Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Real World MPG

Comments

• geissajgeissaj Member Posts: 14
    Check your odometer it may be lying to you. If the car is running good has all the gears, the brakes aren't dragging and the tire pressure is correct it should get EPA posted gas mileage, Unless your diving 3000 miles at 20MPH. Very poor gas mileage should manifest itself as an addition problem such as running rich (fuel injector leaking should turn on check engine light) black smoke out the exhaust, skipping (fouled plug) There's a TSB out for odometer off 7 to 9% I don't have the complete text but this would definitely give inaccurate gas mileage.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    no it isnt doing any of that stuff. I filled up today..still getting 18mpg. I watched Motorweek today and they were doing a special section on how the real milage on cars is almost always wrong. They compared two identical Chrysler 300Ms with 5.7 V-8's,and the way the driver drove..made a 7-43% difference in mpg. Of course city vs. highway made a huge difference. Trouble is i drive like the 'conservative driver and I get 18mpg. Maybe if i have fun and push it...I'll get the 34mpg everyone is talking about! That huge engine got over 17 mpg on the highway!
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    maybe you are lugging the engine and shifting to fast or ...oops if it is automatic ...driving to slow. try driving a little more peppy and see what happens. Dont go overboard and drive like a nut.
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    Here is the mileage lowdown:

I don't shift above 3000 rpm most of the time it is 2500.
    I don't drive above 55mph, because of road conditions.
    80% highway and 20% city.

06 Aveo SVM.
    I intend on having a bit more fun in driving this car on this tank of gas...and see if driving UNLIKE a 'little old lady' will help the mpg go up. Driving like the car is made of glass hasn't helped...so i might as well try to have fun and see what happens.
  • toomuchrocktoomuchrock Member Posts: 19
    Not sure if you guys use this, but i have recently started tracking my gas mileage on http://www.fueleconomy.gov

The nice thing is you can also see what other people are getting in their cars and your cars mileage will also be averaged in.

This will be helpful to you and others who are interested in seing if their mileage is uncommon.

so far at 22mpg, mine is doing the same as the others on the site.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Not sure if you guys use this, but i have recently started tracking my gas mileage on http://www.fueleconomy.gov

I have mine entered (2004 AT). Interesting to note that the 2004s have the highest mileage overall, and virtually no difference between auto and manual transmissions. There really aren't enough people who've reported to come to any conclusions about that, though.
    I am getting so disgusted with the mileage I am getting this summer. What is with this "summer gas" is you have to use more gas to get around aren't you polluting more.
    Well my air intake setup didnt work...talk about a rip off..now have to try to get my money back. It was like trying to put an elephant under the hood,let alone get the parts onto the engine! 15 min installation my butt! 3hours later, I gave up! Well I'm still at 18-19,all city driving. Luckily in Fla,I dont think we have this 'summer or winter' gas, that you all talk about. It's just $2.99 a gallon!!! :mad: Going to fill up today in preperation for the possible hurricane thats coming this way. After last year..I will top off till the last minute. Only 12 gallons to put in it. I have got to have every drop I can get. But where to go when you have no power and your city is in ruins anyway. Worse possible scenerio. IF it is anything like last years 'catagory 1' storm. We are in for deep ----! And this car will blow away,its so light..why it doesn't get 40mpg is still beyond me.
    i am posting this on multiple forums, so if you have seen it more than once, i appologize for making you read this again.

I myself have a 2006 chevy aveo lt that is consistantly getting 21-23 mpg regardless of city or hwy driving and running or not running ac. Let me also say that besides this fact and a couple minor things, i ador my car and am very happy that i choose it over all the other in its class.

for those of you who are having similar issues:

