off.

Got all done watching the races (and Air Force One taking off) and got back to the Disco, started her up, handed my boy the coffee "here hold this for a minute" and just blasted my way up and out of that hole, over the berm, and out onto the road again.

The guys in the 4Runner and probably going to have a long look at the hole I left when they get back.

Cheers!
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Land Rover hasn't made any major changes to the Discovery since 99, when the Series II came out. The engine switch is not a big thing to do. With the end of the current Range Rover 4.6, the engine change will let the Discovery increase performance without crowding the Range Rover. While Land Rover has traditionally had long runs between model changes, that was driven by the lack of money for development costs, and a small sales base to amortize those costs. That has changed since they became part of Ford's PAG. I know that Discovery is scheduled for a major update in 04, just don't know the details yet.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    What? On the Disco forum? You bet :)

My wife has a BMW X5 which is truly a joy to drive. The germans do a great job with engineering and this is also evident in the DIIs where you can see/feel BMW's influence.

Anyways, back to the story. My wife recently purchased a large salt water aquarium and was at the fish store getting pre-mixed water. It comes in a 5 gallon pail. The guy from the store put it in the back of her X5 and she started home. Somehow, the top dislodged and she ended up with 5 gallons of saltwater in her rear cargo area.

Her speakers stopped working and there are all sorts of little 'electric wonders' going on in the car right now. We popped the spare tire cargo top and lo and behold - there are BMW electronics packed everywhere underneath there! A day and a half later and her speakers still don't work. She is taking it to the dealership this week.

Its just interesting how a vehicle, that tries to be an SUV (or SAV), just isn't when you look at something as simple as where the electronics are placed. I know the ECU for the Rover is high up in the engine compartment area and I'd guess that most electronics are well out of harm's way in the Rovers. I've also heard from the dealer that they use harmon kardon speakers because they're waterproof (true or just a LR saleman's legend?).

At any rate, keep enjoying the rigs and happy rovering!

Wasko
  • mattferamattfera Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 98 Disco..thing is a tank. I love it. Does anyone have info on Land Rover Auto Clubs in Michigan???
  • awseymourawseymour Member Posts: 18
    Question for the group.
    I have a 2000 Disco II, all is going really well.. When you push the rear wiper button once, it swipes the window 3 times. I notice on a new loaner, it only swipes the window once, which I think is more than enough. Is this something the dealer can reprogram to make mine just swipe the window once ?
    Thanks and come on Spring !!!
    Travesty! Heresy!!!!!!
    mattfera:

Stop by LR Farmington Hills and see if David Nastwold is still there. He had some contact information about a LR group in Saline, MI. When I was still a Michigander, I was going to join, but never got around to it and moved to Washington about 9 months later. I think the group was mostly Series owners, but could be good to see if you can breathe some life into the group.

Congrats and welcome to the LR fold! There are some great trails and seasonal roads up north near Traverse City area - you can have a ton of fun up there.

Thanks - wasko
  • expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    I heard a report that Ford is going to "Escapize" the Freelander. Is this true? I know that the head of the Explorer division is looking into "Explorerizing" the Discos, but the Freelander too? I know that they "Taurused" the Jags and the repair shops in England are screaming. They got used to seeing these Jags once a month for something and now the repairs are ending with Fords' version of the Jag. I guess no more trips and fancy houses for the English mechanics.
    While some sharing of components will be inevitable, there is no way they are going to make the Freelander or Discovery rebadged Fords. The Jaguars share less than 20% of Ford components, and certainly have not been "Taurused". The S-type styling actually goes back to the 60's S-type Jaguar. You could make an argument that Ford copied Jaguar instead of vice-versa.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    You took the words right out of my mouth tincup.
    What was the last year for a 5-speed manual tranny in the Disco?
    thanks
  • gjamisongjamison Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 99 Disco (not DiscoII) for a year, 30-47K miles. I am getting to know the dealer well, due to several problems. The dealer in MN is really great (though they often need the car for two days, my only issue).
    Here's the question(s)- manufacturers warranty expires soon, and based on my experience I feel pressured to sell, or to mortgage my house to pay for repairs!
    1. Any suggestions for extended warranty that is honored by Land Rover dealers?
    2. Has anyone had a problem with interior lights going out, then back on- dealer cannot find the problem.
    3. Brakes squeak all the time, dealer says they're fine- any thoughts?
    gjamison,

A year ago or so, I was on an e-groups discussion list for Defenders and another for Discos. A lot of the folks there were having success with various aftermarket warranties, but I can't remember specifically which ones people liked. There are a lot of options and you may search the egroups archives to see what they thought.

