Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Cobalt Accessories & Modifications

corona36corona36 Member Posts: 1
Recently I purchased a 2005 Chevy Cobalt Sedan. I absolutely love the car. The only problem isthat it is the most basic model availabel. Now I want to upgrade the radio so I can have XM without having a clunky unit sliding around next to me.

How would I go about disassembling the dash so I could pull out the existing radio and replacing it with the upper level XM radio?

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    to the poster who offered a solution via email, but the best thing to do would be to post it here for all to benefit.

And please note that we don't want you to post your email address right here on the public web page where you are subjecting yourself to all kinds of malicious intentions. There's a note to that effect right over the post box.

So, please, fill us in on how this can be done...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to [email protected] no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
  • mrradman11mrradman11 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just got my '06 Cobalt LS 2 weeks ago, and I LOVE IT! I was wondering if there were any websites dedicated to cobalt accessories or aftermarket parts? Or, does anyone know of any websites that offer those? I was looking to get some sideskirts, front/rear bumper, stick shift knob, spoiler . . .ect.

Any help would be great.

btw, CAN you change your shifter knob in the '06 cobalt? If so, please explain how.

Thanks.
  • barnhapjbarnhapj Member Posts: 2
    Im in the same boat as this guy, can someone provide the forum w/ a link for things like this?

#5 of 5 Where to Find Accessories and Aftermarket parts by mrradman11 Jul 24, 2006 (12:59 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Hey, I just got my '06 Cobalt LS 2 weeks ago, and I LOVE IT! I was wondering if there were any websites dedicated to cobalt accessories or aftermarket parts? Or, does anyone know of any websites that offer those? I was looking to get some sideskirts, front/rear bumper, stick shift knob, spoiler . . .ect.

Any help would be great.

btw, CAN you change your shifter knob in the '06 cobalt? If so, please explain how.

Thanks.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    What is the difference between driving a Cobalt with a "touring suspension" (Cobalt LT) and a "sport-tuned suspension" (Cobalt SS)?
    How does those two suspensions change the performance of the car.
    Which one is better?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "Touring" suspension is firmer for better rebound control and reduced sway. "Sport-Tuned" is way firmer yet for track work. Which one is better than the other (or better than the stock suspension) all depends on what you want out of a car and how sensitive your butt is.
  • bren69bren69 Member Posts: 2
    Good questions. I would love to hear from some people about some of the performance mods they did to their cobalt LS, and what it boosted them and cost them. Also...and this is ridiculously tough to get an answer on, has anyone found any half decent seat covers for a cobalt? front and rear especially..but it seems like any I have tried look like *&% potatoe sacks on those seats. Anyone else have luck?
  • bren69bren69 Member Posts: 2
    by the way..for tires and rims wheelmax.com is ncredible..good prices and very fast delivery
  • brenner45brenner45 Member Posts: 5
    My 2005 LS Coup 5-speed did not come with fog lights, but I wanted them. We ordered a set thru the dealer. The bumper inserts were packaged with the actual lights, but no brackets were included. Multiple calls to multiple dealers in a 50 mile radius has resulted in no answer on how to mount the light to the grill insert. The SS version has everything molded into the bumper; there are no inserts nd the light bolts directly to the bumper itself. But I've seen other models with these black grill inserts containing the fog lights. Can someone with this setup check how the lights are mounted and reply please? It's a bit of a PITA to get to them b/c the headlight blocks the view from above, and cowling blocks view from below. Just need someone willing to take peek to help us out. ;)
  • mszekemszeke Member Posts: 9
    ...went to order a new 2007 Cobalt base coupe with manual transmission. I wanted one option - cruise control. I was told that was not possible. Any thoughts on an aftermarket c/c? Thanks, mike.
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    Aftermarket cruise works fine, I have had it installed on several cars over the years with no problems. They operate just like the factory unit. Cost should be in the $300 range installed.
    Thanks!
  • 02cavalier02cavalier Member Posts: 20
    GM accessories are available thru the dealer or online. Good mod is the center console/armrest for 90 bucks. It is a genuine GM part and has easy to follow directions. Installation takes about an hour for the first timer. They claim it is for the automatic model only but it will work on the 5 speed.
  • chevyguy55chevyguy55 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone put a KN filter in their cobalt. Im debating on getting one because i dont want it to screw up my sensor.
  • neilt49neilt49 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a Cobalt SS/SC and want to add the center console/armrest. The dealership staff say it's not available for an SS/SC`model. Have you installed one on a 5 speed SS/SC Cobalt?
    Please reply to [email protected]
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    just put the le bra on z cobalt and it looks very nice. mine is the ss/sc and was a little tricky but patents won the day
    see my blog for more info
  • rlenkerrlenker Member Posts: 13
    I have a cobalt 2007 LT with remote key and doors.
    Can I add a start function? Can I add a GM module and change key fobs?

:D
  • photoman79photoman79 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,
    I just bought the 07 Cobalt Coupe LT. I love the car. I was thinking about putting tint on the rear window and back seat window. I heard it looks stupid tinting them without tinting the front windows. In NY it is illegal to tint the front windows and I don't want to get any tint tickets. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you all. Drive fast and give'em hell.

photoman79
    it's your car do what you want. i don't think it looks bad at all. and will cut down on headlight glare from higher riding vehicles.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I see people do the side back windows somewhat frequently. Personally, I would just do the back glass only. The back side glass looks more normal on an SUV.
    Thank you for you opinion. I appreciate it. Take care, J.
    Thank you for the responce. I appreciate the input. Take care, J.
  • goldenfoot_07goldenfoot_07 Member Posts: 1
    I put one on my SS/SC and it works great! If you plan to get an after market cold air kit then it will come with a place to mount your sensor.
  • golfgti4789golfgti4789 Member Posts: 20
    do any of you guys know if i can switch out my 200 head unit to the newer 2007 unit? any answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • karrie08karrie08 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone put performance upgrades on their LS? I'm trying to figure out if its worth it, or if I should just wait til I get a car w/ more hp thats "worth" doing modification to.
    Only reason I'm thinking about spending money on the car is because I only pay for the insurance (including my dad's) and will probably have this car for a good bit of time.
    Well the decision is yours. As you know people put thousands of dollars in upgrades to compact cars. There are people with $10-20,000 or more in their Honda Civics. Cobalts have a pretty good following for a performance upgrades. In fact the Cobalt since its release has been dominate at drag strips nation wide from amatuar and pro-stock classes, to the Bonaville Salt Flats in Utah. The Guiness book of world records has the Cobalt shattering many previous Honda Civic records.

