Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon Clutch Problems

Comments

• joeoggjoeogg Member Posts: 7
    i have a 2006 hyundai tiburaon, 23000 miles clutch went out, not under warranty, they wanted $2400 + so i found local garage and i bought cluch master and it cost $1600. it lasted for about a month. same thing clutch went out, clutch master is working with me but flywheel etc all need to be replaced, I just wonder what is causing this to happen, I replaced the dual-mas flywheel with a clutch master and same thing
    I wish somebody would say what they did to get it working after it has blown more than one clutch. 6 cyclinder 5 speed, with 23,000 mile on it and I don't hiot rod it. I just think that if it gets fixed it will happen again
  • Kumdo0770Kumdo0770 Member Posts: 2
    Its a known issue that Hyundai Tiburon in general has a lacking clutch, which is why I babied it during the break-in period.

I'd suggest a Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, and a ClutchMaster Stage 1 (I think its FX100 or something).

I've driven my '08 Tiburon for 12000~15000 miles in the past 4~6 months, and I've had no problems with the clutch at all. Also, I do not suggest going to a Hyundai dealership service center for repair. they destroyed my door, and took no responsibility until I threatened to go to the papers, which got me a discounted price to repair. Go to a reputable Auto/Body repair shop, no headaches.

And just a general info, the Tiburon (from '03~'08) is a pull-type clutch, which no one (not even Hyundai "certified" mechanics) seem to remember, and screws with the clutch system, and eventually the transmission will follow suit.

Its unfortunate that people dramatize 1 issue as the most deathly important thing. Hyundai has improved from the past years and its still a young company, when it comes to the service department.
  • tiburon05sctiburon05sc Member Posts: 5
    Post here several times though my first 1 is missing. Other replies are 32 or 33 and 43. The dealership repair shops give the response they are not aware of any reported problems with clutches on the Tib's and will always give the response it is not covered under warranty (in spite of the class action suit they had back in I believe '03)

They are never going to do anything about your clutch problem, even when you go to the Hyundai Customer Assistance program they tell you about in your car manual when you bought the car)

They will insist it is because you do not drive the car properly. Mine happened at less than 9K miles and then again around 17K miles later. Don't listen to any of these messages saying you do not know how to drive the car properly or it is not a big problem. It's a HUUUUGGGEEE problem.

In my last 2 messages I mentioned I took mine the second time to Kottmann Transmission. The manager of that particular one contacted the sales rep whose company makes the clutch/ fly wheel for Hyundai. That rep told Kottmann they know there is a problem with the parts and they are working on a replacement part that will cause this to happen.

Non the less, my advice is to do as I did on the second brake down.....contact the Better Business Bureau. They do not monkey around and do not take any SHI... from the big companies. They were not able to get Hyundai to repair the car at no cost. However, they gave me good advice...be persistant, do not back down. They told me my last alternative was to allow BBB to set up a legal meeting between Hyundai Repair and myself with an independent arbitrator (no cost to you) who would hear/read all your documentation on the car and also Hyundai's side, and then make a final decision which both sides would have to abide by. I told BBB yes, set up the aribtration hearing. An hour after that call, BBB called back and said Hyundai wanted to settle the matter at the full cost of my repair I had with Kottmann Transmission.

In my initial correspondance to the BBB I outlined all the normal BS of what I had been going through with Hyundai, how many miles the first occurance was, and the number of miles of the second occurance. I had also included ever email that was on this forum regarding the same problem with the Tiburon clutch/flywheel. I also included the articles that talked about the class action law suit on this matter from 5 years ago.

They will listen to you and do everything to help you...believe it! As I mentioned in one of my other postings, they will only help you if you still own the vehicle.
    Some one got satisfaction out of going to better business bureau, which bbb did you go to, a local or national better business bureau
    Some one got satisfaction out of going to better business bureau, which bbb did you go to, a local or national better business bureau this si regarding the clutch on the hyundai tiburon
  • Kumdo0770Kumdo0770 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I'm at 13000 miles and the clutch is fine on my '08...with all stock parts for the transmission...

