Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Veracruz

Comments

• craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    mjb56,

what was wrong with your seat track that required it to be replaced? I have noticed that on our '08, the drivers side seat occassionally will shift ever so slightly when braking hard. It also feels to me like the seat list's to the left a little.

Craig
    '08 Veracruz Limited
  • lemonesqlemonesq Member Posts: 6
    I've been waiting in the wings to buy a new Veracruz, but have been curious if Hyundai was going to do anything different in 2009 that might make me want to wait until those arrive. Like maybe improve the gas mileage? I heard rumors about a diesal coming, but since diesal fuel is even more expensivethan gasoline, and since I do not know the if it will be of the quality or longevity of other diesals (like the usually indestructible Mercedes diesals), I doubt its introduction will not make alot of difference to most of the public, including me.

Anyone know when the 2009 Veracruz will be introoduced and if it will have any new features?
  • cruzin3cruzin3 Member Posts: 10
    Well, it's official...they can't fix my car. I have to push the shift-lock override to get it out of park or back into park and my fuel economy has dropped to twelve. The dealer told me not to bother bringing it back because they can't fix it and Hyundai is making me go through the BBB Auto Line to file a complaint and enter arbitration even though I qualify under both of the "or" statements in my states lemon laws (the dealer can't fix it and it spent over 30 days in the first year being repaired). I was going to buy the Genesis for my wife, but after this I will never buy a Hyundai again.
  • lemonesqlemonesq Member Posts: 6
    What state are you in? Some states, like Va., make arbitration optional.
    I am in Nevada. I have looked up the law and it's very clear that I qualify and gives them one of two options, but Hyundai will not even negotiate with me without using the BBB Autoline. I am going to try this and if it does not work, I will get a lawyer. Hyundai has not been helpful at all.
  • ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    Craig,

I, too, had to get my driver's seat track replaced. I actually brought my Veracruz in one day because the seat wouldn't recline. It was kind of funny because they got the reclining to work that day, but I had to wait several days to get the track shipped for replacement. I guess they're connected in some way??? :confuse:

BTW, when I got my Veracruz in April of 2007, I also felt my seat "shift ever so slightly" when braking hard. I guess I came to ignore it. I don't think the seat track replacement had any effect, though I may be wrong.
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    After 27,000 miles, have you had any durability problems with vinyl on side arm rests? After 15,000 miles, the leather grain surface is gone in small areas on my door arm rests. I rented a Sonata Limited on Monday for a business trip with 11,000 miles and the arm rest vinyl felt much thicker and probably more durable than my Veracruz.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    They just said a track was bad so it felt like the seat shifted, or on occasion, like a motor was loose underneath. It's fine now. Very solid.
    No, not really. I've had nothing that looks like premature wear anywhere. I wish the carpet/fabric in the rear cargo area was a bit more plush, as I haul my golf clubs and other stuff and that area seems to take a beating a bit more than I'd like. The rest seems fine, though.
    I am going to arbitration with Hyundai soon over my Veracruz...14,000 miles and falling apart. My car throws an internal brake switch which shuts off the ESC and won't allow the car to shift out of park. I've also had several fuel pumps and now a new engine pulley. The dealer has been very good at working with me, but the manufacturer's representatives have been horrible. They consistently try to underplay/ undervalue my concerns and lie about what their told. They previously had my car for a total of 18 days to repair this problem and came to the conclusion that it can't be fixed; yet, Anita tells me that it is a minor problem and no big deal. I speak to the service manager who advises her to replace it and she tells me that they don't have any concern. I am just frustrated with their lack of customer service. As a result this is my first Hyundai and will be my last.
  • bikermombikermom Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to see if anyone is having similar problems, and if so, what they had to do to resolve them.

About 3 months ago I found that if I moved the car too quickly into Drive, the ESC light would come on. In order to turn it off, I had to restart the car, and then sloooowly move the gearshift into Drive.

Then about 6 weeks ago I noticed that the car was revving any time I had to stop (stoplights, traffic jams, etc.) I would watch the needle go up about 1-2 clicks above the line...and you could hear it revving. If you took your foot off the brake, it wanted to move forward much more quickly than usual.

Last week we took it to the dealership to get repaired. We are at 21,500 miles, so we had an oil change and they kept it for 3 days to try and diagnose the issue. They finally gave it back to me and said that because it seems to rev worse with the AC on, just keep that in mind and don't use your AC too much...but that it isn't affecting the performance of the car or burning extra fuel.

