Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    My '05 Camry 4 is driven mostly in town (and a small town at that). It has the same engine/transmission as the '07 and gets as low as 18 or 19 mpg. I'm lucky if I see 22 mpg or so in those conditions. But on long trips, it regularly gets in the low 30s (keeping speeds no more than 65-70 mph).
  • lindi1lindi1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Will have them check the sunroom, but that doesn't explain the fact that the floor mats and carpets were DRY with the wet only UNDER the jute?

Am surprised no other replies and that no one else is having or ever had this problem??? Getting discouraged. We're up to $1,750.00 on our dime so far!

Anybody?

Lindi
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    No clogged drains here, on our 2007.
  • ledzepplinledzepplin Member Posts: 41
    :mad: I try to turn the air conditioner off (pearl colored knob in the middle of dash) and the green light (indicating it is on) will not go out. I push the on-off button again and still no shut off. The only way you can now turn off the a/c is to turn the fan speed to the "off" setting. I don't know if there is a tsb on this but ever since we had the oil line leak I have begged my wife to sell her car and buy a Honda! The car has 66k miles and appears to be falling apart piece by piece. :surprise:
    I didn't go out to check our vehicle, but is the cooling knob in the MAX cooling position? If so, take it off the MAX position, and see if it now will turn off.
  • chris789chris789 Member Posts: 37
    I just got a 2010 Camry and think it needs 0w20 or something similiar. Is the Toyota Oil just as good as Mobile 1 Synthetic oil or is one a lot better than the other or are each just as good as the other. I plan on putting 200,000+ miles on the car and having it for a little over 10 years.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, that's correct, it is functioning correctly. Just take it off max and it will turn off.
    Yes, it requires 0w20, and I'd bet that the Mobile 1 is cheaper than the Toyota synthetic, so that's what I'm going to use. I'm sure they are both great oils, but you pay a big mark-up for the Toyota name. Mobile 1 0w20 at Walmart is $6.27 per quart (you cannot buy it in a gallon jug yet).

By the way, this forum is for 2007 Camry!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    and since we all know toyota doesn't make their own oil it could very well be Mobil 1 in different packaging.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Much more likely it's simply re-refined recycled USED oil.
    So that is how Toyota ended up with a Sludge problem. I always wondered and wouldn't put it past them after all their sneaky business practices of past.
    Not true.

A must read about the so-called sludge problem is in "Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions - READ ONLY" message #4829 by Hylyner.

Please go there - and now, back to the 2007 Camry. :D
    There is no so called sludge problem, there IS a sludge problem in about 3.5 Million Toyota's and Lexus as documented by the Feds and a class action law suit agreement by Toyota. :P Google Toyota Sludge settlement
  • carpentersson3carpentersson3 Member Posts: 2
    The Toyota Sludge problem was tracked only to mid to late model Camrys and it was traced back to Pennzoil. The problem was these oils had parafin wax in them and because of the wax there was a waxy sludge build up. Toyota came forward sent all owners at that time a letter to take to the dealers to have their Camrys checked and to extend the warrantys on their Camrys. I'm not just making things up like some of the people on this forum. My wife and I as well as two orther couples we knew had this happen first had, Toyota took very good care of us and has in the 10 years and many Toyotas and Lexus we have bought since. I really hate when people don't have a clue what they are talking about and just make crap up just to hear themselves talk. :shades:
    Strange, the information I have says that the engine block oil passages were changed to alleviate the sludge problem for engines manufactured after a certain date.

And apparently the problem also applied to the RX300 otherwise I wouldn't have recieved notice.

Just where did you find/hear that Pennzoil story, that's a new one I hadn't heard before.
    maybe some make crap up just to hear themselves talk.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >the information I have says that the engine block oil passages were changed to alleviate the sludge problem

I also read that Toyota quietly changed the capacity of the PCV to try to mitigate the sludge propensity of the engine design. That was at the same time dealers were telling customers it was customer's fault that sludging had occurred. :)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's get back to issues specific to the 07 Camry now, thank you!
    So sludge didn't happen to the 07 Camry? So sorry. :sick:
  • rosa1alrosa1al Member Posts: 1
    The A/C Compressor on my 2007 Camry failed at 37,700 miles, The repair for this will be $ 3,500. Is anybody aware of simular A/C compressor problems? I do not understand that a part so vital can break with just 37,700 on it.
    Never heard (read) of it being common at all - first I've heard is yours. I'd try calling Toyota, since you are just over the 36,000 miles. I don't if you are past the 3 years, but if you are a little over on either it is worth calling them and trying to get them to pay or help pay for it.