As for the brakes, they develop a glaze quite easily. This is due to a lot of brake dust (softer pads because you can't use asbestos in pads anymore). Had a 96 Disco that did the same thing. My 2001, with 10k miles, also does this. Fixing it quite simple. Just find a dry stretch of pavement (may be a challenge in Feb in MN!), make sure nobody is behind you, then lock them up at 20mph. I would also do the same thing (although slower) in reverse when pulling out of my long driveway. Would cure the squeaking problem for a month or so. Sounds crazy but it truly works! Plus it makes your friends and neighbors wonder what the hell you're up to :)

Not sure about the lights - sounds like you need to blame that one on Lord Lucas!

Thanks - wasko
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    My brakes used to squeak all the time. The last time I replaced the pads myself and smeared brake grease on the back of the pads before installing them. Don't know if this makes a difference but 5, 000 miles later and they haven't squeaked yet.
  • pdxroverpdxrover Member Posts: 10
    Hi there! I just joined last week and am into the research phase of my options for trading in my '98 Subaru Outback Sport for a new LR Discover II SE. We currently lease and will probably just break even with the guaranteed value @ the end of the lease and the TMV. We had our search narrowed down to 3 vehicles: the Disco II, Sub Outback LLBean VDC, and Volvo Cross Country. After driving all 3 this past weekend we're sold on the Disco. Of the 3 vehicles, it's definitely the biggest bang for the buck - even if we never take it on a dirt road. I've just started going through the LR postings on pros/cons to hopefully get more info, but was wondering if anyone had any opinions, including of course, the hosts. Our Subaru has been incredible - a true utilitarian vehicle -we've renovated a 1902 Victorian home carrying lumber/ladders, etc. on the top,(within specs of course) as well as bikes, etc, but its getting too cramped for the two dogs we've now acquired. We normally wouldn't consider any SUV given how easily they tip (a friend of ours easily rolled their new XTerra and totaled it), but after driving the LR over rough terrain, we were impressed at how far it would go without tipping over. I'm rambling, so just wanted to get some opinions, comments, etc on both the vehicle as well as ways to get it financed. Thanks in advance for the info! -KE
    One thing you HAVE to do, make sure there's pad material left? If there's any sense of "grinding" at all to the squeaking sound... you may be worn down to bare nothingness.

I've replaced my pads many times, with Lockheed, Warner or stock. The stockers come with a coating on back of the pads that prevents squealing. The others use different methods... and they all seem to work. But if you're running your pads with nothing between them and the caliper pistons, they'll squeal.

I'll sometimes get a small stone up in there after offroading and it will grind/squeal lightly. Then I just take Wasko's advice: back up and gently hit the brakes a couple times, it will clear the crud and I'm fine again.

Hope this helps. -Bob
    I just did two brake jobs on my kids cars. One was a Toyota, with anti-squeal on the backs of the pads and a Nissan, without. Both operate normally and are silent as a church. I feel that cleanliness is the real secret to a good brake job. Cans of Brakefree are invaluable. Also I have found no difference between Bendix, Raybestos, or original equipment pads. $.02.
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    After an hour out in the first deep drifting snow of the winter in the DII I felt an urge to engage diff lock. I understand all the locking diff mechanism is there it just isn';t routed into the cab as Land Rover thought it was either unnecessary (following the intro of ETC)or too likely to be accidentally left engaged with horrid transmission wear. Having said that I understand 2003 DII will have the traditional locking diff mechanism reinstalled.

My question is - does anyone know if locking the diff is in some way incompatible with ETC, and if not are there any after market kits to make a tidy job of reinstalling the in cab mechanism. My old Range Rover had a really neat air activated switching mecanism which simply routed some suction in from the servo. That would be one possible way I guess ?

Whilst on - has anyone found a decent off road tyre that fits the 18" alloys ? Whilst I think the 18" alloys do look smart they make the tyre itself so low profile as to give a far harder ride which really jars on hitting a lump, or hard ice at anything over snails pace. I suspect the answer is to get an offroad set of rims but Land Rover in their wisdom has made the wheel centres different on the DII from every previous Land Rover so all the spare sets of rims and tyres in my shed dont fit !
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    I didn't know you posted on my inquiry earlier. Anyway, How do you compare the ride comfort of Trekmaster shcks vs OEM? Thanks in advance.