Then tonight, as we slowed to a stop for a stop sign, we had a tremendous CLUNK right after coming to a full stop, and the car lost all power. Lights were on, but you could floor it and there was...nothing. It was a long arduous drive home as you can imagine...the car would seem to reset itself if we turned it off at each stoplight etc., but then would hit around 40mph and lose power again. Like I said, a loong drive home.

So has anyone dealt with a similar issue yet? I'm ready to unload the car right now...I have kids and can't have a car that I can't trust. Fyi, it's a 2007 Veracruz, which we bought in June of 2007.

Thanks for any and all feedback,
    LPB
    The ESC issue is supposed to be a brake light switch. The dealer has had my car for a total of 26 days to repair this issue so far and it came back already. They keep doing the same exact thing to fix it and it keeps coming back...isn't that the definition of insanity- doing the same exact thing and expecting a different outcome. Don't let this problem go, my car will eventually not shift from park or back past neutral without depressing the shift lock bypass switch...it's really annoying and almost got me killed when it happened as I tried to make a 3-point turn.

The other issue is probably the fuel pump. I have had four so far. My first fuel pump caused my care to stall while driving between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. My third caused the same surging feeling. The car would also have problems starting...it would crank excessively before turning over. In my latest stint, I kept having the problems and they couldn't find them when I got to the dealer. It turns out that my symptoms fit a pattern that they had seen before and they put in a fuel pump with 2nd generation counter-measures to correct the problem. You might want to ask about it.
  • nrzjagonrzjago Member Posts: 17
    YEP! Same problem. Car has 12,000 miles on it - noticed ESC light sometimes would come on - sometimes turn off. No big deal! It would reset after car turned off. Last Friday driving home from work - heard a CLUNK - the "check engine" light illuminated. Accelerate and car would just coast. Got it home and took to dealer Friday morning. They had it all day and called to tell me it had 7 codes and they have fixed some of them - need to replace a switch and they will order it - it will take a few days but car is ok and safe to drive. Picked it up and within ten miles ended up with same "check engine" light and no power in the middle of traffic. Ended up getting towed by Hyundai to dealership (in the right at 8 pm!). They kept car and I fought for a loaner - because they were negligent in releasing a vehicle as "safe and ok to drive" when they didn't even drive it one mile! (check odometer before and after! WOW). They paid for rental - I picked my Veracruz today and it is an ETC actuator and ESC brake switch. They replaced the the ESC switch which is supposed to be the problem. Have it back for only a few hours - will keep you posted. By the way - the mechanic explained it is a "limp home mode" that the car goes into. It means it can be driven a short distance and the mode the vehicle will put itself into if there is a problem. It lets you make it a short distance without causing harm to the vehicle.

Good Luck....
  • frankwinefrankwine Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had a problem with the Veracruz's wiper motor? I have a 2007 Veracruz which I bought in January 08...too good a deal to pass at the time...cost as much as a fully loaded CRV. I've only owned Honda cars...never had any problems. However, the wiper motor has been the beginning of a string of problems.

One month after my purchase...during the seasons biggest snow storm in Montreal...the wipers stopped working as I was trying to get back home. I had no choice but to continue driving home as I was stuck on the highway; 10 minutes away from home...lucky to make it home safely.

The following day I brought my Veracruz to the dealer to repair the wipers. When I explained what happened...I was told that I might have forced the wipers too much and probably damaged the wiper motor...and how lucky I was to get the motor replaced via the warranty. Not the kind of customer service that I expected.

One month later while travelling to Philadelphia via the Adirondacks on I-87...the engine got stuck in 6th gear...while going up a mountain. I had to pull over to the nearest exit and stopped the car. After restarting the car, everything seemed to return back to normal.

Once I got to Philly, the engine got stuck in 3rd gear. Luckily, there was a Hyundai dealership close by and they resolved the problem within a day...apparently is was a problem with the fuse. I encountered nothing but excellent service at that dealership (Sussman's)...and had no problems using my warranty although my car was from Canada.

Yesterday, on my way back home from a holiday in South Carolina, my wipers ceased again...half an hour into my trip (which takes 18 hours). Due to the high humidity and heat outside...there was a mist on my windshield and when I turned on the wipers...the just ceased...at 4:00 am in the morning. I had remembered a family member mentioning a Rain-X product that you could apply to your windshield to bead off rain. Luckily, the was no rain for the next 3 hours and I found a Wal-Mart along the road. I applied Rain-X and just in time...as I experienced on and off rain throughout the remaining 15 hour drive.

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealer to repair the wipers this Tuesday. Any words of advice. Should I also point out that the suspension makes a terrible squeaking sound when going over minor bumps...or will they blow me off again. Is this a :lemon: ?

