Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• pdxroverpdxrover Member Posts: 10
    Expert1: Not familiar with the acronym TSB - can you enlighten? Thanks.

Where are the hosts of this townhall group and/or their comments on my posting - hmmm? Since we haven't 'seen' anything from them, your comments probably ring true. Anyone else?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
    These are problems noted that do not happen often enough or involve safety items to be a recall. Most are "Fix on fail", although some are "Fix next time in for service". Some manufacturers (Land Rover included)call them TIB's. Some times they are just informational, to help dignose problems. I find looking at recalls and TSB's to predict quality or reliability misleading, as these are generally proactive steps to increase customer satisfaction. It's the problems not known or addressed which are of bigger concern.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I went and commented on my Rover but search as I may, I cannot find where it went! Do you have a link?

TSB - Technical Service Bulletin. Here's the list for the '96 Disco (I have this list memorized):

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/68/96680604.html

You'll notice there is one safety recall and one general recall; the rest are just tips discovered by other service centers, with much duplication.

To their credit, my service department here went thru that list and replaced a TON of things each time my truck was in for warranty work; they prevented untold numbers of problems that way.

Regards, -Bob

To answer your first question:

I essentially started a "New Vehicle" search, clicking on LR's, then the DiscoII's - but didn't see any ratings for the 2002's, so then went to the 2001's - here is the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/landrover/discoveryseriesii/index.html?id=lin0300

You'll see the "Consumer Rating" off to the right side. Click on that and there is where your ratings should appear.

I'll keep looking for yours, since I know you'll provide the real truth on these things. From reading previous posts with your trademark, you've taken yours thru the ringer! Thanks for all the enlightenment on these fine SUV's - although, having read the "I Don't Want an SUV - Why do U" discussion group, LR's should be in a classification all their own and not be compared to other, inferior SUV's.

To you and Tincup - thanks for the clarification.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "We are and always have been independent: none of the companies promoted or whose products are reviewed on our Web site own any interest in Edmunds.com or have any say in how or what we publish."

More here:

What Makes Edmunds.com Different?

and here:

Company Profile and History

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Ya gotta watch out for Steve, he's another Alaskan just like me. *wink*
    Steve, could it be true?

FYI - I'm a former Alaskan, so can relate to all that you, Nanuq describe in your tales of adventure.

Watch out - we're everywhere.
    "You can take the boy out of Alaska,
    but you can't take Alaska out of the boy."

PDX, you know what it's like here... the Rover is far and away the best vehicle I've ever driven for arctic / winter conditions. Bar none.

Welllllllllll... except for the Rolligons on the pack ice up at Milne Point. ;-)
    I'm on an Alaskan sabbatical after 20 years in Anchorage. (I'm studing green grass in February - most unusual!).

Best vehicle Nanuq, or best motorized vehicle?

Steve
    Host
    Ahhhhhhhhh, nice catch.

I'd have to say it's the best motorized vehicle. The best vehicles for winter conditions are my Atomic ARCs on the north face of Alyeska (back before they opened it and wussified it).

Rule of Thumb: if the skis aren't literally howling, if you can breath and your eyes aren't watering, you're not going fast enough.
    Now, I cannot profess to have been a long-time resident of AK as Steve states, but I feel fortunate to have seen a great deal of the state (in most of its various facets) in the 4 short years I lived there and loved every second of it. And, was a ski instructor at Alyeska during all those four years. Remember the "employee-only" days on north face B4 it was opened to the public. Nothing like fresh powder over there. But, alas, I have the memories.
    I'm not even going to mention my broken leg suffered on the steeps at Hilltop....

Steve
    Host
    ...and I won't mention the old pair of skis I broke jumping at Russian Jack... the tips laid down and just never came up again.......
    Oooh, sounds like some bad memories are beginning to surface. Let's end this one B4 it gets embarassing for anyone. Land Rovers, Discos - yeah, yeah - that's what we're here to discuss!
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    What kind of gas mileage are people getting on their Disc II's? Hwy/City/All Around?
  • danslrdiidanslrdii Member Posts: 2
    Does any know how to change out a stock head lamp with a replacement? Mine was busted the other day by a semi that kicked up a rock and I have ordered the part from atlantic british and was needing information on how to replace it.
  • rp_fencerrp_fencer Member Posts: 13
    Got a safety recall notice from Land Rover NA for my 2000 Disco II

