Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Real World MPG

Comments

• ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    Nordy 200's advice sounds good to me. In terms of tire pressure specs you should also look at the maximum pressure spec on the tire sidewall (often 44 PSI). Generally auto makers give lower pressure specs to use the softer tire to decrease ride harshness and road noise. For better efficiency, performance and tire longevity I would choose the tire makers spec, for a smoother ride with less noise I would opt for the automakers spec.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Trust me I belive you! I jump up and down IF I get 18mpg! And I get that only because I use synthetic oil,and I changed the spark plugs to 'Bosch Plus 4's'. With them, and driving VERY carefully..I get 16-19. 19mpg is on a rare week or two of not using the A/C...which does not happen this time of year in south fla. I have taken it into the dealer and they say the computer is working perfectly and there is nothing wrong. It is 'the way you drive...and it is all city driving'...so its MY fault. Most of the people on here dont belive me either. so I stopped complaining about it. I just note when I get 18 or 19 mpg!Thats a big day when I top off and get that mileage.
  • sun44sun44 Member Posts: 18
    What's the sad part..is that we as consumers are lead to believe that these cars are GREAT on gas mileage, and we fall for it. Yeah I would say it's out fault for listening to their hogwash. I'll just hold onto it for a couple of years, and off it goes..
  • nordy200nordy200 Member Posts: 14
    Good advice here-driving only a few miles each way to work will keep the computer in open loop mode and you will never, ever, get mileage anywhere close to what's been advertised for the car. If there was something wrong with the fuel injection system (bad injectors, fuel pressure problems, or a vacuum leak) then the computer would set a code and cause the check engine light to come on. A problem like the hand brake hanging would not set a code but would only make the engine work harder. Of course, tire pressure is also extremely important (low tire pressure in my F-150 reduced mileage 15%-that's huge) and should be set at or a little above the recommended amount. Using the A/C has more effect on mileage with a small engine (my F-150 gets the same mileage whether or not I use the A/C) and driving an automatic can compound these problems as well. If a car had all these situations going on at once, plus a driver who kept the revs up and was driving agressively, then I would not be surprised at all if someone got only 18-19 mpg (or less) in an Aveo. That being said, the Aveo isn't a Honda and it isn't a Toyota and at it's best may not be as efficient as a comparable model from those companies.
    I don't mean to criticise or disbeleive our fellow forum members who are reporting these low mileage figures. It's just that with modern OBD-II computer controlled engines these low MPG reports may be (and certainly could be) caused by operating parameters that the computer just isn't designed to control.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    okey guys..... just took a trip out to east texas from plano...and I used 4.3 gallons to go 162 miles and that was round trip. Not bad.. .... feel really bad for the guy getting such sucky mileage out of his car...I dont know if I have just been lucky of what myself. Did they check the oxygen sensor.... know when that went out on my old metro my mileage went from 36 around town to 22-24 and I just about freaked out.
    The O2 sensor certainly can cause lower mileage, but in todays OBDII computer controlled cars, it would set a check engine light for out of range voltage on the sensor.
  • rhonda10rhonda10 Member Posts: 21
    I am a woman and have had my car for almost year. After much tracking of mileage I have come to the conclusion that I have consistently been getting about 25 city and about 31 highway, which to me is great considering my 4 cylinder Subaru only gave me 19 city and in the low 20's highway. Now with that I can also say that I do not think that my driving habits are out of the norm and the choice of gasoline manufacturers [76, Arco, Mobil, etc.] that I use varies. For the most part the little car performs pretty much as I expected and to date I love my car. Good luck and I hope your mileage ultimately gets better.
  • ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    I haven't had to check out the Aveo's system yet, but as I understand it the computer runs in open loop mode to help warm up the catalytic converter until it reads that temp sensors have hit a preprogrammed "operating temperature". In at least some cars these sensors can provide incorrect readings without making the engine throw a code. If the temperature was read incorrectly low by the computer you might stay in open loop.