If it fails...try a Clutchmaster FX100 (stage 1 for stock engine with stock power) and a Fidanza lightweight flywheel....a lot of people in the tiburon community (in a forum) have no issues with these, and their tiburons range from the RD to the current GK models
    I did an online search for the BBB which gave me the contact information for the local BBB. However all my correspondance came from a National BBB which I believe was out of DC
  • kowdykowdy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 gs 4 cyl, had my first clutch replaced at 20k miles now again my clutch is goin out at 50k
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Hyundai never built stronger newer flywheel/clutch combo's for y'all and put them in free of charge as a giant Tibby recall. I was once interested in buying one of these cars, and I would've bought a Tib with a 5-speed manual, too.

I think this '03 and on Hyundai Tiburon(with a few mild body changes here and there) holds up pretty well body-design-wise against the new Genesis Coupe, too. Though I have yet to see a Genesis Coupe in person to compare against the Tiburon.

But this clutch premature wear-out problem is ridiculous. Shoulda been cleared up by now, I've heard of these clutch failures here on Edmunds from what seems like 2004 on to now! :sick:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

The problem with clutches seem to have appeared form 2003 on, the only year with calls action lawsuit is 2003, I don't know but suspect they are all dual mas clutches, I replace yhr orgianl clutch(went out at 22,000 with a clutch master aluminun wheel , that one went out, clutch master replaced with steel one, did not go to dual mas clutch,

I think the only way to ge hyundai to own up is to go to better business bureau. I am 67 years old been driving stick shifts forever and have never had aclutch go out till now, I know they have a problem with design
  • kim64kim64 Member Posts: 1
    I have read alot of bad stories about this car on here, I have a 2003 4cyl , I bought it new, my clutch just started to slip, did I get lucky ?? it's got 190,000km on it, the biggest problem I"ve had with my car is the electrical.. they have relpaced the motor for the power door locks 3 times, and yet again.. not working, neither are the power windows. But as for the clutch, 190 K.. can't complain, considering I also have 2 boys who learned how to drive stick on it..OUCH. So now I am shopping for a clutch (and no I am not taking it to the dealer to be repaired) I know a good mechanic, just looking for some advice on what clutch to put in.
  • callreedcallreed Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Tiburon with 24500 miles . that smoke out backing out my garage.
    Charge me 520.00 to tell me it was my clutch. they applied it to my repair for a total of app 1700.00 . You want to buy it? :(
  • jemtecjemtec Member Posts: 40
    The 2003 in particular had several electrical faults, and of course the clutch failures on both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines.
    I HAVE a solution..THE solution.
    I personally own a 2004 Tiburon 2.0L, with a 5 speed so I speak with experience.
    I also have spoke to other fellow Tibby owners with the same issue and figured adding my info in this forum might be useful.
    When I bought my Tib in Feburary 2006, it had 16K miles on the clock.
    I also noticed when I drove it, the clutch didnt feel right.. Like nothing Ive ever driven, and Ive owned many manual transmission based cars.
    The clutch action made a novice drive like a pro, and an expert drive like a novice.
    I was thinking something was off immediately.
    Hyundai made the clutch smooth, but at a cost.
    Slipping on every shift!
    Now on to the solution.
    There is a little part located in your clutch slave cylinder called a "delay valve".
    The part has a small hole in it, and a spring.
    The clutch slave cylinder in and of itself is pretty simple.
    Dont confuse it with the clutch MASTER cylinder located on the cars firewall.
    Just remove the slave cylinder, unbolt the side with the hose on it, and you should see it, (the valve) and a small spring.
    Once these are out, and you have properly installed and done an air bleed of the slave prepare to be amazed!
    The car will now shift properly, with positive shifts, NO slipping,better fuel economy, more power, and perfect clutch feel!
    TRUST ME.. This works perfectly and is totally safe.
    My car has over 40K on it now and not a single lick of trouble.
    I cant remember the name of the site I found this info, but it was very new at the time, and im sure I would have found this solution myself given alittle time.
    I give kudos to the guy that found out the solution before I did. :)
    If I had the link, there is a full, photographs and all, website that has step by step of how to do this.
    But, you can also do it simply by buying a service manual.
    This is the absolute best "Mod" you can do for your Tibby.
    I wish Hyundai would just admit to the issue, as the solution is so painfully easy to solve its kind of silly.
    Say goodbye to clutch wear, and hello to a car with added performance you havent met yet.
    Word of caution.. If you have replaced your clutch, or have a badly worn clutch, this mod will save your existing clutch, but if its already so bad that most of the clutch friction material, or the flywheel has been overheated bad enough to cause judder, you will still need to replace the clutch and possibly the flywheel.
    If you catch it soon enough with the mod, you could get tens of thousands of addtional miles before having to do your clutch!
    Each situation will vary.. but for the love of god.. REMOVE THE VALVE!
    :D
  • 4bakrs4bakrs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon (53,000 miles) that was just taken into dealership with Clutch and Flywheel problems. Both are not covered under warranty.
    I have also had to replace the steering wheel rack at 42,000 miles. Very costly repairs.
    Has anyone else had clutch problems with their 2005 Tiburons?
    I have a 2006 tiburon, 6 cyclinder that had 23,000 miles on it and Hyundai said it would cost $2400 to repair, they never gave me anything in writing, I took my car to local mechanic and they repaired once using aluminum CLutch master fly wheel, which didn't last, had to be replaced by steel one which now has 5000 mile on it. I took my case to auto better business hot line and got re-imbursed for most of the cost, Also in warranty book it says it does cover clutch lining which is a cheap part. It doesn't say anything about rest of clutch which is flywheel etc.
    good luck
  • joeykujoeyku Member Posts: 1
    Hey buddy,

