Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Whistling sound woes!

jarmendijarmendi Member Posts: 2
I have a 2000 explorer that seems to have a whistling sound that is getting progressively worse.It used to come on solely when the A/C came on but now starts up every single time.I had it checked out by a mechanic in the family whom assumed it was related to the air filter/hose.Sound went away temporarily but has returned and will not go away.I am hoping that someone has experienced similar problems and can shed some light on this annoying deffect.Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The best way to get feedback from owners is to post your message in Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer or Ford Explorer: Problems & Solutions where they will see it.

tidester, host
  • jschei1jschei1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Explorer V6 and was experiencing a whistling sound after I turned off my engine for 3-5 seconds. The sound was coming from the manifold/master cylinder area by the firewall.

PCV valve - whistling noise after engine turned off

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and had been experiencing a "whining, whistling" type sound for 3-5 seconds after turning off my engine. It came from the drivers side, by the firewall, around the manifold and master cylinder. By the way, the car has about 60k miles on it. I talked to my local Ford guy and he found a bulletin in Ford's computer system stating that the PCV valve was the cause and it could be replaced but would not fix the problem. I purchased the PCV valve anyway for about 7 dollars and decided to replace it myself. It took awhile and alot of hoses removed to find the exact spot (by the firewall, at the drivers side end of the valve cover closest to the firewall). It can be reached without removing anything else except a few inches of hose. One end of the hose connects right above the valve cover to some plastic piece. The PCV valve can be removed by turning a half turn counter clockwise and pulling out. The new PCV valve just gets pushed in, turned clockwise and reconnect the hose. With this 7 dollar part I was able to stop the whistling noise and my explorer is fixed. FYI I never had a check engine light or other signal that there was an issue. Ford also stated that this issue does not effect the operation of the vehicle. Hope this helps.
  • kwccorbkwccorb Member Posts: 5
    Jarmendi,

I'm wondering if you ever found out the source of the whistling problem. I've had a similar problem with my 1998 Explorer (4.0) for a couple of years. It is worse in the summer time (hot Georgia days) when the A/C is running. It will sometimes choke the engine down at idle speed. I personally think it has something to do with some kind of oxygen starvation as the result of an electronic sensor, but no one has given me an official diagnosis.

If you find out anything about it I'd sure like to know. I'll post any info. I can find as well.

KWCCORB
  • lizardpielizardpie Member Posts: 1
    I have an annoying whistle (actually sounds more like a flute) sound that happens only when the outside temp is HOT (90+ degrees F) and I'm travelling 70+ mph. I have a 2002 XLT V6.

It ocassionally happens at lower speeds also, but usually just for a second or so. Granted, it's not always this hot in Los Angeles and I don't always drive this fast so I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of the sound...until now.

We're having a heat wave right now and I had to drive up to San Francisco over the weekend. The outside temp was 100+ the entire trip so I had to endure 6 hours of this noise.

The sound is coming from the driver side door jam around the upper portion of the window. When the sound is audible a vibration can be felt on the black rubber trim that's on the interior side of the door jam (car frame) half way up the window.

I also found that I could muffle the sound a little by pushing my palm against the top corner of the door jam where the plastic interior trim stops and the roof cloth begins.

At one point I stopped to see if there was something visibly apparent that was causing it. I noticed that the weather stripping along the door and door jam has equally spaced holes along it's length. I covered these with duct tape, but the sound continued when I got back on the road.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm assuming that something is expanding in the heat and the airflow over the expanded area is causing the noise, but who knows? I'd be happy if I could just plug up this "gap" with a rag to stop the noise.

I did take this to the dealer a couple of years ago when I first noticed it and it was still under warranty. At that time the sound was more intermittent and the dealer said they couldn't find anything.
  • tmason73tmason73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I also have a 2002 Explorer XLT V6 and I have experienced this sound as well.

