Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• adviceseekeradviceseeker Member Posts: 6
    After much discussion (and much helpful input from members of this board) I purchased an "08 TCH in September. I was very happy with my mileage which averaged around 33-35mpg both in the city and on the highway. However, as the months go on, my mpg is steadily falling and I am now getting around 25 mpg. I understand that it tends to be lower in the winter, but this low? Is it due to running my heater? Not happy about this at all, and wonder if I am doing something wrong, or if something is goofy with my car. Would appreciate any input. Advice seeker
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    To meet the low emissions requirements the car's first priority is to warm up the engine. If you driven mainly short trips (a few miles at a time) in winter, you will get mileage in the low to mid 20's. Making sure your climate control is in ECO mode will help some. Taking longer trips will help much.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Check out http://www.greenhybrid.com for all information on hybrids and how to improve your FE. You will find lots of information that'll help you better understand your car. Good luck.
  • sgoodmansgoodman Member Posts: 14
    This is exactly what I am getting, rather, around 27 MPG, mainly in the city. I didn't get much above 30 even before it got cold (although I bought in November). I was told that in MD, where I live, they add oxygenation to the fuels in the cold weather, which drops mileage about 10%, or about 3 MPG. If that is true, then that combined with the cold weather kills mileage. In the last few days, w/temps close to 50, my mileage has improved. But the combo of short trips and cold weather will indeed keep your mileage quite low, if my TCH '08 is a guide. I haven't been very happy about this either, but am hoping that it will improve in spring. But you are definitely not alone.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I purchased my '08 TCH also in Nov and my first tank of gas averaged 26MPG. Since then I have been averaging 33-34MPG (of course, here in SoCal, its nowhere as cold as in some other parts). Your driving habits also play a factor, as well as weather (cold or warm). With lots of hills where I live, its difficult achieving higher than 35MPG, but do-able. I also read somewhere that MPG often improves when the car is fully broken-in.
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    I was in a major accident with my '07. They rebuilt the car because they did not realize how much it effected the hybrid system. The first appraisal was $10,000... after they started work on the car the final total was $26,000!!!

My dealership did an excellent job rebuilding the car... but... my mpg's have dropped from an easy 39 to 41 mpg's to a hard to get 35 to 36 mpg's. I am bringing the car into the dealer next week and they said they will see if there are any software updates they may have missed. Don't know if this helps but I have always wondered why there is a big discrepancy between TCH's. When I first got my TCH and had not yet changed my driving style, I was getting 32 mpg's... now I would think it would be closer to 27. If any revelations come to light I will update. The accident occured at 20,000 miles and I now have 27,000 miles on the car.
  • defraudeddefrauded Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new Toyota Camry Hybrid last June, 2007 with mpg's
    advertised at 40city/38hwy. The car only gets between 24-28 mpg's. no matter what tips I try. Service Dept. says car is fine! Is anyone else NOT getting this fabulous mileage or am I the only one?
  • lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    I bought a 2007 TCH in November of 2006.
    If I'm driving in town on a flat roadway on a nice day without a/c..I can hit 34mpg.
    If its in any other situation..hot with a/c..cold with heater..up hill, etc...the best I usually get is around 26..maybe up to 28.. sometime as low as 24.
    On the highway: around 38 mpg.
    I drive normally..near the speed limit without fast starts or stops.
    It's definitely possible to get better MPGs with more conservative driving.
    You're doing ok. My consolation is to figure my probable mpgs with a non-hybrid. :)
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    After the engine is fully warmed up, what's the mileage at 65 mph on a level freeway?

