Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• mseramsera Member Posts: 25
    As we all know stock size on a 2001 Forester S is 215-60-16. Even when new this tire is new it has the appearance of being so small. Now that it is time to replace I want to increase to 215-65-16 which will increase the overall diameter just under an inch. It might even give me a better ride with the slight increase in cushion.

Any experience or opinion??
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It should clear w/o a problem. I have an 05 LGT and I run 235-45-17 v. 215-45-17 which is stock size on it. :)

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    The difference in diameter (3% larger) will throw your speedometer off (it'll read too slow). The good news is that you'll "put fewer" miles on your Forester because your odometer will also be off :)

-Frank
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    I've put over 33,000 miles on my Forester XT Sport in just over a year. The tires are OEM: Yokohama 215/55 R17. The two rear tires are very worn (1/32 or 2/32 remaining), while the front tires are OK (6 or 7/32). I am thinking of getting the Yokohama 215/55 ZR17, which (I think) is a little better than the originals. I do chiefly freeway/city driving in N. California, with little or no snow driving.

My question is: should I get 2 tires or 4? If I get 2 now, does that affect tire rotations? :confuse:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I would replace them as a set of 4.

1/32 is basically "bald". They are overdue for replacement.

Frank got some cool Plus Zero sized Kumhos, FWIW.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "On my automatic transmission, when I put on the spare tire I disconnect the AWD and turn the vehicle into a FWD, so is the 50 mile limit only for the stick shifts? Could somebody explain this to me?"

On disabling the AWD, the manual says that only applies to the 4EAT. On page 9-3 the manual says:
    "All AWD AT non-turbo models without Vehicle Dynamics Control system: Before driving your vehicle with the temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside the FWD connector in the main fuse box located in the engine compartment and confirm that the Front Wheel Drive warning light "AWD" in the combination meter comes on. The all wheel drive capability of the vehicle has now deactivated. After re-installing the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from the FWD connector in order to reactivate all wheel drive."

So, the steps called for by the Owners Manual are:

FLAT ON FRONT
    1. Remove a rear tire.
    2. Install the temporary spare in its place.
    3. Remove the flat front tire.
    4. Install the rear tire in its place.
    5. Remove the storage tray and its contents from the spare tire well.
    6. Put the flat tire in the well.
    -- And for the 4EAT automatic transmission:
    7. In the fusebox, install the spare fuse in the FWD slot to disable AWD.
    8. A sticker on the temporary spare warns not to exceed 50 mph.
    9. Don't drive too far in FWD or damage to drive train may occur.
    10. After the flat tire is fixed, put all 3 tires back in their original places.
    11. Remove the fuse to restore AWD.

FLAT ON REAR
    1. Remove flat tire.
    2. Install the temporary spare in its place.
    3. Remove the storage tray and its contents from the spare tire well.
    4. Put the flat tire in the well.
    -- And for the 4EAT automatic transmission:
    5. In the fusebox, install the spare fuse in the FWD slot to disable AWD.
    6. A sticker on the temporary spare warns not to exceed 50 mph.
    7. Don't drive too far in FWD or damage to drive train may occur.
    8. After the flat tire is fixed, put the 2 tires back in their original places.
    9. Remove the fuse to restore AWD.

In view of all that, I have put a full size spare in my 4EAT. Goes anywhere on the car quick and easy, with no restrictions on speed or distance, or affect on traction if off-road or in snow.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Absolutely replace all four. From the sounds of it, you have not rotated your tires properly. By doing so, you shorten the total life of your tires and put added stress on the AWD system. Rotating tires is simple and fast - you should consider doing it or having it done every 7500 miles.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    My '07 Sports XT automatic now has about 34,000 miles on it. Last week I changed out the four OEM Yoko Geolanders for Yoko Avids (same size), plus had the the wheels aligned and balanced. My early impression is that my MPG has dropped a bit. Where I was getting 22-23 mpg overall, I now seem to be getting around 19-20 mpg. Will increasing the tire pressure possibly increase mileage. I don't want go as high as the stated max psi of 40, but I'm thinking about 37-38 psi.

