Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• kbondarkbondar Member Posts: 17
    The spider story is quite plausable, in fact. An example occurred here just last week--slightly different problem (and different spider)!!
    Spider got into the 220V contactor in our outside condensing unit (a home A/C unit). Caused a short, and fried the contactor. OAT was 95 F. and RH 90% at the time--not a good time for an A/C failure!!
    Bugs (the insect kind, that is) can and do a lot more damage than you give them credit for, sir.
    You can contribute it, and all the other "woes" you talk about to another subversive Toyota plot as much as you wish, but in this case you're dead wrong.
    The only "error" in this instance could be not describing the problem as "a blocked condensate drain line". That said, most people probably wouldn't understand what the tech was talking about. As well, why didn't this owner ask for more info if he/she was doubtful about the explanation given? Why wait until a computer was available to gripe about it in a cartalk forum??
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    bugs and little animals can do lot's of damage to vehicles and electricals. :sick: i'm with you 100%. i bet that was an expensive home A/C repair.

i apologize if my response seemed critical or that i was seemingly trying to correct anyone.

btw: my son informs me spiders are not insects. :D
  • frodo6frodo6 Member Posts: 16
    Does your car have a sunroof? My past car had a sunroof and the drain got clogged, so any water would drain into the cabin of the car.
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    I agree a manufacturing defect is more likely the cause. Remember, the Camry has an air filter in the air inlet, so the only two ways for an insect to crawl into the air conditionning system would be to find that small drain line under the car and crawl into it, or to enter the system through the recirculation opening from the cabin.
    right thanks, i was implying that it was probably an interesting story. happens. then again, it could be legit.

otherwise, the root cause could be a clogged sunroof drain, window or door seal, etc. so, if the pan drain has been serviced, and the floor gets wet again... there's something else to look at.

i'm not a paranoid / conspiracy theorist-bent engineer, but i do try to understand enough about my vehicle to make an assessment of whether a service manager or tech is dealing straight with me or not (specially when I have to pay for the repair).

but, even if I don't have to pay, since my wife couldn't care less, it's my responsibility to have knowlege of what's been done to the car and what might be a problem later.

i don't need to be an expert in all things, just better informed of what's really going on.

we've all heard "tall tales" from owners where what was said by the service rep couldn't possibly be true.
  • damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    I Have 10,000 miles on my 2007 Camry Se model and I hate the car. I am battling it out with Toyota about my Camry. I feel like I dont have any rights and I am stuck with this car.The car is just weird, I have hesitation some days and not other just really those days you need the power and it really hesitates on me, almost a saftey problem. And also the cruise control sucks, the car is always shifty gears never stays in 5th gear and even on some super hot days the car has a problem keeping up with 70mph. Well next week a Toyota rep is suppose to meet with me about my car that is if he can find the problem, But i was just wondering anybody out there in Camry land knows what i am talking about and how I feel about the whole thing? Thanks
    Plus I probley get 2 to 3 people a week asking me about my car and how I like it and I just started telling everybody I hate the car and I wouldnt ever buy another one. They are nice cars but they have serious issues with the drive train or just the computer I guess.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...my son informs me spiders are not insects."

Arachnids, not insects. Insects have six legs. Arachnids have eight. Be real nice to the kid. He's so smart he'll probably eventually be filthy rich. It'd be nice to be on his good side.
    I was just wondering if the hesitation or your camry has gotten better or worse. Thanks
  • gene22gene22 Member Posts: 34
    I have really avoided saying anything, but all I hear over and over is "This is not fair" (my wording).

Just because Toyota did something for another customer, they should not be obligated to do it for you. They made a choice in that situation. They are now at liberty to make a different choice in another situation. Agreed, they may not be making the right choice, but it should NOT be tied to what they did for others.

Would you feel better if they went back to those "other folks" and changed the deal so it matched yours?

What Toyota did with them has little to do with you.

Still, YOU have the choice to not do business with them, though it is sad to see the basis for the decision on Toyota not treating you the same as some other guy. Still, you can make your own choice.
  • ajbecker98ajbecker98 Member Posts: 1
    soooooo , 92 camry , 2.2 . out of oil and driven two blocks . ( not mine ) got the car back home and it will turn over but will not run . i have spark , nothing squeals or clanks . any ideas ?
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    I stand corrected.

