Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    believe you said your car is a 2007, yes? If so (and if it's an automatic), and if you've noticed any hesitation at intersections (i.e. acceleration is 'jumpy' after having slowed down),

The hesitation TSB 0068-08 is for both manual and automatic transmission I-4 engines, and not just 2007s - could be 2008 also.
  • patty19patty19 Member Posts: 11
    Yes, I have 2007 Camry XLE V6,. I was just talking to the rental car people and they said that there are tons of 2006 & 7 Camry and Avalons that have the oil problem in them. This is the reason for the back order.
  • sully13sully13 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Canada, and I recently took my 2005 Avalon in for an oil change. While performing the oil change, the staff at the dealership identified and advised me of a leak in the VVT oil line. They also advised that the line could burst, draining the engine of oil and possibly causing engine damage. I was advised that I should not drive the vehicle, and left it at the dealership awaiting replacement parts and repairs.
    Several days later, I'm still leaving for a timeline to obtain the parts and repairs. The vehicle has just under 32,000 km on it.
    This may be a bigger issue than just myself, as it appears that Toyota issued a Tech Tip TVI2310 in September of 2008 identifying the condition and recommending replacement of the oil line. According to the Toyota document, Toyota models affected can include the 2005 to 2009 Avalon, 2007 to 2009 Camry V6, 2007 to 2009 Sienna, 2008 to 2009 Highlander, and the 2006 to 2009 RAV4.
    I cannot understand why Toyota has not issued a recall, nor why they haven't ramped up production of the replacement part (unless this a VERY widespread problem!). It would appear that they don't want to admit to a serious problem, to protect their (past) quality reputation, but they are seriously risking brand reputation, and possible legal issues due to the inconvenience (class action, anyone?).

I have a scan of the Toyota Tech Tip........is it possible to post it to this forum, so that others can see the document?
    Yes, common issue. Having been in manufacturing all my life, it is not as easy to "ramp up production" of the replacement part as you think. Toyota itself may not make the part, so the supplier has to, and it does take time to get parts made and into the market, even if Toyota is the producer.

Recalls are government mandated things that are issued when something could cause a serious safety issue, like a wheel breaking and falling off, to give a simple example. Or some cars (it wasn't Toyota) that burst into flames while parked in your garage.

You could argue that the lack of oil could seize the engine and cause an accident, but it is not likely, or the gov't would have forced a recall.

You have a copy of the TSB, but it is all over the net already if you do a search. It may have been posted in Edmunds already.

All manufactures have issues like this, even Honda and Toyota. But they are still tops in quality, if you look at Consumer Reports and JD Power.

Hope you get the part soon. I think the warranty covers a free loaner if your car is kept overnight.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Wow, I'm surprise that there's no recall for this major problem. Heck...Nissan issues recall with minor thing like a "possible" problem with the smart-key. I had the key for several years and I've never had an issue with it.
    My point about ramping up production is that this could have started last year, Given the TSB was issued in September, with the recommended replacement part identified, I suspect that Toyota was working on this for 2-3 months in advance. And, since we're at least 7 months after the TSB was issued, one would think that Toyota would have routine availability by now - even if it's produced by a sub-contractor.
    I also recognize that many recalls are driven by safety, but if Toyota were more customer-focussed, given what appears to be a problem that could impact many, they could probably score more points and reduce brand damage by being proactive. I've been in business for over 33 years, and I'm not impressed with Toyota regarding this matter.
    As for Consumer Reports, I'll be doing the Auto Survey shortly.......
  • vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    I had oil leak with my 2007 Camry L4 after an oil change. When I took it to the service they told me that the filter was not installed properly and it was leaking from there. They fixed it. After a few months, I noticed leak again on the ground. This time they said the leak was around the oil pan but they could not find where it was exactly leaking from. They cleaned the pan and dried it and advised me to check it regularly. If I see leak again I will take it to the service. Just wondering, when there is leak in the oil line, does the oil leak inside the engine? Does it come outside and drips on the ground? I would like to know this because, the warranty for my car will expire soon and if this is a serious problem I want it to be fixed under the warranty. Thank you.
    Vizyo:
    It appears that you may have a 4 cylinder Camry, and the problem I've had is, to my knowledge, a problem specific to recent V6 engines. The VVT oil line problem with the V6 engines causes leaks on the outside of the engine, which then leak down to the underside of the engine/vehicle.
    If you are having an issue with oil leaks, I suspect that the problem SHOULD be covered by the power train warranty (normally five years) rather than the basic three year warranty. However, these warranties have a mileage limit, so you'll need to refer to your owner documentation.
    Hope this helps.
    Ehh, hindsight is 20/20. :) My opinion is that Toyota is as good as any automaker regarding problems, including Honda. Lots of people were very upset at Honda tranny failures and compressor failures, etc. and threatened lawsuits, etc. I can appreciate their frustrations, but I can also see the business side. I don't know of another automaker that has always done things the way people think they should.
    I'm not sure if Toyota knew that the oil line was a widespread or a very small problem. Sometimes, it is hard to tell at first. At least they have the correction and it's an easy fix, once the part is available.