so i called GM, actual GM, not my dealer to talk with him about the poor gas mileage, and he basically says that no one else has had any issues or at least they haven't called. So i beg those of you who are having gas mileage problems and concerns please call chevrolet at 1800-222-1020.
    They are looking into it at this point, and the more people who call the more we can force them to listen to us.
    I finally hit the 19mpg mark! After hearing that gas is going to jump in price because of that Alaska pipeline rusting out..and so far gas here in Ft.Laud has gone up $.05 in 2 days..I filled up and I am getting 19!!! YEAHH!!!! Whoopie!
    I filled the tires to as hard as possible without blowing them up, and now that I have the syn. oil in it,and the Bosch plus4 spark plugs, I am getting 19mpg! Oh the joy! Maybe 20 is coming when the 2 weeks out of the year I dont need A/C on all the time :) .
    that sucks I have never got less than 27. Yesterday was one of my days off and I and a friend drove from Dallas to Tyler and a few side trips in the process. 362 miles on 9.8 gallons. Not bad.
  • agrzeskowiakagrzeskowiak Member Posts: 15
    I bought new 05 aveo last August. I take it in every time it says I should for oil change, if you don;t it can screw up your warranty. Gas mileage isn;t that bad I live in WI and get approximately 309-350miles per tank. Between highway and town. Once this summer we drove from Pulaski WI to upper Michigan for weekend filled up in Gillette went 125 miles and gas gauge never moved. I can't explain it maybe someone else can got over 400 miles to that tank full. :shades:
  • agrzeskowiakagrzeskowiak Member Posts: 15
    Just wondering where you got all the goodies to dress up the Aveo!!! Please let us know. Thanks!!!!! :surprise:
    been keeping track of my milege in my 06 lt hatchback...

date / miles traveled / gallons / cost / city / hwy / MPG
    07/22/2006 231.80 9.622 $28.57 30% 70% 24.1

07/28/2006 201.00 10.219 $29.93 70% 30% 19.7

08/03/2006 243.70 10.204 $30.40 60% 40% 23.9

08/12/2006 192.20 9.750 $28.47 70% 30% 19.7

incredibly crappy for a car rated 26 city 34 hwy.
  • billdeanbilldean Member Posts: 1
    Keeping track of mine also.

Date Odometer Gallons Cost city/hwy MPG
    07/18/2006 1.0 11.900 2.85 30% 70% NA

07/24/2006 279.0 8.800 2.85 30% 70% 31.6

07/31/2006 531.0 7.200 2.95 30% 70% 35.0

08/10/2006 837.0 9.863 3.05 30% 70% 31.0

As advertised Great little car so far
    I hope it will get even better when it is broke-in
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    I had an opportunity to rent an Aveo with auto for a two week Rocky Mountain States trip. I put 3400 miles on the car. I took time to take 3 readings. Mileage ranged between 37.6 - 40.2 mpg, 100% highway. And I did not "baby" this car. I was very impressed not only with the mileage but with the seat comfort.
    What parts? Most everything I got on EBay, including the hood bra, body side molding, a VERY good buy! got them for 1/2 the price of from the dealer. I never knew they exsisted till I saw them on EBay, and changes the look of the car very fast!, the'carbon fiber' contact paper for the inside of the doors. The tint and mud flaps came with the car,part of the deal to make me buy it. I am sure i still paid for them. The window air deflectors ,you can get at any auto parts store, they usually have to be ordered. BUT they are on EBay right now to! And they are the in the channel type. Much nicer than my outside application ones. Think thats all the stuff. The cold air intake thing is junk and I am still trying to return it. It probably works if you buy the $200 system from a good aftermarket parts store. But this cheap thing is crap!
  • soardudesoardude Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2005 Aveo 4 Sp auto with AC. Has 32,000 miles on it. It runs fine but the mileage in the city is somewhat disappointing between 19-22 mpg at best. Have not taken it on a long road trip so can't comment on Hwy mileage. Otherwise it is an OK car. I used to drive a Daihatsu Charade (1989) and it gave between 28-30 mpg in the city before I busted a head gasket a month ago (180,000 miles on that baby...!!)
  • rhonda10rhonda10 Member Posts: 21
    Purchased my 2006 Aveo LT Hatchback [automatic] on Friday, September 8, 2006. At the time of purchase the dealer filled up the tank at an odometer reading of 40 miles. Over the weekend we drove an additional 273 miles to a total odometer reading of 313 miles and decided at that point that we should probably fill-up even though the gas gauge needle was still sitting slightly above the "E." The tank took 10.41 gallons, which I divided into 273 for a total mph of 26 [city/highway]. This to me is very satisfying given the mileage stated for this vehicle is 24/34. I will write again with the mileage that I get for my second tank of gas, which will mostly be city driving back and forth to my job for the remainder of this week. Because I bought this vehicle mainly for better gas mileage, this is something that I will be documenting closely for a while. :)
  • tron299tron299 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my '06 LT hatchback last December. I have been tracking the milage since then. The highest I have gotten was 36.5 mpg. There are several things that seem to help with the milage. First at least in NC the brand of gas makes a big difference. Exxon was the worst I got 24.5, BP and Chevron are the best two at about 33-36,with Texico and Shell close behind at about 31-32mpg. This is all about 50/50 city/highway dirving. Also, at the first oil change I switched to a synthetic oil. It gave a noticable increase in horsepower and increased my mlage by about 2-3mpg. I have some other improvements that I will make after the warenty drops off. Also If you use only Quaker state synthetic oil they will give you a 250K mile warrenty on your engine! Check it out on their website. All you have to do is register and save your rescipts.
    I'm very surprised by your mileage calculations with different brands. I find no difference at all on my '04 using probably a dozen various brands from Exxon, Mobil, Shell, Hess, BP, Citgo, Gulf and a several independents (all CT or MA stations).