Re: Throttle Cable Sticking
    Inappropriate ABS Activation.
  • expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    I am getting around 16mph in my 2000 Disco II. This is a average and mainly with my wife driving. When my kids drive I think it might drop to 14mph, but I am happy so far. My brother-in-laws' 6cyl. Exploder gets 15mph and doesn't have any of the capabilities as the Rover. Gas mileage doesn't mean a thing to me since the depreciation of all cars is so fast that the amount you are spending on gas is insignificant. Look at a Tahoe with all the features of the Disco., after a year your trade-in value is about $12,000 less. Given, it sits there for awhile, but that is a drastic drop. Talking to all dealers they will disagree while you are buying the thing, but try to give it back a year later and see what they say. The thing that I have found out about LR is that once they are fixed they stay fixed and most owners stay in for the long haul. I hope this is true for my rig. My wife loves it, they are easy to maintain, get good gas mileage compared to other V-8 powered SUVs and are the safest things on the road when the weather gets scary.
  • everdieverdi Member Posts: 10
    i have a 2001 DII w/ace. My milage is always at 12 mpg. I have tried w/ "sport" mode on and off and still the same. I drive a 50/50 mix of highway and city. Sometimes, when i'm very lucky I'll hit 13mpg. My rig takes about 21 gallons to fill and i always have to fill up after 260 miles. Expert1 how do you get 16 mpg? that would be 336 miles to the tank. (good math eh?). I try to keep the tire pressure at 37 psi in the front and back. Their figures of 27 and 45 psi are ridiculous.
    I knew this going in. I didn't buy this truck for mpg. I bought it because it has a rep for ruggedness and good looks that are unmatched. After 5000 miles it is exactly that rugged and great looking. I do have two questions:
    1) Can i put any other size tire on this car other than the 255-55-18 ?
    2) Does anyone have any experience with other 18" tires other than the stock Goodyears?
    I keep setting my odometer after every fillup and I always get 320+ with every fillup. My trips to LA and San Diego are always 15-16mpg. My tires are kept at 40#+ both front and rear. Damn the recommendations. The cornering, wear and load capacity is great. Ride might suffer, but this is a 4X4, not a luxury sedan and I like it stiff. Handling hasn't been a problem, even in a emergency stop. I can't answer your mpg question. Maybe I am light footed, but over the Grapevine it screams. I don't use the sport mode and I always have it in D. I have over 14K now and even my brakes are looking as if I have 75% left. I even rotate my tires, which is a LR NO! NO! All the complaints about the Discovery, bad mileage, expensive maintenance and eating brakes haven't reared their ugly head. The first year of ownership has been great. I also looked into replacement tires for my rig. It seems that only Goodyear and Michelin make them, but I can't see why you couldn't put a taller tire on your car. Rim size is all that matters. Go with a 70 or 75 series tire. The 55s are probably gearing you too low and your rpms are up and your mileage WILL suffer. Taller tires or taller gears will give you a mpg boost. You probably won't even notice the performance loss.
    Land Rover only approves the Goodyear Wranglers and Michelin XPC Tires that come with the vehicles. These have been tested extensively with safety in mind. Changing sizes can affect the on road handling of these vehicles. You have to be particularly careful with ACE equipped vehicles, clearance and too much grip can be issues with non-approved tires. The 18" Goodyear Wrangler is the only tire approved on ACE equipped vehicles.
    LR also says don't rotate and and soft in the front and hard in the back. I can't believe that this rig is such a odd duck that only certain tires and manufactuers are only approved. Sometimes the engineers get a little narrow minded with their recommendations. Are these the same enginners that recommended deflating the tires, and use of Firestones, on the Explorers to improve the ride and handling? I think the no rotate statement is totally bogas. Doesn't LR think that when we rotate we can take out the pressure in the back tires and increase the pressure in the fronts to accomplish this? This seems like another manufactuer conspirisy. Does LR have stock in Goodyear and Michelin? Ford seemed pretty involved in Firestones problems.
    These recommendations are from Land Rover Engineers, and date to when BMW was the owner, not Ford. As far as a conspiracy, that's what is really bogus. In the US market, with the constant threat of lawsuits, one has to always consider the possibility of being held responsible for an owners or outside repair shops ignorance. This is a country where warnings are required to not use your hair drier in the shower. That warning would not appear if companies had not been sued. You cannot assume that people will follow common sense.
  • kflanarykflanary Member Posts: 15
    Do most of you guys recommend ACE or not? I will not do much off roading. I will mainly be on roads in the city with a good deal of straight highway driving. We will also do a fair number of mountain trips that would have pretty curvey roads. Cannot find an ACE to drive so looking for advice.