Opinions and expertise are welcome!
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Very late reply but I have had both the Traction TAs & Kumho Solus KH!16. The Traction TAs had very stiff sidewalls resulting in what I considered an harsh, unpleasant ride. After 15K miles on the Kumhos I am satisfied with them in dry, rain & snow and would consider buying them again.

I recently put Avid TRZs on our Audi A4 & am very pleased with them (no chance to drive in the snow) & will also consider them when buying my next set of tires (note that these are T rated rather than H.
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    After five years and 43,000 miles, it's finally time for me to replace the stock Geolandars on my Forester. The tread is nearly gone on the edges -- I think the recommended psi kept them a tad underinflated. For the past year or so I've kept them at a pound or two over the recommended psi, which seemed to help the wear but made the ride a bit more jarring.

At any rate, now I'm ready for new tires. I'm considering the Michelin Pilot Exaltos, which get great reviews over at Tire Rack, and I put them on my wife's Jetta and she likes them.

Does anyone have any experience using the Exaltos on snow on a Forester? I live in Minnesota and don't own a separate set of winter tires, so that is a concern for me. I did like how the OEM Geos handled in snow. My wife had trouble in snow a couple of times this winter with the Exaltos in her Jetta, but otherwise they've been great. Any Forester owners here using Exaltos in snow?
    Never heard of the Exaltos so can't help you there. However, you are indeed correct that Subaru's recommend psi is to blame for your tires wearing faster on the outside edges. Subaru not surprisingly determined that a lower psi resulted in a better ride (but to the detriment of uniform treadwear). IIRC, I kepy my Geolanders at around 35 psi which was approx halfway between what Subaru recommended and the max pressure rating for that tire.

-Frank
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    casecom2,

I purchased the Pilot Exalto A/S for my '03 Forester back in 2007. See previous posting here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0c9f5e/131

I live in Philadelphia and did get to throw them around in the snow a few times the last two winters.

Bottom line is that I have to say for the money, I'm generally disappointed. They seem to do everything average -- they're not as quiet as I thought they'd be, they don't hold corners as well as my previous Falken Ziex's (which wore too quickly), and they do OK driving on fresh snow, but I think the competence is due more to the AWD than the tires. I wouldn't feel very confident in a blizzard with these. I've even felt the wheel go numb momentarily as I began to hydroplane in a heavy rainfall.

The worst is that they've definitely made the ride feel slightly harsher.

This is partly my fault for thinking high performance all-seasons wouldn't have any negative compromise over touring tires, but if I had to do it all over again, the all-new Michelin Primacy MXV4 would be at the top of my list for the Forester, pending further research.

This is all relative. They're still way better than the OEM Yoko Geolanders, but I'd have been happier if they were closer to $80 a tire for my experience. On the positive side, they seem to be wearing well after ~15k miles, but I don't have any hard numbers at hand to back that up.

I have yet to find a tire with an ideal balance between quiet and smooth ride, good handling, and good foul weather performance. There's always a compromise.

Just my two cents.

Elliot
  • zippy7zippy7 Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from a visit to repair shop and they tell me that I need to replace four tires because the two rear tires are bad either from mal alignment or pothole distress. They say I can't just replace two because it might cause transmission problems. "Gears will be working against gears." Is this true?
    Well, the rolling circumference must be within 1/4" of each other.

If the tires are worn, I'd replace all 4. If they're new-ish (less than 10k miles), you can probably change just 2. I'd put the new ones on the front axle if you do that.
  • zippy7zippy7 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if all tires need to be replaced on a forrester, if one or more of them go bad.
    See the post right before yours from ateixeira.

The bottom line is if they have much wear on them then yes, you have to replace all four. The only alternative is to find a tire shop willing to shave a new tire down to the same circumference as the others.

The reason for this is if all four tires aren't essentially the same rolling circumference, they AWD system will think one wheel is slipping slightly and will constantly be trying to compensate.

