Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    From my own 650 mi initial drive through the beautiful states of VA, WV and KY over the Appalachians I was shocked to arrive at destination showing 39 mpg right out of the box.

It seems to me that Toyota may have implemented the new EPA testing criteria in advance of the 2008 MY date. Whereas the other HSD vehicles got close to EPA values with some effort, this TCH gets there with little or no effort.

It sure does put to rest the argumentation that 'hybrids never get close to their EPA numbers'.
    This is false. Right out of Toyota's manual you only have to do the first maintenance at 5000 miles.
    For those who haven't read the many posts on the Hybrid Highlander forum and the Toyota Camry hybrid forum you might want to look at the following posts to assist you.

Hybrid Highlander forum:
    Post #2890 by cdtrap

Toyota Camry Hybrid forum::
    Posts #843 and #848
  • bakaronibakaroni Member Posts: 10
    So I drive a '02 VW Passat (5-speed). I've been using a lot of tricks to get the most mileage out of my car and its on-board trip display has helped me figure out what driving habits to cut out and what to encourage. The mileage varies from time to time (mostly due to the temperature, I think). For my daily commute, which is in the San Francisco Bay Area, about 20 miles of highway and about 5 miles of city driving, I normally get 31-34 mpg in winter and 36+ in summer. Yesterday, on my commute home from work I got 40.3 mpg, which is the best or second best I've got since I've owned this car.

In the meantime, I have the option of buying a new TCH in early July. But with the kind of mileage I'm getting out of my VW, even assuming I beat the TCH's mpg rating, I would probably get no more than 10 more mpg than with the VW. So it doesn't make economic sense then to go with the TCH. However, are there other reasons one should consider? Like, is the TCH a much cleaner burning vehicle?
  • droid13droid13 Member Posts: 29
    So I drive a '02 VW Passat

The TCH will be significantly cleaner. It carries the best rating possible for a gas powered vehicle (I believe it's something like 90% cleaner than the average 2003 model year car). The atkinson cycle engine burns fuel much more efficiency, I imagine the catalytic converter is more efficient, and the car has evaporative control. Even opening the fuel door for refueling is computer controlled. You press a button on the dash and the computer evaluates the pressure inside the fuel tank. It does something which the manual does not say for certain before opening what I imagine is some kind of pressure lock valve, then the fuel door opens for use.

Aside from that, certainly the TCH is just one of many ways to achieve good fuel economy and it's not the cheapest way either, but it's hard to beat it on the "this is really cool" factor.
  • bnewinsbnewins Member Posts: 25
    Ok. That is probably correct. Again, my dealer recommended the first oil change at 1000 to 1500 miles. the 2006 Prius Hybrid manual reccommends an oil change at 1000 miles. Not sure why it would be done on the Prius and not the Camry Hybrid, but to be prudent I am going to change the oil at 1000-1200 miles.
  • sptx89sptx89 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the explanation on the ECO feature. I have been to several dealerships and they couldn't explain it. The summers in Texas are brutal. Can you engage the ECO feature all the time in this Texas heat. Will this improve your MPG. If you can't, when is the best time to use it.

Thanks
  • houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    So far the eco setting has worked fine for me in Houston. There was only one time when I felt the air wasn't coooling enough and I undid the eco setting and it still took a while to cool off. I think that was my 2nd or 3rd day owning the car and I was not very familiar with everything and it's possible that it was user error. I haven't encountered a situation like that again. We'll see when August rolls around :)
  • sptx89sptx89 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for responding. From a fellow Houstonian, you know what it's like here. I should be getting my TCH next week. As you stated earlier, August will be the real test on the AC.
  • ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    I just came back from a trip at Outer Banks, NC. I live in Chicago. I drove 2611 miles and overall for this trip the mileage was 39.4, cruise control speed on highway 75 mph, mountains and plains roads, 5 tanks of gas. I noticed a 39.5-40.5 mpg around 65-70 mph, 43 while driving on the island. Overall, very satisfied with this car. Took a picture at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, but parking lot was full and is not as nice as the previous one posted at greenhybrid at same location. (Parking lot was full).
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    not as nice as the previous one posted at greenhybrid at same location

My wife thought I was crazy. When we pulled into the lot I parked, got out of the car but then noticed the space at the end was empty. I jumped back into the car and backed it into the space and quickly took some pictures before another car came in and parked beside me. I was able to get 45 while on the island but my drive through the VA and WV mountains brought my average down to similar to yours. All in all incredible none the less.
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    I've filled my TCH three times now, and I've got to say I've been a teensy bit disappointed in the MPG I've gotten in comparison with some of the other folks. Not disappointed with the car - I love it - but disappointed that I haven't been able to drive in such a way as to get the mileage that others have reported.