Although 24-28 mpg sounds unusually low, all cars will get lower than expected mpg under unfavorable driving conditions, hybrids especially it appears. Was the mileage this low during the summer, too?
  • jkoesterjkoester Member Posts: 1
    I purchased in June of 07. I averaged about 30-32 for the first couple of months. After the honeymoon was over and it started getting cold, my mileage began to degrade to about 25-28. Since the drop off, i have been paying closer attention to the instrament readings (ECO level, mgp, ect.) During this time, I noticed very inconsistant behavior. Most of the time I have average 27-28 mpg. However i have gotten as high as 35 mpg on some short trips during cold weather. One day, after going through the car wash, my mpg reset as if i just filled up the tank. I then got 35 mpg for the duration of my trip. What shocked me was that it was 16 degrees out. My next trip I was back down to 25-28. During these experiments, i have tried to use the cruise contol as much as possible. I have noticed the mpg instrament bounce around when the milage is bad and smooth out when the mpg is good. I cant explain it. It almost seems like the battery power is not being engaged consistantly which suggests to me that the Hybrid system is defective during cold weather.
  • defraudeddefrauded Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid last June with advertized mileage of 40city/38hwy. The car has only gotten 24-28 mpg's,and rarely hits 30 mpg's, in summer or in winter.
    Dealer says "That's about right." Is anyone else having this low MPG with the Toyota Camry Hybrid?
    I have written before, but the official MPG rating is now 33/34, and Consumer Reports recently reported 28 town, ca 34 road, which is precisely what I get. But....I am in the northeast and was getting 26-28 in short trips around town (10-15 mins) and it warmed for a few days to about 60 and the mileage immediately improved to 30-32 in town, and I got 34-38 on the highway. The key to the town mileage is how long your trips are; you will see in the trip info mileage monitor that the first 8-10 mins is always in ramp-up, warm-up mode, with mileage slowly creeping up from 5 mpg to about 30-35 mpg. If you only drive for 10 mins, you will only get the lowest part of that range. If you only stop for a short while, and start the car while warm, you can get decent mileage even in short trips. And uphill grades will also markedly reduce mileage. I can get 40+ going the 7 miles to my office, a gentle downhill, and 20-25 coming back. So the temperature, the length of your trips, the grades you are driving at, your fuel and driving all will affect mileage, which indeed bottoms out in the low 20's and for me tops out in the high 30s.

That said, I don't understand those who say they get in the high 30s or 40+ w/o even trying. The distributions on greenhybrid.com have no resemblance to my experience; the reports on this site do.

Macolyte
  • stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    I wonder what kind of mileage Prius owners get when their car is cold and they only drive a few miles to work? That would be interesting to know. It's strange that although the car is larger than the Prius and the gas engine is more powerful, Toyota chose to put a less-powerful electric motor in the Camry. Wouldn't it make sense to have a more powerful electric powertrain? If they had done that, I'm sure the mileage in the Camry would be consistently better. But maybe they purposely decided to make sure it would be at least 10 mpg lower than the Prius, since that car is the "darling" of the hybrids.

Anyway, in cold weather I am also getting as low as 24 mpg and as high as 29, but most of the time since November it has been around 26-27. From March - October, I averaged about 32 mpg.

To really see "eye-popping" numbers in city driving with the Camry, you need to drive at least 10 miles on each trip. Once the car gets warmed up (after 2-4 miles), then it starts working much more efficiently. Also, if you're driving on the highway and averaging around 60-65 mph, you can easily get 40 mpg or more unless you're going uphill. At 75-80 mph I only get around 34-35 mpg.

So the car still has the best mileage of any midsize car currently available, but the people who say they are always getting in the high 30's are either lying, or they are driving many miles for each trip, so their cars are running very efficiently.

I know it's not my car either, because I just leased a 2008 Camry Hybrid for my wife (I have a 2007), and she is getting the same mileage as I do in the cold weather so far.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>I don't understand those who say they get in the high 30s or 40+ w/o even trying.

The answer probably lies in your comment that temperature, length of trips, grades, and driving habits determine mileage. After moving from the city (Oregon) to rural California, my mileage improved 3-4 mpg, to 38-40. I doubt my driving style changed much, but the temperature, length of avg trip, distance between stoplights, etc changed a lot.

Every time I drive into the congested SF Bay Area, the mileage drops.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    ALL gasoline-powered cars with catalytic converters lose MPG in cold weather. Hybrids are even more susceptible because the hybrid drive system does not become fully functional until the engine reaches peak operating temps.

Short drives in cold weather is a killer for ALL cars. But people notice it more in hybrids because they care more about and pay more attention to the MPG a hybrid gets.

My best tank ever in my 2007 TCH was 44.7 MPG, and that was at 75-80 miles per hour and a packed car. The caveat: I had a 25 miles per hour wind at my back. My best tank under normal circumstances is 40.6 and the worst is 29.6. My cumulative since I bought the car is 35.1 MPG, and that is with about 80% "city"miles and most of the trips short in length, i.e. less than 12 miles and less than 20 minutes. I could do much better if I had a 45-mile highway commute on a clear highway. The car generally gets around 40 MPG in those circumstances.