I tried Bilstein before but found it to be too stiff for my wife's taste. I am now using Monroe which is OK on mild surface but ride quickly deteriorates on the rough stuff.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I've found the Trekmasters to perform much better than the stock shocks. They don't fade out any way near as fast, while still delivering a smooth ride. They are smoother than the Bilstiens. You'll get a softer on road. The Bilsteins will take more punishment off-road though. The Trekmasters are still quite good off-road, very reactive. They are progressive rate shocks. The harder they're hit, they harder they work. You should be quite pleased with them on & off the road. They cut down on body lean as well.

hope this helps.
  • flipshooflipshoo Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2001 or 2002 DII/SD Model that will be my wife's everyday driver. We love the vehicle, but are concerned about 2 things:
    1. How well does the AC work in hot climates?
    2. How well do 2 child seats fit (e.g. 1 forward and 1 rear facing). We need room for 2 (in fact that is why we are looking). The rear seat room seems adequate, but not huge. We really do not want to buy an Expedition...

Any thoughts appreciated. Posts to this board have been very useful as we evaluate the vehicle.
    Thanks in advance.
    We too looked around at everything out there. Tahoes and Expeditions too big for a daily "MOMS" car. Shopping and kids' stuff is a pain with all the new compact parking spaces now at the stores. We live in Sacramento CA where the summers can be 100+ for 20 days straight or more. Our DIIs' A/C worked just fine. In fact, the passengers in the rear even complained about the cold air on one trip to LA this summers. (TOO COLD) We just set it at 72 and forget it.
    Car seats can be a pain though. There is a trade off in size. The small rear doors make manuvering car seats and babies a little difficult, but this is what we found with almost all the mid-sized SUVs. Luckily we also have a mini-van so the Rover is not the car of choice if shopping with small kids is on tap. As soon as they are self-sufficient it is the car of choice.
    My wife this winter drove the kids to the mall in hurricane-like winds and rain (why, I couldn't figure out) and commented about how safe she and the kids felt. This car is a "hoss." Flat cornering, no sway even under 40+ winds, visibility plus and able to ford flooded mall parking lots where other vans and small SUVs dare not venture. Plus the power!!! and 16+ mpg. We have even been running regular unleaded and have not noticed any power, mileage drops, or pinging under load. She can't be more pleased. Hope this helps in your decision. Read the other boards about Fords, Chevys, Jeeps and Dodges and I am sure that LR will be your choice.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Do you have the dual A/C or the standard A/C?
    Since the length of the vehicle was so compact I opted for the standard A/C. I theater seating also allows the rear passengers to get unobstructed airflow, which is nice.
    There has been a little discussion by myself here and on Discoweb about getting a CD changer installed in a 1999-2002 DiscoII SD. Previously, myself and another DiscoII owner bought the Blitzsafe interface cable and the Alpine deck for the DII only to find out that the installers, other than the dealer, couldn't get the head unit out. The keys are a dealer only item and since there is so few installs the outside shops don't want to spring for the $25.00. This has finally changed. Keys are now fabricated out of thin strips of sheetmetal and the trick to removing the head unit was revealed. 40 minutes later the cable is plugged in, routed and the CD changer is functioning like a factory one. (even with the steering wheel controls). COST? Less than $400.00 out the door if you hit the sales. The Alpine changer is $190.00-$249.00, Blitzsafe interface $60.00-$80.00 and installation $60.00. What a deal since the dealer wants over $700.00 just for the changer and the cheapest on the web is $540.00. Roverconnections and Atlantic British are even higher. Good news for us cheaper, do-it-your-self LR owners. Who said that ownership LR costs are high?
    What's the trick for getting the head unit out?? Fill in the blanks! We've all got sheetmetal, we just need the trick.