The last two tanks have been 37.5 mpg and 36.3 mpg, and that's about 50/50 city/freeway driving. Freeway includes both stretches of several miles of 60-70 mph as well as Houston rush-hour, bumper-to-bumper, stop-n-go traffic. My commute is about 17 miles each way, with a mile or so at each end where I can pretty much run on electric at 35-40 mph. I've followed all the driving suggestions to maximize mileage, but I honestly don't know what else I could do to eke out more MPG. Well, now I think I know.

I filled up again last night right before I got home (that was the 36.3 tank) and since it was cool this morning - only about 80 degrees - I decided to try driving to work without the A/C. WOW! What a difference! Windows were up, fan was blowing, but no A/C. I drove my exact same route to work in the exact same manner, but the electric motor was on much more of the time and was quicker to engage. My tank average when I reached work was 43.4 mpg. I'd guess that if I'd had the A/C running that it would've been 37 or maybe 38.

Not much I can do about the need for A/C in Houston much of the year, but at least now I can stop wondering what I've been doing "wrong".
    The A/C in ECO mode should not make that much, if any, difference. I'd look for something else for the reason you were able to get 43.
    I am still on my first tank of gas. According to the computer I am averaging 38.2 MPG. My commute is about 12 miles one way to work, but it is not too bad as far as stop 'n go traffic goes. I usually take I-10 West to work and take Memorial Dr heading into the city. What I've found so far is that it is work to keep a good MPG for city driving. You just can't let up for a minute as far as watching the displays etc :) I went through a 3 day stretch where my MPG was averaging 40. I do keep the A/C on all the time on Eco. The best advice I have seen here is to pick a speed a bit higher than you want to go and then let up on the accelerator. I do this alot, but I must admit that driving in this manner is getting a little old. Maybe it will become second nature at some point... I also find that when I do let up on the accelerator I invariably lose speed and can not maintain the speed I want. Maybe I will get better at this with time also.

I do think that if I was driving like I used to in my old car my MPG would probably be in the high 20's. I can't say for sure as I haven't really tried that yet.

If there was one improvement I would wish on the TCH, it would be that it recognize when you are going 30 or 35 MPH and go to battery only without having to let go of the accelerator.

All in all i am still very happy with my vehicle and still have lots of things that I am learning how to use. Have not even gotten to the Nav system yet.
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    My commute is about 12 miles one way to work, but it is not too bad as far as stop 'n go traffic goes. I usually take I-10 West to work and take Memorial Dr heading into the city. What I've found so far is that it is work to keep a good MPG for city driving. You just can't let up for a minute as far as watching the displays etc I went through a 3 day stretch where my MPG was averaging 40. I do keep the A/C on all the time on Eco. The best advice I have seen here is to pick a speed a bit higher than you want to go and then let up on the accelerator. I do this alot, but I must admit that driving in this manner is getting a little old.

I do, I do - I do all that! I take 288 in from Pearland and don't get off until the south edge of downtown so I don't have the benefit of the Memorial stretch :-( It's really only the end of my drive that I can run on battery for any distance, once I get into downtown or once I get back to my subdivision after work. In the beginning of the drive while I'm still in the subdivision the car hasn't warmed up enough. Or coming home the engine is cold during my drive through downtown, though when it's 95+ degrees out it does tend to warm up pretty fast and I do get some battery driving. It's just never very much either way of my commute. It also doesn't help when some a** is riding my bumper, wanting to do 50 in a 35 zone.

But...the average mileage I'm getting is still at least 10 mpg greater than on my previous car, so I really shouldn't complain.
    I can see where driving downtown where you have lots of stops and starts that your MPG would suffer. I do get some sustained battery time on Memorial when driving home. Coming out on I10 in the mornings is not bad either. I find that getting to a nice speed and then letting up on the accelerator helps on highways also. I'm sure we will all learn some new tricks as we go along. It's really nice that I have yet to stop at a gas station :) And yes it was unusually cool this morning in Houston. I'll have to try driving without A/C one of these mornings.
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    i commute between las vegas and los angeles...my first tank i averaged 41.9...that was with the a/c always on...with steep inclines and declines...i was very happy with the mpg...i seem to get the reverse mpg...better on highway than in the city...i have put over 3000 miles since i purchased my TCH on 5/17/06...i really love it all the way around... :shades:
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    When I drive on highways, I do get milage in the 40s range, which is great.