Not a happy camper... :mad:
    Just turned 30K mi on my 07 GLS AWD. No issues to report other than a track on the drivers seat being replaced. Still smooth, solid and comfortable. Fabrics holding up well. Continues to be a great vehicle.
  • jhsmith007jhsmith007 Member Posts: 5
    My 2007 Veracruz limited had a check engine light come on on 8/20. The car jolted and vibrated and would not accelerate. I was advised by the local dealer the car had a throttle warning code 2106, but that it cycled through and was fine without repair, after the dealer test drove it for 30 miles.

The car was driven with no issues until it ocurred again yesterday, 9/17. This time I was told the following errors appeared:

2135 - Throttle Body

I was advised a Service Bulletin had been issued to dealers in February for this, and they were replacing the Throttle Body unit, which would take care of everything. The dealer stated they had replaced the unit on 3-4 cars to date and that it took care of the issue I was having.

I am not happy. We will see if this resolves the issue.
  • graf2graf2 Member Posts: 2
    I was amazed to read what happened to you is precisely what happened to me yesterday! I have a 2007 Veracruz with nearly 12,0000 miles and I was slowing down to a stop sign and I also heard a very loud clunk , shuddering and then no power... the check engine came on along with another light. I pulled over a couple times and turned off the engine. It ran sluggishly all the way home... ( a very nerve wracking ride). I had it towed to the dealer this afternoon and reported that I saw similar issues reported on this site. Also, noticed the engine seemed to be reving a few weeks before. They are going to check it tomorrow. I hope that the problem is solved. Very scary!!
  • graf2graf2 Member Posts: 2
    Car was fixed today:

Problem codes; p2106 throttle actuator control system force limit power
    p2195 throttle actuator control system malfunction
    p2135 throttle position sensor switch A/B Voltage correlation

Replaced ETC Actuator and Gasket . We'll see if this is the solution.

Good luck!
  • jbhauserjbhauser Member Posts: 4
    My wife had the same experience with her '07 Veracruz that was purchased in Feb '08. It only has about 7500 miles. The engine had been surging during downshifts for several months. While accelerating from a stoplight the engine "clunked" and then she had no power while moving forward. She waited for me to come to help for about 20 minutes and left the car running. I shut the car off and checked the gas cap. It was no on tight so I gave if a few turns. I figured with the newer cars a loose gas cap may cause a problem with the computer and the fuel supply.

I then drove it to Auto Zone and they diagnosed the throttle body error. The surprising thing was that the light turned off once we left Auto Zone and AZ did not reset the code because I wanted the dealer to see it. The car then ran for over a week and a half with no noticeable problems.

Then the same issue occurred again when moving forward from a stop light. This time the car did not recover and was towed into the dealership.

It was diagnosed as a throttle body issue and a replacement part was ordered. The service manager said that the vehicle had entered the "limp home" mode and that was the reason for the lack of power.

I will post an update once I get the vehicle back with all the codes and parts replaced.
    I got the Veracruz back today. The same codes as one of the previous posts - P2106, P1295, P2135 - internal damage to the throttle body. THe part number replaced was 35100-3C200 - ETC-actuator. Dealer was very helpful and had a loaner for the duration of the service.

I drove the car in traffic for over an hour and it seems to be running well.

Keeping my fingers crossed since we have a long trip to Florida planned this December.
  • indysabreindysabre Member Posts: 42
    Sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having with the fuel system/ engine.

Is there any maunfacture date at which these problems were resolved?

Are the engine / fuel problems very wide spread?

We just bought a demo 2008 FWD limited manufactured 3/28/08.

It drives great and we love the car but now I have to wonder??

We were in a hurry to buy and the price was right. I read up a lot but missed this thread before buying :(
    A TSB was issued for this particular problem. It looks as though the revised TSB originated in Feb 2008. If I read the service bulletin correctly, this only applies to some '06 and some '07 models. It does not mention any '08s.

Even with this problem, my wife feels this is the best vehicle she has ever owned.

I hope you enjoy your '08.
    On top of every other electrical issue I've had with my car, now the alarm stopped turning off. The dealer has had my car for over two weeks, putting it up tho almost two months in the fifteen months I've owned my car. They had to replace several modules on my car including my instrument cluster. Now my mileage isn't correct, it only reads forty miles. This car is a piece of junk!
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    There were no 2006 Veracruz, you must mean other Hyundai models from the 2006 year.
  • ksmigelksmigel Member Posts: 56
    My best friend's wife owns an '07 Veracruz and just had the same problem I just read about here - her Veracruz just died while she was driving it, and I think he said she only has 13,000 miles on it.