I'll trade it for the "trick" to getting the clock out in 15 seconds w/o disassembling the lower dash...
    Try www.expeditonexchange.com/cdchangerinstall/. This site has good pictures for the do-it-u-selfer on brakes, lockers, changers etc.
  • jackickjackick Member Posts: 12
    Hey All-

Well, after 7 months, we are still LOVING our 2000 DII- a great vehicle, after 15,000 miles and a few minor adjustments. Land Rover Eden Prairie, MN is the best! And wouldn't you know, we are moving north of the Twin Cities 50 miles where the snow blows even harder and the township roads are treacherous. We will be happy and warm in our weinermobile while traversing the road home! Wouldn't want to be in a mini-suv on those roads! And did I mention the versatility? This thing is as at home at the opera than it is in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area up north. LOVE IT! Best wishes to all present and future Disco drivers!
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    I heard that the 2004 model will be be redesigned with a unitized body. Tell me it "ain't so" tincup.

Reporting just over 7K on my 2001 SE with only a minor hydraulic leak in the ACE system. Overall impression so far: Damn TANK it is. Gotta love these things. Really looking forward to summer trip for some real offroading.
  • kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    Wasko-
    How's the truck(s)?
    On a previous message, you mentioned a guy at LR Farm Hills by the name of David Nostwald. Is he in service, sales, a tech? I'm asking because I too am looking to be more involved with a LR club here in MI, but that name isn't ringing a bell. The dealership has had a lot of trouble with management of staff with the BMW side of the business and have pulled LR people to help out. Most of the techs have remained true to Rover, but the service dept has been a different story which has made it difficult to establish a raport with anyone. Was there a specific tech you dealt with and trusted? Do you recall the name of the club in Saline?

I just had the 75k maintenance done on my truck and she's doing great. I had some extra things replaced and checked because we're planning a trip west this summer and I want her good to go. I'll be pulling a 4800 lb travel trailer and have been concerned about burning up the trans once I get into the rockies going up and down those hills. The tongue weight is only 495 lbs. and the LR tech assured me that Lizzie could pull her 5500 pound weight limit and then some, but I'm still not sure. The installation of an additional trans cooler has even been suggested and is fairly common to people pulling RV's, but I wanted to see if you or anyone else had any recommendations.

I am familiar with the stories of offroading in Ouray CO, but was wondering if there were any other hotspots people could suggest or stories that you Wasko, or others could share. We'll be in Montana and Wyoming as well as Colorado. Am I going to be in trouble if I don't have a winch?

To the person inquiring about LR clubs in Michigan on one of the previous pages, I was curious to see if you've had any dealings with LR dealers in MI for service. I can give you my own history and that is that Wasko is right on by suggesting the Farmington Hills dealer. They are supportive, friendly and knowledgeable. A gentleman by the name of Mike Hood in service is great and the team of techs that work with him are helpful, full of suggestions, and have always steered me right. My favorite tech is named Matt. He's been there longer than a lot of the others. He's saved me LOTS of money.

Glad to see everyone's doing great.

Indeed, happy rovering!!!!

Kim

I've been told to expect the next version of the Disco to be a lot like the new Range Rover in looks and design with similar features. My source also said to expect the price tag to reflect these changes.
    It's great to hear from you! If you feel the urge to drive just a wee smidgen further, head north once you get to Colorado/Wyoming. I don't think you'll have much need for that transmission cooler here.

If you're that far from home, I wouldn't recommend getting into wheeling where you'd need a winch. That's a big investment you've got under your feet, and pulling along behind. Take nice easy trails that you *could* do in a 2WD given enough time, and you won't break parts. Your trip will be a lot nicer in the end.

Have a great drive! -Bob
    Kim:

David Nastwold was my salesperson and he was always a pretty straight guy. He was the one that had the information on the club in Saline. You know, just a couple of months ago I was cleaning out my file cabinet and I threw away the Saline guy's card. DOH!

David Ritchie was also the service manager and was a pretty good person to deal with as well.

Best of luck on your trip - you should be in good shape pulling 4900 lbs! Look forward to a detailed recap once you're back :)

Cheers, wasko
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    Charles Wells has written two books about the trails in Colorado and a book about Utah. These books are well written and do a good job of ranking the trails by difficulty. I am sure you can get them from Amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com. Another source is two clubs in the area will be glad to let you go on a trail ride with them. Check out Roverriders.org and Solihullsociety.org.
  • mattferamattfera Member Posts: 5
    KIM-

Here's some info on LR club in MI. Rover Owners Association of Michigan
    5260 Textile Rd.
    Saline, Mi. U.S.A. 48176
    (734) 429-3485
    russell@aaps.k12.mi.us

His name is John Russell. He's a great guy. Also a man by the name of Al Cooper at LR farmington hills is awesome. He'll help you with anything. He's a tech and knowlegable beyond belief.

