Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Not bad when you consider we were not using any special techniques.

The nice thing about the hybrid system is it uses those "special" methods even whe you don't want to focus on it. Yes there are advantages to doing certain things to push the computer to do what you want but overall it will take care of a minimum of the decisions to still provide good FE
  • stj4stj4 Member Posts: 27
    I could not agree with you more on the change in the driving style.

I used to drive only on the leftmost lane, also with a quite capable German auto. Now I see myself driving on the right most lane.

My wife now complains I am driving too slow (usually at speed limit on local roadswhen no-one is behind me, or 5 miles under the limit on highways). I still am stuck at 40.4 mpg @ the best tank of gas.

Regardless of what I try, I cannot get the average higher than that. may be the next thing to do is to increase the tire pressures...
  • kennekenne Member Posts: 1
    Just finished 3900 miles on the TCH. Actual mileage was 42.4.
    (92.0 gals.).
    On a 1280 mile trip, got 40.9. That included driving in heavy rain, which I feel cuts down on mileage because of rolling resistance. We went through Chicago and Milwaukee in fairly heavy traffic.
    Love the car overall. My other car is a 2004 Lexus ES 330.I improved MPG on that one about 1.5-2.0 MPG by installing a K&N high performance air filter. Costs about $50 including the re-oiling kit. It is supposed to be good for 1 million miles and needs to be cleaned every 50,000 miles. It is a simple direct replacement for the OEM filter. The Lexus usually gets 26-28 in mixed driving.
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    Just reading about the common practice of replacing the air in tires with nitrogen for an added 3% economy.. The MSNBC article spoke of vehicles with remote tire pressure sensors as benefitting from the reduced fluctations in pressure that nitrogen can provide.
    There are so many mileage aware people on the forum, that it occurred to me to ask if anyone had done it on a TCH.
    :confuse:
    The MSNBC artice on Nitrogen in tires.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14121979/
  • nmtchnmtch Member Posts: 2
    Update. With ECO on, higher AC temp and change in driving habits, I've gotten it up to 29 mpg city per tank of gas. Considering that work to home is 10 miles, all uphill with numerous traffic lights and my other trips are shorter, that's probably the best I can do. My Ford Taurus got 16 under the same conditions.
    If it's all uphill going to work, isn't it all downhill going home?
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Well I have only had my TCH 2 weeks and 650 miles. I commute 18 miles each way, the am run is better due to less traffice and I typically get 36-38MPG, on way home traffic is worse, more stop and go so I get aroun 32-33MPG. It is 2-3 lane state road, with lights and mostly 45-55. I used to drive a TL and was an agressive driver, few people passed me. Funny how that MPG guage and ECO gauge can have so much impact on your driving style! I have tamed my driving a bit, but am not as tame as most of the others posting here. I gather I could squeak another 1-2MPG out if I really was obsessed with the gauge. First tank averaged 32-33 but tires were 7 lbs under and I had 4 adults most of that time, this tank is averaging 34.5 so far.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My guess is 3% is well within the error range of tank-to-tank calculations and the variability of driving cycles is even more. Most of the people claiming mpg benefits for nitrogen are the sellers. The evidence is anecdotal and the benefits are psychological, imo. ;)
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I think you are better off just maitaining good PSI, I generally go 3-4 PSI over mfg, so I run the TCH aroun 35-36 psi. I doubt switching to nitrogen will make much difference. What I do miss is my TL, the TPMS in that gave direct acurate PSI readings per tire, so I woudl check it every am by hitting the button before I left the garage. The best thing to do with the TCH is set the pressure you want then re-initialize the TPMS in the TCH so it knows the new baseline. My car had 27 lbs from the dealer, I would have hoped an accurate TPMS would trigger at that point 5PSI under. Toyota does not mention what the difference needs to be to trigger the tPMS in the TCH.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Living in Phoenix, the main benefit for Nitrogen in my tires would be the resistance to heat expansion. I run about 46 PSI all around, and the heat does expand my PSI.

I'm considering the switch....
  • pgrokkospgrokkos Member Posts: 8
    What is the optimal PSI for gas milage that would still be considered safe for normal operation (i.e., not cause above average wear on tires or be unsafe for stopping).

I've seen posts as high as 46PSI but that seems dangerously high to me.