He said that she had no problems with it other than a dash light intermittent issue, and then, it began to shudder when she would come to stops for a while, with an erratic idle, but it wouldn't stall.

Then, all of a sudden, the motor died while she was driving on a 45 mph roadway.

They had to tow it to the dealer and he's still waiting word on what the exact problem is.

I'll post the results when I get a chance to ask him about it next week.

I was reading through here, because we were considering a Veracruz instead of a passenger car when I saw a few advertised specials for just about 22k.

Don
  • ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    Just recently got myself an 08 Veracruz LTD. I'm crossing my fingers and toes in the hopes that those throttle problems won't appear...

I've been waiting for a paper-based purchase survey that I'd usually get directly from Hyundai, but haven't get one yet (I purchased 4 Hyundais previously). I received these "survey calls from Hyundai," but they all had local numbers on them and so was wary to respond to their surveys. Has Hyundai stopped sending out paper-based surveys? Is Hyundai letting the dealership fill out paper-based surveys for the customers? :confuse:
    I will warn anyone against buying a Veracruz or a Hyundai for that matter. Mine breaks down all the time and Hyundai just says it's not their problem. I even found out recently that I don't qualify for the towing anymore because it has broken down so often, HUH!?!? Well, Hyundai repaired my alarm, but somewhere along the way they changed out the instrument cluster, including the odometer. Now, my 07 Veracruz with 17k miles is only worth $11k, and once again Hyundai says it's not their problem. I hate Hyundais...period!
  • mhedquistmhedquist Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 2008 Veracruz Limited. Manufactured date is 12/07.
    The base list price on the sticker for the 08' Limited model was $34,050. Currently it is now $34,195. Why did the list price go up during the same model year? Was there a second release of the model with additional features? Freight also went up.

Any insight anybody?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai and other automakers often make price adjustments during a model year. For example, it also happened on the 2009 Sonata, and has happened on other Hyundai models in the past.

The $145 increase represents a bump of 4/10 of one percent.
  • mhedquistmhedquist Member Posts: 8
    I am surprised that they would increase the price, (if truely no additional features)
    considering that sales for the Veracruz have been consistently under expectations for Hynundia. Now they are slashing price with 4K rebate. Doesnt seem to make logical business sense.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    the increase in price was probably due to the higher fuel costs affecting shipping/manufacturing when oil was above $100/bl.....I own a senata which has been a TERRIFIC vehicle, however, we are coming to the end of our 2 year lease and was thinking about a Veracruz. Ive taken two for test drives and I just luv em. Right now with the economy the way it is i can pick up a new nicely equipped GLS for $20,500. When i purchased my sonata back in 2007 there was NO WAY i could even come close to this price with the best price i could get was upper 20's. I might just have to get one this time around........
  • p885p885 Member Posts: 5
    Have a 08 Veracruz and am having the same problem. Hyundai can not correct it and says it is normal. Have filed with the Lemon Law. How have you made out?
    Posted recently have a 2008 with the same problem as you and simagic,ver7 and you. Have been back to hyundai constantly and hae been told there is nothing that can be done. Have now turned it over to the Athorney Generals office as a lemon law for Arbitration have you be able to resolve your problem??
    Have the exact same problem with my 2008 Vera cruz Limited. Have been back to Hyundai and have had their reps here . They can not fix it and I have resorted to filing for the Lemon Law in florida. It is now with the Attorney Generals office I have asked if anyone else is having the same problem . I know about Vera 7 and rottencar. Hope you can help or tell me how to fix the problem
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    I just test drove a 09 VC Ltd AWD and noticed a vibration in the chassis when maintaining speed at about 40 mph and 1600 RPM. As soon as I touched the accelerator, vibration disappeared. Salesman said it could be snow or ice in the wheels, but I've had that happen many times, and it was not the problem. I checked the wheels and they were clear of any ice or snow.

Is this a known problem for the VC? If so, is there a fix? Felt really cheap, and if this is a known problem, I just may stay away from this vehicle.

thanks.
    Good luck...I tried the lemon law out here and they were given a 30 day window to fix my car...it lasted 45 days so I got nothing. In the process of fixing my car, they changed the odometer and now it is only worth about half of its previous value. The dealer and everyone has refused to work with me. I hate Hyundai and tell everyone not to buy them. At least I can say I've prevented eleven sales so far by relaying my experience with Hyundai. I figure if I can prevent a couple of hundred over the next couple of years we will be even. SO EVERYONE, I RECCOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY A HYUNDAI!!!!!!!
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    The vibration you felt was the engine lugging in high gear. If you were to put the trans in manual mode and down shift to 5th, the vibration would go away. It is just how they have it geared and the EMC programmed, so that they can meet the CARB and EPA standards. At 65 MPH the engine is in its sweet spot, but below that it is just under its performance envelope so it feels like its lugging. Nothing to be concerned about, just an annoyance at slow speeds. I have an 08 model built in 07, so I hope we dont experience the TB problem it only has 9200 on it, and when we drive it, it is usually to/from work which is an hour each way.