I should have known it was easier to crawl into a drain tube only 3/8 of an inch in diameter with at least 8 legs.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The hesitation question is being hashed out here and elsewhere. Regarding the cruise control - that's a new one AFAIK - it's the same system that has been in millions of other Toyota's for 10+ yrs so you might have to explain that more.

Keeping up at 70 mph? That's also a new one. Both the 4c and the V6 are plenty powerful enough ( over-powered for many users ) at cruising speed so a little more explanation might be in order here also.
    I guess what I mean by cruise control for the car to keep it at a set speed it is always shifting from 3th 4th and 5th gear it is always shifting gears to keep it at the speed and it doesnt take much of a incline for it to shift.The car is hardly ever in 5th gear. Sometimes it is hard for the car to keep at 70mph it is almost like i am hauling a trailer or something. You can keep it going but it takes alot of gas and the tranny shifting alot up and down. The car didnt always do this. LIke i said i have 10,000miles on it. I was just wondering what toyota is doing about this because the dealerships dont know what to do
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    My '07 XLE 4 cyl. with 3,500 miles has no cruise control, hesitation or power problems.

I did 150 highway miles this afternoon at 75-77 mph with A/C on. 95% of the time in 5th gear but shifted down to 4th going up hills. 73 degrees outside. With 2 adults and golf clubs, 32.1 mpg indicated on the trip.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I have this same cruise control situation, with our 2007 4 cyl LE.

I've just recently started putting some serious highway miles on the car every weekend, and have experienced this issue of significant shifting between 5,4,3rd......even on relatively flat rolling interstates.

At first I thought the car was either underpowered (and/or overgeared) and didn't have enough HP (at the wheels) to overcome the 70mph wind resistance with the relatively slow RPM. But then I drove without the cruise, and if I drive gingerly on the accelerator, it will pretty much stay in 5th gear.....varying a couple mph. That leads me to suspect that the problem is that the cruise control is just too demanding for the available 4cyl HP. If it senses the speed is slowing, it applies continual additional throttle to catch up......forcing the car to downshift because of the throttle position. This keeps the car right at the speed selected, but at the cost of significant transmission shifting.

I did a short stint(not enough to be conclusive)cruising at 80mph, which obviously had a higher engine RPM, and it had less shifting. My guess is it's higher up the power/torque curve and the engine could deliver the needed power at the wheels.

I haven't tried cruising at 55 yet, it could be better because of less wind resistance, but could also be worse because of slower yet RPM (lower torque).

Also wanted to test it without the a/c on, to see how much of a difference that would make.
    gene22 you wrote:
    Still, YOU have the choice to not do business with them, though it is sad to see the basis for the decision on Toyota not treating you the same as some other guy. Still, you can make your own choice.

you realize, they made their choice, entered into a contract with a company by doing business with them, and now have a defective product to show for it.

by choice you mean they can sell their brand new vehicle at a loss and move on?
    if some people have no problem there while others do, sounds like a defective cruise control unit - plain and simple or ECU or TCM. don't know the level of integration there.

it would seem doubtful that your speed or the number of passengers in the vehicle should result in torque convertor lockup/unlock and shifting on flat-level roadways, be it at 55, 70 or 80.

that is a very odd observation.

while a manufacturer or service rep may claim situational hesitation and RPM flairing during up-shift is "normal" or by design (?), cruise control with erratic shifting is a very overt problem.

get the service manager in the car and take him/her on the highway for a good "cruise".
  • yorkdaneyorkdane Member Posts: 6
    Guess I'll pick up where I left off the last time.

I was bringing my car in for the manual computer/pressure test on the transmission, which by the way was done....the car was adjusted, cleared and reprogrammed. (Reprogrammed for the second time I might add) The car worked wonderfully for about 30 minutes, then back to the same, slipping...spiking, whatever.

I brought the car back the next morning. Apparently Toyota told my dealership they had several tests they needed them to conduct which would take 4 days, but told my dealership they would not pay for me a rental, nice customer service, huh?) Anyway, the dealership paid for the rental, and ended up with the car for a week and a half. They ended up replacing the valve body. I picked it up yesterday, and as soon as I was pulling out of the parking lot, same thing - slipping/spiking...whatever. I called the dealership, they are going to call Toyota.

I'm about as stressed out as a person can get, and I've had just about enough, so I will be sending all of my paperwork to the Texas Motor Vehicle Division this week to file a Lemon Law Complaint.