On my first tank and with AC maxed out due to the heat wave in the northeast, I'm only at about 32mpg. I only recently leared that ECO for AC doesn't work when temp is on high; and the MPG is creaping up slowly as the tank drains and I learn some tricks. Not even sure what my tires are set at now but assume that they are manufacturer specs that dealer set them at.
  • r_nashr_nash Member Posts: 33
    I'm running 42psi front, 40psi rear. The Bridgestone tires are rated to 50psi on my TCH. So far (only 2,500 miles) the tread wear is even, and the handling noticably better than the 32psi the car was delivered with.

You can reset the TPMS pressure (page 179 of the owners manual) to the new pressure. According to the NHTSA, TPMS will warn a driver if any tire pressure drops 25%.
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    I can't tell you how many times my car came from a repair shop (tire merchant or DEALER) where the tires were all over the place--none set the same and usually all MUCH higher than I would expect. It's like they "eyeball" the tire pressure!

With my TCH, I also assumed they would all be set to 32 PSI. When I checked, they were all at 39! So, you should definitely check for yourself. Just be sure they are "cold".
  • bnewinsbnewins Member Posts: 25
    My TCH arrived from the dealer with the tires @ 35 lbs. A day or two later somewhere in the back of the owners manual it mentions "for sustained high speed driving set pressure to 35 lbs". So I just left them that way in case I ever need to do any high speed driving. :P
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Trip and mileage computers can be good, but remember the difference between the average MPG and instantaneous MPG readouts. Any car which has a trip computer, even a thirsty V8, can show 50MPG at any given "instantaneous" time, especially when the throttle is closed an you're coasting.

The true test is the old fashioned way of filling up the tank and calculating the mileage from distance traveled vs. the gas used. Then, compare that to the average readout of the trip computer.
  • debronkartdebronkart Member Posts: 2
    At 6800 miles I had my second oil change. I don't know whether the dealer used synthetic at the first change, but I do know I got 41 mpg on a 1400 mile trip, cruise control at 60-65.

For this second change, the Valvoline store used non-synthetic. That night I drove 440 miles, driving pretty similarly, and mileage wouldn't go above 36.5.

Does synthetic oil make a difference in anything other than the life of the oil?
  • debronkartdebronkart Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, my post above was a bit ambiguous.

On this forum I see lots of comparison tests people have run with different conditions. Excellent. Has anybody ever tested the mileage impact of different oils?

Before my first oil change I took a 1400 mile trip with cruise control @ 60-65. I got 41mpg.

I then had a dealer oil change at 1800. The return trip (1400 mi) then got similar mileage.

Last week at 6800 miles a non-dealer put in non-synthetic, and on a 400 mile trip I got ~36, driving with similar style. Mileage has stayed there for the return and around town since then.

Do different oils affect mileage? Synthetic vs not, 0 weight vs 5-weight?
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    Took our first 500 mile trip between KC and St Louis. Rolling interstate with speed set between 65 and 70. Got 41.5 via the speedo and 40.95 via calculation. First car I've ever owned that beat the EPA highway estimates. Felt great. Have all of 750 miles on the odometer. :)
    Some say oil has a significant impact. I don't believe with the wide range of FE you can get under various conditions with the TCH that the average person can indeed measure the results. There is just too many variables in the driving to test and get consistant results.

I don't believe you'll see significant results from the oil. If you want synthetic because of the protection, that's a choice, but at 3000 to 5000 mile oil changes I think buying synthetic is overkill, again though it's an option.

IF your previous servicer used Synthetic without telling you I would think you would have noticed it as the price differential is substantial
  • grggrg Member Posts: 15
    I have been trying to find ways to get the battery engine to kick on insead of the gas, particularly when I am going flat or minimal decline. But when I asked the service people at Toyota, they said it is all computerized, that there isn't a way. However, I agree with wvgasguy that there are ways, as he described, use some gas to get up near the speed limit, then let foot off, the mpg needle goes to E, and then gently, ever so slightly, touch the gas to kick in the battery to keep going at that speed, as long as the battery has enough juice. I think, although am not sure, that the air conditioning uses some of the same "juice", or does it come from the other battery?
    anybody know any other tricks?
    thanks
    grg
    I think, although am not sure, that the air conditioning uses some of the same "juice", or does it come from the other battery?
    anybody know any other tricks?

There are a lot of posts about the A/C. I have been running ECO 100% of the time and have not found it lacking in cooling even with high humidity high 80's temps. However others have said the ECO mode didn't keep them cool. Personal Preference??