If not, an independent shop would be MUCH cheaper.
    Seems like a pretty steep repair charge. Have you scrutinized the charges, and/or called around for competitive bids?

Just looked up the compressor part online on Napa, new is $634, remanufactured is $314. Will need to flush, possibly accumulator and filter, and recharge...but $3500....please. That's over triple what I'd want to get it done for.

NAPA Toyota Compressor
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    ......and if you can't get any help from the dealer/manufacturer.......do not pass go....do not collect 200 dollars.......go directly to your local wrecker and pick up a compressor from a Camry that's been "totalled".
    The part is probably a "universal" fit for many model years.......therefore should be in good supply AND under HALF the price of a factory replacement.
    Good luck,
    Mike
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Isn't $3500 around where Honda is gouging its customers for CRV AC failures? Maybe Toyota is using the same vendor for its AC units? These kind of things may be good for Ford and GM!
    Careful...somewhere in there Toyota has switched to variable displacement A/C compressors, still fairly rare..EXPENSIVE.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Reason enough to stay away from cars with bleeding edge hi-tech components... and, yes, you can still buy quality vehicles that don't use such high cost components.

I've said this all along, all of these hi-tech oriented vehicles are fine, until you start paying "out of warranty" repair costs. Old technology may not be superior, but it sure is cheaper.
  • hughesbsthughesbst Member Posts: 4
    No compressor issues here "YET" but I just had to replace the Condenser - luckily not too hard, hubby bought the part online for $110 and replaced it himself. Just had a friend Evac it for us and paid him $50. Wouldn't take it to Toyota if my life depended on it. Would rather suffer in the heat!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    I took a ride down to Atlantic City just to hit the buffet! ----- YES, I love to "graze at the trough!" ----- My Camry now has 53,670 trouble free miles. ---- At 55mph I was able to get it up to 36mpg. ---- This vehicle has everything; comfort, luxury and ride! ---- I am sold on Toyota!
    Best regards! -------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Man what have you been smoking. Comfort, luxury and ride. Obviously you have never rode in anything of value. I'm not saying it isn't nice but in the company of a Lexus, CAddy, BMW the Big M you are driving a econo box that rides like one.
    Good Morning dmathews3:

Kindly be advised that the Lexus requires premium gasoline in its V6 for maximum performance, while the Camry V6 recommends regular gasoline.

Gas mileage is rated by the EPA at 19 / 27 mpg -- city / highway for the Lexus, (which only comes with a V6), while the Camry XLE V6 is rated at 19 / 28 mpg. (On my 2007 V6 XLE I have reached 36mpg on the highway.)

Despite costing almost $35,000.00 the ES350 Lexus comes with a cloth interior as standard. A leather interior is a part of a $1,280 premium pkg. on the ES350, but the Camry XLE with a V6 has standard leather seats.

A fully leaded XLE tops out at about $32, 495.00, while you can load an ES350 to reach $44,000.00.

Even though Lexus is a very nice vehicle, my "EGO" is not big enough to own a Lexus. The cost of premium fuel is enough to keep my driving an XLE Camry.

Before purchasing my new XLE Camry, I stopped at a Lexus dealer and I looked at a one year old ES350. YES, it was a vey nice vehicle, but when I looked at cost of maintenance at the dealer, I decided to purchase it's cheaper cousin.

Best regards. --------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    There is NO modern day Lexus that REQUIRES preminum fuel. They all will run just fine with regular. Maybe a slight degraduation of FE and some minor level of performance.