Something else that hurts people in the winter is that they do not keep their tires at optimum PSI. The cold weather saps the air levels in your tires, and you need to check them more often than in the summer. The low tires will deplete your MPG quickly.

People who live in areas where the road is frequently covered with snow, ice, slush, or rain will also suffer MPG losses, as the car needs more engine power to push the vehicle through the extra road friction that situation.

And, as a small percentage of the "general population" are liars, there are also a small number of hybrid owners who "fib on the high side" about their cars. No avoiding that. But there are FAR FAR more who tell the truth, like I do and others I know for sure do also.

Always remember that the circumstances which control miles per gallon achievements vary wildly, and "your mileage may vary" is a good slogan to remember.
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    We now have 19000 miles on my wife's 2007 TCH. She has been average 35 - 36 MPG. Most of her driving is to and from work, 8 miles one way with all in town driving with multiple stops and gos. We are in Louisiana with mostly flat terrain but a great number of stop signs and lights. Our temperatures have been mostly lows of middle 30s and highs around 60. Our best tank average was around 37.5 with our worst around 30.

I did get to drive for a few days last week on a new tank of gas. I average closed to 40 on the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster always reports about 1.5 MPG more than calculating the tank by hand. I always drive her car more as a game to get the better gas mileage, so I think my average on a full tank would be close to 38.5. After about 4 days of driving, my son needed the car for the evening as his was in the shop. It came back with the instrument cluster reading around 32.3 MPG. Knowing his driving habits, he probable took off fairly quick and stopped quick.

Overall we have been extremely happy with our TCH. Our only problem has been the back brakes needing to be replaced, which was under warranty due to a bulletin being issued by Toyota.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Sounds like you're actually doing fairly well at 35.1 That's probably off by at least 0.6mpg if you're doing a long hand calculation.

My neighbor has a Prius and I've always wanted to borrow it just to see what it could do in my hands. They don't really take the time to understand it.
  • stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    I always calculate my mileage and go by that number. For me, the car usually reports 1 mpg better than what I calculate.

By the way, has anybody tried increasing their tire pressure to improve mileage? I am curious what a higher but still safe level would be for all 4 tires.
    By the way, has anybody tried increasing their tire pressure to improve mileage? I am curious what a higher but still safe level would be for all 4 tires.

Big debates on that on GreenHybrid. I was on the minority opinion.I do try to go with 36 cold and have not noticed any negative impact on ride and handling. I don't think it will make a measurable difference and could be dangerous for the people reporting 42 to 50 psig.

I always calculate my mileage and go by that number. For me, the car usually reports 1 mpg better than what I calculate.

That's about right. But with the speedo error you actually drive more miles than what it registers so in fact you are getting better milage than what a hand calculation will give you. In earlier threads I've documented data and results. It is not an issue that can easily be resolved by changing tire/wheel diameter as one would think . While you could indeed change the height by going to a taller tire and correcting the odometer, it would throw off the speedometer reading even further. I don't know that anyone wants to drive around with a speedo that is about 6mph off.

You're probably getting closer to 35.6mpg (rather than 35.1) which all things considered is only 6.7% less than 38mpg. Not bad and certainly 225% better than most people probably getting 16 mpg. At $3.20/gallon gas it's a substantial savings over the 16 but it's just pennies a day difference in 35.6 and 38. Only the totally obsessed (like myself) gives a rats hindend worrying about a few pennies per day.
    First let me say that I have become a little OCD about getting great gas mileage, if I had not become obsessed with this my mpg's would be in the low 30's at best. Coasting and not turning on the air or heat has become a way of life (I do break from this occasionally).

Doing all of the above as well as driving 50 miles each way to and from work gets me 38 to 40 mpg... if I only did short drives the mileage would at best be in the 35 area.

