Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I thought Juan was busy growing coffee off in some tropical rain forest! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    OBDII was mandated for all vehicles by the US Govt. Most manufacturers discovered their misfired a lot more than they thought when they started with OBDII. CEL's for many new issues started showing up, like loose gas caps. GEMS was the only system readily to Land Rover available when the requirement was instituted. Coincidentally it was a Lucas system.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Lucas. We should have known.

At last shudder, The Prince of Darkness was seen buying feeshing boats to use in the oil cleanup, and sending all the native fish farmers south to become coffee farmers.

And "Wreckson" continues to fight their court battle.

About the pronunciation of "Valdez" ... do this: put your mouth in a grimace, as if you're freezing to death. Now bare your teeth just a little, like you're shivering uncontrollably and trying to be happy about it. Now, holding that pose, say the word "Valdez."

See? It's not nurture, it's nature.
  • rwalker4rwalker4 Member Posts: 3
    I'm very interested in joining the Land Rover community, however, I am looking into whether I should look into the Range Rover or the Disco II. I will be buying used and wonder which is the better vehicle based on dependability. The Range Rover has many more options and the air suspension, however, I wonder about the reliability of such a system.

Any direction would be appreciated.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I hear that Range Rover is a little more expensive on upkeep. I'm sure someone here would have more info though.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    er Dollars that is :) Just took her in today for the 15k service and it ran $340 (with synthetic oil). They also replaced two cracked light fixtures and lights (front running light and one of the rear bumper brake lights), so my total bill was $500 and change. All this for a vehicle that hasn't even seen it's first year - ouch! :)

But I took her out last weekend and spanked her for the first time on some trails. On the way back, I was driving pretty fast down a dirt road when I hit a piece of broken pavement. Split the sidewall on the right rear tire. Another $200 there.

So, after a $700 week, I was happy to see that the boys in England didn't make me use one of those useless crank jacks to change the tire - there's a pretty high quality bottle jack under the hood that did the job just wonderfully. Entire change took less than 10 minutes - I've spent that much time just wrestling with accordion jacks in the past :)

Enough complaining now - Lucas has stuck my 2001 Discovery and my 'passion' (or is that anger?) for Landies is now returning again! For awhile there I thought I was driving a Toyota...

Happy Rovering!

Wasko
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sorry for the major spam attack, but this one kinda sounds like fun...

A contact of ours is looking for a group of luxury SUV enthusiasts who would be willing to come to Irvine, CA August 24th from 9am to 3pm for a test drive, focus group and lunch. Participants will be compensated for their time. If you are interested in participating in this event, please send an email with your contact information as well as the model vehicle you drive to: chotti@earthlink.net.
    Thanks for your consideration!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gpiotrasgpiotras Member Posts: 1
    I got my Disco II about a month ago. Although at the beginning I did not notice any noise (audio system too loud?), in the last couple of weeks I notice a bit of a "humming" noise coming from the drive train or transmission. The pitch of this sound increases as speed increases. I also noticed a "clanking" sound when I let the gas go and press the pedal again (at about 70 mls/hr.). Does anyone know if these sounds/noises are normal. Should I be concerned?
    Does not sound normal.
    The SI Disco has a gear-driven transfer box, and it makes a lovely whining sound as I drive. I believe the SII Disco uses the same basic box so what you're hearing is probably normal. Mine is pretty high-pitched and MUCH more noticeable in low range, coming from the same location (beneath the front right seat).

As for a "clank", that doesn't seem right. These beasts have a lot of play in the drivetrain but it's usually characterized as a "clonk". Lifting off the throttle and then gassing it at speed I feel and hear deep/heaving clonks in the drivetrain but it's obviously big heavy pieces of steel moving about. A "clank" sounds like a driveshaft noise or perhaps u-joints. Crawl under the truck and grab the driveshafts (while in park) and twist hard one way, then the other. There shouldn't be much play at all. If there is, or if you hear the same sound then try to locate it. If anything's worn it's most likely to be a u-joint; check the ends of the shafts closest to the differentials.

You can also try putting it in park and then pushing it from the front bumper... it will roll back an inch or two and then you'll hear the clonk. If it's a clank then have someone do the same pushing as you listen from the side. Is it fore or aft? Just track it down to whatever is loose.