I have read that you can buy a resistor to make your computer read a higher than actual temperature, so that you exit open loop sooner.
    I wouldn't even know where to start looking for something like that. I keep hearing that the car's not broken in good yet. When I first got the car, I got good gas mileage, until I'd had it about two weeks, and then it went to pot. No more good gas mileage. I went over 200 miles on my first tank of gas. And I usually buy gas at the same place, or try to. It just makes me sick. I have 2086 miles on this car now. Doesn't make sense to buy a car that you aren't saving gas with. And nobody will give you a good trade in value on them right after you purchase one, so you have to wait till they're almost paid off.
    I was also given the option of going to the better business bureau..what's the point. They win
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    I have a new 2007 AVEO RS Sedan that I took delivery on April 28th of this year. The EnerGuide Canadian Fuel Consumption guide lists the fuel consumption figures as:

City: 8.9litres/100km or 32 mpg
    Highway: 5.9 litres/100km or 48 mpg

I have been using The Natural Resources Canada Car Economy Calculator that is free for the asking. I drive on average about 60% on the freeway and 40% city. Using the calculator for the past few months has shown that my AVEO gets on average about 36-40 MPG or 8.1 litres per 100km to 7.0 litres per 100km.

I don't understand why I am reading reports of very high fuel consumption. Have you complained to your dealerships and GM that you are getting nowhere near the figures you were expecting?

:confuse: :sick: :lemon:
    "In at least some cars these sensors can provide incorrect readings without making the engine throw a code. If the temperature was read incorrectly low by the computer you might stay in open loop."

You are right about this- the computer could think that the engine is always "cold" and would be always enriching the fuel. A competent and thorough tech should check this out for any customer such as sun44 who reports such poor mileage. The car should be left at the dealer overnight and then checked (resistance of the sensor) when first started and then when fully warmed up. Thermostat operation should also be checked to make sure it's closing when needed to make the engine warm up.
    They put my car on a machine, and told me it was doing fine, and all that blah blah blah..I have called the company, and they told me that the people at the dealership are their eyes and ears, so nothing I say will matter. For all I know they might not even have driven the car, or put it on the computer. You're not allowed in the bay. I've fussed till I'm blue in the face..according to them, there's not a thing wrong with it.
    I suggest that you carefully document first of all, your complaint including actual mpg's with gas receipts, over as long a period as possible, then produce a timeline of all your trips to the dealer including what was written on the service order each time you have dropped the car off and then what was written down on each work order when you picked up the car, and the results of any contact you have had with any corporate office people. In situations like this, documentation is key: get in writing every response from the dealer and every response from the Chevrolet manufacturers rep. Write a clear, dispassionate, and concise letter that includes every single detail of your experience, in a timeline format, with your car and follow the "chain of command" up the corporate ladder. In each written contact that you make always state A) The specific problem you are requesting that they deal with being sure at every step of the way to attach any and all documentation you have, B) Why you have not received satisfaction, per their standards, and C) What type of resolution you are requesting. Send your letter to the dealer first, requesting resolution, then if they do not satisfy you, follow up with the zone office, and whatever the next level contact is.
    Get personal contact info if possible at Chevrolets corporate offices and always, always, always, send letters to them with return receipt requested. There are specific steps to take in these types of disputes and by following their chain of command, you can force their hand and make them deal with the problem, or at least create an evidence trail for the next step.
    Talking on the phone will not produce a paper trail and will get people to do whatever they can to get you off the phone and out of their hair. You can't fuss and you can't rant as that will only create negativity, even if the dealer and Chevrolet totally deserve it. It's too bad that you have to go to a lot of trouble to get this taken care of but if there is indeed a problem with your car, only with adequate documentation will Chevrolet ever do anything for you. The following claims by Chevrolet will surface: it is due to your tire pressure, your driving style, your use of A/C, your driving very short distances on each drive, the fact that you might have an automatic transmission, etc, etc, etc. These are all very valid reasons for mileage to be much lower than expected by you or claimed by Chevrolet. Be prepared for this, provide evidence supporting your position, and do it all in writing.
    Good luck and do not give up-they will absolutely try to wear you down!
  • jayman1967jayman1967 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Aveo with 80,000 miles on it and climbing. I consistantly get 38-42 mph on my 5 speed. What is a amazing about this car is the only thing I have done to it is I changed the front tires at 70,000 miles and the back ones are still going. Next week I have to bring it in to get the alternator belt replaced, I don't trust it with the miles it has on the belt.