Also other posts are claiming large FE hits for running A/C. Some even running with A/C off. I just can't validate significant loss in FE by running the A/C. My understanding is that with ECO off the A/C runs pretty much like a traditional system, it is electric but requires the ICE to power the system. While in ECO mode it runs off the battery and the ICE only is needed as the battery discharges. That's my understanding and I could be wrong on that. I guess knowing that in no way am I going to consider running without A/C it maybe doesn't matter to me. I'll continue running in ECO until I get warm I guess. I don't get the overall milage of a few posters, but I live in a hilly area and I'm quite satisfied with the results I'm currently achieving (38.7mpg overall) If I lived in southern WV around Charleston where the main road between Huntington and Charleston is relatively flat, I would easily get 42 mpg I believe as I have on several stays in that area exceeded 43 easily my entire time there as well as getting 42 on the interstate. However in a few areas, as hard as I try I can only get 36 mpg "escaping" from Central WV so no matter where I go if it's a trip I have to overcome that first 50 miles of low FE. I had no problem getting 43+ driving around Nags Head for >300 miles last month.

I try to "compete" on the GreenHybrid.com milage database for the best FE but there is no winning against the "flatlanders" :)
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    I am buying my first hybrid, for driving in LA city and urbran highway traffic. On waitlist for a Prius, but having second thought because TCH is available immediately, only $ 1000 more, and feels like a lot more car for the money. My main concern is TCH mileage, especially with city/urban highway driving of LA. I figure this is a good place to ask, since many of you own (or owned) Priuses, and now drive TCH in LA or other urban areas. What are your typical mileage, and which would you prefer (Prius or TCH), if you are hauling 2-3 people. Thanks for your comments.
    I am buying my first hybrid, for driving in LA city and urbran highways. On waitlist for a Prius, but having second thought because TCH is available immediately, only $ 1000 more, and feels like a lot more car for the money. My main concern is TCH mileage, especially on LA city/urban highways. I figure this is a good place to ask, since many of you own (or owned) Priuses, and drive TCH in LA or other urban areas. What are your typical mileage, and which would you prefer (Prius or TCH), if you are hauling 2-3 people. Thanks for your comments.
    The back seats of the TCH are way more comfortable than the Prius. I think the TCH front seats are slightly more comfortable too. My dad has a Prius, I've got the TCH. If you run the A/C and drive mostly city streets, expect 35mpg or so with the TCH. Frequent stoping at lights and stop signs brings down the mileage. If you drive mostly highway, you could see 38 to 40mpg.

My dad drives urban city/highway in Pheonix with the A/C on all the time and averages about 45mpg in his Prius.

If you don't use the A/C, mileage goes up about 3mpg in my experience.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Just remember, in California I don't think you can go into the carpool lane with a TCH whereas you can with a Prius (you might want to double check on this). Otherwise, the TCH is far more car, IMHO, than the Prius is. Did you get to drive one? I'd highly recommend it.

Good luck!

tom
    Thanks for your comments about TCH vs. Prius, and TCH mileage. I did test drive both, one after another. TCH drives like a luxury car, while Prius drives like a golf cart (I meant in a good way). I placed deposit on Prius because of its mileage, trunk space and unique looks; but for $ 1000 more I get a TCH that's more comfy (but more plain looking, smaller trunk). So it all came down to mileage in city and urban highway driving. I do not use AC often, since I am near coast, but with global warming who know? Thanks again for your comments. I probably will go look at TCH again this weekend.
    Just fully consider what you're giving up for this savings:

15,000 miles per year @38mpg versus @45 mpg is only 5.1 gallons per month savings.
  • johnmcneelyjohnmcneely Member Posts: 8
    I'd like to see a new discussion area dedicated to tips on how to drive a TCH to maximize mileage. I'm starting to learn to drive a TCH that belongs to a family member and I have made progress becuase I have modified driving habits just a little. Sometimes I go several blocks just in EV mode on straight and level. I'd like to learn about what is working for other TCH drivers.