Over 330 fill-ups, nothing beyond normal variations for weather, traffic, level of top-off, etc.

Use of AC in the summer or defrost to clear windows in rain usually cost 1-3 mpg, depending on amount of use.

My fill-ups for Oct. (entered in vehicle log software):

--------
    Avg. - 33.19

Average for the same period is 1.6 mpg better than 2005 driving the same route week after week. Only real change is the switch to Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic and extending oil changes to roughly 9000 miles.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I think both QS and Pennzoil offer extended engine warranties with 4K changes on both synthetic and dino. Goes to show you how rare oil caused failures really are. Other than overheating a car that had a coolant leak and which I neglected, I've never cooked an engine in 30 plus cars over more than 40 years.
    I took the car in for a broken hatchback lock,it just locked itself and I couldnt open it. Of course it turned out to be a bolt that fell off and the release rod came off. Quality! Anyway,while it was at Chevy,I had them look into my horrible mileage,long story short,the computer says it is 'performing as designed'. They said,'you will just have to let the engine get more broken in and all city driving will get lower mileage'. Well considering the car only weighs 2,300lbs,and I drive it like an 'little old lady' to get the best mileage possible,you'd think I would get more than the 18 mpg I am getting now. I finally get THAT Since I changed to syn. oil and Bosch Plus 4 spark plugs. Before that it was 15mpg. This is a major problem. and I hear that the new sedan is still getting the lowest mileage of the new batch of super small cars. So they still havent fixed it. Oh well, thats the update.
  • flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 8
    My sister's car (a 2006 Pontiac Wave in Canada, which is the same car as the Aveo), also had the hatchback lock broken. I guess the good news is that this lock is "fail lock" instead of "fail open".

With this prob, they tried to "adjust" the bolt but it was promptly broken again. The 2nd time was even more ridiculous. They "fixed" it and it broke when I was on the repair lock testing the new fix - they had to bring it back into the shop again. That's twice in a 5 month period - when the car is not yet 1/2 year old.

When the lock broke for a third time, I went back to the dealer and also filed a complaint with GM. Finally they were able to order parts from the US (which took nearly a week) and replace that lock mechanism altogether. So far, it's been problem free for more than 2 months. Hopefully this will last.

We haven't had a major mileage problem with our Wave. I don't have actual numbers but it seems to do a lot better than our previous '95 and '96 Cavaliers. Since I don't drive the car regularly I can't get the data. After reading all these reports I want to see if I can get at least 20MPG on city driving.
  • aveoatomicaveoatomic Member Posts: 5
    So far I'm getting about 27-29 mpg (on a good day) down here in South East Texas.

And whats stranger is...the gas mileage gets better when accellorate from a stop swiftly. So I would advise anyone who drives grandma'ish in the automatic model to liven it up a bit when you step on the gas. It's gone up since the initial 24 mpg I got when I first bought the car.

I have about 8,000 miles on it and still love it besides the 2 rear endings and a lady backing in to me with a Mercury Huge-[non-permissible content removed]-sometypeofSUV... But, that's being fixed and none of the wrecks are my fault :)