However, when driving in downtown Montreal, which (to me) is similar to driving in Manhattan, trip milage can be anything between 25 and 40. It all depends on how often green traffic lights let you coast in EV mode.

Close-spaced stop signs and red traffic lights are mpg killers because you must begin braking before having even reached 35 mph.

I measured (at 300 miles on the ODO) that battery drain and charge currents are under 20 amperes (± 5 HP) in usual conditions. I think the TCH is designed this way to make sure its battery will last for more than 8 years.

The dowside of this design choice is that at least 50% of the car's kinetic energy is lost during regenerative breaking.
  • r_nashr_nash Member Posts: 33
    I average in the low 40s. My last tank was 43.2 over 624 miles, which exceeded my expectations!

I drive mostly freeway, but always hit rush hour traffic comming home and sometimes on the way to work. It often takes 45 minutes to an hour (or more) to go 25 miles. This week has been hot, 90 to 103F on the way home, so the A/C got a workout too.

I try to avoid braking and brake lightly when I have to. I also use B instead of Drive when under 15 mph to better control my speed in bumper to bumper traffic, especially on downhill grades.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I too have noticed that the TCH *SEEMS* to do better on hwy MPG than in the City. My best MPG run was 450 miles of ALL hwy driving that registered 42.5 MPG.

It does not go to EV mode frequently enough in my opinion to completely utilize the HSD system to it's fullest in City driving.

At least my TCH is that way, but I have a very short commute, just 7 miles one way.
    I've noticed if my speed is 40mph or less, just lifting my foot from the gas for a second is all it takes to go into EV mode. With a little practice you can easily maintain 20-35mph in EV mode, even on gentle rises in the road for a half mile or more before the battery drops a bar. I do this all the time in city/surburban traffic after accelerating with the ICE.

Don't try to accellerate from a stop in EV mode unless you just want to creep at 10 or 15 mph, it just takes too long without the ICE, and really draws down the battery compared to maintaining your speed.
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    Just curious, my dealer told me that I don't need anything until 5,000 miles. I have 1,500 on it now and plan on taking it in to them in August just prior to a major 4,000 mile trip I am tentatively planning.
    That early initial oil change seems prudent to me, but I have asked them twice about that.
    What is the overall recommendation from others with some mileage on their TCH's?
    What is the overall recommendation from others with some mileage on their TCH's?

In the 80's with my BMW's they recommended an early change. I believe if a manufacturer felt they did not have an engine completely clean or that there would be early particles from the manufacturing process that needed filtered out then they would recommend a change at 1500 miles. The fact that they don't and then they warrant the powertrain for 60,000 miles makes me believe they have confidence in their scheduled maintenance.

I don't know if the TCH has a more frequent schedule than a SE v6 or 4cy, but 5000 miles seems like a conservative schedule. A lot of engines with computer maintenance controls may let you go up to 10,000 miles based on your driving habits.

A 4000 mile trip is a good example (unless you're towing) of a situation where 7500 or even 10,000 miles before you change the oil would be adequate.

I changed mine at 5000 miles.
  • jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    What a great post. Thank you! If I had read your post I probably would have bought the Camry hybrid when I test drove it. At the time, I noticed the gauge read 25.2. I asked the salesman if he could reset it so I could tell the gas mileage I was getting (he had said that the car was driven "rough"). He said he didn't know how or whether you could! I walked away from it.

I have a G35 coupe and have gotten 34.5 mpg on the highway when I go 57 mph. To avoid the irate followers I find a slow truck and stay near it. I use the truck as my excuse. Don't get too close or you might get debris from the truck.
    The speed you go is so important on gas mileage. By the way, when I go 70-80 mph I get around 28 mpg (not bad).

jlo
    I have a G35 coupe and have gotten 34.5 mpg on the highway

Wow, that's pretty incredible for G35 Coupe. I had a 03 350Z (considered the G, probably should have gotten it) I averaged about 21.07 mpg on the Z in 16,278 miles with the same engine as your G. My FX45 that I traded for the TCH averaged 16.3 mpg.