I have only owned this SUV for a few months and was quite puzzled when I first heard it. Not knowing what was triggering it I couldn't reproduce it. At first I thought it was the AC because it was on when I first heard it, then I thought it may have something to do with my speed and finally figured out that I only heard it on really hot days here in GA (90F +) I've heard this sound traveling at only 55 mph. So far it has been inconsistent, sometimes it will whistle (actually its much deeper than a whistle)steadily for 5 min. then go away completely and other times it will intermittently come and go through out out a trip. Since I've only had this truck for such a short time I have not had the pleasure of taking it on a 6 hr. trip yet but I see what I may have to look forward to.
  • mylastford2002mylastford2002 Member Posts: 1
    This along with with other body issues is quite common for the 2002 - 2003 models. The Plastic trim peice at the base of the mirror will separate from the door making a great whistle at mid to high speeds. Simple fix at any body shop. It took me three months to figure out this problem, but now its fixed.

Have you had any other body issues with your explorer?
    Clear coat issues?
    Back tailgate cracked?
  • chris89883chris89883 Member Posts: 3
    its your airbox! i have a 98 explorer 4.0 with the same problem, but an aftermarket filter on it (no airbox) and it worked
  • lagereklagerek Member Posts: 3
    Hi!
    Got an Explorer 2000, limited.
    Like another post here Ive got a whistling and sort of grinding sound, I think its coming somewhere from the wheels or brakes.
    trouble is, sometimes you can hear it when driving and whitout braking. Could it be the hand-brake faulty perhaps?
  • lagereklagerek Member Posts: 3
    Hi!
    Interesting! Im European, so when you say an aftermarket airbox, exactly what do you mean? ( got this noise problem myself on a 2000 limited model )
    thanks lagerek
  • polomartinezpolomartinez Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a Ford Explorer 01 sports trac, I've been hearing a whistle around the fuel tank area for about two weeks now. and it only does it while the engine is on (the noise is made whether the car is parked or running).
    Has someone figure this out? Please help!!!
  • stollettstollett Member Posts: 1
    my explorer that is an 03 has the same crack in the back. I have seen several others with the same thing.
  • pellypelly Member Posts: 1
    Hi my wife has a 1999 explorer XL with a 4.0 L OHV engine 4 door 4X4. when the temp. outside gets warmer there is a whistling or flute type of noise coming from the airbox/intake hose. Sometimes if it is very hot outside it will continue to make the noise after the vehicle has been turned off for a short period of time. I have had the Ford dealership inspect it and several other mechanics. They can't seem to find the source of the problem. It only makes the sound in warm temperatures never in a cold winter climate. I purchased the vehicle for her brand new and only has 45,000 Km's. I also have replaced the orig. air filter with a K&N after market. Did nothing. Any suggestions?
  • chris4973chris4973 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem but not as bad. I think its called a hoot valve and it will get louder as it starts to fail. Mine screams while in idle but goes away after I give it the gas. I will have to replace this valve and currently investigating what the true name of the part is and where it is located. I will keep you updated on findings.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    cracked rear hatch panel is a common problem.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ctlectle Member Posts: 4
    Have you figured out what the name of the valve is? If so, have you replaced it and did it work? How much was the part to replace? I have the same exact problem as you. Please help me. I'm so frustrated.

Thank you.
    My 1999 Ford Explorer just started to make a loud humming noise. The weather is in the upper 90's and it just started to make that noise. The noise comes and goes. It seems to stop making the noise when I press on the gas pedal but makes it when the car is cruising or idle. Does anyone know what the problem would be and how much it would be to get it fixed?

Please help.

Thank you.
  • matic777matic777 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing, it seems to be ISC valve (Idle Speed Control).
    you can remove the idle speed control valve & spray cleaner through it.

Step by step here:
    link title
    Thanks sooo much matic777. Unfortunately I was too scared to wait for an answer and ended up paying a mechanic $160 to get if fixed.
  • fordx1fordx1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 99 explorer. What did you find wrong with yours??
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4763388_clean-idle-air-control-valve.html

it was a valve that needed to be either cleaned or replaced. The above link will take you step by step to clean it if you don't want to spend the $ on fixing it.
    Good luck
  • maniac_951maniac_951 Member Posts: 1
    my 96 ford explorer is making a air noise only when i press on the gas but when i come to a complete stop the noise goes away it been doing that for like 8 monthes already and this place said it was the differential but wouldnt the differential go out already right and other people are telling me different iam so pissed that noise makes my car sound like crap it sound some what like a blow dryer i just want answers plz get back to me asap plz iam so tired of that stupuied noise lo thankz :)