hope this helps

matt fera
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Here is what I found locally available in Houston Texas. The Blitzsafe adapter is available at Circuit City, price $120. The Alpine CD changer is on sale this week for $199. Installation is dependent on location, but ranges from $70-$90. That's a lot cheaper than going original LR, but still not that cheap. The best reason to do this is that the steering wheel controls will work with the Alpine changer so it will work like stock. I called Blitzsafe and they are making an adapter where you can plug in a portable MP3 player so that the head unit will think its a CD changer, of course your steering wheel controls won't work but my Apple iPod fits in the new cupholders just fine. So far I'm using an iRock FM transmitter with my iPod in my CD less Disco. I have an SD and frankly the sound system sucks. Any upgrade recommendations?
    The Alpine CHMS620 for the LR is $184.99 on line, but $199.00 at Circuit City isn't bad. A guy at work just had his LR done by Circuit City here in Sacto. and even though he paid list for the changer, the install was $60.00 and the Blitzsafe was $80.00.($60.00 at another audio shop in town) The install took 45 minutes and he says his LR now rocks. Maybe you are younger than us, but at 50years+ I can't tell good sound from bad, except if it whistles, pops or crackels. My brother-in-law has a SE with the extra amp, 12 speakers and factory CD changer and it rocks. The SDs', as I have found out, have a mid-grade Alpine head unit, so maybe that is your complaint. I wish I could find a adapter for my head unit that would allow me to use my portable CD, but the LR unit has a tape sensor and the head unit just keeps spitting out the adapter. I will probably bite the bullet and spend the $350.00+ for the install, but that beats the factory $540.00-$700.00 changer price, plus data cable and install.(the junk yard even wanted $300.00 for one) Check out the web address at post 1679 and see how easy the install really is.
    Wasko-- Dave Ritchie was a good guy, but has been gone from the dealer just about a year now. He has been replaced by Mike Hood who handles Dave's old team of techs and is a good person to deal with as well if you left any Rover owners here in the area. What have you been up to?

Nanuq--Good to hear from you too. What kind of mischief have you been up to? You're more than a "smidgen" further than Wyoming if I remember correctly. We would love to make it to Alaska eventually. What a road trip. If we ever get that way we'll look you up. Any new Rover purchases?

Matt Fera--Do you live in Livonia? How do you like your 98 so far?

Denver8--Thanks for the tips on the trail books. Appreciate it.

I've been told the Defender might be in production in the US after the new Disco model in 04. Does anyone know more about this? If we were to purchase a used 94 Defender what kinds of 'quirks' could we expect? Probably a pipe dream right now, but if we are going to buy one, we figure we better start educating ourselves now.

Thanks again to all.

Kim
    Mischief?! Well!! My reputation preceeds me, eh? (wink)

Been busy as usual. I tore the roof racks clear off the top of my Disco... it was ugly. Don't ask how! argghhh. Got them fixed just now. I also changed the oil/filter today, the diffs and transfer case, broke my antenna off (argh) and just been having the BEST time romping! Oh and I replaced the fuel pump last week... now she's running like a scalded cat again... which may explain all the busted stuff! *wink*

Having way too much fun here in Alaska! Take care, let us know how the prep for the trip goes! What are you bringing along the lines of emergency/first aid gear for the Rover? Never hurts to be overprepared...

Una inuq aaniqtuq! From that big Nuulaqmi of the North.
    Isn't that for pessimists? What- I can't just wing it in my always faithful, never quirky Rover? Yeah, right!!!!

We have started making a list of items that might compile a 'kit' if you will. Any suggestions?

What did you do to the roof that you had to take the racks off? Sounds like you have been busy.

Kim
    Kim:

Too bad on David Ritchie at LRFH. I figured he was short though because when the dealership started doing joint LR and BMW stuff, he was noticeably discouraged by the direction of management there. Good to hear that his shoes were filled properly though - a good service manager at your LR shop is essential!

As far as Defenders, I have a 97 and the VIN sheet on it was shorter than any rover I've ever seen or owned. I've had it a year now and it has been absolutely flawless except for a small oil leak (they replaced the seal) and a leaky sunroof (I haven't fixed this yet). The only thing I dislike about it is the payment :) b/c of that, I have it for sale on www.lrx.com but know I'll regret it the moment it sells. If it does sell, I'll replace it with a totally restored SIIA 109 or SIII 109 (and no pmt!). Even thinking about a LR Dormobile - would be a lot of fun to have one of those...