I'd have a difficult time driving the G like my TCH, too much temptation.

My milage on the TCH is posted on GreenHybrid.com. I'm currently at 38.8 mpg over 5005 miles. I can get 38 to 41 driving with purpose, but I'm not sure how I would get below 36 without simply trying to do it. If the Lexus ES had a hybrid I might have gotten it as I did like the "quality" of my Infinity but the TCH is a great car for what it is and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm guessing I'll never go back to a gas guzzler now.

(PS: I finally started pulling over and letting the blue hairs by me. It disturbed me watching someones granny flipping me off....just kidding)
  • bobflbobfl Member Posts: 19
    Hi all,

I have had my TCH for about three weeks now. Have only been running short trips to the store etc. and getting about 35-36mpg. Yesterday took a bit longer day trip to Newport RI and tried to see what kind of mileage I could achieve. I was amazed, I averaged 44.5MPG going and returned at 43.5mpg. It was only a trip of 40 miles but it showed me what this car can do. Quite a car!

Bob
    I finally filled my TCH gas tank yesterday for the first time almost a month after I first got it. I was on vacation for about nine days where the car sat in my garage. I must say I am very pleased with the car in general and with the fuel efficiency I am getting. From long before I got the car I have been reading these forums and have tried to apply all the knowledge I have acquired to maximize fuel efficiency. Sometimes even testing my own patience. All of my driving has been city, but I think my daily commute to work is quite favorable for the TCH. It's between 13 and 15 miles depending which route I take. In the mornings I take an interstate (I10) which is undergoing a major expansion. The speed limit is 55 MPH but the traffic flows out of town well. In the afternoons I take backroads home that don't have too many lights and where the speed limit ranges between 35 and 40 MPH. I get lots of battery time coming home on this route. If my driving only consisted of coming and going to work, I think I would be averaging over 40 MPG.

When I filled up yesterday (551 miles), the Tank average in the car marked 39 MPG. Actual computed ( by me) MPG is 38.4.

I drive with the A/C in ECO mode most of the time. I have turned it off on a couple of cool evenings. I have the Michelin tires at whatever air pressure they were set at the dealer.

Overall I find that achieving the highway EPA estimates is quite easy. I can't say the same for city driving. It takes some work and dedication in the city to get close to EPA estimates and if you are on a road with where there is a light at every corner and lots of stopping and starting, it will be difficult to achieve. The tools are there to help you though. Short trips also tend to impact the average negatively.
    When I filled up yesterday (551 miles), the Tank average in the car marked 39 MPG. Actual computed ( by me) MPG is 38.4.

Don't know what you drove before the TCH but isn't 38.4 incredible for such a large comfortable car!!!!!
    I used to get 22 MPG on my Honda Element. I am quite pleased with the TCH. It's also really nice not to have to fill up on a weekly basis as I used to do.
    LOL so very true! I used to get 12 to 14mpg driving my old F-150. I'm averaging 42mpg with the TCH since I bought it. Just incredible!
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Got 38.34mpg (calculated, not computer) with mixed driving 2/3 hwy 1/3 city. At this rate, I'll only have to fill up once a month! :) OK, maybe a little more than that.

tom
  • bing8bing8 Member Posts: 11
    Just took delivery of red TCH and would like to mention the mileage (MPG). First tank all city: 34.7mpg with ECO air on always. Took first highway trip and managed to get 37.8 mpg using cruise control all the time and ECO Air conditioner setting on constantly. The computer read 39mpg on that highway trip...computer was off a little.

Traded my 03 Avalon for the TCH. The Camry Hybrid is not as quiet (road noise) or as roomy as the Avalon. Will miss the large trunk but if I get 40mpg it's probably worth it.

NON-HYBRID-4CYLINDER 07 CAMRY: I did test drive the 07 Camry (Avis rental) 4 cyliinder non-hybrid before delivery of MY TCH and got 21.8 (284miles) city and 29.9 highway (389 miles)for an overall 25.88. Again this was the non-hybrid 4 cylinder.
    Thanks
    Bing
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    thanks! Maybe i missed it in your post, but at what point (mileage) did thr low fuel light come on?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    As I know this from going through this subject endlessly over the previous two years: Most gas tanks can hold more than the stated specs.

The 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid tank is rated at 13.2 gallons, and one user put a little over 16 gallons in his HCH one time.

Ford Ranger is another vehicle which has an understated tank capacity.