Keep in mind, the 07 is first model year, and all who buy first model year are guinea pigs! :P Just ask those who bought first model year Ford 6.0 diesel!
  • ejcat1ejcat1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having intermittent problems with several of the convenience features on my 2008 Veracruz Limited.

Some of the electronic features such as the steering wheel memory, automatic door unlock, steering wheel retraction when turning off the engine, and automatic rear door feature , just don't work all of the time. It's very annoying.

The problems did not occur in the dealer's service department nor when the district service rep looked at it. They both said they had no clue as to the cause of the problem since they couldn't duplicate any of them.

Anyone else have similar problems and how did you resolve them, if at all?
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    You didn't happen to name your car Herbie, did you? :P

What you need to do is document everything when it happens, eventually the trigger will be found. Note the temperature outside, where you park, if the car was cold or warm, how many miles you drove, or if a cold start, how long it sat between runs, etc. It could be something as simple as a loose bus connection, and depending on how the car sits and its temperature, and humidity, can trigger it.
    Good luck...the fun will just keep coming with these lovely cars. I've been fighting all the defects in my car for a year and a half now and it still has more.
  • jirkajirka Member Posts: 15
    Did it fix the problem? I have a very similar problem with Kia Sedona http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0e2c78/125.

It is really dangerous to drive with it - it switches to limp mode without warning, on the freeway, in the middle of an intersection (I wonder what idiot designed it. Why doesn't it give me at least 30s time before doing it ...)
  • ejcat1ejcat1 Member Posts: 2
    I kept a log noting when, by date, each problem occurred and made separate entries if a problem occurred more than once in any one day. I thought it would be helpful to show the district rep when I met him at the dealer but neither he nor the dealer's service manager even glanced at it when I told them about it.

I'm not sure it would do any good to keep a more detailed record. Maybe I'll give it a try.
    The repairs made to the throttle body have not shown any problems so far. In December I drove the vehicle around 1800 miles and in ran like it should.

My wife, the primary driver of the vehicle, has mentioned that the throttle response seems more subdued than it was prior to the fix.
  • duaynedduayned Member Posts: 30
    Sorry to hear you seem to have gotten a lemon, Cruzin3.
    Fortunately, I'd say your problems are relatively rare for this brand. In my own experience for instance, I bought a '99 Sonata new, and now after nearly 10 years and over 100,000 miles have had no major problems.
    Good luck with your next brand purchase, no matter what it may be.
  • duaynedduayned Member Posts: 30
    Hey guys, I'm seeing all these problems about uncomfortable seating positions, and I can't help but thinking, "Did you all test drive the car before you bought it? If so, why'd you buy a car you couldn't sit right in?"
    I'm not trying to blame you if this is a Hyundai shortcoming -- but I am just curious about that.
  • epik15epik15 Member Posts: 11
    The seats in the Veracruz seem pretty good to me. It's got every adjustable option. Back/forth, tilt up down, height, back angle, even lumbar. Then you've got the power adjustable pedals and power telescopic steering wheel.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    I believe the 09MY Veracruz is available in Canada. Any idea when it will be released to US dealers?

Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to interview someone who drives a 3-row crossover, has kids and plans to drive the vehicle to a vacation destination instead of taking an airplane.
    If this describes you, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, April 6, 2009 and indicate your vehicle's make and model.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Coporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    I've been waiting several months now for the 09s to show up at the dealer. I've heard that they are being held somewhere, probably in outdoor storage lots, waiting for the dealers to get rid of the 08s. My wife is worried that, having sat for so long after manufacture, they may be subject to more problems than a "freshly made" car. At first, I told her that there was little to worry about, but the more I think about the gasoline in the tank turning to lacquer, small animals chewing on the wiring harness or crawling into the vents and dying, etc., the more I think she may be right. Any thoughts?
  • ericgouericgou Member Posts: 4
    I was at the NY auto show and spoke to Hyundai rep. The 2009 Veracruz which is just now being released to dealers, does not and will not have a backup camera. To me this is an essential safety feature and deal breaker. The rep said that numerous people visiting the show have the same reaction. It is surprising that a company that seems to be so aware of upgrading their product, and is being very successful at it, would leave off such a major improvement.