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've created a new Toyota Camry Hybrid Driving Tips & Tricks discussion for folks to start sharing their driving techniques. Should be interesting to see the different things folks are doing.
    wvgasguy, you are right, 5.1 gal probably buys a quick meal, but shouldn't affect cost of ownership too much. I just fear 38 mpg is unrealistic (like most cars and their EPA estimates), and at 30-32 mpg, there are many cheaper alternatives (Corolla, Civic, Kia's). Years of driving a Previa van has calmed me down, but not sure if that would help me get the most mpg out of a hybrid. I will probably bring my kid (back seat passenger and future driver) to test out TCH/Prius this weekend to decide. By the way, how long of object can TCH hold (with seat folded)? Can it haul some 2x4x8 or 10 ft PVC pipes? Sorry to ask this cargo question in the mpg forum.
    By the way, how long of object can TCH hold (with seat folded)? Can it haul some 2x4x8 or 10 ft PVC pipes?

You'll need to check that out. I'm not disapointed with my trunk size but the pass through are is almost useless. I tried to take my weedeater to my mom's but the head wouldn't fit through the hole and I ended up bagging it and putting it up front.

You could probably put a couple of 2x6's through there or maybe 2 pieces of PVC pipe, but you'll not be able to do a weekend project with one trip to Home Depot.

Unfortunately you're not supposed to tow, which also means no one has a hitch/reciever for this thing yet. I wanted to use an aluminum hitch carrier for odd jobs but I'll have to continue using my 4 Runner for those jobs.

As far as milage, it really depends on driving habits and your area. I "work" at achieving 38.7 overall mph, mostly as a "hobby" :blush: . BUT there are many sections of road (like to church 10 miles away) where I consistantly achieve 43 mpg on the trip. It's real hard to predict as there is a learning curve to maximize the FE and some people may simply have a commute that just isn't a good match for the TCH abilities.

However with that said, most people don't focus on instant FE with their old vehicles and don't have a clue as to what particular routes return in FE.

For example, it you drive a Corrola that gets 34 - 40 EPA and you average say 35mpg, you may find though that on your particular commute your milage would only be 29 mpg. In that case you may not expect to get much more than 34 to 35 with the TCH or even the 41 to 45 with a Prisus. It's all relative and some normal ICE cars actually get lower FE than their owners know (most don't keep track of tank averages and specific types of driving FE)

If you test drive a TCH try to get a NAV model and you can reset the trip mpg information. Practice the tips given in the other post on driving tips. A lot of folks are driving these and complaining about getting 29 mpg. If your test drive is a 5 mile drive and you started out goosing it to get into traffic and never really got to get on a road without stop lights you may (will)indeed see in the 20's. However if you were to test drive an Infiniti (like my FX45 I traded) that same drive probably would have shown 14 mpg rather than the 16.3 that I "averaged" OR the 18 mpg that it was capable of in slow footed drivers.

Point is it's hard to "compare" when you don't have a number to comapre to.

I think the Prius is probably the ultimate right now for FE but if you want a GOOD compromise with out haveing a car that SHOUTS GREEN, then the TCH is a normal looking car that provided excellent opportunity to maximize FE.

(My TCH does a lot better overall than my mom's and daughters Corrola_I find that amazing)
  • cbear9494cbear9494 Member Posts: 9
    Check out greenhybrid.com for real world figures on MPG. You are right that Prius outperforms the TCH on this number. Lots of things figure into this obviously with weight and HP the most obvious.

You are also right that the Camry is much more car for the money in my opinion. I have 2 kids who fit very comfortably in the back and I don't think that would be the case with the Prius necessarily. My wife loves the TCH (her primary car) especially because the hybrid technology is less obtrusive in the Camry vs the Prius.

You're lucky if the TCH is available immediately...its a 2-3 month wait around here (Ann Arbor, MI)

-c
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    Do you have yours, cbear?

I had deposits at 4 dealers around West Michigan, and I got mine in about 8 weeks from Sunshine Toyota in Battle Creek. The other 3 dealers made esentially zero progress.

I ordered around May 15th and picked it up the day it came off the truck in BC, July 11th - loaded with Nav. A bit of a drive from the Holland area, but worth it.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    if your kids can't fit very comfortably in the back seat of a Prius, then you have bigger issues than what car to buy.

Less TV; way more exercise.

:-)

Have you sat in the back seat of a Prius? I can fit comfortably, and I am 6' 2" and 200 pounds. Your kids AND your wife would be comfy in the back seat of the Prius.

No, I will not make ANY jokes about your wife's weight

;-)

I prefer the Camry, but that's just due to style, essentially. I am attracted by the cargo flexibility of the Prius, however.
  • cbear9494cbear9494 Member Posts: 9
    Actually... we're all 6'9" and 350lbs...including my 3yo....so there! :P

At least it seems like they're that big with all the crap they bring with them in the car. Agree that cargo is not a strong suit of the TCH.