Can you email me personally about this? I have an '07 GS with no problem... Yet, but I notice when I "Rev" it out to redline and try to quick shift into second that I hear a grind. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet and I don't beat my car at all. I have almost 38,000 mile on it and want to know if I can do that to my car. email is joeymetsfan7232@yahoo.com. Thanks.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    ...but Hyundai definitely cuts corners on certain components to keep their costs down, and two of these main components happen to be the clutch.flywheel assembly and the suspension on all but the Genesis.

There's a reason why Hyundais do well in initial quality, but clutch, suspension and electrical problems mount significantly over times.

Plotted on a chart, Hyundai remains flat during years 1 through 2, ticks upwards in year three, and takes off in a nasty upward direction in years 4 and beyond.
  • schultzi3schultzi3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT, and I have very bad clutch problems. The clutch has been replaced. I read on your post, and it said to look for the delay valve in the slave cylinder. Do i just take out the delay valve and the spring and reinstall?
  • ajagerajager Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 V6 5 speed Tibruon and it is the first standard i have owned. I have roughly 50k miles on it right now and the only problem i am having right now is that it will pop out of 4th gear from time to time. I dont know if this means the clutch is going or what. That is my only problem right now, in the past they had to replace my driver side window motor a year after i bought it. I bought this car in 03 with only 11 miles on it. Any help with what is going wrong with it would be much appreciated. :confuse:
  • amnred103amnred103 Member Posts: 2
    This might sound strange. You had air in your brake fluid. There is no mechanical linkage from your clutch to your tranny (its hydrolic) and uses the brake fluid. Anyway, you get air in the line and it wont have the pressure to push the clutch or push the clutch pedal back out. After the bubble escaped out the reservoir it was able to build pressure again essentialy fixing its self! If you have that problem again first make sure your brake fluid reservoir is full. If you have this problem again bleed the line out and it should fix it.
  • tlzinktlzink Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my OEM clutch and flywheel for my 03 Tiburon with a grip force stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel. my problem is that now that I have everything installed, I have no back pressure when I press on the clutch pedal. At first I thought that there was an air bubble in the hose, but that's not the case. Any suggestions?
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    My daughter owns a GT Shark. About a year ago, she had the clutch replaced and is now at about 76K miles. At that time they also replaced master or slave cylinders or maybe it was both.
    She recently started experiencing a problem. Sometimes it was hard to get in gear, gear grinding, and other times it would rev as if the clutch had not engaged. The problem is intermittent and the dealer said they could not find a problem. She took it to another mechanic and have changed the slave twice without success. And now has an added problem of not wanting to start sometimes as if the clutch is not being depressed.
    I realize this info is partial, but would appreciate any input.