I drive it 170 miles a day on the highway and plan on driving the car to 300,000 miles which should not take to long.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Have you had the timing belt replaced? If not it should be replaced at 60,000 miles. This is common on all Japanese/Korean cars with a rubber belt. Please refer to your manual.
    My car's new..only 2000 something miles on it. It's been this way from day one, and everything on it's new. If it doesn't improve by 5000 I'm reporting it to the BBB. It has auto transmission, and a/c, not standard. I have no idea what to do other than wait the two to three years and get rid of it. Maybe by next year, they'll have something out there they can stand behind, and be honest about. I won't be buying another chevrolet.
    Sounds like the majority of complaints about gas mileage have to do with the aveo with automatic transmission. It's sad because even with the auto, there seems to be such a wide range of experiences with fuel consumption figures. From what I've been reading, the best fuel consumption is with the 5 speed and it seems to average 30-35 MPG in the USA and around 40 in Canada.
    It's really no different than any other manufacture. You will find these mpg complaints in every forum here on Edmunds. Unfortunately you happened to get the car with the subpar mileage. As I mentioned earlier there is someone suing Honda because their Civic hybrid gets very low mileage according to him. I am not sure if he has got a response or is going to continue. It is not likely he will win. No manufacture makes a promise.
    I don't intend to sue. what's the point?! I just don't intend to purchase another Chevy. I spoke to a man that owns a toyota prius, and he's gotten great gas mileage with it. But then again you have to service the battery. I just feel like they chevy dealership should have warned me about the Aveo.
    Warned you about what? It is widely known that Toyota Prius' get about 30% less mileage than quoted. That is why there was recent changes in how mileage is rated. They were using methods dating back a few decades when there wasn't that many cars on the road, and all the stop and going. I saw a story on NBC Nightly News a couple months ago with some women complaining she was only averaging 33 mpg in her new Toyota Prius. Who knows what was actually going on with that car. Was it her driving style or maintenance issues, they didn't say. She wasn't very happy. Have you thought about at least talking to an independent mechanic. They may have some ideas of things that could effect mileage that the dealer has overlooked.
    Warned me that it doesn't get the mileage it's supposed to, that's what!! They put those stickers on the window, and you're suckered into buying one, and then don't even get the mileage it says it does, and no I haven't taken it to an independent mechanic, because that costs money, and I have a warrenty with Chevy. The man I talked to about his prius got 55 mpg, and he showed me on the computer thing on his dash.
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    You're right sun44. I was expecting better gas mileage too. I drive a mixture of both highway and in town and the most I have gotten is 27. I am a little disappointed on the mileage but it has gotten better since i brought my tire pressure up to 36psi. At 30psi I was only getting 23.
    AVEO's get an average of 32mi/gal city and 48mi/gal hwy based on imperial gallons and Energuide testing in Canada. Warn you about what? :confuse:
    Warn me about sorry gas mileage, that's what!!! I can't help what you get in Canada. I'm in Texas, and it gets sorry gas mileage. I get about 19mpg right now, in town. That is IT!! No better than that. Lucky to get that. :cry: No this car DOES NOT get that kind of gas mileage for me.
    So that's about 24-25 MPG based on that your USA gallon is smaller than the imperial gallon. If you're doing all city driving with the A/C on full blast and stop and go traffic with automatic trannie - then yeah that's the mileage you'll get. The figures are based on not running the a/c, driving with no lead foot on the gas pedal etc. But those figures you're getting seem normal based on the assumption you're using a/c all the time in texas.
  • cmoore7cmoore7 Member Posts: 3
    Just leased a 2007 Aveo 5 LT with auto transmission. Now have about 3200 km on it and my mileage has varied from 31 mpg up to a recent tank where I got over 36 mpg. This is on an imperial gallon with a mix of 80% highway and 20% city mileage. This is the mileage I expected as I reduce EPA estimates by about 25% to reflect real world mileage.