And Spiff, I did get my TCH after about 4 week wait after calling several dealers in Metro Detroit. Maybe I should have driven to Cali.

Speaking of California I find it interesting that there are such regional differences in auto emissions even within a car model. The California TCH are rated better in air pollution indices that TCH sold outside of CA...clearly related to different standards in CA. It must be worth Toyota's money to put the best emission systems in only a subset of the cars sold.

http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/E-TOYOTA-CamryHybrid-07.htm
    wvgasguy, thanks for your comments and comparison (to a Corolla). You are right about TCH w/NAV being the better choice. Not only does it display more useful information, but it sets the TCH experience apart from a plain jane Camry. I test drove the base TCH and found it to be too similar to a regular CE/LE Camry (the dash, the speed, etc.), and so hard to justify spending $7K more for the same feel/experience for maybe 10 more mpg, and that's a 10 mpg increase in your hands, not a neophyte. When I drove the Prius, even though it does not have NAV, the center display still has enough useful info (and backup camera) to make the experience unique. So I think you pinpointed my problem with base TCH/love with Prius, it's the NAV and trunk space.
  • larrykingrylarrykingry Member Posts: 15
    Our first tank averaged 32.5 MPG for around town driving (this was calulated by the old method of dividing the number of miles traveled by the number of gals purchased) . The computer indicated 33.2 MPG

Today on a 150 mile trip on I-35 between Oklahoma City and Wichita, KS, on cruise at 70 MPH with A/C, the computer indicated 39.4 MPG. I haven't filled the tank up and caluated the mileage by the old method, yet. Will keep you informed.
  • mikesgirlmikesgirl Member Posts: 4
    Wow, our fist tank averaged 38.5 mpg and I have noticed that anytime I drive within the 35 - 40 MPG range, I receive Excellent flashing when I turn it off.

We are very pleased with the mileage - and we got the works on ours, and love the features. Most of my driving is usually 35 - 40 but my husband is a little less 33-37. Still good, and it takes forever before I need to buy gas for it. We are very happy with it!
  • ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    These last days were more tolerable from the temperature point of view and I started to drive without AC. I had a pleasant surprise to notice a significant improvement in mileage. My trip to work is flat road 5-7 minutes('trip') and with AC at 72 ECO from a cold start I was barely getting 27. Now, easily above 30, I even got an 'excellent' one time.
  • drat4drat4 Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my TCH Mag Grey Nav Friday 8/4 with 8 miles on odometer and a full tank. By the way, had BSM and spoiler put on---Looks Great! I achieved a 44.9 average MPG computer reading on the first tank. Filled up the tank at 609 miles with 13.22 gallons, that's 46 MPG. I am driving to minimizt ICE time, finding sweet spot, looking ahead at stoplights and stop signs - coasting to them when I can, using the best lane to minimize turning traffic ahead of me forcing me to brake, little use of AC and of course using the forums to get more tips.
    I do try to be aware if I'm imposing on traffic around me but I don't feel I should have to apologize for going the speed limit. Most of the time I end up at stop lights and see the cars that sped by me. I stay out of the left lane on 6 lane highways.
    My computer average after 200 miles on this tank is 45.1, I'm lucky since I travel the same routes in my sales job,"> I hopefully can expect above 40 MPG consistently.
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    fully loaded blue ribbon...averaged 42.8 with a/c at 72...cruise set at 70...trip from la to vegas i got 41.5...but it's more of an incline for return trip...averaged 39.9 city driving in los angeles/san fernando valley/santa clarita valley...have 5200 miles since 5/17/06
  • larrykingrylarrykingry Member Posts: 15
    8/11/06
    Our first tank averaged 32.5 MPG for around town driving (this was calculated by the old method of dividing the number of miles traveled by the number of gals purchased) . The computer indicated 33.2 MPG

Today on a 150 mile trip on I-35 between Oklahoma City and Wichita, KS, on cruise at 70 MPH with A/C, the computer indicated 39.4 MPG. I haven't filled the tank up and calcuated the mileage by the old method, yet. Will keep you informed.

