Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Picture courtesy of Expedition Exchange

• mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The Goodyears really stink. Most people have very bad wear with those tires, especially cupping and balding. I understand the Pirelli ST is much better alternative. They are also much cheaper than the Michelin 4x4 XPC tires. A direct fit for both the 18" and 16" rims.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Several years ago, I had the Disco on my short list, and even took one home for the weekend (courtesy of Newport Beach LR), but decided against it due to the head liner above the windscreen coming down so far, as to obstruct vision. I would have to lean over to see an overhead traffic lite( I'm 6'4", and long bodied). Has this been corrected in the 2003 model, or is it still a problem? I've always wanted one, and they are supremely capable in the snow, which is essential for me. With the increase in engine size, it certainly becomes a possible choice again.(2004)
    Cheers
    Pat
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    That's the only reason you nixed the Disco? What do you drive now?
    No, front seat fit was not the only reason I nixed the Disco; that was in 99, and there were reliability issues (if one was to believe the various forums). I got a MB ML430, and it has been reasonably satisfactory, but the quality of fit and finish are not up to MB standards, or LR for that matter. Fortunately, it's on a lease, so I will walk away from it in 2004. It hasn't held it's value, as it's almost down to the guaranteed buy back figure now, so MB will take a bath on it. I have always sort of wanted a LR, and it may happen then, if Ford doesn't screw it up. My short list also includes the Volvo XC90, 4Runner, VW Touareg ( V10 TDI), and the Subaru VDC Outback. I live in the mtns of NC - lots of snow, so any of these will likely do the job. Thanks for your interest. BTW, you didn't answer my original question.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    The problem you describe, "Mr. Kullenberg" was addressed for the Discovery II model in 1999. The top of the windshield was raised 1.2 inches to allow for a better upward view, but that may not be enough for you. You may need to just stay further back to be able to see the light better.

I'm now at 30,000 miles with my 00 DII and have yet to experience any sort of problem. It's going to the Dealer however to have some "off-road improvement" modifications made. And... I still love the bloody thing !!!!
    Thanks for the feedback, that's the sort of info I'm looking for. The Disco II wasn't avail., when I was looking, and now, since I moved in 99, the nearest LR dealer is at least 2 hours away.
    Cheers
    Pat
    A futherance of the above discussion: another forum ( which shall remain nameless) which is primarily UK owners, has a discussion of a 2004 redesign which would include new engines and transmissions. They talk about V8's from the Jaguar line and 5 and six speed auto trans. Any info here on all that?
    Cheers
    Pat
  • jlzjlz Member Posts: 5
    Thanx for the info about tires. Feels good to
    get some expert advice when playing by
    the rules (28/36 psi) starts hurting loved
    ones. :)

I already planned to replace GY with some better
    tires when they wear out. But that moment come
    little bit earlier than I expected. :( I was
    eyeing Michelins, but now I am going to shop
    around a little bit more.
    I just put a set of Michelin Cross Terrains on my ML, and so far so good. Nokian makes a tire called the WR which is a winter rated tire, with a long tread life guarantee, and it comes in the Disco size.
    Cheers
    Pat
    My choice for the Disco came down to Dunlop:

http://www.dunloptire.com/ourtires/snow_tires/radial_rover/index.htm

And Nokian:

http://www.nokiantires.com/indexen.html

Look for the Hakkapeliitta 10 LTs. GREAT tires.

• kq0bkq0b Member Posts: 1
    Seriously considering buying a 96 Discovery se7. What are the pros and cons. Vehicle has very low mileage (40k)with 4.0 engine. Has all optons. What kind of maintenance am I looking at and major problems with this year? Are parts hard to find. Have a local dealer. Will do some offroad. Is this model good or would I better to go with a later model like 99 or 2000. Not that it matters but what about mpgaround town? This is a second vehicle. Tnx in advance and please respond quickly.
    I see. i need to duck when I am first in line at a light often myslef.. in my protege5 that is. 'm tall torsoed so it's an issue fo rme in a lot fo cars.