I've also heard the 2004 rumor on Defenders. I've got friends at Ford that keep an eye out for me :) Supposedly, because of the great revenue LR received from the Freelander, they're moving toward a trend of shipping to all continents simultaneously. Talk was that they could have captured a huge portion of the US market with the Freelander if they'd 'sim-shipped.' We're also seeing closer WW availability from the DII, and the new Range Rover. So moving forward, I think we'll see the newly designed Defenders much sooner than in the past.

Speaking of Freelanders, my wife and I went to the LR dealership in January to look at one. We were checking it out and I asked her, "what do you think?". She lowered her head, shook it, and cursed! She KNEW that if she had waited for the Freelander that she would have loved it AND it would have been $15K less than the BMW X5 she bought in the fall. I had to chuckle :)

Thanks, wasko
  • discoloverdiscolover Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Just bought 2001 Disco II. Must say I really like the vehicle so far. Had Pathfinder, and Jeep before that. Has anyone ever done the Land Rover schools? In Vermont? Thanks.
  • discoloverdiscolover Member Posts: 2
    What exactly is Sport mode? When should it be used? How do you change into low mode and when should it be used? Thanks for any help, bought Vechicle from non Land Rover dealer, need help thanks.
    The sport mode mainly just allows the transmission to remain in its' respective gear a little longer, thus giving you a little power boost. It is mainly the mode that I find my LR in when my kids drive it. Third gear and sport mode=ZOOM!! It also makes me fill up a little sooner. I consistantly get 16mpg. Low mode is fairly simple. LR even has a diagram right next to the lever on how to use it. The only time I use it is when we go up to the train sheds at Donner Lake. On the way down the hill I drop into low range and hit the HDC, take my foot off the gas and brake and cruise down the mountain. Way Cool!
    It's used when you need lots of pull but don't want to go fast. Usually it's used when you're in really tricky driving offroad.

In my DI, I just get rolling 2 or 3mph forward or reverse, put the transmission in neutral, then gently but firmly slide the transfer case selector from HI to LO range. It will klunk going thru transfer case neutral, then klunk again going into LO range. Then select DRIVE or REVERSE in the transmission (gently, you're still rolling, right?) and you're off.

Expert's right... it's also a good way to get down long hills. You can select LO range and then use D or 3 to let yourself down long slow descents and save your brakes. Watch the tach so you don't overrev.

Note, when switching the transfer case make sure you're fully in gear before you gas it. If you select DRIVE and nothing happens then you're in transfer case neutral. Let the revs come back down to idle, select transmission neutral, and then try to nudge it back into LO or HI range. It will be tricky since you're not rolling. You may need some pushing from a friend to get her rocking so she'll drop into gear.

Enjoy your truck! Let us know how she treats you!

-Bob
    All Ex-camel Trophy drivers. Any time you are off-roading, (other than regular gravel roads) you should be in low range, using "1" any time the nose of the vehicle is pointing downhill (for maximum engine braking), all other times you should be in "3". D is not to be used.
  • pdxroverpdxrover Member Posts: 10
    Perhaps you've noticed, but Edmunds has recently amended their website to show the consumer ratings owners have given their vehicles. As a person shopping/comparing the LR Disco II to other SUVs or even Subarus, I'm looking at these things. While I'm sold on the LR Disco II, others may see what's currently posted on the "cover page", if you will, for the Disco on Edmunds' site and quickly run away - There are currently 2 entries for ratings, and neither one speaks highly of the LR Disco. So, here's a call to all of you posting in Townhall to go to the New/Used Car Pricing pages and rate the vehicles there as well. From reading this discussion group, it sounds as though this vehicle should have higher ratings than the 3.0 it currently has. Just an FYI!
    Money talks with Edmunds.com. It is the same for Consumer Reports. They go ga ga over Chevy, Ford , Toyota and Honda and "dis" all the others. When I was buying my 2000 LR I went to Edmunds ownership site. Even though they rate it only 3 stars and were raving about the Tahoe, check out the reliability facts. The 2000 DiscoII has 0 recalls and 0 TSBs on it since it debuted. The 2000 Tahoe has 2 recalls and 31 TSBs. I think I will live with my "quirks" instead of forever going to the dealer for recalls and TSB fixes.