I truly hope you get yours fixed soon, and I trust they gave you a car to use in the meantime? Any other issues with yours?

My '07 CE I4 manual has been great, other than having TSB0068-08 done (25 minute reprogramming of the ECU to resolve an intermittent hesitation). Other than that, perfect, just as I expect. I can forgive this one minor error, and I know it won't cause any more future issues, so I'd still rate it excellent.
  • wolfborowolfboro Member Posts: 6
    Hi ,

I will be doing my wife's Toyota's 20K maintenance as per owner's manual (it is 2007 Camry with I-4 engine and auto-tranny ) . I am OK with most of the items except one . Manual suggests to tighten nuts&bolts on chassis , it says "front/rear suspension member retaining bolts to specified torque " .

Can anyone tell me where I should look for these bolts and torque values (if possible ) .

This site has been a good source of information . I thank all the contributors for their help .
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You don't have to worry about this item, as it's only for cars operated under "special operating conditions," in this case meaning frequent use on unpaved (and therefore bumpy) roads.
    Yes, 210delray is correct. I have never done this.
  • mikhmikh Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with a 2007 camry. Did you resolve your problem? If so, please advise. thank you.
  • patty19patty19 Member Posts: 11
    Yes the problem has been fixed. It was the oil valve line that broke. It seems to be a common thing happening with the 2005-2007 Camry as well as the Avalons.
    Only on the V6 models.
  • okalokal Member Posts: 14
    So . . . the money you spent on that car goes to Japan ,some comes back here.
    It is a Japanese company !

The Chrysler,Ford or GM car you buy ,especially if it is ASSEMBLED IN THE U.S.A. creates more jobs ( including NON-UNION jobs ) for AMERICANS then the Hondas,Toyotas or whatever built here.
    Even the AMERICAN content on the BIG 3 autos when averaged out is MORE AMERICAN then the average on a transplant.
    Yes afew transplants have a high American content but again it is just afew.

Not totting the BUY AMERICAN thing here just telling that these transplants are"a joke" in providing real American jobs.
    They provide a "token few" American jobs.

And if you purchased a forgien car BUILT OVERSEAS well you did VERY LITTLE to help your fellow AMERICAN worker.

plain and simple.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I looked at the Prius when a friend was thinking of buying one and it said ZERO American content. I told him I hope he loses his job and he was shocked. How could I think that. I told him he must not care since a good part of his job at the city water and light company is paid for by the huge monies GM pays them for water and elec. Plus he lives in Mich. and his wife's pension is from the State of Mich. which gets a whole lot of taxes from the Big 3 and maybe a couple bucks from the local Toyota dealers. Well that scared him off and he hasn't bought anything....................yet.
    This is not the forum to discuss this, but my '07 Camry was built in Kentucky with 75% North American content. The Ford Fusion/Milan was built in Mexico with 50% North American content. I know I am supporting more USA people with the Camry purchase.

The profits on the car (probably around 5% or less) go back to Japan. The vast majority of the cost of the Camry stays in the USA.

Now back to the Camry....
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    Based on what I have been reading about a possible oil line problem, I made an appointment with my dealer to have the oil line replaced with the "up-dated unit," as a precaution! ----- The cost of the service was $290.00 dollars. -------- My extended Toyota warranty picked up the total cost! ------- Since I do an extensive amount of highway driving as a sales person, I did not want to be worried about an issue on a long trip!

Best regards! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • agbosagbos Member Posts: 8
    I changed the oil myself as I have done many times before on my 2007 six cylinder Camry SE. After the oil change I went to reset the engine maintenance light but this time I couldn't do it. For some reason, even with the engine off and the key out of the ignition, the odometer stays on (lit but somewhat dimmed). I believe the procedure you do to reset the indicator light will not work unless the odometer is off when you first turn the key to on and hold the odometer knob in for 5 seconds. Has anyone experienced this and can provide a solution?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    No, you do it with the odometer reading showing with the ignition turned from off to on while simultaneously holding down the trip odo reset -- check your owner's manual for the exact procedure. (Edmunds removed my saved instructions.)
  • cgeddiecgeddie Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My 2007 camry is shifting badly when I start out from a stop is this a issue that many others are encountering?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I have the same vehicle, have not had or heard of any problems like that.