FYI... the US VW Touareg, will absolutely not come iwth the V10 TDI.
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    The latest issue of Four Wheeler magazine had a positive review of the 03 Discovery. Usually Four Wheeler can be kind of tough on vehicle reviews so the changes to this year of the Discovery must have paid off.
    Caution. At 40k miles you may be looking at someone not wanting to deal with a "sticking valves" issue. Before you buy, have the dealer pull up the service history by VIN. Do and exhaustive search for anything that points to misfiring and possible sticking valves. It started in the 1996 model year... not affecting all vehicles. It may be a sweetheart with low miles, or it may be a can of worms. Get underneath it... are there gouges? Has it been offroad? Have the swivels and diffs been open and the fluids changed? How about the auto trans? It should show signs of frequent care.

At 65k miles you're looking at a major service. Parts are often hard to get, and often of terrible quality. But if you're mechanically inclined this truck will reward you in ways you cannot imagine.

It seems like an old cliche' but owning this Disco, a lady of a certain age... will be a love/hate thing. She will make you happier than you can imagine... then a month later you'll hate her very fiber. I laughed when I first heard that, but it's true.

Now that I've got the bugs sorted in my '96 she has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and she gets regular HARD use. She thrives on it. She rewards me for taking care of her. I am wearing out my tools doing so, but I enjoy that too.

Lord Lucas Disclaimer (to ward off the evils of calling my truck "reliable"): My Land Rover is the most horribly constructed piece of British junk ever to cross the Atlantic. She leaks myriad fluids, and when she's not leaking it's ONLY because she's empty. She runs like absolute hell, and I detest the very space in which she parks.

(Think that's good enough? Did we trick the Prince of Darkness again?? Hope so!! Cheers!)
    We got to a point where our "road" was impassable and we had to go cross country to get around. I was pushing down alders 2" thick and in muskeg and hummocks 2' deep. There were boulders scattered around, and having both differentials lined up on the passenger side (and locked) made it simple to pick my way thru the woods, over / around the boulders and back onto the trail.

What a machine! And I have a whole new "Alaskan Pinstriping" finish on my sides again. I was getting sorta used to the last one...

Best regards from the Frozen North (17 degrees camping this weekend!) -Bob
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Anyone ever heard of the "Tornado Fuel Saver"? It's supposed to save fuel and increase horsepower? Is anyone using any other types of fuel management systems on a '01 Disco? If so what is your opinion of these type of fuel management systems?

Odiopus
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    snake oil....

/opinion

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    The best two fuel management systems I've found are my own two feet, and how they attach to my mountain bike pedals.

Seriously, try driving around town in '3' rather than 'D'. It will take your computer about a month to learn this new behavior, but you'll wind up with about the same mileage and tons better performance. When speeds reach 45-50mph then go to Drive.

Cheers!
  • jonelcombejonelcombe Member Posts: 1
    We're about to buy a 1998 Discovery LSE with 84000 km. The Discovery was from a lease that had expired. It seems to be in good shape. I had my mechanic look at it and his only concern was the leaking valve cover gaskets which the dealer fixed. The dealer is "encouraging" us to buy an extended warranty from a company called The Warranty People Inc. A 3 yr./60000 km warranty would cost $4000- Canadian or $2500 US. What are the major concerns with the 98's and is it worth buying the warranty protection. City and vacation driving only.
    By '98 they had most of the bugs worked out of the Disco. If your mechanic has OBDII for reading the diagnostics on the truck, ask if there were any codes indicating periods of misfiring... especially on one cylinder bank (not both). It will remember those but not display a "check engine" until it gets severe/prolonged.

These codes usually mean you're getting close to a "sticking valves" condition where gum accumulates on the exhaust valve stems (from unburnt fuel) and requires replacement with "carbon cutting" valves to cure it. Only a few Discos have this, and it started in '96... getting progressively better as the years passed.

There's an old saying, you've got to "get her over the hump", meaning get all the bugs and weirdnesses worked out... then she'll operate to her design specs and she'll be a wonderful truck. Some come from the factory and work just great, others take forever to sort. Mine was like that. It sounds like the previous lessor did this... kept her long enough to sort the bugs and then turned her back in. If so, you've got a keeper. Have the dealer show you a printout of the vehicle's service history (available by VIN).