TCH now also is added to the list.
    I've seen the low fuel light come on around 30 to 35 miles before "empty" Twice now I've filled up at or very close to 0 miles to empty and found there is about 2.5 gallons left in the tank.
  • camygcamyg Member Posts: 11
    I did a little test on the effect of running AC while coming home from work two days in a row - first day running the AC (in ECO mode), and the second day with AC turned off and windows cracked down about 1-2 inches. The drive is about 20 miles through two small towns, 6 traffic lights, and two stop signs, with most of the rural roads speed limit at 55 mph and towns at 25 mph. Traffic was relatively the same both days, I used cruise control when traffic allowed in rural areas and tried to drive in the same manner both days. The first day, with AC on, set at 75 degrees, and about 98 degrees outside, the multi-display showed 35 mpg at the end of the trip and my tank average decreased by about .5 mpg. The second day - with AC off and about 89 degrees outside, the multi-display showed greater than 40 mpg (max it can indicate) at the end of the trip, and I know it was actually greater than 43 mpg because my tank average just rolled up to 43.0 mpg when I pulled into the parking lot in the morning, and just rolled up to 43.2 mpg when I pulled into my driveway in the evening. There was 350 miles on this tank at the end of the trip and it takes a bit to get the tank average to increase once you have this many miles on the tank.

This indicates the mpg hit could be up to 8 mpg or more. Indications while driving otherwise has indicated at least 4-5 mpg hit.

This would explain some of the large variances posted for real world mpg I've seen on this site.

I have almost 2700 miles on the car now (loaded - silver). Below is my actual MPG data to date (area is mostly low rolling hills - Central Virginia, and I have only use AC in ECO mode so far):

1st tank - 37.6 indicated, 35.2 calculated - using AC most of the time, combination highway, city, rural secondary roads. Pretty sure dealer did not have tank full.

2nd tank - 38.6 indicated, 38.74 calculated - Start of a long trip, AC always on, almost all highway miles at 60 to 70 mph.

3rd tank - 36.6 indicated, 35.2 calculated - AC almost always on, first 200 miles highway, rest was combination.

4th tank - 38.5 indicated, 36.9 calculated - AC always on, start of trip back home, highway miles.

5th tank - 40.1 indicated, 40.4 calculated - rest of trip home, then some combination driving.

This gives a calculated overall average of 37.23 so far.

Currently on the 6th tank with tank average of 43.2 indicated at 350 miles on the tank. I drove the first 125 miles shooting for max mileage (no AC and using all the tricks) and had 46.3 indicated at 125. Then I had to do more higher speed highway miles and use AC on hot days and mileage dropped to as low as 42.4. I still expect I'll get about 41 calculated on this tank. It continues to get better as I get more used to the car.

Looking forward to even better mpg as car gets broken in.
    I'm averaging 38.6 and I can't remember ever having the A/C off. I have started recently running it in the ECO mode but really have not noticed any difference in FE.

There are some things I will give up (speeding for one) but A/C is not one of them, especially for a 4-5 mpg advantage on a commute. That might possibly save you a quarter on some of the commutes people have described. I'd rather give up my paper or coffee to pay for the A/C.
  • nmtchnmtch Member Posts: 2
    My TCH came with the wrong manuals, so I had no idea about ECO mode (it's effect remains to be seen). I'm driving in Albuquerque at elevation 5000 - 6000 and it's all hill with a lot of traffic lights. I'm generally driving 40-60 mph and I'm doing my best to not over-accelerate and maintain a steady speed. The climate control has been on auto, with the temp set at 68-69. But it's hot out there, so by the time the air conditioner settles down from full blast I'm usually near my destination. The gas mileage is better than what I was getting before, but a far cry from 40mpg city. Interestingly, nobody else out there seems to be reporting anything even remotely close to 26.5!
  • bnewinsbnewins Member Posts: 25
    I set my A/C at 77 in ECO mode here in VA. Outside temps 90 to 95. If it is several miles I can get 35+. Short trips are a killer because the cataylic converter never gets heated up. Sometimes I drive only a mile or two for several trips and will get 26-28. After the first oil change @1100 miles I took a 70 mile trip @ 65mph /w A/C on the interstate Richmond to Charlottesville and got 43 mpg. :)
  • clfrunclfrun Member Posts: 11
    One thing I have learned...it depends on where you drive, how you drive and how far the trip is in some situations.