And I would bet that the Camry V6 running on regular will get roughly equal, too close to meaure the difference reliably, FE to the ES running on regular. I suspect that the ES running on premium will only show improved FE, comparitively, if the driver is often in "boy-racer" mode vs not.
    Dwayne you said I quote: This vehicle has everything; comfort, luxury and ride! ---- I am sold on Toyota!
    You are driving a econobox, get over it, it may have everything as far as YOU want but compared to the cars I named before you don't have the comfort, definitely doesn't have luxury or ride of even the cheapest of the REAL Luxury cars. I have nothing against Toyota but I do when someone describes one as a luxury car. :P
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Okay. I respect your opinion. But, I have to ask, in your opinion, out of the cars you listed. What do they have that makes them REAL luxurious cars? (You never did say, you just stated your opinion.) Also, do you own any of the cars you listed and what is the year and do/did you own a camry? Let me hear what you like and dislike about them? We own a 07 Luxury Camry XLE that came loaded, we bought certified used just last year with only 39K for $17,999. I love everything about our car. It is just about identical to the 2007 Lexus ES 350, both inside and out from what I have seen, but cost much less. Thanks :shades:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Dmathews, djm2 gave his opinion of his satisfaction with his car and he's entitled to that. As even you say, it may have everything he wants - and that's apparently all that matters to him. You don't have to agree with him, but this discussion is about repair issues with the 2007 Camry. It's not the place to get into a smack down about what constitutes a luxury car.

Masterpaul1, there are better places to seek the answers to your questions than this particular discussion.

Thanks to both of you for letting this discussion stay on track.
    Hey, Vizyo!
    What's shakin??
    Do you still have your Camry?
    I, too, live in Canada (St. Catharines, ON) and have been VERY disappointed by the oil consumption (amongst other things) on my 4cyl/auto Camry.
    I'm using three or four times as much oil as my '97 Camry ever used and I'm not even going to talk to the dealer. (They were such a**holes about doing the transmission TSB, I don't even want to deal with them anymore.....and the car's way past warranty age/mileage)
    Toyota is losing billions of dollars now (see headlines in every major newspaper in the world) and if they gave their heads two shakes, (or, heaven forbid, asked a couple of customers for their opinions) they soon find out that it's more than economic problems that are causing their grief: it's piss-poor customer relations caused by bad product with bad service.
    They've screwed us once.......shame on them......now never again.......good for us!!
    Hi notmybmw:
    I am interested in the oil consumption issue on your 07 / 4 cylinder Camry. As you know from my previous posting, I own a 2007 V6 XLE Camry. It now has 54,000 + miles and I have this vehicle serviced at the dealer every 2,500 miles. (My choice!) I never use oil between oil changes. My selling / servicing dealer suggests using an oil additive BG / MOA. I have been using this product in the oil since the vehicle was new.

Engines burn oil for the following reasons:

1.) Bad valve seals.
    2.) Worn valve guides.
    3.) Pressurized crankase due to a clogged PCV valve and / or breather system.
    4.) Blow-by from worn piston rings.
    5.) The wrong oil in the engine.
    6.) Fuel getting into the oil.

SUGGESTION:
    1.) Change you oil and filter.
    2.) Be sure that you are using the correct oil as specified by the manufacturer.
    3.) Take a sample of the old oil and have it analyzed to see if there is fuel in the oil.
    4.) Keep an accurate record as to the mileage and the amount of oil used.
    5.) Replace the PCV valve with a new Toyota PCV valve.
    6.) Check your engine for sludge!

Best regards! --------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • dlrevdlrev Member Posts: 11
    "Toyota is losing billions of dollars now (see headlines in every major newspaper in the world)"

Really? I hadn't heard/read that at all.
    I heard about the floormat recall, what..... ;);) you didn't hear about the Toyota loosing billions of dollars?????? ;););)
    Hey, the US tax code virtually dictates that businesses "manage" the books to indicate substantial losses even in the best of financial times. Then at times like now, businesses often discover themselves ill prepared to find alternative ways to reverse the book "management".
    Wayne....I'm curious; what's this BG MOS stuff? You a distributor? Own shares?

Also, some comments/questions about your "suggestions":
    3.) Take a sample of the old oil and have it analyzed to see if there is fuel in the oil.
    WHERE?

4.) Keep an accurate record as to the mileage and the amount of oil used.
    AND TELL WHOM?

5.) Replace the PCV valve with a new Toyota PCV valve.
    WHERE IS IT LOCATED, EXACTLY? HOW MUCH DOES THIS ITEM COST?

6.) Check your engine for sludge!
    WHAT'S YOUR DEFINITION OF SLUDGE? THIS IS PRETTY SUBJECTIVE, ISN'T IT?LIKE........THERE'S SOME BLACK CRUD INSIDE MY OIL FILLER CAP.....IS THAT SLUDGE?