Discos are sometimes expensive to maintain. Parts are high. Some parts wear at an alarming rate. Brakes for instance: I replace my pads about every 16k miles. It's a simple job (honestly) but if I paid a shop to do it, I'd soon be tired of the expense.

Electrical gremlins are most annoying. Again, see the service history and any stored codes. If she works, she'll keep working. If there are weirdnesses you'll see them right away.

Look for rust around the alpine windows, the rear hatch hinges, the sunroofs and at the base of the rear door openings, aft end.

You need to determine if the 30k mile service was done. It's a spendy one... if it hasn't, try to get the dealer to do it as a term of purchase.

Alternators, power steering pumps, ABS pumps all seem to last 100k miles. They're each about $300 to $600 to replace.

Fluids must be changed frequently, and there are LOTS of them. It adds up, but it prevents long term wear. I change my power steering fluid, brake fluid, both diffs, the transfer case, the transmission and both swivel balls at least annually... and the engine oil every 3k.

I hope this helps.... -Bob
  • stopgostopgo Member Posts: 16
    Seriously contemplating buying one. Reservation include the 18" tire off-road ability, general reliability, repair frequency and costs.

Any '03 owners out there with opinions??
    Sorry to intrude, as my Disco is a '96. But I do know the new ones are FAR superior to the older ones. And, in all honesty my Rover has been, over the last 3 years, by far the most reliable, dependable and error-free vehicle I've ever owned. I have owned 13 Hondas... there's a reference for you. She has been absolutely flawless and I use her HARD.

The 18" tires are terrible offroad, the sidewalls are vulnerable and they're very hard to replace in the middle of nowhere. Look for the 16" NATO steel wheels (if they still fit).

Costs will still be high... though infrequent.

Watch for comments from Kim and Wasko... they check in frequently and they're both riding DIIs.

Best regards, -Bob
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    StopGo - I had a '96 DI and would have kept it had it not been for the rust (I used to live in MI).

Traded her in just over a year ago on a 2001 DII. I've been to the dealer just twice outside of regularly scheduled maintenance. Once for an SRS light coming on (ended up being a problem with the seatbelt assembly on the driver's side) and once because a piece of my wood dash was coming off :)

Not what I would call reliability problems so far :)

As far as I'm concerned, the DI's were great and the DII's are even better. I wouldn't buy anything else but Land Rover.

Thx, wasko
  • willow97willow97 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all

I have been reading these posts from start to finish for the last three days now and it has both made me laugh and cry (literally). I am proud to say that I have become the owner of a willow green 97 se7. I have only seen her once (will pick her up bright and early Saturday) and am utterly and completely in love with her already (my husband would say obsessed). To think, I initially wanted a mini van but decided I was to young (only 26) for the soccer mom look. This will be my first semi-new preowned vehicle and my first SUV. I am looking forward to having a lot of fun on and off road. There is no question that my disco will be my baby (coming a close 3rd to my real live son and husband of course.....shhhhhhhh don't tell her I said so). I am looking forward to learning the in's and outs of my disco. I really wanna get my hands dirty with that being said i have a few questions.......

1. Where can i get the repair manuals (Has anyone used the Haynes manuals)?

2.Has anyone installed the 2002 version cupholders in their late model Disco? Where can i purchase those?

this last question is for mr. tincup

Will you plese tell me the birthday of my baby (yet to be named)and anything you can about her repair history?

Thanks to everyone in advance
    Okay, since she is green and she'll help you get into the great outdoors, here are some ideas from the Yupi'q language:

Blueberry - Curaq
    Clouds - Amirlut
    Cranberry - Tumagliq
    Daughter - Panik
    Friend - Yugnikek'ngaq
    Girl - Nasaurluq
    Goodbye - Piuraa (my choice!)
    Rain - Ellalluk
    Snow - Qanikcaq
    Sunrise - Ertuq
    wind - Anuqa

(this last name is already taken by MY Disco!)