Good luck, -Bob
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    sounds like normal LR noise to me. Both my 99 and 00 Discovery make the noises described. The whine in the 99 t-case was so loud LR replaced the whole unit for a slight improvement. On the 00, it's not too bad. The clonk when lifting off the throttle and getting back on sounds like hell, but that's all - don't worry about it.
  • rmusantermusante Member Posts: 2
    I am within 48 hours of buying a 01 Disco II SE with less than 15k miles from the Portland OR. dealer. The price is $29,500. This was my first time test driving a Land Rover and I fell in love with the car. We spent 3 hours with our salesman. Test drove both the Freelander and DiscoII. The Disco was less money for more vehicle. My BIG question... I've read most of the postings and know there can be many problems. I live 3 hours from the only dealership and if I have anywhere near the problems others have I will deeply regret buying this SUV. Is it worth it if you don't have a local dealer? By the way the Jeep GC limited is a better SUV on paper but read the message board and you can see Dam/Chry has been buying back a lot of lemons and putting gag orders on the customers. I have a dealer 20 minutes away. This is a Big decision. Please help.
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    I tried to post this previously, but I don't see it anywhere and suspect the service provider trouble we were having at the time prevented the posting. If it did post, my apologies.

It's zee tires boss, zee tires. From the flatlands of LA to AR to NM to CO to UT and back. What a ride. I want to post more later, particularly specifics about offroad experiences and unique handling experiences like the HDC, braking, etc., but my primary concern at the moment is the tires, 18 inchers to be exact that come with the ACE system. There is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION that thew DII will handle most everything you put it though offroad; it is just one MAGNIFICENT vehicle that keeps going and going, especially compared to the Grand Cherokee.

With such tremendous offroad capability and endurance, why oh why would the Brits put low profile touring tires on it. They don't do rocks very well, if at all, and boy do they go flat easily. Its like putting ballerina slippers on Hulk Hogan. On Rocks, they are in SEVERE DANGER of pinching because of the low profile, even inflated in the rear to the recommended 48 psi. And I guarantee you if you run 28 psi in the front for rock crawling, they will pinch. Even at 48, there precioous little space with the pich down, less that 1/2". It's enough to make me yearn for those big fat 16 inchers you see on the Toyota 4-Runners.

Negociating sand and mud with these tires is also very difficult because of lack of traction, which is not helped with the high psi; but if you're alternating sand and rock stretches of roads like in Moab, UT, you can't constantly be inflating and deflating. So on a long sandy stretch you get a little momentum going and hope for the best while watching the Traction System light up like a xmas tree on your dashboard. Steep rocky and loose sandy inclines, or muddy ones, are the same and unnerving when the drop off to your immediate right is a long way down and the trail "ain't" so wide to start off with. I saw a Jeep Wrangler with decent off road tires make a rocky/sandy ascent quite easily compared to what my DII had to do; that is keep up speed, but not too much because you still have rocks to negociate.

And the flats. Four in all. One the tire repair shop could not find the problem until he removed the tire from the rim and found a piece of wire about the width of a human hair. He could not believe it punctured the tire. Another was a SMALL ROCK. It had to be repaired with a plug because the shop didn't have the equipment to handle an 18" rim.

I also see a post above about a sidewall blowout from hitting broken pavement. Although the tire size is not stated, that sounds like an 18 incher pinching. The cost of $200 sounds like an 18 incher too.

When I bought her (2001 SE7 w/ACE), I expressed concern about the low profile tires off road, but was told they would not be a problem. WRONG. In fact, on one particular pass in Silverton, CO, a local told me he would not attempt it with "those tires". 16" Goodyear Wranglers would be fine, though.

I've looked high and low for a more suitable 18" off road tire to no avail. They are all "touring" models. So unless someone lets me know of a better option, it looks like I may have to spend the money to get a 16" set of rims and decent tires on them. It is a shame that a vehicle like this with such great off road ability comes equipped with tires that won't do the job, nor can you get any that will without changing rims.

Like I said, I will post more later about this incredible climbing/decending machine. It has some awesome features and ability.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    " ... if I have anywhere near the problems others have I will deeply regret buying this SUV."

Given that statement, I think you should buy a lightly used Toyota Land Cruiser. It will give you 80% of the Disco's off--road ability, 110% of the Disco's on-road ability, and 200% of the Disco's reliability.

I love Land Rovers. but if little bothersome, warranty repairs, glitches and 'issues" will cause you strife, then the Discovery is not for you.