If you look at some of the major car magazines and long term test results(typically 40,000 miles) for some of the hybrids such as the Prius, the long term mileage is barely over 40 mpg. Given these results, I am quite please with the mileage I am getting. I would expect on a long highway trip to reach close to 40 mpg.
  • annieaveo04annieaveo04 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 4-dr Chevy Aveo in March of '04 and love it. It took a few weeks to begin getting the great mileage I expected, but I still do! Granted, I don't make jackrabbit starts or practice the other gas-eating stunts that some do on a regular basis, but hey, part of getting the most out of your auto's promised features requires a bit of common sense on YOUR part, too! It does all I expect of it and for a small car, it has adequate cargo space as well. No complaints here!
  • aveowanabevegaaveowanabevega Member Posts: 5
    I bought my auto trans 07 Aveo in jan, I started getting about 31 mpg combined highway/city. unsatisfied with that I began adjusting my driving habits, First by slow starting off the lights and then letting my car coast to red lights. This added about 3 mpg, taking it even further by slower highway speeds from 75 to 77 mph down to 65 to 71 mph this added another 2 mpg. I then used used light pedal going up steep hills and coasting in neutral on long down grades(this lets the car coast freely). I drive my Aveo 3k every month, and I have just over 23K on the OD I get 37 mpg to 41 mpg now and that pleases me. so if you want more mpg just drive it like Granny!
  • aveowanabevegaaveowanabevega Member Posts: 5
    I bought my auto trans 07 Aveo in jan, I started getting about 31 mpg combined highway/city. unsatisfied with that I began adjusting my driving habits, First by slow starting off the lights and then letting my car coast to red lights. This added about 3 mpg, taking it even further by slower highway speeds from 75 to 77 mph down to 65 to 71 mph this added another 2 mpg. I then used used light pedal going up steep hills and coasting in neutral on long down grades(this lets the car coast freely). I drive my Aveo 3k every month, and I have just over 23K on the OD I get 37 mpg to 41 mpg now and that pleases me. so if you want more mpg just drive it like Granny!
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    new personal record this am-60.1 mi,used 3.5 gl= 17.1 mpg.At 3.04 per gal.I have lite foot and mix my road conditions.Will try synthetic and new platinum plugs.17,065 miles on '06 Aveo5.
    Keep your tires aired to the max recommended for best mileage. Did they ever reset your cars computer?
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    I dont know.This was a "certified" used car at a Chev dealer.Had 10,500 mi,8 mos since titled.I keep my tires @ 30 psi.
  • veloraidveloraid Member Posts: 5
    Thought I'd put my 2 cents in which is about all I have left after filling up the tank, AGAIN! I'm in Canada and am getting not better than 11 and more often lately with winter starting 12.5 litres per 100 km or about 26 mpg. I also have started to drive like a granny but that sucks! I love the look but my Ford Focus wagon with a 2 litre did better mileage. I'm very frustrated with the car, can't get any straight answers from the dealer. How does a compact car with a 1.6 litre engine get such poor gas mileage? I'd say the tank was leaking but there's no smell and anyway it's new. :lemon:
  • tomwilletttomwillett Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Manual Aveo 4 Door Sedan. (Aveo LT). I usually get 31-34 MPG with mostly highway driving but I have gotten as high as 37 MPG once. The difference on my best MPG seemed to be speed (about 60MPH most times) and no need for air conditioning. I have 10,000 miles on the car and run Mobile One Extended Performance 5W-30 Synthetic. I am very happy with the vehicle. :)
  • veloraidveloraid Member Posts: 5
    I'm using synthetic also. Doesn't seem to make a difference. And it's 5 speed. Most of my driving is city but I can't drive 60 mph on the highway! Anyway 31--34 mpg on the highway at 60 clicks is certainly nothing to write home about. I would get at least 37 on my old Honda Civic doing 70-75 mph on the highway. But take yours in traffic for a tank and you can just watch that gauge move. You won't believe it.
  • hammillhammill Member Posts: 10
    I have an '06 Aveo sedan 5 speed.Sounds very close to my rig. 31 to 34 driving around 65-70mph.I also got 37 on the nose once driving about the same speed.After i got that mileage it started to get very hot out and decided to get ac added to the rig best since has been 35.7 with about 85% highway driving.Now it is cold and the mileage is at about 27-32 with idle time.fyi I have 22,000 miles on my rig bought it in september with 11,000 no problems but a frozen fuel line : )
  • hammillhammill Member Posts: 10
    Have you always used mobil one synthetic or just with this rig? I'm using castrol gtx synthetic , first time with the product. put it in with 16000 on the odometer ,going to go 7000miles this time and if its good stuff i'll go with it.
  • timsehtimseh Member Posts: 24
    For what it's worth, I've gotten pretty lousy mileage in the winter here in North-East Ohio for a number of years now thanks to the government mandated fuel blends they force on us.