How in the world does a clutch fail to engage or disengage as a single problem?
    My only suspicion is that somehow the throw-out bearing is sticking on the shaft. So I'm looking for other possibilities and any knowledge of how this assembly is constructed. My knowledge is from previous times where a fork compressed the clutch plate away from the flywheel. The clutch plate was splined to the output shaft. In some designs the plate slid on the splined shaft.

And now there is the no start issue. Does anyone know where that safety switch is located?
    Some designs had it located near the brake switch, on the interior. If your linkage went bad, you defeated the safety switch. With mechanical linkage, they might be put anywhere along the linkage including at the clutch. With hydraulic, it could be put at the master or slave cylinders. For the highest degree of safety, it would seem they would put it at the output of the slave. I have no idea how the slave actuates, is connected, to the clutch. I remember one where the slave would make direct contact with the fork, but have no idea if someone came up with one of those "better ideas". (other than the one everyone hear seems to have) ;)
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    The site w/ slave spring removal outlined in it is

www.newtiburon.com
  • kevin1962kevin1962 Member Posts: 1
    hi I just did the vavle take out project you said worked for you it diod not work for me every thing was done just as you explained it in fact I even down loaded your file so as to not get it wrong, in fact it slips more now ten it did befor, I will take it to the local hun.dealership and see what they have to say. I really thought this was going to solve the problem not make it worse. please let me know what you think thanks kevin
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    After the shop kept the car for a couple of weeks, they had given up all hope of avoiding pulling tranny. Because they had put a new clutch in 1 year ago, they did not burn her. This time they used a steel pressure plate and charged her about half what it cost the first time, about $350.
    Problem solved.
  • chris30276chris30276 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to bleed the clutch on a 2003 tiburon, 6cyl, 5 spd? I'd hate to take in for that. Any help would be appreciated
  • bethr07bethr07 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2006 Tiburon in March 2006, with 87 miles on it. In June (3 months to the day), I was driving back from Washington DC to Ohio, and the car would not accelerate over 40mph. I tried checking all the fluids, and putting better gas in, and nothing helped. I called Ricart in Columbus where the car was purchased, and they said (if it made it back), to bring the car in to be checked. The problem was that the clutch needed to be replaced. Luckily, they fixed it at no charge to me, since the car was so new. Now, 3 years later, my clutch is bad again. The only time I can get the car to go above 50mph is when I'm going downhill on the highway (which doesn't happen a lot in NW Ohio...) Midas told me that the clutch needs to be replaced, and of course, Hyundai will not cover it, since it wears out. My car is at 61,000 miles now, and I have treated this car like my baby since I've owned it. The first few weeks were tough since I was a little rusty at driving a standard, but it's been great since then. Unfortunately I won't have this car paid off for another 2 years :( I was planning on keeping this car until I had a good job and could afford a really nice car, but I'm thinking after having this problem again and reading the other posts, that I might need to think about getting a new car a little sooner than I had planned. :lemon:
  • xpiratecarriexxpiratecarriex Member Posts: 2
    A few years ago, I bought a used '04 Tiburon 4 cylinder with only 9k miles on it. It was two years old and I remember being shocked that a car two years old had so few miles on it. Only a few months in, I found out why. It had an electrical problem. I took it back to where I bought it a few times and was treated horribly. After five or so times that it had been in, I angrily asked to speak to the service manager and he informed me that I was lying, it had not been in five times. Called me a liar in front of everyone in the service dept, when I had the paperwork to prove it, and he could've looked in his own computer to see. I called the store manager later, who discovered "my story had never happened" and I miraculously could never get a hold of her again. So I went higher up and talked to people at Hyundai headquarters. Same thing. It never happened and I couldn't get a hold of anyone again. So I took my tiburon to another dealership. After 13 times total, replacing the alarm, the alternator and battery several times, replacing the stereo several times, the wiring harness, they could never fix what was wrong and it got so bad that one night driving home when I let off the gas, all the lights shut off. Not safe. In horrible frustration (but still loving the Tiburon and assuming this was just a lemon and a fluke) I foolishly traded in my used 04 for a brand new 06 SE. I drove the SE for three years with never a problem until about six months ago. Without warning, the left front wheel bearing went out. Luckily, they replaced it at no cost. But about a month or so later, I started having clutch problems. It