I got 36.96 MPG calculated, with that being mostly interstate driving with the air always on">, with a little city time mixed in for good measure.

I guess I don't understand camyg's posting...where is the reading referred to as 'indicated' on the car. I read the manual...maybe it is one of the screens I have not used?

Thanks...
    I guess I don't understand camyg's posting...where is the reading referred to as 'indicated' on the car.

Don't understand the question.

You have an "instant" FE gage on the left of the dash.

You have a Tank Average as one of the several modes on the screen between the Instant gage and the speedo.

If you have the Nav system you have a screen showing the consumption by minute for the past 30 minutes and you have a reset button to reset the average FE calculation for your trip.

However I'm not sure what you mean by "indicated" reading.
    Thanks...I may be misunderstanding the original posting...I do have NAV, but have not used the screen you reference...will try to do on this trip to Lansing, MI. Maybe I need to do some more homework.

Appreciate the reply...
    Maybe I need to do some more homework.

My wife gets upset with me for using the Consumption and Energy screens instead of the NAV mapping screen most of the time. I know where I'm at most of the time so I find using these screens is more interesting and helps me to understand what's going on under the hood.

While the price of the NAV system can't be justified by having these two screen options I do find them a nice bonus over the non-NAV system cars. It certainly provides me "entertainment".
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    fyi...got 42.8 mpg all highway...i'm sure it would have been better if i didn't run the a/c the entire trip...average speed was 67 mph
  • mytchandmbmytchandmb Member Posts: 10
    We're on our second week with our TCH. We also got low 26mpg on our local trips. But we logged 41+ on highway. Our actual mpg for our 1st tank with 1/3 highway, was just under 30 mpg.

To clarify our "city" driving, it is my wife driving like a typical "soccer mom" driving 10 minutes to each dropoff/pickup. The computer readout displays in the low 30's when we drive longer than 15 or so minutes.

I tried all the techniques in the hybrid forums and could not improve on it. As a comparison, our AWD station wagon with an EPA rating of 19 gets 14 in identical driving. When we had a Dodge Caravan FWD which got about 15.

We hope it gets better when it breaks in, even still we reduce our gas consumption by 1/2.
  • umpire63umpire63 Member Posts: 19
    The verage economy on our first tank was 39.2 MPG. So far the second tank is running right at 38 MPG, though most of it has been in town, while the first tank was almost all highway miles.
    I tried all the techniques in the hybrid forums and could not improve on it.

Keep trying (practicing). I don't see any way to get that low if you're serious about getting max FE. many people on here say they just want to drive it and that's OK. But if you really want to try and are dedicated to that effort it can and will pay off with higher numbers. I'm convinced anyone can average 35 if they are willing to sacrifice old driving styles (however many people are not)
    Good news...I found the screens...they are addictive...I found myself checking the screen every 30 minutes or so. I averaged 36.96 on the first tank and 42.13 MPG on the second tank...happy as can be with these numbers. I have modified my driving style, but then again I also have modified the amount of money I am spending to support the oil rich countries.
    I have modified my driving style,

I think that is the singlemost important issue with maximizing FE with a hybrid. It seems many people buy these and don't want to change the way they drive. Yes the hybrid will still do better than the 4c but the gains driving with hybrid techniques is nothing short of amazing.

I bought the hybrid recognizing it would be a major shift in my driving attitude. I was not real sure I would stick with it but after 7400 miles I have bought into this driving style.

My friends think I've lost my marbles. I've always driven 10 to 15 mph OVER the limit (sometimes more), now I typically drive 5 mph UNDER the limit. It's less stressful driving like this and great for my FE.

I've found that driving at the limit usually means you're globbed up with cars all around you. That's why I always drove over the limit. Stay in front, when you catch up pass'em all and get in front. I've drove this way for 30 years, usually with cars quite capable of staying in front. NOW, I've found that at 5 mph under the limit you don't get stuck in the middle of a crowd of cars. I absolutely recommend this to everyone. It's relaxing to drive this way (on 4 lane roads at least_on 2 lane roads people get irritated)
  • hybridguyhybridguy Member Posts: 3
    We took our new TCH out for a fun drive. The route was ~230 miles under ideal conditions (relatively flat open local roads, 50-60 MPH cruising speed, only 2 to 3 lights in each direction. I was extremely pleased with the TCH performance, ~42 MPG. Not bad when you consider we were not using any special techniques.