To those of you who haven't had any problems, I envy you. I love this car (except for the defect it has of course), and actually since it's loaded out, it's the nicest car I've ever owned, but I've had about all I can take. The dealership has had this car in their service department for almost the same amount of time I've owned it, which for anything you purchase is ridiculous.

:lemon:
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    It's apparent that the new Camry is having some problems, but this is somewhat expected with a new model. Personally, I would never buy a new model year vehicle - period. Even with the substantial amount of testing done by the manufacturer, owners always end up being the Beta testers for the car.

Historically, Toyota has always backed up their products very well. What I find interesting on this board is the apparent "head in the sand" attitude of salespersons and dealers. Saying it's "normal operation" just doesn't cut it for someone who just spent $20K+ on a vehicle, as there are other vehicles out there for equal to or less money that don't exhibit such behavior.

Adaptive automatic transmissions with fuzzy logic have been in use for over a decade without any major issues. Why Toyota is having this problem is a mystery, especially given their engineering expertise.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    My experience with cruise, especially with 4 or 5 transmission speeds, is that the car will readily downshift to maintain the exact set speed, even on slight upgrades. This is true for any car, but of course more so for 4-cylinder engines with less power.

On steeper grades, I will just cancel the cruise, because I can do a better job with my right foot to keep the tranny in a higher gear. Of course, I let my speed drop by 1-3 mph in the process, with the goal of maximizing fuel economy by minimizing downshifting.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I would only add to your well-reasoned discourse that 3rd gear is direct drive in the 5-sp automatics. 4th and 5th gears are progressively "longer" overdrive gearings, the latter of which will severely tax available torque in the I4 motor on any but the mildest of ascent grades.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    As a satisfied owner of an 05 Avalon, have been following the Camry (and Lexus) sites recently with great interest, looking for comments and problems with what is perceived to be transmission 'hesitation' problems - something that does exist on my car as well as many other Toyota products similarily equipped. My conclusion after 30k miles, is that these transmissions are working as they are designed to! The electronic programming is 'designed' to hold onto very high gear selections relative to vehicle speed causing multiple gear downshifts on sudden throttle reapplication. Hence the delay in gear selections. And further, the behavior is aggravated by a foot position on the throttle pedal itself that would foster any sort of all on/all off driving style.
    Why would Toyota want the trans to do this? How about that holy grail called the EPA ratings! It may be that simple - if Toyota wants to manufacture cars with class leading FE (which it does) then let's also keep gear selections as high as possible.
    The fix (and it is not really a fix) has been to change they way I drive slightly - keeping a nice even (but lighter) pressure with the ball of my foot on the throttle, the downshift then happens almost imperceptably, and after it does - it's 'Katy bar the door' and I can enjoy the wonderful power that the car has. Shifting the car manually will also, of course, work to avoid the gear hunts but certainly defeats the purpose of the AT in the first place.
    A neighbor just took delivery of a V6 XLE, and was not a happy camper. Drove with his toes on the accelerator and very much all-on and all-off style. Exactly what the tranny control programs have difficulty in handling. It was miserable for him- I took him out for a 'driving lesson' and while it took some adjustment on his part, he is now properly in love with what really is a wonderful car.
    Now we can get into a whole philosophical discussion of why we have to have computers in cars and why we must adjust to them as opposed to the other way around - or we can learn to live with it. I get 27 mpg overall on my 'sleeper' Avalon and would not be willing to sacrifice any of that economy or power that would, in many aspects, not be possible without those silly computers!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    I would only add to your well-reasoned discourse that 3rd gear is direct drive in the 5-sp automatics. 4th and 5th gears are progressively "longer" overdrive gearings, the latter of which will severely tax available torque in the I4 motor on any but the mildest of ascent grades.

You can say it but it is not fact.

Third gear is not direct drive!!! It is a 1.413 gear ratio.

Fourth gear is just a slight OD ratio - .975

The 5 speed manual has similar ratios.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    OK ray I'm going to throw you a curve since you seem to have a detailed knowledge of how these are put together. You can let it go by as they did last night in the HR Derby if you choose.

The Power Split Device ( PSD ) in the hybrids doesn't have any of these problems at all. It too is computer controlled and only 3 yrs old. What if any limitations are there that you know of in using the PSD in all autos whether hybrid or not?

You can reply in the Camry 2007 forum if you think this is too far OT.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Perhaps this is beginning to explain Toyota's recent lapse in engineering quality...