would grind going into and out of gears, trying to downshift, and it would seem like the clutch wasn't disengaging. It would keep moving in gear even when the clutch was pressed to the floor. I took it to the dealership and they told me the master cylinder had come apart and they replaced it. Few weeks later, started having the problem again. So I took it in and dropped it off for a week while I was on vacation and they replaced the entire clutch assembly. For a few weeks, it shifted flawlessly. About two weeks ago, I started having the problem again. I take it back in for the third time and they say "this time the slave cylinder took a dump." So they replaced it. Not even a week later, same problem. I took it in for round 4 and now they can't find anything wrong with it. It is infuriating. I don't drive the car hard, especially when I started having problems, I baby it fanatically because I'm so afraid it will mess up, which it always does. I've had this car for three years with never a problem. I don't think I suddenly forgot how to drive it in the last six months. This is also the third manual I have owned, and I've owned nothing but manuals since I learned to drive. I don't think I suddenly forgot how to drive. I will never own another Hyundai and I would get rid of this thing today if I wasn't upside down on my payments. Two different Tiburons with several different problems, so I think that proves it's not that i just got ONE crappy car. I've started daydreaming about Toyotas and Hondas. Ugh.
  • mntibmntib Member Posts: 2
    :mad: Another one bites it....Another classic storybook case as it seems...
    Took car to dealership, clutch didn't seem right, ticking noise, told nothing wrong ($50). Problem got worse, back to dealership, nothing visible need to teardown to locate problem ($130). Amazing they found that the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate needed replaced. Said no warranty that the car had been driven hard they could tell because the tires needed to be replaced as well. So $2400 just for the clutch problem, gave quote also for tires, but we took it to a tire company so we at least know that we have a good warranty on them. Amazing that the tire company told us that getting the 19,000 miles out of the tires that were on it was good. So guess that takes care of the driven hard excuse because of the tires!
    So in summary $22,000 for the car, $2400 for the clutch, $500 for tires all in the first year. They got us!! To sell it we lose our shorts, to keep it sounds like we will lose our shorts as from what I read our clutch problems have only begun. But guess what we have a good warranty on the tires.
    I guess from what I read our next step will be to contact the BBB since the dealership is no help, Hyundai doesn't seem to care, so why bother.
    If anyone else has had any luck anywhere, please let me know.
    I have a 2006 tiburon and I went to better business bureau and go back my money tthat it cost me to replace clutch, The dealer is not going to do anything and you must force hyundai to do something, go to BBB
  • tiamaxwelltiamaxwell Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2003 hyundai tiburon and I am trying to pull out the alternator because I believe I need a new one...So I need to figure out how to loosen the tension belt...I can't find the idler pully...Please help! i've been looking online for a bit and i'm a working woman so I don't have much time...Thank you! :confuse:
  • madmom4madmom4 Member Posts: 1
    Same old story--2006 Tiburon that I bought new. Less than 35,000 miles and am replacing the clutch for the second time. Hyundai is absolutely no help. The dealership says it is due to an inability to drive a stick. Why don't we fight fire with fire and take out some ads in major newspaper complaining about this issue? How about the consumer advocate on local TV stations coupled with a move to get our various congressmen involved. During these difficult financial times what Hyundai is doing is criminal, and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Anybody else for a good old fashioned American fight against these corporate jerks?
  • xpiratecarriexxpiratecarriex Member Posts: 2
    I am with you on that. So far, I've been lucky in that the Hyundai dealership by me has replaced everything for free, but I fear that's coming to an end since they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong the last time I brought it in. I contacted the law firm that is handling the lawsuit against the 2003 models but I have yet to hear back from them.
  • mntibmntib Member Posts: 2
    Anyone who has been the BBB route with clutch problems, I would like to hear from you as to your results and what it took to get there. We have contacted them and it appears we are going to arbitration.
    kaguilfoil@gmail.com
    The answer is YES.
    Take the "holder" out..(has a hole in it which creates the delay).. along with the spring.
    There is no longer a need for the spring as the delay orifice is removed, and the spring will no longer serve a purpose of helping the part stay centered.
    Be sure you look for any leaks when you are done, and bleeding the clutch slave is a piece of cake.
    I suggest using a Dot 4 type brake fluid as it has a slightly different and I think better "feel" at the pedal. Dot 3 is fine as well of course.
