Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Thank you Zanken, just said the same thing to my wife this morning about the scanner being used to help out family friends.

I'll keep you updated when job is complete. Thanks again, chuck
    I Zaken, can you or anyone else cofirm where the bank 1 sensor 1 is located on the Camry 2007 v-6 3.5 engine. I'm hearing conflicting reports. If Bank 1 is on the 1 cylinder side where is Cylinder 1 at.

Would anyone have a digrams or pictures of this exact engine.
    Also does this car have 2 catalytic converters?

I want to make sure of the location before I by a fuel ratio sensor.

Thanks, chuck
  • zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    I was wrong in the information I previously gave you. While bank 1 IS the bank which has #1 cylinder; the cylinders on your motor are numbered with #1 on the FIREWALL side. It is the cylinder closest to the fan belts (which are on passenger side of car). Here's a diagram if my words are not absolutely clear: (http://www.fixya.com/cars/t2218091-cylinder_number_5) This diagram is for a Lexus V-6; but the cylinder numbering is exactly the same as all Camry V-6s. I checked about 5 different references on this; and they all say the same thing.

Very sorry I goofed. I rarely do.

There are 2 catalytic converters on this model. They were produced in 2 different configurations. One version has a separate converter in unit with each exhaust manifold. The other version has 2 converters in a row in the exhaust pipe that runs back underneath the car from where both manifold outlets feed into it.

You need to be aware that, since Toyota has superseded the original part design; the aftermarket parts sold online may or may not match the new Toyota part design. It is essential to first clarify this information about any part that you decide to buy. You DON'T want the first design.
    Hi Zaken, thanks for the update. I will look this over. This should be very helpful.
    I'm wondering that in my 2007 Camry I don't plan on purchasing a new updated Manifold just want to change the old Sensor. Can I then order the original aftermarket sensor. Rock auto gave me a Denso part# after cross referencing it with the original toyota part#.

Thanks again for all your help, chuck
    I was thinking about that option myself. Of course you can buy the original sensor. The one Rock Auto came up with should be just fine. I just wonder whether the defect they speak of will mean that it will fail at a low mileage.

Another option would be to buy a pair of used exhaust manifolds and air fuel ratio sensors from a wrecking yard, taken from a 2008 or newer Camry with the 3.5 V-6. The part number for the AFR sensor changed in 2008, and the same one is used all the way up to the present day. I expect these manifolds are also the same as the upgrade they want to sell you. You might be able to get these parts surprisingly cheap. There are several wreckers who specialize in only Toyotas. Here's one of the most well reputed. They will ship parts anywhere in the US.
    (http://www.ranchotoyotatruckparts.com/carpages/T09235Z21460.html)