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/07/next_toyota_cor.html
    I truly believe your reasoning is absolutely correct, and the answer to the "problem" has more to do with driving style than electronics or mechanics.
    I think it's human for most folks to look immediately for the simplest answers to all problems--in the case of the perceived transmission "problem", it's got to be "the car" before any other possibility is considered.(case in point, the spider/condensate line thing--one complaint and it's quickly deemed by some to be a design flaw!)
    We have three vehicles in our family. One is a 06 Silverado--the most recent of 8 in an every two year Slverado purchase cycle--always the same model and same engine and eqipment, so any differences in every two years is readily noticeable to the driver.
    This one is different. Better gas mileage than previous several years-a 5.3L.-V8 every year. It shifts different at certain throttle levels--harsh if applied firmly, gentle if applied gently. Never did that on the previous 7 Silverados. The mileage we are getting with the tweaked engine and transmission is much better than ever before--averaging 26 and 28 mpg--a really good result from a fairly big V8 engine which didn't give more than 20 or 22 previously.
    Our 05Avalon is also different than the previous one--a 2000. It shifts more often, and shifts more noticeably with occasional spiking of about 1500 rpm, but mileage is significantly better also. Once one learns to expect certain results, one compensates and any differences soon become inoccuous.
    So I guess my point is tthat they may feel different, but that's not so bad when you consider the result--better mileage. Sure, there's some familiarization and change in how throttle application works, but once it's overcome, so far so good.
    BTW, the third vehicle is a 98 Corolla with over 220,000 miles. It's on the third kid now, and is still thumping along quite handily.
    Perhaps Toyota isn't neglecting quality at all. It could also be said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Corolla is a world standard when it comes to bulletproof.
    I think your analogy is way off. Please show how you arrived at the conclusion re any lapse in engineering quality. Some recent articles by SAE might challenge that statement!! (Your Avalon experience, as difficult as it might have been, really can't qualify as irrefutable proof, BTW!)
    I would agree with you on this it only does all the shifting when it is in cruise. Toyota told me that at 65mph the tranny is in between gears and at 80 or 85 the rpms are higher so the cruise insnt as bad. Does you camry have this same problem when you are slowing down and you go to turn and you go to give the car gas it seems like it takes a few minutes to downshift the gear you need then it will catch the right gear and jerk and take off. I have alot of power issues with my camry sometimes it has it some time major hesitation problems
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Don't need "proof". It was not just my Avalon. All these transmission concerns are enough anecdotal evidence that something is amiss at Toyota. They don't build 'em like they used to. Perhaps in their rush to be number one they are spreading their engineering resources too thin. Remember that the new Camry was rushed to market a year earlier than the usual 5 year model life span. Interestingly, the "new" Avalon was late but it has had more than its fair share of problems. Yes, some people do find it hard to believe that Toyota can mess up but if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and smells like a duck...
    Sure, Toyota messes up.So do all the others. Singling out Toyota as unique in this context is wrong headed. The good news is it's a fact that Toyota, plus a few other automakers don't mess up as much as most others. I respect your opinions, but I recognize that opinions alone aren't reality. Especially opinions with an element of bias.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "new Camry was rushed to market a year earlier than the usual 5 year model life span"

I don't believe the Camry was "rushed to market a year earlier..."

Last gen. camry started in 2002...

02, 03, 04, 05, 06 Five model years.
    I think it's human for most folks to look immediately for the simplest answers to all problems--in the case of the perceived transmission "problem", it's got to be "the car" before any other possibility is considered.(case in point, the spider/condensate line thing--one complaint and it's quickly deemed by some to be a design flaw!)

i nor no one else called the design of the evaporator pan drain line a design flaw. the point was the improbability of a spider causing a new vehicle to have a clogged drain and lots of water on the front footwell.

more likely, it was a hose kink (happens a lot), or a hose that was not connected properly and slipped off, or didn't exit the firewall properly. did you notice we were concentrating on the "story" side of it, not the fact that a spider isn't capable of climbing up a hose and spinning its web, in a brand new vehicle, tightly to the point that the hydro-static pressure of the water in the evap pan couldn't overcome it.

geesh.

the hesitation and rpm flairing doesn't happen to everyone. is it the car, driver or both?

point is, toyota (nor any other manufacturer - i personally don't want to single out toyota... i don't want others to claim i'm responsible for hysteria, alterior motives or agendas, conspiracy theories or poor engineering logic) should be introducing design artifacts that conflict with basic human factors principles and cause and effect learning which has been acquired by the human brain since pre-birth.

there's good reasons why people who have this "problem" report it as a safety concern to them.

toyota is aware of this, but the newer models have not fixed it.

engineering shortage or not, maybe they should wait on the corolla re-design till they have the drivetrain issues worked out. that is a sincere statement.

the corrolla is a bread-and-butter product for them.