After my accident the mileage dropped to around 35 mpg's and after a service visit it went back up to the 38 to 40 range. Today I asked what they did and they said all they did was run a service check on the system. They do not know what exactly happened, but think that running a system check may have corrected or reset something. Not a great answer, or the one I was expecting, but an answer.
    I am OCD but even my brain tells me on a 100 mile trip in the heat that saving 70 cents on gas (the difference in 35 and 38mpg at 3.10/gal) is not worth it. Where my OCD controls me is that I strive to get the 38 with the AC on ;)

I've experimented several times when I read comments the last two summers and I have not been able to prove to myself that running AC on ECO mode hurts my milage to any measurable amount.
  • bobbysopranobobbysoprano Member Posts: 8
    Got our 2008 TCH about 2 weeks ago. So far, we're getting 35.6 mpg in NJ. The majority of the miles are driven on the Garden State parkway by my wife. Last night, I took the car to the dealer to pick up the new plates for her. On the way back I stopped to fill up. I reset the consumption button right after the fill up. This moved my average to the best number ... and zeroed out the average. I figured I'd see what I could do on the way home, which was only about 3 miles. I was quite pleased with 42.1 mpg as I pulled into the driveway.

In the short time we've had the car, I've seen what the car *can* get as far as mpg, and I'm very happy with the car in general.
    My first rule is to NEVER be uncomfortable:-) I only cheat when I can... waking up to below 30 temperature is definitely not the time to skimp on the heat. Stay well down there.
  • tfaytfay Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone.

First, thanks for all the great insight into the hybrid world. I am now looking to pruchase a TCH and am trying to forecast how it will perform in my circumstance.

I live in West Texas and have a 140 mile round trip commute. Flat, straight, two lane, little traffic, two stop signs, 75 mph speed limit. Under typical conditions (i.e., 70 degrees), what is everyone's forecast on mpg?

My wife drives an SUV and would be using the car on weekends, so I know I'll gain a lot there. I'm an engineer and realize real world performance will vary with temp a other factors (we get a lot of wind!). But your input would be appreciated.

Tom
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Tom,

Based on your description of your drive, my bet is you will get 38-40 mpg.
    The only thing that would hurt you in West Texas might be driving 75 instead of 65 but I'm still guessing 40+. When I visited there on business at Sonora I found that even on two lanes in West Texas people pulled over to the side to let you pass so you seldom need to brake and slow down. (so you won't get much regen from the brakes)
  • 3earnhardt3earnhardt Member Posts: 14
    My wife has a 2008 TCH and her mileage dropped from about 33mpg when it was 45 degrees F, to about 24 mpg when it gets below 0 dgrees F. I have a 2008 Prius. My wife and I bought our cars the first week of Nov. 2007. It was 45 degrees F. My mileage was about 46.5 mpg. At 20 degrees F, my mpg is about 42. At 0 degrees F, my mileage is about 39 mpg. And lately it's been about -15 to -20 F in the mornings and my mpg has dropped to about 34 mpg. We live in NW Minn. I drive about 1100 miles/week, whereas my wife drives about 200 miles/week. I like the cold MN winters but my Prius hates it! I've taped about 2/3 of the lower grill off on my Prius and I pumped the tires up to about 42 psi.
  • mdetrichmdetrich Member Posts: 3
    I love every single thing about my new Toyota Camry Hybrid. Extremely comfortable, responsive, quick and luxurious.......except for the gas mileage. I traded in my Toyota 4-Runner and get better mileage but after having the car for 2 weeks now I expected better gas mileage.
    Now, it is very cold in Indiana right now and I may have dropped a heavy foot a few times to feel the acceleration but the best average on mpg I have received is 28 mpg on the first tank and the last tank was only 23.8?? What's up with that? :mad: I always let the car warm up before I drive and it's a lot of city, no more than 45 mph. Could there be something wrong with the Hybrid system? I'm a little frustrated and would love some advice if anyone has it.
    If you let the car warm up... by the time you get in the car the mpg's will have dropped a bit. My car took a few thousand miles before it started getting great mpg's (30 up to 38/40). One technique is to get the car up to or a little over the limit and then take your foot off the accelerator (see previous posts) and don't forget to coast.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    If you let the car sit there while it warms up, you are getting '0' mpg. It's better for mileage to at least be driving slowly while it's warming up- if you can handle the cold. ;) It's a trade off, mileage for comfort. But averaging in 0mpg can really hurt your overall calculated mileage.