Anyway, I think I'll have to change the spark plugs and switch to synthetic as everyone else is seeing at least some performance gains. I originally bought this car to save on gas when it was 2.99, but now its 1.99 and it makes me even happier. :shades:
    I am still getting around 29 mpg in the city .....On monday drove from Dallas to my brother's in Gun Barrel City and back to Garland and then over to Terrell and back to Gun Barrel and Filled up and got 38.9 mpg....not to bad. Oh by the way I am in Texas if ya haven't guessed and I refilled my take at my brothers because the dont use ethanol in the gas out there.
    I guess I am going to have to accept the crappy low mileage in my Aveo. I am stuck at 18-19mpg. That is with the improvements of Bosch Plus 4 plugs and now Royal Purple synthetic oil....going to try that brand this time. The last synthetic oil worked great and bumped up the mileage 1 extra mpg. Then the plugs added 1-2 more. So I am at 18-19mpg all city driving. This car hasn't seen a highway and probably wont ever. I only run it like 2-5 miles a day,so it will take forever to get it 'broken in',into the 5,000 mile range. But now that it isnt summer,it's less A/C use, so, hopefully for 1/3 of the year, I might get some 20's now and then! Such poor mileage for such a little light car. But,it is comfy and so easy to wash :) 5 mins and I'm done. I drove the new 2007 Aveo '5' for 3 days while the front bumper was being repainted!,factory problem,and they added a lumbar support and an armrest attached to the drivers seat. The 2 things this car needs bad! And they changed the auto shifter gate set up,other than that it is exactly the same. But man,those brakes vibrated all over the place....I had heard on here about bad brakes,vibrating,and boy they sure do. I guess I lucked out and 'broke in my brakes' the right way or something...because mine are as smooth as glass,no vibration when stopping.
  • aveo2007aveo2007 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my 2007 Aveo5 SVM on 10/31/2007 with 174 miles on it since it was driven from a dealer that far away to the dealer I bought it from. I just put gas in it last weekend. So far I drive short trips less than 5 miles exclusively. My mileage on my first tank of gas was 20.44 mpg. Frankly, I'm pleased with the mileage considering the type of driving I do. Gasoline engines don't warm up until you've been a few miles, more in cold weather. I live in Framingham, MA and winter is coming. My commute to work is often stop-and-go type driving. I hate sitting in traffic but that is a fact of life around here.

No brake vibration problem here so far. In cold weather starts I hear some small noises from the rear of the car while it is warming up for 30 seconds before I take off and have no idea what they are.

On Thanksgiving Day my wife and I are going for a joyride with quite a bit of highway driving so the the mpg so improve dramatically. :)
    I did some mileage checks (through 2 fill-ups) for my sister Wave and I think she's getting around 26-27MPG with mostly city driving here in the hilly Vancouver.

Considering the short trips and the hills, the mileage is not half bad. I'll try to get a few more numbers and report if things change.
    I did some mileage checks (through 2 fill-ups) for my sister Wave and I think she's getting around 26-27MPG with mostly city driving here in the hilly Vancouver.

Is that US or Imperial gallons and do they add ethanol. Buying "straight" gasoline is an impossibility in many areas, such as my own. Have no idea what my mileage would be with unblended fuel.
    I noticed that the people that live in urban areas get lousy mileage and the people that live out in the country or smaller citys get better mileage. Check and see if in your area you are using ethenol or straight gas......there is a radio program with a car guy named Ed Wallis and he really hates ethenol blended gas because it gives very poor mileage and it cause lots of carbon build up in the engine.....I bought my car before the ethenol use was prominate and was getting very good mileage.....then it drop with the adding of ethenol. I was told to go to Premium grade and my mileage has went back up.......27-30mpg around town and 37-40 on the highway.
    I know for sure I'm using an ethanol-blend. Even with travel of 5000 miles/month, the area I cover sells only blended fuel, by EPA mandate most likely (CT, W. Mass).