What exactly is it doing? Rough shifting? Shifting at wrong shift points, going into the wrong gears?

Have you checked the transmission fluid levels, and/or changed the fluid?
  • zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    My friend had a V-6 Camry that always shifted late while it was warming up. He took it to the dealership and complained. They replied that the delayed shifting while the engine was cold had been deliberately designed in, to reduce the emissions during cold engine operation. Things like that may feel weird to those of us who are used to the way cars used to run; but there is a good reason for such changes.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Hi there.
    Do some extensive reading of this forum and you'll find all kinds of references to a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by Toyota to its dealerships advising that owners of 2007 Camry, 4 cylinder automatics, are entitled to a free upgrade to the software that regulates their ECM (Engine Control Module.)

This 'modification' was developed to cure exactly the problems you're experiencing: dodgy shifting...hesitation at intersections...strange 'automatic' gear-changing under a variety of load conditions (like going uphill, etc). And it's probably worth doing, given that the hesitation problem alone can be deadly dangerous if/when it occurs in the face of oncoming traffic in a "turning situation".

Be warned, however, that after this TSB is performed on your car, you will probably notice at least one other shortcoming...notably, the engine will shift into overdrive far earlier than it should, resulting in a low-frequency, "grumbling" sound, as though the engine were being "lugged" (which it IS) at low road speeds. (We assume Toyota has done this to achieve better mileage figures!) This one problem CAN be overcome by manually shifting into 4th (by moving the stick to the left) when driving at low, in-town speeds. This is a bit of a nuisance, however....both because of having to put it INTO fourth AND remembering to move it over to FIFTH once you're moving at highway speed.

As I said.....do some creative searching in this forum, and you'll find lots of info on this whole subject.

Good luck!
    Michael
    Michael,

Actually the last TSB that was issued (seems like a year+ ago) fixes that 35-45mph overdrive grumbling/engine lugging. It keeps it in 4th longer. Vehicle runs great.
    Hi:
    I must be the only 2007 V6 Camry XLE owner that does not have any of the transmision issues that you are reading about on these boards! My vehicle has almost 48,000 miles, and it will be three years old January 2010. By January, it will have about 60,000 miles. On the highway I get at least 30mpg! I am very satisfied with the quality of this vehicle, and I have a great dealer!
    Best regards. ---- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • mazo3mazo3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Camry LE 2007 4 cylinder with 40K miles, sometimes it drops the idle RPM's to 500 while stopped in traffic (with A/C on) It seems to go back to normal RPM's when I turned the A/C off. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the Throttle Kit (whatever that is...) with no joy, they even scanned the cars computer for any codes but no codes were obtained, they couldn't get this one fixed. Also, I' ve tried different brands of hi octane gas. Same result, low RPM's (about 500 instead of a normal 750) at idle and lots of engine vibration. What could be the problem? Help please!!! :cry:
    Did you have anyone check the a/c system? Could be a problem with the a/c compressor, putting too much of a load on the engine.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Hi there, buddy.
    Forget the hi octane.......save your money.
    The four cylinder engine is sensitive to the load that the A/C adds to its performance, at both higher speeds AND at idle.
    Assuming you are never idling more that the duration of a stoplight (if you ARE idling longer than that...shame on you, you should be shutting off your engine instead of idling).....just enjoy the fact that a) you are cool, with your a/c on......and b) you are idling @ even lower RPM's than usual, therefore saving gas.
    If you are concerned about performance "off the line" after sitting there idling, just do what I do, which is momentarily turn off the air until you get back up to regular/highway speed. (Performance with a/c OFF is bad enough without making the poor engine attempt "launch" and "cool" simultaneously!
    Cheers.......there's nothing wrong with your car! (Hope your dealer didn't charge you anything for the work HE did; if he did, he's either ignorant, or a crook.)
    Michael
    Good Morning:
    Put the gear shift selector in "neutral" while waiting in traffic. This will take the "load" off the engine!
    Best regards. -------------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    The older 4 cylinder Camrys used to have an additional idle speed control valve; which only controlled the idle speed while the air conditioning was turned on. It was located near the top of the valve cover, on the passenger side of the engine. I don't know whether this valve is still used on your model; but if it is; it sounds like it needs to be readjusted.
  • momafrowmomafrow Member Posts: 1
    MY VSC light just came on for no reason whatsoever. My husband was backing out of a driveway and the car was half on drive half on wet grass from a light rain (even level wheels though) and there was a loud noise and wham the VSC light was on and the brake will barely go down at all. Headed to the dealer at 7 am to see if they can reset it. Hoping I don't get screwed but I know nothing about it and there is limited info to help me. I am at 39000 and 2.5 years owned :( so I don't know if anything will be covered under warranty or not!!! I hope I make it to the dealer.
    Call Toyota and tell them your situation. Be very nice, but tell them that you love Toyotas, etc. but are a little disappointed that this happened just out of warranty. Chances are, they'll cover it. I had a Rav4 that was just past the warranty on a seat belt buckle that stuck down (seat belts are 5 years, 60k miles) and they covered it!!
    I have recently taken my 2007 Camry LE 4 cyl. to service for the transmission hesitation and jerking at low speeds. Their technician did a test drive and said it was how the car operates and it was completely normal. I insisted and then they checked all issued TSBs in their system. I gave them TSB# I found in this forum but they did not even look at it. They found an upgrade for ECU, which is from 333A5000 to 333A5100. I do not know if this is what TSB 0068-08 does. They did the upgrade. The car now seems to be responding better; however I have started feeling some vibrations around 40~45mph speed. I first thought that it was coming from the road. Then I noticed that it was consistently doing it at the same speed. I think it is the transmission again. Does anyone experience such a problem? On the other hand, the upgrade has not fixed the jerk problem. The transmission still badly jerks when I do stop and go and when the speed reaches to 7~8mph. This is where it goes to the higher gear quickly and the car does not take it and jerks. It does not occur much when the engine is cold. I took the car back to the service and told them about all the problems. They said there is no any other upgrade for the transmission and the way it works is normal. Please advise if there is any other TSB issued for the transmission problems.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I can't say if any of the problems you describe, are encountering, have anything to do with it but as of the 2010 MY it is quite clear that Toyota and Lexus are still searching for a satisfactory solution, satisfactory to the CUSTOMER. There is now yet another new "fix" for the problem, design flaw, they embedded in all of their transaxles with a new more highly FE design starting with the '99 RX.