To avoid surprises; you'd need to confirm that the catalytic converter style used with these manifolds is the same as the ones on your car (the later models use individual converters in unit with manifold). Rock Auto sells new integrated manifold/converters for the later Camrys for $400 each (2 required).
    Thanks for the info. The used manifolds are an option. I think for time and money I will probabally choose the original sensor and hope I get another 50,000 miles out of it. I think this sensor has been a problem in the performance of my car even before the check enging light came on. Maybe heat related form the manifold. Toyota should issue a recall for the design of the manifold though I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    I just need to get under my car to identify the correct sensor. Need to find the time to do that. The diagram you sent is very helpful. I was also wondering if there is a diagram of the sensor locations.
    Thanks much!
    I haven't seen a specific diagram of the sensor locations; but it sounds like there are up to four sensors on this model. One of them is upstream of the front catalytic converter; while the other two are downstream of the rear converter and resonator, screwed into the top of each of the separate pipes that feed the rear mufflers. In vehicles which have the manifold and converter combined into one unit, there is probably a front sensor screwed into each of the exhaust manifolds (so you would need to replace TWO sensors; unless the code identified which of them are bad). These sensors can probably be accessed from above the engine. Here's a photo of the original air/fuel ratio sensor on the 2007 motor: (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1606680) And here's a photo of the left side manifold/converter unit on the later model engines: (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425722). There are also two additional converters in the exhaust pipe downstream of where the exhaust manifolds connect to that pipe. Here's a diagram of the complete exhaust system: (http://info.rockauto.com/Walker/Detail.html?91511-0480.jpg) The pipe with the additional converters in it is the one numbered "50451."
    Hi Zaken, thanks for the info and diagrams. It looks like in the exhaust diagram the two manifolds #31332 would each have a sensor. I think Bank 1 sensor 1 would be the one closes to the fire wall which you can see from under the car. You can also see another one from under the car which is closer to the radiator. I am going to see if I can get into a dealership and ask them to point it out to me. Hopefully I can find a tech that would be nice enough to show me where the Bank 1 sensor 1 is for sure.
    Appreciate all your help and feel free to send anymore info on this.
    chuck
    Interestingly enough; in the exhaust diagram, #31332 is a flange gasket; used between the converter outlets and headpipes. The same part is shown at the rear of the car between the pipes and mufflers. I also initially thought it was the number of the manifold; until I looked more closely. But you are absolutely correct that the two manifolds (which are pictured right next to the #31332) each have a sensor. Since bank 1 has got to be the cylinder bank next to the firewall, and sensor 1 is the only sensor in bank 1; there is no possibility for confusion there. The other bank, next to the radiator, is called bank 2. I expect the sensor in that bank is called sensor 2. I would suggest that you have enough information at this point to justify confidence in this conclusion; and not waste time and possibly money by bothering the dealership techs.
    Thanks Zaken, good catch on the part #'s. I see that now. This has been helpful.
    I'll keep you updated. Probabally won't get it changed before the weekend. Thanks again
    Hi Zaken, wanted to let you know I ordereda sensor today from Rock Auto. Hope to get this weekend. I went to Toyota tonight for an oil change and I ask if I can get under the car after they lifted it up. There was a young Tec who was very helpful and pointed out all the sensors to me. I was surprised he let me hang out under the car for quite awhile as we discussed my car. This sensor is probabally the toughest one to get at. The plug in connection is the biggest challenge as the wire runs up the fire wall somewhere and hard to see where it ends. The Tec has done many of these but thought he remebered taking apart the throttle- air-filter chamber to get his hand in from the top to reach the connector.
    The sensor has to be done from underneath.
    I'm going to have ny original mechanic do it for $30 though I don't know if he will stick with that quote when he see's where it is at.
    I'm sure he has the tools.
    Today leacing work with the car still cold the car seemed to go into a neturel mode for a couple of seconds. It seemed like the trans was acting up. I have had issues with this trans but this was a severe slip as i was hitting the gas pedal and it was like dead air.
    I'm wondering if it's all related to the sensor code?
    I'll keep you informed, thank again, chuck

PS I know you mentioned that to reset a code it can't be done by disconnecting the battery on cars 1996 and newer. I have heard other say that too. The dealership toinght seeems to think you can. Not sure what to think.
    Has anyone had to change this fuel-ratio sensor and if so did you find a easy way to reach the connector that is along the fire wall. Can't see it though. I was told I may have to remove some of the air filter assembly and throttle body assembly to make space to reach the connector. The sensor has to be reached from under the car.
    Any suggestions would be great, chuck
    edited December 2011
    It looks like; if you decide to do this yourself; you'll receive an initiation into the fraternity of those who have gained ultimate confidence that anything which has been put together by man or machine, can also be disassembled and worked on. The Camry V-6 is one of the most challenging vehicles I have ever worked on. Changing the spark plugs on the rear cylinder bank is a classic example of why so many home mechanics have thrown their hands up in disgust and paid a professional to do it. But the main difference why the professionals can routinely do such formidable tasks is that they have specialized tools (like ratchets with pivoting handles, wobble extensions. extensions of many different lengths, stubby handle ratchets, inspection mirrors, bright flashlights; and most of all, the confidence that methodical work, along with keeping notes of the order in which parts were removed, and drawing diagrams of how things are placed, will inevitably lead to success. They are also motivated to put their best efforts into a job because they get PAID for it. Home mechanics can always fall back on the: "Aw, it's just not worth all that work" excuse. The first time you do a job; there is bound to be wasted time and effort. But it still will be possible to reach the same result as the professionals by just carefully analyzing what needs to be removed in order to access a particular area; and taking the parts off one by one, while remaining aware of how they all go together. We professionals also go through the same process when doing a job for the first time.
    Thanks Zaken, for the words of wisdom and confidence. As there is part of me would like to attempt the job I don't think I'm set up with the right tools and no lift to get under the car. It's winter here in Illinois so I think I will have a mechanic do it. Two Mechanics I know were to busy to do it this weekend so I have to wait.
    I feel I need to point out the location of the sensor to these mechanic because like you said they are challenging to locate and get to.
    One thing that is bothering me is that the new sensor I got from Rock Auto Denso 234-9050 has a wire of appox 12 inches. When I was under the car the other day with a Toyota Tec I seem to think a longer wire would be needed though I could be wrong on this seeing I never saw the connector.