-Frank

P.S. There's only one R in Forester ;)
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the suggestion -- I will look into the Primacy. Looks like they're highly rated at Tire Rack, and probably a better fit with my driving style than high-performance tires anyway.
  • jeep1988jeep1988 Member Posts: 40
    I just purchased a set of Yokohama Avid TRz tires for my 06 Forester; NTB/Tire Kingdom recommended these. These tires are t-rated ; my question - is it ok to use a t-rated tire on the Forester? I do not go off road or drive faster than 75-80 on the highway. I have a 30 day return policy; hopefully it is ok. Thanks.
    It's generally not recommended only because a lower speed rated tire is less resistant to heat build-up.

I think you'll be OK for your type of driving, just make sure your tire pressure is always up to spec, because that's the other primary factor.
  • gariongarion Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys & gals-

I'm hoping you might have a solution to an annoying problem here. I have an '01 Forester and within the last 2-3 years find that I have to put air in the Alloy Wheels every week. It seems to lose a good 5psi a week.

I did a little research on this and hear it might be corrosion. Do you think that rings true?

I have garaged my Forester since day 1, and am embarrassed to admit my mileage because it's very low. I'll admit to driving it in snow, salted roads in NYC and didn't give it a good wash. Could that be the cause?

Any advice would be grateful. I figure you guys are the experts on this. (I'm glad to see Teixeira is still here - way back in '00 I was here for help on buying my '01 and he was here back then).
    While it could be the rims, I would look to either the tires themselves or the valves and valve stems. There are rubber seals in there that can break down over time. Most tire places, especially around here in NYC/NNJ will not replace them when replacing tires.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I agree with Mike. Check the tires and/or valves (and make sure there are caps on each valve). You say your mileage is really low. By any chance do you still have the original tires? If so, they could be leaking, as they deteriorate over time, no matter how low the mileage is.

(I also have a 2001 Forester. Mine has 181,000 miles and is getting its 4th set of tires soon.)

Len
    How bad is your milage? I'm in NYC also and with the traffic my milage drops pretty drastically.

-mike
    Coolness. I'll check the tires and valves. Ummm. Another stupid question. What am I looking for when looking at the tires/valves? Although, I'll have my mechanic look at it at the next checkup(I did mention the tire situation, so I assumed he looked at the valves/tire thing - he suggested I go to a tire place and didn't mention any deterioration). I'll still check it out myself.

The valves definitely have caps. And they are the original tires.

181,000 miles, leo2633!!! Man, I so don't want to reveal my mileage. It's almost 18,000. I can hear the shock and laughter now.

Thanks guys!!!

-Jeff
    7+ year old tires are shot no matter how you slice it, even if there is tread the rubber itself is definitely dried out and that's most likely where you are losing your air. The other problem is that they lose their adhesiveness at that age as well. They may have been sitting around for a year or 2 before even being put on your car too, so now we are close to 10 year old tires.

-mike
    18K miles on a 2001? Wow! Original tires? I'm sure that's the problem. They tend to "dry rot" (ever see a really old rubber band?) and this can be why they are losing air. Not only that, but the rubber becomes less pliable, which can affect tire performance. I'd recommend 4 new tires as soon as possible. I think that will solve the problem of losing air on a regular basis. Good luck!

Len
    Mike, Len - Thanks!!!

Do you guys have any tires you'd particular recommend and should I go to a tire place, Subaru dealer or get the tires and let my mechanic do it. Doesn't it have to be wheel balanced? Can only Subaru dealers do this correctly? I hope I'm not being a pain and asking too many questions. I'll figure it out, if I am.

Len, yeah. I work in the city, so I don't get to drive as much as I should. I wonder why I have a car sometimes. But, it's convenient and I like my Sube.
    For about the last 7 years or so, I've purchased all my tires from The Tire Rack, which you can find on-line. I have been extremely satisfied with their service and selection, and recommend them highly. I order from them and have them shipped directly to my regular mechanic, who installs them for me. I'm on my 2nd set (and will soon be ordering a 3rd set) of Continental ContiExtremeContact. I've been very happy with these, and just put a 2nd set on my wife's '03 Outback. My Forester is an "S", with a stock tire size of 215-60-16, but if yours is an "L", the stock size is 205-70-15. I don't believe the Conti is available in that size, though. However, if you read through these boards, you will find lots of recommendations for tires from others with more experience than mine, so do a little research for more options. Good luck!