If you have DBW the transaxle is less likely to fail prematurely but will not be user friendly exactly.
    There is another TSB for the vibration - TSB 0069-08. The service dept. at your dealer is terrible - try going to different one.
  • chacha426chacha426 Member Posts: 16
    I had the same low speed (especially slowing to a stop on hills) transmission issue which hesitated and jerked into a lower gear in my 07 Camry XLE (6-cyl w/6-spd). There was a service bulletin for this issue and they said they fixed, but haven't tried it on the hill where it seems to happen. There is 24K miles on my car and bought it new. I have one of the first new Camry's w/6-spd trans and had to have the transmission and torque converter replaced at 2000 miles. TMC USA were very good to work with and in the end had them repair and they gave me 7-year bumper-to-bumper Platinum warranty. This extended warranty makes me feel better as I've had the car in the shop a few times for several things, like a bad switch in the sun roof (stuck open the first time I used it) and some other minor things.

Another oddity is that I had a creaking sound deep in the dash on the passenger side. They took out the entire dash and found a bad weld, so they fixed the weld and put it back together. No more noise so far, but just picked it up today and just drove home.

It's a really nice, fast and comfortable car, but guess I have long-term concerns about quality and reliability, which are the reasons I bought a Toyota in the first place. My 1998 Ford F150 truck has been absolutely flawless with 98K miles, so seems like American car quality has surpassed Japanese or at least Toyota? Maybe this will be the last repair to my 07 Camry? We'll see...
  • sdizdabestsdizdabest Member Posts: 5
    Hello silverbullet10,

I have the exact problem as you mentioned. I am at 35k and still under warranty. I noticed the noise from the steering when I was getting out of my garage at about 25k or before that. I have mentioned it to the Toyota service guys during the last 3 oil changes and they did not find anything. Any ideas suggestions for me. Was your problem fixed ? Please let me know when you get a chance.
  • 07camaryguy07camaryguy Member Posts: 1
    The car has smelt musty from the day we purchased it. 2007 camary GLE. It all came to a head about a month ago when the passenger side of the car was saturated with water after. The Dealer tried to side step but once I brought Toyota Corp on board they changed their tune. They had my car for over 30 days replaced the carpet and sent it out to a secondary place to recondition the interior. Cut to the chase still smells. Now the smell isof a chemical nature which sits in the back of your throat and gives you a headche if you drive with the windows closed. If anyone has shared a similar problem any feedback will help. Also I'm concerned now that this may become so sort of health problem. I will be speaking to Toyota corp. Tomorrow, any advice?
    They need to find where the water is leaking into the vehicle.