I'm trying to find out info to confirm the length of the wire for the Bank 1 sensor 1 on the v-6 2007 Camry.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom. You are right on! chuck
    Hi Zaken, been wanting to give you an update on the fuel ratio sensor.

I found time to make it to the mechanis shop I usally have sucess with on Tuesday afternoon. One of the young mechanics working there installed the sensor while I was able to watch him do the whole job. He did a great job as the challenging part was to get to the connector which is along the firewall. He took apart the air filter assembly and throttle body which he did very quickly and was able to reach down and find the connector. I was very pleased with the job which took less than an hour and would have been quicker if not for getting to the connector. I was only charged $30 which is a great deal and I tipped the mechanic $10. The code 2195 was reset and it hasn't come back.
    I'm feeling the car is responding better to shifts as far as smootheness and no heavy engine breaking. It's only been some driving around the neighborhood and back and forth to work. I will get a better feel this weekend on how much of a change this sensor is making.
    I'm wondering if this sensor has been faulty long before the check engine light came on. Also wondering if it was due to carbon build up?

Zaken, thank you so much for all your insight. You have been very helpful and I have learned a lot. I feel I can do this job myself next time if I had to.
    Talk to you soon, chuck
  • skywalkaskywalka Member Posts: 6
    Hi, i use a 2007 Camry V6 Model and i recently had a scan on my engine and the resulting codes are P0010, P0157, P0368 and P0393. Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong.

Appreciate your responses.
    The definitions of these codes are:

P0010: "A" camshaft position actuator circuit problem (Bank 1)

P0157: Oxygen sensor circuit low voltage (Bank 2, sensor 2)

P0368: Camshaft position sensor "B" circuit high (Bank 1)

P0393: Camshaft position sensor "B" circuit high (Bank 2)

This is an unusual, and somewhat complex one. If your local dealership does not have top notch technicians in computer systems diagnosis; I would recommend going to an independent shop that specializes in computer controls and electrical systems. If you don't know of such a shop in your area; please say so, post your city and state; and I'll try to come up with a recommendation for a shop.
    Thanks Zaken!! I'm actually in africa at the moment so i'm pretty sure your recommendation of a shop won't help much. Would you by any chance know what could have brought up these error codes and how I could rectify it with the technicians here?

Appreciate your help.:-)
    Now why would you think I can't recommend shops in Africa? Seriously, I doubt that anyone in Africa could deal with this problem; because the electronics on your car are probably not used in vehicles sold there (although I'm not 100% certain of that).

If you can correlate the appearance of the check engine light with any particular event (like perhaps the engine being steam cleaned, or getting stuck in a flood, driving over an object in the road, or the car being dropped or damaged in transit) it would be a valuable start. If anyone was playing around with the electrical wiring; this could also have been a cause.
    Many thanks for your response.

Apologies for underestimating your deep wealth of knowledge. I had the car shipped in from the US and its a challenge getting good technicians around here.

What could go wrong if these problems are not fixed??
    I wouldn't expect major consequences; but the motor would probably not run as smoothly or economically with these problems. I doubt it would shut down.

Here's a seat of the pants approach which might be helpful: Make sure there is a ground wire connected between a bolt in the engine block and a bolt in the firewall. If that wire cannot be found on your car; have a new one made from a length of approx. 14 gauge stranded electrical wire; strip the insulation off each end, and crimp a suitable size ring terminal on each end. Then fasten the wire to an engine bolt and a bolt in the firewall.

Make sure that the battery ground (negative) "-" cable goes to a clean bolt that threads directly into the engine, and is not instead fastened to a bracket or a painted part. Re-route the cable if necessary.

Disconnect and spray WD-40, brake cleaner, mass airflow sensor cleaner, trichlorethylene, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, or electrical contact cleaner into the terminals in all the electrical wiring harness plugs which lead to things on the engine. DO NOT USE CARBURETOR CLEANER OR SOLVENTS WHICH LEAVE ANY RESIDUE. Include any plugs on the firewall that lead to the engine. If these chemicals are not available; plugging and unplugging the connectors repeatedly may remove any corrosion on the contacts. A fine file or needle nose pliers may also be used to advantage in insuring a good connection in the contacts. Be careful to not distort contacts so they do not mate well. Also disconnect the battery cables from the battery and scrape their contact faces and the surface of the battery posts with a round file, or a battery cable service tool.