    Just take your time, and be sure you have a couple good rags to clean up the brake fluid.. its horrible on paint.
    :shades:
    :)
    Popping out of 4th gear could mean either you have a bad shift fork, or, more than likely.. a misadjusted shift lever cable..
    Look into doing an adjustment on that, and if someone removed the transmission in the past, either they messed up the adjustment, or the cable may just be stretching.
    I have seen situations where people with bad clutches get all "angry" with their transmissions and shift hard on them and bang them into gears, sometimes stretching out the cable that way.
    I would look into the simple approach first, (cable adjustment) before you poo-poo the transmission as possibly needing some repair.
    Sorry to hear you are still having problems.
    The thing about this fix, is that it works best if your clutch isnt already toast.
    If it slipped long enough, even having the clutch slave no longer "delaying" (which wipes the clutch out in the first place).
    Now, if you are replacing your clutch, make damn sure this valve is removed or you will be doing it again pretty quickly.
    Also, make sure you have properly bled your clutch slave, and at the same time, keep your clutch MASTER filled well during the process or you will get a bubble,which.. will act like another delay valve, or worse, you cannot engage your clutch at all.
    Which may be your issue.
    Its been sometime since you posted this, but with your experience here, maybe others can learn from any possible problems in the future and make sure to look for this solution.
  • julieckjulieck Member Posts: 2
    :mad: My 2008 Tiburon 4cyl has been grinding when downshifting into 2nd gear. I have had my car in the dealer since Monday, May 3 (for the second time) and basically they have ordered 7 parts and are rebuilding my transmission. Now mind you I have only 10000 miles on my car. Any other 2008 with this problem?
    There are times when transmissions just go bad with one or two parts that fail due to quality issues.
    Parts are sourced from all over, and sometimes, you just get bad parts installed in a complex mechanical device (such as a transmission) with tolerances, metallurgy to worry about, and the possibility the transmission may have actually been assembled wrong as well, you can see that things can and do go wrong.
    As far as I know, there were minor differences between 2003-2008 5 or 6 speeds.
    With exception of the silly clutch slave cylinder delay valve, that was the only known "flaw" with Hyundai's design.
    Just be SURE that thing is removed (the spring and delay valve) and not only will the clutch last a long time, but it feels SO much better shifting too!
    Good luck on your transmission rebuild.
  • julieckjulieck Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advise. Now I am being told as of yesterday 5/7/10 that they have made matters worse by the rebuild and they are now having to order a whole new transmission. I am very disappointed in the whole situation and quite frankly my car! I hope that you are correct in saying that shifting will improve!
    I had a feeling that they were going to have to go further with the transmission.
    Honestly, like I mentioned in my last message, I think the transmission may have been bad from day 1, and it could be a misalignment problem with a bearing due to a poor casting.
    In your case, the new transmission should solve all your problems. :)
    Maybe it will take alittle longer, but once you get a fresh one, you should get years of trouble free use out of it.
    My 04 Tibby is 6 years old, and I took out that damn clutch slave cylinder delay valve and spring (there have been so many reports of bad clutches it isnt funny) to find out that removing this part is the saving grace for all Tiburon manual transmission owners.
    The shift action is spectacular, and the car has much better engagement.
    No slipping.. It just engages and drives down the road like any other manual transmission.
    When I first bought mine, I thought there was something off when I was clutching the car.. (like I was brand new at a manual and was slipping the clutch alot) but I knew it wasnt me as I have TAUGHT people how to properly drive a manual.
    So, I looked into it, and thought maybe there was something in the hydraulics of the clutch master or slave cylinder that could be slowing down the fluid flow so the clutch would naturally "slip".. to provide percieved smoothness.
    I was right.
    There was another guy online that found the culprit, (the clutch slave cylinder delay valve and spring) and effectively fixed the problem.
    This could be considered a "Mod" and it totally improves clutch operation.
    I doubt the dealership will remove it, but you might ask the mechanic (since the transmission is coming out anyway) to remove those 2 parts.
    If he doesnt for some warranty reason, have a friend remove it for you.
    Its pretty easy to do, and trust me.. your clutch depends on you taking it out or you will be replacing a clutch in 20K miles (or less).
    I have never been so adamant about something like this.. Since I own a tibby, I can vouch for its effectiveness. :)
    The car has 40K miles more on it since I took those parts out back in 2006.
    I dont regret it at all.
    Good luck!
  • lisahurtle91lisahurtle91 Member Posts: 2
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CLUTCH ISSUES:

You need to file a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). They are the ones who ultimately issue a recall for auto safety related issues. And, our clutch problem IS a safety issue since the failures occur when we are moving. File your complaint directly at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That is a link to the actual Online Complaint Form. Apparently there is no present investigation into this problem. Hard to believe with the hundreds and hundreds of clutch related complaints I have heard about, that only 58 complaints had been filed with the NHTSA. I was informed to encourage all who have had a problem to file a complaint there. I encourage the others who are pursuing a Class Action Suit to continue, as well as to file this complaint with the NHTSA. Don't allow Hyundai to continue to rip us off. Stand up and Speak up! Filing with the NHTSA could also help with any Class Action Suit.

The NHTSA is part of the Department of Transportation. They are overseen by US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, as well as, the US Senate Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine.

In addition, you may also want to write you state Senators and Congressmen to obtain their support in this issue. The more we are heard the better. Remember, as Ben Franklin said, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
  • lisahurtle91lisahurtle91 Member Posts: 2
    You need to file a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). They are the ones who ultimately issue a recall for auto safety related issues. And, our clutch problem IS a safety issue since the failures occur when we are moving. File your complaint directly at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That is a link to the actual Online Complaint Form. I spoke with them this morning and was somewhat encouraged, but not guaranteed. Apparently there is no present investigation into this problem. Hard to believe with the hundreds and hundreds of clutch related complaints I have heard about, that only 58 complaints had been filed with the NHTSA. I was informed to encourage all who have had a problem to file a complaint there. I encourage the others who are pursuing a Class Action Suit to continue, as well as to file this complaint with the NHTSA. Don't allow Hyundai to continue to rip us off. Stand up and Speak up! Filing with the NHTSA could also help with any Class Action Suit.

The NHTSA is part of the Department of Transportation. They are overseen by US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, as well as, the US Senate Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine.

In addition, you may also want to write you state Senators and Congressmen to obtain their support in this issue. The more we are heard the better. Remember, as Ben Franklin said, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
  • sygnatursygnatur Member Posts: 1
    Like so many of you above, my 06 GT 5-speed had the transmission go at 49k miles. I usually get at least 75k miles out of a clutch - I have never had a fly-wheel, throw bearing and clutch all go at once. The car never shifted right...the clutch seemed to be stuck at times, even though my shift was complete. It only got worse with time and then it started grinding and such.