Len
    One other point regarding new tires: you need to have them balanced when they are mounted, and have new valves installed as well. This is standard operating procedure for new tires, no matter where you have them done.

Len
    I agree with mike.

I had old tires on my Miata that still had some tread left, but when I de-coded the production date I replaced them.

Grip improved dramatically. The old ones were dry and hard. I was not losing air, though.
    Thanks Len!
    Thanks Mike and ateixeira.
    I appreciate your advice and thoughts.
    I do the same thing, ship to my installer (myself!) and then have em balanced and new stems put on.

I have a few good places I use in NNJ if you are interested, shoot me an e-mail mike @ iace.com

I like the Sumitomo HTR+ for an all season tire.

-mike
  • chris211chris211 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    i have a Forester XS '04 (with the turbo) and need to replace my tires. Can you recommend me something?
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • chris211chris211 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I need to replace my tires for my Forester XS '04 (with turbo). Any recommendation/experience is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    I depends on whether you liked your present tires, or what your use is, or how much you want to pay.

I did not like the road noise from my Geolandars, and do not live in a snow climate. At 3500 miles I replaced them with much quieter but expensive Michelin Primacy MXV4, which is all-season but not very aggressive.

I sold the Geolandars cheap to a friend with an XT '05, who had 45K on his old Geolandars and had no complaints.

After the Primacy, my next choices for quiet all season use were Michelin Pilot Exalto and Goodyear TripleTred.

But if you need the other extreme for snow and offroad, I have heard of Grabbers and Duellers, but they are probably noisy.

In my opinion, the Geolandars were a good compromise for all kinds of driving, the natural tire for Subaru to put on the Forester. I just wanted quiet.
  • sombrasombra Member Posts: 3
    Dear All:

After ~5 years my 2 frontal OE Yokos are finally gone in the shoulders (they lasted almost 40K miles). My Subaru Dealer indicated to get new ones for these only, but given the time that has passed I will replace the rear ones as well.

I checked all your discussion for suggestions about new tires but noticed how preferences (names and brands) have changed in the last 2 years; discussion seems less active as well. I saw the last replies to Chris211 for all season-tires, but could not resist to post and check for the latest in my driving conditions:

Texans hot and rainy roads, mostly 48 mile/day commuting trips in highways at 65-75 mph (you can get killed here if you dare to go at slower speeds during rush hours), consciously aggressive driving (no hard breaking whenever possible, easy at the corners, will demand the turbo if necessary, not afraid to show local Porshe owners FXTs' power from time to time). Also, not hauling of trailers or things like that.

I will like the opportunity to improve the noisy rides I get with my OE Geolanders, hopefully with something that will last about the same. BTW, Will unidirectional tires be something worth to consider in my case?

Many thanks in advance,

Sombra
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I have Kumho Solus HP4s on my 03 Forester XS. Also had these on Audi A4. They are a good all-around tire, relatively quiet, smooth, good traction in all conditions. My only complaint is they have fallen short of mileage warranty by about 20%, but then I take corners pretty fast. They are a very predictable tire & one of the less expensive ones out there for Subie sizing. Tire rack has track tests & lots of consumer reviews for Kuhmo tires, most are very positive.

That said, when I needed new tires for the A4 I replaced the Kuhmos with Yoko TRZs - not sure I can tell much difference between the two, but I anticipate the TRZs lasting a lot longer.
  • packrfanpackrfan Member Posts: 50
    We recently traded our 02 Forester for an 09 but kept the brand new Blizzaks - silly as the 09 has different sized wheels (Thnx Sub!). Any suggestions or ideas on how best to sell these? I'm ok selling them cheap so Ebay shipping costs are likely prohibiitve. Help!
    I sold a set of snow tires with the car. Not sure how much value it added but the buyer did want them.