Thanks for your comments.
    Mike
    Oil analysis:
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Oil usage rate records:
    Use them for your own purpose to support your consumption claims to Toyota

BG:
    http://www.bgprod.com/history.html
    This is a brand of additives sold primarily to car shops to use/sell to retail customers. The products are available on the internet for individuals to purchase as well; try ebay.

>sludge:

Checking for sludge can be subjective. A good technique is to have the valve cover removed and see what's collecting inside. At 54,000 mi there should be relatively little there if oil changes were done on time and with good quality oils. A Toyota salesman told me he showed customers on used cars how to check by sticking his finger into the valve cover and wiping to see what came out on his finger. I assume that was through the oil filler opening. Stuff collecting on the filler cap usually doesn't mean much because it sticks up where it's much cooler and acts as a condenser for various things in vapor form inside the motor.

I'm speaking for djm, but he's reported many times he had his dealer change the oil every 2500 miles (twice the recommended frequency), and he does a lot of highway driving. His dealer recommended the BG additive, which I personally think is snake oil just to line the dealer's pockets. There's no way in hell his car is going to have sludge, given the very frequent oil changes, long distance driving, and no record of sludge occurring with the new 3.5-liter V6 that was introduced in the Camry in 2007.

As I've reported before, I had a 1997 Camry with the 2.2-liter 4 that was one of the engines with the reputed sludge problem. I did all the own oil changes myself at the recommended (for severe service) 5K mile intervals or less (about 3 times a year), and had no sludge issues over the 7 years and 111K miles I owned the car. I always used conventional (dino) oil too -- no synthetics and no additives.

This was the first car I've owned in 30+ years that never showed any loss of oil on the dipstick between oil changes. This is also true now for all 3 of my current cars: 1998 Frontier, 2004 Camry, and 2005 Camry. Only my lawn mowers now use oil!
    Now that I see BG's logo on their products.......I think I recall using one of their chain lubes (or some other motorcycle specialty product of theirs) back in my racing days.
    I agree with the other writer: I would not be inclined to use ANY product that was billed as an oil or engine life "extender" ....simply on the basis that it DOES sound like a snake oil scam. If the "normal" oil I'm already paying between 4 and 10 bucks a litre/quart for (dino OR synth) isn't already "EXTENDING" the life of my engine....then screw the whole process. May as well put Walmart crap in it and save a whole lotta dough!
    Just my two cents worth!
    Agreed, and I don't think there's a manufacturer of any car sold in the US that recommends using ANY oil additives, at least according to their owners' manuals. Who knows more about the car than the people who built it? Certainly not the dealer.
    >I don't think there's a manufacturer of any car sold in the US that recommends using ANY oil additives,

I believe my car manual says no additives are needed for the oil. It says to use oil marked with the proper GM specification and that's all that's needed.
    Oils have improved greatly in the last several years.

Re engines using or not using oil:
    An engine has to use some oil coating the cylinder walls as the rings slide down and then up on them. No oil would mean friction. The upper part of the cylinder is going to have oil burning off the wall due to the combustion. But many cars use very little. The combustion products that end up in the oil must add enough volume they replace the oil that is, in my thinking away, being used by the car to recoat the cylinder walls. There are always stories about people who drive their car under city conditions and short drives that build up byproducts in the volume of their oil. Then they take a highway trip and all of a sudden the contaminants are purged due to contstant high temperatures and in the cylinders as part of the oil coating, and when they check their oil they find the level is down. So they blame the highway driving for using oil when the car has been using oil all along and just replacing the lost volume with combustion products.

• jep56jep56 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a pre-owned 2007 Camry. Is there a way to change the "Welcome To Camry" message that appears on the stereo face when first starting the car?
    Not that anyone has ever reported being able to do....
  • miketmomiketmo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 toyota camry 4C, when I come to a stop my front end starts to vibrate and when I start accellerating the vibration stops. I noticed that when I turn off the A/C the vibration stops and when I turn it back on the vibration starts again. Any suggestions?
  • chris789chris789 Member Posts: 37
    This happened in my 96 Camry LE 4 Cylinder. I believe its the Air Compressor of the A/C thats causing the vibration and when you give the car more gas it increases the pressure and the vibration goes away. I usually only noticed when I first start the car with the a/c turned on.