I'm actually quite fond of the last generation Land Cruiser which was replaced in '98. It had a big, torquey, bullet proof 4.2 liter straight six, could be had with 3 locking diffs, and was even more the Disco's equal off-road. A nice '96 or '97 will cost you ten grand less then a new Discovery and give you WAY fewer headaches.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/toyota/landcruiser/4drstd4wdwagon/prices.html

I thought those had 4.5 litre sixes in them. It's tough to find one with low miles. Great vehicle . There is a supercharger available for it too.
    You are right, it's a 4.5, my bad. :-)
  • rmusantermusante Member Posts: 2
    Would you still buy the DiscoII SE if you had to drive 3 hours each way to have anything done to it?
    Just my opinion, and I am not a Disco owner (yet!), but probably not if I still had some warranty left.

I live a solid 2 hours from the nearest Rover dealer and plan on buying a used Disco in a couple of years. But mine will be out of warranty, and I -lan to do most of the work on it myslelf. Or, I have good, local shops that can work on it.
  • craniocranio Member Posts: 4
    This is not a disco question but I follow this board regularly and I know that you know a lot about landrovers. I'm thinking about buying a 1998 RR anniversary edition it has 39000 miles and is till under factory warranty or so they say. My question is does LR sell extended warranties for their vehicles if they are not bought from LR dealers. If not can you suggest any other warranty that will be comprehensive. I love both the disco and the RR but don't want to get caught holding a lemon any other purchase advise from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. if I can get the vin # can you run a check on it for me. Once again I appreciate your help.
    You can get an extended warranty through Hal Moses.
    I just got an excellent email from Atlantic-British describing a very common problem with older Rovers. Here's the gyst of it... this is worth filing under "things to watch out for"

You can find these guys at Roverparts.com

-------------------------------------------------
    How to avoid "steering shake"

A very common symptom in Classic Range Rovers (and Series I Discos -ed.) is a very bad shake in the steering when hitting road bumps -- especially on curves. It often goes on for several seconds, and can be caused by several possible culprits. Here are some simple things you can do to check the problems yourself:

Power Steering Box - If your steering box is leaking, and it probably is if you haven’t already replaced it, we offer rebuilt steering boxes to solve the problem. If there is excessive play in the steering box it can be adjusted, best left to a mechanic familiar with Range Rovers.

Rear Trailing Arm Bushing - These may be failing - to check, get a straight, fairly smooth section of highway, get to about 40 mph then step on the gas and then let off. Repeat several times. If you have to compensate with the steering wheel you probably have bad rear trailing arm bushings.

Pan Hard Rod Bushing Kit - These may be spent - to check, start the car (in Park, of course), open the driver's side window, stand beside the car and move the steering wheel back and forth (about 25 degrees). If you see the front wheels still and the body moving the chances are you have bad pan hard rod bushings (be sure to change the nuts & bolts when doing the job!).

Tie Rod Ends - Check the tie rod ends for play. Always change them in pairs. 

Bilstein Steering Damper - Acting like a shock absorber for your steering wheel, the Bilstein Steering Damper is a definite upgrade over your stock damper (which often suffers leaks leading to poor performance).
    ----------------------------------------------
  • bthigpenbthigpen Member Posts: 3
    i bought a Y2K DII a couple of months ago and have been wondering about the origin of a particular noise. whenever i accelerate from a start and i'm on any kind of incline, it sounds like a large plastic spring is "unspringing" in the left side of the driver's foot well. sorry about the poor description, but i guess you'd know what i mean if you've heard it. i don't expect that this represents a problem in any way, just an idiosyncrasy.

also, ABS system seems to engage with minimal braking at VERY slow speeds. is this a problem or does the ABS in the rover just coddle you more than lesser vehicles?

thanks.
    Hmmmmmmmm, I've had my DI in every conceivable situation and condition for 5 years and I haven't heard a noise like that.

Hmmmmmmmm, your ABS is that sensitive? I activate mine ALL THE TIME in winter, but only very rarely offroad... and that's only under *very* aggressive driving.

Those two together make me wonder about your ABS sensor on the front left wheel. I wonder if it's pushed in too far? It lives in a hole thru a shim stack (that adjusts the swivel pin preload) and I know on the DI it's possible to get it pushed in too far. Not real sure if this is true with the DII, but take a look. See if it "looks" the same as the right side.