I haven't even managed to go through an entire tank of gas yet (I home office, so don't put a lot of miles on) in the two weeks I've had my 5 speed LS sedan, but based on the fill I did at half a tank a week ago and the gas gauge since then vs. the miles I've driven, it looks like I'm doing pretty good.

I'll be taking a road trip in the spring and it will be interesting to see if my mileage follows the same pattern I saw with my last car. Once I get out of the state going South, the mileage improves with the gas sold there.
    I've gotten better gas mileage, since I got up to 5,000 miles. I average about 21 inner city. But on my trip, I was getting 34.5 mpg, but I didn't run the A/C that much. I think the A/C pulls it down bad. I hope they can fix that on the future cars for people..
    The Aveo is a descent car especially for the price. I see GM has said the 2008 model will have a 5 hp boost and expected 8% boost in mpg. That is good news for buyers. I wonder if they just tweaked the fuel injection?

I also find it interesting that a larger Chevy Cobalt frequently from what I read here and in magazines consistantly gets better mileage than the Aveo in both city and highway and the Toyota Corolla gets better mileage than the tiny weird looking Yaris as well. Something is wrong here.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Sometimes a larger, more powerful engine can produce better mileage because it's loafing on the highway and can get by with a more economical final-drive ratio. The 1.6L works too hard to accelerate from a stop and climb hills.

It all depends on the car, but it's not impossible that the Aveo could get better mileage with a 1.8-2.0L that has 25 extra horsepower.
    The city mileage is comparable between these cars as well.
  • timsehtimseh Member Posts: 24
    I've only got 600 miles on my 08 LS Sedan (5 spd), so I know it's very early to be paying too much attention to my mileage. I did manage to burn off just over half a tank in mostly (85%) highway driving this week, though and decided to fill the tank tonight and see how I'm doing.

Just a hair shy of 35 MPG. I'm pretty happy with that, especially given the rotten mileage I've traditionally gotten in the winter here in Cleveland thanks to "winter gas".
  • intexas2intexas2 Member Posts: 2
    New 07 Aveo5 with manual tranny. First fill up--only about 25 mpg. I'm disappointed. My 11 year old Geo Metro got around 35.

From what i can tell, the gearing on the manual transmission is the big culprit. I'm doing 60 mph and the engine is turning around 3K rpm. I keep wanting to shift into a higher gear, but, alas, there isn't one. My Metro seemed to cruise the highway at less than 2.5K, and that on a three-cylinder engine.

Why do they gear the 5th gear so low?
    :confuse:
    Better low end acceleration.
  • nav7090nav7090 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this throw-away car w/auto tranny and air in May '05 for about $8.9K out-the-door after using $ accumulated on GM credit card. 0% interest for 36mos from GMAC. Judicious tracking of mpg = 31.5 after 44Kmi. of regularly driving back and forth betweem 3000'msl and 100'msl. at 65-80mph. Change oil/filter every 3.2Kmi±. Am very satisfied with this commuter car, but am somewhat concerned with dealer&engine mfg.'s recommendation of power flush/replenishment of coolant after 36Kmi. I didn't want to spend the >$300, so I didn't have it done. Anyone know anything about this coolant system's weaknesses?
    Not necessary, this is just a dealer service bonus. The cooling system is no different than any other small car. Just change the anti-freeze every 2-years and you will be fine. If it has that extended range orange anti-freeze that is good for 5-years.
  • luckinsluckins Member Posts: 63
    I usually change my coolant or have it flushed at about every 30,000 miles, or about every 48,000 km regardless of what the owner's manual says. I do what is considered "severe" driving because I do mostly city driving with stop and go and very short trips. So, I like to service the car more often. It saves me money in the long run.
  • nogmfannogmfan Member Posts: 4
    I was considering the Aveo5 to replace my '01 Echo so I rented one recently while on a buisness trip. The car had just over 4k miles on it and I had it for a week. I drove practically all highway miles and it averaged 27 US mpg. GM has to do better.

My Echo gets 40-42 mpg on average. I'm now considering a Yaris. Or maybe I'll hold on to the Echo a while longer to see what else GM comes up with. :(