I took mine to AAMCO and had it rebuilt with NON-Hyundai parts. It now has Luk components and a Sachs clutch plate - all German parts. It shifts nicely now, better than new, but I am still skeptical about the reliability of the car and just want to get rid of it.

The Tiburon is clearly a poor design and it is just wrong that Hyundai has screwed us all royally. My repair cost over $2k.
  • bcornwellbcornwell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 tiburon gt with 100,000 miles which as all of the sudden developed clutch/gear problems. Car is very responsive once in gear but goes back and forth between going in gear very easily and going into gear very hard and sometimes having to shut engine off before being able to get it in gear. Most times I can double clutch it and get thru the gears pretty well. Sometimes I have to shut engine off when first started as it won't come out of gear and is producing a whining sound. I just had the master and slave cylinder replaced and it does the same thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
  • fuscottfufuscottfu Member Posts: 1
    i'm guessing it's the throwout bearing. it sounds like the same thing that i had wrong with my 03 gt. i only had 65k though, feel lucky you made it as far as you did. anyway, while you have the engine and transmission ripped out to replace the bearing you might as well replace the entire clutch and flywheel. you may regret it if you don't and then have to take everything apart all over again in a year or less. i bought a clutch masters stage two clutch and aluminum flywheel which came with a new throw out bearing and everything, short of a gasket, to replace the stock clutch kit. you may not want to spend that much on a racing clutch, but just make sure whatever clutch you buy, whether oem or aftermarket, it comes with a new throwout bearing. hope this helps. good luck, it's gonna get expensive. don't forget to do the 'slave cylinder mod' to extend the life of your new clutch.
  • thekrullthekrull Member Posts: 1
    Hello fellow disappointed Tiburon owners,

I bought my tiburon used from a dealership 2 years ago and have replace the clutch once and had the flywheel resurfaced (about a year ago) and now I must replace my flywheel, disc, throwout bearing and clutch assembly.

I am aware of the class action suit and for this reason I do not want to put anything else from the dealership in my car, for fear of future failure.

So does anyone have a working solution for this clutch and flywheel problem? Aftermarket or not? I would rather pay 2500 and get this problem fixed for good then pay 1500 and have another headache in a year or 2.
    unless Hyundai finally came up with an improved replacement part for this, you're SOL. I replaced mine 2 times. I dumped the car when I saw it was starting to happen again. Hyundai SUCKED when trying to get them to do anything. Might be a different story on the ones coming out in the last couple years, but my 2005 had 3 times in less than 22000 miles
  • lois17lois17 Member Posts: 2
    Yes. I am the sole driver of a 2007 Tiburon SE with only 25,685 miles on it, with clutch failure. Car jerks when going into 1st gear, and doesnt glide when switching through the other gears. I took it to a dealership last week and was told that they would have to take it down to the transmission which would take about 7 hours to do, and then there would be about a 10-30% chance that the problem would be due to driver error, in which case, I would be responsible for the cost of diagnosis (about $700) plus the repair. If the problem was deemed to be a defective part, then it would be covered under warrenty. My first car in high school was a Simca (stick shift). Then I drove a Toyota Truck, then a Ford Ranger truck, then a Ford Mustang. All of which were stick shifts which I drove about 7 yrs each, and none of which ever had a clutch problem. To be told that I may have caused this problem by the way that I drive is somewhat insulting. I am 54 yrs old with over 30 yrs experiencing of driving stick shifts!!! Now that I see that there are so many others with this issue, it may be worth pursuing a class action suit for the 2007 Tiburon clutches as well. Apparently, a class action suit was settled on the 2003 Tiburon clutches. They no longer make the Tiburon, perhaps there were just too many issues with them. Right now I have gone back to the dealership where I purchased the car and the svc mgr there has indicated that he may be able to help me. If this problem is not corrected and covered under the "False Assurance" warranty, I will be looking into whatever legal avenues I can pursue. I have never sued for anything, but I am just that upset at this point.