Or you could advertise locally.
    Thnx for suggestion - had suggestion to post on Craigslist but unsure that'll get visibility. Any suggestions on asking price - e.g. $0.50 on $1.00 new tire cost? In retrospect, I maybe should have included in trade-in but I couldn't get my price so was unwilling to throw in anything of value. D*mn the change in tire size but I love the 09 Forester!
    Considering the cost of those tires and the fact that you will take a considerable hit on depreciation when selling them, you may want to look at getting a separate set of rims for them. As long as smaller rims (15"?) will fit over the brake calipers on your '09, and assuming the the total diameter of the tires are similar, you should have no problems using them.

You can use a website like Tirerack.com to determine tire/wheel compatibility with a given vehicle.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    We have an 09 also, and I previously owned a 98.

I don't think the old rim will fit over the new, bigger brake rotors, but it may be worth a try.
    Yeah, I'm not sure either. I know 16" rims will fit, but don't know beyond that. Most of the increased stock rim sizes in recent years are due to consumer preference more than anything else.

To my budget-conscious mind, it is worth the research! :blush:
    So true, if anything rims have gotten too big - excess unsprung weight, ultra-low profile tires even on family cars, extra cost for replacement tires, etc.
    The 02 was an L and as noted earlier in separate post, tires were 215/60/R16 and not the 15" on the S. The 09 has 225/55/R17. xwesx, you're confident rims fitting the 02 will fit on 09? I orginally bought the 'zaks from Tire Rack but don't recall a tire / wheel compatibility guide - will relook at their site.

Agree, my budget-consciousness prompts me to work this problem for a while. Thnx for input!
    In that case you have a pretty good chance they will fit.

You will lose a bit of ground clearance, though, since the diameter is smaller.
    Oh, that's great info.

Okay, so the 16" rims will, in terms of clearance, fit on the '09. Looking at the size of the tires you specified, the overall diameter of the Blizzaks is: 215mm * 0.60 = 129mm * 2 (to account for both the top and bottom of tire) = 258mm / 25.4mm/in = 10.1575in + 16in = 26.1575in.
    The overall diameter for the stock '09 tires:
    225mm * 0.55 = 123.75mm * 2= 247.5 / 25.4mm/in = 9.744in + 17in = 26.7441 in.

So, the end result is that the '02 tires are essentially 0.59" shorter than the stock '09 setup. That means your speedometer will read a little high, as will your odometer rack up miles slightly faster than actual. Is there a problem with that? Only in relation to your warranty, since it expires at 36,000 miles.... ;) Honestly, I am not sure of the conversion to the actual difference in rolling distance, but you're welcome to calculate the tire circumference and go from there.

The base model 2009 Forester comes stock with 215/65/R16, which has a calculated diameter of 27.004", so that is 1/4" larger still than the 17" tires. When looking at the compatibility chart, Tire Rack recommends 225/55/R17 as compatible when using 17" rims. But, it also indicates that 215/60/R16 is an optional size with 16" rims, so my guess is that they do not affect the speed/distance readings too much.

Good luck!
    Those tires would cost him 0.3" in ground clearance, also (half the diameter).

Probably not that significant.
    Guys, both comments are very helpful - thnx for sharing this info. great example of the value of this forum! I'll keep you advised (but with Chicago in the 60's and sunny today, hopefully i won't need the 'zak's any more this season - said wishfully!).

BTW, the 09 purchased end July has <3500 miles (good news, obviously & bad news - have yet to do road trip in it) but it means a very slightly fast odo won't be a problem! And knowing the speedo is fast, i have instant justification! :shades:
    My curiosity got the best of me. I felt the urge to know how much the different tires would affect the speedometer and odometer, based on calibration for the 225/55/R17 tires. Here are the results:

----Size------Circumference---Diameter----Rotations--------%-------ODO at 36,000 miles
    215/60/R16-------82.176-------26.1575-------771.026-------1.022-------36807
    225/55/R17-------84.019-------26.7441-------754.115-------1.000-------36000
    215/65/R16-------84.836-------27.0040-------746.857-------0.990-------35654

So, with the '02 tires, your speed sensor is 2.2% high.