Wouldn't know where the nearest unblended fuel could be found! Before ethanol, they used MTBE for many years.
    Well I have to accept that my 'economy car' has barely any economy,due to my driving habits. While everyone seems to agree that the Aveo has the lowest mileage for such a tiny engine and light car,and few get what the sticker says...including MotorWeek! Since I drive 100% in the city and only like 3-5 miles a day..the car barely gets warmed up before it is turned off for most of the day,to try and even get anything close to 20mpg....so I have to accept that I am going to get 18mpg in the city,as long as I drive like an 'old fart'. And with the Bosch sparkplugs and always use synthetic oil, I'll get 18mpg. So till I need to do highway driving, guess I have to accept this is all I will get. Heck,with the front tires going bald at 2,500 miles...THIS is far from an 'Economy' car. :(
    are any of yall with the bald tires .....rotation them? I have 27,000 miles on mine and they are getting close to bald now. I rotate them around 7500 miles. I agree these are crappy tires... I am looking for some better tires any suggestions.
  • thasocobanditthasocobandit Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 2007 Sedan LS, it has about 1450 i think. I was just wondering when the break in point should be. I'm not getting very good gas mileage as supposedly should be. Thanks
    Welcome to the dissapointment club on mileage. TECHNICALLY the 'break in' period is 5,000 miles. THAT is when you are suppose to start getting your best mileage. BUT it isnt going to get much better. How much are you getting on the highway? Do you have an automatic or a 5 speed? I only waited till 800 miles to change the oil to synthetic,and the spark plugs over to the Bosch Plus 4's. I have no leaks and the mileage as I have said has gone up right away by a whopping 2-3mpg. But when you are getting 14-15 mpg...getting 18-20mpg, on a very good day, is a great thing!. It is worth the changes, and the plugs are a one time change, the oil will last me for like 6 months...up to 12 if I wanted...but I would never let it go that long. I will stick to 3 months/3,000 miles. For me it will be the months coming first...BUT I can wait 6 months if I want. Thats what Royal Purple oil says. But since it is under a factory warranty,I'll change it much more often to cover myself and keep the warranty good.
  • ohiokz440ohiokz440 Member Posts: 1
    I am surprised to hear about the poor gas mileage. I bought my 2004 LS Aveo automatic in 2005 with 13,000 miles on it. I started out getting in the low 30s as far as gas mileage and now I regularly get 29 mpg. I use 87 octane gasoline here in Ohio. I love this car except that now the alarm goes off when it is locked and I wish I could disable it. :shades:
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    Well,

The 13000 mile average mileage is at 39.5mpg in mixed driving. A few things I have noticed: 1) Winter blend gases here in Michigan make the aveo get 20% worst mileage overall. 2) Mobil one has not gotten any large gains in mileage, 3) Higher Octane gases also has gotten no gains. Worst tank thus far is still the first at 34.6 with the best at 43.3mpg. Tires rotated once and tread is still good. The only downside has been the speedo is off by 2.3 mph at 55mph. Actual speed via 2 different gps's are 57.3 on the speedo is actually 55 mph. So far a great car.
    I have right around 10k on my car and this is the mileage i have been getting since I started keeping track in july. With the most i've ever gotten being 27mpg, something just aint right with this car.

Date miles gal. cost city hwy mpg
    07/22/2006 231.80 9.622 28.57 30% 70% 24.1

07/28/2006 201.00 10.219 29.93 70% 30% 19.7

08/03/2006 243.70 10.204 30.40 60% 40% 23.9

08/12/2006 192.20 9.750 28.47 70% 30% 19.7

08/21/2006 224.10 10.167 28.46 60% 40% 22.0

09/15/2006 223.60 10.257 23.38 60% 40% 21.8

09/25/2006 227.70 9.915 19.82 70% 30% 23.0

10/06/2006 222.20 9.906 19.70 50% 50% 22.4

10/14/2006 226.90 10.487 20.96 60% 40% 21.6

10/29/2006 240.10 10.393 21.71 50% 50% 23.1

11/18/2006 235.00 10.469 21.55 40% 60% 22.4

11/30/2006 251.20 10.363 22.48 60% 40% 24.2

12/11/2006 225.30 10.052 22.10 60% 40% 22.4

12/21/2006 199.20 8.561 18.74 40% 60% 23.3

01/01/2007 253.30 10.118 22.45 40% 60% 25.0

01/06/2007 276.70 10.242 21.91 20% 80% 27.0
    Is that US or Imperial gallons and do they add ethanol. Buying "straight" gasoline is an impossibility in many areas, such as my own. Have no idea what my mileage would be with unblended fuel.

That's the US gallons. I did the math conversion using a calculator. The gas we use here in Canada is still the same 87 Octane ones. I think here we use ethanol, Tecrol (sp?) and a few other different additives (it used to be GTBE (sp?) too) toodepending on the brand.
  • rollthedicerollthedice Member Posts: 3
    2005 sedan 13,000 miles