Thanks
    It sounds like, from LR, that these two are quite alike. I don't consider myself ignorant, but I can't swallow some of LR enginners' recommendations. I guess that is why it takes so long for a foreign product to make it to the US. (Freelander for instance) I still will stick with my 35+ years of car knowledge, (common sense and mechanical) and still rotate my tires, change my oil at 3000K instead of 7500K and consider all tire brands (Michelins still rock). I was very disappointed when my rig came with Goodyear Wranglers as equipped. From most of the posts in Edmunds' Town Halls "they suck." But after all "they are what the LR engineers recommend." I think it was just to save a buck and increase profits. Though, that is what the Ford engineers are probably doing right now at LR. We will probably see Firestones as standard equipment on the new Discoverys' next, because they are "recommended."
    You are certainly free to do what you want. It is your vehicle, but as long as you realize that any problems from changes you make are your responsibility I don't think anyone will have a problem with that. I think you might look at it differently if you were held legally liable for the advice you are giving others on this board. As a manufacturer you cannot safely assume that the people who buy your product are as knowledgable as you profess to be. I do find your posts on the future of Land Rover under Ford to be ludicrous at best, and I have seen no evidence to think otherwise.
    I too recieved the recall notice in the mail for the ABS ECU and the throttle cable inspection. Since my rig was in for other warranty repair last month (new master cylinder, transmission breather mod and thermostat housing inspect) would these recall items be addressed at that point? I was wondering when LR knew of these problems and if it just took this long to notify everyone. I noticed it was fixed on the 2002.
    Sorry Tincup for my tirade, but I am a old school mechanic and it is hard to swallow all this new computer design ride, handling, computer controlled engine, tranny etc. stuff. I still think that they are just trying to re-invent the wheel every day and I just want to go from point A to point B in comfort, safely.
    No problem, but while you may have problems with the new technology just remember it is allowing safer, more reliable vehicles to be built. I put todays vehicles against any of the past for performance, reliability, comfort, handling and fuel economy. I'm not a youngster either, this June I celebrate a half century of life. You seem to have managed to accept computers and the internet ok ;)
    I can operate a computer no sweat, but when the check engine light came on in my Rover because my wife didn't screw the gas cap down tight enough, Give Me A Break!!
    Blame the Government for that one, OBD2 emission requirements require any air leaks from the fuel system trip the CEL. These are on all vehicles in the US, and is a problem with all of them. Has to do with reduction of evaporated hydrocarbons. Don't confuse innovation with mandated regulatory requirements.
    I bought a 2001 Ace DII in September. My other car is a Porsche 968 cab. I would recommend that anyone seriously interested in a better handling and performing truck give it some thought. My uncle also owns a 2001 SE7 (NO ACE)
    Obviously they are the same trucks. They look the same, smell the same, and engines are the same. Where they are completely different is on the road performance. The Ace truck handles much flatter and takes corners like a european sedan. It as close to my porsche as many other cars in respect to handling. The Non-ace truck handles very well, but does have more body lean. Also, going 70 miles an hour on the Non-ACE truck requires constant driver correction on the stearing wheel. The ACE truck tracks straighter than an arrow. There are 2 downsides to the ACE truck: 1) the price. $3000 more than the non. Again, for my money it was worth every penny and then some. 2) More noise in the interior. Everyone talks about the extra whirring and groaning noises from the ACE truck but to honest with you i don't think it's that much different. Even my uncles truck has that NICE purring sound. I think you get used to it real fast. So if you want an excellent all around truck and don't care all that much about cornering then do without. But if you want an awesome truck that handles like a BMW to boot then the ACE is your ticket.

Now, if only i can stop my passenger seat from vibrating, and my steering column from squeaking.

good luck to all
    Ah, Ha, I have finally solved your gas mileage problem. You are driving this heavy, 4X4 like a BMW X5. Screaming through the corners like a European sedan. What did you buy this thing for? My rig, non-ACE, is also flat through the corners, but I don't try to keep up with every Bimmer on the road. This thing just cruises down the road and through the mountains with safe,powerful, controlled ease. The last whiteout that I was in over Donner Lake Summit, I never felt so safe. All the other 4X4s were getting out of my way. Sitting up high, permenant 4X4, "OH, What a Feeling." For you it seems to be "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom."
    I bought a 2001 Ace DII in September. My other car is a Porsche 968 cab. I would recommend that anyone seriously interested in a better handling and performing truck give it some thought. My uncle also owns a 2001 SE7 (NO ACE)
    Obviously they are the same trucks. They look the same, smell the same, and engines are the same. Where they are completely different is on the road performance. The Ace truck handles much flatter and takes corners like a european sedan. It as close to my porsche as many other cars in respect to handling. The Non-ace truck handles very well, but does have more body lean. Also, going 70 miles an hour on the Non-ACE truck requires constant driver correction on the stearing wheel. The ACE truck tracks straighter than an arrow. There are 2 downsides to the ACE truck: 1) the price. $3000 more than the non. Again, for my money it was worth every penny and then some. 2) More noise in the interior. Everyone talks about the extra whirring and groaning noises from the ACE truck but to honest with you i don't think it's that much different. Even my uncles truck has that NICE purring sound. I think you get used to it real fast. So if you want an excellent all around truck and don't care all that much about cornering then do without. But if you want an awesome truck that handles like a BMW to boot then the ACE is your ticket.