[[my '95 corrolla was virtually flawless and served me and my family economically and reliably for 8yrs with minimal amount of problems (just 2 alternators)]].
    the answer to the "problem" has more to do with driving style than electronics or mechanics.
    kbondar- I didn't exactly say that - rather that particular driving styles would aggravate the problem - not cause it. Toyota has acknowledged a 'software issue' issue with the 5 speeds, and as it appears from some user comments here and elsewhere - the problem may also be there on the 6 speed. And the fact is, that there are some mfgrs. out there (including Toyota's two biggest competitors that deal with these new electronic trannys in a more seamless manner - albeit at the expense of a mpg or two or three. The main point of the post, I guess - the transmissions are working as Toyota has designed them to work for reasons, I think are related to FE - and things like this will be more and more common as this technology continues to 'invade' our cars.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is about issues with 2007 Camry. We are not talking about Avalons, Corollas or any other vehicle.

Please find the appropriate discussions for your issues. If you need help finding one, just drop me an email - I'll be glad to help.
  • mesquite57mesquite57 Member Posts: 59
    "the transmissions are working as Toyota has designed them to work for reasons, I think are related to FE (Fuel Economy)"

kbondar,

While strange, or unexpected, transmission behavior is most likely related to software control of the transmission for FE reasons, that could not possibly explain the 3rd to 4th RPM spiking issues seen by several of us 2007 V6 Camry owners. The engine racing up 500 to 2500 RPMs between (only those two) gears then dropping back down with a steady accelerator pedal cannot improve fuel economy.
    good point.

in the other models, the hesitation seems to be linked to the design of the accelerator pedal assembly since placing more of the foot on the pedal increases responsiveness, there's probably compliance and even possibly a dead-spot on the low end of the sensor where the direction and amount of force applied to the mechanicals inpacts the signal sent to the ECU.

as for the spiking, perhaps (again) the sensor (accelerator or throttle position) has a non-linearity in mid travel...

perhaps the throttle controlled by a motor or servo (i admit to not knowing) has a motor / servo issue.

maybe the problem with the spiking comes down not to firmware or driver style or new transmission configuration but to production quality issues associated with a bad sensor, motor/servo or mechanical coupling issues in the throttle body or accelerator pedal.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    To each their own, but with other six speeds already out on the market by other manufacturers (not having "spiking" and other issues), I would deem driver retraining as an unacceptable alternative to a crowd that has paid a premium for 'Toyota quality'. Any Tom, Dick, or Mary should be able to hop into any new 6 speed Camry and not experience spiking, much like they can already hop into any simple 6 speed Ford Five Hundred and not experience spiking.
  • jerryjaijerryjai Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone experienced this issue. My XLE V6 leather seats get extremely hot when I leave my car out in the sun. I use a sun-shade for my front windshield, and have tint on my front, rear windows (35% on the front and 18% on the back) as well as the rear windshield.

I also leave my windows slightly open to help air circulation, but for some reason my car gets extremely hot within a couple of hours in the sun. I have checked to see if the seat heater button was not depressed by mistake. It was not.

Have other XLE owners experienced this?

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Given the increased slant of the front and back windows--in the name of style--the solar gain on the new Camry must be very high. I guess Toyota can now advertise that the new Camry is a hot car that looks cool. :D

Unfortunately, auto makers know that most people choose looks over functionality when making their buying decisions. So that's how they design cars these days.

Other than using more effective sun-shades, or darker window tint, you've few options to overcome a design guaranteed to concentrate the sun's rays on interior of your car.
    referencing a 500 road test/comparo from C&D, 7-2005 - the 6 speed in that car was reviewed to have noticeable problems with 'gear hunting'. Agree with you, however, that these electronic control systems should be transparent - but, this is not always the case and some 'misbehavior' is certainly not limited to Toyota products.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Not sure but, are the XLE leather seats the "perforated" type? Most "luxury" cars today are being sold with the perforated leather seats which allows for ventilation of the leather surfaces. Our 2007 SE V6 has the cloth, but our other car, an Infiniti G35 has the perforated leather and they are never really hot from the sun! When we bought the SE, I did notice that here in Canada, the SE V6 with leather had the perforated seats.
    Hope this answers your question.
    jerryjai,

On hot seats in the XLE V6.