You can buy engine parts through GM, which has a special engine/accessories catalog available where you can buy every engine part needed. The catalogue costs $20 or more from the parts department.
  • karrie08karrie08 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. =] I like my cobalt alot, especially for a first car so I probably will stick with for now. I'm going to get the book and see what available now. =]
  • 2awesome2awesome Member Posts: 1
    I just had my windows ( side and back) tinted and was very pleased with the outcome and appearance.
  • hpununes58hpununes58 Member Posts: 1
    hello everybody, new to the forum and was just wondering if anybody has put a glasspack on a Cobalt and would that would that pass inspection
    I haven't read about that on this forum. You can do a search on google and there are some performance Cobalt sites out there with people doing some pretty heavy mods.
  • expwymanexpwyman Member Posts: 25
    I'm considering a 2008 Cobalt LT1 sedan and I noticed a change from 07... The 08 front bumper is one solid piece; in 07, there were bezels that could be swapped out or removed to install fog lights. Has anyone put in fog lights on an 08 in such a case? If so, how did you do it?
  • cobaltkencobaltken Member Posts: 21
    I myself thinks that it would look ok,Look at extended cab pickups just about all of them come with the extended cab windows tinted and they look good. Good luck
  • bray2bray2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 cobalt LT and was wondering if anyone has put on after market exhaust on their cobalt?
    i have the gm performance exhaust on mine and it has a much nicer sound. :shades:
  • rlenkerrlenker Member Posts: 13
    :) I have a 2007 LT with remote doors and trunk. What do I have to add for remote start.

A new key ring ? I have a receiver in the car?
    It should be wired.

Can I get on from a wrecked car.

Rich
  • corey13corey13 Member Posts: 1
    hey new member here, i got a 08 Cobalt LT sedan 5-speed...wanna do some things to it, would like to hear about some things people have done to em, all my buddys got old hondas and stuff so they dont know nothin about cobalts, so if someone could give me a site where there is mods and things for cobalts...
    Haven't been on any recently but there are quite a few. Google it. Cobalt's took all the speed records from the Civic when it came out. Read the latest Guiness Book of World Records. Look at the pro stock drag racing results. The Cobalts cleans up at the track.
  • expwymanexpwyman Member Posts: 25
    I just added fog lights to my Cobalt by tapping in to the fog light fuse under the hood and connecting the factory fog light switch/trim and it works beautifully. The only catch is that the fog light indicator on the dash does not light up when the fog lights are on with the factory switch. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by reprogramming the car's computer to let it know it has fog lights or did GM set up some other cabling/harness issue so the light won't go on unless it's factory fogs (or did GM put in different instrument gauges depending on whether you had factory fog or not)? I can always put in a small LED to indicate on/off, but I figured I'd ask.
  • shadowhackershadowhacker Member Posts: 1
    i bought a used 08 cobalt sport has a 2.4L ecotec and its automatic tranny i am looking for some upgrades for it like a supercharger or even a turbo and any other performance upgrades any websites or feed back would be nice thank you
  • deereclaasmandeereclaasman Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have a 2007 Cobalt LT and I am looking to put fog lights in it. I saw that you did this yourself, so I am wondering where did you go to get your wiring harness, lights, etc. I will have to get the different bumper inserts too. I got off the phone with my Chevy dealer today and they said that if you put them in you will have to reprogram the computer so that it knows that the vehicle has fog lights, and that they can easily do that. I hope that kind of helped you with your question. I appreciate your help!
  • writerwriter Member Posts: 121
    I am driving a base Cobalt with a manual 5 speed. Due to the locations of the steering wheel, the pedals and the gear shift, I find that my seating position puts the gear shift too far back. In fact, in the 2nd/4th line, depending on how I am sitting, my upper arm is behind my shoulder. This is causing a lot of stress. On the first day my shoulder was so sore that I had difficulty sleeping.

As far as I know, the most obvious solution is not made by anyone, so this is a piece of advice to anyone (like maybe the Hurst company) who might want to make such an accessory:

I need a shift knob with a forward offset of about 1 inch. If possible I would like a short T-bar knob, wide enough for a two finger grip, but this is not important. The important part is the forward offset.
  • gmcbuicktechgmcbuicktech Member Posts: 2
    add on two way remote start from gm approx 300$ works great just installed my own
  • 06cobaltltguy06cobaltltguy Member Posts: 1
    I want to lower my 06 cobalt lt about 2 inches but I've heard this could blow my struts. Has anyone done something similar and could give me some advice on it. The help would be much appreciated!!
  • robertfmay63robertfmay63 Member Posts: 1
    my daughter just bought a 2005 base cobalt w/auto tranny a week after purchase the tranny started slamming into each gear -----what is the deal ===absolutely no prob before and no indication of problem side note engine light came on at same time ! o2 sensor and a few others ---any advice would be apprciated! she has two kids and is helping me out till i can get a better job so she has no money for big repair!