Now, if only i can stop my passenger seat from vibrating, and my steering column from squeaking.

good luck to all
  • kflanarykflanary Member Posts: 15
    Do you think ACE on a vehicle gets worse mileage than the non-ACE vehicles?
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Are you smoking crack? ACE is as close to a Porsche as many cars? We love our Discos but let's be realistic.
    Well, I did park my Disco next to a Porsche once... sorta loomed over the poor guy.

;)
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    I was looking at the media.ford.com site and they said they would be showing the all new 2003 land rover discovery at the new york auto show
    While there are some important changes to the 2003 Discovery, it is not all new. It is the same basic chassis and body as the 2002 and earlier models. There are changes to the Engine, trans, and Tbox (diff lock is back), but the rest of the running gear is unchanged.
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    i read they had a 30 day money back policy if one was not happy with their disco..how did this play out? what were the details..did you pay for every mile if you turned it back in, etc?

regards,

eric
    Actually mary jane
    You must not have an ACE rover.
    Otherwise, you would see that it does handle that well. How i know this is that I push my Porsche to the limit on a off-ramp near my house and the fastest i can go is around 50mph. My disco can do it at 45-46 mph. Don't get me wrong, i don't fly around corners thinking i'm in a sports car, but it was worth the test.
    The 2003 Disco will get the 4.6 Engine from the Range Rover?
    Yes, the 2003 Discovery will get the 4.6, but it will be tuned different than in the Range Rover, making slightly less HP. It doesn't get the headers that were in the Range Rover due to clearance issues between the engine and frame.
  • dfwupsguydfwupsguy Member Posts: 1
    The other day I went to Freelanderowners.com which led me to www.thelandroverchronicle.com They had a spy photograph of the 2003 Disco II in their news section. I just went there a minute ago and the site was having problems so keep checking. I was waiting on the 2002 HSE, but because of the frame factory problems, it was nixed. Now I'm waiting for the 2003 HSE. I was wondering if anyone else has had a crack at the navigation system on the Freeander or the Disco II. My local dealer has about 3 FL HSEs in stock, and just got a couple of factory equipped Disco SEs with the NAV in but I have not test driven any of those yet. I have heard everything from its "mindboggling" to "interesting" to use. I'm used to the map easy use of the Acura unit and I'm a little anxious about the Becker unit in the LRs. Also my dealer just got a couple of the Disco Westminster Special Editions in. Nav, black leather, grey wood trim, and different wheels make it look pretty sharp. Its about a $2200 extra to the standard SE.
  • awseymourawseymour Member Posts: 18
    Hi folks,
    I saw a rear cargo carrier that attaches to the hitch on a Discovery the other day. I looked at Roverparts and theirs says it does not fit the Discovery. Anyone know a good brand and who carries them? This is the rectangle "porch" looking thing hanging out the trailer hitch.
    Need one big enough for a snowblower or such.
    Thanks
    Tincup:

Thanks for the response on the 2003 Disco 4.6. So no headers means less HP and tourque? Same Bosche engine management system? About same gas milage as 4.0? Is it worth for me to wait for the 2003?

Thanks
    Got any fresh snow to play in lately?

Steve
    Host
    The 4.6 makes less HP than it does in the RR, but it is still an increase over the 4.0. It is supposed to get 0-60 times to under 10 seconds. I imagine mileage will stay close to the same. There is at least one thing I cannot tell you yet that would have me waiting for the 2003 D2.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    We also received the recall notice on our 2002 Discovery. Does anyone know if this needs immediate attention or whether I can wait until my first oil change?

Thanks,
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    i was looking at a Pathfinder purchase in Canada as it is very common and legal for people who live close to the border..i live in NYC so i am 8 hrs from toronto by car...very cheap and warranty in honored in usa by nissan NAmerica..has anyone heard of someone buying in canada and driving back a disco II to the states..any warranty problems or other problems i might run into..its significantly cheaper with the currency exchange in Canada..any thoughts please..

ps..i am not going to play golf with my dealers in the usa, so i am not concerned about them smiling at me or giving me ice cream at the dealership..i just want to make sure that they will work on my car if need be..

best regards,

eric