8/13/06
    Me again. For the round trip from Oklahoma City to Wichita, Ks. and return. The computer indicated 35.8 MPG. I calcuated the mileage to actually be 35.75 MPG. So the computer is very close. The actually miles traveled was 352.5 miles (about 50 miles were driven in town). Gas used was 9.86 gal. I am happy about the results.
  • mirspotmirspot Member Posts: 15
    For the first tank (15.2 Gallons), I drove my TCH (non-Nav but with SR) at just about 29.2 MPG when the computer indicated ~31 MPG .... this was with AC on for ~80% of the time and without caring about FE in terms of the speed (35-85 MPH), haven't given up left-lane driving, a few sudden lift-offs (don't do it often though)...25% City and 75% on Highway (as slow as Chicago traffic can get).

For the second tank (14.454 Gallons) yesterday, with same City/HW distribution and about 10% AC....it drove 545.6 Miles at 37.75 MPG (I didn't check what the computer said).

The only sane thing I have always done is to coast when "appropriate" and avoid hard brakes and sudden acceleration as much as possible.

I'm happy with the FE the TCH offers and will work on my driving habits and pay close attention to forums like "Toyota Camry Hybrid Driving Tips & Tricks".

One thing for sure, as quite a few people have accurately pointed out before, this car wants/forces you to become a better driver.
  • joe540cijoe540ci Member Posts: 17
    I just got mine and I belive your claims, My wife came home after a fill and had 21 miles on the new tank @ 45.7 mpg.JOE
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    Congratulations on your fine taste!.. My TCH Mag Grey, Leather, NAV is doing fine.. I just passed 3,000 miles and took her in for some fresh oil. My dealer had two free oil changes so what the heck. I had them inflate the tires to 37 psi. I have read so much about increasing mileage by doing this. Most posters have even inflated to higher pressures.. The max pressure for my Michelin tires is 44 psi. The 37 has already made a difference in my FE. I am up over 37 now whereas the first 3,000 miles or so was kind of stuck under 36. No noticeable difference in ride or handling and this seemed like a safe pressure. The reason I had the dealer do this is to also have them reset the tire pressure monitor (which I understand is in the glove box).
    It notices a deviation of 5psi.
    I will keep the numbers posted here, but would recommend this to owners who haven't yet done this little change. Many dealers are not setting or checking for correct tire pressure prior to delivery. Check your pressure when the tires are cold to see what you have. Some high mileage owners have reported 39 in the front and 40 in the rear tires. I chose 37 all around so it will be less confusing when tire rotation time comes around.
    After my first 3,000 miles, I still am totally happy with all aspects of the TCH. I have no annoyances save maybe the non-sliding armrest which this forum has identified. My MPG is excellent, the ride is excellent and the only thing other than tire pressure that has been changed is the 'unlock all doors' upon approach with the key fob. Found this answer on this forum as well.

Enjoy and happy TCH motoring!. :)
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    My wife's TCH has a sound which is more like paper fluttering. It could be the fan itself making a ticking type noise. It only occurs when the fan speed is on high and as the car warms up, the sound diminishes and is harder to hear. At first it is loud enough to be heard over the radio with volume up around 14 or 15. I just took it into the shop to let them look for it. Of course you couldn't hear the noise when I got there. I hope they let the car sit for a while and then try it.

Other than the noise, this car is great. We have had two tank refills and have had 36.4 mpg and 36.1 mpg on about 95% city driving.
  • grggrg Member Posts: 15
    how do you change the unlocking of just the driver door to the unlocking of all the doors upon approaching the car?
    thanks
    gary
    If you lock button and any one of the other three buttons on the key fob for 5 seconds, you will hear a beep and it will change to unlocking all the doors. ;)
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    My first tank:
    Trip Computer was reading 41.3 mpg.
    Miles driven: 562.6
    Amount to fill tank: 13.378 gals
    Actual calculated MPG: 42.054
    I am very impressed with the performance this car has given.
    I am driving 95% highway, about 65 to 70 mph, gentle altitude changes, no big hills. I think there are 4 gallons left at the empty light warning, so it is likely I could have gotten 640 miles on the tank and still had about 2 gallons in reserve.
  • aldelfinoaldelfino Member Posts: 6
    John:

I don't know that you know that the car can stay in EV mode if the speed is less than 35 mph. What it is doing when you are in that mode is a mystery. I drove in that mode for 15 minutes one night. I was flabbergasted at that. Where does all that electricity come from. Maybe the motor charges the battery and the battery drives the wheels and that can go on for quite a while if your energy burn is low enough. One has to go easy on the accelerator when doing that.

Hope that is helpful to you. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Al