I do mainly city driving (10 to 15 miles each way) and usually get between 25 to 28 MPG.
  • thasocobanditthasocobandit Member Posts: 10
    I filled me gas tank up today. I did the math for my gas mileage. When I did it, I drove mostly city, I drove on the highway once. I get 25 miles to the gallon, just city and I don't really know what I get on the highway yet. It seems to me that my gas gauge goes down a lot fast on the highway for some reason. I understand that I'm going 70+, but it shouldn't drop so fast at a constant speed. I don't know but Chevy are a bunch of liars. I cant wait to get an EVO...haha
    Well at the whopping 3,800 mile mark, I am still getting a whopping 18-19mpg. It is ALL city driving,and with the synthetic oil and Bosch Plus 4 plugs. The tires are still wearing down super fast. The hatch has now broken 5 times in total. The last 3 times were within 1 month! They finally figured out to replace the part of the car that the hatch locked into...not the hatch. The actual part of the car that the hatch locked into and unlocked from. So far it has been a whopping week and it still works. Talk about quality. I love how they kept telling me that the person that was 'fixing' it was the manager of the trim department. And when he fixes it,it stays fixed! That was the last 3 times it was 'repaired'.Well thats about it. So,it is going to stay at low mileage,no matter what. How people are getting these high 30's with an automatic trans. with all city driving is beyond me.
    How people are getting these high 30's with an automatic trans. with all city driving is beyond me.

Nobody is getting that kind of mileage in real stop-and-go city driving where you spend most of the time accelerating in lower gears, braking or idling. Maybe in a Prius that uses the electric motor at low speeds in the city!

The EPA estimate for the A/T is 26 and their city cycle is more of a suburban drive with fewer stops and a higher average speed. They're supposed to change the ratings for 2008 to better reflect real-world conditions.
    Yeah, but you and I have read in here all these people 'claiming' they are getting 35mpg from their last tank,and 'on that last highway trip I got over 40mpg'etc...all these people saying they get these super high numbers...highway and or city,..in the early postings...all I kept reading was 30+, nearly 40mpg!,37mpg,etc...you read them. I was just making an 'updated post'. After all the hatch problems I was continuing to have,I stopped making any posts,so I just wanted to update some people on the problems that are still going on. And see if anyone else is having any of this hatch problem yet...besides me! GM is involved in these problems now,I think they are concerned about me bringing in the Lemon Law about the hatch,since they can't fix it. So I have gotten a free oil change coupon from them, because they said I shouldn't have had to pay to have the tires rotated at 2,000 miles! So to make up for that money loss, they sent me a free oil change coupon. That cost them a lot of money ;) But at least it's something. At least they agree with me that the tires shouldnt be wearing out so fast,and the hatch had better stay fixed this time. Since I CAN bring the Lemon Law in on this at this point, it is 5 times in less than 2 months for the exact same thing. I could have at the 3 times mark. But I kept having them 'Fix it'. So I shall wait and see what happens. I love my little Aveo,I spent half of this Sunday detailing every inch of it. I just wish it got even just 25mpg!!! :)
    It all has to do with the type of driving and other factors like weather and fuel blend. One person's idea of city driving is anything that's not highway -- a far cry from a crowded metropolitan stop-and-go commute with AC running.

I got 38 mpg ONCE on a fairly straight run on parkways into NYC (even with a bit of true city driving), but I've never come close since. I don't doubt that a basic manual transmission SVM without AC and non-ethanol fuel can hit or top 40 mpg under ideal conditions. That just doesn't represent most owners, from what I've heard.

Check out www.fueleconomy.gov under Owner's Estimates for 2006 Aveo 5 -- the average is 23.9 mpg.

My average for the past 2 cold months has been 31.5, down 2.5 mpg from the best 2 months last year (May, June).
    flaaveo, your driving conditions are about the worst-case scenario. Saw this message on the Fit MPG forum that's almost identical to your situation. Most Fit owners are getting 30-40 mpg, but not all!

Poor City Mileage

Also, on fueleconomy.gov, they have a calculator to determine what the revised mpg numbers would be with the upcoming changes to the tests. Automatics would go down by 3 mpg to 21 city/31 hwy.
    I aint "claiming"....I do get that kinda mileage.
    it seems everyone is getting mighty fisty about the mileage thing.

It annoys me when the people who are getting incredible mileage out of their cars are saying that we (the people who get horrible mileage) are the reason for it. That really really bothers me.

I drive in this car the same way i did in my 2000 Cavalier and i got and average of 30MPG out of the cavalier and its only rated 23-31. Driving the same exact trips the same way i get about 24mpg out of the 2006 Aveo when it's rated 26-34. Someone please explain how this is possible at all.
    It isn't me that is causing the problem.It's a defect with some of the cars, and GM apparently has no intention of doing anything about it.