While the battery cables are disconnected; turn on all the electrical switches (ignition key, lights, heater, windshield wiper, radio, cruise control, fan, air conditioning, etc, and leave all the switches on for about 30 minutes. Then turn all the switches off, reinstall the battery cables and tighten the bolts until the cable clamps cannot be moved by hand pressure.

After all the above work is done; use a code scanner to clear all trouble codes which are in the computer. The car may run strangely for the first few minutes after it is started; while the computer relearns the normal sensor inputs. It will then be helpful to put the car through the entire range of its capabilities; by driving until the temperature gauge reaches normal, and then accelerating at different rates, including some full throttle bursts from perhaps 30 to 60 mph; along with driving at sustained high speeds for a mile or more (if possible).

That's all I have in my pockets at this time. Good luck to you.
    Hi, wanted to ask when you had the scan done on your car was your check engine light on. I'm assuming it was though it was not mentioned in your post.
    I think Zaken has excellent advice. I was alos wondering do you have a remost starter hooked up in your car that could have caused an electical problem?
    Hope you find a solution, chuck
    Is anyone else aware that when your check engine light comes on that your VSC and traction control light come on to which mean thay are not working at that time.

To me that can be a serious safety issue seeing that drivers benifit with these features while driving on slippery pavement. Why would Toyota design these features to go out when other engine codes are present.
    I was driving my car recently with the check engine light on along with the VSC and Traction control lights on and took a sharp turn and realized the VSC was not working like it normally would. When these lights are on it doesn't say on or off.
    Thanks for any insight, chuck
    Can anyone tell me if my Nephew's 2002 Camry that was backed into while it was in park would have any Trans issues? The car moved about 10 feet backwards.

Thanks for your input, chuck
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If it was mine, I'd be concerned. Maybe not so much if it was on ice and I knew the tires had limited friction, thereby minimum pressure trying to turn the transmission.
  • kdk213kdk213 Member Posts: 4
    Had water pump failure at 22,000 miles, replaced under warranty, now at 41,500 miles and 2 yrs since first replacement the pump is failing again, am losing antifreeze and now see small spots of it on the garage floor.
    Spoke with a service tech at dealer who says until fluid leaking around the valve Toyota will not cover. So basically I have to wait for it to blow and be towed somewhere?
    E mailed main offices of Toyota USA to inquire why this is happening. There has to be something wrong with the system to have this frequent water pump failure.
    My daughter purchased a 98 corolla with 98,000 miles on it , had already been beaten to he** and she beat it up for two more years to about 150,000 miles till she wrecked it.
    This car is babied to death, maintained as instructed and still is having major failure. Very disappointed.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    Invest in an AAA and keep your card handy! :)
  • ledzepplinledzepplin Member Posts: 41
    Dealers are thugs. One suggestion above was to get AAA. These people have given me a really bad time for just one tow job. A local jerk sub contractor. If you want good coverage try GM motor club. I wouldn't let my cat piss on a GM product but the coverage on the motor club is pretty good. Good luck.
    Instead of playing a losing game by asking the shills of a company that is engaged in systematic denial why a part with an obvious design defect has failed; the thing to do is to put them on notice that this part already failed once under warranty; and now is failing a second time. Then just buy a Cardone Select #5543165 aftermarket replacement water pump ($60.79 from www.rockauto.com); which has an improved design and have it installed by an independent garage. This will end your problems.

The thing to do then is to hire an attorney who specializes in Lemon Law cases. Toyota is the last party to admit their errors; but the Lemon Law attorney may be able to make them pay the bill for having a properly designed pump installed in place of their faulty part. Or you can just eat the cost of having it fixed right; and publicize how you fixed it in local newspapers and TV stations.
    Thanks for the suggestions, the auto club membership has already been considered as my wife frequently uses this car for long distance travel.

Of course in two days no answer from Toyota USA; like the suggestion to purchase the pump from Rock Auto, have done business with them for parts before. Not easy to find good lawyers where we live, NY State Lemon Law requires three failures I think.

Just need to find a local garage we trust, have replaced pumps myself on older vehicles, not sure want to tackle it on this one.