Best regards, -Bob
    I was reading my post again and realized I forgot to include my vin# va720851 thanks in advance for any help you can give tincup
  • stopgostopgo Member Posts: 16
    Do the CD players in the '03 Discovery with the Harmon Kardon system play home burned CDRs??
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    You can order the Haynes manual on Haynes.com. You will need to click on the British publishing site to get manuals for Land Rovers. The American site does not carry Land Rovers. It will cost about 17 pounds..whatever that means. When I ordered mine I think it was less than $25 with shipping. I like the Haynes manuals, lots of pictures, steps are layed out in an easy to read format. The good thing about ordering the manual from "accross the pond" is they call wrenches spanners and they say things like fiddly bits.
    Back in the Dark Ages I had to buy my workshop manuals from another Disco owner on Ebay; they weren't available anywhere else (Chilton, Haynes etc.). They were about $100 each new, and I managed to snag them for $65. I'm glad to hear there are more sources now!
    thanks for the info
    Steve:

I have a 1996 LR workshop manual that I'd like to give to someone for free (Since I now own an '01). Can I give this away on the forum, or would a post like that be considered off-topic?

Thx, wasko
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't think you can do that here, Wasco - next thing you know this discussion will fill up with guys trying to give their entire Discos away!

(is that your correct address I get when I click on your user name to get your profile, btw?).

;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    You know those workshop manuals are so thick, they make great jackstands too!!

:)
  • 26psiboost26psiboost Member Posts: 15
    If anyone is concerned how long a Disco will last my dad has had a 96, 99 and now an '02 and he puts about 150K on them in 2.5-3 years. The 96 was purchased by a woman in CO. and she emails every now and then. It currently has well over 200K on the factory trans and motor. The only out of warranty issue for the '99 was an alternator which of course was dealer only and $600 installed. Dad is a Mobil 1 freak and his Rovers get it from dif to dif.

We are in GA and the dealers in Atl have a protected territory racket going (they all may be that way) and they don't like to deal on new Rovers, so dad buys them out of state for a much better deal. The Atl dealers hate that especially when it comes to getting warranty work done, but their service has gotten so bad he uses that dealer out of state for non-critical warranty repairs and this is feasible because he travels all the time anyway.

While these aren't the fastest or most ergonomic machines they are built like a tank for less the $40K. I even had to swallow my pride when he pulled my 2wd 02 powerstroke and a trailer full of firewood up a steep hill in his rain soaked back yard and he didn't even lock the diffs!

If Rover would ever bring their diesel over here I would buy one in a second.
    Yeah, you've got that right. A friend of mine, Mike Green at West Coast British, said a year ago that he had over 650,000 miles on his '96 at that time. He had just rebuilt his friend's 4Runner (108k miles) and thought "what the heck" and did his personal Disco too. He found it was still basically within tolerances.

Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Redline, Amsoil... any of the synthetics will do good things for your running gear.

Welcome! And let me know when the diesels arrive.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Congratulations on your new baby. It was Built on 1-30-97. As far as the 2002 cupholders go, they will fit all Discovereys and there are kits to do this. Part numbers are STC53156SUC (Bahama Beige) and STC53156LPW (Smokestone Grey). Unfortunately, due to the UK not realizing how important cupholders are to the US market, the Bahama Beige is on an extended back order. The Grey is available.
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my post....

I have a few small rust spots on my black brush bar, being the vain woman that I am I would like to fix them.

Can anyone suggest a rust remover (if there is such a thing) or paint that might help fix this or at least cover it up?
    Look for a product called POR-15. I believe that's right. It's supposed to stop the oxidation, and it leaves it a nice black color too. I think...
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Does he have to go out of state, or are the dealers more competitive in Macon...better yet, ARE there any dealers in Macon???...
    Bob, other old-timers (to this board),

I saw the lucrative side-button called "Future Vehicles" on the left side of the townhall screen and clicked on through. I was out perusing the new models for 2003 and noticed that Isuzu was introducing an SUV to replace the Trooper.