Also, it does take time to break the car in (like the other person was saying). It will do much better when the weather warms up. Certainly a lot better than your 4runner.

tom
  • lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    Last week the temp hit 0. My TCH mpg was 23 with the heater on.
    Today, its 50 degrees..my mpg is 34.
    Temp makes a huge difference!
  • mdetrichmdetrich Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info Tom! I have read a lot of threads on how to "drive" the car for the best results with the "accelerate and glide" technique. It helps a TON! My Eco Drive now is reading between 35 and 40 mpg! I was driving it like a normal car and the gas mileage just doesn't work if you do that! I'm slowly getting the hang of things!

Matt
  • 3earnhardt3earnhardt Member Posts: 14
    Today the temp was 40 degrees and my Prius got about 44.5 mpg and my wife's TCH is getting great mpg too! But tomorrow the temp is supposed to be about -45 degrees with the wind chill so her mpg in the TCH will be about 24mpg and my mileage in the Prius will be 34-38mpg. The TCH has an AstroStart and I believe that is knocking the mpg down considerably.
  • captainbotcaptainbot Member Posts: 28
    Last week I picked up my new Camry Hybrid.

I admit I was skeptical about the mileage,since I commute 70 each day.

Today I hit the 1/2 tank mark and have driven 350 miles. Here's the math.

What do I attribute to this?
    1) Everything I read on the Edmunds board taught me how to drive this car diffently than my past cars.
    2) I drive around town doing my errands on only electric mode.
    3) How do I achieve this? When under 30 mph, every time I see the gas-engine-in -use display come on, I every so slightly back off the gas petal. Gas engine goes of, electric comes on. Life is good.

Tank of gas is 17.5 gallons
    half tank used /2
    Half tank of gas is 8.75 gallons

Miles driven 350 miles

Miles per gallon 40
  • rlairdjrrlairdjr Member Posts: 2
    Does the Toyota rear spoiler impact the mileage of the 2008 Camry hybrid.

I recently purchased a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid. The dealer threw in the rear spoiler. It had to be ordered. I am getting 40+ mpg on the highway and averaging about 33m mpg in the city. Does the rear spoiler impact the miles per gallon on the car?
    I've had it installed since day one ... so I wouldn't know the difference. My wife's mileage has been the same or a little better than your's though. Also ... my dealer wanted $400 for it ... so I'd say you did well.
  • rlairdjrrlairdjr Member Posts: 2
    I have had the car for less than a week. Still learning the ins & outs of the TCH. Are you pleased with how the spoiler looks?
    I love the way the spoiler looks, especially from the side. The one's I see without it look like something is missing. We've only had the car a little over a month, and it's my wife's car. I've driven it plenty though. Someone has to explain how to work all the gadgets, and since I read all the manuals cover to cover ... I was doing the explaining .. LOL
    Is your computer calculating 40mpg or is this just "the math"? The tank at the half way mark is no where near half way empty. You have about 3 gallomns of gas left when the car hits the "E".
    No bigger than the spoiler is I can't imagine it having significant impact on FE. If you like the looks of it, go for it.
  • pubertpubert Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a 09 TCH, no one from any Toyota Dealer has been able to answer this question.
    I drive between Sedona, AZ & Burbank, CA 4 to 6 times a year. AZ speed 75, CA speed 65 to 70. I am guessing 30% hills and 70% flat.
    Can some one give me a ball park answer for MPG?
    Just an FYI, I have rented a number of Prius's from Flagstaff and have come to terms with the gliding. I think I have that down.
    Thanks for your time with my question.
    Ballpark? 38. Maybe a tad more with smart driving, albeit a tad less depending on the size of the hills. More is possible, but less is too, albeit unlikely to be lower than 35.
    Macolyte
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I agree with Sgoodman, 38 is a good number.
  • brudoffbrudoff Member Posts: 7
    In Oct of '07, took a trip from Port Orange Fl to the Chicago area and then on to Cleveland and back home for a total of 3100 miles, weather was nice and I averaged 38.2 MPG total for ALL driving, city and highway, under 2 tanks to Chicago (1200 miles). In late Nov we left for trip to Tx, NM,AZ, NV, back to Tx and home, covered 5650 miles in mostly cold weather and mountains(not hills, elevations up to 8000') in northern AZ NV and NM and averaged 36.1 total. The more the heater was on the lower the MPG. I would say you should average at least 38 MPG
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Everything I read on the Edmunds board taught me how to drive this car differently than my past cars.