Just a hunch, -Bob
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    We have a D2 that also makes that "springing" noise. It is not an annoying noise but it certainly is often commented on by passengers. Suggestions received so far from (admittedly not mechanically trained) passengers include :

it is a trapped rabbit (cat, guinea pig, fox or hedgehog) trying to free itself

it is a chap who made the disco who got built into the chassis by falling asleep on the job

it is a spring in the engine (gear box, aircon) that came loose

it is the clockwork mechanism known to exist in all landrovers that goes "bong" every time it needs wound up

Anyone got a better - or even the right - idea ?
  • modendahlmodendahl Member Posts: 22
    On your ABS question - my 00' Disco II also had the ABS engaging constantly. I believe that there was a recall for the ABS sensor last year. When mine was in for service, the dealer performed the work and it seems to be much more reasonable now. I've also posted here about the cost of doing a brake job and needing new rotors as well - though the new sensor did not seem to have an effect on that.
  • br3ttcbr3ttc Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem noise w/ my Disco. After nearly a year I found the source to be a rather large pancake bushing that mounts the frame to the chassis that sits just inside the the front left wheel well.

Two turns on the 20mm bolt and no more noise.
  • br3ttcbr3ttc Member Posts: 2
    I've got an 97 Disco I w/ approx. 76K miles on her. She has run great until until this weekend when the Valve in the number three cylinder started sticking.

I've heard that this problem is very common on older Discos and would like to have Land Rover address the issue with a technical upgrade to ensure I am not in this same boat again next year.

Total repair costs look to be around $1200-1500 dollars. Is this typical as well?
    This is indeed a problem, though not that common. It began with the 1996 model year and the advent of the GEMS system.

There is a technical solution involving "carbon cutting" valves. Their stems have a sharp lip on the stem that rides inside the valev guide, preventing buildup of gum (unburnt fuel/oil). It only occurs on the exhaust valves and no amount of additives will prevent it. Periodically driving the hell out of your truck will sometimes prevent it happening.

Are you sure it's sticking, to the point of a diagnosed misfire? ODBII will store those codes. Does downshifting and flooring it seem to get your power back? Is there a noticeable loss of power? It's also common to hear valvetrain tick on these engines... and those are two radically different problems.

If it's valvetrain tick with no power loss, then try changing oil and filter a couple times frequently (10-30w) to scrub her out. I'd do it at 200 mile intervals 2 or 3 times.

Can you provide more details? If you do have the carbon cutting valves put in, it should never come back. I had it done at 20k miles and now at 75k I've had zero trouble in 3.5 years.

Whoops! Lord Lucas you DID NOT hear that!! :)
  • jenmcspjenmcsp Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are planning on a Discovery 2 purchase in the next few months. We live in Texas, and we don't currently have a garage- won't for at least 3 years. Most of the Discovery 2's that we have seen (we are buying used) come with rear AC only as part of the rear seat package. There is a big cost difference, and so we needed some advice or input as to the necessity of rear AC or how well will the front vents cool the back seat.
    I hear the front works just fine. It is a V8, so it should throw out more than descent cold air.
    I have had no problem at all keeping my back seats cool. Of course we live in Alaska, and that may have something to do with it.

*grin*
  • mbeigheymbeighey Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any information concerning the quality of the 03 Dicovery's brush guards? Is the all steel or soft foam a better brush guard? Which grill guard do you think would be stronger? Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, Nanuq. I'll give you about 3 more weeks until you can get out and bust some berms.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The modular steel brush bar is stronger. The foam covered protection bar meets european pedestrian impact standards, so will bend more readily.
  • texlaw2texlaw2 Member Posts: 3
    I own an 03 Discover SE and live in Texas. I went round and round with this issue. If you only use the rear seat occasionally, then you won't need a rear a/c. However, if you have small children or use the back to carry a dog, you will want a rear a/c given the Texas summers. It was only 750.00 more for the option on the a/c, so I went for it and have used it often and I can promise you, my rear passengers, including my baby, are very greatful. The problem with only the front vents is that they are not very large. While the air is cold, there just isn't as much coming out as with some other makes. Hope this helps.
    Yep we're already down to 35F at night here, and the colors are changing FAST. I hiked out to Hidden lake today (between the Ramp and the Wedge) and it's way late Fall up there. The fireweed is all bloomed out, so it's coming! And fast... the geese and reindeer are all herded up and moved away. I think it's going to be an early, and cold winter.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Nanuq (and others from Seattle):

Do any of you know of any apple cider mills in the Seattle area? Web searches are coming up empty.

Coming from Michigan, this was part of our fall routine - visiting the mills for cider and fresh donuts. As it starts to rain a bit and the nights are getting colder, I'm remembering back to fond trips in the '96 DI to cider mills around MI.