Toyota should pay for this, and should admit the problem. Of course also have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix where it took GM over 10 yrs to admit a problem with oil leaking into the valves and possibly causing fire and put out a recall...Unfortunately it seems none of the auto manufacturers stand by their product anymore.
    You may not know that I spend most of my time on the Edmunds "Answers" forum; in which I have answered nearly 4,000 questions during the last 4 years. As part of this work, I sometimes research and recommend local garages for people who do not know of a reliable, trustworthy shop.

If you would like a recommendation for a good, independent, local shop; please respond to this message by posting the city and state in which you live; and I'll try to come up with one.
    I have dealt with dealer thugs and I used 3 avenues when facing this kind of situation:

1. Write a letter to Tojo the president of Toyota in Japville and ask.

2. Small claims court focuses their attention wonderfully

3. Better Business Bureau: I could never understand it but many "thugs" do not
    want any attention from BBB.
    Good Luck.
  • crankrodmancrankrodman Member Posts: 3
    My water pump is starting to leak at 72,000. Have been quoted $$ ranging from $850 to $1800 by dealerships.

I am in Venice, FL. Am willing to travel 30 miles or so to find a good mechanic.

Thanks,
    live in Utica NY, 13502
    Check out ABC Auto Tech, 4411 30th St W., Bradenton, and also compare with El Potosino Auto Repair, 2509 9th St W, Bradenton.
    Check out Bailey's Auto and Small Engine Repair, 4360 Acme Rd., Ilion, NY 13357 and compare to Clinton Auto Sales Services, 3723 State Rt. 12B, Clinton, NY 13323.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Must be a V6 engine?
    it is not a V6, it is a 4 cylinder automatic LE
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    WOW! You should not be paying more than $300 for the pump and labor. This is a very easy job on a 4 cylinder.
  • robbsolidrobbsolid Member Posts: 1
    HAve you discovered what the front end clattering noise was? I have something similar in my front end, sounds like something is loose at moderate speeds or eneven surfaces. I checked the air filter box and it was tight. I am not sure if you meant the stabilizer links were on the BMW or Camry. Thanks!
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Member Posts: 101
    I replaced (or HAD replaced) the stabilizer links on the front ends of both the 325 AND the Camry. It cured the BMW, but had little effect on the Camry.
    Turned out the Camry rattle was more in the back end; we replaced the rear stabilizer bushings to cure THAT rattle.
    Guess I'll have to start slowing down for those speed bumps.
    Above makes incredible noises when going over normal bumps. A buckboard would be much smoother by comparison. Tires and shocks don't appear to be the problem. Maybe it is the car model. Toyota started building cr-p at about this time, culminating in the 2007 camry.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota AND Lexus upper front rubber shock/strut cushions/mounts are failing prematurely. Rubber compresses, is pushed aside, and then you have metal to metal contact with upward strut strokes.
    Does anyone know what kind of labor and cost are involved in fixing the noise caused by Toyota AND Lexus upper front rubber shock/strut cushions/mounts are failing prematurely. Rubber compresses, is pushed aside, and then you have metal to metal contact with upward strut strokes ?
    I have had this problem for a while and seems to be getting worse. Does Toyota admit the poroblem and will they flip for the bill?
    I have a 2007 v- 6 Camry
  • crtr884crtr884 Member Posts: 1
    check struts if leaking or damaged
    Hi Does anyone know the exact location of the oxygen sensor. I'm told this is down stream Bank 1 sensor 2 I'm also looking for the correct Denso OE part #

Has anyone replaces this sensor. I heard that the connector may connect in the console of the car which has to be taken apart.

Thanks for any info.

chuck
    Last weekend check engine light came on code read P0138 Bank 1 sensor 2 Oxygen sensor. I disconnected battery light went off but came back on after short drive. Disconnected 1 more time for 45 minutes and light has stayed off. I've driven only 30 miles this week. I'm thinking the light will come on again or did the problem resolve itself? I have a new sensor but waiting to have it installed until the check engine comes on again.

Any thought out there, thanks chuck
    Disconnecting the battery is not the correct way to clear codes on OBDII (1996 and later) vehicles. That's why the light comes back on. A code scanner is the proper way to clear codes on these vehicles. But if it stays off; you lucked out.
    Thanks Zanken, not sure if it will stay off. Wondering if you had any thoughts what triggered the light to come on in the first place. Can it be a dirty Oxygen sensor that cleaned it's self when heated up?

Thanks again, chuck