For us non-hybrid car owners, if we would use some of the techniques for hyper-mpg, I bet we would see at least a 10% improvement in gas mileage. Some of my best achieved mpg's were right after I bought my 06 Accord. I was intentionally driving carefully during the break-in period. Now, I just like to get up and go, which reduces my mileage by 2 - 3 mpg's. :(
  • vadoomvadoom Member Posts: 3
    Had my 07 TCH for over 12000 miles. Drive about 40 miles/day.

Even though they claim a 17.5gal tank, with the rubber bubble, etc, I think you only get about 15 gallons. I never ran my tank dry, but I get it down to the "low fuel" alarm light. The last 1/4 of tank goes down fast. And then I'm only able to fill up abut 14.5 gal or so.

Second, with what you have 350 miles/half tank, this means you should get abut 700 miles for the tank. I don't know of anyone getting 700 miles for the tank on their TCH. It is more like between 480 to 580 miles (some may get over 600) for the tank.

Just my 2c.
    Perhaps you would get better mpg on non-hybrids if you use same techniques as people use on hybrids (I've often thought about it myself). However, in non-hybrids you are not as conscious about mpg as in hybrids, so you can let your non-hybrid idle in shopping if you are waiting for someone - after all, you can't be burning too much gas by idling a car, right? Well, 0mpg is 0mpg.

Furthermore, all TCH (perhaps other hybrid) drivers literally see roughly what their consumption is when they accelerate - as low as 5mpg. It always makes me wonder what my Explorer gets when it accelerates. If you never had to accelerate but only cruise down hill, our mpg would be closer to 99mpg... One can wish, right? :D
    To all those people who are still wondering why they are not getting their 40mpg. As was mentioned before, it all depends...

I've had my TCH for over 12000 miles. Drive about 40 miles/day. During summer I got between 38-41mpg no problem. If I was more lead-footed, averaged about 36-37mpg. When fall/winter struck, my mpg dropped to about 34-36mpg. The nights were longer, so I felt like sleeping in more, so continue to alway push my luck with getting to work on time. This calls for more heavy foot. So to me that explains the lower mpg just fine. I don't run heater much, but do have to put up with motor heating longer. When I relax and let my foot off the gas, I get better mpg: 37-40. I've yet to get over 40mpg this winter, but I haven't been too obsessed with my mpg, so perhaps I got lucky once this winter.

As far as the low whiny type noise goes when you are stopping - that is the electric motor. If you are concerned, have dealer check it out (just in case). Or compare with other hybrid owner. I personally like the sound. I feel like I'm in one of those futuristic movies (you know, one where everything is rounded, droids are everywhere and there are flying cars everywhere - although that wouldn't be cars anymore...)

Anyways, when you walk away from the car, it makes more noises (clicks and purrs). Thats normal too - I think it leak checks its system (you should check out a flow diagram if you get a chance - very cool!).

I do enjoy the crapulator (butt warmer) - I use it every day. I enjoy all the bells and whistles that came with the - even the blue-tooth phone capability that I thought I wouldn't use. I use it nearly every day now.

The only thing I'm itching to do is run the car dry (in summer when its very warm) and let the car run dry. Then see how many literal gallons I'm able to place into the tank. Or perhaps I should Google it. There are plenty of hybrid freaks that probably did that and more already...

For anyone who has the car - enjoy it! For all those that want one - get one if yu can afford it. Worst case scenario, you help fund the technology so they can make better hybrids in future. Or at least let them know that market is willing to buy this technology.

Oh, and the last thing - I absolutely love the smart system. I wish my house had one too - I would never have to pull out my keys every again...

:)
  • captainbotcaptainbot Member Posts: 28
    HI.
    It was my math.
    regards
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    The TCH doesn't have the "rubber bubble" in the gas tank. That's in the Prius. The gas gauge (and Miles To Empty) calculation are designed so you will have roughly 2 gallons left at "empty" to insure you don't actually run out of gas.

There are people that push it to the limit and get over 700 miles in a tank of gas. Check out the forum at www.greenhybrid.com.