I haven't noticed excessive heat gain in my XLE

1. One other person noted that there is more glass exposed due to the aerodynamics.
    2. The sunscreen in the back isn't going to prevent much solar gain over a few hours parked in the sun.
    3. If you have a dark colored car (mine is magnetic gray (dark) with light gray interior) you are going to get somewhat more heat gain because the insulation in the roof and doors isn't perfect.
    4. If you have dark colored interior leather you will also see more heat gain in the leather even with tinted windows.
    5. You also have a sunroof with glass...another place for solar gain.

I live in Tucson, AZ and use an opaque, reflective sunscreens on my windshields and my cars have always been hot inside (about 150 degF) at 4:30PM. I also have tinted windows (a necessity here) But I haven't noticed that it's unusually hot inside.

Recommendations and Lessons Learned from the desert:
    1. Make sure you don't wear short, shorts so you don't burn your legs.
    2. Try to orient the car so that the sun isn't hitting your drivers seat when you get in after the car has been in the sun all day. That is the worst case.
    3. Most important...open all windows upon entering the car. This lets the hot air out quickly and helps the A/C cool the car quicker.
    4. You might also try putting a white towel on your seat to prevent solar heat gain if the sun is hitting the seat directly (even through your tinted windows.)
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I'd say Toyota was giving you baloney. Sounds like the the 5th gear is designed for 80-85 mph. Hmm... how many states have 80 mph speed limit? There is probably less than 5 states and that speed is only allowed on the interstate. It is nonsense to design a gear for speed that is illegal in most states.

You dealer is either too lazy to debug the problem or simply lack the knowledge to fix the transmission.
    A toyota rep is going to meet up with me next week to look at my camry. I already have had it at two different dealerships about the problem. One dealership excepted my complaint and just said yes we are hearing issues about this problem but all camry 4cyls are doing this. So I test drove two other camrys and my hesitation is more advanced than the two I test drove,and I had one service tech there that new want i was talking about because he drove a se model that was doing the same thing. So he told me to disconnect the negative cable from the battery which I did.And it did work for about two weeks. During the two week period I also had appointment with another dealership to look at my car and they couldnt get it to do it either could I. SO I guess I have two questions One is why does it not do it all the time? and Two what do I do if they wont fix it or they cant fix it? Thanks
    damon34 - do yourself a favor and review perhaps the thousands of posts on the subject on the Toyota Avalon 2005+ Edmunds site - review the posts of a contributor we had over there, 'alan_s'. His struggles with his 5 speed now almost legendary and well documented - but, you will certainly find out that this is nothing new.
  • jerryjaijerryjai Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I have a black XLE with light grey seats. Black being a perfect absorber would lead to higher solar absorbtion.

I have a friend who has a black Accord with Leather seats and his car seats never get very hot.

I'm not sure what the difference is in the leather seats used by Honda vs. Toyota.

My 2005 corolla with cloth seats does not half as hot as my camry.
    jerryjai,

It could also be the difference in density of the leather used in the Camry vs. the Accord. A more dense (heavier) leather is going to hold the heat more and you will feel it more and for a longer period of time. As someone else pointed out the perforated leather seats on some of the luxury and sports cars is inherently less dense so they are going to feel cooler. The SE with leather has such a seat material. Solid leather vs. perforated leather of the same type will feel cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Makes you wonder if the automakers, in an attempt to take that leading next step, have gone too far by coming out with the six speed. For that matter, they may as well switch over to 100% Continuously Variable Transmissions. Trouble is, the automakers have done consumer tests and discovered that people are accustomed to having shift points. If you approach a CVT with an open mind, it doesn't take long to see the benefits. Tried it in a rental Freestyle, and it's great. Good luck with your car.
  • comuscomus Member Posts: 24
    Well, I have to say,would you believe a new Toyota Le customer drove his new 2007 Camry LE 4 cylinder, off the show room floor in July 06, and 15 miles later the transmission went out. Now, keep in mind, I drove my 2007 XLE Camry off the showroom floor several weeks ago and three hundred miles later my transmission went out. The outcome remains to be seen. Toyota has always stepped up to the plate. We shall see what comes down the road.