Thanks and Happy Rovering, wasko
  • calcascalcas Member Posts: 1
    Hey Tex, I'm also from Texas and was shopping around for a 2003 SE/HSE. I was wondering where you got your's and if you were able to get it under the MSRP? Also, what extras did you opt for?
    thanks for any help, Joe
    Hey it's good to hear from you! I don't know of any cider mills, but... try the tour at Chateau Ste Michelle. Wooohooooooo what a place! You can get some wine and cheese and pastry and wander the grounds for picnics.

It was a nippy bike ride this morning, but it has warmed up to 45F again. Not quite time for the studs yet!

-Bob
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    I've had a '01 Disco for over a year now with rear ac. I live in Houston and summers are really hot & humid. If you have children or dogs, you should really consider getting the rear ac. On another note, has anyone had any SLS problems. The rear end of my Disco has been jolting from side to side like a roller coaster. I have seen the SLS light come on before and had the dealer check it out, but they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. Today, the SLS (orange & red) lights came on and the jolting started. This happens when the car is stationary, but not when the vehicle is rolling?? Any one have any similar experiences? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Odiopus
  • texlaw2texlaw2 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased mine from LandRover Dallas. I shopped around with all the Land Rover dealers in Texas and the best I could get was $700 below MSRP for 03, SE no extra options. One of the problems is Land Rover Dallas, Frisco and Austin are all under the same ownership so its virtually impossible to get them to bid against each other. If you are looking to lease, I had some luck w/leasing companies getting $1200 off MSRP. Ultimately, I decided against that and went through the dealer. Given the past propensity for needing repairs, I wanted to have an advocate on my side (salesman) if necessary. I've run into situations with other dealers (BMW) and my salesman has been wonderful in running interference for me whenever necessary. Good luck. And by the way, the 03 is great.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    It is great that Land Rover finally did something about the engine and minor extrior and interior change on 2003 Discovery II. Again, they should pay more attention to rear passenger access. I test drove on when it was redesigned in 1999. I didn't like the narrow access for rear passenger and without a real 3rd row seat like MDX and Explorer.
  • hyphenshyphens Member Posts: 1
    hello All, I am 48 hours away from signing on the dotted line with my local dealer on a 03 HSE7 with ace,rear a/c, for $41,600. Any feedbacks on this deal greatly appreciated. Also hear that LR(ford!!!!!ugh) 04 or05 Discos will be redesigned (not sure that is a good thing) This may be the last chance to get on board a new Disco before the new sheetmetal no longer makes a Disco what a Disco has endearingly been for so many years.
  • cterrescterres Member Posts: 4
    Are the [Union Jack + Land Rover + Stars & Stripes] decals on the rear windows of 2003 Disco's "standard equipment"? Does anyone know the reasoning behind them? (I think it adds to the vehicle's personality)
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    I wish all you people who are complaining about 3rd. row seats, needing rear air, etc. would realize and remember that the LR is first and foremost an off-road truck - NOT a damn VAN for soccer-moms. It has a short wheelbase for a reason. And who the hell goes off-roading with 7 people on board? If you need a van - get one, and leave LR alone with your complaints - it's perfect the way it is.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Dead right.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    But how will they let everybody know about their active lifestyle with a minivan?

Also, you cant let anybody know you're rich with a minivan.

Gotta have the SUV!
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    if you need to seat 7 in comfort...AND drive an SUV at the same time, check out this vehicle. It is perfect for you!

http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Ford-Excursion/

• jlzjlz Member Posts: 5
    I am 2001 DII (LE) owner for about 15 months.
    So far (16K) no major problems, except excessive
    wear of both front tires. Judging from the wear pattern,
    looks like alignment problem. "Service advisor"
    suggested rotating tires (for a $45 fee)...
    I know it's contrary to what the book says, but I run my tires inflated to 50psi front and back. They're Nokia Hakkapeliitta LT10s (or however the heck you spell it!) and they're rated up to 85psi. I still have great handling, the ride is harsher than stock, and my weird treadwear issues are over.

The book calls for 28psi front and 38psi rear, if I remember. That's partly to guarantee understeer in corners, probably to minimize rollover potential in abrupt lane changes. When I still had my stock tires I bumped the fronts up to 34psi and the rears stayed at 38. I had better handling, better mileage and the treadwear was better. Yours might likewise benefit. But you're on your own as far as risk goes... I'm only offering opinion.

The alignment should be about zero toe. I believe mine is set 1/8" toe-out from straight ahead.

When you have it jacked/blocked up to rotate the tires yourself, check your brake pads. I go thru a set of front pads every 15-17k miles. They are a snap to replace, it's a very gratifying job. When you swap your tires front to back (same side) make sure to reset your pressures.

Best regards, -Bob