Moon roof, moon roof drains, window/door seals, drain holes in the bottom of the doors clogged, drain holes in the area below the front windshield clogged, leaking heater core, trunk seal defective, etc, etc.
  • keysankeysan Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for the information. I felt hopeless with my Camry jerking. I'm a back patient and I just hated it. I'm so happy to know that there is something that can be done with it. my car went to the shop today. It's still under 3 year warranty, so maybe I've caught this in time. Also, my seatbelt off light came on Sunday and stayed on. Then, when I drove it to the shop, it was off??? I have hope that all these problems will be taken care of now. Mostly, the jerking of the car when you step on the gas. Thanks so much. Elaine
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    They do buybacks!!!!! Did it years ago with GM after 26k miles, no lawyers, they never drove the car, sent the dealer a check, and bought another Intrigue, cost $600 to drive the car..Steering and brake issues, car ran like a dream..Do not take the Arbitration route, waste of time..

Played golf with some employees of the Southeastern Toyota Distributor back in the early 2000s, and they had many buybacks at their location..In retrospect, this was during the time frame when they built outstanding cars, so we were told.

Never owned any Asian car, and the only Toyota I would buy is the V-6 SE, for the std Toyota suspension is sloppy and gets really loosey/goosey with age..My acquaintance has a 2002 XLE w/4 banger only 77k miles and ,in excellent condition, but the struts are shot, however a/c is solid, no smell, driving position is horrible, gas mileage okay, and it gets an oil change every 5k..150hp engine moving a 3400# car is no ball-of-fire, but it goes from point A to B..Good car for a senior citizen..

Toyota has cheapen their cars dating back to last model redesign which was either 2006 or 2007..They have lost the quality edge to Honda and some other Korean upstarts..

Detroit cars have issues also, and after owning 41 Big 3 creations plus 2 German they have given lots of pleasure with some dispair at times..

Enjoy your cars for under the current Washington quidelines our love affair with the car will end with misery on wheels, and maybe you will think the next time you cast your ballot...
  • silverbullet10silverbullet10 Member Posts: 8
    I managed to convince my dealer to change the power-steering pump under warranty last Oct, but the noise is still there till today. Before that, we test drove both 4- and 6-cyl new lot and none of them show the noise. I decide not to pursue it further. Strangely enough, mine does not occur until the engine gets hotter, and it's most noticable when the a/c is on during the summer, but you heard it when the engine is cold. I sugggest you talk to the service advisor, and both of you test drive your car vs. the new car on the lot to convince him look further into the problem. Gd luck and let us know what you find :shades:
  • hislambhislamb Member Posts: 4
    Mine does the exactly the same thing! It truly drives me crazy because I have taken it to two dealerships, and furthermore have taken it to Tire Kingdom here in my town who I have found to be very excellent at finding problems. Nothing....no one can find out what makes my 07 Camry shimmy at 70 and beyond. I am considering trading this car in. This is my 4th Camry.....all others have been wonderful. My 03 Camry XLE (also a 4 cylinder) drives way better than the 07.
    I am truly disgusted with only 23000 miles on this 07 which is loaded to the gill with the liquicell leather and other nice features.....I don't want to keep it.
  • sewcoolsuesewcoolsue Member Posts: 11
    Interesting problem you're having. My '07 vibrates at 70, 75, but then around 80 (bad me!) it stops. I just thought it was something weird with my car, but now that I've heard your story I'm going back to my dealer so they can look at my car again. (P.S. I've had my transmission replaced twice already because of various problems. Have you had any issues with yours??)
    I have too many issues with my 2007 Camry LE 4cycl as well. I have the same vibration problems at ~70km/hr but it does not consistently repeat. I am trying to find the combination of driving style, speed and etc. to duplicate it so that I can show it to the technician in the service. My other problem is that the transmission jerks when I do stop and go. When the engine is cold I do not have this problem; however it happens very badly after about half an hour driving and the engine get hot. it shifts to higher gear at 10km/h, which is very low speed for higher gear for a big mass of a car. I used to be a big fan of Toyota after owning 3 other Toyotas without any major problem for years. I had too many other problems with this car; I also hate being given "it is normal and it is how the car operates" speech every time I took the car the service for obvious problems.
    Hello Keysan. Just wondering if you got jerking problem fixed? If so, how? I have the same problem and my camry jerks horribly at stop and go. Thank you.
    Can you describe what you mean by 'jerking' at stop and go? I have a 2007 Camry and it does nothing that I could even remotely consider 'jerking'.

Is the engine vibrating, or hesitating? Are you stopped at a stop sign and beginning to accelerate? What gear is the transmission in, and how fast are you going when this occurs? Etc, Etc, Etc.