Bob, do you remember some guy named Jimmy DelRay posting in this forum in 98/99 talking about the merits of the Trooper over the Disco?

Funny thing is, the Trooper is now end of life, while the Disco continues on in grand tradition. Sure there has been changes from the DI to the DII, but the spirit, soul, and brand are still intact. Same can't be said for much of the competition out there!

Lets hope Ford does the right thing and keeps the Disco torch shining bright for at least another decade. Let's hope the upcoming changes planned for the new Disco don't make the vehicle lose its unique characteristics, charm, and British quirkiness! And lets keep our fingers crossed that Ford keeps their hands out of the American Explorer parts bin!

Cheers, wasko
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I believe the replacement for the Trooper is the Ascender, which is just a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer...

Bob
    And, in truth, it is not a Trooper "replacement," just a new model that Isuzu will be offereing in the states INSTEAD of the Trooper. The Trooper will live on outside of the US and Canada, but it is done here.

After the CR tippytest, the Trooper has been nothing but a thorn in Isuzu's side, despite being an otherwise excellent truck.

The newer Troopers are god trucks, but i don't think any rational 4x4 fan would think they were better OFF-ROAD then a Disco.
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    I have been driving a new Range Rover all weekend (instead of my Discovery Series II). Whilst undoubtedly a very accomplished and superbly put together motor car, I can honestly say the Discovery is a better drive. The Range Rover simply doesn't like corners and is a yacht at sea compared to the Discovery. ACE is no doubt the main reason for this difference. I can hustle the Discovery through corners at speeds that would have most saloon cars squealing their tyres and drifting into the green stuff. The Range Rover doesn't have ACE for some reason (anyone know why?) and as such it is real bouncy castle stuff. And the Range Rover costs almost twice the Discovery !
    You mean the completetly redesignd, 2003 "new" Range Rover?
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    Yes I am refering to the current Range Rover model, launched here (UK) earlier this year. I suspect the reason ACE isn't an option is that the Range Rover no longer has a ladder rail chassis. I suspect ACE needs the suspension set up that such a chassis allows. It was worrying getting complaints from rear seat paasengers in the Range Rover who felt sea sick after a few miles on twisty country lanes. I haven't had a complaint like that since I replaced the Series I disco with a Series II.
    I wonder if the UK version is suspended differently. EVERY report here int eh US says the new Rangie is absolutely terrific on road and off.

I covet them. :-)
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I've driven both the 2003 Range Rover and the 2002 Discovery (haven't had the opportunity to drive an 03 Discovery yet). The differences are minimal at best, but then again I don't drive top heavy SUV's like they were sports cars. I found the 03 Range Rover far superior in ride quality over both the 4.0-4.6 Range Rover and the Discovery. Steering feel with the rack and pinion was also much more precise than the Discovery. ACE does reduce body roll, but once the 03 Range Rover takes its initial set, it handles curves extremely well.
    Yep yep yep, I remember Jimmy. How about "TEST"?! I wonder whatever became of that poor misguided soul.

Speaking of trucks not holding up, I bought my DI early on in '97. Around the same time my sister in law bought a Ford Exploder and my other sister in law did the same (green vs. white). Now, I'm about the sign the last payment check on my Disco and in the same period, SIL #1 has had the Exploder, another Exploder (go figure), a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and now a Durango. SIL #2 had the white Exploder ("Moby"), a Jeep GC (think they were talking to each other?) and now a Ford Escape.

I'm seeing huge amounts of money changing hands, and they both still have 5 years of payments left, trying to find something with some offroad ability, and that will "last". They both wondered at my truck costing $5-10k more than theirs on original purchase... but I've had to buy ONE truck, not lose money on 2 or 3 trade-ins.

And besides that they still call me to pull them out when they bury their 4WDs. Gotta love it.
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Member Posts: 21
    I am in the market of buying an midsize SUV, does anyone know why does the Discovery depreciate so much, so quick when the car is suppossed to be that good and specailly when compared to the depreciation rates of the other makers such as BMW, LEXUS and Mercedes?